Campfire Christmas

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Cdr Jennifer Braggins

Cdr Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1613 posts

Posted Star Date 22011.27 @ 21:09 (09:09 PM)

==New Talax Colony, December 2420==

The Artemis and several of the other ships were still laid up in New Talax orbit undergoing repairs to their Slipstream Drives, only willing to conduct short-range scouting missions until their propulsion systems were 100% effective once again. Engineers from the remaining ships were hunting for ways to preserve or recrystallize the Task Force's remaining supplies of Benamite, but thus far they were having precious little luck and the precious fuel supplies remained sealed safely away in stasis chambers. Neelix and his fellow Talaxians had done their best to help, scouring local systems and calling in favours to find alternate fuel methods, to no avail.

This had weighed heavily on the collective consciences of the Talaxian people, and one morning Neelix himself had come aboard the Artemis and the other vessels with an invitation for those members of the crew not currently on duty at a specific time and place to attend a Talaxian festival. This was the second in as many months, their groundbreaking ceremony having been in mid-November by Earth date reckoning, but the invitation had not been refused - the crews needed to blow off steam, and so priority had been given to those who had been working through the first festival - namely the Tactical, Engineering and Medical staffs of each vessel in addition to the overworked senior staffs.

What they found when they materialised at the coordinates, however, was not a traditional Talaxian festival. A giant Christmas Tree stood in the centre of the newly-constructed town square, decorated in the Talaxian approximation of the Terran style, and a large campfire ringed by benches able to hold dozens of individuals stood to one side. Talaxians bustled about with traditional Christmas treats prepared using recipes Neelix recalled from his time on Voyager (with liberal use of Leola Root), and several stalls and benches held treats that had been replicated for a little more authenticity. The old Talaxian had also created a monument to the crew of the lost Voyager, that wherever they were, they were taking part in the festivities in spirit.

Later, Neelix would say that this was his way of thanking the Star Fleet crews for their assistance, and as a way of bringing the two cultures together in a way that had been impossible before. 

==Let the festivities begin!==

#2 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 674 posts
  • Security Officer, Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22011.29 @ 10:49 (10:49 AM)

When Neelix had come onboard Artemis with an invitation to attend a Talaxian festival at a specific time and date. Eliana had been torn as to whether she should go or not and at one point even considered offering to cover someone else's shift so they had the chance to visit New Talax. However following a conversation with Liam, who actively encouraged his girlfriend to take some time out and enjoy herself and be the social butterfly that he knew her to be. Eliana quickly realised that she couldn't argue with that and as always he was right. That was just another positive aspect of being in a relationship with the Doctor as he had a way of knowing her better than she did herself sometimes and besides, the thought of visiting New Talax and catching up with friends and other members of the crew, definitely appealed to the Security officer.

Of course that left the matter of sorting out childcare for William as Liam was currently busy with his latest research in the medical lab, but once again Nancy came to her rescue by offering to have William overnight so she didn't have to rush back or leave early. The older NCO was a godsend when it came to looking after her son and so she had promptly dropped him off at the arranged time along with a bunch of flowers to say thank you. With William taken care of, Eli could then focus on what she was going to wear. Eventually settling on her favourite pair of comfortable black jeans, black boots and the Norse inspired blouse that Beka had made for her. 

Up until now, she hadn't had many opportunities to show it off and so it seemed fitting to wear it for the festival. Then she paired the outfit with a black woollen wrap that Liam had gave her, before adding a few curls to her long blonde hair and subtle makeup. Happy with the result and after a quick spritz of perfume, Eli exited her quarters and headed straight for the transporter room.

Once she materialised on the surface, it took Eli a few moments to adjust to what she was seeing and how it was nothing like she had expected. Instead of what she knew to be a traditional Talaxian festival, she found herself looking at giant Christmas tree perfectly situated in the middle of a newly built town square. If that wasn't enough of a surprise, it didn't end there what with the campfire with benches ringed around it. Then there was the Talaxians themselves busy with treats which she learned were both created using Neelix's recipes and replicated. 

For Eliana it reminded of her home and if she wasn't already slightly emotional with what the Talaxians had done to recreate a traditional Terran Christmas, that emotion threatened to erupt upon seeing the tribute to the Voyager crew. That's when she knew that she couldn't of missed this and so after a little wander, she ended up with a small selection of treats and a hot chocolate, before taking a seat on one of the benches surrounding the campfire, appreciating the effort that had gone into all of this.

