Jump to content


Photo

MA/D99 - Away Team - Cevus III


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cdr Serran Zan

Cdr Serran Zan

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 727 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Magellan, FSC-28019
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21906.12 @ 19:30 (07:30 PM)

== This topic is for posts for the Away Mission to the surface of Cevus III ==


  • 0

#2 GM-19

GM-19

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 247 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 21906.12 @ 22:34 (10:34 PM)

The transporter Chief had managed to find a tiny secluded area, absent of the indigenous peoples, to beam the Away Team into. Dimness, heat and humidity, along with trunks and foliage, were the principal things the team would encounter first. In the particular spot they had been beamed into, just less than 1% of the sunlight managed to break through the canopy. Once materialized, clothing stuck to them instantly as if they had just finished a hot shower, and even beneath the looming vegetation, the temperature was 28°C.

 

Getting a bearing within the vast sea of roots, bark, and leaves would be incredibly hard without the aid of technology – the tropical forest was spectacularly dense, with many trees towering some 35-40 meters in the air (some even taller). Navigating the forest floor would take time and caution, as buttress roots were widespread near the surface, while vines and smaller flora dominated the understory layer and obstructed vision.

 

Then there were the sounds of the forest that echoed off branches and tree trunks. A vast selection of birds occupied the canopy and trilled various songs, while the wild, deep guttural calls of small primates could be heard along with momentary flashes of their movement above – the vocalizations akin to those of howler monkeys. Quieter sounds, such as the falling of small drops of water condensed from the super humidity, could also be heard in between the discord of the canopy layer. Even where the Away Team stood, small droplets could intermittently be felt falling from the leaves above.

 

Despite the generally obstructed view, a visual search would reveal a game trail that carved through the forest floor, and lead some 200 meters to an opening of the forest – signified by the amount of sunlight that could be seen in the distance.


  • 0

#3 Lt James Cobb

Lt James Cobb

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 165 posts
  • Security Officer
  • USS Magellan FSC-28019

Posted Star Date 21906.14 @ 01:08 (01:08 AM)

==I'm a bit confused.  Is Price and Cobb here?  If so, what is their physical status?==


  • 0

#4 GM-19

GM-19

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 247 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 21906.14 @ 02:08 (02:08 AM)

== Apologies for the confusion. Both Price and Cobb are there, and are fine.

What they perceived in the Transporter Room was just a daydream, or more like a waking nightmare. No feet or fingernails are missing. ==


  • 0

#5 Lt Michelle Price

Lt Michelle Price

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 450 posts

Posted Star Date 21906.15 @ 01:52 (01:52 AM)

>>Transporter Room>>

 

Price stumbled upon re-atomizing, her stomach turning in awful knots causing her to nearly keel over her knees in a huff. She caught herself from completely collapsing by slapping her hands forcefully against her thighs, her face contorting with discomfort and disgust. 

 

It was a nightmare. A waking nightmare. Why her brain decided to flash into the grotesque vision of being immobilized and ripped apart limb from limb was beyond her. It felt real. Or at least her mind tricked her into feeling so…. After a few seconds she figured she should try and make herself presentable. She did confidently coach a midshipman not minutes ago to stay calm... Her stomach still didn’t agree with her in any capacity, it was practically a raving critic right now questioning her every judgement.

 

Despite her internalized gutty protests, she pushed herself to a standing position, grimacing with nausea and a little dizziness. She then opened her eyes or more like peeled open her eyes from the tacky resistance of the moist air. Her hands were similarly glued to her thighs which slopped off with a soft squelch. The air was oppressively sticky, so uncomfortable that her attempts at taking a deep calming breath were mangled into a stuffy wheeze.  

 

At least… at least you’re not stranded on a tin can waiting to implode… just stranded on a planet that wants to suffocate you…

 

Drops of sweat began to bead on her forehead from merely standing and breathing. It was obvious that despite the juicy water filled air they were breathing, they needed to be mindful of hydration. It took a couple of minutes for Price’s hazel eyes to adjust to the forest’s dimness as the canopy was nearly as thick as the forest floor.

 

Maybe we should have replicated some giant swords or something… wait… is that a trail?

