Photo

Star Trek: Picard Discussion SPOILERS!!!

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#1 Capt Gabriel Archer

Capt Gabriel Archer

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 1062 posts

Posted Star Date 21511.02 @ 17:29 (05:29 PM)

Check out the official link:

http://www.startrek....es-january-2017

#2 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Callisto, RSV-88001
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21511.02 @ 17:42 (05:42 PM)

Better be canon and not the reboot movie franchise timeline...  :mellow:

#3 Guest_Cdr Azernal Rin_*

Guest_Cdr Azernal Rin_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21511.02 @ 17:46 (05:46 PM)

I'm so excited!!!!

#4 Capt Jane Fields

Capt Jane Fields

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 1640 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Copernicus, GSC-9035
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21511.02 @ 19:45 (07:45 PM)

It's going to be made by the reboot film people, so I'm not sure I'll be able to watch more than 5 mins of it before wanting to throw something at the tv... :unsure:

#5 LCdr Zacharias Aktouarios

LCdr Zacharias Aktouarios

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 854 posts

Posted Star Date 21511.02 @ 19:48 (07:48 PM)

Yea!!!! I would agree with Serran, better be canon!!! Yet, I am afraid that exactly what Capt Fields says will be happen.

Edited by Mid Zacharias Aktouarios, Star Date 21511.02 @ 19:50 (07:50 PM).

#6 LCdr Elizabeth Rage

LCdr Elizabeth Rage

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 615 posts
  • Cheif Engineer/Second Officer
  • Pioneer Outpost
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21511.02 @ 20:45 (08:45 PM)

Either way I think it will be interesting to me, I like a new take on things from time to time. I have no problem excepting new things and giving them a go..  :blink:

#7 Guest_Lt (JG) Zoey Ward_*

Guest_Lt (JG) Zoey Ward_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21511.03 @ 12:42 (12:42 PM)

I rather liked the 2009 film.  It felt, to me, a return to the idea that it was less about the technobabble and tired TNG crew (I'm sorry but even Patrick Stewart looked tired in Nemesis) and more about the action and adventure that a young crew in the golden age of Starfleet could and should be having.  Sure, Chris Pine should be playing an older and more seasoned Kirk, but it got him in the chair and we can go forward from there.  

If they can focus less on the twisted and convoluted 9/11 conspiracy theories (Yes, this formed the backbone for the plot in Into Darkness) and more on the fun and adventure, then I'd be ok with it.

Have you guys seen the Pacific 201 thing going on?

http://www.pacific201.com/

Trailer ^_^ 

#8 Guest_Lt (JG) Bor'ennus p'Rett_*

Guest_Lt (JG) Bor'ennus p'Rett_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21511.04 @ 16:39 (04:39 PM)

I enjoyed both "JJ Trek" movies, and will not revisit old discussions/arguments about the qualities (or lack thereof, depending on your perspective) of them. I am happy they are looking to make a new series, *if* they can keep the quality of writing and storylines we saw in both "Enterprise" and "DS9." My only real gripe is that the article I read made it sound like you would only be able to watch it through the CBS paid streaming service.

#9 Guest_Lt (JG) Bor'ennus p'Rett_*

• Guests

Posted Star Date 21511.05 @ 00:53 (12:53 AM)

While I understand his reasoning, I still don't agree with it.

http://nerdist.com/c...-trek-vod-only/

#10 Guest_Ens Adam Slattery_*

Guest_Ens Adam Slattery_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21511.05 @ 00:59 (12:59 AM)

I enjoyed both "JJ Trek" movies, and will not revisit old discussions/arguments about the qualities (or lack thereof, depending on your perspective) of them. I am happy they are looking to make a new series, *if* they can keep the quality of writing and storylines we saw in both "Enterprise" and "DS9." My only real gripe is that the article I read made it sound like you would only be able to watch it through the CBS paid streaming service.

Have to agree with you here. The new movies were different, but I still enjoyed them - not as much as I enjoyed TNG or DS9, but it still satisfied my nostalgia for Trek. What really sucks is having this new series by streaming only. Unfortunately, that's where I see most TV moving anyway.

#11 Guest_Anthony Moriarty {Moriarty}_*

Guest_Anthony Moriarty {Moriarty}_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21511.05 @ 03:03 (03:03 AM)

As long as it doesn't end up like the Jonathan Archer Enterprise series, I'm fine with it.

#12 Guest_Lt (JG) Zoey Ward_*

Guest_Lt (JG) Zoey Ward_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21511.05 @ 11:52 (11:52 AM)

You know, if the producers are getting this much crap from fans this early on, it's not very likely to succeed.  They need people to be interested in Star Trek to get people to invest and fund the project.  Regardless of your personal feelings, they're at least getting out there and trying to deliver new stuff to us.  That, to me, is a worthwhile endeavor and worthy of our support just for getting Trek on TV again.  Yes, it's their job to build a show we can all relate to, that we can all enjoy, and one that could potentially set in motion the next one when it comes along.  But shooting it out of the sky before it even has a chance to get us interested isn't going to do anyone any favors other than tell the investors "Don't waste your money on this dead franchise."

