#1 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1343 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • USS Copernicus, GSC-9035
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21906.03 @ 19:47 (07:47 PM)

Subplot requested by Mid Starr for discussions with LCdr Kurasa (For the moment anyway)

#2 Mid Simon Starr

Mid Simon Starr

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Security Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21906.27 @ 01:53 (01:53 AM)

Starr had just been ordered by the doctors to rest, his arms aching but mostly dealt with. Having gone through the process, Starr couldn't help but think about Ensign Parker now things had calmed down a bit. With everything going on, he had not had time to consider the fact that they lost one of their own down there to save everyone.

We all sign up for it, but when it happens, it's not easy.

The other thing was the fact that Simon himself had been a few inches off a similar fate with the disruptor rifle, which leaked osmium tetroxide — another thing that could have killed them. He had denied death at least on two occasions and remembered the first thing he said when he boarded the Dysprosium, almost as a passing comment.

His outlook on that had shifted somewhat. From concern for his chief, that was replaced with a sense of awe, how she kept pushing, and then it started rubbing off on him, at least till they returned, and he was ordered to sickbay. Having recovered, he decided it was time to have a chat about all that had happened, and how things had gone.

He had practiced this conversation in his head a few times before they left.

Why did you push yourself, shouldn't you be resting? Isn't being injured enough, shouldn't you relax at least for a little while?

Those questions were still running through his mind, but instead of thinking about asking them to the chief, he was now asking them of himself.

If you were just a few centimeters to the left or right, those shots could have hit you. You got injured, is it good to be back on duty already?

Simon sighed as he approached the security office, the first time since he went down to the planet and everything happened. Approaching the officer on duty, Simon nodded, looking a bit better than he did when he arrived.

“Hi, ensign, is the chief available? Wanted to see if we could talk about some stuff,” he asked the officer on duty at the security desk, remembering back to his first day when he completely skipped past them.

==Tag Kurasa==

#3 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1343 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21906.29 @ 21:20 (09:20 PM)

Shione had been out of the office dealing with a sick team member and she walked in just as Starr spoke to the Deck officer.

Moving quietly up on him she laid a hand on his shoulder. "Yup; I'm available, let's go in"

With that she turned and walked towards her office.

"You coming Midshipman, grab what ya want from the replicator and have a seat?" 

Edited by LCdr Shione Kurasa, Star Date 21906.29 @ 21:23 (09:23 PM).

#4 Mid Simon Starr

Mid Simon Starr

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Security Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21906.29 @ 21:43 (09:43 PM)

Starr followed quickly behind, after taking a lemon tea with honey from the replicator.  Simon had recently been cleared for duty after dealing with the burns on his arms, though the ache was still there from when he got shot.

He fiddled with his hands slightly as he approached and thought about how to say what he wanted to say and decided that he should make his intentions clear. He knew Shione would figure it out on her own anyway if he didn't, and would be brought up on it.

"You know, when I first went on the Dysprosium on the away team down to that planet, I asked Marcus and the rest of the crew there a question, whether you should have returned to duty so quickly after your injuries," he says, giving a slight smirk to suggest he meant it in a joking way as he sat down.  

"I did not know at that point I would end up trying to reassure a small child, and then getting shot by someone other than the one trying to shoot me," he added to his statement and apparent judgement, making it clear that his outlook on that first point had changed since he left on the shuttle.

==Tag Kurasa==

Edited by Mid Simon Starr, Star Date 21906.29 @ 21:44 (09:44 PM).

#5 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1343 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21906.29 @ 23:03 (11:03 PM)

She selected a Raktajino and sat down watching him carefully. "Still aching huh? Well you need to do some rehab before I put you back on duty."

She then paused and waited for his question.

"You know, when I first went on the Dysprosium on the away team down to that planet, I asked Marcus and the rest of the crew there a question, whether you should have returned to duty so quickly after your injuries," he says, giving a slight smirk to suggest he meant it in a joking way as he sat down.  

She wanted to return the smirk, but kept her expression inscrutable as he finished.

"I did not know at that point I would end up trying to reassure a small child, and then getting shot by someone other than the one trying to shoot me," he added to his statement and apparent judgement, making it clear that his outlook on that first point had changed since he left on the shuttle.

She thought for a moment and took a sip before resting the cup and her elbows on the desk. “Well, this is not going to be completely reassuring to you, but I am not completely happy with what occurred on the surface. But I was not there, and I need your perspective to understand that decision you just mentioned."

She knew this question would sting, but it needed to be asked. “This is like pulling a bandage off it needs to be done quickly. 

