Halloween 2420

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Ens Nathan Ramius

Ens Nathan Ramius

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 572 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.11 @ 16:31 (04:31 PM)

== Open subplot for all Arty crew - sometime post-mission…

Ten Forward layout ==

=== NRC -  Lt.(JG) Liam McConnelly, M.D., Party Planner Extraordinaire, Suave Irish Gomez Addams ===

Everything had come together perfectly. The entire area was bedecked in Halloween decor, with plenty of blacks, oranges, and wispy whites. And it wasn’t just in the lounge either; even the corridors leading up were decorated too. Hand carved pumpkins sat atop tables and the bar, floating candles that were hung from the ceiling provided light, while an ankle level mist crawled along the floor to provide ambiance. Skulls, tombstones, and spiders were setup, along with creepy accoutrements from other cultures too: Andorian, Klingon, Nausicaan, and many more.

On the stage, several emitters were setup so that the holographic band could play any Halloween song conceivable for the crowd. Liam swayed slightly to the beat of the ‘Monster Mash’ as he put the finishing touches on the last table.

“Looks good Liam!” Bressin, dressed up like a werewolf, called out from near the bar where he placed a giant punch bowl down onto a table.

“Thanks. Ah, did you see who had William last?”

Liam had decided to take little William McKenna, dressed up as Pugsley, with him to do the decorating. The great thing about taking the wean with him wasn’t just that Eliana had time to herself in order to get her costume and makeup done. It was even better, as William simply ended up doing the circuit of being held by every interested person; passed around and coo’d over. If he got fussy, people made sure that the lad made his way back to Liam, where he got a bit of comfort before being pilfered by someone else.

“Last I saw, one of the Sandersons had him,” Bressin laughed as he walked back behind the bar.

There were already a few party goers arriving, dressed up in an assortment of attire. While the invitation had been for a costume party, it was noted that it would be just fine to come in uniform. That way, even people on duty could cycle through for a quick snack on a break. Though Liam did hope that the majority of people would dress up.

In that vein, McConnelly straightened his vest and purple-black smoking jacket before puffing up his black cravat just a bit. It felt a bit odd to have his hair slicked back, along with wearing some black eyeliner. However, when Liam committed to an outfit, he went full out. Everything he had researched showed Gomez Addams with a cigar, which McConnelly also dutifully replicated, sitting in his front pocket, unlit. Finally… a patch of black moustache rested above his top lip.

“Doc?” a familiar voice called out from across the room.

Tassa Zh’kol had done her own research for the Earth tradition of Halloween it seemed. The Andorian wore a leather cuirass and skirt gilded in brass trimmings, along with leather boots, bracers, shoulder pads and had some sort of hollow metal disc attached to a belt. Sticking up from behind her back was the hilt of a what was probably a sword, and that lead McConnelly to wonder whether the blade was real or not.

“Ah, Pugsley!” Liam cried out with a smile and ran up to grab William from Tassa’s grasp, who started giggling upon seeing him.

“All the food and refreshments are out now,” Tassa said with a smile.

“Lovely! Thank you. Ah… may I ask, who or what is your costume?” Liam asked, bouncing little William around absent mindedly.

“I tried to uncover what was appropriate for such a party. While there were a lot of monsters to choose from, many Andorian creatures would require a large costume. That’s when Whitby told me that I could dress up as a character if I wanted to instead, so I went with an Ancient Earth hero, Xena the warrior princess.”

The name didn’t ring any bells from any Greek or Roman mythology that Liam could remember, though his knowledge on such things wasn’t as broad; he’d spent too much time studying Latin instead.

“I’m sure you’ve nailed it,” he smiled to Zh’kol, who genuflected in response.

“Thanks Doc! Well, enjoy the party!”

“You too Tassa.”

== open tag and gentle reminder that mission posts come first until we are totes done :) ==

#2 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 628 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.11 @ 17:39 (05:39 PM)

To say that she was excited at the prospect of attending what should be the most spookiest and fun party of the quadrant, was a slight understatement, especially when this was the first time that her and Liam would be officially seen as a couple. Of course most people on the ship likely knew that they were in a relationship, given how fast gossip spread quicker than dilithium in the warp core. However that didn't really matter because she was proud to be Liam's girlfriend and for them to be seen together, even more so with the decision to bring William and just enjoy the festivities. 

Eliana was also impressed with the amount of planning that had gone into making it a night to remember, not to mention the fun they had in choosing costumes. She loved spooky movies and the Addams Family was definitely the perfect choice. So when Liam had gone ahead to finish setting everything up and had taken William with him, Eli had appreciated the gesture, so she could finish getting ready and at the same time knew that William would get spoiled by those helping Liam and those already in attendance. The extra time had also enabled Eli to get the wig just right, having dabbled with black hair a few months ago but unlike that moment of rebellion it wasn't permanent. Then of course came the figuring out how to walk without tripping over the bottom of her dress, as the last thing she wanted was to end up in Sickbay with a broken ankle. 

Potential disaster now averted in her replica of the dress Morticia had worn and loving how she looked, Eli had made her way towards the Crew Lounge, eager to see her Boys and friends and get the fun started. Pausing slightly with each step to take in every detail of the decorations and had to admit that Liam had outdone himself as she passed the pumpkins and other Halloween spookiness. Then as she reached the entrance, she stood for a moment, drinking it all in and found herself swaying slightly to the music and noted just how perfectly spooky it was. Eli was definitely in her element as she waved to those she knew, before spotting her Gomez and Pugsley nearby talking to Ziggy and made her way over to them.

" There's my favourite Boys and Hi Ziggy, love the costume".

== Tag Gomez ;) ==

#3 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.11 @ 22:19 (10:19 PM)

== Dual post for Beka Sydesh and Nat Okehampton. For reference, this is Nat here; https://images.app.g...QSATPEZjDh5SRi8==

The two roommates had gotten invites to the party early on, and both had decided to make the effort to go in costume. 

“I thought you hated Halloween?” Nat asked as she walked alongside Beka. “You called it a complete non-holiday, and lots of other names with that industrial turn of phrase of yours.” 

The brunette Security officer had put a spin on the classic witch hunter costume. Big buttoned-up black overcoat, crucifix on a chain around her neck, leather britches, calf boots. She was particularly fond of the traditional wide-brimmed hat with a buckle, and the repeating crossbow that was thrown over a shoulder. It worked just fine, and she had a series of bolts and stakes on belts that crossed her torso. 

“Yeah, well. I kinda did. But I’ve got reasons,” Beka replied with a grin. 

“Don’t tell me, this man of yours is going to be there,” Nat teased. “That would definitely explain why you’ve gone all-out.”

“Hey, if I’m going to do this, I’m going to do it properly,” she said.

Sydesh wore a fitted biker jacket, replete with studs and spikes down the sleeves and across the shoulders, over a low-cut black vinyl tank top with skeletal horses picked out in silver thread. Thigh-high black leather boots and a pair of tiny denim shorts, along with a chain wrapped around her right shoulder and another round her neck, completed the look. Her fiery red hair was tied back in an ornate French braid, and she’d gone for heavy eye make-up. 

The doctor had been inspired by a comic book character with a few twists. She’d designed everything herself especially and spent ages toying with the replicator patterns until she was happy. Even the particular shade of plum lipstick and nail varnish had been agonised over.

“I hope he likes what he sees. Because if not you’ve wasted at least a day and a half of your life,” Nat said with a smirk. “I still don’t get why you won’t tell me who he is, anyway…”

Beka shrugged, the chains clinking.

“Because it feels like I’m so close to making that breakthrough, y’know?” the redhead said. “We had our first date the other day and it was so special. I don’t want to rush it, I don’t want to do anything to jinx it. But this might finally be it. I might finally have a guy who’s as into me as I’m into him. And if he’s actually willing to show me off a little at this party… Yeah. You’ll need to bring me down off the ceiling.” 

The medical officer sighed happily. Alongside her, Okehampton made noises as if she was going to be sick, earning a sharp elbow in the ribs from her roommate before they both laughed as they walked in.

“Wow… Somebody’s put the time in here!” Beka exclaimed. “Look at this place! You wouldn’t believe it was the same crew lounge!” 

As she looked around, she saw they were amongst the first to arrive. She could see Eli in a slinky dress, with Liam McConnelly and young William, along with an Andorian in a warrior princess outfit that the redhead definitely approved of. 

Nat led the way to the bar, and was the first to order. 

“Can I have an ale please, a strong one?” the brunette asked. “And whatever the redheaded chaos machine here wants,” she added with an impish smile, knowing how much her roommate had taken to the nickname. 

“Yeah, just a cola for me thanks,” Beka replied. “I might try one of the cocktails or something later.” 

The server looked at her, and cocked his head. 

“You’re in that get-up, and all you want is a cola?” he said. 

Sydesh and Okehampton shared a look and a knowing grin, before the redhead looked the barman right in the eye. 

She tossed her head a certain way, and there was a searing flash of light before she appeared to catch fire. A burning skull leered back at the barman as flames raced down her body and lit up her clothes, all the skin she’d been showing gone and replaced by bone wreathed in fire.

The striking effect was enough to make the barman jump backwards and swear loudly.

“I said. A cola.” Her voice was suddenly deep enough for every syllable to sound like blocks of lead being knocked together. It had the desired effect though, as the drinks were prepared in record time before the barman made himself scarce. 

“What did you say this was?” Nat asked. 

“The Ghost Rider.” Beka’s voice was still being changed by the holo-emitters as she spoke. The main control circuit was in her neck chain, and there were emitters hidden in her jacket and in the tops of her boots. “A comic book character from the 20th century. I wish I could have brought the motorcycle in here but that might have been pushing my luck.”

“It’s… Very apt,” Nat replied. She laughed and shook her head. “This is the first time I’ve had a pint with a flaming skeleton.”

Beka tossed her head again, and the holo-emitters disengaged. There was a hiss, the virtual fires flickered and then she was back. 

“I couldn’t quite get the program to cope with eating and drinking, so I’ll have to change back for that,” she said. “But you know what, I’m quite happy with how it came together.”

“It’s very you,” Okehampton said with a grin. “No part of you is remotely capable of blending into the background. If your man gets here, he’ll certainly be able to find you.”

Sydesh made a face and took a sip of her drink.

== Open tags if anyone wants a drink! :) ==

#4 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2425 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.12 @ 15:16 (03:16 PM)

Tyra had learned very early on in her relationship that Thomas was never comfortable in parties where he couldn't hide behind the box and pips on his collar and that had only become more apparent since retiring. He went with her when he felt she needed the support -- a rarity as she flourished in social settings as she grew older -- or when he felt it was necessary but she didn't force him. She didn't need a man on her arm and was more than willing to wade into gatherings solo. Therefore, it had been no shock when Thomas had very quickly said 'no' to a Halloween gathering and, considering it would hardly be an appropriate setting for Evi, Tyra hadn't argued, feeling it would be a good bonding time for the two. However, that didn't mean she was going to the party without a suitable and pleasant date, allowing for a couple's costume that Thomas would never have agreed to.

As the turbolift dropped to the appropriate deck, she glanced over, chuckling slightly before reaching out to adjust the large spectacles perched on his nose. She, then, reached out to adjust the corresponding cap, though that awarded her an annoyed side eye and a slight huff, which reminded her greatly of Rachel and her teenaged attitude. However, he didn't say anything but then again, he never did.

When the turbolift yawned open, he paused to let her exit first as a gentleman should. They weren't alone on exit as Cera was standing there, her large sparkling hoop skirt practically engulfing her tiny frame, as she tapped what looked to be a wand against the palm of her hand. Her short blonde hair had somehow been twisted into an up-do that allowed for dangling earrings to be in full view. The elegant but very over the top dress plus all of the finer details reminded Tyra of one of the princesses in Evi's favorite books but it was the wand that was most telling in Tyra's mind.

"My fairy godmother, I presume?" she asked with a grin, blue eyes sparkling.

Cera grinned proudly at the correct guess. "Yes... and when you said that you'd found your Big Bad Wolf, I thought you meant that somehow you had found enough blackmail to twist Thomas into a costume," Cera gushed as she stepped forward, attempting to bend down even despite the confines of her large dress. "But this is better! Hello, Fen. Can you shake?" she asked, reaching out a hand, which was rewarded by a black paw being placed in her hand and an immediate expectation of a treat.

Fenris, the Groenendael belonging to Bryan Crawford but a frequent visitor of the Evi Crawford household, seemed satisfied with the ear scratch he received as a reward for showing one of his many tricks. Before Cera stood back up, she adjusted the grandma-esque nightcap that her scratching had displaced and gently booped the nose that the spectacles rested precariously on. "What great teeth you have, Grandma," Cera said with a laugh before standing up and giving the other half of the duo a once over.

"I see you didn't go with the short, short skirt and instead, went with the short-ish skirt. I'm a little disappointed -- my betting pool might not fair as well as hoped," Cera remarked with a slight sigh and a shrug. 

Tyra snorted before rolling her eyes. "With age comes the realization that sometimes, the imagination is far more effective than any reality...or as my mama would say, unless your gettin' paid, keep your *** out of it," she remarked with a laugh, patting her friend on the shoulder before leading Fen past her and towards the sound of the party.

As she moved, her long hooded, red cloak swirled and floated around her, the perfect illusion of mystery with each step. In one step, there was the slightest glimpse of tanned skin between where her boots ended just below her knee and where her skirt began on her thigh but it was gone before even the most astute of observers could truly mark it to memory. There was a black and red corset hidden underneath that occasionally peaked out with the right movement but it was never enough to leave the curves it created as anything more than the briefest of impression. Only her long red hair, partially hidden under the hood, her slightly darker than normal make-up that made her blue eyes seem bluer somehow and the bottom half of her boots were a constant visual.  And that was the beauty of it.  She loved this season, always had, but with maturity came the understanding that there was more fun to be had in the mystery than the blatant displays, which was evident in her rotation of costume choices. They piqued the imagination without showing her hand entirely and this year, with a few modifications, Little Red Riding Hood had joined her rotation, spurred by the fact that she couldn't turn down the goodest of dates. 

"No shield-maiden this year?" Brid asked as Tyra maneuvered past her, her hair blonde hair extravagant braided in the Viking style with the end of a peaking over her shoulder and the blade, no doubt, practically dragging on the floor due to her small stature.

Tyra grinned, remembering the band of Vikings from a Halloween during her years as COS. "Maybe next year. Or maybe Valkyries?" she asked, arching an eyebrow for added emphasis. The delighted grin from the Nord led her to believe she probably had just sealed her fate for the next year and that would be a challenging costume to add to her rotation. That was problem for 2421's Tyra, not her.

"Let's see if there's something Grandma can eat here, hmm? You'd like that wouldn't you?" Tyra asked, looking down at Fen and laughing slightly as he looked back up at her through Grandma's big glasses. "Hmmm yes, you are an improved date but don't go leaving me for the first cute girl that gives you an ear scratch, m'kay?" 

== Tag anyone! ==

#5 Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.13 @ 02:55 (02:55 AM)

The doors to the crew lounge opened, and a figure shuffled in. His feet weren’t entirely coming off the ground as he made his way forward, head held at an odd angle. His eyes were hooded, not focused well as he entered the party, and the low mist on the ground swirled as he passed through it, clinging to his ankles as he went through it.

He bumped into the younger Sanderson, barely acknowledging the tiny scientist, and continued on his way. Sanderson, for his part, was at first confused, and then let out a little scream and passed out. There was a small clatter as the scientist’s armor – he had, for some reason, decided to dress as a knight for the occasion – hit the ground, and an Andorian in a Xena costume bent to help him get up.

The man, for his part, either didn’t notice Sanderson’s collapse, or just didn’t care. He had a deathly green pallor as he kept shuffling through the room, and people moved out of his way as they looked at him confusedly.

Eventually, he hit the bar and threw an arm on it. The barkeep looked at him, a confused expression on his face. The man moaned, a word nearly impossible to decipher in the middle of it. “What?” the barkeep said, and the man simply moaned again. The barkeep nodded, and brought out a cup of coffee.

The man took a sip, and sighed contentedly. He set down the case he had been dragging, that had kept him from walking normally – the thing was heavier than it should’ve been – and had a seat. Benjamin Elias had been up for more than a day at this point, trying to put the finishing touches not only on some repairs they had been working on, but also a gift for Nathan – something that would supposedly work with the costume he was wearing, though he wasn’t entirely clear on that.