 

The dips and gaps in the foliage seemed to look like some sort of game trail, one that led to an opening. If they were lucky, the clearing could indicate some sort of civilization, assuming the Transporter chief, or rather the Magellan's Transporter System successfully beamed them down to a useful location.

 

I guess we press on…

 

She pointed toward the bright patch of light settled in the distance, “I think our best bet is to follow along that crude footpath… My guess is that we might find some natives at the clearing.”

 

Suddenly, a few branches bustled above her head followed by various echos of squawks and screeches, causing Michelle to jump slightly in her place and instinctively look to the security Lieutenant.

 

“And uh.. Keep your eyes open, Lieutenant Cobb. I’d rather not get suddenly attacked by something bigger than our First Officer.”

 

First Officer R’Karr… certified Attack Cat…

 

She smiled to herself, her nerves settling as the presumed threat passed and proceeded to clamber over to the path, brushing past ferns and overgrowth in large strides. After successfully reaching in the middle of the trail she stopped, gesturing her hand to Lt. Cobb and R’Karr to take the lead.

 

I’ll just hang back with Frost…Assuming she doesn’t charge ahead… She does seem like she could be a bit of a loose cannon...I guess only time will tell.

 

She looked around the edges of the path, grazing her eyes over the foliage. It was hard to tell with the light secluded ambiance any distinct characterization of the plants, but she couldn’t help but have a rather curious eye.

 

Wonder if anything here is actually useful… or deadly…

 

==Tag All! Also GM Input: Can Michelle possibly identify any potential botanical hazards?==


Edited by Lt Michelle Price, Star Date 21906.15 @ 02:02 (02:02 AM).

  • 0

#6 GM-19

GM-19

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 247 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 21906.15 @ 06:03 (06:03 AM)

== Price ==

 

Without the use of a tricorder, Michelle would only be able to speculate the potential for hazardous plants.

 

There were old adages, like ‘leaves in three, let it be’, but anything with thorns would be obvious, and so too would be plants with tiny hairs, or toothed leaves. Leaves that were shiny, or anything that leaked milky sap, would be best to avoid too. Finally white berries, anything with an almond scent, mushrooms, and more.


  • 0

#7 LCdr R'Karr Archen

LCdr R'Karr Archen

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted Star Date 21906.16 @ 04:42 (04:42 AM)

R'Karr materialized and nonchalantly stretched hirself, taking in the sounds, smells, and vibrations from hir whiskers. Seeing Price grimacing, R'Karr said,

 

"You okay Doctor? Did the transporter officer beam you into something that doesn't agree with you?"

 

Seeing the path, R'Karr sniffed the trail to see what smells, if any, were present along the trail. The sounds of the birds however, piqued hish interest. A hunting instinct stirred within hir, but s/he suppressed attempting to hunt a bird, given the mission they had.

 

==GM Input: What does the trail smell like? And does R'Karr pick up any vibrations in the air with hish whiskers?==

==tag Price==


  • 0

#8 Mid Kit Frost

Mid Kit Frost

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Tactical Cadet
  • Star Fleet Academy

Posted Star Date 21906.16 @ 13:05 (01:05 PM)

Hot, was an understatement.

 

The kind of heat they found themselves standing in was straight-up oppressive. It was like someone covered you with a wet hot blanket and turned all the heaters on you. It almost reminded her of the kotatsu back at home, when winter first came on you, or when you were sick, the warmth of the heavy blanket, the heaters inside the table to chase away the cold. But it was even more than that here, it was like using the kotatsu during the middle of summer heat. She felt wet already, and they hadn't even moved yet. She was definitely going to need a shower out of this. She supposed that people could get used to living just about anywhere and doing whatever was necessary to get by. The people here probably had some kind of coping technique. She was interested to get to that part.

 

“If I melt, someone pick up my puddle and take me back with you, okay?” Frost said her general confidence and fun personality coming back now that her mind had been removed from thinking about contacts and instead was back on the situation at hand.