At what time did you feel your responsibility for this child outweighed your duty to protect your fellow crew members? Were you out of position, and if so did that lead to the Captain being in a position to fire?

Now don't think for one minute that I am heartless when it comes to Vissi, but did moving over to her put you in a spot where you would have been unable to protect the away team?"

She picked her cup back up and sat back as she took a sip. "Think of this as a training moment and not an interrogation."

==Tag back==

#6 Mid Simon Starr

Mid Simon Starr

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Security Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21906.30 @ 03:38 (03:38 AM)

Simon thought back to the incident.  "Those two things weren't actually happening one after the other, in fact, I was shot trying to sort out isolinear chips to get everyone, including our crew, back to the Dysprosium and complete the mission," he responded to the first part of the question.

In response to her next question, which Starr didn't react to with as much resentment as may be expected answered.  And he began remembering to the events that led up to him being shot. There was definitely a look of apprehension, but also of duty, that he knew that it was a hazard of the job, but it wasn't something that left anyone unchanged.

"Well, I wasn't with the child when I was shot at, in fact I had moved away to prepare for the evacuation, I left Vissi in the doctor's company," Starr said, beginning to recount the event.  He still analysed it in most of his time.  There was one thing he felt was possibly a learning point and something he could take away from it.

"Personally, I think we should have searched the survivors more thoroughly, that may have protected me, as we didn't check the survivors for any weapons on their person when we arrived.  We were  there to save them, after all, so it didn't cross my mind until it was too late, that might have prevented the situation from getting out of hand," he added, as he thought of what he could have done differently.

"Anyway, I was preparing the isolinear tags for the evacuation of the survivors, when the Ferengi that died ran and kicked one of them, while I was trying to relocate that, away from the rest of the group, the Ferengi grabbed the Disruptor rifle of the Nausicaan, which was emitting high levels of Osmium Tetroxide, which we were unaware of at the time, and leveled it at me as I was searching for the isolinear chip that he had kicked," Starr continued with what he had done.

"Next thing I know, the Ferengi is pointing the disruptor rifle at me, probably aimed while I was looking for the chip.  My weapon holstered, I knew I wouldn't have time to reach, aim and stun him, so I did what I could to diffuse the situation, as I was trained to do in the academy.  I had almost got it to the point the Ferengi put the weapon down, when he was shot by the Freighter Captain, with me catching a grazing shot from the phaser, that missed the Ferengi, and before I could respond the Ferengi fired... so, I don't feel that I ever let my responsibility outweigh the safety of the crew, in fact, I feel that I was protecting the crew, as the Ferengi was aiming directly at me," he said, thinking back.  "It wasn't until I moved away from her that I was put in that position... so I don't see that being the issue," he added.  If anything, the safety of the survivors and the crew were at the forefront of his mind at all times, he couldn't think of a time during the time on the surface that anything had been struck. 

"I didn't spend as much time as you think with the girl, in fact I passed her onto the doctors as soon as they arrived, she didn't come to my side until after we returned to the shuttle - in fact - the interaction you saw in the shuttle bay was the first time she had interacted with anyone but the Hekaran woman, though she ended up by my side after the firefight happened, maybe concerned that someone else that showed empathy to her had been shot. I told her to stay with the doctors while I got on with the mission, trying to get the survivors, and the crew, back to the shuttle before the next storm front arrived, and we had a narrow window to do so I was prepared to find somewhere to wait the storm out if necessary.  From the last thing we heard from the ship, I was prepared that we may have to be left behind, both Vesner and I, as we were no longer on the shuttle and the storm had already started picking up, meaning even if we tried to make a break for it, we could have died trying.  It wasn't until the rest of the team arrived with the pattern enhancers that we were able to return to the Dysprosium, we knew that transporters would be risky, even down on the planet, when we left - I mean, it was hard enough with the shuttle that you went on, ma'am" he said, referring to her harrowing encounter.

To reassure the chief, Starr continued and thought back to the times that the Hekaran girl had approached him.  In fact, she hadn't opened up to anyone down on the planet, and it wasn't until they were safe that Vissi seemed to start opening up to Starr at all, she wouldn't leave the Messia's side, even after she was taken ill by the affliction, and so when she left the shuttle, Simon was certainly surprised as she approached.

"The only interaction I had with her down on the planet was to reassure her that our team will try and save the one she seemed to care the most about, the Hekaran woman that was in critical condition. The interaction you witnessed was the first time that she had opened up to anybody, we were even told that she was shy down on the planet, so I did my best to reassure her that we were there to help, and then got on with my duties,"

As for the one we lost, that didn't happen until the last minute - and I don't know enough about pattern enhancers if anything went wrong to sort it out," he said.  "Vesner volunteered to stay behind, but the Ensign was adamant it had to be him, it was either let him, or none of us could have returned," he added, knowing that the loss of life, though still weighted on Starr, that it was a decision that wasn't his call.  