== Tag anyone who wants to talk to Eli ==

#3 Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 508 posts

Posted Star Date 22012.02 @ 01:59 (01:59 AM)

Benjamin took a cup of hot cocoa from the friendly Talaxian server as he walked down one of the tables laden with food. It smelled incredible, though there was a hint of some spice he couldn't identify. Maybe something local? he wondered, though he was sure that it had been tested thoroughly before being served. It was cold, and he regretted not bringing his gloves - he had at least worn his bomber jacket and had a set of earmuffs on - and the clouds on the horizon looked heavy.

He still couldn't believe what all their hosts had done for them. The Christmas tree may have been of local stock, but it was as full and beautifully decorated as any of the ones he'd grown up with - though the ornaments seemed very... eclectic. They just match the Talaxians, he thought, and reminded himself to be thankful first. He smiled and said hello to another local as he kept walking, and tried not to think about all the work he still had piled up on his desk.

I really should've let Sanderson or Ori have the job, he thought. Though they had finished most of the repairs a few weeks ago, there were still other problems they were working to resolve that were stymying the flotilla's engineers, and between research and brainstorming sessions, he'd fallen behind on his paperwork. They didn't say there'd be this much paperwork, he thought with a sigh, and took a deep breath of the cocoa steam to try and banish the thought.

He could still hear Ori forcefully telling him to go. “You realize,” she had said, standing in his office yesterday, “that they’re trying to get as many engineers as possible to go and rest, right?” He had nodded, only halfway paying attention. “Then you should know that the department is going to follow your lead. If you’re not going, why should they.”

That had gotten him. He'd sighed, and set down his padd to look at her. “I hate it when you’re right, you know.”

That had drawn the bubbly laugh he’d known it would. “Then you must hate me a lot. Now get out of here; shift ended an hour ago.”

Of course, he’d still done a couple more hours of paperwork, but he’d made a point to make it known he was taking today off and coming to the festival. Cera would punch me if she knew I’d forgotten my gloves, he chuckled to himself, but was thankful for the cocoa. He took a sip, and decided that it was likely better as a hand-warmer - whatever was sprinkled on top of this particular batch just didn’t complement the other flavors well. For a moment, he considered asking a doctor about Talaxian taste buds, wondering if they functioned differently to human ones, but honestly didn’t care that much.

Next cup I get, I’ll just tell them to leave that off. He kept wandering around, getting closer to the monument for a moment and bowing his head in respect before continuing on his way. He heard a couple of Talaxians talking animatedly nearby as he walked on; one of them, a fairly well-built man, was pointing animatedly across the open area. Benjamin followed his gestures out of habit, but couldn’t tell who among all the workers he was talking about. Feeling like he was intruding, Benjamin hurried on, circling back around towards the refreshments.

More Star Fleet officers had filtered down by this point, and he was happy to note Eli had come on down. He smiled at her, and felt a little underdressed; she seemed decked to the nines, while he was there in jeans, a t shirt from the Utopia Planetia gift shop under his Artemis bomber jacket, some ear muffs and a ball cap from the Academy.

“Hey!” he said as he got closer. He discarded his now cool cocoa and asked for another - this time, without the garnish - as he turned back to her. “See you got a night off to come down. Liam coming soon?”

==Tag Eli!==

#4 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 674 posts
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22012.02 @ 12:15 (12:15 PM)

With the perfect spot chosen, Eli silently commended herself on finding a good seat that not only gave her a good view of the monument, tree and festivities but also the satisfied feeling of being able to stretch both knees without the need of a support or painkillers. Considering the issues that she once had with her right knee, those now felt like a distant memory thanks to Beka and the reconstructive surgery that had given her full use of her knee back. The difference already made such a huge difference and now she could enjoy her usual activities and day to day life without relying on medication.

There had even been a change in her confidence because of finally feeling whole again, after years of pain and being miserable. Of course there was also some regret at not doing something about it sooner but that had been quickly diminished. No tonight was about having fun, of indulging in sweet treats and enjoying the full Christmas spirit, rather than dwell too much about the past. So after sampling one particular sugary snack which didn't particularly hide the distinct taste of leola root, Eli had washed it down with her hot chocolate, then prepared to move onto something a little more familiar.

However before she could pick it up, Eli heard a familiar voice and abandoned the sweet treat in favour of having company as she saw Ben smile and move closer. " Hi Ben" she replied, genuinely happy to see one of her oldest friends. " I did, thanks to some gentle encouragement from Liam and Nancy, who offered to take William for the night" she said in response to his questions about getting the night off. When he then asked about Liam, Eli smiled once more as she responded.

