Training Day(s)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

• First Officers
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted Star Date 22004.25 @ 17:24 (05:24 PM)

Standing at the top of a defilade, Coleman wore a huge smile on his face even with the unlit cigar sticking out from his mouth. The warmth of the day was already visible, with heat waves distorting the vision between where he stood, and the targets downrange. Prepared for the day, the Lieutenant wore olive-khaki colored cargo pants, a tight, untucked white t-shirt, beneath a black and unlined Artemis bomber jacket. To add to the look, he wore the matching Artemis black ballcap trimmed with Security's color, and a set of mirrored aviator shades. There was a sudden ‘pop’ sound of gunfire, as a few people took some shots at targets well downrange. A hand raised up, grasping the cigar,

“I love the smell of gunpowder in this rarified air!” Coleman exclaimed, now putting his hands on his hips.

“Shooter three! Adjust your elevation a bit," he pointed with a thumb sticking out from a fist, "you’re still shooting low."

Pausing for a moment, Damian watched on, before putting the cigar back to his lips.

The Holodeck was running one of his favorite simulations; training at the North American Continent Mountain Training Center. It was easily one of his best memories, having done several courses there, but it was the alpine feel of the area that really lifted his spirits, some twenty-one hundred meters above sea level in the Toiyabe Forest.

However, it wasn’t just a rosy retrospection. The Training Center had all sorts of courses to put the trainees and their teams through their paces: obstacle courses, land-nav, urban combat, huge tracts of land for SERE training, amongst many other things. Of course, he wouldn’t use the mountain simulation for everything – after all, they were aboard a starship. However, for the first few exercises, Coleman felt like it made sense to utilize an area that was enjoyable, at least for him.

In the distance, a view of the rising Spring Mountains was inspiring to look at, with most of the areas forested, or otherwise open to prairie and/or semi-arid scrubland. Further up, there was still a bit of snowpack at the summits, but it was sparse compared to what it could build up to in the Winter months. It wasn’t often that Damian found an excuse to use the Holodecks for training, and the man loved his warm weather – so it would be telling that he had chosen the simulation to take place at the height of Summer heat in July. The computer, at the request of Coleman, had given him a weather report for the day of the sim: sunny, clear skies, with a high of thirty-five degrees Celsius.

“Gonna be a warm one,” he titled his head up slightly, basking a bit.

A few more ‘pop-pop-pop’ sounds could be heard, and Damian brought his attention back to the range, bringing his binos up to his sunglasses. To properly view from them, he should have removed his shades, but it was just a cursory look to see where bullets were hitting.

The area where the ‘exit’ of the holodeck would bring visitors would be right next to the Range Officer’s Station, which was in an elevated position to provide view of the range and firing line at all times. Coleman was located approximately 10 meters away from there, still behind the firing point, but in a good position to observe. Despite the firing going on, the Center's loudspeakers were playing music; the melodic sound of cowbell in Low Rider by War, reverberating off of the backstop.

#2 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 765 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22004.26 @ 10:09 (10:09 AM)

As Eliana approached the Holodeck, where the training games would be held, especially the Shoot House challenge. The Security officer, was looking forward to testing her skills, as well as the obligatory teasing that would no doubt develop, between her team and Nathan's. Ever since Coleman had spoken to them about, establishing a better working relationship with the non comms and wanting them to pick their own teams. Eliana had taken it seriously, spending a fair amount of time, going through the roster, before selecting her team of six, based on what they could bring to the challenge, in terms of skills etc. It was also important for her to get to know them better, rather than just a brief hello or chat, when she saw them in the break room or in passing.

No this was more than about, working together and she was grateful to Liam, for alleviating any concerns or worries she had. Remembering his words of encouragement and why Coleman had chosen her for this, which gave Eli a much needed confidence boost. She knew what she was capable of, but to be reminded of that, every now and then, wasn't a bad thing.

So with a promise to catch up with her Boyfriend and spend time with William after this. Eli had left her quarters, with a slight spring in her step, feeling the adrenaline and determination flowing through her. Greeting those she knew as she passed them, some not instantly recognising her, due to the training gear that she wore, instead of her usual orange uniform. She loved getting the chance to wear this, with the freedom it gave her, plus she enjoyed wearing the Artemis jacket.

Upon reaching the corridor, Eli was able to acknowledge the rest of her team, after agreeing to meet just outside the holodeck entrance. Greeting each of them in turn, Eli knew she had chosen well, as she then looked at the six of them. PO1 Angel Harris, PO2 Xavier Miguel, PO3 Rata Solan, PO3 Kit Anderson and finally Crewman Oso Kahir and Crewman Rho Pieters.

A mix of ranks and cultures, but Eli was confident in their abilities and that they would definitely give Nathan's team a run for their money.

" Great timing everyone, now lets get in there and get this done".

After receiving a positive response, Eli then led the way into the holodeck, taking a moment to appreciate the setting that the Chief had chosen, before spotting him up ahead. Acknowledging him with a wave, as the music filled her senses and began to walk in his direction. 

