#1 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1491 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • USS Copernicus, GSC-9035
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22007.14 @ 19:06 (07:06 PM)

This subplot is intended for all of the players currently involved and to make GM02`s task of watching over it much simpler. And it also allows the main ship`s threads to be dedicated to the mission.

==Pre-Silen Timeline==

Sitting in her office sometime after the trio who were assigned to look into what the Borg did and did not take from the ship's computer; Shione realized that she had inadvertently left out a most relevant participant.

A face palm moment, but time to correct my oversight.

“Kurasa to Lieutenant Starr please report to the Sensor Array, and join the three officers there who are investigating the Borg intrusion into the computer. Feel free to bring them up to speed on your own investigation and once both are finished join in a common report, Kurasa out.

Kurasa to Commander Vesner, I am sending Lieutenant Starr to join you in your endeavours, Kurasa out.”

==Tag and have at it==

Edited by LCdr Shione Kurasa, Star Date 22007.14 @ 19:07 (07:07 PM).

#2 Lt (JG) Simon Starr

Lt (JG) Simon Starr

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 325 posts
  • Security Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22007.15 @ 22:22 (10:22 PM)

As Simon was looking over the damage, the call came through the commbadge.  He turned to Kotho with an apologetic look.

"Well, if you find the cause of the explosion, let me know right away," he said briefly before tapping his commbadge. "Making my way there now, ma'am," he said as he took one last look around the accident site, to see if there's something he might have missed.  It seemed to be pointing more to crew error, but he needed to confirm that for sure.  Hopefully Kotho would find something he would be able to use.  He made his way to the turbolift and headed to the sensor array.  

==Sensor Array==

Starr came into the room as Vesner, Taylor and an officer that he hadn't made an introduction to yet stood around the core in the room.  "Hi sirs" he briefly paused as he checked the pips on the Engineering officer.  "Ensign, good to meet you," he directed at Nina.  He had been focused on the accident that he wasn't entirely sure the progress the group had already made. 

"So, where are we at, and how can I help?" he asked the other officers that were already working on the task.

==Tags==

#3 Lt Heston Cornelius Taylor {Kotho}

Lt Heston Cornelius Taylor {Kotho}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted Star Date 22007.17 @ 06:48 (06:48 AM)

== Deck 15 ==

The Security Detail acknowledged Vesner and stepped aside to allow ingress into the room with the Secondary Computer Core.

Once inside the computational center, Taylor placed himself at the front of the access/user-input interface panel and addressed Vesner and the Engineer…

“As you can see…” Taylor began…

It was obvious enough that modifications had already begun; new power and signal couplers had been installed with mechanical kill switches and independent comm control relay cutoffs. There was a mobile tray, with presumably new isolinear chips and additional memory components and subsystems…

“…dismantling and reconstruction have…”

The Science Officer paused as motion caught his eye…

"Hi sirs." Security Officer Starr greeted the team as he entered the room.

"Ensign, good to meet you," Starr introduced himself to Selleck. 

"So, where are we at, and how can I help?" The shaggy haired man inquired.

“At the beginning Mr. Starr….” Taylor stated with a wry tone and continued…

“…The Borg Drones accessed this Core, downloaded information and broadcasted what they had taken to an outside target…”

The tall, lanky, older Lieutenant did not (immediately) address Starr’s ‘where he could help’ question, and Taylor added:

“…the initial goal of our exercise…is to find out what they accessed. Secondary objectives are to determine how they did it and how much information was broadcast before they were stopped or ceased their infiltration objectives.”

Taylor looked around; he was just slightly taller than Starr and Vesner, and three of them were (substantially?) taller than Selleck. Taylor continued:

“The original iso’s are secured in the Main Science Lab for detailed spectral analysis…see what mark the Contingency Drones left. For here…”

The Science Officer indicated the equipment and consoles…

“…I’d like detailed interdisciplinary tricorder scans of every inch of the Core before replacing the memory units…making sure that the Borg didn’t leave any nanoprobes or other hidden device in the unit. Once were sure its clean, the new iso’s and auxiliary memory units will be installed, and then the Core brought online. Chief Engineer Ameen and CSO Talion have already thought of new safeguards, currently being implemented, to prevent another ship takeover attack from this Core.”

