Jump to content


Photo

AT/D99 - Other Locations


  • Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Adm Paul Braggins

Adm Paul Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 934 posts

Posted Star Date 21901.17 @ 00:22 (12:22 AM)

==


  • 0

#2 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22005.12 @ 17:35 (05:35 PM)

==Ventral Sensor Dome, Deck 12==

 

==Ensign Orivessa sh'Thanis, Engineer==

 

Ori was glad she'd taken a second to stop at a replicator on her way down to deck 12. It may not have been entirely professional, but after tossing up what little she'd had in her stomach, she had needed something to help her push on through. Granted, it was a bottle of water and a granola bar, but it was something, at least. It helped get the taste out of her mouth and settle her stomach a touch, and at this point that was about all she could ask for.

 

She got to the maintenance corridor after the rest of the crew arrived as a result, though. Four crewmen were standing there, having evidently just arrived, and were breaking out their engineering kits. She hadn't worked with any of them before, unfortunately, but they seemed to recognize her. A human man and woman stood on her right, while a Vulcan man and a Bajoran woman stood on her left. She smiled at them, put the last of the granola bar in a pocket, and set the water bottle on a console. "Alright, people," she said, "what can you tell me?"

 

The Bajoran was the first to speak up. "Not much yet, ma'am," she said. She waved, indicating the room which was in good shape. A few panels had been dislodged, a bit of debris from a couple of overloaded EPS taps, but nothing major. "There doesn't seem to be any obvious damage to the room, but we haven't gotten in to the full diagnostics yet." She looked back and forth at the other crewmen before turning back to Ori. "We just got here ourselves."

 

She nodded, not really having expected anything else. "Sounds about right." She pointed at the two humans. "Get started on those diagnostics; let me know exactly what the problem is as soon as you can find out." They turned to get started, and she moved on to the Vulcan man. "Get started on those EPS taps, tear out the busted ones and get some replacements down from supply." He said something vaguely affirmative and turned to get started.

 

Finally, she turned to the Bajoran woman. "Alright, then," she said. "Let's go ahead and get some of these panels off and be ready to work on the sensor palettes themselves. I've got a feeling this isn't going to be a simple fix." The woman nodded, and they walked together to the other side of the room.

 

==GM Input: Sensor diagnostics, please! What needs fixin'?==


  • 0

#3 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22005.13 @ 16:01 (04:01 PM)

>>Engineering>>

 

==Deck 3 Maintenance Corridor, near Shield Emitter 1==

 

Benjamin set down his engineering kit and sighed. This wasn't going to be the easiest task, but it was what it was. The shield emitters were numbered clockwise around the ship, which meant that emitter 1 was directly below the bridge. I don't think Tyra would like it if I left this thing offline for long.

 

He turned to his crewmen. "Saunders, Grev," he said as he pointed to the human and Tellarite at the back of the line, "get the hatches off so we can get to everything." They nodded and bent to the task. "Mandlin," he turned to the last member of his group, "go ahead and get me a list of what we have in stores. Hopefully this is just a blown relay or two, but it'll be good information to have as we move on to the next problem emitters."

 

Mandlin nodded, the cheek flaps on the Zakdorn's face wobbling a bit as he turned and hit his commbadge. Benjamin felt a little bad about having a subordinate do it, especially when he really wanted to check on Cera, but he knew that now wasn't the time to do so. She's busy, I'm busy, he reasoned, and besides... He let out an audible sigh as he turned to a console. He had been meaning to ask her out the entire time that they were on their way here to the Delta Quadrant, and somehow had never found the time. Nearly three weeks, and you never found the time. He reached for his left ring finger, a leftover habit from when he'd had his ring which was no longer there.

 

Part of him wondered why he hadn't, but he left it alone. He had moved the engineering staff to a strange shift schedule, trying to maximize the time they had off shift during the trip, so their times hadn't exactly overlapped like they normally would. It wasn't a good excuse, but at least it made sense. Even if you didn't have time for the date, you still should have asked, he scolded himself. But there wasn't time for that now. There was work to do.

 

Activating the console, he ran a diagnostic of the three shield emitters in question, checking for damage. He hoped it was simply EPS relays, which would be simple to fix. They had the resources to replace the three emitters, but it was more time consuming, and he didn't know the situation outside the ship. With no alarms blaring, he could assume that things were mostly okay, but how long that would last? Only the captain would know that one.

 

==GM Input: What am I looking at on the shields? This gonna be easy, or this gonna be hard? Also, I sent Dawson to work on the phaser emitters; if I can get a status update from them, letting me know similar questions (what's actually broken, do we need to replace the whole thing or just components, etc), that'd be wonderful.==


  • 0

#4 GM-Creative Director

GM-Creative Director

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 351 posts
  • Sitewide Game Moderator
  • Omnipresent

Posted Star Date 22005.15 @ 21:47 (09:47 PM)

The damage was mostly EPS conduits that had ruptured, though there was some scoring on the emitter lens itself. The lens would still project shields, but at 95% efficiency.

 

The report from Dawson was largely similar; damage to the EPS relays had triggered emergency breakers. The damage was turning out to be fairly minor, more annoying than anything else.


  • 0

#5 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22005.15 @ 22:14 (10:14 PM)

[Bridge to Elias, how are those shields looking? It'd be useful to have them online about now...]


  • 0

#6 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22005.16 @ 13:45 (01:45 PM)

Hey, some good news, he thought as the system report came in. EPS line damage had been expected, and the fact that that was basically the extent of it was a blessing. A bit of minor lens damage, but that can be worked on. He turned to the crew and told them, "Get panels 17 and 18 open, and pull the EPS lines; looks like that's really it. Replace that, and we'll hit the junction to get it back on."

 

As they got to work, everything started happening at once. First, Dawson called with the report from the phaser strips. The damage there was even lighter, simply a few blown breakers that needed to be quickly replaced and they would be working again. He gave the (admittedly unnecessary) order to do so and signed off with him when Tate called in.

 

[Chief,] she said. [The crystals have a couple jumps left in them, but the degradation seems to be increasing. The estimated time of arrival to the Jupiter is two days, maximum warp. Myself and .. PO Walsh, are working collaboratively to assess more information.]

 

Who? he thought, and wondered if she meant Wosz. Probably. Not only was his name difficult to pronounce, but he could see Ensign Mysander sending the outgoing, jovial man to talk to, as Whitby called her, the Ice Queen of Engineering. It was just the kind of joke the man liked. Hopefully it's going well, he thought. "Alright, sounds like all we can do. If you've done all you feel that you can there," he added, "feel free to jump on another project. The torpedo launcher is still down; likely just EPS ruptures, but still needs to be done."

 

He had just closed down that comm line when his commbadge beeped again. It took all his effort to not audibly when he heard the beep, which was fortunate considering who was on the other end. [Bridge to Elias,] Jenny's voice called, [how are those shields looking? It'd be useful to have them online about now...]

 

What the hell are you doing to my ship? he thought wildly before taking a breath and actually replying. "Shields should be back online shortly; our EPS grid ruptured in a few places it shouldn't have is all. Most of the shield grid should be online, just missing emitters 1, 4 and 15. I've got a crew up here at 1 and we'll hit 4 in a second; sending a crew to 15 now. How 'now' is 'now'?" He waved at his team, and they started to hurry on the work. Evidently time was more of the essence than he thought. He tapped a control on his console and called down to Tate again. "Change of plans. Get to shield emitter 15 and get it online now. Should just be EPS ruptures."


  • 0

#7 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22005.16 @ 17:10 (05:10 PM)

This time it was a vocal communication from Ed that came through Ben's comm badge.

[Commander Gregg to Lieutenant Elias, I was looking to send Midshipman Lyan down to help with the work on the Chroniton Integrator, as it would be useful for at least someone in my department to have a practical knowledge of how it works before we get around to considering the return trip.

Also in the short term she has a minor in Sensor Design and Construction that could help with watching our backs in the current predicament. Just need to know if you’ve got someone she can work alongside. If not I can put her on something else. Thanks.]
  • 0

#8 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22005.18 @ 18:53 (06:53 PM)

==Deck 3 Maintenance Corridor, near Shield Emitter 1==

 

It never rains, Benjamin thought. He watched the three crewmen start pulling the burned-out EPS line and relays, waiting for Braggins to reply, and another voice cut in on the line. [Commander Gregg to Lieutenant Elias, I was looking to send Midshipman Lyan down to help with the work on the Chroniton Integrator, as it would be useful for at least someone in my department to have a practical knowledge of how it works before we get around to considering the return trip.]

As he wondered just what made him think she'd be helpful, Gregg answered the unspoken question. [Also in the short term she has a minor in Sensor Design and Construction that could help with watching our backs in the current predicament. Just need to know if you’ve got someone she can work alongside. If not I can put her on something else. Thanks.]

 

He let out a long sigh, rubbing at his eye again as it started twitching. I don't have time for this, he thought, and finally spoke up. "Commander, I don't have anyone for the moment. There are other systems that need to get working before we even think about the slipstream, especially if our first officer wants to have the ship head into danger again without giving me the proper time to fix the ship. You want to get her involved and get some practical experience? We can make arrangements. But not right now."

 

As he finished, there was a transporter whine, and the requested parts appeared off to Benjamin's left, beamed up from quartermaster. He went over and started picking them up, taking them over to the shield emitter. Jenny can answer me just as well over there as she can while I'm pitching in, he thought, and got back to work.


Edited by Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias, Star Date 22005.18 @ 18:54 (06:54 PM).

  • 0

#9 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22005.22 @ 21:35 (09:35 PM)

==Ventral Sensor Dome, Deck 12==

 

==Ensign Orivessa Sh'Thanis, Engineer==

 

Ori sighed as the majority of the crew leaned back and relaxed while the Vulcan, Sovak, finished getting things in place. Can't believe all of this mess was just caused by the EPS relays, she thought, and wondered if there were some more fundamental problem at work. After all, for a practically new ship having this many EPS relays break all at once wasn't a normal occurrence. Tachyons shouldn't have caused it, either, though she did allow that if the deflector was drawing more power than normal, maybe that was part of the issue.

 

"Good work, guys," she said, and smiled at Jama, the Bajoran woman next to her. "Hopefully this'll help us find the rest of the fleet sooner rather than later."

 

"If we're lucky," Paul said as he wiped his forehead.

 

"Now now," she told him. "We've got some of the most advanced systems in the fleet; if anyone's gonna be able to find them, we will."

 

Of course, she was just being a good officer in saying that. If anything, her feelings were more in line with the man's statement than she wanted to admit. She'd reviewed the sensor data briefly; they had no way of knowing just how long the other ships stayed at speed after dropping out, or even what state they were in afterwards. They could be light years distant. They could be damaged, disabled. Hell, they could be a stream of particles for all that she knew. The odds of finding them were definitely against the Artemis and the rest of the fleet at this point. But if we don't... she wondered if they'd ever reach home if they were really alone out here.

 

But if she'd learned anything from L'Haan, is was that you don't let your doubt show to the enlisted, or even to junior officers. Keep yourself disciplined, and they will remain motivated, she used to say. While obviously the Andorian didn't follow the same distance and emotional strictures that their... former... Vulcan chief did... had... she still tried to keep a positive attitude in the face of all but the grimmest situations.

 

Fortunately, Sovak finished before anything else could be said. "All relays are in place, Ensign," he told her, and replaced the cover panel as a punctuation on his report. "We are ready to proceed."

 

Ori smiled at the impassive man. "Excellent. Rachel, you want to run the diagnostics for me?" The human woman nodded and turned to her console. It would take a couple of minutes, but that didn't mean they all had to stand around and wait. "Good work everyone. Jama, Paul: head on back to engineering for a new assignment. We'll finish up here." The two crewmen nodded, and turned to the door. "Actually," she revised, and the two turned back for a moment, "take a break for a couple of minutes, then head up." They grinned and nodded, before heading on out the door. Never hurts to keep the enlisted happy, she thought, and leaned back in her own chair. "You can have a seat too, crewman," she told the Vulcan, who merely nodded and perched on another empty chair like it was going to explode. Vulcans...

 

==GM: I'm assuming the sensors are okay, but giving the chance for other issues if you want them to crop up.==


  • 0

#10 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22005.24 @ 03:18 (03:18 AM)

[Crawford to Elias. Are you at a point in repairs where you can step away for a bit? We've encountered civilians that need assistance with repairs and I need your assistance, along with whoever you deem necessary, assessing the damage and what resources we need to dedicate to it. I can brief y'all more thoroughly prior to departure but we're forwarding you the preliminary damage report from the station.]


  • 0

#11 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22005.24 @ 16:13 (04:13 PM)

==Deck 3, near Shield Emitter 1==

 

They were just closing up the panel again when Benjamin's commbadge chirped again. This time, the voice on the other end was Tyra. Maybe I should steer clear of Jenny for a bit, he thought, wondering if maybe he'd pissed her off with his question earlier.

 

This question was a little more enlightening. Civilians? he wondered. From the way the question was phrased, it didn't sound like a first contact situation, but out this far in the Delta Quadrant, it was certainly possible. He stepped over to a console and pulled up the preliminary scans that she mentioned. Civilian freighters, an asteroid base, and shield buoys... None of it looked too difficult from the few scans they'd received, but an in-person assessment was always necessary.

 

He tapped his commbadge back and responded. "We're doing pretty good so far, Captain. I can step away for a few minutes, at least. Give me about ten minutes, and I'll have a team together. Just let me know which transporter room to be at."

 

He turned and looked at his team here at the emitter. "Alright, guys, take a minute and then head on to Emitter 3 and get it taken care of. Falke, you're in charge." The four of them nodded, and headed out through the service entrance, likely on the way to the head or a replicator. As they left, he hit his commbadge again, wanting to get status reports before he made any decisions.

 

First up was Dawson on the phasers. The damage was simple EPS lines, but the location of the strips made working on them difficult. He was still getting a work bee prepped at the moment, but estimated that they would be ready in an hour or so. Benjamin wasn't surprised at that, but it was what it was. He told him to keep going and closed the channel.

 

Then he called Ori. [We just finished up down here, chief,] she told him. [Problem was really just overloaded EPS lines. We've got them fixed now, so we should be back up to optimal sensor capacity.]

 

"Yeah," he replied, "that seems to be the problem ship-wide, other than the slipstream. We've got a new problem, though. Seems we've run across some people that need our help, and the captain has decided to give it. I'll be going with her to their base to do some assessments."

 

[Want me to come with?] she offered. [Two sets of eyes are better than one, after all.]

 

"Maybe," he said. "Wrap up what you're doing quick; I'll let you know your assignment here in a minute." He closed the channel and took a breath before hitting it again. "Elias to Tate; how's it coming down there?"


  • 0

#12 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22005.25 @ 16:47 (04:47 PM)

[Transporter Room 1.]


  • 0

#13 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22005.26 @ 20:20 (08:20 PM)

==Skipping ahead just a bit to keep us moving==

 

Benjamin sighed as he listened to Tate's report. A cracked emitter lens was definitely a problem, and if they needed to be in combat soon he didn't want to have to tell the captain to favor their port side. But he still needed to get a team over to the Talaxians, and while it was still under control he wanted to take advantage of the time.

 

"Alright. Have Wosz keep working on that lens; as for you, get your engineering kit together along with anything else you need, then meet up in Transporter Room 1. We've got some potential allies we need to help out." He closed the channel and got a move on himself. 

 

He had just made it to the corridor when he hit his commbadge again. "Elias to sh'Thanis. Go ahead and get back down to engineering. You're in charge until Tate and I get back. Wosz should be working on getting a new emitter crystal ready for shield emitter 15. Other than that, just keep working on the damage list. I don't want any surprises when I get back."

 

[Of course not, Ben,] she said with a laugh, but quickly got back to business. [You need a full team to go with you?]

 

"Not just yet," he replied. "I'll have a couple crewmen with us, but to start with I want to do an assessment and see what we need. We may get some help from the rest of the fleet, I'm not sure, but have a team or two on standby."

 

[You got it, chief.] He could hear the smile come back to her voice as he got in the turbolift. [You get to have all the fun, don't you?]

 

He couldn't stop his own laugh from joining hers. "You seem to not be remembering last time I went on an away mission..."

 

>>Quarters>>


Edited by Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias, Star Date 22005.26 @ 20:20 (08:20 PM).

  • 0

#14 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22006.30 @ 20:19 (08:19 PM)

==Ensign Orivessa sh'Thanis, Engineer==

 

Ori got down to the torpedo launcher ahead of whoever was being sent, somehow. Everyone's busy, she thought, may have had to wait for someone to finish up something before they could come all the way to the front of the deck.

 

She sighed, and pulled out her tricorder while she went to a wall console. She started the console running relevant diagnostics, while she walked up and down the length of the assembly with the tricorder. Sometimes, things could go wrong that would cause false reports on the diagnostics, and she wanted to hedge against that.

 

As she paced the length of the launcher, she let her mind wander a tad. She wondered what was going on down on the asteroid, though she knew that if Ben needed more help than what he'd taken already, he'd have called. Still, getting to meet a new - or, if what she'd heard was true, new to us - species was always exciting, and being so far from home already... She really wished she could be down there.

 

But somebody has to get the ship fixed back up, she knew, and unfortunately that task had fallen to her for the moment. She was glad most of the problems so far had been relatively easy, but there was always the chance it was more complicated than the broken EPS grid they'd been dealing with so far. And I still haven't had a chance to get someone up to deck 1, she thought.