He unzipped his uniform jacket as the coffee’s warmth spread through him, helping to keep him moving when all he wanted to do was go back to his quarters and fall over. But he’d said he’d make an appearance, and so here he was.

Finishing off his cup, he turned to the barkeep and was rewarded swiftly with a second mug – a little larger this time, and a more robust one suitable for moving about the room if needed. He just inhaled the aroma for a moment, and then turned to look out into the room. He had to squint a bit against the green lighting that seemed to be washing the area he was in, and which was playing havoc with his mechanical eye, but he could still see well enough.

He noticed Liam and Eli across the room with little William, themed as the Addams Family – strangely appropriate, he thought – as well as an Andorian he thought was one of the security officers picking up Andy Sanderson off the floor. Guess he hit the bar too early, Benjamin thought, and kept scanning the room.

He saw Beka Sydesh at the bar – or at least he thought it was her. She was the right size and build, but considering she looked like a flaming skeleton, it was difficult to tell. At the far end of the room, he noticed the captain walk in, with Cera close behind. He couldn’t help but smile to see the pup with them, and tried to school himself from chuckling at the smaller woman’s costume. He gave them a wave and a smile, and took another drink from his coffee.

Just deliver the gift, he thought, and get back to your quarters. He hadn’t intended to come to the party – he’d wanted to give it to him earlier in the day, but time had gotten away from him and he hadn’t finished the thing until a half hour ago – so he was just here to meet with Nathan and leave. But he didn’t see his former roommate yet, which meant simply waiting to see what happened…

==Tag for whoever!==

Edited by Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias, Star Date 22010.13 @ 03:03 (03:03 AM).

#6 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.13 @ 15:11 (03:11 PM)

Both Nat and Beka had been idly watching to see who else was coming in, right up until Nat nudged her friend. 

“Hey look, captain’s here,” the Security officer said. 

There was an immediate flash of light as the doctor triggered her costume so she couldn’t be recognised. Nat looked at the flaming skull and shook her head. 

“Beka Sydesh, you total coward,” she said. “You’re the one that’s been lecturing me on how I shouldn’t be so worried about dealing with senior officers, and now you’re hiding from Captain Crawford!”

“Yeah, well.” Beka fiddled with the controls on the neck chain to turn off the voice synthesiser, and when she spoke again it was with her own voice. “I still don’t know if I did good or if I’m in the **** after the mission. Haven’t been able to catch up with Dr Tyrol or anyone else. And although I’d love to be put out of my misery, it’s not even remotely fair to ask that of anyone at a party. So I’ll settle for hiding in plain sight.”

Okehampton sighed, and rested her head in her hand. 

“I still can’t figure you out,” the brunette said. “You charged round that asteroid like a force of nature. If even half of what you said you did in that field hospital is true, then there’s no way you’re in trouble. But here you are now, wearing the most over-the-top costume, and this is the time you decide to be insecure? You can’t hide. It’s way too late.” She shook her head again. “There’s a couple of guys from my shift just showed up, I’m going to see how they are. You, sort yourself out, OK? Channel the same confidence that can pull off that top and those shorts. And your new friend will be putty in your hands.” 

There was an awkward moment as Nat tried to find a part of Beka that wasn’t currently spikes or flames, before patting her on the back and walking away.

The doctor tossed her head to turn the holo-effects off long enough to drain her drink and ask for another, before she triggered them again.

I hate when she’s right. Really, really hate when she’s right. But she is. The shoulders of her burning jacket rose and fell as Beka sighed. OK. I cannot let him see me like this when he gets here. So, time to be a big girl and take some of the medicine I’m due.

The doctor looked around. She still wasn’t feeling brave enough to risk going near Tyra, especially with Cera Morgan there too. Eli was having some well earned family time. And she didn’t really recognise anyone else, until Elias arrived and was fed coffee. 

OK. There’s at least one bridge I can try and mend. 

Beka picked up the glass of cola and walked round the bar to where the engineer stood. After a second’s thought she turned the theatrics off, the flames flickering and dying before she faced him as herself. 

“Hey. Nice zombie outfit. Did you get any help with the make-up?” the redhead teased gently, a mischievous grin on her lips. “I didn’t really get a chance to say it over on the Talaxian rock, but thanks for being the bigger man. And I’m sorry for what I did, you really didn't deserve that. Last time I whistle in public, for definite. I’d offer to buy you a drink, but I get the feeling you’re well covered there…”

== Tag Elias! ==

Edited by Mid Beka Sydesh, Star Date 22010.13 @ 15:14 (03:14 PM).

#7 Mid Robin Mayfair

Mid Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.13 @ 16:43 (04:43 PM)

The doors to the lounge slid open and an ethereal figure almost glided in. Deathly pale and wearing a tattered and moth-eaten wedding dress with a veil pulled over her face, she was eerie enough. But making the effect even more bizarre was that the small woman’s shape was translucent, actually see-through. A small cloud of mist (barely visible in the holographic mist that was already swirling) pooled and drifted at her feet and her ghostly form gave off wisps of the same mist with every movement. Her long white hair swirled as if in an unfelt breeze, fading into the same mist at the ends. 

Am I late? Robin asked herself. There were already quite a few crew members here. She saw Beka standing next to the bar with her roommate, wearing a spiked biker jacket. Eli was present, dressed as Morticia Addams, along with Doctor McConnelly, dressed as Gomez. There were some other crew she was familiar with, and some she wasn’t. And then there was the Captain, dressed in a flowing red cloak, with a large dog that completed the Red Riding Hood look perfectly. 

It had taken every bit of her free time in the last week to get this costume together. She’d called in a favor with the Tellarite Engineer Bharr, but he’d been enthusiastic when she told him her idea. Maybe too enthusiastic. She’d just wanted a misty effect. It was his idea to modify the old Isolation Suit technology and actually make the young nurse translucent. “It’ll be easy enough, girlie,” he’d said in his rough voice. “All I have to do is tweak the emitter so that it doesn’t make you fully invisible, and I can add whatever other effects you want.” The emitter itself was under her dress, wrapped around her waist with the the power pack in the small of her back. It had been pre-programmed with several effects that Robin could activate with a series of taps on the gaudy diamond wedding ring she wore. Bharr had wanted to work in an anti-grav field to allow Robin to actually float, but she had vetoed it. The effect was already complicated enough, and the holo generator was uncomfortable. “Give me enough time, girlie,” Bharr had laughed, “and I could rig something up that would let you walk through walls.” She wasn’t sure if he was telling the truth. He did come across as something of a mad scientist at times.

Her thoughts were interrupted as Beka’s head suddenly caught fire. Robin almost yelped, but her friend’s head was replaced by a flaming skull almost immediately. Oh, more holo-technology. That’s a really cool effect. Very Beka. The nurse didn’t get the reference or know the character of Ghost Rider, but it wasn’t necessary, because how could you not be impressed by someone with a flaming skull for a head? 

Feeling more confident than she had at the last “party” she had attended, Robin drifted towards the bar. She kept her movements graceful and ghostly, trying to make it seem like her feet weren’t really touching the deck (an effect helped by the wedding dress). By the time she had gotten there Beka had already doused her head and gone over to talk to Lt. Elias, the Chief Engineer. The nurse wasn’t about to interrupt; Beka was moving with purpose, not just going up to someone for idle party conversation. 

An apology? Good for you, Beka.

== Tags ==

#8 Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.14 @ 03:23 (03:23 AM)

He was only halfway through his mug when he saw Sydesh walking his way. He quickly downed another mouthful of it, hoping that the caffeine would keep him coherent during the conversation he was sure was coming. I'd only meant to be a delivery boy this time, he thought, but knew that if he hadn't wanted to talk, he'd have just met Nathan somewhere else rather than actually coming to the party.

As she rounded the bar, the first thing Benjamin noticed was that her shorts were barely able to qualify for the name, being more accurately a small strip of denim. He remembered Mary trying to go out in a similar outfit when she was a teenager - minus the biker leather, spikes, and holography, obviously - and he'd done the absolute worst thing he could think of for her.

He'd taken her to the center of town, to the Drowned Canary. He'd felt bad subjecting her to the hands and leers of the lechers that crowded the bar - despite discreetly dealing with them afterwards - but the stares from the older men had been enough to do the trick. She'd gotten the hint and rethought her wardrobe, even if he'd still never gotten her to stop being so reckless.

The fact that Beka was about the same age as his sister didn't help anything, and he stared over the bar until she actually got to the bar and squared up to him. He turned to face her, glad she'd turned off the flaming skull as she got there. “Hey. Nice zombie outfit," she said, which caught him off guard. "Did you get any help with the make-up?”

His head quirked a bit to the side as he tried to figure out what she meant, before realizing what he must have looked like walking in without the coffee. He chuckled along with her for a moment before firing back "You try working for... what time is it?" He looked at the clock over the bar before finishing, "You try working 30 hours straight and see how you look."

She was grinning as she continued on, “I didn’t really get a chance to say it over on the Talaxian rock, but thanks for being the bigger man. And I’m sorry for what I did, you really didn't deserve that. Last time I whistle in public, for definite. I’d offer to buy you a drink, but I get the feeling you’re well covered there…”

He took a second to sip from his coffee as she finished speaking while he considered his words. For a day or so, he'd considered asking Cera what she was going to do in retribution for The Incident, as the rumor mill had begun referring to it, but had decided against it. Less I know, he thought, the less I can testify to in a court of law. "Not a problem," he finally said with a smile. "You didn't know better, after all. Just remember that this isn't like the Academy - people are going to be hanging around for a long time, and any enemies you make early aren't going to go anywhere."

Another quicker sip and he continued on. "To be honest, I've been trying to cut back the drinking anyway, but definitely didn't plan on any tonight. The coffee is here just to keep me vertical until Nathan gets here. Just need a word with him and then I'm off to Hypnos' demesne." He hooked a foot around the case, pushing it a little closer to the barstool and keeping it close. "So how have you been? Seems like you've been keeping busy, at least."

==Tag Sydesh!==

#9 Ens Nathan Ramius

Ens Nathan Ramius

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 572 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.15 @ 03:00 (03:00 AM)

== NRC – Liam McConnelly, M.D. / Gomez Addams ==

" There's my favourite Boys and Hi Ziggy, love the costume".

“Tish!” Liam exclaimed while turning, and then upon seeing Ella dressed up, he feigned a near-swoon, “Cara mia!

Without hesitation, he slid over and gave young William back to Ziggy for a moment, before careening towards Ella. With some flair and obviously intentioned melodrama, he reached for her hand,

“Una notte oscura illuminata,” Liam kissed her hand, reciting the phrase he’d memorized for just this moment.

“Brilli come la luna,” the wrist was kissed next, as he waggled his eyebrows.

“E tu sei le mie stelle!” Liam’s lips had made it to Ella’s forearm before Ziggy made a little coughing noise.

At that interruption, he threw an arm around Eliana’s hip and brought her into him. Now together, he posed with her, giving that truly Addams-esque vibe to the moment. Liam watched as Tassa couldn’t help but give a little grin even if she shook her head at it all. He wasn’t sure exactly what position the Andorian culture took on public displays of affection, but Liam didn’t mind one bit. It was, after all, very much in character for Morticia and Gomez Addams; which gave them some leeway for PDA, at least in McConnelly’s mind.

“You two are cute together. Almost sickeningly so as I consider my own relationship status,” Ziggy now smiled fully, handing William back to the couple, “on that note, I need a drink. Have a good night you two.”

“Bye Xena! Enjoy the party! Let us know if we can help you find your Gabrielle!” Liam called after Zh’kol as she left them, causing the Andorian to turn her head slightly, while the antennae and their motions spoke all the words that need not be said.

After a brief laugh, Liam turned back to Eliana, and basked in her presence,

“Ella, you are a stunner. I need to show you off to everyone here. Whom first do you think?”

Liam let the question hang in the air, as his smile grew with each passing moment; his eyes firmly locked on her. Finally, he whispered, just loud enough for Eliana’s ears,

Cara bella…”

== tag Ella! ==

#10 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 628 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.15 @ 08:57 (08:57 AM)

The minute that Liam realised that she was there, never failed to make Eliana smile at his reaction or the way he feigned swooning, before speaking to her in Italian. She knew that he had taken his role as Gomez Addams seriously, not that she expected anything less from the man she loved, especially when he it came to showing his affection and love for her. That was something she could never tire of, considering how he always made her and William his priority when off duty and she was finally enjoying the kind of relationship, that she had always wanted. 

Also there was just something about the way he continued to speak Italian to her, that sent a shiver along her spine, after he had handed William over to Ziggy and moved closer to take hold of her hand. Even the kisses that followed between his words, had a similar effect on his Morticia and she didn't care who saw this public display of affection. Besides it was very fitting for the costumes and characters that they had chosen for the party. Not to mention the fact that this was the first time that her and Liam could be seen officially, rather than remaining under the radar and just talking about each other. Even when he stopped at her forearm, following the slight cough from Ziggy, Eli didn't feel embarrassed and simply grinned at her friend as Liam then put his arm around her hip and pulled her to him.

When Ziggy then spoke about them being cute together and comparing them to her own relationship status, Eli appreciated the sentiment as William was then handed back to them, so Ziggy could get a drink. " Thanks Xena and have fun" Eli added, after Liam had spoken to her fellow security officer and grinned at her response.

For a moment or several, Eli was content to be in Liam's embrace, holding a happy and vocal William until Liam gave her his full attention and complimented her. That made her smile, especially when he revealed that he wanted to show her off to everyone and asked who they should approach first. A quick scan of the room, revealed several possibilities from Beka who was speaking to Ben, the Captain who had arrived with Cera and if she wasn't mistaken Fenn dressed as the Grandmother from Little Red Riding Hood, as well as Robin.

However she then became distracted by the look he gave her and the words that he whispered, which sent another shiver through her, before she responded. " Il mio amore" she whispered back, letting it linger, until she spoke a little louder in order to answer his question.

" I see that Beka is talking to Ben, which leaves the Captain or Robin, so up to you bell'umo".

== Tag Liam ==

#11 Cdr Jennifer Braggins

Cdr Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1567 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.15 @ 13:33 (01:33 PM)

While some of the crew might have gone a little overboard with the creativity by integrating holoprojectors into their costumes, Jenny had resorted to the tried and tested methods used in Halloween parties of old - good, old-fashioned makeup. Blue-grey body paint covered every exposed inch of her body, concealing her myriad scars and tattoos, with further body paint in black marking out lines where body parts had been stitched together. A handcrafted dress (which was shorter than she was comfortable with but was accurate to the character) and shoes in a patchwork of several colours went over the top, and the ensemble had been topped with red hair dye. Bryan, graciously loaned by Captain Colso for the evening (after all, who could deny a request from a woman holding the Star Fleet Medal of Honour to visit with her husband for a few hours), was dressed in a fine black suit with white pinstripes and a tie that looked more like a spiky Elizabethan ruff. A bald cap hid his hair and, like Jenny, he'd liberally applied body paint - white this time except around his eyes and mouth to give the impression of a more skeletal appearance.

It had taken longer to get ready than they'd intended to actually spend at the party, but in Jenny's mind it had been worth it - this was their first real social occasion since Carly had been born (the Medal of Honour ceremony was professional not social), and they at least had to make an appearance. The baby was in the care of one of Cera's minions, and they had the whole night to themselves (a rarity for new parents, especially those assigned to different ships).

As they entered Ten Forward, Jenny's eyes immediately darted around for a familiar and friendly face; and instead fell upon the large and shaggy form of Fenn (wearing a bonnet and spectacles) sauntering across the room to greet his owner. Having given Bryan and Jenny an affectionate sniff of greeting and received his obligatory ear scritches (which necessitated readjusting the bonnet again), Fenn wandered back over to the red-cloaked Tyra, who was standing beside...Cera as The Fairy Godmother? It actually made a great deal of sense given that she was the ship's Quartermaster and matchmaker - a Yenta with unlimited resources.

Approaching her sister-in-law, Jenny nabbed a drink from a passing waiter, likely one of Cera's minions who had drawn her ire in some way, and gave the older woman a smile.

"What? No basket of treats for grandma?"

#12 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.15 @ 23:43 (11:43 PM)

There was a distinct feeling of relief when Benjamin made it clear he wasn’t going to hold things against Beka. Given that they seemed to be inhabiting the same social circles now, with Eli and Nathan, it could have been really awkward if the Chief Engineer had taken offence. 