== Tags ==

#3 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 765 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22102.08 @ 07:41 (07:41 AM)

== Prior To Recall ==

Eli may of arrived ahead of schedule but that's exactly what she had planned to do, so by the time her team arrived, she would brief them then start. This might not be their first training session together but the scenario that she had picked, would hopefully prove to be a little more challenging than those she had put them through so far.

Dressed primarily in black apart from the standard Artemis bomber jacket. Eli took a moment to survey the terrain that seemed to go on for miles. Even though it was a holodeck programme it definitely gave the right impression of being on a supposedly uninhabited planet.

That particular thought made the Lieutenant grin as she stood by the camp that had been set up as a base of operations before they moved out. Looking over a map of said terrain as she decided which route to take as she awaited the arrival of Okehampton and the others.

== Tags ==

#4 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 442 posts

Posted Star Date 22102.11 @ 22:15 (10:15 PM)

== McKenna Timeline. Ens Nat Okehampton, Security NRC ==

When the summons had arrived, Nat had initially sighed heavily at the idea of another training exercise. It hadn’t taken the brunette long to reconsider though. She had a new boss in Eli McKenna and this was a chance to get off to a good start with the Lieutenant. Such things didn’t come along often and young though she was, the Ensign wasn’t naive enough to pass this one up for the sake of a couple more sleep-ins.

After my first impression when I got here, I have to do better! Thankfully McKenna seems really nice so hopefully it’s not going to be too punishing.

Having been briefed to expect hostile terrain, Okehampton had gone for practicality. Assault boots, lightweight cargo pants, and a plain long-sleeved top, all in black, along with a custom oxblood leather jacket that her roommate had made her. Embossed branch and thorn patterns twisted along the sleeves and wound around the collar, and it had a trick holster in the lining that could hold a type II phaser, but some clever use of materials meant that the weapon wouldn’t be detected by a pat-down or basic scan.

Nat had her own type II nestled in the holster. She was well on the way to certifying as a fully-fledged armourer and was putting her training to good use. Her phaser had been subtly tweaked for improved accuracy and power consumption, helping make the most of her fierce marksmanship skills. It also meant she had been detailed to bring the weapons for the rest of the team; a heavy metal case swung from her left hand.

The holodeck door slid open and Okehampton stepped in. Chocolate brown eyes took in the terrain, and then she walked over to where Eli stood. 

“Lieutenant,” Nat said in greeting. “I come bearing gifts. They have triggers and charge packs, and I didn’t have time to wrap them, but I hope you like them.” There was a bright smile on the Ensign’s face as she spoke.

== Back atcha! ==

#5 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 765 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22102.12 @ 10:04 (10:04 AM)

After deciding on which route they would take, Eliana didn't have to wait long before her team began to arrive. All suitably attired as per their orders. Although had to smile as Okehampton approached, whilst having a sneaking suspicion as to who had made the jacket that she wore.

Having been a happy recipient of a Sydesh original, it was always good to see another of Beka's creations as Nat greeted her and spoke with a bright smile. That made her decision to put Nat in charge of getting the weaponry that they would need worthwhile as the Ensign had grown since their last mission. Besides with the additional certification that she was doing it also made sense as Eli acknowledged her warmly.

" Excellent and of course I will like them. You can put them down for the moment as I'll be going through the briefing shortly and unless I'm mistaken I see that you're wearing a Sydesh original".

With most of the team present, Eli could allow a few minutes of normal conversation before they got to the serious stuff and reason why they were here.

== Tag ==

#6 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 442 posts

Posted Star Date 22102.14 @ 00:15 (12:15 AM)

== Ens Nat Okehampton, Security NRC ==

"Excellent and of course I will like them. You can put them down for the moment as I'll be going through the briefing shortly and unless I'm mistaken I see that you're wearing a Sydesh original."

It was with some relief that Nat lowered the heavy case to the ground. She flexed her hand to get the blood flowing again. 

I knew I should have used the backpack…

After a moment’s pause, she ran Eli’s words through her mind again and laughed softly. 

“Yes, it’s one of Beka’s,” Okehampton replied. “I’ve got a couple of pieces of hers actually. A really nice split skirt that was one of her first creations. Then this. She’s got this really old Romulan disruptor that she’s been carrying for years. It’s a lovely gun, Tal Shiar issue, but it’s been so badly abused and poorly maintained that it needs a complete working over. I said I’d give it a try and made a start. Next thing I know, she’s pulled this jacket off the replicator as a thank-you. And I have to say I love it. It’s so comfortable…”

Nat jammed her hands into the fleece-lined pockets and sighed happily. 

“So what’s the plan then, boss?” she asked. “We have a lot of guns for an uninhabited planet…” 

#7 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 765 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22102.14 @ 10:23 (10:23 AM)

Her suggestion for Nat to put down the weapons case had definitely been the right thing to say as Eli saw the sheer relief as the Ensign put it down. The Lieutenant knew how heavy those things could be and at least for the moment, Nat could enjoy having full circulation in her hand.