 

Her scans complete, though, she stepped back to the console and brought up both the diagnostics and her scans, to see what they needed to do.

 

==GM Input: how broken is the torpedo launcher?==


  • 0

#15 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted Star Date 22006.30 @ 22:45 (10:45 PM)

== PO1 Ayanga 142, Engineer == 

 

It's handy I don't mind long walks, or this assignment would be really awkward.

 

Having been called back to Main Engineering, Ayanga 142 had then been dispatched to help Ori in the torpedo tubes. The Hermat was normally the quietly competent type - s/he had a wicked tongue on hir when s/he needed it, but for the most part the tawny-skinned Petty Officer kept their almond brown eyes on the job. Hir specialty was weaponry, and s/he was well used to squeezing hish small frame through the tight crawlspaces. The topknot s/he wore hish jet black hair in had the handy secondary purpose of being able to store tools when it wasn't practical to drag a toolkit around too, even if it did mean the other Engineers kept referring to hir as a Mongol warrior. That was something s/he had had to research and eventually decided to take as a compliment. 

 

Eventually catching up with Ori, Ayanga gently touched the Andorian on the shoulder. 

 

"Ensign," s/he said in greeting. "What have these heathens done to our torpedo tubes? Was Commander Braggins forcibly ejecting Midshipmen again?"


Edited by Mid Beka Sydesh, Star Date 22006.30 @ 22:49 (10:49 PM).

  • 0

#16 LCdr Mathew Briggs

LCdr Mathew Briggs

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 654 posts
  • Discord:9772
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22008.05 @ 15:28 (03:28 PM)

== Gym, sometime during our journey (out of timeline) == 

 

What do I want? What do I want to do?

 

Mathew stepped inside the gym, paused as he looked around the room. There weren’t many using it at this time, of which he was thankful. He liked working out, but didn’t like being bothered. He stood silently for a moment though as the thoughts in his head continued to wrap around his brain like a blanket wrapped around a child. He hoped that working out would silence his inner critic.

 

He didn’t carry anything, knowing he’d clean up in his quarters afterwards. There was no sense in being bothered with extra gear. He wore a loose-fitting black t-shirt and canvas colored shorts. He picked a place in the corner to loosen up, stretching his muscles for a good workout, then tackled one of the treadmills for a warm up run. As the treadmill began, he turned the cap he was wearing backwards, adjusted his ear piece, and pumped music into his brain.

 

'Cause sometimes you just feel tired, you feel weak
And when you feel weak you feel like you want to just give up
But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength
And just pull that **** out of you and get that motivation to not give up
And not be a quitter, no matter how bad you want to just fall flat on your face and collapse

 

He pushed himself, keeping a good run pace up.  While he ran, visions of running through the forest when working out with Buck.  He was at peace, his thoughts directing him past obstacles that existed in the forest. His head bobbed, not from the run, but to the music taking the place of the work needing done.  Before he knew it, his playlist was nearly finished, meaning he’d ran for nearly forty-five minutes at a heavy pace. He was drenched with sweat.

 

****. Water. Why do I always forget the water?

 

He slowed the treadmill down, opting to cool down as opposed to just hoping off. Once that was finished, he went to the replicator for water. After getting a refreshing drink, he wiped his forehead with the palm of his hand and headed towards the weights. 

 

== Sorry for the random post. Just trying to get some stuff in for Mathew... and this is where my brain went. Maybe more later. Maybe not. Feel free to jump in, if you want. == 


  • 0

#17 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted Star Date 22008.17 @ 23:40 (11:40 PM)

== I'll bite! Any excuse.  :D Gym, timeline as above ==

 

Beka drew in a deep breath and pushed the grav-bar up. She exhaled and let the bar drop before powering through another full set of 10 reps on the bench press. The bar was set to an equivalent of 225lbs, which was about as much as she could handle comfortably. Her personal best was just over 250lbs and that had burned for a couple of days.

 

Her fitness regime was brutal but she embraced it. It wasn't that long ago that Beka had been a scrawny runt, barely 90lbs soaking wet as she had to scrap and fight for every meal. She had watched prizefighters on video feeds and dreamed of being like them. Since her rescue and journey through the Academy she had seized her chance. Now, muscle wrapped her arms and her long legs were toned, and she had the kind of abs that only came with true dedication. It made her feel so much better about herself to be physically strong, even if she was still learning how to cope with it.

 

You spend, what, 20 years of your life being pushed around, there’s not really a manual out there for when you can not only stand your ground but push back. Well, I guess there is one for me. It’s written on Cdr Braggins’ fists. Proof positive that there’s always someone higher up the food chain…

 

The redhead hoisted the bar one last time into its rest and then sat up. She drained her bottle and wiped down the bench then stood, stretching off to warm down from the set. Her favoured gym clothes were still a cropped top and tight shorts in some loud orange hue – she knew what she had and was just fine with showing it off sometimes.

 

Beka headed off towards the replicator to get a refill. She wasn’t entirely watching where she was going, her mind off on a random tangent about tattoos, when she managed to walk headlong into a man coming the other way.

 

There was a tangle of limbs and next thing she knew, she was on the floor, his weight on top of her.

 

“You going to make this worth my while or what?” Beka asked pointedly from the deck.

 

== Tag Briggs! After all the jokes about making an impact, I thought I might do so literally this time…  ;) ==

 


  • 0

#18 LCdr Mathew Briggs

LCdr Mathew Briggs

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 654 posts
  • Discord:9772
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22012.23 @ 08:44 (08:44 AM)

Mathew wiped off the water from his chin with the back of his wrist as he walked, not thinking about much except the weights he was headed.  He became distracted soon after leaving the replicator, finding himself introduced to another crew member. He started to push himself off the person underneath him. His left hand braced himself on the chest of the person underneath.  

 

Oh ****!

 

He felt his face blush as he bumbled his way off the female. The dismount wasn’t as smooth as he would like, but finally managed to clumsily reach a point of offering a hand down to the woman on the floor.  Normally, he’d be confident, but the sudden clash caught him off guard.

 

“I’m so sorry,” Mathew said as he yanked the ear buds out of his ears with his other hand. “I wasn’t paying attention at all…except to the music.” 

 

He ignored where his hand had been a mere few seconds ago. As he could see her face clearly now, being further apart than a millimeter, he realized he’d seen her before… but couldn’t exactly place the department.  Then it hit him that he’d just plowed into a doctor.  He recognized her from one of his weekly counseling sessions.

 

“You come here often?” 

 

As soon as Mathew asked his question, he wanted to hide.  Smooth Matty…real smooth.   

 

== if you still want to continue this, great… if not, we can post getting a drink after mission in ten forward or something ==

 


  • 0

#19 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted Star Date 22012.27 @ 20:03 (08:03 PM)

Beka let out a surprised yelp as the man put his full weight on her chest, his hand leaving a bright red imprint on the parts of her pale skin that weren’t covered by the cropped top. He seemed to be just as shocked as she was, scrambling to his feet in an undignified rush and holding down a hand to help her up.

“I’m so sorry,” he said as he yanked the ear buds out of his ears with his other hand. “I wasn’t paying attention at all… except to the music.”

Still flat on her back, Sydesh looked at him with eyebrows raised.

“You come here often?” he said. He at least had the decency to look embarrassed at his own question but the redhead wasn’t going to let him off that easily.

“The gym, or the floor?” Beka replied cuttingly.

She didn’t take the proffered hand, pulling her legs back and springing easily to her feet instead, standing inches away from the man. Rattlesnake-fast, the doctor grabbed him by the wrists and forced both his hands palms-first to her breasts.

“If you’re that desperate to cop a feel, here you go,” Beka said, looking him dead in the eye as she held on. “Take your time.”

At that point she let go, but she held the eye contact. She didn’t entirely know if she was annoyed or just surprised. The collision was just as much her fault as his but she hadn’t been expecting the hand in the cleavage. It stung like anything even through the extra-strong sports bra she had to wear.

“So now we’ve done the formalities,” the redhead added, her face breaking into a mischievous grin. “I’m Doctor Sydesh. Beka if you prefer. Do I get your name or do you want more first?”

== You thought you’d get off lightly? That was never going to happen… ==

Edited by Mid Beka Sydesh, Star Date 22012.27 @ 20:31 (08:31 PM).

  • 0

#20 LCdr Mathew Briggs

LCdr Mathew Briggs

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 654 posts
  • Discord:9772
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22012.27 @ 22:41 (10:41 PM)

“The gym, or the floor,” the woman replied.

 

Ouch! This one has a bite…

 

Before Mathew knew what was happening, the woman was up in a flash, not only springing to her feet, but grabbed his wrists and put his hands on her breasts.

 

“Uh….uh… uh…” is all Mathew could stammer out while the woman explained her reasoning. 

 

He was shocked by not only her reaction, but also her cat-like agility to get up.  He simply stood there, returning her stare, his hands resting on her breasts.

 

Finally, what seemed like forever for Mathew, but in reality, only a couple of seconds, he managed to gather his wits. One hand dropped, while the other reached up to his chin.  “Yes, that’ll do,” he replied to her, maintaining her gaze.  His other hand rested on his waist, though ready to block a possible attack below his waist.

 

“I’m Doctor Sydesh. Beka if you prefer. Do I get your name or do you want more first?”

 

****. It is a doctor. That’s where I’ve seen her.

 

“Hello doc… Beka,” Mathew responded, flashing a grin.  “I’m Mathew Briggs…  Mathew… or ***.”   

 

Noticing his hat on the floor, he leaned over and picked it up.  Brushing his hand over his head before placing his hat back on his head, he continued.  “You must work out a lot?  You sprung up with the agility of a cat and as quick as a snake ready to attack.”

 

== tag == 


  • 0

#21 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted Star Date 22012.28 @ 01:08 (01:08 AM)

“Hello doc… Beka,” Mathew responded, flashing a grin.  “I’m Mathew Briggs…  Mathew… or ***.”

 

When he revealed who he was, that drew a barely audible profanity from Beka.

 

“Of course you are…” she murmured as he picked his hat up.

 

Great. My fine record with the department heads on this ship continues! Why would it not? I mean, when I could meet them peacefully in 10 Forward and say hello over a coffee, why not wipe each other out in the gym and take turns feeling me up?

 

“You must work out a lot?  You sprung up with the agility of a cat and as quick as a snake ready to attack.”

 

“Er, thanks, I think, Commander ***,” Sydesh answered with a grin, craning her neck to get a look at the body part Briggs identified with. “I’m normally into the female form, but yours isn’t bad. Not sure you should name yourself after it though, it’s not that good,” she teased.

 

If this gets back to Tyrol or Jenny I’m in so much trouble already. Might as well enjoy it whilst I can she thought to herself.

 

“And yeah. I work out and train. Turns out you never know when you might need to defend yourself against handsy senior officers. Although you were quick to apologise so I’ll spare you the kick to the head I’d normally mete out.” Beka replied with her trademark grin, bending to retrieve her towel and drinks bottle.

 

All it took was one look at the redhead to know she trained. The muscle tone was that obvious, and she freely admitted that half the reason she wore so many cropped tops was to show off the abs she’d worked so hard on.

 

She straightened, waiting expectantly like a pitcher who’d floated one up to see what the batter had. Beka’s sharp wit usually landed her in trouble but Mathew seemed like a worthy adversary. If he was happy to go back at her, that was pretty much her only way out of this without ending up with yet another black mark against her name.

 


  • 0

#22 LCdr Mathew Briggs

LCdr Mathew Briggs

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 654 posts
  • Discord:9772
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22101.09 @ 17:37 (05:37 PM)

Mathew moved slightly, allowing Beka a better glance as she mentioned checking him out.  He rolled his eyes as she continued to talk, mentioning being more into women.  He brushed his forehead with the back of his hand, adding a dramatic "Pheww. They’re safe," when Beka said she would spare a kick.

 

Mathew couldn’t help but check her out as she bent over, picking up her towel and water bottle.

 

Definitely toned… quick wit.

 

“You seem to check out okay,” sounding like a doctor giving a physical as he held his hands in front of him like he was holding a couple of oranges. He quickly threw in a wink and flashed the grin that many women would have melted. 

 

“I’m headed to do some lifting… you nearly done?  Maybe we can catch up for a drink some time?”

 

Mathew wasn’t trying to hit on the doctor, merely looking for someone to have a drink and shoot the ****.

 


  • 0

#23 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.16 @ 21:23 (09:23 PM)

Beka burst out laughing, shaking her head and grinning. Mathew’s sheer confidence was infectious and she could definitely see how he was able to hold his own on a bridge with Tyra and Jenny. 

 

“Oh no, you don’t get to do any more ‘lifting’ until you at least buy me dinner first,” the redhead shot back, knocking his hands away. “I’ll give you this, you certainly know how to make an impression. First time that impression was left on one of the girls though.” 

 

Her emerald green eyes sparkled mischievously in the light. From Beka’s perspective at least, any awkwardness was long gone, and she was happy to trade jokes and flirtatious quips. She could more than hold her own in these kinds of situations and her easy confidence was surging.

 

”You want a drink, I’ll let you take me out,” Sydesh added. “Either a nice safe drink in the lounge. Or you can take your chances, show me something special, and I’ll break out the little red dress. Your call.”

 

She matched his wink and grin with her own, mirror images of the ones Briggs had used on her.

 

Ball is in his court. For all our horsing around he’ll probably play it safe. That’s almost certainly the best option for both our careers. But... It would leave that nagging question. Just how much fun could we have if we tried our luck...


  • 0

#24 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.15 @ 01:24 (01:24 AM)

>>Engineering>>

 

==Just outside Deflector Control, Deck 16, followed by Just outside Antimatter Storage, Deck 18==

 

Benjamin stepped off the turbolift right into the middle of Damage Control team three. They were finishing getting suited up, and were double-checking their equipment. “How’re we doing, Ori?” he asked the Andorian, who didn’t look particularly thrilled with having to stuff her antennae in the radiation suit she was wearing.

 

“Doing alright, sir,” she replied, though he could hear the confusion in her voice. “We’ve got our portable forcefields ready to set up so we can work close to that breach, got our fusion torches and extra material. We should be able to assess the breach and get it sealed quick.” She had worked with him long enough that she didn’t actually ask the question he knew was on her mind.

 

“As expected,” he said with a smile. He looked around for a moment and dropped his voice, stepping closer to her. “Might have a situation down on 18. Sanderson’s in charge in engineering, but if something happens, get back there and help him out.” She nodded, understanding.

 

He turned and opened the locker to grab a spare radiation suit. “Good luck in there, everyone,” he told the team at large. The last of them were getting their suits on, and Orivessa got them all heading towards the breach. He watched them turn to go before turning back to the emergency supply closet. There was a second locker there, which he opened and pulled out a phaser pistol. A quick check like he had been taught, and he put it on his belt.

 

A short turbolift ride later, and he was in his suit and down on Deck 18. He had to go around the corner before he encountered Whitby and her team. The short currently-white-haired woman was already in her radiation suit, though she had her helmet off. “We’re all ready to go, sir, just waiting on security to arrive.” The other four engineers were fully-suited and waiting against the far wall, tricorders and other equipment in hand ready to deal with whatever was coming.

 

Benjamin nodded at them. “Security should be here momentarily,” he said. “It’s just a precaution, but the captain wants us to be sure.” He saw a couple of them looking down at his waist and seeing the weapon there. All he could do was nod. “Again, just a precaution. I’m going to go in with the security team; as they clear everything, I’ll assess the equipment and send for you.”

 

He was a bit concerned that the security team wouldn’t let him come with them, but he was going to make sure he went in. He wasn’t going to send any of his team in where he wasn’t willing to go himself.

 

==Tag Security==

 

==I’ve got two teams there ready to go, if you need to split up. Or if you both want to get in on the action here in the antimatter storage, feel free!==


  • 0

#25 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.15 @ 03:09 (03:09 AM)

==Just outside Deflector Control, Deck 16, followed by Just outside Antimatter Storage, Deck 18==

 

Training with the SRT had been intense, and was more intense than Nathan had originally anticipated. He knew that it would be tough, but he hadn’t expected to be thrown so far into the deep end. In fact, it felt less like a deep end, and more like a never-ending abyssal. And it was amazing. It required a great deal of his time, not just during shifts, but also after with all of the extra training. Then, in his free time, he was trying to catchup with the rest of the team. He was studying when he wasn’t eating, resting, or doing his own workouts. It all left him incredibly tired by the end of each day, but it finally felt like he had a direction, and wasn’t just mindlessly wandering the cosmos.

 

Though, he had to remember, that he was only a trainee so farl something Praasn had been quick to remind him of when the ship felt like it had collided with an asteroid. But Nathan tried not to dwell on that. And certainly wouldn’t once he realized the whole situation.

 

Exiting on Deck 16 to meet up with the Damage Control Teams before going in, he saw everyone suiting up.

 

“Radiation?” Nathan asked, and another Security Officer nodded.

 

Nathan gathered his gear, deciding that he would keep his Phaser Rifle with torch and red-dot sight as his main weapon. And then with an alacrity that could only be accomplished through rehearsed practice, Ramius donned a rad-suit in short order. It wasn’t the first time nor, he hoped, would it be the last. Then, he made sure he had his tricorder, pistol, and extra energy cells in the various holsters and pockets adorning the outside of the suit. Finally, after a quick check of suit integrity, and that he had all the gear he needed, Nathan moved toward the turbolift.