" I'm hoping that he does, but it all depends on how his research goes, with us being on leave, he's finally had the chance to spend some time in the lab, but I have to admit it's good to see you Ben, feels like I haven't seen you in ages".

== Tag Ben ==

#5 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 344 posts

Posted Star Date 22012.02 @ 15:57 (03:57 PM)

It had been a healthy walk from the main Talaxian settlement to the festival site. Beka had beamed down a couple of hours ago to check in at the New Talax infirmary before making her way over to the gathering. She wasn't feeling particularly festive but felt an obligation to at least show her face. When she had run out of the Halloween party after Nathan, she hadn't gone back in following the awkward conversation in the corridor, making her way back to her quarters instead. Her awkwardness in large gatherings still hadn't gone away and once she had been seen here, she had every intention of leaving early again and trying to catch up on the sleep she still couldn't get.

Sydesh had spent most of her leave working on the new infirmary with Dr Tuvira and the rest of the Talaxian medics. Her field engineering training and certifications with the equipment meant that they had had plenty for her to do. A lot of the installation burden had fallen on her broad shoulders as she supported the Engineering teams, her metaphorical foot in both the Medical and Engineering camps meaning she could act as go-between. It had been that rarest of occasions, one where her upbringing on a frontier colony had been hugely beneficial because she understood the challenges that came with working in that environment. Once everything was installed, it was mostly training; walking through how the power supplies worked and basic maintenance, to teaching the medical staff how to use their new toys. 

Not exactly been a restful leave period but I've never been one that idles well anyway. I've had some time to mess around with some design patterns, more than I'd usually get, so that was cool at least. Not half as cool as this weather though. Sheesh it's cold out here...

Beka was dressed almost demurely by her standards. For once her hair had behaved itself and she'd tied it back in a plaited bun, held in place with a kanzashi-style pin decorated in lacquered wooden orange blossom, along with light makeup and matching warm pink lipstick and nails. She wore a simple white polo-neck jumper, black jeans and brown suede calf-length boots with a fleece lining, and a long black cotton-blend coat to keep her warm. She would have loved to get her hands on one of the Artemis bomber jackets, but given that she was both still a Midshipman and also persona non grata with the Support staff, there was no way that was happening in the foreseeable future. 

One of the Talaxians approached and greeted her with a big smile. After a moment she recognised him as Jelal, one of the patients she'd helped on the asteroid.

"Ah, Doctor Sydesh! Glad to see you again. See, look? My elbow is much better." He flexed his arm with the tray of drinks to demonstrate, drawing a chuckle from the Star Fleeter. "What can I get you?" he asked.

"Glad to see it," she replied, a warm grin on her lips. "Are those coffees you're carrying? Because I could really use one of those..." 

"Certainly! If I can make a recommendation?" he replied. "These are as close as we could get to something called a pumpkin spice latte. Very popular on Earth!"

"Sold! I'm not Terran but I learned to love them whilst I was there," Beka said, gratefully taking the hot mug as he handed it over. Jelal bustled off and she found a quiet bench to sit down. 

The festive period was amongst the redhead's least favourite times of year. She loved the idea of it but it always seemed to pass her by. Growing up on Eisnor, her family hadn't celebrated any of the old festivals at all. Nobody had been able to settle down for the holidays - work still needed to be done - and even fewer had wanted to mark traditions. And then when she was on Earth, at catch-up school and later the Academy, Sydesh had always been one of the few humans still drifting around the place as the others went to see their families. Hers were gone somewhere in the galaxy, convinced she was dead, and this time of year always brought that fact into sharp focus. 

As she leant back on the bench and took a sip of the coffee, Sydesh's emerald green eyes drifted into a thousand-yard stare. Her trademark grin was a lot harder to find at the moment.

With any luck the senior officers can come down soon and then I can go. I wish I could be sociable but I haven't got it in me right now. And I've no right to start infringing on anyone else's happiness just so I can be less miserable.

#6 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1221 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22012.07 @ 21:07 (09:07 PM)

Ed was grateful for the opportunity to get away from the Artemis. The open invitation was unexpected, but welcome. It would be interesting to observe and participate in a Talaxian festival. In a way it was kind of a Welcome to the Delta Quadrant. He wasn’t sure where the planned exit point should have been, but either providence or coincidence had caused the Artemis to be the aid the Talaxians needed.