#13 Guest_Mid L'May Ford_*

Guest_Mid L'May Ford_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21511.05 @ 12:22 (12:22 PM)

Well I'll probably get to see it by 2020, me being in the darkest of Africa.

#14 Guest_Lt (JG) Bor'ennus p'Rett_*

• Guests

Posted Star Date 21511.05 @ 12:28 (12:28 PM)

You know, if the producers are getting this much crap from fans this early on, it's not very likely to succeed.  They need people to be interested in Star Trek to get people to invest and fund the project.  Regardless of your personal feelings, they're at least getting out there and trying to deliver new stuff to us.  That, to me, is a worthwhile endeavor and worthy of our support just for getting Trek on TV again.  Yes, it's their job to build a show we can all relate to, that we can all enjoy, and one that could potentially set in motion the next one when it comes along.  But shooting it out of the sky before it even has a chance to get us interested isn't going to do anyone any favors other than tell the investors "Don't waste your money on this dead franchise."

Unfortunately, instead of the fanbase embracing the principles of IDIC, they have become fractured over the years.

Some didn't like DS9's grittier and darker tone.

Some didn't like "Voyager" for various reasons.

Some really didn't like "Enterprise."

The JJ Adams movies fractured it even more.

None of those people are wrong for feeling the way they do and not liking various aspects of the franchise. What is wrong and problematic is when someone tries to declare that one portion of the franchise isn't "the real Trek." That's because it alienates and makes those that like that part feel "less than."

As I stated above, I love that they are trying to bring it back, I just really do not like the placing it strictly on a paid for streaming service. The "Great Bird of the Galaxy" is probably spinning in his grave. Yeah, he supported merchandising, but that left it up to the consumer to choose that merchandise, while still being able to enjoy the setting he created.

#15 Capt Jane Fields

Capt Jane Fields

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 1640 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21511.05 @ 21:59 (09:59 PM)

That report above shows that this is a quite cynical attempt to use an existing "passionate" fanbase to launch CBS's subscription streaming service. Now I'm even more hopeful... :lol:

#16 Guest_Lt Khrag_*

Guest_Lt Khrag_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21511.06 @ 02:19 (02:19 AM)

I still think that it was a bit risky to attach television scripts to the "Star Trek" name, especially if you choose to go "totally new."

#17 Guest_Lt Emma Blackhorn_*

Guest_Lt Emma Blackhorn_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21511.08 @ 05:33 (05:33 AM)

My husband hated Star Trek and then the two latest movies came along and now he plays on this site. So many people who saw Star Trek as this nerdy old franchise now see it in a new accepting light and that is amazing.

I have been a Trek fan from my early years and Next Gen was my intro to the world but I love every take and new look at Star Trek. I love Next Gen just as much as I love the new movies. I even loved Enterprise which copped so much crap but brought amazing characters like Phlox and T'Pol to our door. Who doesn't love Phlox?!?

So sad people are so closed off to artistic expression and different directions. Embrace it all I say. Lifes too short to be closed off to anything as awesome as our beloved Star Trek universe.

I personally cant wait!

#18 Lt Ptouzin

Lt Ptouzin

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 514 posts

Posted Star Date 21511.08 @ 10:50 (10:50 AM)

I love all Star Trek, most of the time. My hope for the Star Trek franchise is that we stop going back to the future and go further into the future. That's what it was for the first Star Trek, for us nerdy kids that watched TOS for the first time on TV, when our world was in a very real danger of blowing itself to bits in a third world war with no survives, it showed us what the future could be like. When we were beginning to ask if there could be life out there in space, it showed us many new species. It made social comment on our world "Don't be stupid with racism, sexism, national allegiances, make a good case for your view, don't just blow people up if you happen to disagree with them, that we are not the only ones in this universe, look what we can do if we all work together.

In our world now with terrorism, and death cults, with corruption and greed, and  a world that makes small attempt to feed the poor and help the needed, even though we have the resources to do so,  we need a new vision of the future. I think Star Trek needs to go boldly into a new future.

Utopia? Idealism you say? Maybe, but that's what it was like with the first star trek for me as a kid.

What ever CBS produces I'll enjoy it anyway. But I hope someone will take on the vision and will do something completely new and fresh for our time and space. Go boldly into the future of the future.

#19 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21511.20 @ 17:25 (05:25 PM)

'10 Things we want to see in the new Star Trek TV show'

http://www.gamesrada...campaign=buffer

#20 Joshua Barnett

Joshua Barnett

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 1003 posts
  • President of the United Federation of Planets
  • Earth

Posted Star Date 21511.20 @ 17:56 (05:56 PM)

I'm with Capt Fields on this... I may need to bulletproof my TV before watching, lest I start drilling .38 caliber holes in it from my couch...

#21 Guest_Cdr Kyle DeWitt_*

Guest_Cdr Kyle DeWitt_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21511.21 @ 00:38 (12:38 AM)

I think we should give it the benefit of the doubt before we start judging it.

Honestly, I wish Seth McFarlane could get a green light to do a trek series. If I recall correctly he's stated that he would like to do so. Plus, I think the fact he's a fan wouldn't hurt anything. I've watch Blunt Talk (starring Sir Patrick) and he's producing that. So I think he could do a good job if given a chance.

