4 replies to this topic

#1 GM-Creative Director

GM-Creative Director

• Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • Sitewide Game Moderator
  • Omnipresent

Posted Star Date 21907.07 @ 20:20 (08:20 PM)

Having one's shoreleave interrupted was never a Star Fleet officer's happiest thought, but having it interrupted for a 'performance review' probably ranked among the lowest of thoughts. That was what Nathan Ramius had been told when two senior Security Officers had arrived at his door and asked him to accompany them; he did not need belongings, anything he needed would be provided when they reached their destination.

The shuttle ride was short, but the blacked-out windows and sealed cockpit added a layer of mystery; the hangar the shuttle landed in was standard Star Fleet, as was the interview room he was led to; a metal table, chairs on both sides, and a two-way mirror. A pretty and petite blonde K'tarian stood by the room's only door and offered Ramius a small smile as it closed; she stood at easy parade rest, though the phaser holstered at her hip suggested taking her lightly would be a potentially fatal mistake.

The door slid open briefly to admit a Bolian woman in Support purple bearing a tray with several cups and a jug of water; after being inspected, she placed the contents on the small table then withdrew through the door, briefly leaving Ramius alone with the pretty K'tarian before the door opened once again and an older looking human gentleman with salt-and-pepper hair entered the room. Wearing a tweed jacket and spectacles, the man looked more like an Oxford professor than a member of Star Fleet, and he took his chair with the grace and dignity of an academic.

"You may sit, Mister Ramius."

Adjusting his glasses, the professor consulted his PADD and nodded slowly.

"You were ordered to undergo supplementary training under the supervision of Captain Mihar. Would you suggest that this training was successful?"

#2 Mid Nathan Ramius

Mid Nathan Ramius

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 320 posts

Posted Star Date 21907.08 @ 02:04 (02:04 AM)

The entire time he felt like he was in custody. Being brought in for a ‘performance review’ during shore leave was the least likely thing he had ever heard of in his life. Told not to bring anything, just go straight to the shuttle, ask no questions – it certainly felt like something surreal, like out of a holovid. Still, he managed to quieten his mind and nodded, following the two Security Officers as directed.

Of course, the shuttle ride was no less enigmatic either, with the tinted windows he felt like a VIP or a Most Wanted. Neither appealed to him whatsoever. If anything, he had been trying to be relatively low profile considering all that he had been through in his short career already.

Seeing the K’tarian with a phaser, his eyebrow raised up in suspicion. He almost opened his mouth to ask if he was being detained, but decided against it. Whatever they wanted from him, or whatever they were going to do to him, would likely be revealed sooner rather than later. Still, the secretiveness riled him some. Though it wouldn’t do to raise his hackles quite yet.

Taking some time, he did a brief once over of the K’tarian, weighing his odds as it were before the Bolian came in. The several cups and jug of water suggested something more along the lines of a hearing than a performance review, and things were starting to feel more like a court martial situation than anything.

Chill, Nathan, chill… he had to remind himself that things were not always what they seemed. Still, he stayed guarded with his body language and features, trying to stay as neutral as possible. That didn’t last long, as the look of surprise he wore on his face broke his attempt to stay dispassionate the moment the Professor arrived.

Who still wears tweed? Nathan wondered to himself.

"You may sit, Mister Ramius."

Nathan nodded, and proceeded to take a seat.

What in the actual hell?

"You were ordered to undergo supplementary training under the supervision of Captain Mihar. Would you suggest that this training was successful?"

“Yes, I learned a great deal from the additional training from Captain Mihar and a more mysterious figure… a Commander Logan McCalla I believe.”

There were a million questions Nathan wanted to ask. Like who this person was, what Ramius was doing in the meeting, why was it all so serious? It certainly didn’t feel like a performance review, even if the question was pertinent. Plus Professor Plum here didn’t even look like Star Fleet.