Ed’s heart fell slightly, then rose slightly. He had a love hate relationship with Christmas. There were bits of the Terran tradition that he loved, but there were also bits that he hated with equal measure. The sight put him in mind of the Christmas Continental Markets he used to see at home. It had been very much a cultural curiosity and the sight before him was no different. The Talaxians had been supplied with replicators at some point and alongside replications of seasonal treats there were Talaxian approximations of Terran snacks.

Neelix had been Morale Officer and Chef on Voyager before they parted ways. His inventive culinary efforts were known, but mercifully it hadn’t been possible to replicate the recipes due the lack of the leola root in the Alpha Quadrant. Ed hadn’t expected to be in the Delta Quadrant now here he was. He had found a stall which made the Talaxian equivalent of crisps made from leola root. There had been Terran curiosity for turning root vegetables into crisps and aside from the traditional use of potatoes he’d avoided them. Whether or not it was advisable he was curious.

Ed wandered around for a bit looking at what each stall was offering. The tree was a curious construction. It felt strange to consider that Christmas lights required mains power before technological advances meant that each light housed its own power source. It made dressing a tree easier by certain degrees. It was nice to have time to take his mind off other concerns for a little while. The Benamite issue was quite the sword of Damocles. The asteroid field survey had turned up some interesting minerals, but not the ones they needed.

There were a great number of beverages available, but Ed managed to find a mulled wine which was a non-alcoholic offering. It was a bit of a cheat as it was really heated and spiced fruit juices. Quite warming for a cold evening, He was wrapped up in a good thermal coat. So he was reasonably warm as he wandered over to the campfire. The leola root crisps were odd, but he’d managed to acquire a small bag of roasted nuts. He sat and watched the fire for a bit. For the moment it was amusing to dwell upon how far he was from Alpha Quadrant. Still in the same galaxy, but light years from the planet he occasionally called home.

Edited by Cdr Edward Gregg, Star Date 22012.07 @ 21:10 (09:10 PM).

#7 Ens Robin Mayfair

Ens Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted Star Date 22012.07 @ 22:58 (10:58 PM)

The transporter effect shimmered as Robin appeared near the Christmas tree. She gasped as she saw it.

Wow, I haven't seen one of those in a while. She laughed inwardly. The trees on Iota Tau had mostly been stunted things, few larger than four meters, but the residents of the colony had kept up the tradition and decorated them every year. If anything they were more religious than the people of Terra, and Christmas for them meant more than just an opportunity to exchange presents. Reminds me of the ones I saw on Earth. Some of those were amazing. The Talaxians had done a fairly good approximation of what a Christmas tree looked like, though with their own style. 

The nurse was dressed in a comfortable red sweater with a stylized snowflake pattern on the front and back, and dark green leggings. On her purple-haired head was a red Santa hat, something she hadn't worn since she was a little girl. The air was cold and crisp, but between the sweater and her natural comfort in the cold (typical of her home's nights) she felt fine. On her back was her newest toy, a deep red mandolin that she'd been learning for the last six weeks through computer lessons and holographic tutors. She'd spent quite a bit of off-duty time tweaking the replicated instrument to get the sound just right, and hoped to get in some time playing for people during the festival. 

But first things first. There was food to be had. The young Ensign headed over to the stalls, eying the tables filled with treats. She took a paper plate and loaded it up with cookies before filling a cup with coffee. There was a platter of dense cake-like squares and she considered taking a couple, but her sensitive nose picked up the smell of Leola root and she decided to pass.

I tried that when I was helping the Talaxians build their medical center. Can't say I'm a fan. It's not terrible, it's just... an acquired taste, I guess. They put in a lot of their food. 

The sugar cookies (that someone had iced with what looked like Neelix in a Santa suit) were fairly authentic tasting and delicious, and the coffee was absolutely outstanding. Several cookies cookies quickly met their fates feeding the augment's ravenous appetite. Feeling chipper, she decided to go look for some familiar faces. 

== Tag Anyone ==

#8 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 344 posts

Posted Star Date 22012.07 @ 23:07 (11:07 PM)

After a few minutes, Beka drifted out of the reverie she'd fallen into. Some of the snatches of conversation around her were in familiar voices and she shook her head to try and clear it. Almost instinctively she threw back the cup of coffee in her hand like she was a freshman with a pint of beer. The warmth of the drink spread out through her system and the faint tingle of caffeine was extremely welcome.