 

It was a very short drop, and Nathan cracked his neck in the intervening moment, which was harder to do with the helmet on. As the turbolift opened, he took point and moved out of the car, a few other officers tailing him. Rounding the corner, he was happy to see his friend Benjamin, and gave the man a quick nod. Then, his attention was caught by Whitby and her short white hair. Nathan gave her a brief smile before moving forward toward Elias.

 

“Chief,” Nathan said to Ben as he approached, “there is one more team on the way. Any idea on who, or what, broke your ship yet?”

 

There was a mischievous grin that appeared for a short second, until it was wiped away by a more warming smile.

 

 

== tag Elias ==


  • 0

#26 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.15 @ 07:47 (07:47 AM)

>> Security Complex >>

== Just outside Antimatter Storage, Deck 18 ==

After a brief stop in order to suit up as requested and making sure that everything was correct and in working order, as well as briefing her team about their orders. Eliana stepped out of the lift and proceeded along the corridor. The suit protecting her against the possible radiation felt clunky and restrictive which she knew was likely all in her head, especially with going into an unknown situation. She didn't know what awaited them and yet she would carry out her orders to the very letter.

Passing people already in suits, Eli was sure that she had seen Whitby as she continued onwards before approaching her two friends. Grinning despite the seriousness of the situation as she caught the end of Nathan's comment. " Looks like the band is back together" she teased, knowing that it had been a while since the three of them had been in the same vicinity. Okay it would be infinitely better if the ship hadn't just crashed out of warp but like always, they were used to the unexpected.

Teasing aside, her tone became more serious as she surveyed the immediate area. " I'll have my team start to evacuate non essential personnel then we're all yours". Then her words were put into action as the evacuation got under way.

== Tag Ron & Harry :D ==
  • 0

#27 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.15 @ 13:17 (01:17 PM)

[Braggins to Elias, hold position. Do not enter Antimatter Storage.]


  • 0

#28 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.16 @ 02:27 (02:27 AM)

It wasn’t too long before Security showed up, and he was pleasantly surprised at who exactly he had been assigned.

 

Benjamin flashed a grin back at the newly-promoted Nathan as he came up, already suited. “Chief,” he said. “There is one more team on the way. Any idea on who, or what, broke your ship yet?”

 

He narrowed his eyes at his friend, but the smile never left his face. “No,” he said. “At this point, I’m more concerned with what’s currently happening. Hopefully the bridge has a better idea about what’s happened, in which case I’m going to believe that the lack of a red alert declaration is a good sign.”

 

Before he could say anything more, though, he saw Eli walk up, also with her radiation gear on thankfully. They all exchanged a couple of pleasantries before she got down to business, being the ranking security officer. “I’ll have my team start to evacuate non-essential personnel then we’re all yours.”

 

“Sounds like a good plan,” he agreed, and waved her towards the door. “I’ll be there with you, though; the rest of the team will be waiting on the all clear.” He turned to see Whitby putting her helmet on, but she nodded an acknowledgement. Turning back to the security team, he added “There shouldn’t be more than one or two crewmen in here at most; it’s not a normal position for someone to stay at, but someone usually checks it near shift change.”

 

He kicked himself mentally for not checking to see who was on this rotation today, and for not checking to see where people were. He should’ve done so, shouldn’t he? Knowing where your people are is a big part of being a department head, right? he thought, but tried to push it from his mind. It was too late for worries like that. 

 

Get in, find anyone who’s there, find out what’s wrong, and get the ship moving. That was the lay of the land right now. So long as Artemis was sitting still, she was in danger; whatever had done this to them could recur easily, whether it be a natural phenomenon repeating or hostile action.

 

He pulled out his tricorder before turning to look at the two security officers and nodding. “Let’s g--”

 

[Braggins to Elias,] Jenny interrupted, [hold position. Do not enter antimatter storage.]

 

Benjamin nearly fell forward into the door, and only managed to catch himself at the last minute. A string of invectives spilled out of him before he could stop it, and he slammed the tricorder shut before he slapped his commbadge to reply. “Sorry, but what? We’ve got a radiation leak in there, and if we don’t get it figured out, or if God forbid something like what happened to the deflector is happening in there now, I don’t need to remind you that we won’t be here anymore.”

 

==Tags to security==


  • 0

#29 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.20 @ 02:46 (02:46 AM)

A piece of Nathan’s soul was uplifted when he watched as his friend’s eyes narrowed at him, though that feeling snuck away once Ben got serious. It was always fun to get a bit of a teasing rise out of close friends, and adding a bit of levity before they really got stuck in was nice. A familiar voice then chimed in, echoing the atmosphere of the moment.

 

" Looks like the band is back together", Eliana said, and Nathan’s grin returned to his face once more.

 

That was the last of the banter however, as Eli too sought to get down to business. Nathan nodded as she spoke. It was vital that they get the area clear, and Benjamin helped alleviate some pressure when he added that the deck wasn’t usually heavily crewed. And not like it could be. It was near the very bottom of the ship. Any lower, and someone would practically have to cling to the landing struts.

 

“I’m going to take Crewman Hartsell and follow the Chief here,” Nathan spoke to Eliana, but also said it loudly enough for the Enlisted officer to hear him.

 

Both Ramius and the other officer then stacked up on Elias, and readied themselves. More than anything, Nathan felt it was more likely that they’d have to be pulling someone out of the area than having to go into combat. Still, he had his phase rifle checked but ready, just in case.

 

“Let’s g--”

 

Nathan’s feet were about to carry him forward until the sound of Commander Braggin’s voice broke that intention, and instead he planted his foot back into a ready-stance. That didn’t stop Hartsell though, who bumped into Ramius’ back, before apologizing and returning to his position as well.

 

Confusion set in on Nathan’s face as he wondered why Jenny would stall them. Nevermind having them hold position without additional information. Though, it did make for a great mystery, as a massive amount of scenarios buzzed through his head about what could potentially be in the next room to make the Bridge call down and put a kybosh on the whole thing. It wasn’t the time, Nathan understood, to let his imagination run wild with speculation. Instead, he swallowed the lump sitting in his throat, and frowned.

 

Benjamin started into a cavalcade of colorfully choice words until he closed his tricorder and slapped his comm badge like it was an annoying midge, before replying to Braggins. The frustration in Ben’s voice was palpable, and Nathan couldn’t blame him for it. Though, it was the way that the Engineer was speaking to the FO, that made the security officer wince slightly. It was one thing to be passionate, but another thing altogether to draw the ire of one Jennifer Braggins.

 

It is the heat of the moment. I’m sure Jenny will understand that. Mostly.

 

“…God forbid something like what happened to the deflector is happening in there now, I don’t need to remind you that we won’t be here anymore.”

 

The last bit should have been chilling to hear. But it just wasn’t. Having encountered insane Augments, a cutthroat Syndicate, and zombie Borg, getting annihilated by antimatter seemed relatively peaceful. Plus, if something did happen with the antimatter, Nathan wouldn’t even have time to worry about it.

 

With little better to do than wait, Nathan fiddled with his tricorder and tried to take some readings. If there was anyone beyond, hopefully he could pick them up despite radiation interference.

 

That’s a stretch though. But might as well if we are waiting.

 

 

== GM input: Don’t suppose Nathan’s security tricorder can pick up anything on the deck, or even just beyond their current position? ==


  • 0

#30 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.20 @ 13:12 (01:12 PM)

With her team following her instructions, it enabled Eliana to focus on the conversation with Ben & Nathan, especially when the CE then agreed with her plan to evacuate. Although did listen as he went on to explain what he wanted to do and how the rest of his team would be waiting on the all clear. That was  understandable given what they didn't know yet and acknowledged Whitby and the others as Ben informed them about how this usually operated.

Nodding her understanding and agreement about how this wasn't a normal situation. Eli prepared to assist her team until needed as Nathan told her that he would follow Ben along with Hartsell. " Okay, just holler if you need me" she replied as she left them to enter the room first.

Not that any of them got very far as Jenny called down and told Elias to hold position and not enter antimatter storage. Naturally there was some confusion as well as obvious frustration which Ben didn't hold back on. Eli didn't blame her friend considering their current predicament but there was clearly a reason as to why they had been stopped.

Images of the zombie like Borg and the battle skimmed the recesses of her mind as they remained on standby, hoping that they would have answers and soon. The alternative wasn't worth thinking about as she resumed what she was doing for now.

" Let's finish clearing the deck" she instructed her team, but stayed within calling distance.

== Tags ==

== GM input, is Eli and her team successful in evacuating the deck? ==
  • 0

#31 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22103.22 @ 12:08 (12:08 PM)

==Ramius==

 

Beyond the anomaly in the Antimatter Containment area, there was nothing suspicious on the Tricorder. Not designed for scientific work, the Tricorder could not accurately detail the composition of the anomaly, but did flag a warning that it had detected what it expected to be some form of explosive compound. He would need to get closer before he could determine whether the Tricorder was referring to the anomaly or the stored antimatter, though.

 

==McKenna==

 

Deck 18 was a sparsely-populated deck at the best of times, and evacuating the dozen or so crew whose battle stations were around the storage pod was fairly simple. There were few protests, but given the likelihood of a catastrophic ship-vaporising explosion, it was likely none of the crew really saw much point.


  • 0

#32 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.23 @ 01:49 (01:49 AM)

It only took a few moments for the readings to come back, and for the most part, it was exactly what Nathan thought he might find; a whole lot of nothing. The deck was a ghost town at the best of times, so it wasn’t likely that the place was going to be crawling with officers anyway. Though, with all the radiation interference, he couldn’t know for sure beyond the door ahead of them.

 

Then there was the matter of the explosive compound. Antimatter was… delicate stuff. Touchy, in fact. So handsy that if it got even a little of its little antiproton and positron mitts on some regular matter, kablooey. It didn’t take an EOD tech to know that it wasn’t nice stuff to be around. Or, that it was finnicky stuff. So, it was possible that was what the tricorder was picking up. However, there was also the potentiality that the security tricorder was reading something entirely different. Sadly, it wasn’t tuned to be used for the detection, and revealing, of scientific phenomenon. That meant the anomaly really couldn’t be figured out. Though, something in the back of Nathan’s mind wondered.

 

Sure, this thing doesn’t run the gambit of the Science world. But. It is really good at picking up baddies, boom sticks, and ordnance. So, if it is picking up explosives…

 

“I know antimatter is an explosive,” Nathan started to say, wondering if he was going to regret opening his mouth in some way; a natural reaction considering his career so far.

 

“So, that might be what the tricorder is picking up. And, I can’t get a read on the anomaly either. But there is the possibility that something in that area,” he gestured ahead, “is explosive, and not just of the antimatter kind.”

 

Nathan sighed, then shook the tricorder a little in a small display of frustration. A frown fell upon his forehead, while his lips darted to the side a bit. Ramius could get a better reading, he knew, if he could just get a bit closer. That impulse was quickly shut down by his brain.

 

We know what happens when we rush into things, right Nathan?

 

“If we hit some kind of subspace anomaly, the Bridge wouldn’t have us wait, right? Maybe we struck an object?” his voice didn’t sound confident. In fact, it sounded like he was just working through some thought processes.

 

“But the deflector should have pushed anything in front of the Artemis out of the way, right?”

 

Thinking it was one thing, but saying it aloud was another. Unless the Artemis had hit something particularly massive, which in that case he assumed Deck Eighteen simply wouldn’t be around anymore, then what else was there that would potentially leave traces of explosive elements.

 

“A mine?”

 

 

== tag Elias and maybe Eli if she is back by then ==


  • 0

#33 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.24 @ 07:41 (07:41 AM)

Evacuating the deck was easy enough even with the occasional person who looked as though they wanted to protest. Given the current circumstances and possible threat of an explosion that could literally end everything here and now. Eli didn't have to forcibly remind them or threaten to stun them in order to get them to leave. The task itself was over pretty quickly owing to the fact that this particular deck was sparsely occupied which was definitely fortuitous at this particular time.

When the last of the Deck 18 personnel entered the safety of the turbolift, Eli turned to her team and issued orders. " Sanderson, Lewis I want you both to take up a position here, Rixxen, Cante and S'Lia, you three patrol the corridor. I also want regular updates and check ins. Everyone else you're with me".

Orders issued and acknowledged, Eli then tapped her comm badge to check in with Coleman and Ziggy.

" McKenna to Security, Deck 18 has been evacuated of all non essential personnel. My team are taking position in strategic points as well as maintaining a patrol of the deck. Proceeding to assist Lieutenant Ramius and Chief Elias, McKenna out".

Update made, Eli double backed with the remaining members of her team. Approaching her two friends almost as if she hadn't been gone. Although did catch the end of Nathan's comment and if they had hit a mine, then that wasn't good either.

"The deck is clear of all non essential personnel and I have my team spread out to ensure it stays that way. As for what you suggested Nathan, it's something we can't rule out. Either way whatever it is, isn't good until we know more".

== Tag Nathan & Ben ==
  • 0

#34 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.24 @ 13:13 (01:13 PM)

[I have reason to believe we have a partially-phased mine in the store room; unless you have an EOD technician with you, wait for backup.]


  • 0

#35 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.25 @ 01:51 (01:51 AM)

Moments stretched as Benjamin waited for a reply of some kind. And he waited, and he waited. Part of him wondered if Jenny was already on her way down to murder him personally, while the other was just exasperated at the thought that things might be getting worse in there but he’d been forbidden from going in.

 

Fortunately, Nathan seemed to have been a little quicker on the uptake than he was and had started scanning. He rambled for a minute, but eventually Benjamin got the point. “A mine?” Nathan said, and it sunk in just what was being implied.

 

But how could the mine be in the storage bay, if the only hull breach is up at the deflector? he thought, before adding two and two and getting interphasic mines. “Oh, boy,” he said under his breath, and pulled out his own tricorder.

 

Before he could do anything, though, Eli walked up. “The deck is clear of all non-essential personnel and I have my team spread out to ensure it stays that way,” she reported. He nodded in acknowledgement combined with agreement to the rest of her statement, but his eyes stayed locked on his tricorder. He finally got it scanning the area, trying to find the same explosive trace that Nathan had found and hoping his engineering tricorder had better luck at identifying it.

 

[I have reason to believe we have a partially-phased mine in the store room,] Jenny finally said over the comms; [unless you have an EOD technician with you, wait for backup.]

 

Great, he thought. Just great. Not two weeks after I let my demolitions expert join up with a crew helping the Talaxians start infrastructure projects… But there was nothing for it now, and he certainly wasn’t well-trained in it. He started to tap his commbadge to reply, but just left it alone. Anything he could say wouldn’t add to the conversation anyway.

 

“Alright, then,” he said. “Looks like that theory is confirmed, or at least is less theoretical than it was two minutes ago.” He turned to the damage control team behind him. “Whitby, take your people and get out of here; looks like we’re on preventative here anyway.” He thought for a second, and added “Go on up to the forward section and help out Ori with the deflector. She should be working on the breach, but make sure we can get the deflector up and running, too.” She looked between the three officers worriedly before nodding and turning to get her team moving. He knew he’d have to keep an eye out for her to do something stupid here in a few minutes, but for now she was going to get her team where they needed to be.

 

“Alright you two,” he told his friends, “you heard Jenny. This is going to be… interesting.” He looked down at his tricorder and started doing some additional scans – specifically, trying to identify any weakened structural points or other indicators that yes, something did phase through this object. He knew they would be difficult to spot – phased matter only interacted weakly with non-phased matter – but he hoped to be able to spot at least something. If it’s in contact with something, he reasoned, maybe the indicators will be larger…

 

After all, he couldn’t tell the EOD tech – whoever they had on board that could do this, anyway – where to work on the bomb until they knew its location. “I don’t suppose either of you have EOD training, do you?”

 

==Tags==

==GM Input: Can I identify the explosive, and can I tell where the explosive is? I mean, more specifically than “in the room” even if it’s still less precise than I’d like.==


  • 0

#36 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.27 @ 04:27 (04:27 AM)

==Ensign Orivessa Sh’Thanis, Andorian Engineer==

==Deck 16, just past Deflector Control==

 

“Dammit, Xagm!” Ori said and not for the first time, as the Tellarite dropped the field generator he was carrying again. “Be careful with that thing!”

 

“It’s heavy, and whoever designed it should have given it a carrying strap of some kind!” he yelled. He wasn’t exactly wrong, but Ori wasn’t in the mood for his complaining - even though he was a Tellarite, and it was kind of expected from him.

 

“Michaels, T’Sorik,” he said, calling out two of the others on her team, “grab that thing from him and let’s keep moving.” It had been a grand total of five minutes, seven at the outside, and they still hadn’t reached the hull breach. Dammit, Ori, she thought, you and your team are better than this. She still had to check on the deflector proper, not just the breach, and every minute they wasted was another minute she was stuck here.

 

The team stopped while the two got the device between them, and she was about to get them moving again when she heard someone else call out. She was about to lose her temper when she realized that it wasn’t one of her team. “Whitby?” she asked quietly as she realized who the voice belonged to. She quickly sent the rest of the group ahead, and made her way back to meet up with the crewman. “What happened?”

 

The shorter woman stopped for a moment and caught her breath. “Ben’s down at the antimatter pods,” she said, “and sent my team up here to help out. I’ve got most of them helping with the minor damage.” She stopped for a second, biting her bottom lip.

 

“What?” Ori asked her. She knew there had to be more, but didn’t want to press too hard.