"So, in my opinion, ma'am, I feel that we should have searched the survivors more thoroughly when we detected the osmium tetroxide coming from the disruptor that the Nausicaan handled, in fact, when the Nausicaan fired it, it caused him to become ill as well.  And, we should have taken the pattern enhancers with us straight away when we went to assess the situation," he said taking one final breath as he finished his report and the lessons he had learned. 

"I don't think the little girl had anything to do with the events that transpired, but I'm also saying it wasn't a perfect situation.  If I had to pinpoint a moment, it would be when Vesner and I started ensuring the survivors were safe, and my concerns were not limited to the girl," he said, making sure that he had also answered the final question after giving his perspective of what happened. 

==Tag right back at ya==

#7 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1343 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21907.02 @ 22:59 (10:59 PM)

Shione listened with interest and paid as much attention to Simon's tone as his words. His account while detailed was also confusing to follow, and in some instance his descriptions as to what should have happened went beyond what she had asked of him.

When he had finished she continued making notes, then sat back and took a drink...

"I am unaware if the Captain will want an investigation into Ensign Parker's death or not, and my opinion on that will wait until I see both yours and Commander Vesner's reports. As to what you should have done there is no point walking down that road.

What happened and what could have been done is now a pointless exercise, excepting that we all learn from it going forward."

She smiled, hoping to relax him a bit before speaking again. "For right now I am more interested in what role my people played. Given the environmental, time, and confrontational issues it is likely that only losing one crew member was a best case; sad as that is to say."

She pulled out another Paad and slid it across to him. "The Captain will first likely want to know about what if any crimes were committed by those we rescued, as it would seem that all was not what it appeared when you went down originally. As you record your testimony in this regard I would like to hear it from you as well."

==Tag==

#8 Mid Simon Starr

Mid Simon Starr

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Security Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21907.03 @ 05:05 (05:05 AM)

Simon nodded and began sharing his findings.  "As for the crimes committed, suspected smuggling, considering the type of weapon we found with the osmium tetroxide, and the captain for murder.  I don't know the extent of the other survivors and their involvement in any operation at this time,.  Also, I don't know if it has anything else, but we investigated a shuttle, which contained human blood spatter.  It could be nothing, but we didn't detect any human lifesigns on the surface.  I wasn't able to ascertain how long it had been there, so it might be nothing, could be another possible thing that might be worth knowing," he responded. 

He could only really say what he saw, and the blood spatter was still something that was a mystery.

==Tag==

#9 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1343 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21907.16 @ 21:37 (09:37 PM)

Shione made notes on her Paad and watched the young man's face as he spoke. Was I ever that young? She knew the answer, and she had made more mistakes than he had on her first mission.

The mission had changed him; he carried guilt for Parker, even though he couldn't have changed what happened...

"Well that shuttle along with everything else is likely dust now, so no need to focus on what we cannot change, or investigate. I can tell you that given the circumstances, the mission certainly could have gone worse; you could all have died down there."

She paused and watched his reactions. "And I'm not just talking about Ensign Parker; you all had almost no time to make your departure and even with that your pilot did a heck of a job getting you out through that storm.

You cannot and you never will be able to protect everyone. You got the innocents out safely; we should celebrate the bravery of the man who made it possible."

She sat forward and met his eyes. “I know all about survivor's guilt, but right now I want to know how you 'feel ', first about what happened and also about your role?"

==Tag back==

#10 Mid Simon Starr

Mid Simon Starr

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Security Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21907.17 @ 15:23 (03:23 PM)

"I guess your right," Simon sighed "In a way, we were successful at our mission, though the cost was high, that's how I feel.  But you also want a report.  I entered after hearing disruptor fire and confirmation from Lieutenant Commander Vesner, we then tried to calm the survivors and brought in the rest of the crew.  The storm was rough, so we were going to use isolinear chips to get the pattern enhancers.  The Ferengi run off, and I attempted to defuse the situation.  I was almost successful, but the captain shot and killed the Ferengi.  The storm then started picking up and we got almost everyone home.  As to how I feel about that - that's for the Freighter Captain to answer for," he answered.  The Yridian made that choice, and now he would have to live with the choice he made.  