Hey, if it helps me get my head out of my own a**e I'm not seeing a downside at the moment. 

Broad shoulders rose and fell as she drew in a deep breath and exhaled. Leaning forward, she propelled herself to her feet and went in search of more coffee. Jelal had been right - the Talaxian approximation of pumpkin spice was really close to the Terran one and the taste was mildly addictive. She found him and took two, before taking his recommendation and visiting a stall that was frying heavily spiced and sugared doughnuts. A temporary dilemma of how to take the steaming bag of treats in addition to two coffees was solved by drinking one on the spot, and with an impish smile the redhead was on her way again.

Sydesh was starting to feel a little more like her usual self as she wandered around. The discomfort she felt in bigger groups was still present but she was dealing with it. It helped having some friendly faces in amongst the Talaxians. There was Jelal and his elbow. She'd seen Dilela, one of her first patients with the broken leg, and the woman had still been wearing the medical officer's tunic which gave them both a grin. And then she was back around the campfire.

When Beka saw Eli talking to Benjamin Elias, she stopped dead. 

That's the top I made her! Well damn. If that's not a massive shot to the ego...

Almost immediately she made a beeline to where the two of them were.

"Hey. Room for one more?" Sydesh asked both McKenna and Elias, a huge smile on her lips. "Eli, I gotta say, that blouse looks very familiar. Good to see you out and about! And Benjamin, we really should stop meeting like this! But if Cera comes down, I'm fine if you want to pretend to give me the cold shoulder and walk away," she teased. 

It was easy to see how close Beka was with Eli, but she was relaxed around Benjamin too. The redhead had heard enough stories about the Chief Engineer from Nathan and Eli both, and they had the shared experience of the Talaxian hangar, plus he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. They may not have been close but they had enough friends in common to hear about the better points of the other.

Out of the corner of her eye, the doctor saw a figure in a droopy red hat. After a second's pause she recognised Robin Mayfair, and quickly waved to catch the purple-hair woman's eye. 

"Hey Robin! Over here!" the redhead called. 

== Tag everyone!  :D ==

#9 Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

Lt (JG) Benjamin Elias

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 508 posts

Posted Star Date 22012.08 @ 01:52 (01:52 AM)

"Yeah, it has been way too long," he said with a smile, though it was a little sad. "I've just..." He sighed, and inhaled the strong, warm scent of the cocoa. "There's been a lot of stuff going on that I needed to take care of. With a brand new system that tried to destroy itself in the trip out here, combined with the stress of that drop to realspace back a couple months ago..." A quick shrug, and he sat down on the bench beside her. "Haven't had a lot of time to do anything, y'know?"

He'd seen Eli and Liam at the Halloween party, obviously, though he'd bowed out of that one far earlier than he'd really wanted to. The long hours hadn't really stopped since then, either, as his lack of time for his friends once again had shown. Instead, here he was a month and a half later, and nothing had changed. Is this what my life will be like? he thought. Am I going to just be perpetually busy until I finally retire?

He couldn't contemplate it anymore, though, because Beka walked up and plopped herself down on the other side of Eli, a big smile on her face. "Hey. Room for one more?"

"Eli, I gotta say, that blouse looks very familiar," she said. Benjamin hadn't realized she sewed, but it was pretty good work so far as his decidedly inexpert eye could tell. "Good to see you out and about! And Benjamin, we really should stop meeting like this! But if Cera comes down, I'm fine if you want to pretend to give me the cold shoulder and walk away," she teased.

He chuckled at that. "Nah, it's fine," he said. "I think one of her people said she was busy getting new supplies loaded from the Jupiter's stores, and conducting a proper inventory to make sure we're ready for more exploring whenever the captain gives the order. Besides," he said with a wink from his artificial eye, "I'm surprised you're down here without Nathan. Thought you two were joined at the hip now."

==Tags to those already present.==

#10 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 674 posts
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22012.08 @ 09:55 (09:55 AM)

There was no ignoring the slight sadness beneath Ben's smile as he agreed that it had been to long since they had seen each other properly. Eli also knew that her friend had gotten a lot busier since taking the DH spot. Yet if she was being completely honest, tonight wasn't about work as she was genuinely happy at being able to finally spend some time with him.

"It has and I understand, not surprising really given the circumstances. But I am happy that I've gotten to see you and that we now have the time to catch up" Eli replied with that same spark in her eye, whenever she was with those closest to her.