 

“It…” she started, but she seemed to stop and reconsider, looking around the room. Ori crossed her arms, staring at her friend and trying to encourage her to talk without being too threatening. Somehow, it worked, and she continued on. “There may be a bomb or something in antimatter storage. They’re working on it, but…” She shrugged her shoulders, as Ori felt her own sink.

 

Her first instinct was to get everyone and get as far away as they could. Reason kicked in quickly, though: if the antimatter detonated, there wasn’t anywhere on the ship they could go and survive, so there wasn’t any point in even trying. Better to just get to work and try to get the ship back online, she reasoned, and knew that Whitby had come to the same conclusion.

 

“Alright, then,” she said. “I assume he’s got it under control, or at least there’s others coming that will.” She took a deep breath, her antennae spreading in a deliberate attempt to retain her calm. It only partially worked, confined like they were in the radiation suit. She opened her mouth, and then closed it again, realizing something. “You’re going to go back down there, aren’t you?”

 

Whitby recoiled slightly, almost imperceptibly had they not known each other so well. “No, of course not,” she said. “He told me not to.”

 

Her eyes squinted, and she felt her antennae try and point forward as well. “Alright, then. Go on forward and get eyes on that hull breach. Comm me and let me know what you’ve got, and how much we’re going to need to get it patched.” She pointed to the door they were standing beside before continuing, “I’ll be here in Deflector Control, assessing the systems.”

 

Whitby turned to go, but she grabbed the smaller woman’s shoulder and turned her slightly. “The door will be open, and I’ll be watching, okay? Please,” she said, “please don’t do anything stupid.”

 

Kate dropped her eyes to the floor, but nodded. “Alright,” she said, and looked back up at the Andorian woman, a fire in her eyes. “Alright, damn you.” But she turned and went after the rest of Ori’s team anyway.

 

Ori hated herself for a minute, and knew she’d pay for that later. Assuming there is a later. She turned to the door and locked it open before heading inside. A few button presses, and she started to run diagnostics. She knew the system wasn’t registering as connected, which meant either the deflector was either completely destroyed, or the connections were.

 

As she tried to get the computer working and running the diagnostics she wanted, she also got out her tricorder to try and pinpoint the radiation source as best she could, and let that scan run as it sat on the console next to her.

 

==GM Input: Okay, so many things!

Hull breach - how big is it, can we patch it, what’s it doing?

Deflector dish - Does the system seem intact, is it basically destroyed, what am I working with?

Radiation - long shot, but can I find out more about the radiation from here?== 


  • 0

#37 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.28 @ 02:07 (02:07 AM)

Seeing Eliana walk up brought a slight smile to Nathan’s face, but only for a moment. There was some good news from her, that the deck had been cleared, but that still didn’t make him feel any better. If there was a mine right next door to the antimatter storage pods, there wouldn’t be anywhere on the ship that would be remotely safe. Hell, even hopping aboard one of the shuttlecraft wouldn’t be helpful either, if they were in the middle of a minefield.

 

Ramius’ mind raced to try and figure out just how they might have stumbled into a minefield without sensors detecting anything. Sure, there were cloaked mines, of course. However, the deflector shield should have pushed them out of the way while at warp. If not fully, then at least partially. So, how then would one of those said mines get lodged into the hull? There was a possibility, despite however remote it might be, that perhaps it wasn’t mine at all. Maybe it was just a bomb. Maybe, there was a cloaked ship that managed to somehow use a transporter to beam a bomb aboard? That, is when the reality of everything was confirmed.

 

Cracking his neck at Commander Braggin’s news, there was a feeling in the pit of Nathan’s stomach. Perhaps it should have been a feeling of dread. And to a degree, it was. But it wasn’t for himself. There was a voice in the back of his head, telling him that he should shoo his friends away. Though, again, Nathan fully realized that there really wasn’t a safe distance that they could retreat to. Sure, getting to an escape pod or shuttlecraft might give better chances than standing next to the damn thing, but it wasn’t a perfect solution.

 

The best way out of this is to defuse the bomb.

 

“I don’t suppose either of you have EOD training, do you?” Ben said as Nathan stopped himself from being surprised; feeling like his friend had just read his mind.

 

“We both do, I think,” he took a step back to be able to talk to Eli and Ben simultaneously, “I just got my recert when I started training with the SRT. But if this is a phased-mine? That isn’t exactly textbook stuff that is covered in the training scenarios.”

 

Looking to Eli for confirmation, Nathan shifted his weight, sighed, cracked his neck, then looked back to Ben.

 

“I mean, if it is a simple fuze, then it won’t be an issue. If it gets more complicated than that… well then we’d normally go with a render safe procedure. But we can’t do that here, not with a partially-phased mine, and certainly not next to an antimatter storage pod.”

 

Nathan’s eyes darted from Ben back to Eliana, speaking to her next,

 

“We should probably give Coleman a heads-up if Jenny hasn’t already, and let him know. It sucks that Tate isn’t here. She’d probably be able to have this done with a blindfold on. But there are a few EOD specialists, including the Armorer, who could take lead on this.”

 

I’m sure Commander Braggins already let Security know… but, just in case…

 

That was when Nathan decided to tap his comm badge,

 

“Ramius to Dispatch. Deck Eighteen has been cleared of all non-essentials. We have a possible large, and advanced, explosive device..." he paused, then decided to be more specific.

 

"Actually, it is potentially a partially phased-mine next to the antimatter storage pods. Please advise Lieutenant Coleman. We will await further orders.”

 

Another sigh escaped Nathan, as he looked to Eliana. He wanted to tell her that she should probably leave. To get to somewhere at least a little more safe than right next to where the explosion could take place. But he thought better of it in the end. Mostly because he knew that she already understood the implications. That, and both her and Ben were the ranking officers, not him.

 

If anything, they’d probably be the ones to tell me to get my butt out of here.

 

 

== tag Eli and Ben ==


  • 0

#38 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.28 @ 09:02 (09:02 AM)

It was bad enough to hear that they could possibly be dealing with a mine. However Eliana's blood ran even colder when Jenny then informed them of what she believed was awaiting them on the other side of the door, suddenly became a far more serious situation than anyone could of imagined. Whilst simultaneously being slightly relieved that they hadn't gone inside yet and knew better than to ignore the FO's instincts. The delay had certainly been beneficial so they could deal with it appropriately as Ben then told Whitby and the others to get out of here.

That was definitely the right move to make as Ben then turned to her and Nathan. Facing death was something that they had all experienced several times over so the use of the word interesting seemed morbidly appropriate for this moment. When the CE then asked if either of his friends had EOD training, Eli knew she could be honest as Nathan answered. " I'll admit that I haven't got that far yet, but I do have the basic knowledge" she admitted as Nathan continued. Even with her basic knowledge and training, this wasn't a normal explosive device and yet hoped that for once, luck would be on their side when it came to the simplicity of diffusing the mine.

Then again nothing was ever simple and this was just one more problem they had to figure out, before it was too late. Nodding her agreement when Nathan then suggested that they inform Coleman. Besides this was exactly the kind of thing he needed to know, especially when it came to EOD.

The look that Nathan then gave her after he had finished his call to the Chief, was one that she knew well. Although she wasn't about to go anywhere, despite the risks and the odds against them. No she had a job to do and they were in this together, as this was about everyone on this crew and she be damned if they weren't going to see this through.

== Tag Nathan & Ben ==
  • 0

#39 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.28 @ 17:32 (05:32 PM)

[Coleman to McKenna. Move the rest of your team out of Deck Eighteen if you haven't already, except for a couple of officers who will restrict access to the deck at the turbolift, in case any non-essentials try to wander in. Stay onsite and continue to give updates. Specialist Tegg is en route with an EOD team. Coleman out.]


  • 0

#40 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22103.29 @ 14:03 (02:03 PM)

==Elias==

 

The explosive device, as near as the Tricorder could tell, was at the far end of the room, probably at least partly embedded in the armored rear bulkhead. The type of explosive could not yet be identified, he'd need to get closer and possibly even inside the device to determine that.

 

==Ori==

 

The hull breach was fairly large, four meters across at the thinnest point and over six at the largest. It was also the source of the radiation, as it had been the epicenter of the detonation. It was your basic Neutron Radiation, highly penetrating and highly dangerous to organic material, but not to inorganic matter. 

 

The primary and secondary control units for the deflector were missing, victims of the blast, while the tertiary controls were severed by debris and would require replacing. Likewise, any bioneural gelpacks in the area would likely need replacing if they had survived the blast, as the radiation would do untold damage to their biological components.

 

The deflector itself appeared to have avoided the brunt of the explosion. Had the mine been a metre or so to the left, it would have struck the dish itself and the charged antiprotons it contained would have incinerated the front half of the ship. However, despite the damage looking fairly minor, it no longer glowed with its characteristic shine, and several deep gouges were evident, exposing delicate and hand-crafted circuitry inside to the vacuum of space. 


  • 0

#41 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.30 @ 03:18 (03:18 AM)

==Ensign Orivessa Sh’Thanis, Andorian Engineer==

==Deck 16, just past Deflector Control==

 

Ori was not surprised by her results, even though she was greatly disappointed. For once the tendency of Star Fleet to have not just backups of critical systems, but backups of backups, had actually borne fruit: the primary and secondary controls were completely gone, but the tertiaries were still present, though still heavily damaged and in need of dire repair. 

 

But repair we can do; replace would be much harder without some kind of facility to work at. She was reminded of a phrase she was told during an engineering class at the Academy: ‘Do you have a backup’ means ‘I can’t fix this.’ Fortunately, she had a backup.

 

Also fortunately, the automated diagnostic was able to give her a good report on the deflector dish itself. The dish was intact, though damaged. It would definitely require an EVA to fix but it should be moderately functional with just fixes to the control unit, meaning at least low to medium warp speeds would be possible.

 

She was about to get a team together when her tricorder beeped; it had located the source of the radiation. It was, of course, precisely where Whitby and her team had gone: right at the hull breach. The whole situation was starting to look less and less like some kind of freak accident to her, and more like an attack.

 

Picking up her tricorder, she turned the corner and headed after Whitby. They were all surveying the breach - larger than she’d assumed it would be - when she came up behind them. “Alright everyone,” she said in her command voice, “take all of your measurements, and then drop what you’ve got and get out.” There were a couple of quizzical faces, which she silenced when she turned the in-built Geiger counter’s speaker on, which immediately started buzzing and clicking at them over the open comm. “Radiation source is the breach itself; we’ll need to deal with that first before we start trying to fix the breach.”

 

Whitby turned and nodded, then started issuing orders of her own. “Xagm, tricorder; get a detailed scan of the breach, and all the data you can about the room. T’Sorik, throw him your tricorder so he can do both at once.” The Vulcan nodded and tossed over her own tricorder. “Everyone else, start clearing the area; get any debris picked up and toted out to disposal, and all loose items that need to remain clear of the breach.”

 

Ori nodded, glad that her friend seemed to have it under control. “Alright, then,” she said. “I’ll get another team ready to clear the radiation.” Whitby nodded, not looking back, and got to work herself.

 

For a moment, Ori thought about stopping her to talk, but let it be. There was too much going on, and time was a factor. They’d be alright for now. Right? The Andorian turned and walked out, heading towards the turbolift. She hit her commbadge and called down to Engineering proper, requesting some supplies.

 

There weren’t many methods of cleaning up neutron radiation. The most common source of it was warp cores, which gave off negligible amounts of it, and generally it dissipated on its own when given time. Places that were highly saturated were typically just left alone for long enough that it cleared itself, because the most common reason for saturation was a matter/antimatter explosion which tended to destroy anything you might want to save anyway.

 

The best method she had read about was an aerosolized Dentium Tetraiodide solution throughout the affected area. The compound was sensitive to the radiation and would bond with the stray neutrons, keeping them from causing more reactions. Once they had bonded, it was a simple matter to just lock onto the particles and beam them out - either for storage or simply using transporter code 13 to dematerialize them all into space. It wasn’t 100% effective - of course, no solution was - but it had a good track record in testing of at least reducing the time to dissipation by 70% or more.

 

Of course, those tests had been in lab settings, rather than in a room on an inhabited starship. And Dentium Tetraiodide had some… interesting… effects on organic matter. So, she was planning to utilize a couple of field generators to seal off the room and flood the compartment with the gas. It would give the team a better ability to stay in the area for longer while working on the deflector controls, at least.

 

It took a couple of minutes for the team to get the area cleared and everyone evacuated, during which time a pair of crewmen had brought down the two field generators, as well as a pair of gas canisters with the compound she needed. She arranged them to generate a pair of hemispheres centered on the breach, one nested inside the other. It wouldn’t cover the entire compartment, but it would cover most of it.

 

A few quick commands tied the field generators and the two canister’s release switches to her tricorder, and she was as ready as she was going to be. She tapped her commbadge and called, “Deflector control to Transporter Room 3. Standby to transport the gas out.”

 

Once she had an acknowledgement, she breathed out, staring at the commands on her tricorder. She was sure it would work. It would definitely work. Wouldn’t it? She considered calling down to Ben and asking his opinion, but he had an actual mine to worry about and didn’t need this. No, this was the right course of action.

 

She pressed the button, releasing the gas within the double-layered field. Immediately, she flicked over to scanning mode to see how well it was working, and waited to give the transporter operator the order.

 

==GM Input: Radiation cleared out, at least mostly?==


  • 0

#42 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.31 @ 01:43 (01:43 AM)

Benjamin only got more and more frustrated as he read what the tricorder was telling him. The good news, of course, was that the device was on the far side of the room, as best as he could figure.

 

The bad news was that was about all he could determine about the device, and even that was so iffy that he wasn’t entirely sure about it.

 

He nodded as Nathan and Eli listed off their (unfortunately limited) EOD training, but was a bit more enthusiastic when Nathan suggested calling his boss. “Definitely a good idea,” Benjamin agreed. He waited with Eli as Nathan called it in, and tried to think through it all.

 

EOD would know precisely what to do, but he still needed to know if there was any damage or issue that needed to be dealt with immediately. That was his responsibility, after all. Besides, if this thing is phased, we’re gonna have to de-phase it to even start trying to defuse it. And he couldn’t decide the best way to do that from out here, not if the tricorders weren’t going to do any better than this.

 

[Coleman to McKenna,] he heard the reply come in. [Move the rest of your team out of Deck Eighteen if you haven't already, except for a couple of officers who will restrict access to the deck at the turbolift, in case any non-essentials try to wander in. Stay onsite and continue to give updates. Specialist Tegg is en route with an EOD team. Coleman out.]

 

That, at least, was a positive development. With Tate gone, he hadn’t been sure if they had an EOD specialist on the ship. He just hoped that this Tegg was up to the challenge they were being faced with.

 

He sighed and turned to his friends, closing the tricorder in his hand. “I can’t tell much of anything from out here, there’s a lot of interference, but as far as I can tell the device is on the far end of the room.” He closed his eyes and took a deep breath as he put the tricorder on his belt.

 

“I know Jenny told us to stay put, but that was while she confirmed what we were dealing with. Tegg is gonna need as much information as he can get, and time is a factor. Plus, there could be any number of problems going on behind that door that I need to deal with.” He gestured at it as he continued, “I’m going to get the door open - manually, slowly - and get in to get a clearer scan. Nathan, you grab the far side?” He walked over to the controls and disengaged the automatic sensor as he continued. “It’ll be a lot easier and smoother with the two of us.”

 

==Tag Nathan and Eli==


  • 0

#43 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.31 @ 12:44 (12:44 PM)

Jenny was still cursing herself internally for her screwup on the Bridge when she arrived outside Antimatter Storage with the flustered Specialist Tegg and his assistants in tow. Not communicating something so serious as a potential mine strike was something she might have gotten away with while still a Helm Officer, but the responsibilities of Department Head and First Officer relied on communicating such important information - and she'd failed to do so. Truth be told, she believed she might have gotten so used to being the one nominally in charge while Tyra was organising the Task Force and doing the diplomatic stuff, that she'd forgotten she wasn't the Artemis' Captain...

 

Time to solve that mistake now, but not over-communicate...

 

Arriving just in time to see Elias and Ramius about to pry open the doors, Jenny stood back and let the two men work - she was here to supervise and assist if needed, and keep a flow of information running to the Bridge. Tegg, who had complained about being pulled away from his book for the entire turbolift journey, and his assistants would do the heavy lifting if they were in fact dealing with an explosive device. Having recalled the important points in the Denobulan's record, Jenny would have felt much more comfortable with an officer conducting any defusing procedures, even the foul-mouthed Tate would do in a pinch.

 

Alas, someone at HQ had decided that EOD experts wouldn't be needed in the Delta Quadrant, which left them incredibly short-staffed. The Jupiter and Scott probably had a few aboard, but they were out of the Artemis' remaining communications range and wouldn't arrive in time even if they could be contacted. All they could do was hope that a Denobulan Petty Officer, his two fresh-faced assistants, and whatever skills two security officers, an engineer, and an Augment could bring to the table would be enough to save the ship...


  • 0

#44 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.01 @ 03:13 (03:13 AM)

It didn’t take a friend to understand the face that Eliana made back at Nathan. The way her features played out, anyone with a modicum of social aptitude could plainly see it. She was going nowhere. But there was something just a little bit deeper there. Context was king in that Nathan understood not just the look, but the feelings within. He nodded his head at Eli and gave her a knowing grin; if the ship were to go down in flames, it’d be with them together.

