Photo

Should We Hold In Game Elections 2019

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Alexis Tregelen

Alexis Tregelen

• Administrators
  • 1531 posts

Posted Star Date 21903.12 @ 02:50 (02:50 AM)

The question is simple, should we hold in game elections this year like we were meant to last year? The basic premise is that you will create a bio for a character, submit it to me and the admin team. If we like the bio we will approve it and then you start playing that character. You will participate in some debates and speak about how your character would handle situations etc. Once the debates are complete then the members will vote on who should win the election. Once the election is over and the results are known I will then take over and play the winner as my President character (and be the one making these posts instead of Alex).

The poll will be open for the rest of the month and we will see what you want.

https://docs.google....YTnk8A/viewform

#2 Cdr Harrison Boislevesque

Cdr Harrison Boislevesque

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 1691 posts
  • Acting Commanding Officer
  • USS Sheridan DD-4086
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21903.12 @ 20:59 (08:59 PM)

Why can't the person who creates the character continue to play the character as the president?

#3 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1342 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • USS Copernicus, GSC-9035
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21903.12 @ 22:23 (10:23 PM)

I believe that we do need elections to allow us to be involved, but obviously(To me anyway) the character my be played by an admin as the Prez represents them

#4 Alexis Tregelen

Alexis Tregelen

• Administrators
  • 1531 posts

Posted Star Date 21903.12 @ 23:25 (11:25 PM)

Why can't the person who creates the character continue to play the character as the president?

The character is meant to be my public face on the boards for announcements etc. and not really an active posting character although im sure that it will be used in some way for that if the opportunity comes up.

#5 Cdr Harrison Boislevesque

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 1691 posts
  • USS Sheridan DD-4086
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21903.13 @ 11:06 (11:06 AM)

The character is meant to be my public face on the boards for announcements etc. and not really an active posting character although im sure that it will be used in some way for that if the opportunity comes up.

The thing that I am thinking is that if a player has made a character and is able to get into the character's mind set for all the pre-election stuff , they know how the character would react to things and how they think about the situations.   So if it is only a public face, then who posts is kind of irrelevant as the player could be told what they have to post and they could then post it and add the thought and thinking of the character, by swapping over the players there is a possibility that the new controlling player won't get the right feel for the way the first player wanted for the character to be and that would completely spoil the character and experience and it might also put other players off of coming up with other characters when future presidential elections come up. 

#6 Mid Nathan Ramius

Mid Nathan Ramius

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted Star Date 21903.13 @ 17:42 (05:42 PM)

I honestly like the idea, even if the character I create isn't played by me after the elections are done.

For one, it provides a unique way for players to interact with the site, and gives a chance for us to effect site-history (if only via some flavor) regardless of whether we play a character or not (just by voting).

It also presents our Commodore with a unique challenge of trying to represent the character in a way that reflects the original intentions of the author. Yeah, it'll be interpreted a bit differently, but knowing in advance that this is the intention, it doesn't bother me one bit. I see it like writing for other mediums like stage, tv, or movies, where the characters would be interpreted through an actor anyway.

As well, it affords our characters the chance to talk about the elections in-game, which can only serve to add to the depth of our characters, and even some development.

Lastly, it is fun, pure and simple, and I don't think it needs to be more than that. Getting to debate as a Presidential candidate for the Federation? Hell yes! Getting to ask questions and grill potential candidates? Mwuahahahah! I think of it as an opportunity to get to play a character I might not otherwise get to role-play, and if I'm lucky, I get to see the name pop-up from time-to-time (if the Admins did chose a bio I submitted lol). Otherwise, it'd be awesome to maybe roleplay a member of the Federation Presidential Press Corps, or just as my PRC getting to ask some tough questions.

Site-wide subplots (like the Pioneer Christmas Party) are good for the site too, bringing people together from the ships to interact - making us a stronger, more cohesive community.

