AT/D02 - Captain's Ready Room

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Adm Paul Braggins

Adm Paul Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 934 posts

Posted Star Date 21901.17 @ 00:12 (12:12 AM)

==

#2 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22012.23 @ 23:39 (11:39 PM)

== 0845 ==

The only nice thing Tyra could say about the task force being at rest was that it allowed her to build a routine that she could actually stick to. It started with a lovely 0400 wake up call to work out with Thorsdottir and moved along with a purpose until she found herself in her office around 0800. If possible, she would find her way back home around 1200 to eat lunch with her husband and daughter and ultimately, would be try to be back home no later than 1830, which had worked for the most part. Yes, there had been hiccups because unfortunately, there was no accounting for crises, both overblown and legitimate, but this was probably the closest thing she had ever had to a work-life balance.

However, that was the only positive to the current status of the task force and she had to constantly remind herself of it. Per HQ, a resupply was about 30 days from reaching them, which, fortunately, they would be able to manage. Yes, they had lost the Callisto from the task force but given how quickly the ship had been plagued by poor luck, among other things, it was likely best that she was heading back to reset. Tyra had made the decision to send the worst injured back with Callisto, knowing they couldn't afford the drain on their resources and personnel, but that also left holes that needed to be filled from a finite personnel pool. Balancing the needs of each of the ships and their departments had been the greatest drain of her time and energy and had left her questioning whether leading a task force was truly what she wanted to be doing with her life and career. On the one hand, it truly wasn't that different from the challenges and considerations required when orchestrating, planning and commanding a large scale ground operation but on the other hand, it was even further from her roots than just straight command.

It had taken numerous conferences with the respective COs, running down the losses from each ship's departments, to reach an acceptable personnel shuffle that met everyone's needs to the best of her abilities. Each CO had been more than willing to present their needs but most of them had been far more hesitant to provide her with an estimate of how low each of their departments could dip before losing functionality. She hadn't blamed them; no CO wanted to lose officers, certainly not when a replenish was a month away at best, but this was about the success of the task force, which meant no CO, herself included, could hoard all the toys. There had been some points of contention, particularly between the Vesta COs, who had larger crews but larger ships with more needs, and the smaller vessels, who had smaller crews where the loss of even one or two was a huge impact but also could maintain operation with less officers, but they had reached a compromise where everyone was having to make do in some sense or the other. 

For the Artemis, they had sent a senior doctor over to Freyja to augment the lack of a CMO. They'd also sent a few security officers to Nike as, somehow, their department had taken a beating when falling out of transwarp. There were a few others that were loaned out for one reason or another but some of those would return before they shifted into the next phase of operation. As far as Artemis' needs, they had lost a few scientists to injuries but unfortunately, the task force didn't have a great surplus to augment their deficiencies. Artemis had also lost a very good pilot in Kit Frost; Tyra didn't know the details of her injuries but when the request had come for her to go with Callisto, it had been a no brainer after everything she had done for the crew. However, that had left a hole that needed to be filled; no, Artemis was not short on good pilots but they were short on good pilots that were capable of focusing on helm full time. Whether she had successfully found a replacement or not was anyone's guess but she had, at least gotten a warm body for the tactical department to train. The same could be said for the other handful of officers reporting in over the next week. 

The redhead glanced at her screen, checking her schedule as she grabbed her cup of coffee. She had one report in scheduled for 0900 and two more in the afternoon, along with a handful the next day. In the mean time, she had asked each of the department heads to give her a rundown of what they were currently working on, what their current assessment of their personnel was, whether there were issues that needed to be address, and if there was anything else she needed to be aware of. Each of her senior officers had turned theirs in the day before and they now sat on the edge of her desk, beckoning for her attention. In all, she suspected that both the security report and the medical report would give her headaches, due to certain personnel in the respective departments, and she was very certain that the science report would have her falling asleep. Elias' engineering report might be a safe choice but depending on the level detail, it might also kill her. There was a chance that the tactical report would possess some of Briggs' sarcasm, which might lighten the boring nature of departmental reports, and that seemed like the safest choice at the moment.

"You want to read these for me?' she asked, looking over at the red border collie that was sitting in his bed on the upper level of her office. His right ear flopped, an indication that he had heard her, but his expression seemed hardly appreciative of the offer. In fact, he seemed to be inclined to do nothing other than nap the morning away, which was a sharp contrast to the energy he had exhibited that morning. "Fine. Be that way."

Mr. Briggs, don't let me down now... she thought as she grabbed the PADD and leaned back in her chair, coffee balancing on her knee as she began reading.

#3 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Discord:Telsekk
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22012.23 @ 23:42 (11:42 PM)

==USS Jupiter Deflector control==

You got yourself in it again, just couldn't keep your mouth shut about the layup tunnel. 

Asil sat a pit deep inside the USS Jupiter's deflector control room his arms and hands caked with thermoelectric grease.  His headlamp dimmed, "dammit" He cursed   This deep in the machine, there wasn't much light apart from the glow of the banks of isolinear control chips.  It was hot as well, deep in the bowels of the ship environmental controls were not as "interactive" as those in areas normally occupied by the crew.  He carefully removed three isolinear chips from their socket, put them in a tool kit and replaced them.  