At the moment this supposed-JJTrek is what we're probably going to end up getting. Some are weary on it, but some fans were weary about DS9 when it first started due to it's weak start, and it was one of the best Trek series (I'll probably take some flack on that).

#22 Lt Ptouzin

Lt Ptouzin

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 514 posts

Posted Star Date 21511.21 @ 09:49 (09:49 AM)

Not from me - all Trek is good. Except Star Trek V

Edited by Mid Ptouzin, Star Date 21511.21 @ 09:49 (09:49 AM).

#23 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21602.09 @ 19:56 (07:56 PM)

Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator of New Star Trek TV Series

http://www.startrek....-trek-tv-series

#24 Guest_Ens Fara Zelix_*

Guest_Ens Fara Zelix_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21602.10 @ 14:43 (02:43 PM)

The idea that Bryan Fuller has been named showrunner gives me immense hope.

#25 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21602.27 @ 00:31 (12:31 AM)

Veteran Star Trek writer-director Nicholas Meyer joins CBS reboot

http://www.ew.com/ar...-nicholas-meyer

#26 Alexis Tregelen

Alexis Tregelen

• Administrators
  • 1695 posts

Posted Star Date 21602.29 @ 01:16 (01:16 AM)

I read somewhere over the weekend that this was going to be set in the 'Prime' universe, not the JJ-Trek universe. It inst confirmed yet but apparently the guy who played Worfs brother on TNG and elderly Jake Sisko has been asked to come on board to reprise one of the characters, he hasn't revealed which one yet.

#27 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21602.29 @ 08:40 (08:40 AM)

It does bode well for prime time with the names they're lining up. Worf's brother signing up? Could Michael Dorn's pitch for a Captain Worf series be coming our way?  ;)

#28 Guest_Lt (JG) Bor'ennus p'Rett_*

• Guests

Posted Star Date 21602.29 @ 12:09 (12:09 PM)

They can bring on board whatever acting, writing, and directing talent they want, and it still doesn't change my feeling on them placing it behind a pay wall.

#29 Lt Ptouzin

Lt Ptouzin

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 514 posts

Posted Star Date 21602.29 @ 12:31 (12:31 PM)

Please let's do some thing new and bold, truly go where no Star Trek has gone before! Rather than nostalgia  with tired characters and same old same old, Please!

Don't get me wrong, the character Wolf was OK in the other series, but please let ST be bold as it once was. Take a risk. Value add to the legacy.

#30 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21602.29 @ 21:40 (09:40 PM)

I'm with you. I don't think we need or indeed will see the old characters again, unless in cameo, but I suppose stranger things have happened. IF they do make it Prime then I would hope they take it ahead in years, like TNG did from TOS, as a 'reboot' is what they called it in that last article I shared. They could take it ahead to ... Fedspace timeline!  ;)

#31 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21602.29 @ 21:54 (09:54 PM)

They can bring on board whatever acting, writing, and directing talent they want, and it still doesn't change my feeling on them placing it behind a pay wall.

Welcome to our world, in the UK we've been paying to watch television since 1 June, 1946  :P

#32 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21603.03 @ 21:47 (09:47 PM)

Star Trek TV Series Beams Up Rod Roddenberry, Trevor Roth as Exec Producers

http://variety.com/2...ess-1201721941/

#33 Joshua Barnett

Joshua Barnett

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 1003 posts
  • President of the United Federation of Planets
  • Earth

Posted Star Date 21603.12 @ 01:00 (01:00 AM)

Putting it on the air is also a 'pay wall'.  This is 2016, and I would argue that streaming is the way everything is going.  In our household we ONLY do streaming services, so if it was on-air only then we'd miss out.  No matter how they deliver, someone isn't going to like it.

#34 Guest_Cdr Kyle DeWitt_*

Guest_Cdr Kyle DeWitt_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21603.12 @ 02:27 (02:27 AM)

It does bode well for prime time with the names they're lining up. Worf's brother signing up? Could Michael Dorn's pitch for a Captain Worf series be coming our way? ;)

I like the character of Worf, but I think it would be best to focus on new characters. For me, personally, I would like to see Star Trek Renegades polished up and aired since I like the concept behind it.

Putting it on the air is also a 'pay wall'. This is 2016, and I would argue that streaming is the way everything is going. In our household we ONLY do streaming services, so if it was on-air only then we'd miss out. No matter how they deliver, someone isn't going to like it.

I think the issue here is that since there's still a CBS channel, they should've made it accessible to both. Heck, even give some incentive to purchase a subscription. Say perhaps you get to see the new episodes a day earlier or something like that.

#35 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21604.13 @ 21:47 (09:47 PM)

A new update/rumour to add to the mix...

'The new Star Trek TV Show will be set before The Next Generation'

http://birthmoviesde...next-generation

After a couple of minutes pondering, I actually quite like the idea of a show pre TNG. Maybe make it an Enterprise C show?

I also like the possibility that it could be an anthology show changing era per season.