Which only increased as they were then joined by Beka. Eli was just as happy to see the Doctor and saviour of bad knees as her friend recognised the blouse, before teasing Ben. It was good to see her looking relaxed as Ben teased her back and mentioned Nathan. The security officer's absence did have Eli wondering if everything was okay between the pair as she responded.

"Hey Beka, I thought you would recognise it and it was the perfect choice for tonight and thank you, it's good to see you too".

It then looked as though their little group was about to get bigger as Beka noticed Robin and got her attention. Tonight was definitely turning out to be better than she had anticipated and perhaps she wouldn't need to leave early after all.

== Tags all ==

#11 Ens Robin Mayfair

Ens Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted Star Date 22012.09 @ 00:25 (12:25 AM)

"Hey Robin! Over here!" Beka called. 

Robin waved back and walked over, destroying another innocent sugar cookie before she arrived. Of the small plate full there were only a few left. 

"Heya Beka! Eli! And Benjamin! Good to see you. Merry Christmas, all." She grinned, her slight southern accent slipping through as she spoke. "What do you all think of the festival? I'm amazed at what the Talaxians have done. Even moreso because it's not even one of their holidays." The nurse held out the plate, where three cookies remained.

Manners, mama said. Don't monopolize the conversation, and always share food. 

== Tags ==

#12 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 344 posts

Posted Star Date 22012.09 @ 15:32 (03:32 PM)

"I'm surprised you're down here without Nathan. Thought you two were joined at the hip now."

Beka sighed at the implied question. This was one of those moments where she wished she was better at hiding her emotions, but the doctor wore her heart on her sleeve for better and for worse. 

“Yeah, about that,” she replied. “We had one of those talks. He wasn’t quite ready yet, and he said he needed some more time. So I guess we’re not in a relationship so much as… I’m not sure, a state of ‘first dibs’ on each other? I’ll be there for him if he needs me, and when he is ready, maybe we can try again. He’s a great guy and I don’t want to lose him, but I don’t want to pressure him either. Not sure I appreciated quite how into his ex he was.”

When the two of them had had the talk, Sydesh hadn’t taken it particularly well. It had felt like being dumped yet again, before so much as a first kiss, and she’d had such high hopes for this relationship. She’d taken out all of her pent-up frustrations in a workout so intense she’d broken a metatarsal bone on a holographic punchbag. Still, the enforced pause had given her time to reflect and come around to his way of thinking. It wasn’t a break-up. Yes, it was a step back. But there was still so much potential for a lot of steps forward when things were better.

"Hey Beka, I thought you would recognise it and it was the perfect choice for tonight and thank you, it's good to see you too."

The words from Eli brought the smile back to the redhead’s face. 

“I’m just glad you liked it,” she said. “It feels fantastic to see something I made, get used. Gives me some encouragement to finish off some of the other projects.”

That was when Robin caught up with the small group.

"Heya Beka! Eli! And Benjamin! Good to see you. Merry Christmas, all." The nurse grinned, her slight southern accent slipping through as she spoke. "What do you all think of the festival? I'm amazed at what the Talaxians have done. Even moreso because it's not even one of their holidays."

“Yeah, pretty good,” Sydesh replied. “It feels very close. I mean, I’m not Terran, but I went to catch-up school in Copenhagen and the feel was… Yeah, a lot like this actually. I think the fact they went to this trouble on our account makes it more special.”

#13 Ens Robin Mayfair

Ens Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted Star Date 22012.21 @ 13:53 (01:53 PM)

Conversations continued among the Artemis crew as the sun set. Robin sipped her coffee, savoring the rich flavor. 

Wonder if this is Neelix's doing. From what I read he was the ship's cook, and Captain Janeway was supposed to have been a coffee fiend. He probably learned to make good coffee to avoid getting tossed off the ship.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the approach of a Talaxian, one she recognized instantly. It was the doctor who had beamed up to the Artemis, Axan. With him was a girl who appeared to be about ten (at least by Terran standards). "Nurse Mayfair?" He turned to Beka, the other medic who had responded when Doctor Bix had collapsed. "Doctor Sydesh? I..." He hesitated, clearly uncomfortable. "I just wanted to thank you both for your help. I was hoping to see Doctor Sonaalk, too. Is he coming to the celebration?"