When she then laughed softly and confirmed that she was wearing a Sydesh original. Eli smiled as Nat told her that she now had a couple of pieces and how she had gotten the jacket. Despite what some people may think about the medic, she truly had a heart of gold under the tough exterior and Eli loved to hear about her fashion creations.

"Ah yes I know about that disruptor and that's Beka, we've all benefitted from her talent and how she has that knack for creating pieces that suit us so well and feel like they're a second skin.

It was the truth and it was also good to see Nat looking happy as she then asked what the plan was. "You're right it is a lot of guns but you can never be too complacent even on an uninhabited planet" she replied as everyone started to gather.

Stepping back towards the table, Eli once again brought up the display of the terrain, then looked at everyone to gain their attention. " Our objective is simple, once everyone is geared up we'll be heading out on a recon mission in order to locate a suitable location for a colony to be established, any questions?".

== Tag ==

#8 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 442 posts

Posted Star Date 22102.19 @ 22:39 (10:39 PM)

"Ah yes I know about that disruptor and that's Beka, we've all benefitted from her talent and how she has that knack for creating pieces that suit us so well and feel like they're a second skin.”

Nat smiled impishly. 

“I’m sure that somewhere, she’s suddenly feeling all happy and has no idea why,” the brunette replied. “Although, I do like watching the faces she pulls when she gets compliments. She has no idea how to deal with them, bless her.”

"You're right it is a lot of guns but you can never be too complacent even on an uninhabited planet." Stepping back towards the table, Eli once again brought up the display of the terrain, then looked at everyone to gain their attention. "Our objective is simple, once everyone is geared up we'll be heading out on a recon mission in order to locate a suitable location for a colony to be established, any questions?"

Oh, so many questions! Not that Miss Overcompensation spent last night thinking about this or anything…

Okehampton jumped straight in. 

“Some.” She smiled even as someone else groaned behind her. “How much of the topography have we got from orbit? Is there a spot already marked out and we’re just checking it over, or is that up to us? And any native life that we need to worry about?” 

== Back atcha! ==

#9 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 765 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22102.20 @ 10:30 (10:30 AM)

As Nat smiled impishly and spoke about Beka, especially with the specific mention of the face she pulled when she received compliments. Eli knew exactly what she meant and Nat wasn't wrong with what she said next either. Although Eli agreed, the Blonde also liked to think that Beka was smiling suddenly and unexpectedly due to their conversation.

"I agree she doesn't but I'm sure she'll get used to them more as, we know that she deserves them".

As talk turned to what Eli had said regarding their mission objectives for this particular training exercise and asked if there was any questions. The Team Leader looked to the person who had groaned as Nat spoke up. " Less of the groaning please, Pieters unless you want to stay behind".

This was serious and she'd rather answer questions now before they began, rather than encounter problems once they left the safety of camp. "Sorry Lieutenant" came the sheepish reply as Eli then listened to Nat.

"We got about 80% of the topography from the scans, that were done in orbit and we'll be checking over the area that's already been marked. Although there is a back up area depending on what we find. As for native life, there should be the usual small animals, birds etc".

Now that she had covered those details, Eli looked to her team. "Okay let's get loaded up and get ready to move out".

== Tag Nat ==

#10 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 442 posts

Posted Star Date 22102.27 @ 23:14 (11:14 PM)

"We got about 80% of the topography from the scans, that were done in orbit and we'll be checking over the area that's already been marked. Although there is a back up area depending on what we find. As for native life, there should be the usual small animals, birds etc."

Small birds? Back home, that’s a siren call for my brothers and the shotguns… I never did go in for smearing the wildlife across the scenery unless I could avoid it though. Hopefully the same is true here.

"Okay let's get loaded up and get ready to move out," Eli said. 

“You heard the boss,” Nat said. She opened the huge gun case and stepped aside so that the team could arm up with the type II phasers and charge packs, having already discretely snuck enough ammunition into her jacket pockets to stop a Klingon detachment. 

== Lead on!

Can we have some Eli input?  :P What’s the terrain like? Mountains? Hills? Forests? Arid? Desert? I have way too many ideas going through my head…  B) ==

#11 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 765 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22102.28 @ 11:47 (11:47 AM)

Eli grinned despite the serious of the impending mission as Nat spoke and opened up the huge weapons case, so everyone could get what they needed. Exchanging an appreciative smile towards the Ensign, Eli picked up her weapon and satisfied that she had everything along with checking that everyone was ready. The Team Leader led them away from base camp and towards their intended destination.

They entered a green valley, where they were surrounded by tall trees with multicoloured leaves, bushes of various sizes along with a multitude of native plants. Tricorder scans as they walked would occasionally react to the odd small rodent or bird as they twittered overhead. To Eli it felt as though they could easily be out for a leisurely stroll and enjoy the pleasant landscape but it was more than that and their objectives were very clear.

Although she did allow for a momentary break as they neared a medium sized lake not far from the centre of the valley. " Okay, let's take a moment, then we'll continue forward" she said as she took out her water pouch and took a refreshing sip.

== Tags, hope that helps ;) ==