#36 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 775 posts

Posted Star Date 21604.20 @ 16:41 (04:41 PM)

Oh no, really?! Oh gosh, that means they have a chance of doing it right! And they're restricted to canon, right? .....right? Unless they think it's too confusing, having canon Trek and JJ Trek on the small screen and big screen, respectively.

#37 Guest_Ens Adam Slattery_*

Guest_Ens Adam Slattery_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21604.26 @ 07:59 (07:59 AM)

I'm willing to give it a chance before I make any snap judgments.

#38 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21605.18 @ 21:48 (09:48 PM)

WATCH: Teaser Trailer for New Star Trek Series

http://www.startrek....tar-trek-series

:o

#39 Alexis Tregelen

Alexis Tregelen

• Administrators
  • 1695 posts

Posted Star Date 21605.18 @ 22:40 (10:40 PM)

The trailer looks really great. I will have to work out some way to watch it from over here when it comes out.

#40 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21607.23 @ 22:38 (10:38 PM)

So the new TV series is to be called Star Trek: Discovery...

The new ship, the NCC-1031 USS Discovery launches in the teaser video found on the CBS bookface page;

https://www.facebook...hc_location=ufi

Edited by Ens Serran Zan, Star Date 21607.23 @ 22:41 (10:41 PM).

#41 Cdr Amalek Barrett

Cdr Amalek Barrett

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 435 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer Second Officer
  • USS Ozaki FF-7168
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21607.23 @ 23:35 (11:35 PM)

I'm still excited, and I know that design is based on the old Phase II concept...but I don't like the way that ship looks at all.

#42 Guest_Ens Fara Zelix_*

Guest_Ens Fara Zelix_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21607.24 @ 01:27 (01:27 AM)

I'm surprised by how Klingon the design looks. Those pylons and nacelles really look Klingon-esque. Still, I'm excited to see what this will turn out to be.

#43 Capt Jason Simmons

Capt Jason Simmons

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 1725 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Nikola Tesla, LE-20004
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21607.25 @ 04:34 (04:34 AM)

Yea. I'm gonna be "that guy". I hate the ship design. Add that to the fact that, in the US, we're not getting it on Netflix, but it will instead be on CBS All Access, which means another service to pay for, and....no.

#44 Cdr Amalek Barrett

Cdr Amalek Barrett

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 435 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer Second Officer
  • USS Ozaki FF-7168
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21607.25 @ 17:46 (05:46 PM)

^Knowing Star Trek fans, I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more push back about the ship. It's just so...ugly.

#45 Guest_Ens Fara Zelix_*

Guest_Ens Fara Zelix_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21607.25 @ 20:18 (08:18 PM)

Just watched it again. The music playing during the ship reveal is almost identical to themes used for the Klingons which reaffirms my belief that the ship is modeled after Klingon design. 

My big concern is that the ship is very CGI-y. Like, it looks worse than the NX-01 Enterprise and it took me a while to really appreciate the ship (which, by the way, they hadn't intended to include as much detail as they did it just ended up that way because someone did a high detail version and nobody bothered to trim it down for regular shots so that ended up being the model they used).

#46 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21607.25 @ 21:00 (09:00 PM)

...Or the Klingon cloaking sound at the end of the trailer?  ;)

More interesting little tidbits coming out all the time... firstly that this rendering isn't the final ship design, they will likely be tweeking it until release day... also, that the model is based fairly obviously on the design for the Enterprise for the never made movie Star Trek: Planet of Titans... but I'm just reading that that model was actually made up and appeared in the background in Trek on a few occasions...

http://io9.gizmodo.c...star-1784257704

I did think that it looked familiar... I'm gonna have to get out my dvd's and hit the pause button a few more times I guess!  B)

#47 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21608.17 @ 20:48 (08:48 PM)

A few more bits and pieces from Mr Fuller here;

http://www.denofgeek...-trek-discovery

Looks like that ship design that so many were complaining about has been changed already, as Fuller etc said would happen anyway. Some bits about timeline and character/s. No big reveals, but with casting under way and filming beginning next month there's bound to be more coming out soon...

#48 Guest_Lt William Robert_*

Guest_Lt William Robert_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21608.18 @ 19:03 (07:03 PM)

I'm more interested in the American Gods part of the interview.

I've read almost everything Gaiman has written, and I really hope that CBS don't cock it up.

#49 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21609.05 @ 10:42 (10:42 AM)

Latest update. Nothing big yet still, but am keeping up with it (and filtering out all the BS, of which there is a lot). 

‘Star Trek: Discovery’: 5 Things We Learned at the Mission New York Convention

https://www.yahoo.co...-000000347.html

I'm pleased at the news that there will be novels accompanying the series, I do like Kirsten Meyer's writing, if a little dry, and David Mack's work is always solid imo. To me all this shows at least that there is serious thought, and maybe support, into having a good story and script, character depth, in Disco. I hope anyway. 

Casting is coming up soon, and filming very soon after that, so there should be more announcements soon too.

#50 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21609.15 @ 20:03 (08:03 PM)

Just another little update. Hope nobody minds. Latest is that the airing date has been pushed back from January to May. 

http://deadline.com/...ess-1201819639/

Personally I don't mind waiting a bit longer if it means they have more time to polish the scripts, effects etc. I mean, we've waited this long... right?