 

Coleman’s response broke the moment and the tension, and it was good to hear that someone with EOD specialization would be coming to take over. Tegg, despite his attitude, was more than capable at his job; he took pride in his work, even if he played it off with a nonchalant flair. The Denobulan wasn’t Nathan’s cup of tea when it came to work associates, but he simply stayed clear of the Petty Officer whenever he could.

 

Movement from Ben caught Nathan’s eye and caused him to turn and look to his friend as he spoke. The radiation was just too intense to give them a good read of anything, except that the mine was near the back of the room. That was a good sign, Ramius gathered, as it gave them space to maneuver and work if needed. However, Elias seemed… agitated, or antsy, Nathan couldn’t exactly tell. Ever since becoming the Chief Engineer, the man had certainly adopted the Artemis as his own. The ship was his baby, and he was very much a doting father. Perhaps too much so at times, but it was a good trait to have as far as Nathan was concerned. After all, what good would it do to have someone in that position who didn’t care for his ship?

 

“I know Jenny told us to stay put, but that was while she confirmed what we were dealing with…”

 

Uh oh. He wants to go in.

 

Head tilting and eyes narrowing slightly, Nathan stared back at his friend as he listened further. Ben wasn’t wrong. They needed information soon rather than later. Plus, they were going to have to go in there anyway, so how would it hurt to head there now? The only concern that Nathan had was if there was some sort of short range scanner on the device, that could detect pressure, movement, or even have friend-or-foe software. That thought took him back to Ponm for a split second, the cell, Ben yelping, the Klingon guard slumping to the floor after bashing her head against the bars a few dozen times. Despite the pain he had been in, Ben never quit, and was figuring out the jail’s systems despite everything he had been through. They had been through a lot together. Which meant that Nathan naturally felt a potent 'ride-or-die' sort of pact with Ben. But he did worry. Did Jenny know better? Had Bridge scans showed something they might not know of?

 

Regardless of his reservations, Nathan followed Ben without even thinking. Going to the far side from where Elias was, Ramius shot him a glance as he disengaged the sensor,

 

“It’ll be a lot easier and smoother with the two of us.”

 

Nathan’s mouth opened for just a moment, with a ‘are you sure about this?’ look on his face. It was rare for Ramius to be the voice of reason between the two of them, and it caused him to hesitate. His head rotated and his blue eyes went to Eliana for an intra-friendship second opinion . That is when he caught a glimpse of Tegg, his assistants, and one Commander Jennifer Braggins.

 

Ah, so she did come down here herself. I feel safer already.

 

Seeing as Braggins didn’t start screaming at them, Nathan shrugged, finalized his position and grip, then nodded to Ben. The engineer nodded back at him,

 

“Alright, gently as you can, and smoothly,” Ben started to count, “Three, two, one. Now!”

 

The pair of them pulled the door apart…

 

 

== tag all, including GM ==


Edited by Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius, Star Date 22104.01 @ 03:16 (03:16 AM).

  • 0

#45 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.01 @ 06:11 (06:11 AM)

The moment that she was sharing with Nathan spoke volumes about their friendship, before Coleman responded and gave Eliana a direct order. Redirecting four of her team to help elsewhere would be simple enough to do as they had to minimise and restrict the number of people on this deck. The situation was tense enough as is and with Tegg and his team en route, it was about to get busier. Eli then tapped her badge to acknowledge the order before carrying it out.

"McKenna to Coleman, acknowledged Chief and will keep you updated as requested, McKenna out".

Closing that channel, Eli then opened another in order to speak to her team. [McKenna to Alpha team, we have new orders, everyone apart from Rixxen and Lewis are to evacuate immediately and join the other patrols. Rixxen, Lewis you two are to take up a position at the turbo lift and restrict access to this deck]

Responses received, Eli then returned her focus to her friends as Ben updated them about the results from his scans. Now they had a location of the device which was a start but understood why they needed to get as much information as possible before Tegg arrived. As much as she didn't want to think about it, Ben also made a lot of sense with what he said next and why he wanted to slowly open the door manually.

"I'll be right here if you need me" she offered as Ben asked Nathan to help. Standing as close as she dared too without getting in the way as Nathan looked at her for a second opinion. Giving him a non verbal look to say they were doing the right thing. Knowing that it was usually her or Ben being the voice of reason, yet it was a testament to their closeness. Then as the calvary arrived along with Jenny and her friends succeeded in getting the door open. Taking a deep breath as she prepared to do what was needed.

== Tags ==
  • 0

#46 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22104.04 @ 02:12 (02:12 AM)

==Opening doors with GM’s permission==

 

Benjamin couldn’t help but notice the hesitation in Nathan as he tried to get him to come up and help him get the door open. He couldn’t say he didn’t blame him, but he didn’t see any other choices, either. He prepared himself for the inevitable complaint, but was surprised - or maybe relieved - when it didn’t come.

 

Unfortunately, that reprieve was due to the arrival of a small security contingent alongside Jenny. She couldn’t help but see what he was getting ready to do, and she didn’t immediately start berating him which seemed like a win. Nathan noticed too, and shrugged before coming up to help. He couldn’t help grin at his friend as they got in position, he counted down, and they pulled the doors open gently.

 

Another five count passed before Benjamin felt himself physically deflate. He hadn’t realized just how tense he was, but the door opening didn’t actually detonate the bomb, which was a great sign for the moment. He shared a glance with Nathan before nodding and turning to the rest of the group. “Well, that’s step one, I guess,” he said.

 

He pulled out his tricorder and stepped through at the lead of the group. He didn’t go far, though: he maneuvered a bit, trying to get clear shots straight to the back of the room, but stayed near the same wall the entrance was in. He essentially repeated his scans from earlier, attempting to pinpoint where the mine was located, and if he could determine an explosive. As he got more certain of the location, he did advance cautiously. He didn’t want to get too close, but with something that wasn’t entirely in our reality every inch would matter.

 

As he scanned, he also tried to consider how best to tackle this mine. If we could just maneuver it outside the hull, that’d be great, he thought, though considering the state of the engines he didn’t believe that was a possibility, even if the mine weren’t locked in position. If they couldn’t get rid of it, though, they were going to have to somehow make it possible to work on the device.

 

He recalled an incident he read about at the Academy, where a couple of officers had been trapped out-of-phase, and they had to be bombarded with Anyons to be brought back in phase. It was a possibility, but he did recall their statements afterwards of how painful that was and wondered whether that would cause the thing to detonate.

 

Maybe we could phase our EOD guy? That seemed like a terrible idea, as well. He sighed, and brought his attention back to the tricorder. He needed to localize the mine first. Then they could figure out how to get rid of it.

 

==GM Input: Can I find it, and is it easier to figure out what explosive it is now?==


  • 0

#47 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22104.06 @ 02:19 (02:19 AM)

The Antimatter Storage room was long and thin, with the duranium-shelled magnetic containers forming two rows linked by gangways. For history buffs, it was reminiscent of the missile room on an old Earth Submarine or the torpedo bays of the old Daedalus-class cruisers of early Star Fleet.

 

The trained eyes of Ramius and Braggins found the mine before the Tricorder, happily sitting at the far end of the gangway snugly nestled between two storage pods. About two meters in diameter, it was a perfect sphere covered in tiny nodules not unlike an old Earth sea mine. It was oddly transparant, as it was still slightly out of phase in places, which was why the Tricorder still had trouble.

 

In terms of explosive, Elias' Tricorder determined the detonator moments after that of Tegg, who muttered a particularly foul curse in Denobulan that their commbadges were wise not to translate.

 

This was no antimatter device, but something far simpler yet nastier - a small fission bomb surrounded by radioactive material wrapped in a thick casing that, if the scans were right, would not only allow electrons to pass through but would accelerate them as it did so. It was a weapon designed to dose the crew of a passing ship with lethal levels of radiation, and allow a retrieval team to decontaminate and claim the ship as their own.


  • 0

#48 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22104.07 @ 02:36 (02:36 AM)

==...yay?==

 

==Nathan’s actions are by permission/coordination==

 

Benjamin picked his way down the rows of antimatter storage pods carefully, keeping his eyes on his tricorder. He was still having trouble getting an exact location, though he was still certain it was further down, and it was still trying to determine the explosive. For a minute, his mind wandered as he tried to think of ways to boost the power and usefulness of his tricorder, but Nathan pulled him back to the moment with a tap on his shoulder. “Hey, eyes on,” he said, and pointed towards the back of the room, drawing Benjamin’s eyes up.

 

“Oh,” he said, and straightened up from where he’d been unconsciously hunching his way through the room. The mine was actually visible at the end of the room, though it was still translucent. Still out of phase, he thought, if only just. He looked back down at his tricorder, and it still was having issues finding the mine, which made some kind of sense even if it was disappointing. “Well, you couldn’t make it more obviously a mine without a neon sign saying ‘This is a large mine’ in bold red letters, could you?” he muttered to nobody in particular, and wished his tricorder could detect sass. Unfortunately, it’s sass detector worked about as well as trying to detect something that was phased.

 

He heard a muttered curse from the Denobulan EOD tech - something about his fourth wife’s husband? He wasn’t that fluent in Denobulan - just about the same time that his tricorder dinged again. A quick check showed that it had finally determined the explosive, for which he was both grateful and mildly terrified.

 

He reached up to the controls of his rad suit and turned on the Geiger counter built into it. “Umm, ma’am?” he said, looking over his shoulder at Jenny. “Given Mister Tegg’s reaction, I’m assuming my tricorder is reading right. The tricorder reads this as an old-style fission bomb, but it's surrounded by a material designed to make the radiation it throws off even worse and scatter across the target quickly and heavily. This goes off - assuming it doesn’t detonate the antimatter in storage by accident and just kill us that way - and we’d better be ready to evacuate the entire ship immediately or else we all die from the radiation in a matter of minutes.”

 

He sighed, and started to think out loud. “I don’t know precisely how you’d like to try and defuse this,” he said towards the Denobulan, “but if you need to bring it in phase, I can try and set up a containment field and flood the area with anyons; that’s worked before in bringing objects into phase. It’s fairly invasive, though, so it could be risky. I’d also suggest that we could potentially modify the transporter to lock on to the mine and beam it out, though again that could be risky.

 

“However you’d like to proceed,” he continued, looking over at the XO, “I’m at your disposal and ready to help out.” While he wasn’t sure what exactly the best option would be, or if someone else had an even better one up their sleeve, he was a bit relieved that he wasn’t making the decision in a vacuum; there were people to talk the problem through with, even if they were still on a bit of a time crunch.

 

==Tag Jenny==


  • 0

#49 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.07 @ 10:52 (10:52 AM)

As her friends disappeared through the now open doors and into the antimatter storage room. It took almost all of Eliana's resolve to not let any panic or fear interfere with her focus, especially with knowing what awaited them on the other side. Yet she wasn't going to just stay outside and let those closest to her face this danger without her. They were a team and she could hopefully be of some use.

Looking into the storage room for what was the first time, having never been down on this deck before. Eli took in every detail as she then stepped onto the gangway. The interior reminding her of old Earth submarines, a fact that didn't exactly comfort her as she spotted her friends and the others up ahead. Deciding to remain within helping distance but not be in the way, unless called for since Tegg and his team would need space to work. She also made the call to keep Coleman updated as requested as she activated the comm within her rad suit.

"McKenna to Security, the mine has been located, Tegg, his team and Commander Braggins are also on scene. I've moved inside to provide assistance".

There was little that she could do at the moment but at least she was present.

== Tags ==
  • 0

#50 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.09 @ 01:13 (01:13 AM)

There was of feeling of being out of place, for Nathan, as the doors opened and he peered into the storage room. It wasn’t like he hadn’t been in the area before, but it wasn’t exactly a destination that people looked forward to during patrols. Sure, some found solace hanging out in the lower communications array to get away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the ship. But few, if any, intentionally hung out in the Antimatter Storage area. Primarily, because it was generally off-limits to unauthorized personnel. But there was also the issue of it being a peculiar place to feel comfortable in, even on a busy ship. Some people even drew straws, or played roshambo, to determine who would go inside to do the cursory visual sweep along with a more thorough tricorder scan. That was never an issue for Ramius, who would eschew using luck on such a simple task.

 

Would that I could draw straws now.

 

It took only the shortest of moments to see what was out of place in the room. Nuzzled in between a pair of pods, was the device in question. It didn’t seem large compared to the duranium-shelled tanks themselves. Yet, as they walked down the gangway, it became more apparent just what it was that they were dealing with. It was amazing that it hadn’t partially phased itself into one of the storage containers. Though, if it had, there was the potential that none of them would have been around long enough to know, or care, about that fact.

 

Ben was still walking toward the device, when Ramius realized that his eyes were locked on his tricorder. There was a sudden feeling of apprehension that flushed right up into Nathan’s face, wondering if Elias would wander right up to the thing if left unchecked. Carefully, he gave his friend a tap on the shoulder and spoke to him, being sure to gesture toward where the partially phased mine had made its cozy home.

 

“Well, you couldn’t make it more obviously a mine without a neon sign saying ‘This is a large mine’ in bold red letters, could you?”

 

There was a small snort and chuckle from Nathan, who shook his head at the slightly biting remarks from Benjamin. The sound from Tegg brought Ramius back to the reality of it all, and just how crowded the storage room seemed, even if it was generally accommodating. Eliana had made her way in, and fitting the Petty Officer Ordnance Tech, his helpers, and Jenny… well, it was probably best if some of them made room, if not leaving directly.

 

As Elias was speaking to everyone in general, and eventually Jenny specifically, it seemed McKenna was keeping Coleman apprised of the situation at hand too. However, one important piece of information was being left out; if Nathan was hearing everything right, the bomb wasn’t designed to destroy a ship. Instead, it was intended to irradiate, leaving the infrastructure intact but eliminating all the pesky organic things that tended to fight back.

 

Turning about to look at Jenny, he scanned her face to see if she was thinking what he was thinking.

 

“We might get some visitors…” he said.

 

Nathan waited, first to see the Commander’s reaction, and also to give her time to update the Bridge and Coleman. If not, Ramius would be ready to provide the details if she wanted to roll up her sleeves and help with the defusal.

 

== tag Jenny/all ==


  • 0

#51 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.12 @ 20:06 (08:06 PM)

If the first visual cue upon seeing the 'anomaly' wasn't proof enough that it was a mine, the Tricorder readings showing on Tegg's display confirmed it - it was by far the dirtiest and nastiest dirty bomb she had ever come across, designed to eradicate all life in an area and leave it ripe for the taking once the area had been decontaminated. They'd been experimented with as a tactical area-denial weapon on Earth during the late Twentieth Century during the so-called "Cold War" between the Western and Eastern powers, but in the end the weapons had proven so controversial and potentially devastating that none of the nations from which such an attack could be launched had agreed to host a stockpile.

 

And now we have one sitting on top of our fuel supply...

 

The discussion turned to how to defuse the device, followed by Elias assuring her that he'd assist in any way possible while Ramius stated his theory that they might have visitors. Depending who they were dealing with, that was a very real possibility - most humanoid species wouldn't stand a chance against such radiation levels as she expected a detonation to unleash, but there were no doubt plenty of radiation-resistant species out there that were as-yet undiscovered. A Brikar or Tholian would not think twice about walking into a heavily-irradiated area, for example. Fortunately the Brikar were Federation members and the Tholians were half a galaxy away.

 

We hope...

 

"Ultimately if this thing goes off, the only visitors we'll get will be in whatever afterlife we end up in. Radiation or not, even the smallest explosion or containment breach in here would be bad. I don't want any weapons within fifty feet of that thing; Nathan, Eli, that means you either disarm or stay back."

 

As the other officers continued to discuss options, Jenny reported to the Bridge.

 

"Braggins to Crawford, we've located the anomaly. Initial findings suggest it's a Neutron Mine, designed to irradiate and kill any organic matter but leave any physical hardware unaffected. Unfortunately it's sitting in between our Antimatter Tanks, so if we can't defuse it, it won't matter if it's meant to destroy the ship or not."


  • 0

#52 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.13 @ 01:46 (01:46 AM)

"Ultimately if this thing goes off, the only visitors we'll get will be in whatever afterlife we end up in…”

 

Nathan nodded at Jenny’s statement, as a darkly humored sort of chuckle escaped from him at the quip.

 

She’s not wrong. It won’t be an issue we’ll have to deal with… his thoughts didn’t trample over the rest of Jenny’s discussion, as he still listened to her orders. It made sense. To limit any external chances of having something detonate the device, or interfere with it’s defusal, weapons should be removed from the room.

 

With another nod as an acknowledgment to Braggins, Nathan started towards Ben who was his first target. Elias seemed to gladly hand over his phaser, as Ramius considered making a jibe about losing equipment. However, he thought better of it, and just smirked instead.

 

I’m sure he’ll have some idea of my thoughts if he catches the grin.

 

Then, Nathan went around to the rest, grabbing weapons from those who would be staying. After gathering up the extras, Ramius walked carefully back toward the doors of the Storage Room, and called over one of the officers that Eliana had left to guard the entrance.

 

“Keep a handle on these, and don’t let anyone else in with a weapon. Actually, probably best not to have anyone else come in anyway once we start the defusal process unless asked for.”

 

“Yes sir,” the security officer acknowledged, taking the weapons off Nathan’s hands.

 

For a moment, Ramius felt almost bare. Naked. It had been habit for him to carry at least a sidearm during duty patrols, even if they weren’t at General Quarters. It felt right, especially after almost every incident he’d been in since joining up on the Getty. Augments. Kidnapping Klingons. Borg Zombies. It just seemed like the sure bet to always be armed while doing patrols, even if it was almost certainly going to be peaceful.