"Do you see anything? The voice of the young engineer echoed from above.

Asil climbed the single rail ladder up to the deck where the engineer was.  He began to clean the grease from  "I got these changed out before my light died," He produced three isolinear chips or rather fragments of three isolinear chips, singed and fractured, each in several pieces. "We should be good to go for now but they need to overhaul the equipment down there."

"Great work Middie, I'll make sure to tell the captain when we get underway again.  Now go clean up, with the slipstream back up we'll be arriving at the rendezvous in a few hours instead of a week."

The young ensign reported up the chain of command that repairs were complete.  Before they left, power surged through the circuitry and the great machine was alive. Asil stood in the glow of greens and blues and then felt the ship break the slipstream barrier.  His stomach felt like it jumped half a meter forward.

I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to that..

==USS Jupiter JO Quarters 1 hour before rendezvous with USS Artemis==

Standing in front of the replicator wearing only his undergarments, Asil placed his soiled uniform inside and initiated the recycle program.  "Goodbye old friend" he said as the grease stained coverall dematerialized.  

[Computer, One tactical uniform]  

The computer acknowledged with a few beeps and produced a brand new uniform.  After putting on the coverall he did a few squats to stretch the fabric a bit.  He then put on the jacket and communicator.  He grabbed a small duffel bag which he'd packed earlier and took a last look around the small room and out of the porthole window.  The colors alternated from green to blue and then purple as the Jupiter moved through the slipstream. 

The ship wide announcement system whistled and the captain's voice came up.

[This is the captain, the ship is exiting the slipstream, brace for braking maneuver]  

A second or two passed as Asil stood in the doorway. He planted his feet and held onto the door jam.  He could hear the ship power down and felt the less than gentle lurch of the great mass decelerating.  The queasiness lasted for another second and he continued on his way to the transporter room to report to his new command. His time on the Jupiter had been short but well spent. 

==Transporter room on board USS Artemis==

"Welcome aboard, Midshipman"  the transporter operator said as Asil materialized on the pad.  Asil nodded and said "Thank you, how are you today?"

"Another glorious day in the Delta Quadrant sir." 

Asil smiled and as the door opened then he stopped and asked "is the Captain on board? I wasn't sure if the command crew returned from the Talaxian outpost."  

"Ahhh yes sir Captain Crawford is aboard, she returned shortly before the Jupiter arrived." 

"Thank you again" Asil said before continuing through to the wide corridor.  He made his way to the nearest turbolift and up to the bridge.  Although he'd worked on a Vesta class during an overhaul, the shipyard hadn't prepared him for the sight of a fully functional bridge.  A modern take on a more traditional bridge style reminded him of the Constitution and Excelsior coupled with a long arc shaped tactical console directly behind the Captain's chair like the Galaxy class variants. He got to the door of the Captain's ready room, took a deep breath and rang the chime.

=Tag Captain Tyra Crawford=

#4 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22012.27 @ 04:37 (04:37 AM)

== 0855 ==

[I didn't know something so small could make such a noise. She sounds like a banshee, or what I imagine a banshee sounds like,] her husband stated, his head in a hand and the audible sound of a toddler screaming bloody murder coming through clearly. [Does she eventually run out of air? Or I don't know... pass out? She's as red as her hair...]

"I don't know... I've never gotten that far. I've only been gone an hour," she commented. Part of her was satisfied that her husband was now experiencing the hell that was a toddler in the terrible twos, an experience she was all too familiar with after an extended single parenting experience during their last mission, and part of her felt immense empathy for him as no one should have to endear a inconsolable little one. "What triggered it?" she asked, winding slightly as Evie's pitch increased for a second.

[I gave her the blue cup when apparently, she wanted the purple cup. I corrected my unforgivable failure to read her mind but that, obviously, didn't work. How do I stop this? Is there a toddler whisperer aboard?] Thomas Grayson, retired Admiral and former Fleet Commander of the 4th Fleet, sounded as if he was ready to send up a white flag in his war against the terrible twos after only one skirmish. Oh, if only he knew...

"Her rabbit should be in the crib. Her blanket was on the back of the couch. There's some apple slices in the kitchen from breakfast. Worst case scenario, ice cream has worked as a bribe," she suggested, offering her husband an encouraging smile. "The only toddler whisperer on board is currently occupied with his normal 0900 nap," she glanced past the screen to look at Colt, who had moved to the couch and was snoring gently. "I'll see if Cera can find time to come up and bring him to y'all. I've got an appointment in a minute but once it's done, I can come back and see if I can reason with her."

[I thought you always said you don't negotiate with terrorists?] he asked, a hint of a smile creeping through before it turned into a wince at another increase in pitch.

"It's a little different when you live with the terrorist. I wish you good luck with your war and I'll provide reinforcements as soon as I can. Love you and remember, she's really cute 80% of the time," she said, giving her husband another encouraging smile before closing the channel to her quarters, which provided her hearing a much needed break. 