#51 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21610.29 @ 22:54 (10:54 PM)

There's been little of substance coming our way about Disco for some time, which made a number of folk wail and gnash their teeth that nothing was happening... 

Then there was the news that Bryan Fuller is stepping back from the day to day showrunner role. Another round of wailing and gnashing of teeth and speculations that the sky was falling in on the show. 

This news here http://geeknation.co...xcept-for-lead/ puts such worries to bed I think. Seeing the budget that the network is putting up for each episode - on a par with Game of Thrones et al, says they have faith in the show and Fuller is just juggling his many roles. Goldsman's credentials are very interesting I think, it will be interesting to see what he brings to the mix.

I expect we'll start to hear the casting news in the coming weeks now...

#52 Capt Gabriel Archer

Capt Gabriel Archer

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 1062 posts

Posted Star Date 21611.12 @ 03:33 (03:33 AM)

This news is a cause for concern. On one hand, shows of this kind can gather momentum and build long lasting success if done right, look at Game of Thrones for instance. On the other hand, Star Trek has its place as a family friendly show. I for one, was hoping to be able to watch Star Trek with my little girl one day...

http://icv2.com/arti...udity-profanity

#53 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21611.12 @ 08:34 (08:34 AM)

I think this period of everything going quiet from official sources and the studio leads people into conjecture and supposition. That article doesn't actually speak to anyone from the show, just a line from CEO of CBS interactive and it isn't even a direct quote. I think in this case perhaps as the budget per episode was said to be equivalent to Game of Thrones, that people have gone further and imagined other similarities. Truth is, without official word it's all just talk. With GoT we had an idea there would be nudity and profanity as HBO were known for it with other popular shows there such as True Blood. Maybe US peeps can tell me if CBS have shows already using the format, which would make it more likely to follow rather than Trek break new ground for them?

(Also from that article - Bryan Fuller hasn't left, he just changed from going into the office every day to going in once a week or so, as he has other projects on the go at the same time, just a time management decision rather than loss of interest or faith in the show. Similar happened with Doctor Who for a year from what I remember).

#54 Cdr Dietrich Kaiser

Cdr Dietrich Kaiser

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 1490 posts

Posted Star Date 21611.20 @ 19:52 (07:52 PM)

I'm a die hard trekker and while Kelvin trek has a lot of inaccuracies that drive me nuts, I do, at the core, love it all...even Enterprise!

But this new show has me uneasy...first, the fact it won't be on normal cable but on a pay channel...  Why am I going to pay for a channel for a single show?  Second, they're tossing out all these random things about the show but not giving it substance...it won't focus on the Captain...every star trek series has episodes focusing on other characters.  It may have nudity and profanity.  Personally I don't think that's necessary in the show and would be added more as a draw to pull certain people into it.  It'll push me away from the show.  There is no story they need to tell that requires showing that.  I heard the Captain may be a Klingon...in Starfleet...the first Klingon in Starfleet was Worf...and this takes places before TOS...where we were not buddy buddy with the Klingons?

Also the ship looks odd.  It seems to me that they're trying to toss in all these concepts to be edgy and "modern" and are forgetting it's not about that...it's about a story and characters in situations that allow us to look at the world today...

AND they want me to pay to watch it...  I'll watch the premiere...but I don't know about paying for the series.  I'm counting on my friends overseas to get it for me online from netflix(which gives it to everyone but Americans)...

#55 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21611.20 @ 20:11 (08:11 PM)

I think it'll all make sense when there are some proper official releases about the show. At the moment we're just getting sound bites and hearsay, supposition and guesswork. Rushed CGI just to get a basic first trailer out there was unwise, but clearly somebody was pushed to get something out at short notice. More recently, someone mentions there's a Klingon Captain cast, so people ask how the Starlfeet ship can have a Klingon Captain, but it wasn't actually claimed to be a Starfleet Klingon Captain... just that there was a Klingon Captain. Just an example there, but people are getting so little real information they are left with one-plus-one-equals-five.

Paying for tv isn't new. In the UK we've been doing it since June 1946, and some people only watch Doctor Who on the BBC, so effectively pay for one show. Personally I threw my tv and satellite dish out of a second floor window the day after X Factor first aired. If I see any new shows now it's either on netflix or the internet, both of which I have to pay for (but can choose what I see).

Disco might still be pants, but until we get to see some actual footage I'm just going to sit and hope for the best.  :)

#56 Guest_Lt William Robert_*

• Guests

Posted Star Date 21611.20 @ 20:45 (08:45 PM)

I'm just going to wait and see.

As to paying... When Voyager premiered on UPN back in 95, I was watching it a week later in the UK on VHS along with Generations.

I'm sure Discovery will be 'available' one way or another.

#57 Capt Gabriel Archer

Capt Gabriel Archer

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 1062 posts

Posted Star Date 21611.23 @ 15:31 (03:31 PM)

This a good news, I like it! Michelle Yeoh joins the cast of 'Star Trek: Discovery'

Here is the full article: https://www.cnet.com...trek-discovery/

#58 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21611.23 @ 16:47 (04:47 PM)

I hope she develops a personality or range of expressions other than glum for a change. Isn't she already busy being dull and moody in Agents of Shield though?

