Creative Corner Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VAdm Paul Braggins

VAdm Paul Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 826 posts

Posted Star Date 21902.23 @ 11:42 (11:42 AM)

Have you ever wondered what goes into creating missions for the site? Have you ever wondered what makes a good GM? Do you have a burning desire to know more about why certain creative decisions have been made?

Now is your chance to find out!

In the interests of transparency, I will be taking questions and answering one or two per week to the best of my ability. Obviously I won't be able to give details of future subplots, because that would ruin the surprise!

Please use this form. I look forward to seeing what people come up with!

#2 VAdm Paul Braggins

VAdm Paul Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 826 posts

Posted Star Date 21902.23 @ 20:40 (08:40 PM)

Eight hours in and I've already had two questions!

1 - Will we ever have a time travel mission?

Probably! Personally I find time travel missions have the potential to get far too complicated to be fun for everyone, and the subplots I've seen involving time travel have often been somewhat divisive among crews. That said, we've had several time travel missions before and when they've worked they've usually worked really well. If there is sufficient demand/a plot-driven reason for more time travel on the site, I'll certainly consider it in future.

2 - How far in advance does the creative team plan the story arcs?

That actually depends:

Some of the site's older story arcs were planned months in advance, while others might have been planned years in advance as culminations of several converging arcs. Currently we have no major story arcs past our site being set beyond the boundaries of the Federation and pushing deeper into the unknown areas of the Alpha Quadrant. That was an idea I had on the train home from work and discussed by the administration over the period of about a week; so that one was thought up, approved, announced, and implemented within about a month.

Individual missions on the other hand, are not necessarily planned in advance at all. People will submit ideas through the form provided, and if I like it, I'll commission them to write an outline for me. This could be weeks in advance of it being assigned to a ship, though it's not uncommon for a mission outline to lay unused for months or years before a CO accepts it. If there are special missions required for a story arc, they take a little longer to plan and put together, but I usually write those myself based upon the actions of the crew(s) in previous missions.

#3 VAdm Paul Braggins

VAdm Paul Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 826 posts

Posted Star Date 21902.28 @ 09:40 (09:40 AM)

Will there be any future missions that involve multiple ships and crews?

Maybe. As ships progress at different speeds, coordinating missions can be problematic. There are also logistical issues when it comes to ensuring both crews have enough to do, finding a GM team who can handle both ships, and even finding crews that will work well together - if crews post at different rates, we run the risk of one or both of the crews becoming irritated that the pace of the plot isn't set for them. If I were to write a mission for two ships at this point in time, they'd more likely be independent missions in the same area with minimum levels of overlap - which means it's not really a joint mission, if you think about it.

What do you consider the key ingredients of a good mission idea?

This is a tough one. The most obvious one is that everyone has something to do; if people get bored, they don't enjoy themselves. That said, this question is extraordinarily subjective; different crews like different things, and what might be a good mission for one ship might be a terrible mission for another. Ultimately, though, a good idea is one that is creative, innovative, and interesting without being needlessly complex. Whether or not this will translate into a good mission, however, depends entirely on the crew and the GM(s) involved.