Taylor stopped, letting the info gestate in the team’s minds for some seconds and then he asked:

“Any suggestions or questions would be most welcome.”

#4 Mid Richard Lincoln

Mid Richard Lincoln

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Discord:Richard Lincoln #1604
  • Tactical Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22007.20 @ 16:39 (04:39 PM)

==Temp Engineering NRC - Nina Selleck==

17505_stewart-kristen-150.png

Nina followed the others into the room and took a vacant chair turning it to face Lt Taylor, who was conducting a much-needed briefing.

Selleck observed the modifications the Lieutenant gestured towards, they looked to be a slightly brighter colour than others which indicated they were most likely brand new. She shrugged ever so slightly and made no effort to hide her confusion or more likely her lack of understanding. The installation looked to be good work.

Just as Lt Taylor started again he stopped at the entry of another officer.

"Hi sirs." A Lieutenant from Security made his entrance, first saying hello to Taylor and Vesner and then to herself. "Ensign, good to meet you," 

Her right eyebrow came up in a questioning way, she wasn't convinced of the sincerity of meeting her, why would that be true? She eyed him for a moment, his wavy brown hair and blue eyes gave him boyish good looks.

"So, where are we at, and how can I help?" The Lieutenant asked.

“At the beginning Mr. Starr….” Taylor began, “…The Borg Drones accessed this Core, downloaded information and broadcasted what they had taken to an outside target…”

Selleck listened intently and was finally learning something, she was possibly getting an inkling as to why she was assigned to the team.

“…the initial goal of our exercise…is to find out what they accessed. Secondary objectives are to determine how they did it and how much information was broadcast before they were stopped or ceased their infiltration objectives.”

The Lieutenant sure does like to pause a lot.  She thought. The characteristic reminded her of Lieutenant Jolan, the Chief Engineer on the Wellington, the Bolian officer was just like Taylor in that regard.

“The original iso’s are secured in the Main Science Lab for detailed spectral analysis…see what mark the Contingency Drones left. For here…”

The Science Officer indicated the equipment and consoles, to which the Engineer turned to face.

“…I’d like detailed interdisciplinary tricorder scans of every inch of the Core before replacing the memory units…making sure that the Borg didn’t leave any nanoprobes or other hidden device in the unit. Once were sure its clean, the new iso’s and auxiliary memory units will be installed, and then the Core brought online. Chief Engineer Ameen and CSO Talion have already thought of new safeguards, currently being implemented, to prevent another ship takeover attack from this Core.”

Selleck's focus shifted between each of her colleagues and then back solely to Lt Taylor. "So essentially you are wanting us to run a system check and make sure everything is factory fitted as it were?" She asked raising her eyebrows, "If so why isn't the ship being pulled to pieces in a dock and given a rundown there? If we were to be..." She shrugged again and tried to think of the right word to describe the situation, "Disabled by some kind of virus, infestation or whatever...when we're in the middle of the back of beyond?" 

The Ensign held up her hands in way of surrender and took a breath, she felt as though she might be overstepping with her opinion and might have come across a little aggressively. "I'm sorry Lieutenant, I got carried away!"

==Tags==

Nina followed the others into the room and took a vacant chair turning it to face Lt Taylor, who was conducting a much-needed briefing.

Selleck observed the modifications the Lieutenant gestured towards, they looked to be a slightly brighter colour than others which indicated they were most likely brand new. She shrugged ever so slightly and made no effort to hide her confusion or more likely her lack of understanding. The installation looked to be good work.

Just as Lt Taylor started again he stopped at the entry of another officer.

"Hi sirs." A Lieutenant from Security made his entrance, first saying hello to Taylor and Vesner and then to herself. "Ensign, good to meet you," 

Her right eyebrow came up in a questioning way, she wasn't convinced of the sincerity of meeting her, why would that be true? She eyed him for a moment, his wavy brown hair and blue eyes gave him boyish good looks.

"So, where are we at, and how can I help?" The Lieutenant asked.