Maybe she just keeps on getting cast as dull, expressionless and moody and she's just very good at it  :P

Still hoping for the best  :)

#59 Guest_Lt William Robert_*

• Guests

Posted Star Date 21611.23 @ 18:05 (06:05 PM)

Umm... I think you're thinking of Ming-Na Wen.

#60 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21611.23 @ 18:20 (06:20 PM)

Ah, maybe I am! (I blame this Thelusian Flu I have today)  :lol:

#61 Cdr Dietrich Kaiser

Cdr Dietrich Kaiser

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 1490 posts

Posted Star Date 21611.24 @ 00:24 (12:24 AM)

Zan, good points...we pay for cable in the states...this is an EXTRA pay on top of what you're already paying for this one channel....when I currently pay for hundreds of channels when I could be content with a dozen or so...so to pay another fee on top just for one service...it seems a scheme...  I don't see how they will be successful when a die hard like me isn't up for paying for it.  Yeah, it's $6 and I can easily afford it...but it's the principle that puts me off...does that make sense?  Tell me if I'm not making sense...  Because knowing star trek is on and I'm not seeing it will be uncomfortable...

#62 Capt Gabriel Archer

Capt Gabriel Archer

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 1062 posts

Posted Star Date 21611.24 @ 04:55 (04:55 AM)

Zan, good points...we pay for cable in the states...this is an EXTRA pay on top of what you're already paying for this one channel....when I currently pay for hundreds of channels when I could be content with a dozen or so...so to pay another fee on top just for one service...it seems a scheme...  I don't see how they will be successful when a die hard like me isn't up for paying for it.  Yeah, it's $6 and I can easily afford it...but it's the principle that puts me off...does that make sense?  Tell me if I'm not making sense...  Because knowing star trek is on and I'm not seeing it will be uncomfortable...

Kaiser, I think it really depends on the person.

One would pay a lot more than $6 to watch a 2 hour Star Trek movie in the theater. Star Trek Discovery stream will be offering you Star Trek themed entertainment for an average of 3 hours (with no ads)  per monthly subscription and at the comfort of your home at anytime of your choosing with as many reruns as you want, In addition, CraveTV in Canada offers the first month free and you can always unsubscribe for the months when the show is not making new episodes.)

For me, the issue that will determine that whole "is it worth it?" arguments remains to be the quality of the show itself, and how much it means to me personally to support having a Star Trek show running on my TV.  :)

#63 Cdr Dietrich Kaiser

Cdr Dietrich Kaiser

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 1490 posts

Posted Star Date 21611.24 @ 11:33 (11:33 AM)

Good point...i didn't think of it that way. I read somewhere it will include ads...I never followed ds9 closely when it aired but my wife and I have been watching it on Netflix. Its been nice not having ads... I guess I need to wait and see... Part of me thinks I wait till the season is done, buy it, and binge it...cause $6 a month for, I'm guessing, four episodes...it isn't that bad in that light.

#64 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21611.29 @ 19:24 (07:24 PM)

Well if I can recover from my Michelle Yeoh faux pas, here's another report of casting, with a few details of their characters too.  :)

http://www.startrek....ee-cast-members

#65 Guest_Lt William Robert_*

• Guests

Posted Star Date 21611.29 @ 19:55 (07:55 PM)

No idea who Rapp is, but I have heard of Jones.

Thing is, Jones seems to be the go to guy these days for practical suit creature roles (If you haven't seen him, take a look at Hellboy,  or for those of you who are a bit more adventurous, Pan's Labyrinth).

Question is, will he be using his own voice, or will they have another actor dubbing him like in several other of his roles?

#66 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21612.12 @ 19:45 (07:45 PM)

More casting news;

Klingons! 

http://www.startrek....es-the-klingons

#67 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21612.16 @ 00:04 (12:04 AM)

And it looks like the USS Discovery now has a 'lead' and focus for the show, as it's been described to us;

https://www.tvguide....reen-lead-role/

The Walking Dead is another show I don't watch (yeah yeah, I know) but it seems to be a good casting. 

#68 Lt Mike Hobritz

Lt Mike Hobritz

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 581 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Pioneer Outpost - Project Socrates
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21701.06 @ 22:28 (10:28 PM)

I hope this one is going to be good, I raised my expectations a little too high for Renegades.

#69 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21701.23 @ 21:00 (09:00 PM)

Another delay  :huh:

https://ca.news.yaho...-190627055.html

#70 Lt Mike Hobritz

Lt Mike Hobritz

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 581 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21701.28 @ 23:32 (11:32 PM)

I wonder if because she's going to be in Star Trek Discovery, if that means she's about to come to an unfortunate end in The Walking Dead?

#71 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21701.28 @ 23:36 (11:36 PM)

Don't they all?  :P

I wonder if because she's going to be in Star Trek Discovery, if that means she's about to come to an unfortunate end in The Walking Dead?