With her ready room in silence besides Colt's snoring, she let out a sigh. Prior to the emergency interruption, she had been reviewing Briggs' report, which had met her standards for sarcasm and had kept her more interested than she had hoped. However, a glance at her chronometer told her she needed to take another glance at the file on the officer that would be reporting in, not that the file was extensive by any stretch of the imagination. 

Midshipman Asil wasn't neon green in terms of experience but he was still a pretty bright shade of green, having only been on the Jupiter since its launch with Pathfinder. She wasn't even sure that was long enough to get the squeak out of a new midshipman, never mind actually teaching them anything about how an actual ship ran. It was best to just assume he knew as much as the midshipman straight out of the Academy and move on from there.  On that bright side, the midshipman was a slightly older than most of their midshipman and that hopefully indicated they wouldn't have some of the maturity issues that had been plaguing some of their recent graduates. He also had real life experience beyond Star Fleet, seeming to have spent three years as a civilian engineer prior to being accepted into the Academy, and she felt that was certainly worth noting as she was strong supporter of the concept of cross training, especially on missions such as this.

She was reading through some of the instructor notes from the Academy when she noted Colt stirring out of the corner of her eye. For a second, the dog's ears stood straight up before one flopped down as he stared towards the door. A second later, the door chimed, signaling that her early detection doorbell was still operational, if a little drowsy.

"Come in," she called out as she set her coffee cup down and stood up. 

The door's swished open at her command to reveal the identity of her caller. The young man standing at her door matched the picture in the file: Midshipman Asil appeared to be a tall Human male with brown hair and eyes that she suspected were colored by tricks of light. However, despite his appearance, she knew his file had listed him as Argelian, which was an oddity to say the least. It was unusual for a member of a society with such a emphasis on peace and love to choose to join a military ship, much less end up on a vessel that already had a bloody, brutal battle --or two -- under its belt.  

She didn't even bother to hide the way her ice blue eyes sized him up, seemingly measuring different observations against each other with a quickness that implied it was nearly second nature. It was so fast that there was only less than a moment's hesitation in her greeting the young man. "Midshipman Asil, I presume? Please, come in," she said with a motion of her hand.

"I hope your previous captain gave you enough of a warning that you weren't rushing over here but welcome to the USS Artemis all the same," she said, her voice warm and her drawl gently pulling syllables on certain words.

== Tag! ==

#5 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22012.28 @ 07:16 (07:16 AM)

Asil stood tall as the door opened and stepped into the ready room. He passively scanned the room with his peripheral vision as he approached the sculpted metallic desk. He regarded his new Captain as she stood on the other side of the desk, her outstretched hand gesturing to approach. Asil stopped to the left of a chair secured to the floor.

"Thank you Captain, and yes. After the deflector array was repaired Captain Khumalo gave me a few hours to prepare my things and report here when we arrived."

As he reached across her desk to present his orders to, his attention was drawn to a panting sound beside her.

==tag==

#6 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22012.30 @ 19:15 (07:15 PM)

"Thank you Captain, and yes. After the deflector array was repaired Captain Khumalo gave me a few hours to prepare my things and report here when we arrived," the young man answered as he approached her desk.

"Good, I always hate when transfers like these are made more abrupt than necessary by poor planning," she answered as she reached out to take his orders from him, not missing the way his attention was caught by the other creature in the room. "Oh don't mind him. Colt is merely our Assistant Chief Morale Officer for the ship -- he does a decent job most of the time," she offered with a grin, even as her attention was drawn to the orders.

A quick scan of them, having written them herself for the most part, was all she needed before she tossed the PADD onto a pile of similar PADDs. "Please, have a seat," she said, motioning to one of the two chairs across from her desk before taking her own seat once more.

Instinctively one of her hands curled around her still steaming cup of coffee while the other rested on the surface of the table. Her blue eyes were focused on the young man in front of her and while her posture was relaxed and warm -- a practiced posture to cut the edge developed over years and years as a soldier --, her eyes still held flickers of a predator sizing up whether someone was friend or foe. It was a continuation of the once over she'd given him upon his entrance, almost as if she was weighing whether she'd made the correct choice by selecting him as the tactical officer drafted to the Artemis. After all, while every department had their stereotypes, whether true or false, she'd found that the tactical stereotype of big egos  and even bigger attitudes was more often correct than false. The balance was whether the talent was worth the hassles brought on by the two. 

"I've read your file and I'm impressed to see that there's more substance there than most with your rank. You worked hard to be accepted to the Academy -- harder than most -- and I'd like to know what drove that desire. People don't work that hard or build intricate plans that involve the University of Mars for whims. I'm also curious as to why you pivoted to tactical instead of remaining in the engineering field. I've done a similar pivot and it's not to be taken lightly, particularly if you chose wrong," she said the last with a self-deprecating smile that suggested she had chosen wrong on her pivot, though it didn't seem to have hurt her.

==Tag! ==

#7 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22101.01 @ 03:54 (03:54 AM)

Asil took a seat in the chair facing Tyra, her gaze felt like a deep tissue scan painless but cut through the outer layers and his core.  He felt exposed and a bit defensive at first, but kept a calm cool exterior as he formulated his response. 