“At the beginning Mr. Starr….” Taylor began, “…The Borg Drones accessed this Core, downloaded information and broadcasted what they had taken to an outside target…”

Selleck listened intently and was finally learning something, she was possibly getting an inkling as to why she was assigned to the team.

“…the initial goal of our exercise…is to find out what they accessed. Secondary objectives are to determine how they did it and how much information was broadcast before they were stopped or ceased their infiltration objectives.”

The Lieutenant sure does like to pause a lot.  She thought. The characteristic reminded her of Lieutenant Jolan, the Chief Engineer on the Wellington, the Bolian officer was just like Taylor in that regard.

“The original iso’s are secured in the Main Science Lab for detailed spectral analysis…see what mark the Contingency Drones left. For here…”

The Science Officer indicated the equipment and consoles, to which the Engineer turned to face.

Selleck's focus shifted between each of her colleagues and then back solely to Lt Taylor. "So essentially you are wanting us to run a system check and make sure everything is factory fitted as it were?" She asked raising her eyebrows, "If so why isn't the ship being pulled to pieces in a dock and given a rundown there? If we were to be..." She shrugged again and tried to think of the right word to describe the situation, "Disabled by some kind of virus, infestation or whatever...when we're in the middle of the back of beyond?" 

The Ensign held up her hands in way of surrender and took a breath, she felt as though she might be overstepping with her opinion and might have come across a little aggressively. "I'm sorry Lieutenant, I got carried away!"

==Tags==

#5 Lt (JG) Simon Starr

Lt (JG) Simon Starr

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 325 posts
  • Security Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22007.21 @ 16:50 (04:50 PM)

Starr listened to the briefing given by Taylor, as he gave out the plan.

“…I’d like detailed interdisciplinary tricorder scans of every inch of the Core before replacing the memory units…making sure that the Borg didn’t leave any nanoprobes or other hidden device in the unit. Once were sure its clean, the new iso’s and auxiliary memory units will be installed, and then the Core brought online. Chief Engineer Ameen and CSO Talion have already thought of new safeguards, currently being implemented, to prevent another ship takeover attack from this Core.” Simon heard Taylor explained, but Simon could bring eye-witness information from the incident.

Simon nodded in agreement, pointing toward where the borg accessed the core from, having been in the room when it was going on.  A lot of the markings were removed, but he still could picture the large minigun in the middle of the room, no longer there.  "The borg accessed the core from that panel, might be a good place to start, but I agree that doesn't mean the rest of the core is OK.  We still don't entirely know the motives of these borg. If I didn't know any better it was if they were acting out of revenge by the message that was broadcast before they left, so anything could be a target," he explained.  

Simon watched as the Ensign looked towards Taylor with a raised brow.

"So essentially you are wanting us to run a system check and make sure everything is factory fitted as it were? If so why isn't the ship being pulled to pieces in a dock and given a rundown there? If we were to be..." Simon heard the Ensign ask, "Disabled by some kind of virus, infestation or whatever...when we're in the middle of the back of beyond?" 

"If they left behind a virus, doing that at a station could put their own computer core at risk," Simon explained. "And Starfleet has work for us to do," he added with a shrug.  

==Tags==

#6 Mid Richard Lincoln

Mid Richard Lincoln

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Tactical Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22007.21 @ 19:23 (07:23 PM)

Lt Starr replied to the Ensign, "If they left behind a virus, doing that at a station could put their own computer core at risk," He began drawing an inquisitive expression from the Engineer. "And Starfleet has work for us to do,"

The shrug Simon gave after his response suggested to her that he didn't completely believe what he was saying, that didn't make him wrong though, nothing could ever be truly certain when it came to an enemy, especially one that could adapt quickly as the Borg did. It wasn't personal she knew that and she hoped he knew it wasn't personal when she replied to him.

"Excuse me Lieutenant, but I think you missed one thing that I said and might be forgetting something else!" The Ensign swallowed hard, "First off I did say a dock which is not necessarily a station, a fully isolated drydock would be my recommendation!" Her tone was slightly short but to the point, as was her way when she was serious and wanted to make a point so she wouldn't need to repeat herself. "Secondly Star Fleet is here to protect the Federation is it not?" She looked at the other officers briefly and then back to Starr, "So sending this old girl out with the possibility of her being compromised, well to that is placing people at risk unnecessarily!"