#72 Lt Mike Hobritz

Lt Mike Hobritz

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 581 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21701.28 @ 23:43 (11:43 PM)

Don't they all?  :P

Well yes I can't argue with that lol

#73 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21701.31 @ 20:16 (08:16 PM)

A new teaser trailer with production shots is a bit more encouraging... 

http://trekcore.com/...otage-revealed/

#74 Lt Mike Hobritz

Lt Mike Hobritz

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 581 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21701.31 @ 20:31 (08:31 PM)

Mmm telling me video is not available Ma'am

Got this off YT, assuming its the same one

Edited by Mid Mike Hobritz, Star Date 21701.31 @ 20:35 (08:35 PM).

#75 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21701.31 @ 20:34 (08:34 PM)

Looky down the page  :P

#76 Lt Mike Hobritz

Lt Mike Hobritz

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 581 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21701.31 @ 20:37 (08:37 PM)

Went on YT and found it lol, looking good. From what I can see on it, the uniforms seemed to be an update on the STE ones and the ship seems to have been redesigned if that schematic is anything to go by. Must admit I wasn't taken with the one they showed of it launching.

#77 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21701.31 @ 21:04 (09:04 PM)

The uniforms do look interesting, with the collar for a start, but style does seem to be an evolution from the Enterprise ones. I hope we get to see a bit more like this more frequently now. I'm still intrigued about the plot. Still so much we don't know.

#78 Lt Mike Hobritz

Lt Mike Hobritz

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 581 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21701.31 @ 21:32 (09:32 PM)

Mmmm me too.

I heard that it was something to do with a war, that has only been referenced in past TV and Movies.  Not sure if I read it somewhere, that it could be about the Klingon war. But I suppose it could be the Romulan war.

#79 VAdm Paul Braggins

VAdm Paul Braggins

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 932 posts

Posted Star Date 21703.07 @ 19:54 (07:54 PM)

http://ew.com/tv/201...y-jason-isaacs/

This intrigues me!

#80 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21703.09 @ 13:26 (01:26 PM)

I just read that he's confirmed his casting. I haven't seen anything he's been in, just heard his voice in Star Wars Rebels (without knowing who it was), but he seems to be a good solid casting for a captain.

#81 Capt Jason Simmons

Capt Jason Simmons

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 1725 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Nikola Tesla, LE-20004
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21703.10 @ 00:59 (12:59 AM)

Jason Isaacs? Dude is awesome! Might have to rethink buying the subscription.

Zan. You've never seen Jason Isaacs? Wow. Harry Potter (Lucius Malfoy), The Patriot (Col. William Tavington, aka, the bad guy), Black Hawk Down (Steele), Armageddon (Quincy), Resident Evil (Dr. Birkin), just to name a few. Not bad, just kind of surprising that you've been missing out. :)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005042/

Edited by Cdr Jason Simmons, Star Date 21703.10 @ 01:00 (01:00 AM).

#82 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21703.10 @ 19:17 (07:17 PM)

Nope, never really been interested in any of those movies, and the Harry Potter books/movies are the bane of my professional life.

#83 Lt Xavier Ninestein

Lt Xavier Ninestein

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 606 posts

Posted Star Date 21703.10 @ 21:27 (09:27 PM)

I remember watching an interview with him on Breakfast telly many moons ago, and they read out an extract from his casting CV, and it said something like he was the go to guy for playing villains, which he was at the time, and he actually seemed shocked and surprised that was what his CV said.

After that, he did actually seem to get less bad guy roles.

#84 Lt Mike Hobritz

Lt Mike Hobritz

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 581 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21703.16 @ 13:31 (01:31 PM)

Ah he's good in Case Histories I think it's called

#85 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21704.02 @ 17:47 (05:47 PM)

More casting news; Wendy Crewson is hired as a Starfleet Admiral;

http://ncc-1031.com/...rfleet-admiral/

#86 Lt Mike Hobritz

Lt Mike Hobritz

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 581 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21704.03 @ 10:20 (10:20 AM)

This guy has been cast has Harry Mud too.

http://memory-alpha....ki/Rainn_Wilson

#87 Lt Mike Hobritz

Lt Mike Hobritz

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 581 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21704.04 @ 21:44 (09:44 PM)

Bit more info from today, I know she'd been cast but this gives a little more about her.

http://memory-alpha....ua_Martin-Green

#88 Guest_RAdm Abigail Taylor_*

Guest_RAdm Abigail Taylor_*
  • Guests

Posted Star Date 21705.18 @ 00:44 (12:44 AM)

First trailer is now live! http://www.space.ca/...ficial-trailer/

#89 Lt Xavier Ninestein

Lt Xavier Ninestein

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 606 posts

Posted Star Date 21705.18 @ 10:07 (10:07 AM)

Now, this is just my random thoughts, but it looks like it should be set in the future of TNG rather than between Ent and TOS. The look is just way too clean and modern now.

And are they taking their inspiration from Warhammer 40K? The spacesuit looks like a Tau battle suit of some kind, and in one scene there, they're standing on something that looks very Imperial Gothic in nature. As do the nu-nu Klingons.

#90 Lt Mike Hobritz

Lt Mike Hobritz

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 581 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21705.19 @ 10:30 (10:30 AM)

Thought it was meant to be prime universe, looks very much like the JJ-verse to me.