“If I can speak plainly, my life has been a long trip around my backside to get to my elbow.  After the Romulan incursion, I wanted to go to the Academy in the tactical department.  But after first interview...” he sighed. “That wasn’t going to happen.   The University of Mars didn’t have a tactical program per say, the closest I could get was engineering.  So I started with the broader concepts and worked my way into antimatter weapons design and graviton field manipulation.  Right out of school I wanted to reapply for the Academy but something told me to wait.”

Asil was now feeling more confident, his shoulders relaxed, and he felt he was speaking to truthfully about his himself.  He felt Tyra was asking more than a typical interview question or rather she expected more than a platitude about duty. 

“Rarely are hopefuls granted a second interview so I wanted to show them a recruit they couldn’t refuse.  Once I had two more years of practical experience under my belt, I worked with my counselor and submitted my application to the academy.  I would have applied for a position in the enlisted corps if they didn't accept me.  I think my solid engineering background with a focus on defensive and offensive systems will make me a better tactical officer.”

Wow that sounded a little too confident, lets dial it back a bit shall we.

“In my observation a tactical officer needs to be intimately familiar with those systems which defend the crew.  Even more than the chief engineer.  They have the rest of the ship to worry about, especially in a dangerous situation.  If I can take that burden off their shoulders then I will.  ” 

=Tag=

#8 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.05 @ 02:10 (02:10 AM)

Tyra had smiled slightly at the midshipman's evident confidence, though it fell short of out right cockiness. Whether it was misplaced or not would be seen as time went on but it seemed that the young main had some grasp on reality, which was a refreshing change of pace from some of the idealistic midshipman that had been coming out of the Academy.

"I like the approach. If you decide that you would like to keep your overall engineering skills fresh, I'm sure we can arrange that. I've always found it useful to have officers trained in multiple disciplines for when things inevitable go awry," she answered with a nod.

"Now, the last thing we need to discuss.... I consider it my personal responsibility to lay the foundation for success for each person who serves aboard my ship. Whether they use that foundation as a springboard to developing as an officer or an opportunity to hang themselves with the rope given to them is entirely up to them but at best, I want each person to have the same opportunity to succeed while they're aboard the Artemis," she explained her tone more serious.

"With that said, I need to ask you a personal question and I understand if you don't want to answer it but I wouldn't be asking you if I didn't think it would directly affect your ability to perform on this vessel as a Star Fleet officer," she stated while her blue eyes seemed to bore into him until she continued a second later. 

"Do you hold true or partially true to the Argelian pacifistic beliefs? I understand that you have a potentially difficult relationship with your home world but I also would be a fool to believe that the foundations of our youth don't impact how we perceive the world and how we react, even if we attempt to shrug them off.  There's no shame in it if you do but I need to know that before the shooting starts and I'm down a helmsman. The Artemis, for being an exploratory vessel, hasn't and won't back down from a fight and I need to know the limitations of my officers when going forward so I'm not setting you up to fail."

== Tag ==

#9 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22101.09 @ 05:35 (05:35 AM)

Asil suddenly felt a flash of heat around his collar, and his heart began to race.  He felt sweat building up on his middle back as he processed the question. There was something about the way Tyra worded her question that caused him to feel self conscious.  Like a probe deep in his brain he felt like someone was reaching in. 

“Pardon me Captain, I cannot answer your question fully without first providing some context.  

When I was young I considered the position of my home planet to be highly evolved.  Like several Alpha Quadrant civilizations we nearly destroyed ourselves.  Unlike our celestial brothers and sisters, I learned Argelius never made it out of the idealistic teenage phase.  They maintained a polar opposition to violence at the expense of their own people and standing in the Federation.

Anyway, after the liberation of Argelius when we returned, the government already had someone on the Starbase waiting to debrief us.   What I found out was they had no intention to reintegrate us into Argelian society.” Asil recalled the meeting setting the scene for Tyra nearly nine years prior.

==Starbase 70 orbiting Argelius II==

“HEY I’m talking to you!” The man demanded Asil’s attention. 

“WHAT? What else do you want from me?” Asil snapped back.

The frown on the interviewers face widened and he looked at his PADD, “As an Argelian, how can you justify your actions during Romulan occupation of our system?  I remind you what you tell me today may very well determine your fate?  We are simply trying to determine why you fought the Romulans, why you did not just comply.  Were you coerced?, intimidated to fight?”

“No...” Asil stopped the interviewer before he could continue. 

“None of us were coerced or intimidated to do anything.  We did what we had to do to survive.  We fought because the Romulans didn’t give us a choice when they fired on us an left us for dead.  Because when we found the shipyard and got our systems online the Romulans came for us again and again.”

The bald man, did even look up as he took notes.  “So without any regard for your people back home, you willingly conducted espionage and terrorist operations, these are high crimes you must know that.”

Asil felt his blood boiling behind his eyes. “Have you ever spent the night in a dead ship?  Hiding with all power offline? Feeling your lungs ache as the air gets stale, seeing the ice building up on everything, and hoping when you turn everything on, it doesn’t start a fire?