Robin shook her head. Bix looked tired. Since the death of the former chief medic of the colony Axan had been forced to take over. And when the Pathfinder fleet moved on he would be responsible for overseeing the medical staff. "I'm sorry, Doctor. He's still on board the Artemis. Vulcans aren't much for parties, and he preferred to stay and work." She swallowed. "I'm sorry about Doctor Bix. He seemed..."

He cut her off with a sad smile. "He was a craddat..." He paused, searching for the word he'd learned aboard the ship. "A cantankerous old coot. As stubborn as the rest of the colony combined. He never gave me a moment's rest, and almost never had a kind word for anyone. But I miss him already, and not just because I now have to do his job. Deep down he really did care for everyone here. He got us through some difficult times, and he taught me everything I know." The Talaxian doctor looked down at the young girl. "Sorry, this is Dreexa, my niece. She wanted to attend the party and see more of the Star Fleet officers, but her mother was busy getting the power grid functional." He chuckled. "And I'm sure the fact that there were tables full of sweets had nothing to do with it."

The girl looked embarrassed at her uncle's all too accurate statement. 

#14 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 674 posts
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22012.30 @ 12:33 (12:33 PM)

To hear what had happened between Beka and Nathan had saddened Eli a little as she had been convinced that the two of them finding one another would work out. However perhaps it just wasn't their time and that it would happen when it was supposed to. Eli was a great believer in that as she and Liam were proof of finding happiness and each other.

To show support and understanding, Eli reached out and give her friend a reassuring squeeze and a silent, I'm here if you need to talk. With that gesture and sincere gesture made, Eli smiled as Beka spoke about seeing Eli in the top she had made and how it encouraged her to finish other projects.

" I look forward to seeing them" she replied as Robin joined them and greeted them all. " Merry Christmas Robin and I love what they've done" she said in answer to her questions, once Beka had done the same.

When Robin then engaged in conversation with some of the Talaxians that she remembered from the Asteroid. Eli smiled at them in greeting before turning to Beka.

" What would you like to do?, stay here around the campfire or go for a walk?".

== Tags ==

#15 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 344 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.01 @ 03:14 (03:14 AM)

There was a moment’s awkward silence, as nobody seemed to want to meet Beka’s gaze after the news about her relationship with Nathan. Eli’s supportive touch was silently appreciated though, the redhead touching her friend’s hand in turn.

Just then the pair of Talaxians arrived. It took Sydesh a moment to place him but she soon recognised Axan, both patient and fellow doctor. When he spoke to her, she nodded in greeting, and listened to the talk between Robin and the Talaxian. When he introduced his niece, the redhead dropped to one knee.

“Hey Dreexa. I’m Beka. I’m a very bad Star Fleet officer but I fixed your uncle’s shoulder,” the redhead said. A mischievous smile spread across her face. “You see that man over there? The one with the black hair and the bomber jacket? That’s Lieutenant Elias. He’s a very good Star Fleet officer and he definitely has sweets. You should go and see him.”

Beka stood again, patting the girl on the shoulder as her smile turned wistful.

“I was sorry to hear about Bix,” she said to Axan. “I didn’t know him that well but even I could see how much he knew and how much he meant to everyone here.”

The honest truth is that we pretty much hated each other on first sight, but hey. A venerable figure like that passes on, you show them the respect they’re due.

"What would you like to do? Stay here around the campfire or go for a walk?" The question was from Eli.

“Probably stay, if I’m honest,” Beka replied. “I walked here from the main settlement and after all the training courses I’ve had to take, and shifts down here, I’ll take a lazy evening if it’s on offer!” she added with a grin.

== Tags! ==

#16 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Discord:Telsekk
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22101.01 @ 05:56 (05:56 AM)

==JO Quarters==

Following his meeting with the Captain, Asil sat in his quarters looking out at the collection of starships over the Talaxian colony.  Each ship seemed to glide in their orbital path gracefully.

He checked the floor to ceiling closet for his belongings.  He opened his small duffel and removed the contents, a battered but shiny communicator, a steel French press, and finally black shirt and pants and a light jacket.  He put the press on the shin high coffee table next to him and picked up the communicator.  He squeezed it and felt the switch click under the pressure between his fingers.  The communicator hadn’t worked in decades but it still that mechanical click made his ears prepare for a miniature voice to come out of it.  

A chime indicating an incoming message broke his concentration and he looked toward the small desk in the adjoined JO quarters.  He activated the screen and looked at an animated invitation to a celebration on the surface.  “Friends and Fun” flashed in a speech bubble over a picture of Neelix.  He first stood in front of a giant fir tree and then broke into a four our five frame dance which repeated over and over.