 

At least the Augment is on our side this time.

 

Ramius’ eyes fell on Jennifer as he walked back into the room. It had felt, at least to Nathan, like decades passed since the last time they had had their chat on Bishtavrath. During that trip, he’d found a key to making peace with what Jenny was, despite the demons that sometimes haunted him in his nightmares. Again, like before, his heart panged with a bit of sorrow for the tiny but powerful woman. It wasn’t pity. Jenny didn’t need pity. And worse, it would have been condescending for Nathan to feel that way. But it was more that he empathized what she had told him, and it greatly affected his view on her. It had brought her into a totally different light than what his initial experience of her had been.

 

It’s been too long since we last spoke though. I really should have a sit down with Jenny again. Her and Tyra always have great perspectives on things. Asil, Ben, or Cera could probably get me some damn good mead. Guess we have to make it through this defusal first, really. Otherwise, it’ll be mead in Valhalla, or Sto’vo’kor, or wherever we end up going.

 

By the time he made it back, the Commander had already finished giving her update to the Bridge. Solemnly, Nathan approached so that both Ben and Jenny could see him.

 

“Ready to assist as needed in the defusal process,” the last bit Nathan said off to the side where Tegg was standing. Even if Ramius wasn’t completely confident in his defusal abilities, especially on such a specialized device, he could at least be an extra pair of strong hands, if needed.

 

 

== tag Jenny/all again ==


  • 0

#53 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.13 @ 07:38 (07:38 AM)

Once she had updated Coleman on what was happening so far, Eli then returned her focus to the situation that was still unfolding before her. Catching what Nathan said about how they might get visitors, didn't come as a surprise to the Blonde. In fact it made perfect sense as why would anyone go to the trouble of catching ships unawares with mines, if someone wasn't going to come investigate their traps.

Of course they didn't know that for certain but that didn't make this any easier, because she doubted that they were just going to sit back and let the mine's creators kill the crew and take the ship. Which in turn doubled their need to get this thing defused, so they could defend the ship.

She couldn't think negatively or about her son or boyfriend and so took another deep breath as Jenny gave her orders. Giving the choice to either disarm or stay back, Eli knew what she wanted to do without giving it a second thought. A thought that seemed to be shared by Nathan as her friend began to collect weapons from those present.

Eli wasn't far behind him as he called over one of her officers. Acknowledging Rixxen as Nathan handed over the weapons and gave him instructions. There was a hint of pride for her team as she did the same, then returned to the storage room. Her mind was clear, her focus reaffirmed and as Jenny finished talking to the Bridge and Nathan approached the others. Eli knew that she wasn't going anywhere unless told to do so and without having to worry about her weapon, she was also an extra pair of hands.

"I'm also ready to assist" she said confidently, she may not have the same experience as Tegg or some of the others but she could be useful in other ways.

== Tags ==
  • 0

#54 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22104.14 @ 12:46 (12:46 PM)

Tegg approached the device, as a trained explosives technician, he should have felt confident in his abilities to analyse and disarm the device before him. Instead, he literally trembled in his boots as he took tentative step after step towards the weapon that would vaporise him and the entire crew in a fraction of an instant if he got it wrong. Raising a trembling hand, he ran the Tricorder over the surface of the mine, the incessant beeping and whirring of the device grating his already frayed nerves.

 

With a clatter, the Tricorder slipped from his fingers and bounced off of the shell of the mine, landing on the floor with a dull crack. Now shaking all over, Tegg stepped back from the explosive muttering to himself in incoherent Denobulan.


  • 0

#55 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22104.15 @ 01:11 (01:11 AM)

Benjamin was too wrapped up in the idea that this was a fission bomb that was phased into his ship to register that visitors to the ship, as mentioned by Nathan, would mean bad news for them. Jenny concurred with his paranoia’s assessment a moment later as she stated, “Ultimately if this thing goes off, the only visitors we’ll get will be in whatever afterlife we end up in.”

 

You can say that again, he thought nervously as he looked around at all the antimatter storage pods. Anything more than a blasting cap going off in this room could destroy the entire ship, which made him agree with the first officer’s order to disarm or stay away from the mine.

 

He handed his pistol to Nathan, who took it with a bit of a smirk. Benjamin squinted at him; this didn’t count as losing equipment, no matter how much Nathan obviously wanted to rib him for it. It only counts if I drop it or it gets stolen. This was a direct order from a superior, and as such was squarely outside of that domain.

 

Once he turned back to the mine, though, the pleasant thoughts dropped away almost instantly. Tegg was approaching the thing, and Benjamin couldn’t help but notice that the Denobulan looked more like he wanted to puke rather than work. It was a sentiment that the engineer could sympathize with completely, but it still wasn’t a good look for the man. He tried to give Tegg some space, but saw that the man’s hands were shaking, and the tricorder’s display was barely readable from the motion.

 

Within moments the device slipped from his hands and bounced from the mine’s shell, while Tegg stepped back and began shaking all over, mumbling to himself in what Benjamin assumed was his native language. Several phrases started sprinting through his head – some in English, some in a variety of other languages, none of them fit for publication – as he pulled the terrified crewman away from the extremely dangerous explosive device. The only words that came through his mouth, though, were “It’s alright, get over here, get away from it” as he tried to calm the man down and passed him back towards the door.

 

Once he was finally away from the mine and off towards the door’s entrance, he bent towards the man’s tricorder. He was about to slide it away from the mine just to clear the space, but thought better of it. His is a security model, he thought, and may help me more than mine for defusing this thing. Instead, he picked it up and holstered his own.

 

He stood back up and looked into the mine itself. He started scanning it – both with the tricorder and visually – so he could try and figure out where to begin. “If it’s phased in enough for the tricorder to bounce,” he reasoned aloud, “we likely don’t need to do the anyon bombardment.” He rubbed at his chin and moved around the device slowly – trying to maintain some distance, but getting close enough to see what he needed to. “That was to bring it in phase close enough to interact, after all.”

 

He sighed and looked at Jenny. “This… this isn’t going to be easy, and that would be if we actually had our EOD man here, rather than in a heap back there.” He still felt bad for the guy, but there were more immediate problems. “I still feel beaming it out is our best option, but without knowing how this device was supposed to trigger, I can’t guarantee that it won’t just detonate once we lock on to it.”

 

He kept scanning with both the tricorder and his eyes, trying to discern what the trigger mechanism would be and where. “If we want to try and disarm it, we’re going to need more time.”

 

==Tag Jenny==

 

==GM Input: Can I find the trigger mechanism? And can I find a way into the mine's casing if we want to actually work on the thing?==


  • 0

#56 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.16 @ 04:25 (04:25 AM)

Hearing Eliana come back to the group, Nathan gave an absent minded nod to her statement, and awaited for Tegg to step up. The Denobulan was a crusty sort of fellow even at the best of times, but there was a feeling of appreciation that washed over Ramius’ thoughts. That was, until he took a good look at the EOD tech. Immediately, Nathan felt like something was off about him. The way Tegg took his steps toward the device. The way he hesitated just getting his tricorder out in front of him. It wouldn’t be surprising to Nathan of the Denobulan were perspiring to the point of creating his own tropical atmosphere in his suit.

 

Denobulans do sweat, right?

 

Either way, it didn’t look like good news for anyone involved. Once the Tricorder dropped to the floor, Nathan’s heart instantly sank. It was beginning to feel more like a rollercoaster ride with the ups and downs they were all experiencing. Most everyone took a turn ferrying Tegg away from the mine, starting with Ben, and then going down the line; it wouldn’t do for someone as jumpy as the Denobulan had just become, to be standing next to an enhanced radiation bomb.

 

Nathan let out a sigh, and watched as Ben picked up the tricorder from the ground. Mirroring his friend, Ramius took out his own tricorder again, and began to do some scanning as well. They both were likely to uncover the same information, but being from two different fields, they might interpret the information differently. Which would be a boon when it came to figuring out the contraption as a whole. Even during the Nuclear Era of Earth’s history, the physics behind a fission-fusion device were the same. But each nation approached the creation of the weapon differently with sometimes efficient, elegant, or just simply brutish designs. Thankfully, there were only so many ways to make such significant weapons work, and Ramius hoped it would be one that was recognizable.

 

Unlike before, when watching Tegg approach the device, Nathan felt no real nervousness as he got as close as the Denobulan had; while being careful to still give Elias room to work. Somehow, despite things being dire, it didn’t seem as bad as being stuck in tunnel system with revenants chasing them. Or dropping down a hatch and coming face-to-face with a deranged genetic experiment. In fact, it felt almost serene.

 

As Ben spoke about the anyon bombardment, Nathan again nodded in agreement, all while watching the Engineer’s movements closely and backing off as needed to give his friend space. Then, taking a step back, Ramius continued his scans both visually and with his tricorder; looking for where they might find access to the internals of the device. If there was a panel, they’d have to check it for anti-handling sensors or devices.

 

That’s the real question I suppose. Is this thing using more primitive technology, or are we looking at some modern kind of neutron bomb?

 

Switching to a different detection mode on his tricorder, he tried to determine what elements were within. High explosives were generally fairly easy to detect, as their chemicals gave off a certain ‘scent’ detectable to a tricorder. In that past, even dogs were used. If it was an explosive implosion-type device, that would give them some idea of what the fusing might be. Then there were the harder, more advanced ignition types to detect, like something that was laser-triggered or catalyzed through antimatter.

 

There is already a bunch of antimatter in the room. Might not be able to get a clear reading from the device if that last type is the case.

 

 “This… this isn’t going to be easy…” he heard Elias speak up, causing Nathan to pause what he was doing for a moment and look up to the gathered group.

 

He listened for a few moments, and then did another scan, looking for hardware within the mine that might be a small computer system. If it was an advanced enough design, there should be a control device with parameter recognition for when to phase the mine out, or to keep it from exploding too early, or a friend-or-foe discriminator, and more.

 

 

== GM Input: Adding to Elias’ above… High Explosives detected? Access panel anywhere visible or detected via tricorder? Any evidence of an onboard computer system that could be accessed remotely? Lastly, anything else like anti-tamper devices detectable? ==


  • 0

#57 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.16 @ 14:10 (02:10 PM)

Jenny swore under her breath as Tegg began to tremble, the Tricorder dropping from his hands as he began to gingerly step away from the device. Elias pulled him further away, whispering something about it being ok as he tried to calm the trembling Denobulan. It wasn't ok, the man was their explosives expert and had gone to pieces at the mere sight of the device; Jenny desperately wanted to hit the man, to slam him against the wall and yell that he was risking over six hundred lives with his cowardice, lives that included children. Now, however, wasn't the time to do any of that - no matter how badly she wanted to.

 

The mine was the priority, Tegg could be dealt with later.

 

Gritting her teeth and pushing past the sobbing Denobulan with more force than was reasonably necessary to get a better look at the weapon which towered over her by over a foot; if any access point was on top, whoever it was who was going up there would need a boost. Elias was speaking about no longer needing an Anyon bombardment to phase the mine, and Jenny nodded; if the mine was this solid, then chances are the internals were also solid, but that was by no means guaranteed.

 

"Keep it on standby, just in case."

 

While Elias and Ramius scanned the device, Jenny moved around it; she was specifically looking for any visual signs that might tell her how old the mine was, the condition it was in, and even maybe some sign as to who made it. Her Tricorder was out as well, but without the specialised detection equipment built into the Engineering and Security devices, she wasn't expecting much. Best case scenario, it translated any markings she came across...

 

==GM Input: Does Jenny find any markings, any sign that the mine might belong to someone, etc?==


  • 0

#58 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.16 @ 16:48 (04:48 PM)

Eliana would be lying if she wasn't holding her breath slightly as Tegg approached the device. Not being envious of the technician one iota at the mammoth task that awaited him and whilst she hadn't had many interactions with him, had never wanted someone to succeed as much as she did now. However it didn't node well for any of them, when Tegg appeared to be trembling which was never a good sign. Yes this was something utterly terrifying in its purpose but surely there had to be some confidence in his own abilities.

Maybe it was their confidence him or maybe the situation itself that had triggered this reaction to him, or perhaps he wasn't as sure as they had been led to believe. Whatever the reason seeing him tremble and lose his nerve wasn't reassuring, especially when the tricorder slipped from his fingers and bounced off of the mine. If this was the way that they were going to die then she would definitely come back and haunt Tegg for being completely useless.

A sentiment that was no doubt shared by the others as Eli tried not to curse at the Denobulan before Ben guided him out of the way to calm down. Nerves were bound to be on edge and the whole thing was extremely tense but with cooler heads taking over maybe this could be salvaged before it was too late. With Nathan joining Ben in scanning the mine after the CE made his assessment. Eli had a feeling that it wasn't going to be easy as Jenny pushed past Tegg with force and spoke to Ben. Not that she blamed the FO as she also took out a tricorder and began scanning.

There was little that she could add that wasn't already being done and with three people within close distance. She didn't want to get in the way and decided to wait for information and further orders, no matter what that involved.
  • 0

#59 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22104.19 @ 13:21 (01:21 PM)

Thanks to the mine's semi-phased status, there was no way of knowing exactly what kind of trigger mechanism or explosive would detonate the device unless they could access the inside of the mine. Given the sheer size of the mine, it would be reasonable to assume there was a fair amount of explosive to generate the required force. The closest the Tricorder could ascertain was some kind of antimatter charge designed to instantly annihilate itself and scatter the radioactive material over as great a space as possible.

 

There were several small access points, no larger than Elias' hand, which served no real purpose. A larger access panel sat on top of the mine, tilted slightly at an angle thanks to the spherical nature of the weapon. This panel was a half-meter in diameter, and looked to be the primary access to the weapon's internals.

 

There were some signs of scuffed markings around the edge of the weapon which the Tricorder struggled to translate initially, but as Braggins completed her circuit and scanned all of the markings in, the Tricorder beeped: it matched what was known of the Vaadwuar language, a warrior civilisation thought to be long-dead but accidentally awoken from stasis by the crew of Voyager back in the 2370s.


  • 0

#60 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.20 @ 23:04 (11:04 PM)

With the mine still not brought into full phase, the tricorder was having difficulty completing scans of the device. It was frustrating, but there was a glimmer of hope when Nathan detected something like an antimatter catalyst within. Whether or not it was the actual initiator was yet to be seen. But as Ramius considered things, the more he got comfortable with the fact that the mine was still out of phase.

 

Given what we’ve seen so far here, it might make sense that it being out of phase is the reason why it hasn’t detonated yet. Something went wrong and glitched maybe? After all, would good would a bunch of radiation do if it was out of phase? Or, at least, out of variance enough to not affect our quantum level. The other mine is obliterated, along with the deflector dish, right? Makes sense enough.

 

“There is an antimatter charge within the device,” Nathan said aloud with volume enough for everyone to hear, but not necessarily startle anyone.

 

As they continued looking around, most of the rest of the access points seemed far too small to provide much help. Regardless, Nathan mapped out where they were on the tricorder, keeping notes about size and shape in case they needed to reference it in the future; specifically in case that was where some minor components were housed. It wasn’t until the initial survey was completed that Ramius scanned upwards enough with both tricorder and eyes to see where the main hatch was.

 

“Access panel at the top there Commander,” he said specifically to Braggins, who had gone completely around to facilitate a three-hundred and sixty degree look of the device, but again loud enough for all to hear.

 

It bothered Nathan that the primary panel it was at the top of the mine. It meant that someone would have to get hoisted up somehow to access it properly. As he closed in to inspect it further, it didn’t seem like it was a very large either, which also limited who (and probably what equipment) would be able to get in there to fiddle with the delicate circuitry beneath.

 

Might not be me going in there, his brow furrowed.

 

“Carefully bring an Ordnance Defusal Kit over to the side there,” he said to one of the assistants that came with Tegg, “where there is the easiest access to the primary panel.”

 

With that done, Nathan moved himself into a position to be able to talk to Jenny, and then also relay orders out from behind the mine.

 

“Looks like someone is gonna need a lift up to get to the main panel. I didn’t get a great look at it, but it might be half a meter or so wide. Did you find anything?”

 

 

== tag Jenny/all ==


  • 0

#61 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.21 @ 08:46 (08:46 AM)

Stuck between her thoughts and the need to be useful, Eliana knew that she had to exercise patience, especially with her friends taking over from Tegg. Yes she might just be stood there observing for the moment until they finished with scans and learning as much as possible about the mine, that could so easily bring about their demise. However there was no alternative, not that she had even considered one. She would be here until this thing was diffused regardless of what her involvement would be.

When Nathan then spoke aloud and informed them about the antimatter charge within the mine. Eli certainly gained some further understanding about it as he then spoke to Jenny directly and told her where the access panel was. Of course it had to be on the top rather than somewhere more reachable which only seemed to make this more complicated. Then again why should she be surprised by that considering everything that they knew so far.

As instructions were given in regards to the ordnance defusal kit. Eli realised that someone was going to have to get on top of this thing if they were to have any chance in stopping it from detonating. A realisation that was shared as she pondered what to do. She may only have the basics but if she was the one to go up there then with some guidance and teamwork, she should be able to get the job done.

Besides she wasn't the only one at risk and decided to speak up, offering herself as a potential volunteer. " If you need someone to access that panel, then I volunteer. Although you're going to have to give me some help once I get up there". At least she was honest yet steadfast with her offer.