Let me ask you, as an Argelian what did you do when the Romulans arrived?  Did you hide? Or did welcome them to our planet in the name of keeping the peace? Did you escort them to one of the casinos, or maybe into your home?  How many Starfleet personnel died over our planet to maintain peace on the surface, only to have bureaucrats like you provide comfort to an enemy?”

The bald man became enraged, his entire head turned a bright red color, an angry blood vessel appeared on his forehead.  He slammed his fist on the table.

“ENOUGH! Mr ASIL,  It is clear to me that you and your group have been contaminated by your experiences, and I hoped to see if any of you harbored remorse for...”.

Asil interrupted “REMORSE?!  For WHAT?  Surviving?”

The bald man yelled again leaning over the table over Asil. “ for turning your backs on the PILLARS OF ARGELIAN SOCIETY I intend to do everything in my power to see you and your kind do not pollute our society any further.”

The interviewer got up and looked at Asil with disgust before he walked out of the room.   Asil felt flushed his skin was so warm he felt a chill run down his spine.

==USS Artemis CO’s ready room==

Asil finished his account and took a deep breath. 

“I apologize Captain.  I spent a long time believing that if I said something different, my friends and I wouldn’t have been exiled, and worse, if we had complied with the Romulans, more of us would have returned. But like our ancient ancestors, I survived the “fallout” of my actions, grew from them, and became a better person because of it. This ship, is your ship but it’s also mine, for as long as I’m here, I am here to maintain her combat readiness and provide my tactical perspective when required.”

==Tag==

#10 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.13 @ 18:11 (06:11 PM)

It didn't take almost two decades of experience to see the level of discomfort her question had caused the young midshipman and there was a portion of her, the portion that loved and cared for each and every one of her people immensely and protectively, that was sorry for having to ask such an invasive question so bluntly. However, experience not only allowed her to pick up those nuanced reactions but also told her that it was necessary for the sake of the ship's ability. If he stated he did follow the Argelian viewpoint of pacifism, he wouldn't be the first to hold such views under her command but she'd be damned if she made the mistake to assume that a sense duty to ship, crewmates and the Federation would override such a deep rooted belief system, even when one's own survival was at stake. She knew the there were fools on all sides of the war spectrum, from those that wanted war from everything to those who were unwilling to fight for what should have mattered out of a desire for false peace, but she, at least, could respect those who craved war as being willing to do what was needed and not leaving their brother holding a shield with no sword.

Tyra was quiet as the young man worked to explain his position to her, providing her with crucial context to what clearly wasn't a cut and dry answer. For as stubborn and strong willed as she had been as a child, Tyra couldn't imagine facing such a situation as a student but she supposed everyone dealt with the hand they were given. Asil's had been heavy and cumbersome but she doubted that he'd stand where he was without it.

Likely, it would be some time before Asil heard the stories of the ships that came before the Artemis but once he did, he would likely find that there were kindred souls among those who had come from the Avenger to the Gettysburg to the Artemis. There were few that had seen the might of the Avenger and her unfortunate demise but those few had been forged in the fire of adversity, asked to choose between their morals and orders they knew to be wrong. They had walked through the fire, exiled from family and friends, and while they had been exonerated and praised for their willingness to walk a hard road when things weren't as they seemed, it had been a long road to rebuild and it had left marks that shaped a great deal of how they dealt with things, much like the aftermath of Asil's ordeal shaped his steps forward.

“I apologize Captain.  I spent a long time believing that if I said something different, my friends and I wouldn’t have been exiled, and worse, if we had complied with the Romulans, more of us would have returned. But like our ancient ancestors, I survived the “fallout” of my actions, grew from them, and became a better person because of it. This ship, is your ship but it’s also mine, for as long as I’m here, I am here to maintain her combat readiness and provide my tactical perspective when required.”

"I appreciate how candid you are with this and I understand that it's a complicated situation. Unfortunately, it likely won't be the last complicated situation you find yourself in but I think you'll find your way through all the same.  I feel confident that not only will you help maintain the Artemis' combat readiness but I think you will also find like-minded people on this ship. Most of us have learned that nothing worth fighting for comes easy and I, for one, think life is more than worth fighting for, our own and those that can't fight for themselves," she said solemnly before offering a small smile. 

"I look forward to seeing you on the bridge, Midshipman. Do you have any questions regarding the ship or assignment for me before I let you get settled in further?"

== Tag! ==

#11 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22101.15 @ 05:44 (05:44 AM)

Following his story Asil felt like he'd just finished a conversation with V back on Mars.  The chance to flesh out his beliefs on a topic which he normally held close to his chest was positively therapeutic.  When Tyra finished speaking and smiled, a wave of relief washed over him.  

"Thank you Captain, I look forward to contributing to the bridge and I may have some upgrades we were working on at Jupiter Station that I doubt have made it out here yet.  I have no other questions at this time."

Asil stood tall once again, awaiting dismissal.  

=Tag=

Edited by Mid Johnner Asil, Star Date 22101.15 @ 05:44 (05:44 AM).