Oh God do I sound like a coward?

"I know we accept risks by being in Star Fleet and all," Again she eyed her colleagues, "Acceptable risks and believe me I would happily lay my life down if needed!"

==Tags==

#7 Ens Kalli Thorn {Talion}

Ens Kalli Thorn {Talion}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Engineering Officer

Posted Star Date 22007.21 @ 21:04 (09:04 PM)

== Just to make things interesting, I'm reposting my memo here and Giving Kalli an uncomfortable cameo appearance...==

== It will also not take much effort to discover that there are two people that seem to have a heavy interest in the Secondary Computer Core. First of all, an Engineer, Ens Thorn, appears to be running daily scans and physical inspections of the core and logging them into the system, though there is no request on file to do so. Secondly, LCdr Talion appears to be running a constant comparative analysis on the performance. In addition to the systematic diagnostics that are run at least a couple times each day, he has a program running in the background that appears to not be requiring hardly any resources, yet is logging a data feed of some kind 24/7 and is highly encrypted. Although it is running, there doesn't appear to be a way to access it. Both are available to discuss these activities, but I don't advise trying to do too much with the program that's running or it might get interesting. ==

Suddenly an Ensign nearly ran right into the Security detail at the Secondary Computer Core. Ens Thorn was carrying a PADD in one hand and an open tricorder in the other. Her eyes went wide and she asked the detail, "What's happened? Has something gone wrong?" SHe fumbled to try and activate her comm badge, but was missing it, "I need to...oh crap! I knew I should have come by this morning and not waited..." She nearly dropped both her PADD and tricorder, but after juggling them for a second caught both. With her eyes still wide, she repeated, almost in a panic, "WHAT's HAPPENED?!"

#8 Lt Heston Cornelius Taylor {Kotho}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted Star Date 22007.22 @ 05:44 (05:44 AM)

== Note: The time frame of this subplot likely takes place some hours to a day or so, post defeating the Borg Megasphere ==

Starr pointed to where the Borg had accessed the Core and suggested that that might be a good place to begin. And then the Security Officer added reasonable conjecture about the Core may still not be okay…which of course everyone had to suspect was the case until their tests and scans proved otherwise.

And then Starr’s commentary became interesting:

“We still don't entirely know the motives of these Borg. If I didn't know any better it was if they were acting out of revenge by the message that was broadcast before they left, so anything could be a target…"

Taylor nodded affirmatively. The last all-encompassing comm from the Contingency left no doubt that the new Borg organization was out for Federation blood.

“So essentially you are wanting us to run a system check and make sure everything is factory fitted as it were?” Selleck inquired…

“…If so why isn't the ship being pulled to pieces in a dock and given a rundown there? If we were to be..."

The Engineer paused as if in thought and then she continued:

"Disabled by some kind of virus, infestation or whatever...when we're in the middle of the back of beyond?"

Selleck then raised her hands in something very much like in a ‘I give up’ motion. And she finished in exasperation with:

"I'm sorry Lieutenant, I got carried away!"

Taylor chuckled. A low, gravelly-like rumble from his throat:

“At ease Selleck!”

Starr answered the Ensign with:

"If they left behind a virus, doing that at a station could put their own computer core at risk. And Starfleet has work for us to do,"

The Security Officer finished with a shrug.

However, Selleck didn’t appear satisfied that she was being understood and her animated self when up a notch:

"Excuse me Lieutenant, but I think you missed one thing that I said and might be forgetting something else!"

…do tell…?

Taylor had thought that Selleck had successfully articulated her case.

Selleck continued:

"First off I did say a dock which is not necessarily a station, a fully isolated drydock would be my recommendation!"

Taylor had already assumed as much. The tall, older and lanky Science Officer remained respectfully focused on the young Ensign…

"Secondly Star Fleet is here to protect the Federation is it not?"

…rhetorical question…

Selleck looked around at the officers and then settled back on Starr where she continued:

"So sending this old girl out with the possibility of her being compromised, well to that is placing people at risk unnecessarily!"

It took a mighty effort for Taylor not to raise his eyes to the ceiling…and he resisted the urge to sigh.