== Tag all ==
  • 0

#62 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22104.25 @ 22:09 (10:09 PM)

Well, dammit, Benjamin thought as he took in some more details of the mine. There were a half-dozen access points around the device, but only one of them that appeared to be useful. And of course it's on top of the blasted thing. He winced at his own thoughts there, reconsidering the mild curse he used. Damned thing, he corrected himself.

 

"There is an antimatter charge within the device," Nathan said as he continued to consult his tricorder.

 

"Oh good," Benjamin found himself saying before he could catch it. "So we'll die even faster if this thing goes off."

 

He bit his tongue - lightly, but literally - after he finished. You're an officer, he scolded himself. Keep the morbid jokes inside, no matter how awful the situation is. As Nathan informed Jenny of the upper panel, Benjamin kept looking around the room for something he knew was there. He also heard Nathan have the EOD kit brought up, and Eli volunteer to get in the thing to start working. Eventually, though, his eyes found what he wanted and beelined to it.

 

"The one good thing about the mine being down here in storage," he said aloud as he brought the items back, "is that we keep a couple of short ladders down here so we can work on the pods up top if needed." He set the ladders up as close to the mine as he dared, and scaled one. He was still having to lean out to get to the hatch, but at least he was up on a level with it. It'd be easier to get in to everything from there. He came back down and got into his engineering kit. "Once we can get the panel off - and carefully - we can see more of what we're dealing with. Someone give me a hand?"

 

He pulled out a couple of hyperspanners and got back up top, setting one on the other ladder for whoever wanted to help. Before they got started, he got the tricorder back out and scanned the entire hatch area again, trying his best to locate any traps that might've been set to prevent them from doing exactly what they were trying to do. With the strange tech disparity the device presented, he wasn't entirely sure that they'd find any, but he needed to be sure. Not that I'd know if I missed one, he thought and deliberately didn't say. At least for long.

 

As he continued his search, he thought for a moment about the weird device he was hovering over. The mine itself looked like something that should be in an ocean, not in space. The device itself was barbaric and fairly primitive, though the radiation spreader was fairly ingenious. And the fact that it still had an antimatter charge in it was... was concerning. And then it was out of phase with normal matter until it detected a ship? It was like a greatest hits parade of mine tech through the ages, all jammed into one gigantic package. And the fact that this one had failed to go off on contact said that it was possible this wasn't exactly an efficient weapon, either.

 

I don't know if whoever made this just had that schizophrenic of technology, he thought, or if this was cobbled together from spare parts. Not that the skill of the crafter meant a whole lot. After all, they would be just as dead either way.

 

His scan complete and finding nothing, Benjamin nodded at his partner and the two began to loosen the bolts holding the panel in place. They came off relatively easily - though one of them did try to get hung up, but they were able to slowly work it off - and the panel was slid slowly to the floor beside them. Once it was clear, the chief engineer began to scan the internals, trying to make a full map of what they were looking at so they could plan their way forward.

 

==GM Input: Can I find the trigger device and disable it? Or maybe find the explosives themselves and render them safe for removal?==


  • 0

#63 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22104.26 @ 12:55 (12:55 PM)

With the hatch removed, the insides of the mine were exposed. The shell was incredibly thick, the dense and radioactive material making up the majority of the device. The antimatter detonator was barely visible at the bottom of the shaft revealed by the hatch. Almost immediately, Elias' tricorder was snatched from his hand by a powerful magnetic force and came into contact with the inside of the hatch with a loud "clang".

 

The detonation mechanism was also visible, but was translucent in places. Several key components appeared to remain see-through, as though the phase-shifter had malfunctioned and prevented detonation occurring.

 

Disconnecting the antimatter charge from the detonator would be a relatively simple task while the detonator itself was inert, but removing it was an entirely different prospect; the insides of the mine were obviously heavily magnetised, and even the slightest knock risked rupturing the flask and detonating the mine - whoever would be tasked with the device's removal would need steady hands and nerves of steel.


  • 0

#64 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.27 @ 14:23 (02:23 PM)

Eliana half expected to be told that her limited skills would needed and that she was to remain where she was and let someone else access the panel. It was difficult to pinpoint why she had thought that way but considering the alternatives and the need to be useful rather than just be a spectator, seemed to override any negativity that she might of briefly experienced. Although she wasn't that caught up in her mind, to hear Ben's response to Nathan.

Dark or ill timed joke was taken for what it was and besides warranted considering what they were facing. However once that moment was over and Ben brought their attention to the short ladders and the explanation that he gave. It began to make sense as to why he had done so. Watching as he scaled one of the ladders and that's when she made another quick decision when he asked for someone to give him a hand. Understanding clearly why this was a two person job.

" I'll give you a hand" she said stepping towards the other ladder before anyone could change her mind. Becoming determined with each careful step, whilst picking up and holding the hyperspanner firmly so as not to drop it. Once at the top, Eli then waited for the signal as Ben completed his scan. Then focusing on the bolts, she loosened those on her side, before they carefully and slowly removed it after a couple of potential hiccups. Seeing inside it for the first time didn't leave her impressed or cooing over the workmanship. Instead it was another challenge in itself, especially when it decided that it liked Ben's tricorder.

Wincing at the clanging noise that it made as it was pulled from him. Not only did they have to disarm this thing but it had become even trickier thanks to it being magnetised. " Must be some kind of deterrent which makes this more difficult" she said to Ben. " Is there something we can do to interrupt the magnet?, to give us a better chance?".

It might of been a terrible idea to even mention it but Eli was just trying to think of options, especially if they suffered another setback and death greeted them before they had chance to even think about it.

== Tags ==
  • 0

#65 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22104.28 @ 16:46 (04:46 PM)

Benjamin sighed with relief as he and Eli got the hatch removed. He started trying to scan the interior, only to be shocked as the tricorder flew out of his hands and attached itself to the hatch's interior with a loud CLAAANNNGGGG which reverberated around the room.

 

Several curses escaped his lips, in several languages - including some Andorian he was learning from Ori - as he held his hand. A quick check showed he wasn't injured, but the speed at which the tricorder got taken from him felt like it had burned his hand. He got himself under control and sat back - still holding his hand - and took a breath. "What the hell," he managed to say calmly to Eli. "Guess there's our booby trap."

 

Eli seemed to be in agreement. "Must be some kind of deterrent which makes this more difficult," she said. "Is there something we can do to interrupt the magnet, to give us a better chance?"

 

Benjamin rubbed his hand and looked at the mine, and then leaned over and looked down the shaft. The charge and radiation enhancer loomed large through the mine, easily taking up the majority of the space inside. However, they did appear to have at least picked the right hatch, because he could see both the detonator and the antimatter charge, all the way at the bottom of the shaft. It looked like disabling the charge would be relatively simple. However, the detonator itself appeared to be still partially phased. Guess this is what happens when you use schizo tech like this, he thought. Likely why the thing didn't go off correctly, too.

 

He leaned back and turned to talk to everyone. "I don't see anything obviously controlling the magnetism; it's likely a property of the mine's shell, and there's not much we can do about it," he said. "The phase shifter is broken and keeping the detonator out of sync, but we can reach the antimatter charge at the bottom and disconnect it, I think. Removing the charge, though, is gonna be rough with all the magnetism going on." He looked back down the shaft for a second, trying to see if any of the extra hatches came out close to the charge, though it was a forlorn hope.

 

"We may be able to get some transport enhancers set up and get a lock on the charge once we get it disconnected," he said, "but if that doesn't work we'll need someone with steadier hands than mine to pull that thing out of there. Je-" he started, and cut himself off. "Commander, you want to take a look and see if I missed something?" He descended the ladder to give the first officer space to look into the mine's interior, while he moved back towards the doorway.

 

"Elias to DC4," he said, betting that that team was closest to his position, "bring a set of pattern enhancers down to Antimatter storage. Do not enter the room, just come to the door and let me know when you're here." He got an acknowledgement, and stood by to wait and see what Jenny thought of the situation.

 

==Tag Jenny==

==GM: Off chance that a hatch is next to the charge?==


  • 0

#66 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.28 @ 17:09 (05:09 PM)

==Apologies for the delay, I actually missed Ramius' tag, it seems!==

 

Jenny frowned as the Tricorder translated the markings she'd found, identifying them as those belonging to a race known as the Vaadwuar. From the briefings Jenny had attended and her reviews of the surviving Voyager logs, the Vaadwuar had been a warrior species that had basically owned the Delta Quadrant for a time; "lesser species" had banded together to defeat them, and it had seemed that they had been eradicated for centuries until Voyager encountered the last remnants of their species, frozen in stasis, and accidentally awoken them. 

 

Supersoldiers frozen in time, reawakened to reap their vengeance on the galaxy. This was Janeway's Botany Bay.

 

When Nathan approached, Jenny showed him the results of her scan but was distracted by a loud clang. Returning to the front of the mine, Jenny looked up at McKenna and Elias as they discussed an apparent booby-trap designed to prevent the easy extraction of any of the mine's internal components and explained that the mine had probably malfunctioned. 

 

"That makes sense, this mine is ancient. If this was created towards the end of a war, a war that the creators were losing, it stands to reason their quality control might not be on point. That's both good for us, because it hasn't gone off, and bad for us because we have no idea what else might go wrong."

 

With the invite to take a peek for herself, Jenny scaled the ladder and stood beside McKenna. Being shorter than anyone else in the room, Jenny had to stand on the tips of her toes to look into the mine itself, and if she wanted to actually work on the device she would need a longer ladder or to climb onto the device itself and let her legs dangle free in a less-than-professional manner. 

 

"Electromagnetic collar, huh? It's probably a property of the mine itself, designed to aid in containment of the antimatter charge; the fact that it prevents tampering is a handy benefit."

 

Turning to face McKenna, Jenny continued.

 

"Get in contact with the Captain, tell her this weapon is of a Vaadwuar design and has a malfunctioning phase shifter. We have an idea of how to make it safe, but are proceeding with caution."

 

Peering back into the mine, Jenny reached in with the full length of her arm to test just how far she could reach - her arms were thinner than those of everyone else present, and her grip steadier, but not for the first time, her vertically-challenged nature was causing issues.

 

With all the genetic modifications they gave me, they couldn't give me another six inches...


  • 0

#67 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.29 @ 01:42 (01:42 AM)

"Oh good. So we'll die even faster if this thing goes off."

 

There was another quiet snort from Nathan at hearing Ben speak his mind again. Though it did raise an eyebrow with Ramius. Normally, his friend was the collected sort, and rarely spoke with as much morbid humor or sarcasm as was being displayed in those moments in the Antimatter Storage Bay. Something was up, but what it was, the young security officer wasn’t entirely sure. With all the work that Elias was putting into keeping the ship running, it was possible that it was just a reaction to damage happening to ‘his baby’.

 

Which, I’m fairly sure Tyra or Jenny would argue the Artemis is their baby first. That could be an interesting little conversation to listen to over a drink, but only if they ended up disagreeing.

 

Eliana broke his train of thought by offering up to access the panel, and Nathan nodded in response, as he was still waiting on Jenny to look up from whatever tricorder data that she had managed to capture. Of all the people on the crew, Ramius found Braggins to be the hardest person in a room to read. He did consider that they had ‘history’, which might confuse and bias some of his ability to figure her out. However, Nathan did feel that Jenny was just an aloof sort of personality. Not only that, but there seemed to be a part of her that didn’t like to get pinned down into some kind of classification. There was a lot to be said about that in particular, but nothing that Nathan had ever been able to approach her about.

 

I should have spent more time trying to do that when we were on Bishtavrath, instead of getting ridiculously drunk. Or Colorado, instead of going through a cyclone of self-pity.

 

Finally, she did look up and showed him what she had found, before a loud clang had them both turning their heads. However, as Jenny went to the mine, Nathan stayed put. He was aware of the Vaadwuar, but was far from an expert. So, seeing the markings and symbols that Jenny had uncovered interested him. While reviewing the information, he did continue listening as Jenny spoke more to what she knew about the creators and the device itself. If it were true, that the mine was ancient, then a lot more made sense – including why the Artemis and her crew weren’t just atoms strewn about the Delta Quadrant.

 

After overhearing more discussion and the orders given to Eliana, Nathan shifted his focus from the tricorder and found a home for it that wasn’t near the mine. Then, he came up to the ladder where Jennifer was situated, before looking up from the bottom rung at her.

 

Good thing we didn't draw sticks to go in the mine. Enh, doesn't matter, looks like I'll be holding the short stick anyway.

 

“Would you like an assist Commander?” he said with a grin.

 

== tag Jenny ==


Edited by Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius, Star Date 22104.29 @ 01:43 (01:43 AM).

  • 0

#68 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.29 @ 07:59 (07:59 AM)

The curses that spewed from Ben following the near miss with the insides of the mine, had Eli silently making a note to get her friend to teach her them, if they survived this. Admiring the Engineer's ability to speak so calmly so soon after that curse worthy experience as he agreed with her about the newly discovered extra security within. Of course that brought her back to the question that she had asked, knowing it was probably a long shot and likely a no go. Still it had been better than saying nothing as Ben then looked inside the mine's innards.

Following his lead to peer inside as he then spoke to everyone present. Appreciating her friend's knowledge as he gave his explanation about what he was seeing and how nothing could really be done about the magnetism. As frustrating as that was, she knew that neither of them would give up as Ben then offered up a suggestion regarding the use of transport enhancers. He was the expert and it at least gave them another solution as he then spoke to Jenny before descending the ladder and making a call to one of his teams.

When Jenny then answered and told them what she had learned about the mine. It came as no surprise to Eli to hear about its creation, understanding what was being said as Jenny then scaled the ladder that Ben had just descended. Feeling just a little out of her depth as the FO commented about an electromagnetic collar and how the preventative measure might be a handy benefit. Eli took her word at that and for a moment wished she had expanded on her basic knowledge.

There was no point with the what ifs as Jenny gave her an order to contact the Captain and she quickly acknowledged it. " On it Commander" she replied and carefully descended her own ladder. Reaching the bottom without causing any further clangs as Nathan went over to Jenny and asked if she needed an assist.

Leaving the group by moving back to where she had initially stood to give people plenty of room. Eli activated her comm and delivered Jenny's update to the Bridge.

" McKenna to Captain Crawford, we've discovered that the weapon is of Vaadwuar design and has a malfunctioning phase shifter. We have an idea of how to make it safe but are proceeding with caution".

Message delivered, Eli remained where she was with the channel still open.

== Tags ==
  • 0

#69 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22104.30 @ 12:32 (12:32 PM)

==Elias==

 

Elias couldn't find a hatch any closer to the charge than the main access point he had already opened. If he were to try and open one of the smaller hatches, he would find what appeared to be some kind of long metal armature that telescoped out from the mine. Whether this was some kind of secondary detonator or was instead used to attach mines to things like asteroids to create a larger area-denial weapon would remain a mystery until the weapon could be disabled.

 

==Braggins==

 

Being genetically cursed with short arms and legs, Braggins could not quite reach the charge. With a boost from a friendly helper, she might be able to get her fingers around it with sufficient grip to pull it free, but who would be brave enough to put their person in close proximity to hers?


  • 0

#70 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted Star Date 22104.30 @ 23:58 (11:58 PM)

[Coleman to McKenna. Status update if you are free and clear from working on the device.]

 

== just going to add a little to Eliana's communication tasking ;) ==


  • 0

#71 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.01 @ 22:16 (10:16 PM)

Benjamin sighed as he heard a beep at the door behind him. Evidently the damage control team had been able to get what he needed quickly, which always made him happy. They may deserve a bit of time off later this week, he thought, assuming we all survive this.

 

He turned and opened the door, only to stand there for a moment in shock. His jaw worked for a second before he could actually say anything. “Kate,” he finally managed, “you’re not on team four.”

 

“I know,” the white-haired Whitby said, hefting the transport enhancers in her arms, “but I was right beside them and told them I’d take care of it.”

 

“So you’re just going to leave your team leaderless, then?” he said, his brow furrowing as he felt his artificial eye starting to twitch.

 

“No, no,” she said quickly. “Ori is coordinating all the teams, and mine is working hard on the tertiary control links, still trying to assess damage. They can work on that for a few minutes without me.”

 

Benjamin continued to give her a bit of a glare, but took the enhancers before she dropped them. “Well, thanks for bringing these so quickly,” he said at last, and turned to go back in.

 

“Everything going okay?” she asked before he could get the door closed. And the shoe drops, he thought. He’d thought she wouldn’t be able to leave the crisis in the storage room alone, given that both he and Nathan were inside, though he’d hoped she would be busy enough to not be able to worry about it. Unfortunately, that plan had apparently fallen through.

 

“It’s going okay,” he said, remaining noncommittal. “It’s still dangerous and on edge, so please, get back to your team.” He saw her trying to argue, but the door closed in her face before she could. His eye twitched some more as he felt bad about cutting her off like that. She’s safer further away, he thought, and let that thought comfort him somewhat. If this went off and somehow didn’t destroy the ship, at least most of his team wouldn’t be involved.

 

Yeah, just you and the rest of the group in here. He sighed, hefted the transport enhancers, and stepped over the still-quivering Denobulan EOD guy as he went back towards the mine itself.

 

He set down the case a dozen or so feet from the mine, opening it up and grabbing out the first of the enhancers. They weren’t terribly difficult to set up; the harder part was maneuvering around the mine to get to where he needed to be. Two went essentially against the back wall, while the last had to be placed as close as physically possible to a line of storage containers heading back towards the door. He clicked each one on as he set them up, and then went back to the case to get their control padd.