#7 LCdr Sebok

LCdr Sebok

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted Star Date 21903.22 @ 12:02 (12:02 PM)

I do like the idea of elections, I agree with Harrison though, it might be a better idea for the creator to play the president or candidate.  It would offer some interesting role playing, unique even.

#8 Alexis Tregelen

Alexis Tregelen

• Administrators
  • 1531 posts

Posted Star Date 21903.22 @ 23:18 (11:18 PM)

I do like the idea of elections, I agree with Harrison though, it might be a better idea for the creator to play the president or candidate.  It would offer some interesting role playing, unique even.

The creator will play the candidate during the debates and try to convince everyone that their character should be the in game President. If people are interested in the idea we might be open to the idea of other players playing other political figures from not just the Federation but other empires, but you will have to convince me on that one ;)

#9 LCdr Sebok

LCdr Sebok

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted Star Date 21903.24 @ 21:53 (09:53 PM)

Having a political (IC) area of the fleet would be interesting and unique I think.

#10 Lt Mathew Briggs

Lt Mathew Briggs

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 580 posts

Posted Star Date 21903.25 @ 15:22 (03:22 PM)

What about the reverse of what was suggested?  You offer the character templates and others play for the debate?   Then you play the winning president.  ;)  

Honestly, don't care either way... if you create or others.  Whatever folks want works for me...as long as the higher ups get an opinion as well. 

#11 VAdm Paul Braggins

VAdm Paul Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 847 posts

Posted Star Date 21903.26 @ 20:48 (08:48 PM)

The thing that I am thinking is that if a player has made a character and is able to get into the character's mind set for all the pre-election stuff , they know how the character would react to things and how they think about the situations.   So if it is only a public face, then who posts is kind of irrelevant as the player could be told what they have to post and they could then post it and add the thought and thinking of the character, by swapping over the players there is a possibility that the new controlling player won't get the right feel for the way the first player wanted for the character to be and that would completely spoil the character and experience and it might also put other players off of coming up with other characters when future presidential elections come up. 

While I see where you are coming from here, look at it this way. You will be playing the most powerful person in the Federation, which is awesome! But there will be times when you're going to have to make posts based upon what the admins need you to post, unlike your PRC/SRC/NRCs who have free will. You won't really have control over the character.

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy being told what I had to post.

#12 Cdr Harrison Boislevesque

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 1691 posts
  • USS Sheridan DD-4086
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21903.27 @ 22:00 (10:00 PM)

While I see where you are coming from here, look at it this way. You will be playing the most powerful person in the Federation, which is awesome! But there will be times when you're going to have to make posts based upon what the admins need you to post, unlike your PRC/SRC/NRCs who have free will. You won't really have control over the character.

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy being told what I had to post.

The President isn't the most powerful person in the Federation, the most powerful people are those who are pulling the strings and those would be the Admiralty.  So what you could do is say to the players is that whomever wins will not have any say in the running of the site, but will be the face of Federation Space and you will be given the information on what to say and they can then post it.     Just don't forget that in a free and completely democratic society the important people that are voted into office, can be voted out or removed by the people who put them there.

#13 Mid Neven Slenn

Mid Neven Slenn

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Science Officer
  • USS Apparition

Posted Star Date 21903.28 @ 03:27 (03:27 AM)

The President isn't the most powerful person in the Federation, the most powerful people are those who are pulling the strings and those would be the Admiralty.  So what you could do is say to the players is that whomever wins will not have any say in the running of the site, but will be the face of Federation Space and you will be given the information on what to say and they can then post it.     Just don't forget that in a free and completely democratic society the important people that are voted into office, can be voted out or removed by the people who put them there.

I'm not sure the leadership of the Defense/Military arm of the Federation should really be labelled the most powerful, by just role-playing Star Fleet it's easy to forget the massive civilian side to the Federation government. Star Fleet should really only have jurisdiction over certain areas of the executive branch, the rest of the executive, judicial, and legislative branches of the Federation and its member worlds are civilian-run. Of Star Fleet possesses its own judicial and legislative branches within itself, but those don't really extend into regular government affairs.