Selleck went on:

"I know we accept risks by being in Star Fleet and all…" she peered at her colleagues:

"Acceptable risks and believe me I would happily lay my life down if needed!"

Taylor interjected before other tangents were launched…

Ensign Selleck…” The Science Lieutenant stated with substantial emphasis to get the Engineer’s attention…

…there are times when rank has its privileges…

Though it was something the Science Officer rarely cared to enforce but had been compelled to do so. And then in a much quieter, calm tone, and soft facial expression, Taylor added:

“To dovetail Starr…” Taylor added (almost monotonic):

“…the Cop emerged from the battle virtually unscathed, no use tying up precious drydock space for a compromised secondary computer core that had been by all measures secured and isolated from the rest of the ship’s systems...”

"WHAT's HAPPENED?!" A loud, near panicked woman’s voice shouted from just outside the Secondary Core room…

“Geezus Eitch…” Taylor let out under his breath…

…what now…?

One of the Security Detail appeared from the doorway that swooshed open and indicated silently, what should be done (essentially, allow the female Engineer in or not). Taylor waved the young woman in. One thing that Thorn might notice was that the assembled officers were more or less static…standing. As if a group meeting was taking place in the previously compromised Core room.

Once in decent earshot, the middle-aged human Science Officer with two gold pips on his collar asked:

“Ensign, a post Borg investigation of this Core is what’s happening…”

The Lieutenant paused…he might have been inclined to preface his next words with ‘please’ but Selleck’s ‘excitement’ and coupled with this unexpected interruption had him curious, and he used his rank to elicit the

“…explain your outburst.”

== Talion: Will begin to incorporate in game your OOC memo (thanks for reposting it!)

Tags all ==

#9 Ens Kalli Thorn {Talion}

Ens Kalli Thorn {Talion}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Engineering Officer

Posted Star Date 22007.22 @ 15:48 (03:48 PM)

Seeing the other faces and realizing that everyone was calm and speaking in normal tones, Kelli felt foolish. She blushed and looked down, her voice almost a whisper, "I'm sorry. My imagination got away from me for a second...I..."

The Engineer was known for being a loner, practically a mouse in the shadows of the ship. She always did her work, but was constantly off doing other things, making her hard to find unless you called her on the comm. After more than two years on the ship, she was only an Ensign. Even then, the rank was only given to her after she had been the one to use the auxiliary computer control to isolate the secondary core and restore control to the ship during the attack. The Security Officer that she had run into was a little surprised that she felt so solid for a little thing. She hid herself well, but the Security Officer knew solid muscle when it ran right into him.

Kalli took a timid step backward, "I'm sorry, sir. I'll come back later."

That was when his words finally sunk in and her expression changed to curiosity, "Investigation?...Sir?...Nobody ever comes here. Everyone is always focused on the main computer. Nobody ever thinks about the secondary or tertiary ones."

#10 Lt Heston Cornelius Taylor {Kotho}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted Star Date 22007.23 @ 18:48 (06:48 PM)

The Engineer responded to Taylor's request as merely being 'one's imagination' getting away from them...

...okaay...

The woman apologized (not really necessary in Taylor’s opinion) and began walking away. The Science Officer was surprised just sufficiently to render himself mute for a moment…

And then she suddenly paused, and her sullen demeanor morphed into something of an inquisitive nature and she said:

"Investigation?...Sir?...Nobody ever comes here. Everyone is always focused on the main computer. Nobody ever thinks about the secondary or tertiary ones."

From her statement, it appeared that the young engineer had had some experience or knowledge with the subservient systems…

“Yes Ensign…” Taylor responded and then explained:

“…the Borg infiltrated the ship and used the Secondary Core to try and kill us. The team here…Starr…”

…Taylor indicated the tall Security Officer with the shaggy hair…

“…Lieutenant Commander Vesner…”

…the lanky man indicated the other and senior ranked Security Officer with a slightly unkempt mop of hair himself (and out of Rank order). Next, Taylor indicated the other Engineer present (leaving rank unsaid) and said:

“…Selleck…”

…and then folding his fingers towards him, the older Science Officer said:

“…Taylor.”