"And, if it wasn't for Parker, we probably wouldn't have made it.  We all know deep down when we join Starfleet, self-sacrifice is something we know is possible.  It's just... he was so young..." Simon thought back to the moment Parker insisted he was the one to stay behind.  He knew that deep down, the choice was the right one to make, but that didn't mean it was easier.

==Tag==

#11 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1343 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21907.31 @ 23:56 (11:56 PM)

She read the report and nodded approvingly. Shione was however stalling for time while she worked out what she wanted to say next.

"Excellent report Midshipman, I must say overall you have done well here, and I will be recommending a promotion to Ensign for you to the Captain; but the final decision rests as always with her."

She sat back in her chair and again steepled her fingers, “What I am about to share with you stays in this room. I do understand your feelings of recrimination and your unwarranted belief that you should have somehow done better, and or found a way to save Ensign Parker. 

To do that however, at least to my mind diminishes his decision, and is a thorough waste of your time."

She paused clearly gathering herself. "My last posting was in this position but I was assigned to the USS Beckett. I'm going to skip a lot of details but suffice to say not long after departing Earth the ship hit a cosmic string and all but wrecked.

However we did not know that at the time and believed that it had been a case of coordinated sabotage that had brought that great ship down. We struggled and managed to get off the bridge and were trying to get into the Shuttle bay which for reasons that we once again attributed to sabotage could not enter.

The door was jammed and we had reason to believe that an intruder was within, and armed with the weapons on the ships in the bay could have finished us off. I attempted to; using my Engineering training to provide power to the door using a phaser battery buffered through into the lock, however..."

And she stopped again taking a few deep breaths. “The battery overloaded the locking mechanism and it exploded violently. The shrapnel from the explosion wounded a number of us, and killed a security NCO from Iotia, whose best friend was present and together with me tried and failed to save his life.

The incident was ruled accidental, but I carry the responsibility of that man's death with me."

She stood and walked around leaning on the desk, waving him to remain sitting. “My advice to you is take what you learned from the mission and use it to make you better at making decisions and at your job in other aspects."

She then stood up and waved him to follow, "I do want to hear what you have to say but I think it's time for me to assess your martial prowess."

==Tag and feel free to write us into a security training gym==

Edited by LCdr Shione Kurasa, Star Date 21907.31 @ 23:59 (11:59 PM).

#12 Mid Simon Starr

Mid Simon Starr

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Security Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21908.01 @ 02:01 (02:01 AM)

Simon listened carefully to the words that Shione was saying, she was right.  He volunteered, and there wasn't really anything he could have done.  It reminded him that more people would have needlessly died.  

"The needs of the many..." Simon mutters quietly to himself as she paused and recounted the story of the Beckett.  In a way, it reassured him.  When shione was talking, Simon couldn't help but think back to Fiona's first advice she gave him on the beat.  

"Nobody, ever, will be able to save everyone all of the time.  It's not possible, so before you get that bad habit, probie, don't hurt yourself over someone you couldn't save," the Londoner's voice rang in his mind as he remembered the day.  The chief's words reinforced that even moreso, and he knew he had to move on from this and get better.  It was all he could do, for both himself and Parker.  

"This is one of those... harder lessons, that are still important in life," he says in response. 

When Shione gestured to follow, he did as ordered and followed Shione over to the training gym and began warming up in the gym.  As he prepared himself, he thought about the words the chief had said and by the time he had warmed up, was much less worried about things than when he arrived in the office to give his report.

Getting in position, Simon kept alert to his surroundings and readied himself for possible surprise attacks.  He had been caught off guard once during his police training by his chief before, and tried to read Shione's body language to see if she would try anything like that.

==Tag==

#13 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1343 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21908.02 @ 15:39 (03:39 PM)

Shione walked beside the young officer as he answered her questions and appeared to be deep in thought.

"Yes please warm up but I have no intention of engaging you in full contact sparring so soon after the away mission and your treatment in sickbay. You may be approved for active duty, but you're still likely feeling the after effects of what you went through."

She waved Simon over to a circular mat and fitted small straps to his wrists, ankles as well as a belt. She then backed off the mat and initiated a simple holographic targeting system.

"This is the system I use when I'm off duty and just want to warm up. It requires focus, good vision and reflexes as well as the ability to judge whether a target is best struck with a kick or a punch. It will provide targets in a one hundred and eighty degree field, and at different heights. The computer will judge whether you hit as well judge whether the blow would have sufficient effect to incapacitate the opponent.

Computer prepare Shione Alpha 1 and engage on Midshipman Starr's order at three quarters normal speed."

She smiled at Simon; "Whenever you're ready."