That said I am personally in favour of the proposed plan that admin would take over and run the characters as figureheads. It's just easier this way, instead of the player to go post everything admin needs them to. Of course, the person would be free to offer advice on what type of character they'd be, and how to play them according to their vision. 

If that is truly non-preferable then I think it would better just to let admin come up with the Presidents on their own. 

Edited by Mid Neven Slenn, Star Date 21903.28 @ 03:27 (03:27 AM).

#14 Lt Nista Correll {Ptou'zin}

Lt Nista Correll {Ptou'zin}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Security Officer
  • USS Apparition

Posted Star Date 21903.31 @ 07:12 (07:12 AM)

To play the devil's advocate (a good Roman Catholic tradition) I think that all the discussion so far has only served to say why there should be no election and that the normal tradition of this site should be followed with regard to the character and player of the President. Should I remind people that the President is not only the president of the game Federation Space but in the game is also the President of the United Federation of Planets.

The owner of this game, Federation Space should create and play the UFP President. He/she is the only one who can and should.

To be asked to put the time into creating a character, and play that character good enough to go through an election campaign, and eventually be elected as President only to have that character become the president and controlled by another player or by what the admins want, is pointless. Creative control that we as players have over the characters we create, to have it taken away, to create a  character good enough to win the election and have no further creative control, but to be a mere puppet or give up creative control to another play, to me, is a pointless exercise, except for the creative opportunity it creates, which is taken away at the end. The character who wins the election will not be played in the same creative style as the character's creator, simply because it is someone else who now has creative control.

Federation Space is and has never been a democratically run game. Nor should it be. So why have a small subplot game of pretend democracy?

In fact, I'm not sure we need a President in the current configuration of the game with the center being Pioneer Outpost and the leader of the Federation so far away.

Perhaps what needs to consider is that the owner of the game creates a character to be the Political representative of the UFP or the Governor appointed by the UPF for this region of space on the very outer limits of Federation Space, to look after the interest of the Federation. Surely such a position would not be given to the military, considering we are not at war.

A Governor  General perhaps? And there could be other characters opened up, other political representatives from the member states and ambassadors from the other emperors of the Alpha and Beta Quadrant?

I think that the ideas expressed above are noble and lend to the creative nature of the game. It is notable for the resemblance of democracy it tries to promote for a game that has never been democratic and should not be democratic. I think the sentiment is good, to give some players the opportunity to create and play in-character in the great debate of ideas call politics, but it loses some potency when creative control is then taken away and given to another. 

I think, with the greatest respect for the ideas expressed in the posts above this, that the owner of this game, as it has been in the past, has the right and privilege to create the character, the political in-game leader and figurehead of the Federation's expansion into the outlying Pioneer Outpost and should do so.

#15 Lt Nista Correll {Ptou'zin}

Lt Nista Correll {Ptou'zin}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Security Officer
  • USS Apparition

Posted Star Date 21903.31 @ 07:14 (07:14 AM)

I tried to post this signed in with my PRC Lt Ptou'zin but for some reason, I could not get the post button to work. (Sorry about that!) thus I used my NRC.

#16 Alexis Tregelen

Alexis Tregelen

• Administrators
  • 1531 posts

Posted Star Date 21903.31 @ 21:48 (09:48 PM)

I will be keeping the voting open until around this time tomorrow and will then announce the decision.

#17 Alexis Tregelen

Alexis Tregelen

• Administrators
  • 1531 posts

Posted Star Date 21904.01 @ 23:46 (11:46 PM)

Polls have now closed and it seems the overwhelming majority of those that responded are in favour of holding in game elections.

I will be posting the information regarding character creation in the next few days so keep an eye out for those of you interested.