#12 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.17 @ 03:23 (03:23 AM)

Tyra smiled and stood up, leaving her coffee and PADDs on the desk. Her movements were enough to catch Colt's attention, his head coming up to assess the situation before a subtle signal freed him back to his relaxed slumber. The life of the captain's dog must be a rather cozy and comfy affair, though Colt likely would claim it wasn't luxurious enough.

"I look forward to seeing what you can do once you get settled," she said, her tone warm and genuine before continuing. "I'll make sure that you're added to the duty schedule immediately so expect an update shortly. Until then, get settled in and acquainted with your new home."

"You're dismissed, midshipman."

== Over to you! ==

#13 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22101.18 @ 06:10 (06:10 AM)

Asil stood tall once again, he felt a rush of energy and confidence flow through him. He felt like he'd finally arrived after years of hard work al the while and exploring his trauma and pain with V.  He wanted to save any outward boisterous behavior for a more appropriate setting so upon being dismissed, he took a step back then turned sharp on his heels and walked out of the ready room. 

As the door closed be hind him he briefly forgot himself and his surroundings let out an excited howl. It echoed throughout the bridge and startled everyone.  "Excuse me," Asil said a little embarrassed by his outburst, he made his way quicker than usual to the turbolift.  "Deck Two" he said hoping that no one would follow.

#14 Mid Aarro Thyla

Mid Aarro Thyla

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Discord:GlowyGoat#9729
  • Engineering Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22102.03 @ 09:18 (09:18 AM)

==USS Scott, shuttle maintenance bay, 2 hours before rendezvous with USS Artemis==

“Try it now.” Thyla’s voice came from below a shuttle, while another crewmember sat in the pilot’s seat. After a moment’s delay, Thyla could hear the shuttle’s engines attempt to start… And fail once again. She’d been at work on this for over an hour already, and felt no closer to fixing it than she had when she started.

Admittedly, she was distracted, knowing that today was the day she’d finally be transferring to the USS Artemis, which would be her new home, her first real assignment. But for now, she was here, on the Scott, and she had to do her job. In the next few hours, the Scott would reach the rendezvous location, and then she could start to worry about her future on the Artemis. Muttering to herself, she made a few more adjustments under the shuttle, the sooner she got this done the sooner she could get herself ready to meet her new crew and, more importantly, her new Commanding Officer.

Okay… Try now, I think that got it.” She instructed the crewman in the pilot’s chair once again. This team, she heard the engines hum to life, and exhaled in relief. It hadn’t been a particularly hard fix, once she’d gotten herself to focus. Sliding out from under the shuttle and standing up, she gave a quick wave to the crewman in the pilot’s seat before turning and leaving the maintenance bay. It was time for her to get ready for her new assignment, finally time for her to join the crew of the Artemis.

==USS Scott, JO quarters, 35 minutes before rendezvous==

Thyla adjusted the collar of her new uniform, looking at her new appearance and taking a deep breath as she realized that not only was her life on the Artemis about to begin, her life on the Scott was coming to an end. She looked down at herself, noting her new rank insignia, grabbed the bag that contained all of her personal items, and walked out the door for, most likely, the last time, heading to the transporter room.

Before long, the Scott had reached the rendezvous point. The last 20 minutes felt both incredibly long and scarily fast to Thyla. She felt like she had too much time to think about her transfer, and not enough time to mentally prepare herself, all at the same time. Before she knew it, she was beaming over to the Artemis.

==USS Artemis, Transporter room 2==

Welcome to the USS Artemis, Midshipman. The Captain is in her ready room, whenever you’re ready.” The transporter operator said as Thyla materialized on the Vesta-class vessel. Even the transporter room showed her the difference between her new assignment and the Scott. While impressed, Thyla’s love of engineering simply made her eager to take things apart and fix them, though she wouldn’t call herself hopeful that something would break. Still… It was such a new, fancy ship, it would be so fun to work on it. She looked forward to it.

“Thank you. I can’t find words for how excited I am to be here.” Thyla replied with a smile, while she wanted nothing more than to poke around the ship right now, she had a Captain to meet. Leaving the transporter room, she headed for the turbolift to the bridge.

==USS Artemis, Bridge==

This was it, she was ready to meet her new Captain, and start her new assignment. Excitement and nervousness mixed up inside her, but she pushed both of them down trying to prepare herself to make a good impression with Captain Crawford. This was the first impression, and first impressions, as Thyla knew all too well, could define what someone thought of her for many years to come. With a deep breath, she reached out, and rang the chime to the ready room.

==Tag Captain Tyra Crawford==

#15 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22102.07 @ 03:26 (03:26 AM)

If Tyra was entirely honest, after a near constant stream of report ins for the last three hours, the faces were starting to blur together. It reminded her of the flood of report ins after taking command of the Artemis but she had, at least had the fortune to be able to spread those over a number of days. In this instance, she was making do by taking notes on each individual's bio sheet with the hopes that something would stick for future reference. Even Colt, her faithful red Border Collie, had lost interest in the visitors, his ear barely twitching as the door opened once more and yet another new face made their appearance. 