"Not a problem," he finally said with a smile. "You didn't know better, after all. Just remember that this isn't like the Academy - people are going to be hanging around for a long time, and any enemies you make early aren't going to go anywhere."

The doctor sighed. 

“Yeah, I know. Some things, I feel like I’m a lot older than I am. Others, it’s the other way and I have so much to learn,” she said. “I know it, I will get better. That, or I get shot by someone senior for pushing my luck too far. Probably 50/50 as to which way it goes,” she joked, her near-ever present grin in place.

"So how have you been? Seems like you've been keeping busy, at least."

That brought a chuckle from Sydesh.

“Yeah, it’s certainly been a fraught few days,” she replied. “I think I clocked nearly 28 hours that day we spent over on the asteroid. My specialties are emergency medicine and trauma surgery, so that’s an awful lot of standing around when things are going right, and then just straight flat out crazy when things go wrong. Racked up my first 17 operations in Star Fleet in those 28 hours, everything from removing girders and glass from people to rebuilding shoulders and knees. It was really hard, and I feel really guilty for saying this, but… I feel like I earned the uniform, if that makes sense? Graduating the Academy just means you’re book-smart. Surviving that first real test is a proper blooding, if a surgeon can use that word.” 

Beka took a sip of her drink. She’d been itching for her chance to prove her mettle and the Talaxian field hospital had certainly provided her that chance. OK, she’d proved to be a below-average comms officer, but she felt that she’d certainly started to show that she was worth persevering with as a medical officer.

“Once we got back, couple of days off were desperately needed,” she added. “Finally got the chance to record my exam for my taekwon-do black belt, so hopefully that comes back soon. Beyond that, it’s just been calming down. Bless her, Eli McKenna has taken me under her wing. She’s a saint. She’s so patient, and I’ve learned a lot from her already. Although in hindsight, I should have gotten her to show me pictures of you and Lt Morgan nice and early…”

It wouldn’t be entirely true to say that Sydesh had gotten her confidence back completely, but she felt comfortable enough to risk the joke. She had an extremely thick skin when the jokes were at her expense, which was handy because she certainly made enough of her own to need it. And the apparently infamous whistle was fair game if Elias wanted to rib her about it. 

Do I admit to why I’m stood here? Or just straight-bat it and wait it out? If he’s half as close to Nathan as Eli said he was, then he probably knows about me anyway. Or if anyone spotted us the other night, word will have gotten back to Cera, and then probably to Benjamin too… All the same. I really, really don’t want to jinx anything. It’s not my place to say something if Nathan hasn’t. 

“So can you talk about what’s in the box?” Beka asked. “Tell me to **** off if you want, I can take it! But I’ve heard a lot about your gun-making exploits, from Eli and Nathan, and even my roommate. She has an unhealthy fascination with guns. You’re like her idol for that.”

The grin still hadn’t faded. The doctor risked a look around, seeing Robin nearby and nodding in greeting to her purple-haired friend. 

Nice! Someone else who’s raided the holographic box of tricks she thought. And that’s Jenny here as well… Another one with family time. Although I do want to catch her at some point. Just have to pick my moment with more tact than I usually manage.

== Back atcha! ==

#13 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2425 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.16 @ 01:47 (01:47 AM)

== Lieutenant Cera Morgan, Party Planner Extraordinaire ==

When Cera had been approached about helping plan a Halloween party, she hadn't even hesitated to say 'yes' and jump in head first. She lived for bringing parties with all of their intricate details to life and had taken a great amount of enjoyment out of curating a drink and food menu that was suitably in the spirit of the Terran holiday. It had been one of the holidays that she had enjoyed most after coming to Earth as a child upon her father's assignment to Earth, partially because it was a day where being different was celebrated and even desired. In fact, the dark abyss that counted for her eyes had come in very handy the year that she had decided to dress up as a demon but she'd found that such a dark costume, despite it fitting with her eyes, wasn't for her.  Or maybe, it hadn't been the darkness but more the up front display of it that just didn't meld with her personality. Then again, being the Fairy Godmother was just as on the nose but perfectly so.

As people had trickled in, she had glided through the gathering with dark eyes shifting over the crowd carefully. It was always hard for her to entirely block out the emotions of a gathering but she found that the little tickles of emotion helped her pinpoint problems that needed to be headed off. That intuition, in addition to her vast knowledge of most things occurring on the Artemis, meant she was very good at finding problems as they developed and nipping them in the bud before it ever became anything of interest. For instance, she knew for a fact that Katelyn Murphy and Mariula Conchi, former best friends and unfortunately, current roommates, were fighting over Hunter Jerut. A little birdy had told her that Mari had won the particular war, which seemed to be confirmed by the fact that Mari and Hunter had walked in together. Fortunately, she had been able to steer Katelyn away from the entrance moments before the two appeared, postponing what would inevitably be a very uncomfortable confrontation. She had already passed word to the bar staff to water down Katelyn's drinks and had numerous safeguards in place to keep the parties separate for as long as possible.

And usually, when it came to these parties, that was how her night was spent. It was like a symphony with many, many moving parts and she was the conductor tasked with making certain that they blended together in harmony. She knew who needed to be watched at the bar and cut off early. She knew who didn't need to be near who and conversely, she knew who should certainly run to who. She knew who needed to be handed water glasses in between drinks or casually handed a plate of food because whiskey just didn't go well on an empty stomach. Some might say she was the house mother but she preferred to think of herself as an older sister, trying to mitigate mistakes made while also understanding that sometimes lessons were learned the hard way or while leaning over the toilet after too many tequila shots.

It had been luck that Tyra had stepped off the turbolift at just the right time, allowing Cera a smooth getaway from Klous Berta, a Bolian scientist, that seemed to have mistaken Cera's friendliness for something more. It happened from time to time but it was exasperating to say the least, adding one more element that she needed to be aware of tonight. Fortunately, Tyra was the perfect diversion as there were numerous crewmembers, Klous included, who found her too intimidating to approach. It just meant that Cera would need to keep a constant awareness of where the redhead was for her own purposes and not just to make sure that there was always a drink in her hand. However, with Klous seemingly distracted by another chatty scientist dressed up as an unoriginal Albert Einstein, Cera had been able to usher Tyra into the room before disappearing into the crowd again.

She briefly waved and smiled as she brushed past Liam and Eli with their cutest of accessories. She was impressed with the array of costumes so far; she'd seen some interesting uses of holographic tech with a ghostly girl that she believed was one of their nurses and then, a very over the top display of flaming skulls from another member of the medical staff. It almost made her think that medical was attempting to compensate for something but honestly, she didn't want to insult the very unique effect of near invisibility by making such a wide sweeping assessment. No, it was just the skulls that seemed to be an over compensation but given that she had seen who was behind them, she wasn't shocked. Someone like her, hovering on the border of bully and just general ***,  was usually attempting to cover up some perceived flaw and she felt that, based on other stories she had heard, the assessment was likely accurate. Then, there were the more traditional costumes such as the witch hovering near the punch bowl, the werewolf knocking back beers like they were water -- she'd need to keep an eye on that-- or Jenny and Bryan as... well, she knew they were from that strange Christmas/Halloween movie. It was cute all the same.

And then, there was Ben sitting at the bar, in costume without meaning to be in costume. She'd seen him walk in with case a few minutes earlier, not that she'd admit to having a sixth sense when it came to him, but she hadn't seen that he had headed for the bar. With as exhausted as he appeared and obviously felt, he hardly needed to be drinking, even if she felt his liver had enough experience to process the alcohol intact of four average men. She sighed slightly, her dark eyes darting around the area once more as she gauged whether she had enough wiggle room to take a few moments to deal with what would likely be a stubborn patient.

She was part way across the room when she saw Flaming Skulls decide to approach Elias, as if she needed another conquest out of the Artemis crew. Or at least, that's what the rumor mill had been whispering about. Any sympathy that Cera had harbored for Ramius' previous entanglement and its unfortunate end -- only a rumor but seemingly accurate based on his behavior -- had evaporated as soon as that whisper had reached her ears. Rebounds were expected, especially with men who historically made bad decisions, but assuming the rumor was correct, it strongly suggested that Ramius' taste in women, specifically tasteless doctors, was just as horrific as his abilities to make good professional decision.

Oh honey... you are barking up the wrong tree. He is oh so unavailable emotionally and it is ever so delightful... she thought with an internal laugh that almost felt like cackle to her brain.

It was amazing how perceptive her staff was. She hadn't even reached the empty spot on the other side of Ben before the bartender was pouring a lovely, dark red glass of wine from her favorite vineyard, placing it perfectly on the empty spot of the bar as if he had known exactly where she was going. Her smile was wide and warm as one arm came to rest on the bar and the other reached for the glass, her long fingers wrapping around the stem and pulling it towards her. "Do you remember what I told you earlier?" she asked, her dark eyes looking at the bartender.

"About Red? Yes, Marcus is making an old fashioned right now and we will make sure to keep them going," he said with a seriousness that belonged in a situation with far more gravity than whether the captain had a drink her hand. Then again, most knew how particular she was about her drinks, though she wasn't incredibly picky about the quality of the old fashioned, just that one was in her hand.

With those important instructions confirmed, her dark eyes swept to the side. There was a tiny crinkle in the corner of her lip as she regarded Elias and registered the fact that he looked even worse than he had from a distance. Fortunately, he wasn't drinking alcohol, unless those were Irish coffees. That crinkle disappeared into what was a very neutral, polite expression as she regarded Sydesh, though she did give a slight head nod. Sydesh might have proven herself as a capable doctor in treating Evi but she had also proven herself to be someone that Cera didn't feel was worth her time, which was saying something. There were very few people on Artemis that she wrote off entirely and that was not due to a lack of boorish asses. However, most of them had, at least, some redeeming qualities and usually showed those before revealing their less stellar aspects. Sydesh hadn't had enough common sense to arrange her antics in that order and it had been noticed by quite a few.

I guess we know what body part Ramius is supposedly thinking with... makes a lot of sense actually, she mentally noted, even as she made a second note to not work too hard to confirm that rumor. After all, she quite liked Nathan, had a soft spot for him even when Tyra had been on the war path for his head, but frankly, she wasn't sure she could stomach the knowledge that he'd stooped that low, not that Price had been overly impressive either.

"You look like crap," she told Ben bluntly, her eyebrow arched slightly. She let go of her glass of wine to place a hand on his shoulder. "If you're really dedicated to staying here, you need to come on. I have something that will help you look a little less like death warmed over and frankly.... you need a costume because coming as yourself is beyond terrifying and not in a good way."

== Tag Elias and Sydesh! ==

#14 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2425 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.16 @ 03:11 (03:11 AM)

As Tyra stepped into the room, it was impossible to miss the change in energy that her presence brought and it brought into strong perspective the contrast she had been considering over the past few months. When she had captained the Gettysburg and the Avenger before her, these gatherings had been without that subtle shift and despite her frustration with the unique challenges that came with a crew like the Avenger's, they had been a family, forged in the fires of Hell and hammered into an unbreakable steel. They had survived wars, had walked through a void of confusion with no one but each other to trust and they had come out the other side as a united force to be reckoned with. Events such as these had been almost like family reunions, allowing a reprieve from the mantles they each wore and for them to just be. Even she, despite unquestionably being the captain in uniform, had been nothing more than 'Tyra' in those moments, surrounded by close friends and family.

However, times changed and people drifted, whether by choice or the winds of Fate. This was not that family, despite there still being remnants present and still gravitating towards each other. By the end of the night, there would usually be small bubbles of them sharing drinks and war stories but in these early moments, they were separated by the way they greeted Tyra, saying her name, smiling warmly and offering drinks as if they were long lost friends. It was a sharp contrast to the way the youngest of officers stiffened with just a glance in her direction but she didn't take it personally. After all, she remembered being the daughter of a captain, watching his crew be warm and affectionate with her but formal with him, and she remembered going through that transition herself. Hell, she remembered being a midshipman afraid that, if Dars Syntranos even looked at her, it was because she had done something wrong and she had vowed to make sure that she didn't only talk to her youngest officers when they had screwed up. She usually gave them some time to let their guard down before doing so but if she could get even one or two of them to realize she wasn't going to necessarily bite their head off, she'd call it a victory.

Of course, some of them, like Midshipman Sydesh who had made a poor attempt at hiding behind a very in your face holographic display, likely thought they had screwed up and they weren't entirely wrong. However, if the last few missions had taught her anything, it was that every midshipman coming out of the Academy was an absolute idiot, whether due to lower entrance standards or the Academy's belief that everyone was a winner. None of them had any discipline, none of them put team before self and none of them had even a concept of military procedure and why it was necessary, which meant building them into actually competent officers rested on the receiving ship's shoulders. And unless they nearly go someone killed, she tended to leave the reprimanding to Jenny or, in this instance, Jas and Coleman. She had learned her lesson on getting too involved with Ramius and while he was making progress -- slow albeit --, she knew that getting that invested regularly would burn her out. As such, she was trying out a new approach -- don't get too attached until the midshipman become ensigns and the only way they were going to make ensign was if they proved that they had swallowed their pride and accepted they didn't know ****.

None of us know ****... she mused, having been lost enough in her thoughts that she hadn't even noticed the drink that had been placed into her hand at some point. Or maybe, it was some sort of witch craft. It would explained why Fen hadn't even made a noise at its appearance, though she had found that, despite his wolf like appearance, Fen wasn't the greatest of guard dogs. 

Fen also wasn't the best of guide dogs either, allowing Tyra to almost stumble into a rather phantom-like figure as she considered the glass in her hand. It was only the fact that Fen had come to an abrupt stop on the leash, pulling it tight, that caused Tyra to pause and look up, just in time to avoid spilling her mystery drink all of one of those young officers she had been musing over, Midshipman Mayfair.

"Oh! I am so sorry!" she exclaimed before pausing, blue eyes dropping down to take in the whisping mist effect along with the translucent effect. Logically, Tyra understood it was a holographic effect, much like the one that Sydesh had used to hide behind upon her entrance, but it was extremely compelling, obviously taking a great deal of work. It was enough to clearly confuse Fen, who had sat back on his hunches with his ears twitching as he tried to compare what he smelled -- a person -- to what he saw -- not a person. 

"Wow... that is impressive. How much did it cost in bribes to get the engineers to help calibrate that?" she asked even as she glanced down to make sure that Fen was working through his obvious confusion and not succumbing to any anxiety. 

== Tag Mayfair! ==

#15 Mid Robin Mayfair

Mid Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.16 @ 13:13 (01:13 PM)

The spirit of the dead bride drifted to the bar, leaving terror in her wake. Misery followed her, clinging like the mists that covered a forgotten grave. She spoke with the thin, echoing voice of a spirit longing for the pleasures of life, her words filled with sorrow as she addressed the mortal at the bar. 

"Can I get a Cherry Coke please?"

Robin had been beyond happy at how the whole costume had turned out, but the voice effects were especially good. The holographic field added an echo to her voice that sounded like the inside of a tomb, not overly pronounced but just enough to be unsettling. She hoped. As her soda arrived she picked it up, the glass becoming translucent as the holo field surrounded it, and took a drink. 

Mingle, Robin. This is a party, a real party, and this time you actually know some of these people. I'll have to go say hi to Eli and see how Beka is doing... well, after she's done making amends. And go meet some others. It's a big crew. 

The young nurse was about to turn from the bar and see who she could haunt when someone bumped into her from behind. She managed to not spill her drink, though it was a close thing. 

"Oh! I am so sorry!" Captain Crawford exclaimed. 

Am I going to get bumped into by every commanding officer I have for the rest of my career? Robin wondered, more amused than shocked. Jenny had bumped into her in a similar manner during the wake, months ago. Or maybe I need to start paying more attention to my surroundings. 

Still, she wasn't shell shocked like she was back then. It had been over two months, and since then she'd settled in to the Artemis nicely, or at least didn't feel the same anxiety. When she'd come aboard it had been in the desperate preparation for the battle with the Borg, and the crew wasn't under any illusions about their chances. That scared and defensive Middie Augment was being replaced by a more confident officer, though there was still a long road ahead. The crew had accepted her, and she wasn't getting hostile looks and hearing quietly-spoken sneering comments made behind her back. In the six years at the Academy she'd never told any of those cadets that she could hear every word they said. 

"Wow... that is impressive. How much did it cost in bribes to get the engineers to help calibrate that?" Tyra asked, glancing down at her dog to make sure the effects weren't overwhelming. 