 

Doc P hung back with her after pointing out the trail. Frost's eyes checked it out. “I would say it's probably a game trail used by animals. It likely leads to water somewhere, that's what they usually travel to.” She hoped that it would be true, but then planets could be different, however she had often found that animals seemed to behave the same, in books anyway, everywhere. She gave a shrug and looked over at Doc P giving her a wide smile.

 

“I'm going to check the trail.” she stated, leaving Doc P a moment she headed over to the trail but didn't actually take it. She checked how it bent, if it went to the left, right, and if it seemed well lit. She tried to see if she could tell where the trail went beyond just the basic line of sight. She was hoping to get a bit of a tactical situation they would be following.

 

==GM, is there anything Frost can pick up from eye-balling the trail?==


  • 0

#9 GM-19

GM-19

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 247 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 21906.18 @ 03:59 (03:59 AM)

== Archen ==

 

For R’Karr, the entire jungle reverberated with life. There were flying insects that the Kzinti officer could both hear and detect with whiskers, along with non-flying ones on the forest floor as they scratched leaf litter: it was nearly overwhelming, having come from a relatively sterile ship to an explosively alive rainforest.

 

As for the trail, there were many scents to pick up. The most significant were those of mammals, specifically ungulates of the Cervidae variety. However, there were other scents too, those of Suidae, several primate species, and Felidae too. It was a well-used trail, particularly by whatever species of deer that inhabited the area, while some others crisscrossed or were on the periphery.

 

Among the scent markings, R’Karr did get a bad feeling about one in particular – an assumed large feline predator given the pheromones that lingered on trees a fair distance from the trail.

 

 

 

== Frost ==

 

There were some slight bends to the trail, which did obstruct direct vision. Frost inferred there was an opening leading out of the forest, again because the amount of sunlight that could be seen in an otherwise dim rainforest. It was unlikely that it would be a great distance to the exit, considering that the light could be perceived from their position.

 

The soil was quite compacted, though there were soft sections on the outer edges, which held tracks of even-toed hoofed animals primarily.

 

Something else did also catch Frost’s eye, an odd color among the leaf litter. Approaching, it looked to be a partial skeleton of a bird, as the large talons alone gave it away – the largest of which was approximately 3 inches or 7.62 centimeters. Kit didn’t have to be ornithologist to know it was the skeleton of a predatory bird of some kind.


  • 0

#10 Mid Kit Frost

Mid Kit Frost

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Tactical Cadet
  • Star Fleet Academy

Posted Star Date 21906.20 @ 18:46 (06:46 PM)

Frost surveyed the game trail. It was not unique really, though her father had taken her off on hikes often in the forests of Japan when she was a child. There were still beautiful and vast forests out there and she had often spent summers going through them when he was off. They camped, and had a good time tracking animals, fishing, and enjoying family bonding. He wasn't her biological father but he had never made her feel that she wasn't his daughter. There was a lot of packed soil in the center of the trail where the weight of animals had trampled away all the foliage and pushed down the soil into it's most solid of forms. Then, there was the softer soil to the side that was somewhat protected from the animals, rain, and weather by the over hanging trees and underbrush.

 

Shimmering through the other side of the game trail was sunlight, and it was bright enough to allow her the knowledge that it wouldn't be a long walk til they came out into the light. It could be out of the forest all together, or it could be a large clearing. It was hard to know from here, because, there was no telling what the game trail was used for. She could see the animal tracks in the more compact and softer soil where they had walked through. Various kinds, she counted a few different ones that belonged to various species.

 

Her eyes spotted something too in her survey and she stepped onto the path slightly before lowering her body down into a crouched position. Using her hand, she brushed some of the longer leaves out of the way and looked down at the bones of what looked like was once a bird. She didn't actually touch the bones, but she could tell through the shape of the beak and the sheer size of the talons that it was likely predatory. Not huge, but not small either, and it could be something to look out for in these woods.

 

Frost's eyes shifted upwards to the canopy of the forest to see if she could notice any of them watching the crew.

 

“There's a collection of bird bones here, likely predatory, and I'm not sure what they prey on so it's just wise as we move on to keep our wits about us.” she stated to the crew standing and waiting for the order to move forward.

 

==GM, does Kit notice any of the birds of similar shape and size up in the canopy?==


  • 0