Photo

Federation Space Discord Server

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Federation Space Discord Server (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we keep the Discord Server

1. I Use It - Yes (19 votes [73.08%])

Percentage of vote: 73.08%

2. I Do Not Use It - Yes (3 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

3. I Use It - No (4 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. I Do Not Use It - No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 VAdm Paul Braggins

VAdm Paul Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 745 posts

Posted Star Date 21812.29 @ 19:49 (07:49 PM)

I'm conducting a poll to the general Federation Space membership to determine whether people think we should retain the Discord server or not. The idea of the server is to ensure players have a place to meet and chat out-of-game, like the large MSN Group Messages we used to have back in the day. It's a great tool for growing, maintaining, and developing the community.

However, it's not getting the use I'd like to see; it's a good day if five or six players log in, out of the thirty registered on the server and the seventy-odd members of the site in total.

So I put it to you, the general membership: should a Discord server be maintained, or would it be better if players maintained their own external communications?

Note: I will not be making any immediate changes based on the results of this poll, it's merely a fact-finding tool.

#2 Ens S'hiarra { Kurasa }

Ens S'hiarra { Kurasa }

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 277 posts

Posted Star Date 21812.29 @ 20:04 (08:04 PM)

This is in my opinion an integral and speedy means of contact with the players involved

The opportiunity to work things out and brainstorm

As well as the open chat which can be a stress releiver

And there are 16 on site right now

Edited by Ens S'hiarra { Kurasa }, Star Date 21812.29 @ 20:05 (08:05 PM).

#3 Ens Jaxx Crandell

Ens Jaxx Crandell

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 407 posts
  • Logistics Officer
  • USS Gettysburg, CA-1863
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21812.29 @ 20:15 (08:15 PM)

Personally I am not bothered either way Paul, if the whole fleet used it often it might be more useful.  

My biggest gripe is when its used by players to attack other players, which I have seen and that in turn can be detrimental I think.  I've seen it pull other sites apart and I don't want this place going down the pan.  This is my home from home and some people I consider as extended family, some have helped me greatly over a difficult year.

If people are going to use it productively I would say keep it, but again there aren't so many on it regularly.  So I suppose it could be looked upon as a disadvantage to those who's choice it is not to use it.

If I had to vote I would say lose it and if people want to use it they can do, by friending each other.

#4 Cdr Xan Macleod

Cdr Xan Macleod

• First Officers
  • Pip
  • 748 posts

Posted Star Date 21812.29 @ 21:43 (09:43 PM)

When I first joined everyone was on MSN IM and it made a big difference to the energy of the ship.

I think it's important to have somewhere we can chat, and get immediate responses, and I think it's a good idea to have somewhere central. Discord is a good option as chat clients go and if people prefer to use other things that's not a problem but at least it's there.

I get what Crandell said, but if players are going to have disagreements then they will do that anywhere... I'd prefer it was somewhere we can help moderate and solve issues.

#5 Ambassador Lorrick Sothrick

Ambassador Lorrick Sothrick

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Starfleet Ambassador
  • Pioneer Outpost

Posted Star Date 21812.30 @ 08:22 (08:22 AM)

I go through spurts of using it. When I am on it I hardly get anything directed to me and get annoyed by the constant updates that have nothing to do with me or relevant to ship, so I tend to turn the notifications off and end up just not using it for a long periods again.

I unfortunately am wish washy on the idea. Ill use it again for a while and then submit my poll answer.

#6 LCdr Shi-mi M'Rour

LCdr Shi-mi M'Rour

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted Star Date 21812.30 @ 09:12 (09:12 AM)

However, it's not getting the use I'd like to see; it's a good day if five or six players log in, out of the thirty registered on the server and the seventy-odd members of the site in total.

Thing is, some players have multiple accounts. By saying 30 registered on discord vs 70 odd members on site, how many are second accounts? Are you counting ex players who are still registered but no longer active on either system?

I know I've never used discord. Mostly because I don't have time, and because with most things, I don't understand it, and only use or add stuff to my PC if it's absolutly nessecary. I do remember talking with McLeod via MSN in the old days, but then if I did, nothing else got done because I only had limited access back then.

#7 VAdm Paul Braggins

VAdm Paul Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 745 posts

Posted Star Date 21812.30 @ 11:41 (11:41 AM)

Thing is, some players have multiple accounts. By saying 30 registered on discord vs 70 odd members on site, how many are second accounts? Are you counting ex players who are still registered but no longer active on either system?

None, that's a list of active players, not active accounts. 

#8 Lt Kelshin Alotharis

Lt Kelshin Alotharis

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 363 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Gettysburg, CA-1863
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21812.30 @ 19:07 (07:07 PM)

I like using discord to chat since its an easy-to-use app on my phone as well as on my laptop, with low maintenance, and I can use it while on wireless data without bloating my data usage. Also, some of you might not know this, but if your account is on a discord server with another, you can chat without having to friend each other, which can get tedious on finding each other's usernames and inputting them. The Discord server just makes it easier to communicate, and even though we don't use the voice communications, we still learn a lot by what we post in the other channels, from TV to video games, to tabletop. It just makes communicating with your shipmates and fleetmates easier.

#9 Mid Nathan Ramius

Mid Nathan Ramius

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted Star Date 21812.30 @ 20:38 (08:38 PM)

I guess my question would be, does the Discord server have a cost, or time component attached to it for its maintenance?

I personally enjoy hopping on Discord whenever I can to catch-up with people and chat - though I'd like to use it more. However, if this is a burden to Fed Space in the form of time/money on the admins, then I would take that into account too.

#10 Lt Ptouzin

Lt Ptouzin

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 495 posts

Posted Star Date 21812.30 @ 23:26 (11:26 PM)

I use it on occasion to look at what other players are talking about. Living in Australia, when I go on Discord due to time difference everyone else is asleep somewhere else in the world. I had my first conversation ever a couple of days ago. It's difficult for us people down under (on the other side of the world or in the outer rim to use another metaphor.) I voted yes because I can see the potential of good community development, but perhaps there are other methods that would be better for less or no cost?

Edited by Lt Ptouzin, Star Date 21812.30 @ 23:28 (11:28 PM).

#11 Ens Drew Willard

Ens Drew Willard

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted Star Date 21901.02 @ 01:05 (01:05 AM)

as far as group chats go, multi platform wise I only really know of 2. Discord and Skype and both are free. Skype imho has become bloat-ish and not as good since the Microsoft buyout, Friends/Family/Fedspace all use Discord and the servers one chooses to setup are free. 

For those such as myself who are attached at the hip to their phone/computer Discord is pretty awesome to keep in touch with the site members on a whim.

#12 LCdr Alexander Talion

LCdr Alexander Talion

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1957 posts

Posted Star Date 21901.05 @ 01:14 (01:14 AM)

I have never used Discord in connection to Fed Space. I have used it for other gaming groups, but don't personally plan to use it in connection to this site. I can certainly see where it could be of use.

Back in the beginning, MSN was the thing. It was a double edged sword though. These days, I stick to emails.

Discord doesn't cost anything, so it is just a matter of keeping it official and as a logistical tool. Nobody is required to use it. Options are typically good, but we have a vast number of options open these days. 

If someone wants to contact someone, we all have emails. Should there ever be a need to have a "town hall" moment, Discord is a perfect medium for that.