#91 LCdr Alexander Talion

LCdr Alexander Talion

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 2442 posts
  • Chief Science Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21705.20 @ 12:53 (12:53 PM)

I'm looking forward to seeing it, but sad that I will not be able to see most of it until they make it available in the US without subscription. I may have to wait for it to come out on blueray or something. I'll not give in to them holding it for ransom.

#92 LCdr Kalos Arawn (Zan)

LCdr Kalos Arawn (Zan)

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer & Counsellor
  • USS Magellan, FSC-28019
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21705.20 @ 22:04 (10:04 PM)

I expect they felt the need to make it bright and shiny like the JJ movies to attract the generation of fans from those films. They may be a little lost in the Prime 'verse.

It'll take a little getting used to, but if the scripts, stories, and casting are strong enough the bright and shiny won't put me off.

I'm actually intrigued by the banded about 'ancient Klingons', whatever they may be. We have no context or anything for them from the trailer so far, so while odd looking, I'll reserve judgement until we know more.

#93 Capt Benjamin Vaughn

Capt Benjamin Vaughn

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 1290 posts

Posted Star Date 21705.21 @ 22:00 (10:00 PM)

I agree with Ens Black, setting this 10 years before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise 1701 etc is fine, but it looks as if it should be set around the time of DS9, it doesn't have the feel of being pre-TOS just like ENT. It's not clunky enough :)

I think I would still like to see it though as the effects do look good. 

Edited by Capt Benjamin Vaughn, Star Date 21705.21 @ 22:02 (10:02 PM).

#94 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21706.23 @ 21:40 (09:40 PM)

More info, and a look at Jason Isaacs as Captain Lorca. Oh, and we have an airing date! (Sunday Sept 24).

http://ew.com/tv/201...-captain-lorca/

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/19/star-trek-discovery-explains/ 

#95 RAdm Kinziri Jal

RAdm Kinziri Jal

• Administrators
  • 567 posts

Posted Star Date 21706.23 @ 23:57 (11:57 PM)

I'm still intrigued by the prospect of ST:Disco. We still know so little. We have a main character, XO of the USS Shenzou. Not of the USS Discovery. We have two captains; Georgiou of the Shenzou, and Lorca of the Discovery. We have showrunners talking about having the freedom to have characters at odds with each other, or show base characteristics and friction. What does this all mean? Is Lorca the one at odds? If we're following a character on another, older, ship, is Lorca taking the Disco beyond his/its remit? Where does this fit with the times of war? I guess we'll have to wait and wonder a while longer. 

http://ew.com/tv/201...iscovery-rules/

As for how it looks, they're clearly trying to make it look big, look like the movies, especially the most recent Kelvin timeline ones. Let's face it, all the previous shows were limited and looked the way they did mainly because of budgets and technology available at the time. Disco is no different in that respect, they've just been given a lot more money - akin to Game of Thrones per episode - so will have production values far beyond what was available to our beloved old shows. It may all go terribly wrong, or it may just surprise and delight, as Star Trek has done for us all at some point or we wouldn't be here. Just my thoughts folks. 

#96 Capt Harrison Boislevesque

Capt Harrison Boislevesque

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2051 posts

Posted Star Date 21707.23 @ 08:50 (08:50 AM)

New STD Season 1 trailer.

https://youtu.be/KqBz8QsZNcQ

It's starting to look good and the StarFleet ships look familiar too.

#97 Guest_Lt William Robert_*

• Guests

Posted Star Date 21707.23 @ 09:06 (09:06 AM)

And here's where continuity goes out the window for the hell of it.

http://comicbook.com...y-spock-sister/

#98 LCdr Kalos Arawn (Zan)

LCdr Kalos Arawn (Zan)

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer & Counsellor
  • USS Magellan, FSC-28019
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21707.23 @ 22:14 (10:14 PM)

I see comicbook have done an edit on their story. That's the trouble with having to wait so long for the show, it gives so much time for every single tiny fragment of possible news to be taken out of a context that we don't know enough about yet. Only the official releases matter after all, but unless they expand on what they've given us we should just wait to see the show, and make our minds up then imo.  B)

#99 LCdr Alexander Talion

LCdr Alexander Talion

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 2442 posts
  • Chief Science Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21707.23 @ 23:49 (11:49 PM)

I didn't get to see TNG until a couple of years after it had been on TV, so I had lots of catching up to do. Now that this new series is coming out, I'll be deliberately trying to avoid hearing about it, which will be very hard. I'll see the first episode, but then will not be able to see the rest until later. I expect it will be at least a year, possibly two before it becomes available without subscribing to their stupid channel. I'm not going to get excited about it for quite a while.

#100 Captain Serran Zan

Captain Serran Zan

• Administrators
  • 912 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21708.07 @ 23:53 (11:53 PM)

So we had a few more bits of info out of comicon last week. The talk about canon must drive them crazy. The different Klingon clans idea is interesting imo. I might not like the ultra shiny visuals but I'm sure going to give the show a go. I'm most likely going to be away when the first two episodes premier, so will probably see three in one run. That's how I like my tv anyway.  :)