The man looked at the Ensign hoping that she would offer up her name. Of course, he could look it up, ask the computer, etc., but he preferred to experience names personally…it helped the information plant and take root in his mind….

#11 Ens Kalli Thorn {Talion}

Ens Kalli Thorn {Talion}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Engineering Officer

Posted Star Date 22007.23 @ 19:13 (07:13 PM)

Now the look on her face was a mixture of curiosity and relief as she seemed to relax a bit as she offered up, "Ensign Torn, sir."

She hesitated, being a bit shy, but trying to be honest in the disclosure of facts on the subject at hand, "Yes, sir. I am well aware of the...event with the Borg. I'm the one who accessed the Computer Override Controls, isolating the core from the rest of the ship and eventually rerouting control."

She looked down for a moment and then poked at her PADD a couple of times as she explained, "I know that the CSO personally was involved in the rebuild of the core before it was re-certified for use again, but...um...I still come here every day."

Thorn handed over her PADD, showing the record of her daily detailed scans and physical inspections of the entire system, "I usually spend my lunch in here. I want to be certain that there are no residual effects of the attack. I've read that Borg can radically modify systems with little to no contact, so I suspect such modifications are dependent on pre-patterned sequences that can either be tied into a replication process, or involve a pre-programmed sequence and specialized nanites to accomplish. Thus far, I've seen no evidence of such activity, but I'm uncertain how long such nanites might be able to hide themselves in some way, so I have been determined to remain vigilant until I suspect that such nanites might no longer be considered a viable threat...sir."

== The PADD will simply display the logged record on file with Engineering that she has been maintaining about the times and detailed observations she made while conducting her scans and inspections. Thus far she has only noted minor common things that would have turned up with scheduled maintenance, though no such regularly scheduled maintenance had come due yet. In the Engineering department, Thorn will be known for being a workaholic and shy person with no known friends or associates outside of her room mate (Briggs). ==

#12 Mid Richard Lincoln

Mid Richard Lincoln

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Tactical Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22007.26 @ 11:47 (11:47 AM)

Nina's attention was drawn to the quite sudden arrival of another Engineer, "What's happened? Has something gone wrong?" Whoever she was seemed to be a bit scatterbrained, her comm badge was conspicuous by its absence. "I need to...oh crap! I knew I should have come by this morning and not waited..." She seemed to be in something of a fluster, she was trying her best to keep her belongings from hitting the deck. "WHAT's HAPPENED?!"

If Ensign Selleck was right then it appeared as though Thorn was panicking, perhaps she felt as if she'd screwed up somehow.

Taylor chuckled in his gravely way. “At ease Selleck!”

Following the Ensigns response to Starr, Taylor spoke again.

Ensign Selleck…” It wasn't lost on Selleck how the Lieutenant had used her rank and surname and the manner it was delivered. The title of Ensign stung her innards.

“To dovetail Starr…” Taylor continued with a monotone and almost robotic sounding tone to her. “…the Cop emerged from the battle virtually unscathed, no use tying up precious drydock space for a compromised secondary computer core that had been by all measures secured and isolated from the rest of the ship’s systems...”

“Geezus Eitch…” Taylor let out under his breath in the light of Ensign Thorn's entry, though Selleck heard the sound he made she didn't hear the words.

“Ensign, a post Borg investigation of this Core is what’s happening…” Taylor addressed the second Engineer. “…explain your outburst.”

"I'm sorry. My imagination got away from me for a second...I..." Ensign Thorn replied Nina, felt as though she was in the same boat, she'd more or less just done the same thing. Kalli took a step backwards and appeared as though she was intent on leaving. "I'm sorry, sir. I'll come back later."

Taylor's words sunk in. "Investigation?...Sir?...Nobody ever comes here. Everyone is always focused on the main computer. Nobody ever thinks about the secondary or tertiary ones."

Selleck kept her mouth shut, she'd said enough over the preceding minutes “Yes Ensign…” Taylor responded and then explained:

“…the Borg infiltrated the ship and used the Secondary Core to try and kill us. The team here…Starr…”

Simon was gestured to, followed by the Senior Officer in the room.

