#1 Cmdr Alexis Tregelen

Cmdr Alexis Tregelen

• Administrators
  • 1510 posts
  • Discord:Tregelen #8924
  • Commanding Officer
  • Pioneer Outpost
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21903.12 @ 02:50 (02:50 AM)

The question is simple, should we hold in game elections this year like we were meant to last year? The basic premise is that you will create a bio for a character, submit it to me and the admin team. If we like the bio we will approve it and then you start playing that character. You will participate in some debates and speak about how your character would handle situations etc. Once the debates are complete then the members will vote on who should win the election. Once the election is over and the results are known I will then take over and play the winner as my President character (and be the one making these posts instead of Alex).

The poll will be open for the rest of the month and we will see what you want.

https://docs.google....YTnk8A/viewform

#2 Cdr Harrison Boislevesque

Cdr Harrison Boislevesque

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 1547 posts
  • Acting Commanding Officer
  • USS Sheridan DD-4086
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21903.12 @ 20:59 (08:59 PM)

Why can't the person who creates the character continue to play the character as the president?

#3 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1217 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • USS Copernicus, GSC-9035
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21903.12 @ 22:23 (10:23 PM)

I believe that we do need elections to allow us to be involved, but obviously(To me anyway) the character my be played by an admin as the Prez represents them

#4 Cmdr Alexis Tregelen

Cmdr Alexis Tregelen

• Administrators
  • 1510 posts
  • Discord:Tregelen #8924
  • Commanding Officer
  • Pioneer Outpost
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21903.12 @ 23:25 (11:25 PM)

Why can't the person who creates the character continue to play the character as the president?

The character is meant to be my public face on the boards for announcements etc. and not really an active posting character although im sure that it will be used in some way for that if the opportunity comes up.

#5 Cdr Harrison Boislevesque

Cdr Harrison Boislevesque

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 1547 posts
  • Acting Commanding Officer
  • USS Sheridan DD-4086
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21903.13 @ 11:06 (11:06 AM)

The character is meant to be my public face on the boards for announcements etc. and not really an active posting character although im sure that it will be used in some way for that if the opportunity comes up.

The thing that I am thinking is that if a player has made a character and is able to get into the character's mind set for all the pre-election stuff , they know how the character would react to things and how they think about the situations.   So if it is only a public face, then who posts is kind of irrelevant as the player could be told what they have to post and they could then post it and add the thought and thinking of the character, by swapping over the players there is a possibility that the new controlling player won't get the right feel for the way the first player wanted for the character to be and that would completely spoil the character and experience and it might also put other players off of coming up with other characters when future presidential elections come up. 

#6 Mid Nathan Ramius

Mid Nathan Ramius

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted Star Date 21903.13 @ 17:42 (05:42 PM)

I honestly like the idea, even if the character I create isn't played by me after the elections are done.

For one, it provides a unique way for players to interact with the site, and gives a chance for us to effect site-history (if only via some flavor) regardless of whether we play a character or not (just by voting).

It also presents our Commodore with a unique challenge of trying to represent the character in a way that reflects the original intentions of the author. Yeah, it'll be interpreted a bit differently, but knowing in advance that this is the intention, it doesn't bother me one bit. I see it like writing for other mediums like stage, tv, or movies, where the characters would be interpreted through an actor anyway.

As well, it affords our characters the chance to talk about the elections in-game, which can only serve to add to the depth of our characters, and even some development.

Lastly, it is fun, pure and simple, and I don't think it needs to be more than that. Getting to debate as a Presidential candidate for the Federation? Hell yes! Getting to ask questions and grill potential candidates? Mwuahahahah! I think of it as an opportunity to get to play a character I might not otherwise get to role-play, and if I'm lucky, I get to see the name pop-up from time-to-time (if the Admins did chose a bio I submitted lol). Otherwise, it'd be awesome to maybe roleplay a member of the Federation Presidential Press Corps, or just as my PRC getting to ask some tough questions.

Site-wide subplots (like the Pioneer Christmas Party) are good for the site too, bringing people together from the ships to interact - making us a stronger, more cohesive community.

#7 LCdr Sebok

LCdr Sebok

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted Star Date 21903.22 @ 12:02 (12:02 PM)

I do like the idea of elections, I agree with Harrison though, it might be a better idea for the creator to play the president or candidate.  It would offer some interesting role playing, unique even.