Fortunately, Cera had managed to sneak into the ready room with fresh coffee to refresh her for the final leg of the day and whether it was a placebo effect or not, Tyra did feel a little life return to her with each sip of the dark, aromatic liquid. A glance at her desk showed that there was a light at the end of the tunnel, having whittled her list of pending reportees down to a manageable four. It looked like she had an engineer, two shuttle bay operators, and a medical technician left. There was a part of her that was relieved there were no more scientists on the list -- there was really only so much interest she could feign.

The top bio sheet was for a Midshipman Thyla, an new engineer transferring from the Scott. A glance at the biographical information had her mentally correcting herself, noting that the Bajoran heritage likely meant that it was Midshipman Aarro, not Thyla. Of course, she had to concede that it might not be that simple as her own Bajoran confidant had always been quick to point out that there was a sect of Bajorans, typically raised aboard, that did not participate in the standard Bajoran naming mechanism. Kata was always quick to lament the fact that it made it all the more confusing for everyone and Tyra supposed that was rather true, given her current debate.

I'm going to need more coffee at this rates, she mused before forcing herself to delve deeper into the file.

She was skimming over the notes from the Academy when her door chimed. The redhead paused for a moment, setting the PADD in her hand down and picking her coffee back up. After taking a hefty mouthful of coffee and glancing over to make sure that Colt was still curled up on the couch under the window, she set the cup down and stood up. "Come in!"

== Tag! ==

#16 Mid Aarro Thyla

Mid Aarro Thyla

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22102.13 @ 07:36 (07:36 AM)

“Come in!” Thyla heard a voice reply from inside the Ready Room. Again taking a deep breath to prepare herself, the Bajoran obliged, and stepped through the opening doors into the presence of her new Captain.

The door closing behind her, Thyla let her eyes wander around the room for a moment, noting the dog in the corner with a small smile, pets on Star Fleet vessels always gave her some mild enjoyment to see, a sign that even through the many conflicts Star Fleet had faced, the comfort and happiness of the crews of their vessel had to be a priority. As she took another few steps towards Captain Crawford’s desk, Thyla realized she was still nervous, despite the rather calm atmosphere of the ready room. Nervous, but not intimidated, Thyla did her best to mask the emotion on her face before speaking up.

“Midshipman Aarro, reporting for duty, Captain. It’s truly an honor to be here.” Thyla realized her posture was overly stiff, and relaxed some, though she kept herself professional looking and didn’t allow her eyes to wander again. She truthfully was excited to be here, and didn’t want to look unprofessional and risk ruining her new assignment before it even began.

== Tag! ==

#17 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22102.14 @ 20:37 (08:37 PM)

There was only a few moments of delay in the her door sliding open to reveal her latest guest. It took only a fraction of a second for Tyra's blue eyes to properly assess the young Bajoran engineer. She was shorter in stature, though that didn't take away from her athletic build. Despite her size, Tyra had no doubt that she'd be able to sling equipment with the boys if needed. She didn't seem overly nervous, though certainly curious based on the way her brown eyes shifted around the room before fixing onto Tyra.

“Midshipman Aarro, reporting for duty, Captain. It’s truly an honor to be here," the young woman stated, inadvertently answering Tyra's earlier musings.

"Welcome aboard, Midshipman. As you likely are aware, the USS Artemis is one of the newer vessels in the active fleet and is currently the flagship for the Pathfinder project here in the Delta Quadrant. As it stands, you'll be in a very enviable position being able to work on some of the newest technology available to the fleet," Tyra greeted with a warm smile before motioning to one of the seats across the desk from her.

"Please, have a seat."

The redhead followed her own suggestion and settled into her seat, picking up her cup of coffee to move it closer to herself. "This is just an informal conversation so you can relax -- this is a large crew and I like to take the chances to get to know my people when I have them," Tyra explained, taking a sip of coffee before continuing. "Why don't you tell me a little about yourself? Why you wanted to join Star Fleet and how you found your home in engineering?"

== Tag! ==

#18 Mid Aarro Thyla

Mid Aarro Thyla

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22102.17 @ 09:51 (09:51 AM)

Despite her outward appearance, Thyla was nervous. How could she not be, meeting her new Captain for the first time? Still, Captain Crawford seemed very welcoming, which helped put Thyla at ease.

“As it stands, you’ll be in a very enviable position being able to work on some of the newest technology available to the fleet,” Thyla’s face widened into a smile at that, while she enjoyed working on any ship, truly any in the fleet would have sufficed, the opportunity to work on one of the newest ships in the fleet was, as Crawford said, a very enviable position.

At the Captain’s invitation, Thyla took the seat opposite her. Still keeping her body rather stiff, doing her best to show respect despite the welcoming atmosphere. She wanted to make a good impression, this was the kind of thing that might stick with her through her career aboard the Artemis. Informal conversation or not, she wanted the Captain to see the best side of her.

“Why don't you tell me a little about yourself? Why you wanted to join Star Fleet and how you found your home in engineering?" Crawford asked. Thyla’s face briefly looked contemplative as she took a moment to consider her response before replying.