The hollow, grave-like voice drifted out "Oh, hi Ca... Tyra." Realizing she had her voice effects enabled and not wanting to scare Fen, she made a tap-tap-tap-pause-tap pattern with her thumb on the wedding ring, disabling them so she could speak with her normal voice. She held a hand out to Fen so he could sniff it. They'd met on the holodeck not too long ago when he was playing with Jenny's thunder wolf. "Hi Fen!" she said, her voice having returned to normal. 

"Thanks. Crewman Bharr did the holographic effects. I've been helping him adjust to his new hand after he lost his real one during the Borg battle. But I think he was more enthusiastic than I was. He kept proposing more effects, and I had to stop him." 

Like adding subsonics to the sound filter to actually cause a low-level fear reaction in humanoids. What was he thinking? There was no way I was going to let that happen. It's a party, fergawd'ssake. Note to self: make sure Bharr never attends a costume party.  

"I like your costume. Red Riding Hood looks like she bites back." 

Wait, was that inappropriate? Nah. 

"How's Evie doing?"

== Tag Tyra ==

#16 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1209 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22010.16 @ 19:32 (07:32 PM)

Ed stared at his reflection in the mirror of his quarters. The first two layers looked okay. White face paint then black face paint around the eyes. He’d been going for Terran zombie scientist, but zombies didn’t smile. He liked to smile, especially when he was in good humour. There was another option. It took a bit of searching to find a suit he liked the look of.

There was a shirt with blue hexagons, a waistcoat which was green at the front and on the back a similar shade of blue as the shirt. The tie was a dark green and patterned. The trousers were a shade of purple and the shoes were a similar shade. There was a coat, but Ed decided he’d be warm enough, He muddied up the edge of the black face paint around the eyes, With some red face paint he added a smile which ran from below one cheek to below the other cheek.

Ed finished off the look by dying his hair mostly green. He skipped the fake scars. Once dressed the whole look made him smile. Once he’d tidied up he wandered down to the party. He wondered who had thought of having a Halloween party. It was more social than symbolic and he liked that. He had terrible timing when it came to social stuff. He got a few odd looks as he make his way to the crew lounge, but he was hopeful that he hadn’t been the oddest sight.

Ed resisted the urge to laugh out loud as he entered the lounge. He saw Red Riding Hood, somebody’s pet dressed as Grandma, Ghost Rider, a corpse bride and some he wasn’t too sure about. The efforts appeared to range from high tech to the something a little more traditional. He hoped every had had fun getting dressed up. He wandered over to the bar.

“Cranberry juice and tonic water, please.”

The evening had only just started so it would be sensible to start slow. He could save the hard stuff for much later. It would be nice to be able to remember some of the conversations he had tonight. Ed might even get to have that chat with Jenny. He’d be happy enough to know that knowing everything about Jennifer Braggins didn’t matter, but it really bugged him every time she called him Ed. They hadn’t really gotten to know each other. Maybe now would be an opportunity to correct that.

#17 Ens Nathan Ramius

Ens Nathan Ramius

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 572 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.17 @ 16:46 (04:46 PM)

== Morning before the Halloween Party ==

Having finished his morning workout and subsequent shower, Nathan rushed back into his room in order to check on the prop that was sitting on his desk. It was large. Hefty. And looked absolutely perfect.  He had done so much research on the character, and pulled knowledge from many, many sources in order to get everything together in time; which was partially his fault, as Ramius couldn’t quite decide who or what to go as. However, certain… aspects had changed, also causing him to shift his ideas in other directions.

“Let’s see, let’s see, let’s see!” he said excitedly, rubbing his hands together.

The prop was rather large, created to look like a giant fist sculpted from rock, colored in a reddish black hue. In order to get the proper look and feel, plus being able to manipulate it like a hand would, there would need to be a mix of some super cool foam, viscoelastics, paint, and other relatively exotic materials. There had been only one person that Nathan knew who had that kind of knowledge, and thankfully, that person was his best friend and Chief Engineer. Ben had offered to help with everything, which Nathan had accepted, but was adamant to do the actual work, mixing, and whatever else so that he could learn for himself.

Like a kid on their birthday, picking up a present for the first time, Nathan grabbed onto the thing and went to put it on in order to test it out. Immediately, he knew, something was wrong. Paint slathered off the thing, while bits and chunks fell off. Long stretches of the viscoelastic pulled taut and thin before snapping, as foam crumbled out.

“No no no no no no!

Placing it down, he desperately tried to catch as much of the material as possible and put it back. Even as it started resting on the surface of the desk, it continued to crumble. Thoughts swirled around in his head as panic gripped his heart. Nathan wondered if he had put too much of one material over another. Had it not cured long enough? Was it supposed to be elevated when curing to allow air flow? There were so many potentialities, but Ramius had thought them all accounted for. Every instruction was followed, to the letter.

“Ugh!” his frustration neared maximum pressure, “why?! I did it right, I’m sure of it. Computer, what did I do wrong?!”

[Please specify.]

Nathan narrowed his eyes toward the nearest console and growled; a hint of a wry grin on his face despite the circumstances.

“Sassy *****.”

A new idea struck him; it would take time, favors, and possibly an exchange of credits in order to get it all together in the timeframe that was rapidly approaching. Knocking the foam-mess from the desk to the floor, he called up the first person on his list for help,

“Doctor McConnelly? This is Nathan. Er, Ramius. Do you, or anyone you know, need their Cosmetics and Alterations re-cert?”

== Party Timeline ==

Puhf’kuh, puhf’kuh, puhf’kuh, puhf’kuh… the boots were the only sound echoing off the deck and bulkheads initially. Until, just ahead, the sound of chattering and laughter could be heard.

A large, light-eating mass of dark fabric, billowed in the wake of the fast-walking figure. A pair of science officers, the source of the jovial noise, continued talking after having just visited the Halloween party for a brief moment. There was an awkward consideration though, as the dark figure drew nearer; they thought that the person walking toward them might move. Instead, they had to dodge out of the way as the sound of a sneer emanated from beneath the cowl of the hooded cloak, though no face could be seen beneath the shadowy recesses. The leather gloves tightened and released a few times, as though the person underneath was stifling anger or frustration.

Puhf’kuh, puhf’kuh, puhf’kuh, puhf’kuh… tiishhuahup…

The door to the Lounge opened. Long tendrils of mist from the floor poured out and pooled along the boots and cloak, with the backlighting making it even harder for anyone to see within the swathe of darkness given by the hood. Head-to-toe, dressed in black, only some of the costume embellishments made of leather reflected the ambient light of the candles overhead; boots, gloves, and an elaborately woven leather belt. However, one other item, metallic and grey, gleamed as it hung from the belt. Cylindrical and nearly a foot and a half long, each half looked identical as it came to a flat end with the middle bored out, and a pair of depressible buttons; a suitable replica for the character he was imitating.

Looking up and turning his head, he scanned the room. There were the Addams, Red Riding Hood with the Big Bad Wolf, and an ethereal Corpse Bride to name a few. Turning slightly, he saw Jennifer and Bryan in outstanding dress and makeup as, who he assumed, were Sally and Jack. Moving his gaze over to the bar, there was Ed dressed as the Joker, Beka in her Ghost Rider gear… which made him do a double take and swallowing a lump in his throat. And then, there was Ben with Cera as herself; the Artemis Fairy Godmother.

Overworked Zombie Chief Engineer?

Approaching the bar more leisurely than he had walked in the hallways, Nathan reached up toward his face. As he neared the trio, he removed the cowl carefully, avoiding catching the fabric on the several protruding horns atop his head. A carefully colored red and black face emerged, with heavy black around the eyes, side of his face, and entire back of his head. On the face itself, black lines broke up the deep crimson red, giving an almost mask-like look. As he opened his eyes, the contacts he wore revealed yellow-red irises that seemed to almost glow slightly.

Sidling up next to Beka, he threw an arm around her waist and gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

“Beka, Cera, you two look amazing. Ben, I meant to message you this morning but…  I had to change my character, sorry I didn’t tell you. The Right Hand of Doom just fell apart this morning when I went to check on it. I must have messed up the ratios or something and put too much viscoelastic in as it didn’t hold together, it just crumbled. So, I had to go with my backup costume.”

== tags to Beka, Ben, Cera! ==

#18 Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.18 @ 01:38 (01:38 AM)

Benjamin smiled as he listened to Sydesh talk about the past few days. It hadn’t been easy for anyone, but she seemed to have dealt with it well enough. That wasn’t always easy for a new officer, so it was good that she had done so efficiently, if not effectively. And hearing that Eli was taking her under her wing was a good thing. If anyone can help her, it’ll be Eli, he thought.

“Although in hindsight,” the Rider said, “I should have gotten her to show me pictures of you and Lt Morgan nice and early.”

Benjamin couldn’t help but chuckle at that. “Yeah,” he said. “You really should have.”

She asked about the box, and Benjamin took a few moments to consider. It wasn’t his secret to tell, of course, which made the decision somewhat easy. But he was really tired, and so his brain didn’t process things quite as easily as it should have.

He was distracted for a moment as he saw Lieutenant Sanderson come in to talk to the other Sanderson, his brother. The latter was dressed as a Knight Templar, and the newcomer was dressed similarly, but they both seemed agitated. “You said a knight, so I came as a knight,” the new one said. “You didn’t say real.”

Benjamin noticed that the engineer was dressed in a green patterned cloak with a heraldric animal, an uncommon one. A chicken, to be precise. “Why on earth would I have us come as Monty Python’s knights! That movie is four hundred years old, no one watches it but you!”

As he processed, however, he felt a presence on his other side. He turned to look, and felt himself smile as he saw Cera sitting there talking to the barkeep. She had just turned towards him, eyes taking in his appearance in mere moments and the ghost of a smile crossing her lips before slipping past him to Beka. Whatever smile might have made an appearance was murdered and set on fire once her eyes left him, he noticed. Equal parts displeasure and disdain, her glace at the doctor mostly told him that not only did dislike the young officer, but that Cera had completely dismissed her from being worthy of her time at all. He wondered what she’d done to deserve that look, but didn’t have time to think about it now.

“You look like crap,” the quartermaster said as she turned back to him with eyebrow raised. She set down her wine and put it lightly on his shoulder. “If you’re really dedicated to staying here, you need to come on. I have something that will help you look a little less like death warmed over and frankly… you need a costume because coming as yourself is beyond terrifying and not in a good way.”

He couldn’t help but laugh at that. “Unless you’re showing me to a bed, I think I should probably go.” He stopped, replaying that sentence in his head for a moment. “I… don’t think that’s quite what I meant to say.” He turned back to the barkeep and held up his coffee mug. “Maybe a fresh one, please?”

The barkeep was well-trained, and had a fresh coffee on the counter almost before he could even set down his old one. He took the new one and took a sip, standing up to go with Cera. But what about the case? he thought. He still needed to get it to Nathan. He considered asking the barkeep to deliver it – he had been on the ball about everything else, after all – when his erstwhile roommate appeared.

And not in the right costume.

And getting very… very close with Sydesh.

Oh. Things clicked a little, and he wondered if this might be part of why Cera had a problem with Sydesh, considering her previous behavior.

Nathan was complimenting the ladies while he tried to think, but fortunately caught back up as he turned to him. “Ben, I meant to message you this morning but… I had to change my character, sorry I didn’t tell you.” He went on to explain what all had gone wrong, before gesturing to his costume – some kind of red-faced evil warrior monk. Nathan had told him the name, but in his sleep deprived state he couldn’t come up with the name.

Benjamin just sighed and bent down to the case he had brought in. “Well, if you had called me I could have gotten a nap in today.” He chuckled, but opened the locks and reached inside. “I’ll show it to you, but it really won’t work with your new costume.”

He pulled out a shotgun – deliberately unloaded and without the firing pins for the party, of course. But not an ordinary shotgun. It had a rotary magazine and could be fitted with many types of shot, and the magazine could be ejected completely in order to be rapidly replaced with a new one if needed. The stock was longer than standard, more of a rifle stock than a shotgun one, and had a couple of hollows in it where it could be grabbed. The most obvious departure from standard design, however, was the giant axe hanging from the end of the barrel. Currently it was foam, but it could – and would - be easily replaced with a trianium one after the party.

Benjamin sighed as he showed it to Nathan. He let him look it over, but then put it back in the case. “Since you changed costumes,” he said, “I’ll get this back in storage for you. It’ll be ready for action in a couple of days.” He locked the case back, and hefted it as he turned to Cera, coffee in his other hand. “If you’ve got something, I should probably change if I’m gonna stick around, and I’m sure you’ve got someone who can put this thing back in the workshop. Lead on?”

==Tags all around!!==

#19 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.18 @ 17:26 (05:26 PM)

Shooting the breeze with Benjamin was proving to be a surprisingly relaxing way to pass the time. He seemed to approve of Beka hanging out with Eli. and it gave the redhead hope that maybe some day she might even call the Chief Engineer a friend. 

Long way to go. But I think he’s willing to at least entertain the idea. Who knew, fronting up to your mistakes and apologising when you need to turns out to be the best plan…

Both Elias and Sydesh found themselves drifting into silence when confronted with two men arguing about their plate mail costumes. The sheer absurdity of the debate, one of them apparently dressed to defend the honour of poultry everywhere, meant the doctor had to desperately stifle the treacherous laugh that sat at the back of her throat. 

And then Morgan appeared. Every move the quartermaster made seemed calculated to cause as much offence as possible, from the dismissive look to the way she planted herself in the middle of the conversation and then studiously ignored the doctor. 

Like that is it the redhead thought. At least it doesn’t look like I did any damage to your relationship... 

It took a huge effort to keep her grin in place and say nothing, just sipping her drink without moving as Cera whispered sweet nothings into Elias’ ear. Even a couple of weeks ago the normally fiery Sydesh would have said something, or even worse done something, in the face of this. She let her imagination run to the alternative dimension where she had picked up the tiny fairy godmother by her oh-so-cute little wings and dunked her head-first in the nearest punch bowl. It was an extremely satisfying mental image. Probably not worth the consequences, but it was closer than she would have ever wanted to admit. 

Stay calm. Let her have her moment. Beka took a deep breath and let it out slowly. That apology is really going to stick in my throat but I still have to do it. And there are far too many eyes on us for me to do anything apart from know my place. This is my fault and I need to take my medicine. 

She drained her glass and laid it down on the bar behind her. Not being able to say or do anything was almost physically painful but the doctor managed to behave herself. At least she wasn’t wearing her drink, which was more than could be said for poor Robin. 

Sydesh felt rather than saw someone come up alongside her. She looked up and it took her a half-second to process the face behind the make-up. 

Nathan! 

When the new arrival wrapped an arm around the redhead’s waist and gave her a peck on the cheek, all the Cera-related anxiety just melted away, replaced by a warm glow that slowly and gently worked its way through her. It was difficult to explain just how much the simple gesture meant to Beka. Her relationship with Nathan was very much in its nascent stages, but that willingness to be seen with her, to let his friends and crewmates know they were trying things out, was such a boost to her surprisingly fragile confidence. It let her dare to dream that her days as a dirty little secret were over.

“Beka, Cera, you two look amazing. Ben, I meant to message you this morning but…” 

Your timing is just perfection… The self-esteem vampire over there can’t get me now! Sydesh thought as he spoke. Her arm found its way around his hips as she nuzzled her head against his chest. 

The doctor wasn’t really listening to the rest of what he said, but she was aware enough to spot when Ramius and Elias were having a moment over the comically huge shotgun that the engineer had produced from his box. 

Now’s my chance.

Beka let go of Nathan and took a step back, so that she could see Cera without trying to talk over the rekindled bromance. She felt awkward but she was astute enough to know that she had to speak up. It wasn’t enough to just say sorry. From what little she knew about the quartermaster, she hoped that being willing to do so publicly and around her nearest friends would help her case.

“Lieutenant Morgan?” she said, to try and get the other woman’s attention. “I just wanted to say I’m sorry.” The redhead meant every word, and if Cera wanted to look, she’d have seen that in the doctor’s eyes. “I was way out of line and I shouldn’t have done that. There’s no excuse. It was disrespectful and it won’t happen again. There’s nothing I can offer you beyond an apology, but I hope eventually I can make it up to you. I have a lot to learn and I’m going to make sure I do.”

With her piece said, Sydesh looked around, her throat suddenly dry. She didn’t expect the blonde to acknowledge her given the disparity in their positions in the ship’s pecking order, and that was the Betazoid’s right. Another lesson the redhead had learned the hard way lately, even as she chafed at being the lowest of the low.

