Writing Programs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ens Xenara Xardeen

Ens Xenara Xardeen

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted Star Date 22009.19 @ 10:55 (10:55 AM)

Does anyone use writing programs like Scrivener? I usually just use Libre Office or Word, but I've heard some writing apps are actually better than typical, mainstream software. 

#2 Lt (JG) Asfar Farhat Alturkia

Lt (JG) Asfar Farhat Alturkia

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • USS Nikola Tesla, LE-20004
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22009.19 @ 19:31 (07:31 PM)

I use Open Office.

Occasionally the spell checker stops working, so I have to delete a log folder, and it starts working again. Other than that. It's all good.

#3 Alexis Tregelen

Alexis Tregelen

• Administrators
  • 1692 posts

Posted Star Date 22009.20 @ 05:23 (05:23 AM)

If its to write posts, I do all of mine on the boards themselves.

If its for other writing.... well I don't actually do that do can't really comment. When I did attempt to do that kind of writing it was with Word as that is what I had.

#4 Mid Klomak

Mid Klomak

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Security Officer
  • USS Callisto, RSV 88001

Posted Star Date 22009.20 @ 06:00 (06:00 AM)

Writing posts I sometime use grammarly - when it works for me.

I have no idea about writing code or programing languages.

#5 Ens Xenara Xardeen

Ens Xenara Xardeen

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted Star Date 22009.20 @ 11:17 (11:17 AM)

I ask because I've recently been using Scrivener. Not for my posts, (I just write them in Libre then transfer them to the site which I have open so I can stay in character), but Scrivener is becoming useful to write mission ideas and short stories. Really helps keep everything organized rather than having documents opened all over the place. 

Or is that just me? 

#6 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted Star Date 22009.20 @ 13:10 (01:10 PM)

I mostly use Google Drive for most things now. It's Google Doc for posts. Google sheets for a character info database. I also installed a diagrams.net addon onto my drive for storyboards etc.

#7 Ens Xenara Xardeen

Ens Xenara Xardeen

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted Star Date 22009.20 @ 14:29 (02:29 PM)

I mostly use Google Drive for most things now. It's Google Doc for posts. Google sheets for a character info database. I also installed a diagrams.net addon onto my drive for storyboards etc.

Never used Google Drive. I mean I have access to it, but it never even occurred to me to save stuff there. Always weary of being hacked and losing everything. 

#8 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted Star Date 22009.20 @ 14:48 (02:48 PM)

You can download whatever you want to keep on hard disc but I've found the saving whilst typing feature really helpful. Also it's easy for collaborative efforts and sharing access. Wouldn't describe it as the best grammar check though! 

#9 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted Star Date 22009.20 @ 15:17 (03:17 PM)

Yeah, I use Google Docs at the moment. I write on both the work computer and my iPad, so it's useful to be able to access the 'WIP' document from both, and then have some collaborations going on in the background too with separate files that we can all access.

Spelling and grammar checks aren't great but to be honest, I usually have them turned off anyway for writing. Very few people are grammatically perfect and correct when they speak and any attempt at a vaguely authentic dialogue normally sends the checkers nuts anyway...

#10 Lt (JG) Asfar Farhat Alturkia

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22009.20 @ 15:18 (03:18 PM)

My handwriting is terrible. It's been said I should have been a doctor.

Now days most people have access to an electronic device of some kind, so no one hardly hand writes much these days unless you're making notes.

There's even apps that you can chicken scratch on and it turns your handwriting into neat typeface text.

But one of the things I think people should do though, is not rely on Spell checkers. At the rate we're going, soon we won't even have keyboards. It'll be straight speech to text and no one will be able to spell anything because the computer will do it for them.

And let's face it, with some accents, the pronuciation errors will be quite funny, but at the same time, we'll be loosing a skill set we need as a species.

I know people who read prolificly, but still have difficulty spelling when it comes to writing.

So yes, having an all bells and whistles piece of software that fixes your mistakes or suggests an alternative is extremely helpful, but at the same time it's retarding people by doing it for you and you don't have to know what you're doing anymore to do it.

So the choice of what you use, is yours.

#11 Lt (JG) Asfar Farhat Alturkia

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22009.20 @ 15:35 (03:35 PM)

I have no idea about writing code or programing languages.

On a side note, we didn't have a computer when I was little. I learnt qdos and basic at school back in the olden days of the late 80's. Then went out in the real world and found there was this thing called windows. All premade that just worked and did it all for you.

In 2003 I bought my first PC. Then about 3 years ago, I took a look at Lynux for the first time. Python seemed similar to basic. But what I found was most of the coding software programs like Scratch or Microbit teach drag and drop of premade modules of code that you clip together and it works without having to learn the actual language.

So again, we're advancing, but going backwards.

#12 Lt S'hiarra Sothrick

Lt S'hiarra Sothrick

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 514 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • USS Callisto, RSV-88001
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22009.21 @ 14:13 (02:13 PM)

I always write first onsite then cut paste to Microsoft word for editing and then copy paste back

Works fine for my needs

#13 Mid Robin Mayfair

Mid Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted Star Date 22009.21 @ 21:48 (09:48 PM)

I use either Microsoft Word (old habits die hard) or Google Docs. 

#14 Lt Andromeda Tate {Talion}

Lt Andromeda Tate {Talion}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 323 posts
  • Ship's Counselor
  • USS Copernicus, GSC-9035

Posted Star Date 22009.23 @ 04:52 (04:52 AM)

For short posts, I write it directly on the thread. However, if I might be making a longer post, or if it is going to involve some copy and paste to include bits of other posts to consolidate, I am likely to use Word. It sometimes points out if I have a typo of the likes, but it also has an autosave feature that will save me if something unexpected happens.

Back in the early 80s, I learned a few computer languages after getting hooked on BASIC in high school. It was the dawn of home computing. Apple had just been introduced to schools and there were lots of advancements. Word processing programs were still in their infancy as well and I used a Commodore 64 for a few years, until I finally got my first "IBM Compatible" back in '92. Back then, Windows 3.11 was the popular thing, so I got hooked on Microsoft stuff. These days that means using Word. It isn't perfect, but it is easy to use and tends to do a good job.

There have been times when I wrote things out by hand, but I then later have to go and type it in. Those days are pretty rare though. Now it is common to have a laptop and I can type faster than I can write. I have yet to find a really good speech to text program that I liked and was affordable. Then again, if I ever got one that spoke back to me with a voice like Katy Townsend (The Cheeky Scot), I might have a change of heart.