A study? Perhaps he has questions on my research? By why the special one-on-one in an interrogation room?

He supposed he just needed to tough it out before his questions could be answered.

#3 GM-Creative Director

GM-Creative Director

• Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • Omnipresent

Posted Star Date 21907.10 @ 17:10 (05:10 PM)

Ramius' answer was short and sweet, earning a small nod from the professor while he made notes on his PADD. 

"And would you say that training was a help or a hindrance since joining the Artemis crew? I see here that you and one Benjamin Elias, also of the Artemis, got into some trouble recently."

Placing the PADD down on the table, the professor steepled his fingers in front of his face and leaned back in the chair.

"Tell me, what was your purpose for your visit to Pomn?"

#4 Mid Nathan Ramius

Mid Nathan Ramius

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 320 posts

Posted Star Date 21907.10 @ 22:51 (10:51 PM)

"And would you say that training was a help or a hindrance since joining the Artemis crew?”

“Helpful, by far.”

“I see here that you and one Benjamin Elias, also of the Artemis, got into some trouble recently."

Aww ****…

With the PADD now on the table, the man steepled his fingers and leaned back; inner-Nathan bristled at the hand gesture and body language. There were many meanings behind the non-verbal communication, with the hands showing either thinking, evaluating, or deciding. Yet the reactionary part of Ramius saw it as the man’s indication of a sense of superiority – particularly with the confident leaning back – as if to say, ‘I already know the answer, but I want to hear it from you.’ That pissed the security officer off, having to explain something the other person already knew.

"Tell me, what was your purpose for your visit to Pomn?"

Two can play that game… one thought came, while another cautioned, be chill Nathan…

With no small amount of self control, he slowly, and very deliberately for the sake of the K’tarian in the room, leaned forward and grabbed one of the glasses from the tray on the table.

“Water?” he asked the learned tweed wearer, before very deliberately and intricately pouring for one or two, depending on the answer.

Leaning back himself, glass in hand, he took a brief sip. The movements placated the more defiant side of his psyche, while the more genial and rational part of him got some time to formulate an answer without distraction.

“Ponm was supposed to be a short search and maybe extraction. Ada Miller, a friend whom I regard as family, asked me to look into her brother’s disappearance on the independent world. We did know that Byron Miller, her brother, was a journalist looking into a criminal element on the planet…”

Nathan drew a breath in, exhaled, and then took another sip before continuing; his eyes looking into the water still left as he answered,

“…a Nausicaan Syndicate, we thought at the time, to be precise.”

He returned his look to the man across from him.

“It wasn’t anything official in terms of being Federation officers. Only as family members requesting assistance in finding Byron from the local authorities. Which we did do.”

We just happened to get swept up in much more than we bargained for while doing it…

“Ben… Elias, came with me as backup and to help me navigate the intricacies of an independent world; knowledge he had from his civilian background prior to joining Star Fleet. Also, as someone I trust implicitly to have my back.”

Edited by Mid Nathan Ramius, Star Date 21907.10 @ 23:02 (11:02 PM).

#5 GM-Creative Director

GM-Creative Director

• Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • Omnipresent

Posted Star Date 21907.15 @ 18:07 (06:07 PM)

The professor declined the water politely and jotted notes on his PADD as Ramius spoke, nodding every now and then. When Ramius finished, the professor continued to scribble, before deliberately placing his PADD on the table.

"So you violated a sovereign planet's territory, risked an intergalactic incident and charges of espionage, to rescue a friend? Moreover, you not only threatened your own life and career, but that of a friend of yours."

Leaning back in his chair, the professor stroked his goatee with a thoughtful expression on his face. He reached into his jacket pocket and produced a pipe, which he lit and puffed on thoughtfully; the sweet-smelling aroma of synthbacco wafting away from the pipe as the smoke was sucked into the ventilation system.

"Tell me, knowing that getting caught would risk being disavowed to protect Federation interests, would you do it again?"