== Tags! ==

Edited by Mid Beka Sydesh, Star Date 22010.18 @ 17:39 (05:39 PM).

#20 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2425 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.18 @ 22:39 (10:39 PM)

Tyra had smiled as the midshipman used her name, pleased that she had remembered that suggestion from their last social encounter, and that smile had grown as Robin greeted Fen like the local celebrity that Fen felt he was. The dog sniffed the nurse's hand, pressing his nose to the point that its cold surface brushed her hand as if he was convincing himself that she was actually there before licking the hand approvingly.

"Thanks. Crewman Bharr did the holographic effects. I've been helping him adjust to his new hand after he lost his real one during the Borg battle. But I think he was more enthusiastic than I was. He kept proposing more effects, and I had to stop him."

Tyra chuckled. "I've heard that Bharr can get very enthusiastic about such side projects," she commented, the redhead shifting so that she could better examine the the effects and maybe get a glimpse of how they worked. "However, give him my compliments -- this is very convincing. If word gets out, he might be very busy next year around this time," she said with a chuckle and a nod of appreciation.

"I like your costume. Red Riding Hood looks like she bites back."

Now, Tyra genuinely laughed. "Oh, only under the right circumstances," she answered with a wink before shaking her head slightly. "But shhh that's a secret."

"How's Evie doing?"

The redhead's smile softened visibly at the mention of her daughter. "Evie is good, though very disappointed that I wouldn't let her dress up as a... what was it this time? Ah, yes, a unicorn firefighter princess.... imagine firefighter boots, a unicorn horn lopsided and the fluffiest and most ridiculous dress you can imagine. She wanted to come but this is hardly the affair for a little one. Tomorrow night, we'll take her trick or treating on the holodeck... she can dress as ridiculously as she wants without the chance of being afraid of flaming skulls or that werewolf mess back there," she explained with a chuckle.

She was just about to ask Robin if her Corpse Bride was inspired by the charming but haunting animated movie or some of the more haunting folklore revolving around the same concept when she felt a presence near her right shoulder. 

Tyra made a slight hum at the accusation, turning slightly to regard her sister-in-law with her brother in tow. Their cute couples costume almost made her wish that she had twisted Thomas' arm but the fact of the matter was that would have been too much trouble for her liking. She'd reconsider it next year, maybe but Fen was a perfectly good date.

"I thought a basket of sweets might have made Fen and I seem a little too welcoming and well, I do have to keep an air of terror for those moments when someone does something incredibly stupid... it's been about once a week lately," she said with a grin and a wink, though most would know there was some truth there. "In hindsight though, a basket of treats might have helped me drink more so I might have miscalculated....I'll have the final verdict tomorrow morning, I'm afraid."

"However, and I mean no offense to you, Robin but even if I did miscalculate, I will suffer through on coffee alone... I don't need a lecture from Tyrol or any of her children about my drinking habits," the redhead said with an eyeroll before taking a drink from her glass for emphasis.

== Tag Jenny and Robin! ==

#21 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2425 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.18 @ 23:05 (11:05 PM)

== Lieutenant Cera Morgan ==

As the daughter of diplomats with the grooming of a diplomat herself, neverending politeness ran to her core for better or worse. It had made her younger years difficult as it wasn't exactly easy to deal with the bullies and the general jerks while maintaining a pure politeness. Her father, ever the politician, had always stuck to the fact that appearance was more important than anything else but she didn't agree. Politeness for the sake of politeness was its own form of dishonesty and did nothing to solve the problems set in front of her.

She had gotten much better about wielding politeness in such a way that she still reached her goals and didn't allow herself to be run over -- learning a thing or two about Southern manners had helped with that -- but it still left her in an awkward position when what she wanted involved being less than polite. However, in those moments, she usually considered something that Tyra had told her at one point, that politeness was all well and good but it shouldn't trump the truth, even if the truth required a less refined delivery. She had ended that conversation with asking Cera how many times she had ended up in a situation because politeness dictated she say 'yes' when she honestly didn't want anything to do with it and it was more times than Cera had wanted to count. And that was when Cera slowly began to balance politeness against other needs... like the need to not be a first party confirmation to what might be the most distressing rumor to cross her desk in months, though that seemed rather unavoidable as Nathan made it very obvious that the rumors were true.

She did smile at the couple, both to welcome Nathan, who she still had a soft spot for despite his horrible decision making,  and because she realized this meant that the betting pool would be paying out quite a heavy penny to a number of souls who had bet on Nathan's next entanglement being rushed and ill-thought out. She suspected Brid would be able to buy a great deal of mead with her winnings and she had no doubt the Nord would be thrilled when Cera delivered the news. That was, at least, something to look forward to because something needed to get her through this particular nightmare-ish gathering.

“Beka, Cera, you two look amazing. Ben, I meant to message you this morning but…”

The rest of the sentiment fell off as Cera considered exactly how to politely extricate herself from this level of Hell. It would have been easy if it hadn't been for Nathan's arrival and the fact that she usually did enjoy Nathan's company in a clueless little brother type of way.  Now, though, the last thing she wanted to do was watch Sydesh practically wrap herself around Nathan like a love starved koala bear. Maybe now was a good time to start repayment for all of the times she had saved Tyra from unpleasant conversations but then, that would probably lead to another conversation about how Cera could serve to be just a little less lady-like at times.

Maybe you do need to channel your not-so inner Southerner... or just channel Tyra. No... that would be a verbal evisceration that isn't even in the realm of lady-like but oh, so satisfying, she thought, considering that with Ben and Nathan now enraptured in their own little world, it would easy for her to just slip away with no issues.

She didn't make the decision fast enough as Ben turned to her with the heavy case still in one hand and coffee in the other.  "If you’ve got something, I should probably change if I’m gonna stick around, and I’m sure you’ve got someone who can put this thing back in the workshop. Lead on?”

She gave him a look and was about to suggest that, as much as she enjoyed as many people at the gatherings as possible, he probably was right that he would be better served by sleeping than chugging copious amounts of coffee just to stay upright when Sydesh broke the silence between the two of them. She even managed to somehow swallow past Cera's rank, which was amazing because everything Cera had heard suggested that Sydesh held a compete ignorance when it came to most things related to the military service model.

“I just wanted to say I’m sorry. I was way out of line and I shouldn’t have done that. There’s no excuse. It was disrespectful and it won’t happen again. There’s nothing I can offer you beyond an apology, but I hope eventually I can make it up to you. I have a lot to learn and I’m going to make sure I do.”

As dictated by even the most simple of manners, Cera made eye contact with the woman as she spoke, weighing the words and tone. The redhead was making quite the effort to appear sincere but Cera had learned over the years that the Fleet was filled with very good actors, each with their own motive for the masks they wielded. Some wore masks for the sake of making others happy, a category Cera likely could fall into if she was honest. Some wore masks to hide their nature, like Jenny or Mayfair, if she had actually attempted to hide her nature. Some wore masks to keep their personal and professional sides separate and to make the transition to other positions easier, like the Captain. Some wore masks to hide the fact that they simply and truthfully didn't belong where they were, possibly Nathan at one point in time. Some wore masks to hide their troubles and burdens, like Ben and most of the veteran security officers. And some wore masks to climb the ladder and make themselves what they felt would get them where they wanted to go. Actually, maybe the more truthful statement was that the entire Fleet was made up of actors and the bigger question was which role was Sydesh attempting to play?

Only time would tell and unfortunately, none of her senses would give her the answer in enough time to deal with this particular situation. The more pressing question was did she accept the apology out of politeness and a dislike of strife or was honesty the better option?

"Words are lovely. The spoken word is one of my favorite mediums but there's no guarantee or requirement for truthfulness or authenticity. Some make a living off of smooth apologies with little substance behind it... whether that's you or not, I don't know."

Because I don't know you beyond an observation that you clearly feel a lack of attention or maybe a self-consciousness that leads you to trying to 'bust balls' with people you haven't earned the right to do that with because you don't even know them. You're not their friends, you're not even really their colleagues yet... you're just the new middie making an *** of yourself straight out of the gate for some short lived attention. Not to mention the other issues you managed to exhibit, or so I hear....

"What I do know is that your apology would go a long way if you can consistently act like an adult instead of a 12 year old with a need for attention and authority issues. Otherwise, it really is just words for the sake appeasing and I don't have much love for empty words..." the blonde, who had maintained eye contact through her answer, punctuated the statement with a little shrug, as if to say the ball was back in Sydesh's court.

Now, if Cera had kept her roll of up-frontness, she would have been more blunt with her next statement, indicating that she wanted to leave because well, it was the last place she currently wanted to be and that was with Klous' creepiness on the table. However, she had limits to how much she could push her limits. "Now, Ben, let's get you a costume and get that case into trustworthy hands," she said, addressing Ben as she picked her wine and her wand up from the bar.

With a little flourish of the wand, she waved it in the direction of Nathan and Sydesh. "You two enjoy the party," she said with a smile and the grace of a practiced host. Despite her feelings about Sydesh, she didn't help organize these parties just for people she was fond of; she genuinely wanted everyone to have a good time, even if she didn't particularly want to see some of the displays of affection that came with it. And that was a particular display of affection that made gouging her eyes out seem like a worthy consideration.

As she guided Ben away from the bar and towards the galley of Ten Forward, she caught sight of Jenny and Bryan making their way through the crowd and she briefly paused her progression. "I need to make a quick stop, okay?"

The hand with Cera's wand in it, briefly laced through Ben's arm to direct him to where she needed to go before she let go a few feet from a group that consisted of the Crawford siblings, Jenny and Mayfair, the augmented nurse. The blonde managed to move forward with a grace that made it seem like she was gliding in her wide dress. Jenny probably felt the wide shirt brush against her a few seconds before Cera's wand tapped the short brunette on the shoulder lightly. 

"Hello everyone. I hope everyone is having a good time. Miss Mayfair, I love the costume -- I might need to steal some pointers next year," Cera said with a warm smile before looking at the shortest member of the group. 

"Jenny? Can I steal you for a moment?" Cera asked before glancing at Bryan. "Your better half is welcome too," she said with a smile at the younger Crawford.

== Tag Jenny, Ben, Robin, Beka and Nathan ! ==

#22 Ens Judora Claymore

Ens Judora Claymore

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.19 @ 00:40 (12:40 AM)

Juice didn’t celebrate halloween.

Well, more accurately, growing up her family had never celebrated it. Besides the fact that her family consisted of mainly health nuts - leaving candy a no-go - more often than not her parents worked Halloween evening to keep the peace. This left Juice alone with her siblings, or chaperoned by her strange aunts.

Admittedly, the two women had enjoyed dress-up, but less in the line of Halloween fun, and more in the line of having their nieces and nephews pretend they were in finishing school. After escaping home, Juice too had found herself busy on the holiday. As such, Halloween had never really be an enjoyable part of her year.

So when she’d gotten the invitation to the Halloween party, she’d been at a bit of a loss, and not just in her usual ‘doesn’t like parties’ sort of way. She’d considered just skipping it, or strong-arming someone into swapping shifts with her.

Instead she’d called her best friend to get his advice on what to do. After a long conversation about the fact that she hadn’t just switched shifts with someone and hadn’t simply refused, followed by rapid backpedaling to prevent Juice from disconnecting, Peter had decided to actually be helpful.

“Can’t go wrong with humor.” Peter said, being entirely unhelpful. You’d think considering how long he knew her he’d remember she barely had a sense of humor.

Her blank face thankfully served as a reminder.

“Hopeless. Here... let’s think. What would be funny and would be unexpected. That’s always the most fun type of costume at a party. Anything you can think of?”

“A costume.”

Peter sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. “No, Juice. That doesn’t-“ the man paused, and a wicked grin slowly crawled across his face. “I have an idea.”

And here she was, regretting calling him. As she approached the entrance to the party, the woman strongly considered just making a run for it.

But no, she had committed, so she was at least going to make an appearance.

Gone were the woman’s typical darker tones. Gone was the leather and jeans. She wasn’t even wearing sports clothing.

This evening, Juice had arrived in an eye-catching orange dress. The thin straps hugged the deep cut lines of the powerful muscles of her shoulders, while the plunging front and cinched waste drew attention parts of her that were seldom accentuated. The bottom - maxi as Peter had told her, a word she could have sworn she’d never heard before - started above her knees, permitting a short glimpse of her thighs before flowing down and around to caress her ankles in the back, meeting up with her nude heels. Her straight dark hair - usually tied in a low bun behind her head - was glittering and cascading down the back of her head, originating from a ponytail tied at the top of her head by what appeared to be shimmering leaves. She was even wearing makeup, sparkling orange transitioning to the same green as her hair tie.

While “sexy” was not the most accurate description of the outfit, it was much more feminine than Juice would normally be caught dead in.

In fact, as she walked over to the bar to begin imbibing as much alcohol as it would take to either overcome her discomfort or forget it, she was pretty sure she was going to drop dead from embarrassment.

At least this time, she wasn’t stuck in a dress in the holodeck, and probably wouldn’t have to fight a dragon - though she might have preferred that option.

Why had she let Peter talk her into this.

== Tag! ==

#23 Mid Robin Mayfair

Mid Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.19 @ 02:04 (02:04 AM)

Robin couldn't help but feel better as Captain Crawford smiled warmly. It took real effort for the young officer to call a captain by her first name, even on request, even in an out-of-uniform social situation. She'd chosen not to do so on the SS Triple Seven for the three years she'd been on that freighter, even though old Captain Cardon always wanted her to. To her, the use of "Sir" was a measure of respect, not just a duty required by protocol. But that was a freighter, even if Cardon was retired Star Fleet, and this was her first posting out of the Academy on a real Federation starship. And so the nurse would make that effort. 

Fen sniffed her hand, still a bit confused, but then gave it a lick. She laughed. I've missed dogs so much since leaving home. Her family had had several, as most of the local ranches had, but she'd had precious little opportunity to play with one in the nine years since she'd left. Left? You ran away. She gave him a friendly scratch behind the ear.

Tyra chuckled. "I've heard that Bharr can get very enthusiastic about such side projects. However, give him my compliments -- this is very convincing. If word gets out, he might be very busy next year around this time," she said with a chuckle and a nod of appreciation.

Robin chuckled in return, warming more to the situation. Her costume was turning out to be a hit, and she really did have the Tellarite engineering crewman to thank for it. "Will do. He'll be happy to have the work. He's always complaining about... well, OK, he's always complaining. Period. But he said it was an opportunity to get really creative and work on something he never would do normally. Gotta make sure I have first dibs on his services next year." 

The two talked a bit, and Robin asked Tyra about her daughter. "Evie is good, though very disappointed that I wouldn't let her dress up as a... what was it this time? Ah, yes, a unicorn firefighter princess...."

A what?!?

"Imagine firefighter boots, a unicorn horn lopsided and the fluffiest and most ridiculous dress you can imagine. She wanted to come but this is hardly the affair for a little one. Tomorrow night, we'll take her trick or treating on the holodeck... she can dress as ridiculously as she wants without the chance of being afraid of flaming skulls or that werewolf mess back there," Tyra explained with a chuckle.

Robin smiled at the idea of Evie's first trick-or-treat. "Aww, that sounds like fun. She's gonna have a blast."

And with it being holographic, mom can control exactly what candy the little one can get, which is going to save a lot of bellyaches later. Like the Halloween I ate two bags of peanut butter cups in less than an hour. Oh boy, did I pay for that. 

"By the way, if you ever need a babysitter, I have a formidable resume and extensive experience. I spent a good chunk of my teenage years babysitting my legion of younger cousins. I have a large family." She paused in mock shellshock, as if experiencing a flashback of horror. "A very large family."  

Commander Braggins had approached, dressed in a costume and makeup from "A Nightmare Before Christmas." A tall man that Robin didn't know played the part of Jack, the two complementing each other perfectly. The difference in their heights made  'Jack' look even taller, even though he lacked the skeletal thinness of the character. 

Robin greeted her with a warm smile (which appeared completely out of character for the ghostly bride) and a friendly "Hi, Jenny." The young nurse wanted to say more, but the truth was that she hadn't had much opportunity to interact with the Commander. She was hard to get a read on. But there was one thing Robin felt she needed to do at some point, and that was thank her for dealing with the Kazon in sickbay. While the nurse had little doubt that Ensign Claymore could have handled the brigand, the Commander's appearance had been a real relief. Something for another time, not a party. 