==Tag Starr==

#14 Mid Simon Starr

Mid Simon Starr

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Security Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21908.02 @ 16:58 (04:58 PM)

Simon nodded and took a breath as the chief fitted him with the equipment.  He then kept focused as he looked out for the first target to appear.  Appearing in his peripheral, he took a moment to look at the location in his upper right periphery before taking a jab at the target.  He also felt the new skin tighten as he did so and let in a breath, the punch not being as fully effective as if he was at full strength.

==Tag right back==

#15 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1343 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21908.03 @ 16:31 (04:31 PM)

Shione immediately stopped the exercise and spoke equally quickly. "Ok that is enough Simon; I have no desire to see you back in sickbay."

She had him sit down and asked the nurse present to give him a once over. "Seems alright to me Ma'am, perhaps just taking time for the regeneration to settle in?" PO3 Sondra Bennett offered.

"Thank you Petty officer." She sat down next to the Middie. "So we need something to gauge some skill without straining either of our injuries."

She thought for a moment, and then standing up gave the young human a grin. "How would you like a game of Velocity Mr. Starr? I think I can remember how it's played."

The expression on her face was unreadable, as to whether or not that was a bluff but she gave him no time to study her as she turned and motioning him to follow headed for the holodeck on this deck.

==OK your turn, I'd like to see you get creative here.==

#16 Mid Simon Starr

Mid Simon Starr

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Security Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21908.04 @ 15:28 (03:28 PM)

Simon rubbed his shoulder briefly as the nurse had a look and Shione called the program to an end.  He stepped down from the training ring where he had been put up and noted that both he and the chief were still recovering from their injuries.  "That puts sparring out of the question, considering we are both injured." he said as the chief sat down.  

When the chief suggested the game of Velocity, Simon recalled getting involved in the team at the Academy.  He wasn't the captain, nor the best on the team, but he hadn't played since his first year in Starfleet some time ago. 

"It has been a while since I've played" Simon answered as he followed Shione to the holodeck.  He waited for the chief to activate the program before entering in and got himself ready for the match.  

Entering the holodeck as the programme is activated, Starr followed Kurasa as he saw the disc floating in the middle of the gridded room, and took his position.  Once they had both gotten into position, the disc flashed blue and started heading towards him at firstly an easy to deal with speed.  Taking aim with his phaser quickly, he took a couple of steps back to allow more time before the disc would make contact, and shot the target, it blinked red.

==Tag==

Edited by Mid Simon Starr, Star Date 21908.04 @ 15:28 (03:28 PM).

#17 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1343 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21908.05 @ 19:06 (07:06 PM)

"Been a while huh? Is that how you pull a fast one on me and try to get me to wager?" She offered with a grin as she took her place and awaited his first shot.

As expected the first few shots were easier and as it sped up each of them missed one leaving them tied 1-1

"Not as out of practice as you thought hmm?" Shione mentioned as she started the third game which went further than the first but eventually ended with Starr taking the game 2-1.

"Well done Simon, shall we go best out of three?"

==OK Tag back==

#18 Mid Simon Starr

Mid Simon Starr

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Security Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21908.05 @ 21:43 (09:43 PM)

"I haven't played since my second year in the Academy, I'll be honest, but I wouldn't make any wagers until we've had at least one friendly game," he replied with a smile.  

The first few shots were simple enough, but as the disc got steadily faster, Shione was able to track the first one in advanced as the disc turned blue and sped towards Simon, making contact on the first strike.  "First one goes to you, ma'am," he said, seeing that Shione had definitely been in more practice.  The disc then resetting as they began the next round.  This time, Simon remembered his time on the team in the Academy, remembering the advice he gave.  As Shione took the first shot and the disc blinked blue, Simon started to consider the arena, getting in a position where it would more difficult to have the disc get behind him, shooting the disc once more as the two continued, and this time the point going to Simon, tying the game.

"I must admit, the dust is falling off quite rapidly," he replied.  Shione shooting the disc for the next round, taking the first shot.  Simon responded as the disc floated towards him, positioning himself as he watched the disc try and sweep around from the shot received by Shione, before shooting the disc, hitting, and the disc changing to red, heading towards Shione.  The back on forth continued for much longer on the third game.  After a long round, Simon took advantage of Shione's recovery, aiming to shoot the target and direct it towards Shione's currently weaker side, and the disk made contact with Shione.  "Looks like that's two to me," he said with a smile.

When Shione asked the question, Simon was confused.  "Wasn't that the third round?" he asked with a slight confusion. "Or did you mean best of five, first to three?" he asked to clarify the chief's question.

==Tagging back==