“…Lieutenant Commander Vesner…”

It was then Nina's turn to be identified,

“…Selleck…”

Nina nodded to her peer and felt a little sorry for her for walking into what she had, it had obviously rattled her. She offered Kalli a warm smile and eyed her for a long moment. Thorn had a look about her that appealed to Nina, something like an elfish look. Perhaps there was a potential friendship to be made?...

Then came the turn of Lt Taylor to identify himself. “…Taylor.”

Nina stood up and moved across to her fellow Engineer and offered her hand of friendship and hoped she would take it. One thing Selleck didn't have on the Copernicus was an abundance of friends, so she hoped the offer would be accepted. "Nina!" She said softly.

Kalli responded with, "I know that the CSO personally was involved in the rebuild of the core before it was re-certified for use again, but...um...I still come here every day." She handed over her PADD, showing the record of her daily detailed scans and physical inspections of the entire system, "I usually spend my lunch in here. I want to be certain that there are no residual effects of the attack. I've read that Borg can radically modify systems with little to no contact, so I suspect such modifications are dependent on pre-patterned sequences that can either be tied into a replication process, or involve a pre-programmed sequence and specialized nanites to accomplish. Thus far, I've seen no evidence of such activity, but I'm uncertain how long such nanites might be able to hide themselves in some way, so I have been determined to remain vigilant until I suspect that such nanites might no longer be considered a viable threat...sir."

"So would you be suggesting something like a sleeper program, virus or whatever being implanted and waiting for a signal to strike?" Selleck asked.

==Tags - Thorn in particular :)==

#13 Ens Kalli Thorn {Talion}

Ens Kalli Thorn {Talion}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Engineering Officer

Posted Star Date 22007.26 @ 18:09 (06:09 PM)

Thorn seemed to soften a little at the offered hand and took it, offering a friendly smile with it as well, "Kalli..."

Quickly becoming all business, when asked about the situation, she honestly replied, "My experience with the Borg is limited to this encounter, but I have read a great deal about them. They have repeatedly used strange technology that created unexpected modifications to systems in ways that were not anticipated. I felt it within my duty to remain vigilant and at least monitor for...well...anything. Given that the physical machinery has been scanned at the highest resolutions, the only possibility I could logically see as a vector was if there was some sort of nanite activity that might have been left in the area that was somehow latent or hidden. For all the capabilities of nanites, they are limited by the complexity and amount of programming they can retain. Thus, they are limited to relatively simple commands, unless there is a controlling component with higher functions to direct more complex tasks. I've been keeping a regular log of inspections, looking for any sort of small deviations that might indicate the beginnings of any sort of infection."

Kalli shrugged her shoulders, "SO far, I'm happy to report nothing at all." She looked a little embarrassed, blushing a tiny bit, "For just a moment, I feared that something had happened that I had missed. My mind let my fears get the better of me. I'm sorry for that. I feel a little silly now."

#14 LCdr Marcus Vesner

LCdr Marcus Vesner

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 747 posts
  • Security Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22008.02 @ 22:16 (10:16 PM)

While their mission and small team quickly ballooned to a larger group with multiple participants. Marcus studied the core from a tactical entry and defensive stand point. Knocked from his concentration, by the arrival of the familiar face of Starr Marcus returned the young man's greeting with a nod of the head. "Lt. Starr"

Listening half heartedly as everyone made their introduction and discussed their task Marcus' mind flashed back to the attack and the attempt to reach the core room.

Normally as security precaution to incursion Marcus would have recommended force fields as a potential defense, but as a rule force fields provided little obstacle to the Borg.

"Waiting for Starr to be free for a moment Marcus backed away into the hall and called Starr over. "Lt Starr after analyzing our assault on this room I have considered a couple physical measures to improve security that I would like to run by you." Marcus waited for Starr before he continued.

"As force fields have limited affect on the Borg I propose we install transport signal inhibitors and two reinforced doors to slow future access to the core. My suggestion of the second door is to provide more accessibility if we were required to breach against an entrenched foe again. What do you think? Any ideas for physical defenses you might suggest? There seems to be more than enough people working on the technical aspects for now so we might as well take a different approach."

==Tag Starr and others==