"I thought a basket of sweets might have made Fen and I seem a little too welcoming and well, I do have to keep an air of terror for those moments when someone does something incredibly stupid... it's been about once a week lately," she said with a grin and a wink, though most would know there was some truth there. "In hindsight though, a basket of treats might have helped me drink more so I might have miscalculated....I'll have the final verdict tomorrow morning, I'm afraid. However, and I mean no offense to you, Robin but even if I did miscalculate, I will suffer through on coffee alone... I don't need a lecture from Tyrol or any of her children about my drinking habits," the redhead said with an eyeroll before taking a drink from her glass for emphasis.

Robin laughed. "You won't hear a word from me, I assure you." She was well aware of the Captain's reluctance to appear in sickbay for anything short of the apocalypse, but had heard more than a few words about it from her fellow nurses over the last two months. "I'm trying to avoid my 'incredibly stupid moment' until at least next month." 

A fairy godmother joined the group, gliding gracefully over to tap Jenny on the shoulder with her wand. Robin hadn't actually spoken with Cera Morgan, but knew of her, because everyone on the ship did. Wasn't Beka going to go over to her and apologize? I wonder how that turned out. Or whether Beka's going to find her replicated uniforms one size too small for the next month. 

"Hello everyone. I hope everyone is having a good time. Miss Mayfair, I love the costume -- I might need to steal some pointers next year," Cera said with a warm smile before looking at Jenny. Robin offered a smile and a polite thanks. 

"Jenny? Can I steal you for a moment?" Cera asked before glancing at Bryan. "Your better half is welcome too," she said with a smile at the younger Crawford.

Robin took a drink from her translucent glass. While she was enjoying herself (especially the opportunity to talk to Tyra) she still felt like an outsider. The Artemis was, in many ways, a tight family. So many of these officers had known each other for years, or were related to each other, or married to each other. They'd gone through hell together, many of them. And she was the new kid, the fresh-out-of-diapers wide-eyed innocent who was on a first name basis with maybe half a dozen people on the entire ship. 

== Tags ==

#24 Ens Judora Claymore

Ens Judora Claymore

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.19 @ 17:50 (05:50 PM)

== Orrin Kea - The Infamous Barkeep ==

General feelings of contentment thrummed through the air, the telltale sign of of a good party. But then again, between the colorful guests and the exquisite decorations, it was no wonder the group at large was having a good time.

This included a small group of women, dressed in an impressive reproduction of the signature outfits worn by Mismatched, the popular interspecies music group currently sweeping the galaxy.

They had just arrived but had been lucky enough to snag a table. The two humans were telling their crew mates tales of their experiences of Halloween on earth as children and young adults, with their fellows adding in their own stories following their assignment to locations where humans had celebrated the holiday.

The excitement for the party buzzed off of the group, as well as the relief of a night off. A few of them also stole glances around the room, their minds moving through thoughts of the potentiality of a little extra fun that evening.

“Your drinks?” A deep voice floated into their circle, easily audible above the music but by no means jarring. In fact it was quite melodious itself.

One of the women turned around quickly at the voice, the excitement of ‘getting the party started’ with some drinks bouncing around her head.

“Oh, thank y-“ words stuttered to a halt as the woman’s eyes made contact with the chest of the voice’s owner. Caramel skin was adorned with geometric tattoos that seemed to accentuate the man’s rippling pectoral muscles. They spread to his broad shoulders and down his powerful arms where they almost resembling scales in design. The tattoos also continued downward in an almost arrow-like fashion, guiding the woman’s eyes, until they we’re suddenly obstructed by dark pants.

Her eyes slowly traveled back up his chest to his face, the view at the end of the trip just as pleasing as the trip itself. A strong jaw was accentuated by a short beard, his face framed by chocolate shoulder-length hair ending in lighter tips. His sparkling ebony eyes - the only thing asynchronous with his costume - betrayed his Betazoid heritage as much as they did his amusement.

“You’re very welcome.” The man’s features warmed further, noting the woman’s thoughts halting.

The woman, face now flushed, nudged the woman next to her, who turned, did a double take, and proceeded to get the attention of the rest of the group until they were all firmly focused on the man.

“Let me or one of the other servers know if you need anything else,” he continued, the words washing over the women like waves over sand.

After a moment of silence the Risian seated across from the first first woman collected herself. She leaned forward, immaculately lined eyelashes lowering so she could peer through, teeth gently biting her ruby red lips. “We’ll definitely let you know.”

The man leisurely straightened to his impressive height, each muscle’s movement easily visible and definitely adding to the excitement of the group. A chuckle rumbled from his chest as he noted the thoughts now swirling through the group. “I’ll be waiting.”

With that he smoothly turned away from the group - leaving them to the quickly devolve into heated whispering and giggles.

Orrin Kea knew he had a distinct effect on those interested in the male gender. Heck, sometimes it wasn’t just people interested in the male gender. It was still amusing to him that his life trajectory had changed so drastically. Once a warrior trained to use his intimidating size and natural gifts to infiltrate and destroy, Orrin was now a bartender used the same gifts to bring joy to his crewmates, whether through drinks, by lending an ear or sometimes - actually, quite often it seemed - that joy required him to wander around shirtless.

When it had come to the party, he hadn’t even had the option of choosing a costume. Cera had explicitly told him he was to dress up as Aquaman - a Terran comicbook superhero he had been told - had sent him the image he was to emulate, and that had been that.

He often been told he strongly resembled a Terran actor who had portrayed the comic book character, and examining the image she’d sent he could see why.

After a few more drinks delivered, commonly resulting in the same effect as the first, Orrin returned to the bar area, ready to pick up more drinks.

A Jelna Rigelian bartender looked away from the group Orrin had just left, shaking their head, beads clinging against the buckled belts of their pirate costume.

“I’d say I don’t know how you do it... but...” Chyri waved their hands emphatically at Orrin, who simply responded with a chuckle and a shrug.

“I wouldn’t be too jealous.” Orrin placing his tray down and leaning in conspiratorially, “Setaa over there has been eyeing the bar all night, and when I walked past it was pretty clear a certain bartender has captured her attention.”

“...Really?” Chyri turned their head towards the Andorian indicated, standing with a group off to the side, considering his statement. At that moment, as if he had somehow known she was going to look over, the blue skinned woman had turned to glance at the bar before flushing a deeper shade of blue and hurriedly turning away.

“Tell you what, I’ll watch the bar for a few minutes and you go deliver her drink. I may or may not have kept her waiting a bit for it.”

Chyri raised an eyebrow at Orrin, who simply raised his eyebrows and shrugged, the picture of innocence. The Rigelian chuckled. “Deal.”

They quickly made the drink and disappeared into the growing crowd, headed to the table and Andorian, who looked up and grew visibly nervous, but Orrin could sense it was excitement rather than actual fear.

Orrin leaned back, enjoying the amusement buzzing off of the crowd. The crew certainly knew how to throw a good party.

A few minutes later a very pleased Rigelian returned, mind fluttering with the promise of a shared drink and dance during their next break.

Another good deed done, Orrin collected his drink tray, piled on the next collection of drinks, and headed back out.

== He has returned ==

#25 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.19 @ 19:33 (07:33 PM)

Beka stood and took the broadside from Cera. It felt like the Betazoid had a lot of other issues that she needed to work out and the redhead had, by dint of the wrong whistle at the wrong time, ended up taking the full force of a rant that wasn’t entirely about her. 

There’s no point me even trying to answer that. Where do I even start?

When the quartermaster finished and gave her plastic smile complete with hollow well-wish, an irony that wasn’t lost on Sydesh even if she didn’t dare point it out, the doctor almost felt sorry for Elias as he was steered away.

“The hell was that about…” Beka said, when the two had moved off and left her and Nathan on their own. “I have to hope that wasn’t all aimed at me, that she’s just stressed with the party. Because otherwise that’s a hell of a lot of conclusions to reach about someone based on one stupid mistake.”

She sighed, her shoulders slumping as she shook her head. 

“I mean, I get that whistling was a stupid thing to do,” she added. “I’ve not even tried to say it wasn’t. But the punishment really does not fit the crime. I was on a bit of a high after helping the captain’s daughter, and getting to see a real tender moment with her family. It was special, you know? And then I got partnered up with the nurse who started the whole Sydesh-is-a-pirate bull****. I let myself get a bit carried away. Hang me off the port nacelle for such a heinous act.”

Her hand toyed idly with the chain around her neck, her frustration evident in the gesture.

“There’s things I need to learn about the social structures around here. Boy oh boy do I take that point. But I’m going to make mistakes even with the best intentions, and if every single one gets me hauled over the coals, I might as well quit now before she buries me.”

Her fidgeting accidentally set off her costume, the virtual flames rapidly spreading as Beka suddenly went full Ghost Rider. 

“Damn it. Stupid thing…” she muttered, although through the voice synthesiser her words carried a lot further than she intended. It was certainly enough to knock her off her soapbox and when she found the switch to turn it off, her face was nearly as bright red as her hair when it reappeared through the fire. 

“Can I get you a drink?” the doctor asked Nathan. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to catch you in the middle of that. Morgan seems to like you. Hell, everyone does. You’ll have to share your secrets sometime.” 

Beka managed a wan smile as she leant against the cowled figure, resting her head on his chest. It was the first time she’d told her side of the story, little realising how much of a big deal it apparently was to the Artemis’ queen bee. There was no way she could compete with Cera’s network - the woman had people everywhere. All she could do was make sure those closest to her knew it was just a stupid mistake, a joke that had backfired horribly.

#26 Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.20 @ 01:51 (01:51 AM)

What was that all about? Benjamin thought as he followed Cera away from the bar. He’d followed the conversation between Beka and Cera, but hadn’t quite hit all the nuance. He wondered if there was something she knew about the medic that he didn’t – quite likely – and also whether he should bother trying to find it out. He probably didn’t want to know, truthfully.

But he could tell that whatever it was, Cera had made up her mind, and then immediately dismissed her from her brain-space. Whatever was going on, the quartermaster had decided that she didn’t care about it anymore, and that was likely the most dangerous thing for Sydesh. Cera wasn’t wrong, though – it was fairly obvious that Sydesh had a lot of growing up to do, and until she did she wasn’t going to have an easy time of it.

He was worried for his friend, though. Nathan wasn’t exactly in the best of places at the moment, and this had all the hallmarks of a rebound situation. Granted, Benjamin didn’t have great first-hand experience with that, having not had much time for relationships growing up and the less said about the Iris situation the better, but he’d seen it from both sides with his younger siblings. And Beka is probably the last person I’d put in that kind of situation, he thought.

With a sigh, he looked back over his shoulder at the couple, and saw Sydesh bury her head in Nathan’s chest. He couldn’t help but furrow his brow as he saw her do it; with all of those spikes on her jacket and elsewhere on the costume, how had she kept from stabbing him multiple times?

“Oh, no,” he heard someone say as they passed by. He turned quickly to look, and saw the two Sandersons – Andy from science, in his Templar garb, and Billy from his engineering staff in the chicken knight garb – watching someone else approach. He was also in a knight costume similar to both, though he had a giant grail painted on his shield, and had a blue and white quartered scheme to his clothing. “Dennis,” Andy said, “where did you even dig that one up?”

“You said ‘Questing Knight’,” the newcomer said. As Benjamin passed, he realized that Dennis looked eerily similar to the other two, and must be a third brother. “So I did a search and came up with this. Library computer said it was the costume of a questing knight from Bretonnia during the rule of King Louen Leoncoeur. What’s wrong?”

Andy pinched the bridge of his nose, helmet in the crook of his arm. “Did you bother to find out where Bretonnia was? Of course not, because it’s fictional! How could neither of you actually figure out that we were going for realism here? And I said ‘Crusading Knight’, not ‘questing’.”

Benjamin shook his head, but was out of earshot before any more could be said. How many of them are there? he thought, and also wondered how they had all wound up on the same ship in the Delta Quadrant. He didn’t have time to ponder it, though, because Cera turned to him and said "I need to make a quick stop, okay?"

She stuck her arm through his, the one with the coffee in it, and despite having the wand in that hand she managed to not spill a drop of it anywhere. She lightly led him off towards another knot of people, which he quickly realized contained Tyra and Jenny, the latter’s husband, and the ship’s other new medic, Mayfair. He hadn’t actually had the pleasure of meeting her, and smiled as brightly as he could through his exhaustion.

Cera had let him go a few steps from the group, and he hung back a pace as she went up to Jenny. Benjamin noticed that Tyra had brought Fenris with her, who was sitting beside her looking up at everyone. Setting down the large case, he knelt down next to the pup and held out a hand, waiting for him to let him scritch him behind the ears.

I should get a dog, he thought, though of course where to get one was the problem right now. Thousands of lightyears from the nearest kennel, there wasn’t a lot in the way of options, and he hadn’t had the space for one before they had departed. He just sighed, and looked up at the group from his position.

“Hi,” he said to Mayfair, trying not to bump into her costume. “Sorry, I don’t think we’ve actually met. Lieutenant Benjamin Elias, engineering.” He smiled at her and set his coffee carefully on the case so he could extend a hand without removing the one from Fen.

==Tag Mayfair!==

#27 Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.20 @ 02:52 (02:52 AM)

==Ensign Orivessa sh’Thanis, Engineer==

“I can’t believe I let you talk me into this, Charlie,” she said to her companion as they walked through the door to the crew lounge. Charlie, for his part, clanked down the hall. Dressed as a Saracen warrior, he at least looked imposing. Ori looked down at her costume and just felt embarrassed.

“No, you look amazing!” the enthusiastic security non-com gushed. “I mean, I tried to talk Tassa into it, but she’s too tall anyway.”

Oh, so I was your second choice? Ori thought critically, but she couldn’t stay mad at him. He was just so endearing, and to be fair it wasn’t a bad costume. Her white leather cowboy boots thunked on the floor reassuringly, and though she was confused as to why she needed them with the white suit at least they were well-fitted. Her blazer had red trim around the lapels, covering a blue and green plaid vest and a red shirt, though you could barely see the trim under the giant blue, green, and red scarf she had wrapped around her neck. The stupid thing was so long that even wrapped twice, the ends still drug the top of the mist clinging to the floor. Her white hair had been braided in rows down her head before the various strands were then braided together themselves into a tail at the base of her neck, and she carried a metal tube with a red crystal attached to the end.

At least I get to be comfortable, she reasoned. Looking around at the other costumes, there were some of them she couldn’t say that for.

Charlie was still gushing as she brought her attention back to him. “I mean, sure they didn’t pick the series up with her as the star, but that Christmas special!” he exclaimed. “Seeing her stop the Sontarrans from invading at Starbase 12? And using Kirk as a one-time companion?! It was so incredible to see, especially to have a non-human play the part for the first time!”

Ori tuned him back out as she looked around, watching the party mill about. She caught a glimpse of Ben as he followed Cera. She was glad he’d come – especially that he was here with Lieutenant Morgan – but noted he wasn’t in a costume and looked exhausted. Did he come here straight from work? she thought, and then wondered if he’d actually stopped working long enough to rest before coming. Given the mug of coffee in his hand, she guessed not.

They were walking through the room when she felt Charlie sag. “Oh, no,” he said, and she followed his gaze to a group of knights, one of whom was pinching the bridge of his nose.

“What?” she asked.

The knights had noticed them, and once they turned she recognized Brian, and realized they must all be brothers. How many of them are there? she wondered as Charlie walked towards them. “Well,” she heard the Templar say, “at least you got the ‘crusade’ part of it right.”

“Sorry, Andy,” he said. “I guess that’s what I get for not coordinating as closely as we normally do.”

“Hey, it’s fine at this point,” he said. “At least you went for real life, unlike these two.”

“Hey!” the other two said in unison, before the one with the chicken(?) on his shield continued, “Maybe an actual costume list would’ve been nice.”

“We’ve tried that,” Charlie replied, “and you guys hated it. Let’s face it, we all want to pick our own costumes, and we’ve just been too stubborn to try and coordinate this year.”

Ori just shook her head and walked off. Family was always going to be a rough time, and she felt like she was intruding. She sighed, gripped the cylinder – what had Charlie called it? Her ‘sonic’? – tight so she didn’t drop it, and headed off to the bar. It was time to get a drink before mingling.

