What Drew You?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LCdr Sebok

LCdr Sebok

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted Star Date 21901.18 @ 11:47 (11:47 AM)

Hi Guys, 

I'm curious as to what your earliest memories of Star Trek and what are the most significant moments to you throughout the seasons and movies?.

My earliest memory is when I lived in Germany as kid and watched the TOS episode Shore Leave.  Remembering specifically the Samurai chasing Mr Sulu.

The really significant moment, scene or whatever you wish to call it has to be this.

https://www.youtube....h?v=c-8W0uTV19M

#2 LCdr Shi-mi M'Rour

LCdr Shi-mi M'Rour

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 710 posts

Posted Star Date 21901.19 @ 19:07 (07:07 PM)

Watching the Original series on a black and white telly that took about 10 minutes to warm up before a picure appeared, so I never saw the opening teasers for years and only got to see the episode The Savage Curtain a few years ago, because every single time it was shown on telly, or I set the video for that episode, there'd be a power cut or the tape would screw up in the machine or something that stopped me.

But as to significant moments, I think we can all agree on this one... https://www.youtube....h?v=K-YyL7X4CWw

#3 Lt Daniel Hawk

Lt Daniel Hawk

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted Star Date 21901.20 @ 17:06 (05:06 PM)

My earliest memories were watching re-runs of the Original Series. I really liked the characters and the fact that it was about space. I remember vividly seeing Wrath of Khan in the movie theaters and yes crying when Spock died.

I remember watching the STNG's Encounter at Farpoint when it debuted on TV and was so happy a new Trek series was back. It is hard to say what exactly drew me to ST or the exact episode. But I have several favorite quotes, episodes and such from all of ST series and movies...well except Enterprise. I hated and still hate Enterprise. I kept waiting for Sam to leap in and take Archer with him.

#4 Cdr Daniel Brooks

Cdr Daniel Brooks

• First Officers
  • Pip
  • 2305 posts

Posted Star Date 21901.20 @ 20:19 (08:19 PM)

Earliest memory is TOS on reruns on channel 4 I believe on a Sunday afternoon. 

Then it was TNG on BBC 2 I think. 

#5 Ens Charlie Roberts

Ens Charlie Roberts

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 800 posts
  • Science Officer
  • USS Yoritomo, DD-4019

Posted Star Date 21901.22 @ 01:17 (01:17 AM)

Watching re-runs of TOS with my Mum, who had seen them when they first came out in the UK.

For me the most significant moments are the ones that make you think about the meaning behind them.

#6 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 663 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21901.22 @ 08:10 (08:10 AM)

It was Star Trek II: Wrath Of Khan that first sort of piqued my interest... then The Voyage Home.

They were re-runs on TV that I happened upon, and I saw them just before TNG started; so they gripped me and pulled me in.

After that, TNG was just amazing, and continues to be my favorite series. In particular, the interactions between Worf and Picard regarding his Klingon heritage. Q. The quandaries and morality explored. Vash. It had it all.

Don't get me wrong, DS9 also reeled me in too... but the TNG days were my original stomping grounds.

#7 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1266 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21902.03 @ 20:42 (08:42 PM)

Watched TOS on BBC 2, was hooked on TNG and watched most of the early runs of DS9 and VOY. 

For me at the time it just an entertaining tv series. I didn't know anything about genres, but I knew what I liked.

I still remember seeing a sci-fi magazine with a picture from the episode Skin of Evil and being excited when it looked like there was going to be a follow on from TOS. Didn't know anything about TNG until I saw Encounter at Farpoint.

#8 Mid Ben'Soon

Mid Ben'Soon

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 21904.11 @ 19:23 (07:23 PM)

My father and grandfather were both Star Trek fans, and I was born the year TNG started airing. So some of my earliest TV memories are of them watching Star Trek: TNG. When DS9 launched, I was old enough to be excited about it and watch it with my dad. From that point on, we made an effort to watch Star Trek together each week (schedule permitting, as our family often had other commitments on Wednesday nights). Star Trek was one of the only shows I was allowed to watch after dinner, which was usually a TV-free time on weeknights. I think the last time we purposefully sat down together was for the DS9 finale, as Voyager failed to keep my dad's interest as much, though I kept watching Trek up until partway through Enterprise.