 

“Alright,” he said aloud to the group as he started tapping controls. “I’m getting the transport enhancers set up now. I can slave the transporter controls proper to the padd, too, so once you guys can get the charge disconnected I can see about getting a lock.”

 

==Tag Jenny, Nathan, and Eli. Anyone want to give the Commander a hand?==


  • 0

#72 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.01 @ 23:21 (11:21 PM)

Jenny grunted as her fingers brushed the top of the antimatter charge but was unable to find purchase on the object. She needed a boost, undignified though it may be, and there was only one person with the team that had the physical strength to actually do what needed to be done while preventing her from falling into the mine. Unfortunately, that was Ramius, although he alone knew the full danger of dropping her; however hilarious it might seem to others. 

 

"I need a boost, I can't reach the charge."

 

With Nathan very carefully giving Jenny the leg up she needed, and hopefully without thought of copping a feel while she was busy, Jenny wrapped her hand around the clamps holding the container in place and removed them one by one. With that taken care of, she very carefully began to ease the surprisingly-heavy flask towards the top of the device, with Nathan gently lowering her back to the top of the ladder as she did so. At the last moment, as the container crossed the electromagnetic field generated around the hatch, Jenny felt the tug of the magnet and wrapped her other hand around the device - cushioning it as it slammed into the opposite side of the hatch as Elias' tricorder. Gritting her teeth against the sharp pain and then dull throbbing in her bones as she gingerly slipped the flask up and out.

 

"McKenna, bring me that containment capsule. Nathan, grab me a medkit will you?"

 

The capsule was little more than a box with a magnetic field generator, designed to suspend small amounts of antimatter for testing while the warp core was being primed for use. It would also hold the flask and provide a secondary safeguard in case the original container breached after however many millenia floating in space, slowly decaying with every passing decade. Flask now safely in the container, Jenny gave the nod to Elias to transport the mine as far away as he could. The ship was, hopefully, safe again and they could now begin hunting for a safe place to repair the damage the Artemis had sustained.

 

Sitting on the ladder she had used, Jenny wrapped a bandage around the bruised hand; she'd felt at least one bone fracture, but it wasn't worth the risk visiting Sickbay to get it treated. Besides, the pain was gone and would heal naturally in a day or so thanks to her peculiar genetics. Flexing her fingers caused her to wince briefly as stress was exerted on the damaged area of her hand, but minor discomfort was manageable - she had to get back to the Bridge, but first she would give her daughter a hug, and be glad that the little one was blissfully unaware how close to oblivion they had all come...


  • 0

#73 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.02 @ 16:28 (04:28 PM)

[Coleman to McKenna. Status update if you are free and clear from working on the device.]

The honey tones of Chief Coleman cut through Eliana's current thought process and his timing couldn't of been more perfect. With the update already delivered to the Bridge, Coleman had been her next port of call and now she could give him the same update. However before she could begin to answer, Ben returned to the area around the mine with the transport enhancers and started to set them up, after receiving them from Whitby. Not that Eli had listened to the brief conversation between the engineers, knowing how much of a difficult and potentially terrifying situation that they were in.

Thankful that she was here with friends and could only imagine Liam's reaction once he found out about all of this and how close she had come to death. Aware of Coleman waiting and Ben ready to transport once the charge was disconnected. Eli held off as Nathan helped Jenny to reach into the mine to do just that. Everything seemed to slow down, almost like she was holding her breath which in fact she was, before being asked to bring Jenny the containment capsule. Eli didn't waste any time as she brought the capsule over to the FO and the charge was put inside of it. Relief then flushed through her as the nod was given for Ben to transport it away from the ship.

Leaving Jenny to tend to the wound that she received, Eli stepped back so she could finally update the Chief. "Apologies for the delay Chief, however I can now tell you that the mine has successfully been disarmed. Turns out it was of Vaadwuar design and had a malfunctioning phase shifter which worked to our advantage. I'll return to the complex, once we've finished here".

== Tags ==
  • 0

#74 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.02 @ 18:10 (06:10 PM)

Things had gone… surprisingly well. Nathan had found himself a spot to sit after having handed the Med Kit over to Jenny. Part of him was going to tell her she should get checked out in Sickbay, but it would be wasted air from his lungs. That was why she wanted the Kit in the first place. He shook his head as he considered her stubbornness, while another part of him considered whether that very trait was something all good Star Fleet Officers had.

 

If I take a look at everyone who has more than three gold pips onboard… a smirk jumped onto his lips, and Nathan shook his head again. He knew it wouldn’t do well for him to dwell on that too much.

 

Overhearing Eli giving the Chief an update, he let a sigh out that he hadn’t realized he’d been holding. It wasn’t his usual overburdened sort of sigh, but one that was full of relief. They’d managed to avert catastrophic disaster without any of them getting significantly injured. As he thought more on it, it was probably the cleanest operation that dealt with danger in the history of the Artemis. If that wasn’t a situation that called for celebration, than what would be?

 

Too bad there is way more to do. It would have been nice to go out for a round of drinks after this.

 

Thinking more on it, his best friend was going to be up to his neck in repair duties for the foreseeable future. Jenny would also likely be busy directing teams, taking reports, or working with the Bridge team on figuring out what exactly had happened. That left Eli and himself, who would probably be assisting damage control parties with heavy lifting.

 

I think I’m going to ask Coleman for full EOD training too. I don’t know what the likelihood of this ever happening again is, but it won’t hurt to have it. I mean, I’ve been in a couple of circumstances now where better explosives training would have been nice to have…

 

“Once things are back to normal,” he paused, “or as back to normal as things ever get around here, we should all grab a drink.”

Nathan’s neck craned up, and he took time to look at each person in turn: Ben, Eli, and Jenny, with a smile.

 

== tags ==


  • 0

#75 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.02 @ 21:34 (09:34 PM)

Benjamin let out a breath he hadn't known he was holding as the mine disappeared into the transporter beam. After nearly losing control of his bowels when the charge Jenny was removing slammed into the hatch beside the tricorder he had lost there, he was just glad that the damn thing was gone. Of all the places for the thing to materialize, it had to choose quite possibly the worst one, he thought as he started tearing down the transport enhancers.

 

As he got the three devices deactivated and readied to go back into storage, he inspected the area the mine had been in for damage, which fortunately appeared to be light. The mine had materialized basically inside the room, and had settled to the floor. The spike protrusions had scarred and poked holes in the floor and the wall, but it didn't look like they had actually hit anything vital, and they had definitely missed the antimatter storage. Of course, he'd have to get a team in here to inspect and be sure, but for now he could breathe a bit easier. He hit his commbadge and called for the team on duty down here to come on back and make a full inspection, before opening a different channel to the engineering bay proper.

 

"Sanderson, this is Elias," he said. "We're all resolved down here; what's our status otherwise?"

 

[Good to hear, sir,] Bill said. [We've got thrusters and impulse back up, and are working on the warp engine. I didn't want to risk powering her up until you guys were done down there.] It was a smart move, though it had wound up being unnecessary - but Benjamin hadn't actually commed engineering to tell them that, so he was glad the precaution had been taken. [Still working on the deflector,] he continued. [The area has been mostly decontaminated, and the hull breach has been patched; we'll want to replace it once we can get back to the Scott. As for the deflector proper... I don't have much in the way of news, good or bad. Primary, secondary, and tertiary connections are all shot and will need to be replaced. Until we can get power down to it, we still can't assess the deflector mechanisms, but should be there within the hour.]

 

It wasn't the news he wanted, but at least they were all working on it. "That's alright," he said. "Keep it up, and prioritize the warp drive at the moment. If it comes down to it, we can use the shuttles as secondary deflectors flying in formation. But without warp, we won't be getting to a repair facility anytime soon." Sanderson agreed with him, and they both signed off, knowing there wasn't anything else to take care of.

 

He started to reach for his tricorder before stopping and sighing. No, not again, he thought. He hadn't retrieved it from the mine's lid before beaming it out, and they had not only beamed the mine out of the ship but had simply dissipated the mine as a vapor of atoms in the void. It wasn't just gone, it no longer existed. Cera will never let me live that down... He set his hands on his hips and was surprised when he hit something there. Grabbing his tricorder, he remembered: he had holstered his, and had been using the EOD tech's tricorder to scan the mine. He sighed in relief, and hoped that no one else had noticed the tricorder departing this world.

 

At least it's someone else's, he thought, and started doing more in-depth scans of the area as he waited on his crew to get down here.


  • 0

#76 GM-12

GM-12

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 364 posts
  • Formerly Most Angelic
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22106.02 @ 00:49 (12:49 AM)

== Enlisted Mess ==

 

For the time of night, the enlisted mess hall was surprisingly busy, the line for food wrapping past the counter and towards the far doors. Some of those in line were dressed in their uniforms, likely at the tail end of their late night shift, while others were still in civvies or clearly freshly cleaned uniforms, likely looking down the barrel of their next shift as they ate whatever sludge the good chef was cooking. Hunter was in the latter group, sitting at a table in his sweaty work out clothing after having fit in a session before trudging his way to security for what was likely going to be a long, dull shift.
 
With a grunt, Hunter held up what supposedly passed for bacon. It flopped limply in his hand like a sad offering. "I don't even think this rubbish is turkey bacon... is there something below turkey bacon?"
 
One of Hunter's roommates, a Bajoran named Letio, looked up from a bowl of green soup with a shrug. His slightly rumpled blue uniform suggested he was in the former group, headed for his bed after he finished his current meal. "Do Talaxians have a modified bacon? I assume that would taste worst," he commented before spooning some of his green soup into his mouth.
 
"Says the guy who is willingly eating leola root soup and has been eating it for weeks," Hunter mumbled before letting the "bacon" flop onto his plate with a resigned sigh before he turn his attention to what someone had labeled as eggs. It was possible that there were eggs somewhere below the ten layers of cheese on top but Hunter didn't think they would taste like eggs. In fact, the cheese was probably preferrable.
 
"It has an acquired taste," Letio protested. His left shoulder rose in a mini-shrug. "I, actually, think the Chef has done a very good job of adapting it and making it savory. Plus, we had to do something with all the roots they gave us... what was the boss lady thinking when they offered us all of that?"
 
Hunter snorted, a bit of egg coming out and bouncing across the table. "Sorry," he said as he wiped his mouth. "She probably took it just so they would shut up and we could leave. It would have been bad form to let  'Crack the Whip' Braggins shoot them, after all."
 
Letio, possibly forgetting that they were in the enlisted mess, stiffened and glanced around as if he expected their first officer to just materialize at even the slightest mention of her. After a moment, he relaxed and shrugged again. "I still say it doesn't taste half bad and I, at least, know what it is unlike that bacon that might be a science experiment for all we know. I can't say much but let's just say I've heard rumors that my boss might have a secret lab filled with some questionable experiments."
 
Hunter hummed and then, nodded his head slightly. "That would explain the feeling I got last time I had to do a security check of the lab.... one step away from super villain."
 
They settled into a quiet silence as each man picked at his sub-par breakfast offerings. Occasionally, Hunter would pause to rub the back of his neck, still feeling tingles along his skin that must have been some of his pre-workout failing to burn off from his work out. It wasn't quite an itch but he wouldn't describe it as a pleasant feeling. It was nothing that a hot shower wouldn't cure before he reported in,
 
"New ink?" Letio asked, having watched Hunter rub at his left forearm. The whole arm was covered in an intricate tattoo but Letio hadn't remembered it being quite so colorful when he'd seen it in the past. However, the Bajoran would also admit that he didn't regularly stare at the artwork adorning any of his roommates. Otherwise, he wouldn't have room for many other hobbies.
 
"No but I got the color touched up," Hunter answered, rubbing a hand over the area. "Don't tell anyone but I might have let a girl on the Colony work on it. They have some herbal dye that they utilize and it was way more vibrant than what we can get our hands on normally."
 
Letio glowered at him over the bowl of soup. "You are giving me crap for eating leola root soup but you may have let a girl tattoo dyed leola root into your skin? What is wrong with you? She better have been out of this world... and you better have sealed the deal."
 
"It wasn't leola root. I asked. And I had someone check to make sure it was safe," Hunter retorted, picking up his tray and beginning to stand up as he usually did when the tables were turned on him. 
 
"Fine, man. It's your skin that's going to rot off," Letio said with yet another shrug. It really was the Bajoran's trademark. "If you're going to go shower, you might not wanna go back to the room. She's there," he added.
 
Hunter paused, turning partially to look at the Bajoran. The only thing more annoying than the usually right Bajoran was their puppy dog in love roommate and his insufferable girlfriend. She really was a nice girl, another scientist like Letio, who was probably regretting that he had introduced the pair, but her constant presence was starting to wear on his nerves.  Fortunately, like most young romances, Hunter and Letio both expected the new would wear off very quickly and their room would return to the bachelor pad they had so greatly enjoyed. 
 
"Thanks, Let. I'll go use the locker room. If they're still, well you know, I can probably unlock one of the cells for you if you want to get a couple hours of sleep. I won't even lock you in this time," Hunter offered with a wicked grin as he left the Bajoran to wonder what exactly he would be walking into in a few short minutes. 

  • 0

#77 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.11 @ 15:39 (03:39 PM)

== Ens Nat Okehampton, Security NRC. Enlisted Mess Hall == 
 
>> Medical Complex >>
 
The turbolift didn’t have far to go, down a whole two decks before the doors opened and Nat stepped out. She was much more comfortable out of the claustrophobia-inducing isolation labs and the bizarre equipment. 
 
That was horrible… It wasn’t even me that was sick and it was still awful in there! The brunette shivered involuntarily. Angry Kazon, fine, I can deal with those. I can see them and I can shoot them. It’s the tiny bits I can’t see that bother me and I’m only too happy to leave all that to Medical and Science!
 
There was another reason Okehampton was glad to have been freed from the labs. She was good friends with Dr Sydesh, and the two of them worked well together. But the lithe Security officer was not ready for the dynamic shift of having to actually take orders from her roommate. 
 
I can take advice from her, because that feels like a two way street. We really have helped each other. But doing as she tells me? No, I need a good long while to get my head around that.
 
The Enlisted Mess felt a little like forbidden territory as Nat stepped inside. She pulled the tricorder out of her pocket and started to scan, ignoring the quizzical looks from the enlisted crew members present. 
 
“Can I help you, Ensign?” One of the Support staff had approached. 
 
“It’s OK. I’m on a wild goose chase from Medical,” Okehampton replied, a put-upon expression on her face. “They think they’ve seen something new and now I have to go and scan around the place for patterns. Do you mind if I check the place over?”
 
“No, by all means. Do what you need to,” came the reply, as the Support crewman wandered away again, their curiosity apparently sated. 
 
The tricorder chirped as Nat worked her way around and took a step into the food prep area, still watching the screen for anything that might indicate a match. 
 
== GM input please - does Okehampton find anything that might correspond to the pattern of Maxwell’s rash? A chemical match or other reading? ==
 

  • 0

#78 GM-12

GM-12

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 364 posts
  • Formerly Most Angelic
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22107.12 @ 00:27 (12:27 AM)

The challenge of trying to locate a mere dermatitis pattern, which had presented no distinctive puss, ooze or shedding, was that, on a ship the size of the Artemis, it made looking for a needle in a haystack seem like a simple task. Even having narrowed the search area to the enlisted mess hadn't helped greatly.

The tricolor, utilizing the DNA within the pattern, had been able to identify with a 94% probability the table that Maxwell had utilized or had, at least, utilized within the last 24 hours. However, the reading was degraded enough to suggest that others had utilized the table since Maxwell. There was a slurry of different food residues on the table, suggesting the cleaning staff might want to improve their cleaning techniques as well. There was nothing there, though, that should not have been there, except maybe some bacteria likely to cause a few upset stomaches. It was nothing a good cleaning solution couldn't fix and certainly not the cause of Maxwell's issue.

If Okehamptom wanted to effectively scan Maxwell's wake, she would need a more specific scanning parameter, which would likely be uncovered by a deeper dive into what was causing Maxwell's condition.
  • 0

#79 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.12 @ 21:55 (09:55 PM)

== Ens Nat Okehampton, Security NRC. Enlisted Mess Hall == 
 
Nat wasn’t entirely surprised to see that the scans came back negative. She understood why Beka had asked for them but even as the brunette stood and watched, the table Maxwell had used was vacated by one group and then immediately occupied by another in a process that would probably repeat the entire day. 
 
It was worth a go, she thought as she sent the scan results through to Sickbay. 
 
As she left the mess and headed back towards the turbolift, Okehampton touched her commbadge to start the ball rolling with the other part of her assignment, getting Maxwell’s bunkmate down to Sickbay for Sydesh to check him over.
 
“Computer, location of Crewman Havri Letio please.”
 
I’ll go pay him a visit, make sure he knows this isn’t optional…
 
== GM input - is it possible to go and find Crewman Havri please? And how does he look when Okehampton gets there? ==
 

  • 0

#80 GM-12

GM-12

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 364 posts
  • Formerly Most Angelic
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22107.17 @ 21:58 (09:58 PM)

The computer provided Crewman Havri's location as being in the main science lab.

Upon arrival, there were a few people in the science lab, working on different tasks. It would only take the right question to the right person to lead Okehampton to the young Bajoran at one of the departmental console. He appeared to be working on a report and seemed to be in tip top shape for a scientist.

== I would recommend moving your posts to the science lab if you are going to explore further. ==
  • 0