#28 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 628 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.20 @ 15:14 (03:14 PM)

Once Eli had made her suggestion to Liam about who they should talk to first, in his quest to show her off to everyone. The arrival of Nathan and a few others called for a slight rethink, especially when they had William to consider. As much as she would have loved to mingle and talk to her friends, it wasn't as practical as either of them had first thought, especially with the party getting busier. Although the fact it was proving to be popular was definitely a good sign, considering that this was the first crew social event since arriving in the Delta Quadrant.

Besides the night was still young, so there was plenty of time to catch up as Liam pointed out an empty table which would likely become a powerful commodity, as the lounge continued to fill up with partygoers. With Liam holding onto a very hyper Pugsley, the couple made their way over to the table and sat down. Once there, their new position gave them plenty of opportunity to observe the various goings on, not to mention, leaving enough space should anyone wish to join them.

Of course William became fascinated with one of the table decorations, but other than that, there was little drama, that's until Eli noticed something going on over at the bar. Naturally and discreetly pointed it out but if anything, the newly christened Morticia was happy to see Beka and Nathan together, realising that she definitely needed to catch up with her best friends when time allowed. 

For now, Eli enjoyed the company of her beloved and her son, only getting up for food to distract and keep William happy and to avoid any spillages when it came to their own drinks. 

== open tags to anyone who wants to come over ==

#29 Mid Robin Mayfair

Mid Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.20 @ 22:57 (10:57 PM)

“Hi,” Elias greeted Robin. “Sorry, I don’t think we’ve actually met. Lieutenant Benjamin Elias, engineering.”

Robin returned the smile, happy to be meeting more people officially. She knew of the Chief Engineer, of course, but they hadn't spoken. He gave an aura of being tired, no surprise given recent events, and she noticed that his drink of choice was coffee. "I'm Robin Mayfair. Nice to meet you, Benjamin." Her slight southern accent (not as pronounced as the Captain's) gave her words a warm sound, completely wrong for her ghostly costume. She shook his hand cheerfully, her hand solid despite its appearance. The holofield extended slightly up Nathan's hand as she did so, making it appear spectral. 

"Oops, sorry. Didn't set an off switch for that, sorry. The costume is pretty much on or off, though I can set some of the effects." As she released his hand it reverted to normal. She watched him as he gave Fen a scratch behind the ears. 

That dog must be in absolute heaven right now, getting this much attention. Speaking of attention...

She gave him a slightly conspiratorial look. "Can I ask you a question, Benjamin, since I haven't been on the ship for long? Totally non-work related. What is the deal with those three?" She crooked her head to indicate the feuding knights. "They're acting like they're about to start a crusade against each other."

== Tag Elias ==

Edited by Mid Robin Mayfair, Star Date 22010.20 @ 22:57 (10:57 PM).

#30 Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.21 @ 02:15 (02:15 AM)

Benjamin smiled, catching the slight Southern accent in Mayfair’s voice, but was captivated by the holographic effect that covered his hand while they shook. "Oops, sorry,” she swiftly apologized. “Didn't set an off switch for that, sorry. The costume is pretty much on or off, though I can set some of the effects."

“It’s fine,” he said as he stood up from scratching Fen – making sure to grab his coffee as he did so. “Some excellent work on your hologram; that must have taken a lot of work.”

She gave him a slightly conspiratorial look before asking, “Can I ask you a question, Benjamin, since I haven’t been on the ship for long? Totally non-work related.” She crooked her head towards the group of Sandersons, still arguing with each other. “What is the deal with those three? They’re acting like they’re about to start a crusade against each other.”

Benjamin chuckled. “To be fair, I only know one of them,” he said, “the one in the chicken knight costume that I have no idea where it’s from; I think I heard them say it was from some old movie.” He sighed and turned to look at them directly, standing beside Robin. “However, I can tell you this – they’re all brothers, given the way they bicker. The one I know is William Sanderson, so I assume the others are all Sandersons as well.

“From what I’ve overheard, I think they were trying to plan a group costume, and, well…” He shrugged and smiled at her. “Coordination is difficult.” He was about to say more when another person walked up to the group, dressed even more ridiculously than the other four, and Benjamin just watched the templar brother deflate.

The newcomer was dressed in a crescent moon costume, carrying an oversized microphone and a padd. All of his brothers were just shaking their heads, and an animated conversation began that Benjamin couldn’t hear. At least, not at first.

“Don’t blame this on me, Ethan!” one of them said, voice raised.

“If you didn’t mumble all the time, Dennis, maybe I would have understood you!” the newcomer replied.

“But how do you hear ‘question night’ and not ask any questions!!” the second replied

Billy set a hand on their shoulders and spoke quietly, and they calmed back down, or at least brought their voices down to where Benjamin and Mayfair couldn’t hear them anymore.

Benjamin couldn’t help it. He started laughing, and had to set the coffee back on the case still on the floor before he spilled it. A few moments passed, and eventually he was able to regain his composure, though his face hurt by the time he did, and turned back to Robin. “Family,” he said around another chuckle, which he swallowed down. “Can’t live with them…”

==Tags to the group==

#31 Mid Robin Mayfair

Mid Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.21 @ 02:55 (02:55 AM)

Benjamin chuckled. “To be fair, I only know one of them,” he said, “the one in the chicken knight costume that I have no idea where it’s from; I think I heard them say it was from some old movie.” He sighed and turned to look at them directly, standing beside Robin. “However, I can tell you this – they’re all brothers, given the way they bicker. The one I know is William Sanderson, so I assume the others are all Sandersons as well.

“From what I’ve overheard, I think they were trying to plan a group costume, and, well…” He shrugged and smiled at her. “Coordination is difficult.” He was about to say more when another person walked up to the group, dressed even more ridiculously than the other four, and Benjamin just watched the templar brother deflate.

"Monty Python and the Holy Grail. A 1975 British comedy. He's 'Brave' Sir Robin, the cowardly knight." Robin smiled, inwardly amused at sharing a name with the character. "Hmm... I might have to borrow that idea next year." 

The newcomer was dressed in a crescent moon costume, carrying an oversized microphone and a padd. All of his brothers were just shaking their heads, and an animated conversation began that Benjamin couldn’t hear. At least, not at first.

"Now that one I don't get," she said. 

Benjamin started laughing uproariously at their conversation, and Robin had to join him. Between fits of laughing she desperately tried to retain her composure. "Please... I'm really.... breaking character." With a struggle, she composed herself. She smoothed her wedding dress and took a drink from her soda. Thankfully the brothers were keeping their voices down, and though she still could hear the conversation it made it a lot easier to focus on something else. Anything else. 

“Family,” he said around another chuckle, which he swallowed down. “Can’t live with them…”

The young nurse activated her voice effects, her voice becoming as hollow and eerie as the inside of a tomb. "...Can't haunt them forever." 

== Tags ==

#32 Cdr Jennifer Braggins

Cdr Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1567 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.21 @ 14:13 (02:13 PM)

"I thought a basket of sweets might have made Fen and I seem a little too welcoming and well, I do have to keep an air of terror for those moments when someone does something incredibly stupid... it's been about once a week lately. In hindsight though, a basket of treats might have helped me drink more so I might have miscalculated....I'll have the final verdict tomorrow morning, I'm afraid."

Jenny smirked at Tyra's comment and sipped her own drink. A welcoming Tyra would be nice for the younger crew, she reflected, if any of them managed to not shove their own feet into their mouths within the first five minutes of reporting aboard - only really an issue with Midshipmen, really. The Enlisted crew seemed to be too afraid of the Chief of the Boat to put a foot out of line.

The rest of the conversation became background noise as Jenny noticed Juice walk into the room; a form-fitting dress in orange clung to her form, and green glittery fabric tied her head up. More surprising than the dress, that seemed to reveal just enough thigh to be distracting, was the fact that the Security Officer was wearing makeup. Jenny had never seen Juice put much effort into her appearance, the two women shared similar outlooks on fashion, and Jenny had never once suspected Juice would willingly make herself look...sexy... 

Sexy pumpkin? Carrot?

"Huh? Oh, sure..."

To say Jenny was surprised that Cera interrupted was an understatement; the blonde Betazoid usually cornered you alone when she wanted something, with either a winning smile or some kind of bribe. Both curious and mildly suspicious, Jenny returned her attention to things other than Juice's costume, and politely excused herself with Bryan and followed Cera. She had a feeling this wasn't going to be a typical Cera interaction.

"What can I do for you?"

#33 Ens Nathan Ramius

Ens Nathan Ramius

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 572 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.21 @ 23:13 (11:13 PM)

Nathan felt bad. Terrible, in fact, that he hadn’t given Ben a shout. Elias was already working hard enough as it was, and if one of Ramius’ harebrained schemes for a costume, mixed with him being remiss in communicating, stole bunk time away from the Engineer… well, there was no good way to make up for that. For one, Nathan wasn’t an Engineer, so he couldn’t just ‘cover a shift’ for Elias. Nevermind a whole litany of other reasons why it just wouldn’t work.

And yet, seeing the shotgun… it was exactly what Nathan was expecting. When Ben was talking about the concept, the young security officer was thrilled by the prospect of the weapon and its accoutrements. Excitedly, he took in all the details of it. First, the rotary magazine made the thing look menacing, providing ample ammo for semi-automatic usage, and ease of replenishment too. The stock was longer, which was a bit of a surprise to Nathan, but nothing that was unwelcomed. However, the real icing on the cake was what shouldn’t really be on a shotgun: an axe. A huge axe. A badass axe. It would be handy, especially for close encounters. Images of whipping out the shotgun on the Rogue Planet, decapitating Borg drones with the axe, filled his head like some deranged Christmas present rampage. In fact, Ramius nearly let out a throaty, manly sort of chuckle until his friend ushered it back into its case.

B-b…noooo…” Nathan said quietly under his breath, before another twinge of regret for not telling Ben about the costume change hit him. He knew, though, that it was too late to do anything about it. Instead, he’d have to figure out a suitable apology.

Everything that had happened outside of Nathan inspecting the firearm had been lost on him. So, when Cera waved and said,

“You two enjoy the party,” he was lost at what just transpired.

“The hell was that about…” Beka then asked, to which Nathan could only shake his head and shrug his shoulders. It did feel awkward though, as he considered it; that if Beka wanted to know more that he’d have to admit he’d been totally enraptured by the shotgun. Completely enthralled, in fact. Ramius hoped that it wouldn’t come to that.

Instead, Nathan focused on what he could control in that moment, and that was listening attentively as waves of worry and anxiety seemed to flow out from his date. There were points where he had considered jumping in, and providing a bit of insight. However, something had stopped him. The frustration from Beka was palpable, and considering what he was beginning to understand about her, she likely just needed to vent first; reassurances could come later. The question then became, how would he make those assurances? Straight forward speak, or sweetened with a little tact?

The flames erupting from Beka’s costume certainly spoke volumes about where her emotions and head were at, even if she hadn’t intended it. It was a colorful display, though Nathan had to be careful to hide an amused grin as it wasn’t her frustration that entertained him. Rather, it was only somewhat fascinating that, what seemed to Nathan to be her inner thoughts had been coincidentally brought to life by the holographics.

“Can I get you a drink? Sorry, I didn’t mean to catch you in the middle of that. Morgan seems to like you. Hell, everyone does. You’ll have to share your secrets sometime.”

“I’d love a drink, though you don’t have to apologize to me…”

In fact, I should probably be apologizing to you because I missed that whole scene entirely because I was drooling over a shotgun.

“…and you certainly don’t want my advice when it comes to inter-intra crew relationship dynamics. Remember, I was once candidate for being a ‘Forever Middie’ so, take anything I say about that arena with a grain of salt,” he chuckled at himself.

That’s when Beka rested her head into his chest. It was a reaction for him to wrap his arms around her, and comfort her with a hug. Though, as he did so, a bit of heat rose into his cheeks as a blush took hold. This was their second date, and there was just about everyone he was close with in attendance. That level of PDA was, for Nathan, a surprising amount for the abstract timeframe he had in his head. Though, he did continue to hold the hug. Perhaps even a little longer than needed, as it became evident it would probably be the best way he could reassure her. As much as he could tell her that things would work out with Cera and the rest of the crew she may have crossed with, his words in those matters carried little weight.

“Anyway, about that drink,” he said as he released her, turning toward the bar, “an Old Fashioned for me please.”

That is when he saw someone. At first, he wasn’t sure who they were, but she looked incredibly familiar. As Nathan did a double take, the part of his brain in charge of recognition kicked into third, then fourth gear. Then, as his brain reached eighty-eight miles per hour, it was like he had been suddenly struck by a lightning bolt.

“Is that?...” Nathan mumbled, not believing his eyes from the distance.

Grabbing Beka by the hand, not wanting her to wander the party alone for the moment, he walked over to where the party newcomer was. Every step increased his certainty that he knew who it was, even if he didn’t believe it initially. The details of her outfit countered just about everything he knew about his work colleague. Nathan wasn’t necessarily close with her, but even he knew how hardcore Judora ‘Juice’ Claymore was. And, even in a dress, she still looked kickass.

“Judora?” Nathan finally blurted when he reached her.

“Ah, wow, that is an. That outfit is. You know how to rock Halloween colors!”

I sound like a moron. No no. Correction. You are a moron Nathan. Hurry up and introduce Beka to Judora before you get your *** kicked by the both of them.

“Ah, Beka Sydesh, this is Judora Claymore. Juice, this is Beka Sydesh. I didn’t think you’d have the night off. I mean…” he hesitated, “…sometimes you get stuck with a lot of duty shift trades.”

That didn’t sound any better than what you were going to say anyway. The hesitation just made it worse. And now, I can’t figure out what Juice came as. Is it rude to ask her if she brought a plus one. **** I’m stalling now. Beka. Beka say something for me.

Nathan grinned, his mind going a million miles a minute, but not one word was forming on the tip of his tongue.

== tag Beka and Juice! ==

#34 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2425 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.22 @ 00:27 (12:27 AM)

"You won't hear a word from me, I assure you," Robin swore before adding, "I'm trying to avoid my 'incredibly stupid moment' until at least next month."

Tyra chuckled before half shrugging. "Stupid moments are unavoidable, especially early on. The key is to make sure that, by the time you stumble into your "moment", you've already stacked the other side of the scale with less stupid moments. Though some people like to just come swinging straight out of the gate," the redhead said, her eyebrow arched as her blue eyes shifted to find the prime example of that principle at the bar in what looked like a strange Devil costume.

The only officer to have assaulted his CO out the gate and somehow survive in spite of his vast stupidity...

It was the slightest pull of Fen's leash that caused her to turn in time to witness Cera's arrival with Elias on her heels. Cera's request for Jenny's attention caused the tiniest twitch of her eyebrow put of curiosity but she quickly smoother it back down. Cera was very good at bringing things to her attention when needed and flitting around her when it was something not necessitating her attention.

As Shadow introduced himself to Robin and Cera pulled Jenny away for a conference of some sort, Tyra took the moment to survey the room.

There were the five Sanderson brothers, clearly in the middle of an argument regarding typical sibling mis-communication. There was a set of three witches, sisters if she remembered correctly, watching and cackling at the misfortune of the five men. Actually, she thought they might also hold the last name Sanderson but that just didn't seem plausible, even as they cackled near the caldron of punch.

Her eyebrow had finally arched up at the sight of Juice in a very un-Juice-like costume. Not only did the security officer typically attempt to avoid these gatherings at all cost -- Tyra still remembered her discomfort at the luau years earlier -- but Tyra had to consider that there must be a bet in place for the woman to come dressed like that. She looked great but no doubt she'd receive more than enough attention to make her regret her decision.

She deserves a drink just for showing up... and maybe a shot for the outfit...

Moving on, she thought she had sensed the Artemis' most popular bartender, chef and general hospitality manager moving through the crowd, a wake of swooning women being the largest indicator of his presence. There was no doubt that he had a way with women but the key to enjoying Orrin's presence was looking but not touching. Unfortunately, many a young woman had been left disappointed after falling under his spell by not recognizing that truth.

Speaking of falling under spells, there was no missing the PDA occurring at the bar between one wayward security officer and one equally lost medical officer. In fact, the redhead overrode her desire to sigh at the display by taking a large mouthful of whiskey concoction. It wasn't the display itself that caused the reaction -- she'd seen everything there was to display at different parties, especially once the alcohol really got flowing -- but the participants.

