Retired Players......

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mid Kahe Oza

Mid Kahe Oza

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted Star Date 21909.11 @ 06:28 (06:28 AM)

Hello Fed Space Admins,

I have been looking at the Player Roster and I have seen a lot of retired players that are listed as retired. I have read some really incredible Bio's, my question is has anyone from FedSpace reached out to the Retired players and see if they would be interested in returning?

#2 LCdr Daniel Brooks

LCdr Daniel Brooks

• First Officers
  • Pip
  • 1664 posts
  • Acting First Officer/Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Sheridan, DD-4086
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 21909.11 @ 17:48 (05:48 PM)

Some of those Characters would have also out lived themselves or come to an end of what the player can do as the character has reached their natural end. 

So, they retire that character out and create someone new. 

Some players leave and come back a few months/years later and decide to create a new character purely on the grounds it be hard to think of a reason for their original character to come back to active duty depending on their exit story line or the character in general doesn't fit what they want to role play instead. 

I know several people who have left and come back across the site.

Really, once your bitten by the FS Bug you never really shake it off and end up coming back.  :)

#3 Mid Kahe Oza

Mid Kahe Oza

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted Star Date 21909.11 @ 22:16 (10:16 PM)

While some of them may have naturally aged out, some might not have, but maybe those that have retired and returned we could add something to the roster something like John Doe returned and is playing as Fred Jones. But for those who haven't returned maybe if they were asked they might. I know I have been telling family and friends that I know are fans of Trek about Fed Space, hoping they will join. In fact, a girl in my office has joined. A Paralegal at a company I visit is the one who told me about Fed Space. I guess my point is that I would love to see Fed SPace grow. Anyway thanks for letting me express my thoughts.

#4 VAdm Paul Braggins

VAdm Paul Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 859 posts

Posted Star Date 21909.12 @ 15:52 (03:52 PM)

To echo what Commander Brooks said, not every Retired Account is a player who is no longer with the site. We don't change the names to say who they play now because it looks bad on the forum, and sometimes players need a fresh start without any of the baggage that came with their previous characters - creating space between them can be refreshing/necessary.

As for players who have left, some remain in contact, others do not. When I was a CO (many years ago) I would try and keep in contact with former players where possible, but sometimes former players wish to be left alone. It is a balancing act between trying to be friendly and respecting their privacy, especially if they left for personal reasons that may make life difficult for them. Others, sadly, are no longer with us.

The key is to keep looking to the future; though it's always great when former players return, and we welcome them with open arms, it is new players that are the future of this site!

#5 Mid Kahe Oza

Mid Kahe Oza

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted Star Date 21909.14 @ 05:38 (05:38 AM)

Oh, Admiral, I fully understand about the privacy and all, it's just you read some of their bios' and they are so detailed and well written, you kind of want to see what they have done with their new Charachter's based on how well their old one was. This is probably the most foolish question do you recruit off off Socia Media like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Is it alright that I recruit via word of mouth, I'm not doing something wrong am I?

#6 Alexis Tregelen

Alexis Tregelen

• Administrators
  • 1541 posts

Posted Star Date 21909.14 @ 07:29 (07:29 AM)

You are more than welcome to recruit in any way that you want, as long as you are not paying people to be here obviously. We have a Facebook group, and a Facebook page although I'm not as active on there as I should be.

I believe we have a twitter and Instagram but I don't know the details for those (and I barely know how to use Facebook let alone those two so wouldn't know how to use them anyway).

As for seeing what players have done with their subsequent characters, there is a template for the wiki bios that can be utilised that will list all the players characters, you can see this on my bio (ignore the fact that it is horribly out of date) under 'Supplemental Information'. Some players do try to actively keep their other characters bios up to date, I was trying to do this with mine but... yeah... that's another story.

#7 Lt Luna Pond

Lt Luna Pond

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 719 posts

Posted Star Date 21909.14 @ 19:31 (07:31 PM)

I've just been reading this thread and I don't mind sharing my story. I am myself a returning player to the site and have been back for the last couple of years. My previous incarnation was Astrid Peth a young Security officer, at the time I got a bit stuck with writing for her. Her mannerisms were very abrupt and completely removed from how I found was comfortable to write, I fell out with her personality and in the end found her a very rude character who was impossible to write and so had to go back to the drawing board fo to speak.

It took me a little while but about 6 months later I found my new character, which is still my PRC to this day Luna Pond. I wrote her initially very like myself in personality, which made her easier to set a backstory for. But as I began to find Luna's personality started to flourish into it's own and now I have found a way to write a CoS, mainly removed from my own experiences but her reactions to things still mirror how I would probably react as a writer should her experiences occur in my everyday world.

From this I found I could extend my characters and so now Luna's sister Aurora serves in Star Fleet too. Their characters are very different, I write for both and both are now a joy to write.