“Star Fleet explores the galaxy… Well, that’s what we’re supposed to do, when there’s not a war, or something else demanding our attention. But, really, I felt like an outsider back home, from when I was kid all the way up until the day I left, and Star Fleet seemed like a good way to find a community, to find people who will judge me based on me and not…” Thyla took a deep breath before she continued. “Not anything my family may have been involved with during a difficult period.” Letting herself relax more, a small smile crept over her face again.

“As for engineering? I’ve always had some kind of interest in how things worked, from when I was a kid. It wasn’t until the first time I took a trip on a warp-capable ship that I realized how much I was interested though. All I’ve ever wanted to do since that day is to be an engineer. I know it’s in my official file, or I wouldn’t mention it, but I devoted myself to getting into the academy so fully that I spent the next few years of my life working on a paper to prove that I was smart enough, and good enough, to get into the Academy first chance I got.” Her smile growing wider, Thyla concluded. “So I truly mean it when I tell you that I’m absolutely thrilled to be here, Captain.”

== Tag ==

#19 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22102.26 @ 03:07 (03:07 AM)

== Apologies for the delay! ==

Tyra settled back into her chair as the young engineer attempted to answer her question, taking in more than just the young woman's words as she proceeded. She didn't miss the way Aarro managed to dance around what was likely a sensitive topic regarding her family's history and it took a great deal to swallow down her own curiosity at what exactly consisted of a "difficult period". Aarro wouldn't be an anomaly in having overcome adversity prior to joining Starfleet but that didn't lessen her curiosity.

“As for engineering? I’ve always had some kind of interest in how things worked, from when I was a kid. It wasn’t until the first time I took a trip on a warp-capable ship that I realized how much I was interested though. All I’ve ever wanted to do since that day is to be an engineer. I know it’s in my official file, or I wouldn’t mention it, but I devoted myself to getting into the academy so fully that I spent the next few years of my life working on a paper to prove that I was smart enough, and good enough, to get into the Academy first chance I got.” Her smile growing wider, Thyla concluded. “So I truly mean it when I tell you that I’m absolutely thrilled to be here, Captain.”

The redhead returned her smile, watching the young woman for a moment. It was hard to remember being so young and so excited about what laid ahead; for Tyra, that feeling and awe was so short lived as she had been throw headfirst into the Romulan War but she hoped that young officers like Aarro were able to hang on to that wonder just a little bit longer.

"Do you mind me asking what the topic of your paper was? If it helped you make it into uniform, I have to assume it was pretty impressive and maybe, just maybe, there's something applicable to be harvested for our current position."

== Tag! ==

#20 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.05 @ 23:08 (11:08 PM)

"Is it... fixable?" Tyra asked, punctuating the question with a mouthful of coffee. She didn't need to look up to know a pair of pale blue eyes were drilling into the dude of her head like a laser,  which was why she took extra long swallowing before looking towards the other side of the couch.

Jasmine Tyrol was giving her a look that made her look more like her mother than likely either woman would be comfortable with. "Between the two of us, we've witnessed more than our fair share. How many actually made a full recovery to the point of returning to full duty?"

The redhead grimaced, tilting her head before conceding the point. "Three? And honestly, I'm pretty sure one faked the whole damn thing to avoid being on the front edge of the offensive."

"Specialist Tegg has made some improvements and LaHaye is working with him but...he'll need to be transferred to an appropriate treatment facility as soon as is feasible."

It was Tyra's turn to make a face, a grimace of sorts as if to remind the doctor that they weren't exactly near any "appropriate" treatment facilities or any facilities at all. Unless Tegg wanted to test out what counted for psychology among the Talaxians and Tyra suspected he was that broken yet. 

"Is it indicative of a larger issue?"

The question was met with a half-snort, which was extremely undignified for a southerner and would have made either of their mothers very ashamed. "Are you asking me if your crew is bat**** crazy?" Jasmine asked, eyebrow arched as she looked over her own coffee at Tyra. "Probably. I mean they all did agree to utilize pretty damn new technology to explore a part of space that ate one of our ships not that long ago... not to mention the chance of getting stranded too isn't exactly zero."

"You are not helpful," the redhead stated dryly, resisting the urge to roll her eyes. In the process of struggling against her own nature, she noticed that the stars seemed to have begun slowing considerably and paused to consider them for a moment. They were stars from a place far from home and maybe, they were a little crazy to be wandering through them as if this was nothing more than a stroll through a new trail.

The sigh escaped her without much conscious effort and she knew it didn't go unnoticed as she, once again, felt Jasmine's eyes boring into her. "Looks like I'm on the clock again. When we get back, can we start Whiskey Wednesdays back up? I've somehow been so busy that my liver might be losing its resilience."

Jasmine stood up and grinned. "As long as we can add Moonshine Mondays. I hear you know where to find some cheap home brew," the doctor chuckled and winked as she set her cup on the coffee table. 

Worst kept secret...

"Deal," Tyra answered with a chuckle of her own as she stood up and set her cup beside Jas'. "Might need to start early depending on how this goes," she motioned towards the door, which got a laugh from Jas as she stepped down from the upper level and moved towards the door. 

"You and me both," Jas said over her shoulder as the door opened with Tyra on her heels.

>> Bridge >>