If the aftermath of his ill-fated romance with Price was any indication, Nathan had a soft heart that likely wasn't meant for the harsh realities of a Fleet romance and she, of all people, knew that reality inside and out. She also suspected that he wasn't the type to benefit from the whirlwind of rebound romance, not if he felt love as strongly as he seemed to feel every other emotion she'd seen exhibited. And Sydesh... well, Beka seemed as lost as any midshipman thrusted into an environment that she wasn't wholly prepared for. And while finding someone to cling to when you're treading water desperately seemed like a good idea, it rarely was... confusing comfort with more long term attachments never led to much other than heartbreak. She knew that personally as well but she also knew that, unfortunately, those painful lessons only came with experience. Any attempt to actually impart the lesson would likely just imbed them into the foolishness further out of sheer stubbornness.

The most effective lessons are usually the most painful... she thought, the thought punctuated by taking another drink and slowly letting herself drift back into the conversation at hand.

“Can’t live with them…”

"...Can't haunt them forever." The phantom effects punctuating the words in a way that made the redhead arch both eyebrows.

"Must not be trying hard enough..." she commented, another sip of whiskey pausing the end of the sentence until she swallowed. "I hear a truly disappointed Southern mother can haunt her children and children's children for generations... asking them if thats how she taught them to make biscuits and if they're really going to fold their towels like that. And don't even get her started on how the family tea recipe has been corrupted by heathens!"

Tyra held up a hand in mock horror. "Or is that just my mother? Probably is now that I think about it..."

#35 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.22 @ 13:16 (01:16 PM)

Beka had been giving serious thought to backing out, heading back to her quarters or the gym or something, just to get away from the party. She could feel eyes boring into the back of her head every time she moved, and an uncomfortable feeling of being judged. Ordinarily she would have shrugged it off as paranoia, just her insecurities resurfacing when she least needed them to. But there was something different in the air, a hostility that made her feel like the outsider. The redhead couldn’t put her finger on exactly why she felt the way she did, but it had built up on her until it was strong enough to suffocate her. At her best she was an effervescent personality, an extroverted life-and-soul-of-the-party type with enough about her to pull off the flaming costume. All of that felt like a distant memory here and now.

“I’d love a drink, though you don’t have to apologize to me,” Nathan said. “And you certainly don’t want my advice when it comes to inter-intra crew relationship dynamics. Remember, I was once candidate for being a ‘Forever Middie’ so, take anything I say about that arena with a grain of salt,” he chuckled at himself.

Any reply died on Sydesh’s lips. She just couldn’t find the words to say much of anything. The desire to leave was overwhelming. No doubt it would be used as an excuse to pour even more scorn on her but at least she wouldn’t have to be standing there whilst it happened.

That was when Nathan stepped up. The hug was a simple gesture but it picked Beka up from her lowest ebb and lifted her. She drew in a little of his strength and it helped her get a hold of her runaway emotions. 

I can’t run out on him Sydesh thought. He’s put a lot of himself on the line here and I need to show him why. They can all think and say what they want, I can’t let it get to me. This is where the fightback really starts. I’ll show them. Cera and everyone else. I’ll make them choke on every single rushed conclusion. They want to write me off? Fine. They won’t see this coming. 

I won’t let them turn me into the failure they want me to be.

When Ramius let go, she flicked away the single tear that hung at the corner of her eye, a well-practiced motion to spare her make-up. With a deep breath, she felt ready again. She wasn’t her usual self, not by any means, but she was at least able to give a passable impression. 

“Anyway, about that drink,” Nathan said as he released her, turning toward the bar, “an Old Fashioned for me please.”

“And a cola for me please,” Beka added. 

Something was going on with her date, as he mumbled something then grabbed her by the hand and damn near pulled her off her feet. The doctor was half-led, half-towed to where a dark-haired woman was stood at the bar.

“Judora?” Nathan blurted out. “Ah, wow, that is an. That outfit is. You know how to rock Halloween colors!”

That’s an understatement. Hot damn… 

Sydesh and Claymore had never met. It was only because of the former’s friends in Security - Eli, Nat and Nathan - that she was aware of who Juice was. But this absolutely hadn’t been the person that those hasty vignettes had spoken of. When Ramius babbled his way through a hasty introduction, the redhead rested a calming hand on his shoulder. 

“Ignore him. Seems a pretty dress is all it takes to short-circuit his brain,” Beka said to Juice, her trademark grin settling back on her lips as she gently teased Nathan. “But I have to say, you’ve nailed that look. Like… Wow. The dress, the colours, the ribbon, the shoes… I’m in awe. You’ve got to let me have the patterns!”

She managed a smile that she meant to be encouraging. 

“Can we get you a drink?” the redhead asked.

== Tags to Juice and Nathan! ==

#36 Mid Robin Mayfair

Mid Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.24 @ 02:35 (02:35 AM)

Tyra chuckled before half shrugging. "Stupid moments are unavoidable, especially early on. The key is to make sure that, by the time you stumble into your "moment", you've already stacked the other side of the scale with less stupid moments. Though some people like to just come swinging straight out of the gate," the redhead said, her eyebrow arched as her blue eyes shifted to find the prime example of that principle at the bar in what looked like a strange Devil costume.

Huh. I wonder what that's about. Well, good advice in any event. 

Robin talked with Benjamin for a while before Tyra rejoined the conversation.

"Must not be trying hard enough..." she commented, another sip of whiskey pausing the end of the sentence until she swallowed. "I hear a truly disappointed Southern mother can haunt her children and children's children for generations... asking them if thats how she taught them to make biscuits and if they're really going to fold their towels like that. And don't even get her started on how the family tea recipe has been corrupted by heathens!"

Tyra held up a hand in mock horror. "Or is that just my mother? Probably is now that I think about it..."

Robin couldn't do anything but laugh again, loudly, an awful sound with her voice filter on. Jeez, people are gonna think I'm drinking. I mean, almost everyone else is, but still, I can't. The genetic repairs done as a child had left her very susceptible to alcohol, to the point where one drink for her was like four or five for anyone else. And I am not going to make a bad impression by getting hammered at my first real party in front of the entire command crew. 

Robin wondered what Tyra's home was like. She knew next to nothing about the Captain except stories, and she wasn't naïve enough to believe everything she'd heard. For a moment she thought about asking, but decided against it. Tyra was friendly and open, but Robin still felt the gap both in rank and experience. Maybe that day might come when you feel more comfortable. Still, the young nurse was happy for the good company. And it sounded like Tyra's family was similar to hers. 

"Nope, not just yours. Mom's biscuit recipe was top secret, and if I screwed it up she'd track me down in the Delta Quadrant and give me a talking to. And I don't think the ship's shields could take that."

#37 LCdr Mathew Briggs

LCdr Mathew Briggs

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 643 posts
  • Discord:9772
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22010.24 @ 14:42 (02:42 PM)

Despite needing time to relax and have a drink, when Mathew learned the arranged party was a costume party it sorta made him want to sign up for an extra duty. He wasn't the costume type, but as the lead up to the party continued, he'd learned how many were planning their costumes and some... sounded quite elaborate.  Mathew racked his brain for a costume. 

Something comfortable. Something I can walk around and just be me. ****. 

He had some help from another crew member as they'd mentioned think about movies you like and maybe come as a character from one.  It puzzled Mathew for a bit as he watched movies for enjoyment, not for possible costume ideas. But then, he remembered a movie favorite. One he had watched a zillion times...or just under a zillion... when he was younger. 

Yea...  okay.  I need a flight suit. Patches.. ugh.  I need to replicate the suit perfectly.  Put some effort into it.  Helmet. Yess....   

SO... Mathew spent some time on getting his costume prepared and once finished, he was pretty proud of the look alike.  He showered and dressed for the party in his new flight suit and identity for the night... 'Maverick' from the very ancient classic hit Top Gun. He had created a helmet to look like the one Maverick wore: black with red and white stripes, with call sign on it as well. Once dressed, he stared at himself in the mirror. He nodded to himself as a smile appeared but then faded as he realized something was wrong. Something didn't feel right. He checked the patches on his green suit carefully, checked the helmet, even his white undershirt, yet all looked correct from the thousands of pictures he'd researched.  Then it finally hit him. ****! Sunglasses!!   He rummaged around, knowing he had thought of this, but not knowing what he'd done with them. Damn it. This sucks! Everything...   He caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror and just put his head down.  Of course.   He found them, hanging from one of the front pockets. He slipped them on and gave another full look in the mirror.  Let's go get a drink. 

When Mathew entered, he carried the helmet under his left arm. He smiled as he paused to take in the crew here and the costumes. He couldn't help but give a smirk upon seeing a few. Who is that?  He couldn't tell who some were and almost started wondering if this party was giving security nightmares of not knowing who was who.  Perfect way to have an intruder...  not now Matty. Get a drink. All is good... just relax and get to know people.   

He spotted the bar and as he walked over, he nodded to a few officers he passed. 

Time for scotch.

#38 Ens Nathan Ramius

Ens Nathan Ramius

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 572 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.27 @ 03:36 (03:36 AM)

== NRC -  Lt.(JG) Liam McConnelly, M.D., Party Planner Extraordinaire, Suave Irish Gomez Addams, Perfect Date ==

Having found a spot to sit, Liam spent some time catching up with Ella. The last couple of weeks, the pair had duty shifts that were staggered, with one of them being on the Alpha shift, then the other on Beta. It worked extremely well when it came to caring for the young William, who was quickly becoming a rapscallion. However, it did mean less time for them. Which was why events like the party, and date nights, were essential. It let them have time to decompress, communicate, and help one another where they could. It had surprised Liam just how much he had missed having someone in his life. He had friends, but having the care and support that Ella provided far outstripped anything his friends and now distant family could provide.

“Wow, these costumes are grand. So much work put in, even with the holographics!” he mentioned at one point during their conversation, before taking a sip of his mocktail 'voodoo punch' which was really just a cranberry-lime concoction.

Every so often, the doctor did attempt to steal a kiss from his ‘Morticia’. It wasn’t hard in regards to the room, as most people were busy conversing. Even when Ella had suggested that maybe they approach the Captain or Robin, it wasn’t long before they got surrounded by others. However, it was Pugsley that often proved the wildcard, though Liam didn’t mind one bit. After all, it only made it more of a challenge to maneuver around the ween.

At some point though, McConnelly did notice a bit of sudden movement from the bar. His eyes trailed toward the direction that a pair seemed to be heading, falling upon one Judora Claymore in an elegant costume. She did look somewhat uncomfortable to Liam, though he didn’t know why – to him, she fit in with all of the ghouls and ghosts, as well as the myriad of orange decorations.

“Isn’t that Judora Claymore?” he asked Ella, using Pugsley as a pointing device for a moment, which elicited a bit of a giggle from the lad.

Then, the train wreck known as Nathan Ramius seemed to roll into the station. Liam had nothing against him, and in fact did like him, though it seemed they both shared a bit of an issue when it came to social interactions. Thankfully, Liam’s was limited to those blessed with gingerly manes. However, as rumor told, Nathan often managed to find his way into uncomfortable situations simply by opening his mouth, social or otherwise. Hence, the train wreck moniker that Liam’s brain came up with.

“That doesn’t look good,” McConnelly turned to his pale date, “even with Beka there, I’m not sure Mister Ramius is going to escape without some bruising of the physical, or ego, kind.”

“What do you think Pugsley?” he asked William, who didn’t exactly give an answer.

“Good thinking old man! Heads, the ever charming and unrivaled beave Morticia goes over to save the day. Tails, and it is the suave and feisty Gomez to the rescue. Ready?”

Liam spun William around, then carefully tossed him into the air, before catching him.

“Oh look, heads it was, darling,” Gomez looked artfully toward Ella, as William cackled in delight.

“Pugsley and I will guard the table querida mia.”

== tag Ella! ==

Edited by Ens Nathan Ramius, Star Date 22010.27 @ 03:43 (03:43 AM).

#39 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 628 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.27 @ 10:16 (10:16 AM)

When it came to spending time with Liam and of course William, Eliana always valued every moment, especially after the last couple of weeks when the couple had found themselves on opposing shifts. Not that it was as difficult as she had anticipated, in fact it had some benefits to not seeing each other as much, what with William and not having to worry about arranging a sitter other than date nights. Plus it just made the couple appreciate those nights and any other time they got to spend together was more special as a result. Also it was nice to be out as a family and enjoy what was turning out to be a great party, at least from where they were sitting.

Not moving around and attempting to engage in conversation had been the right decision as the room got busier but that didn't mean that they wouldn't. But for now it was just great to talk and enjoy William's reaction to everything. Although as Liam mentioned the costumes on display and commented about the amount of work that had been put into them, including the holographics. Eliana had to agree and loved the creativity involved as she took a sip of the green smoking cocktail that she had chosen. The aptly named Witches Brew definitely hit the spot and if this was her only alcoholic beverage, then she was happy with Liam's recommendation for such a drink. " I agree, I love the creativity that's involved" she responded as she set her glass down. 

Of course it wasn't just the drink and company that was making Eliana feel happy and content as Liam occasionally stole kisses, which she always appreciated, loving the attention she received from her other half. However when Liam pointed out Juice using a giggling William to do so, Eliana smiled at seeing her fellow security officer, admiring the costume she had chosen and quickly answered Liam. " It sure is and I love her outfit".

But it appeared that there could be a potential situation as Nathan led Beka over to Juice and understood why Liam said what he did and his concern about her friend. So when he asked William what he thought, Eliana stifled a giggle, loving the way Liam was with her son, before he was spun around to decide who would go over to save the day. Another grin for Liam's benefit appeared when he artfully turned to her to inform his Morticia that it would be her and it wouldn't be the first time, that she had helped Nathan out. Still that's what friends were for and as William cackled in delight and Liam told her that they would guard the table. Eliana gave them both a brief kiss as she stood up, " I shouldn't be too long and maybe have some extra drinks on standby" she said as she left them and walked over to Ghost Rider, Darth Maul and Juice albeit carefully due to her dress.

" Hey Nathan, Beka and Juice, you all look awesome" she began as she reached them. " Myself and Liam saw you and wanted to know if you'd like to join us at our table?, we have drinks".

== Tag Beka, Nathan & Juice ==

#40 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted Star Date 22010.28 @ 17:11 (05:11 PM)

“Hey! Do you want these drinks or not?” The call was from one of the servers, who had tracked Nathan and Beka down the bar. 

The doctor flashed an embarrassed smile. 

“Sorry! Yes please,” she said, reaching out and taking her cola and Nathan’s cocktail with a grateful nod of thanks. 

She didn’t intend to but as she tried to juggle the glasses in her hands, she took a sniff of the bourbon in the Old Fashioned. The smell of the alcohol was like a siren song, promising her a good time and not having to care until the morning. It was seriously tempting and she even found herself raising the glass.

Sydesh caught herself and she passed the drink off quickly to her date, thrusting it into Nathan’s hands. 

“Sorry. I swore off the stuff,” the redhead explained. “I… Yeah, I used to get loaded far too often. Haven’t had a drink in a whole 3 weeks but it has to stay that way. I do not miss the wreckage I used to have to put back together in the morning!”

Her job had given her the excuse that Beka needed to finally kick the habit. It wasn’t just that she used to drink, it was that she had such problems stopping. One quick drink used to come in so many glasses. Nowadays the responsibility of always being on call kept her honest. She’d wavered a couple of times, like just now, but for the most part she didn’t miss alcohol that much. Adjusting to being teetotal hadn’t been too difficult in the end, even given that most of the Artemis crew seemed to exist without much blood in their alcohol systems.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Eli swaying towards the group in her Morticia outfit. 

"Hey Nathan, Beka and Juice, you all look awesome," she began as she reached them. "Myself and Liam saw you and wanted to know if you'd like to join us at our table? We have drinks."

“Sure, why not?” Sydesh replied. “I’m a very cheap drink but I can’t speak for the other two. And you are rocking that dress, but I don’t envy you trying to get around in it…” she added with a grin.

The redhead picked her way through people to the table where she had already seen Liam and William. It was up to Nathan and Juice if they wanted to come too, but she really hoped they both would. 

As she got there, Beka nodded in greeting to Liam. Quickly, she dropped down to one knee in front of William. 

“Hey little guy!” she said. “Wanna see something cool?” She tossed her head and triggered her costume, the holographic flames suddenly rushing across her body. 

“Boo!” she said. Sydesh knew the little boy reasonably well, given how close she was to his mother, and was confident he wouldn’t be scared by her little light show. Even she wasn’t crazy enough to have tried this routine without that knowledge.

== Tags! ==