Asil checked the time,  looks like I have some free time before I have to sleep and report to WEPS he thought.

He checked his off-duty clothes for offensive wrinkles and when he was satisfied they had survived the trip unscathed, he donned them and replicated a festive red pocket square.  The jacket hung close to his frame, just how he liked it.  He ran a hand through his hair, the cut he’d received 60,000 light-years ago was about 4 weeks old but was nice enough.

I’ll have to get a haircut before my first bridge shift

He grabbed both communicators, pressed one to his chest and pocketed the other.  Making his way to the transporter he passed other crew members some in uniform but others going to or returning from the surface.  It was obvious those returning had a great time, as they supported themselves as they made their way round the ship to quarters.

There is going to be a run on sickbay tomorrow when these folks have to go to work.

==New Talax Town Square==

As he materialized on the surface, Asil was immediately greeted by a group of Talaxians.  The approached quickly flanking Asil and focusing on the others that beamed down.  “Welcome to our festival” a small meek voice said.

Asil glanced around pretending he not to see the young Talaxian girl .

“Down here” the Talaxian girl laughed

“Hello there” Asil said extending his hand in greeting. “Is this where the party is”

“Sure is, right this way”.

They walked around the small town square for a few minutes before the the young girl was distracted by other children running around, she turned to her charge and with puppy dog eyes asked if she could go play.  Asil laughed and gave her permission to play.

He continued around the giant tree admiring the lights and decorations before his nose zeroed in on a kiosk serving coffee.  Normally he took his coffee untreated with sweetener or cream, but tonight he wanted something with a bit more kick.  “What can I get you” asked a crotchety Talaxian male.

“Argelian Mocha with an Ameretto shot?” Asil hoped they could accommodate.  The Talaxian searched his collection of alcohol, then turned to the replicator and materialized a fresh carafe, he poured the coffee over the chocolate powder and added the sweet liquor into a shaker. With more and dexterity than he appeared to have in him he shook the container and then flipped it overhead and caught it behind his back all the while a cup of milk steamed on a plasma burner.  Into a festive mug, he poured the coffee then the milk and added a garnish, a small clipping of an orange root. He presented the mug to Asil with a flourish. Asil bowed his head and offered his thanks as he walked away with his drink.

Time to socialize I suppose

=TAG=

#17 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 674 posts
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22101.02 @ 12:17 (12:17 PM)

If Beka wanted to stay then that's what they would do and the same went for the walk, as Eli realised just how much it meant to be here. Of course she missed Liam and William but at the same time, being away from them and doing something fun was definitely what a certain Irish doctor would recommend.

So once Beka had spoken to the small Talaxian group and encouraged Dreexa to go over to Ben. Eli smiled as Beka made her decision and explained her reasons behind it. Not that she blamed her friend for wanting a lazy evening and the idea definitely appealed.

"A lazy evening it is then" Eli said with a grin as she noticed the new Tactical Middie and gestured for him to join them.

== Tags ==

#18 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22101.03 @ 00:11 (12:11 AM)

Asil made his way toward Eliana and his other new shipmates. He struggled at times with social ice-breaking, and as a result tended to stick to himself. Typically one doesn’t report to a new command mid-celebration, through the check-in process a new crew member meets the brass, medical and department heads, there are tours and the typical Q&A sessions. 

If you’re Going to be living and working with them you’ll have to say hello sometime.  

Quieting his inner monologue, approached and smiled.  “Good evening everyone,” he extended his hand “Midshipman Asil, I just got here, how are y’all?”

=Tag=

Edited by Mid Johnner Asil, Star Date 22101.03 @ 00:12 (12:12 AM).

#19 Ens Robin Mayfair

Ens Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.03 @ 22:47 (10:47 PM)

As the three friends talked with Doctor Axan and his niece they were approached by a newcomer. Robin tried to place him, but couldn't. One of the crew of another ship, perhaps? For all she knew he could be someone from the Artemis... it wasn't like she knew everyone on the ship anyway. “Good evening everyone,” he extended his hand “Midshipman Asil, I just got here, how are y’all?”

Never one to ignore proper manners, the purple-haired nurse took his hand and shook it politely. "Hi Asil," she said with a smile. "I'm Robin. This is Beka," indicating a redhead wearing a polo and black jeans, "and this is Eli," motioning towards a young blond woman in a Norse-style blouse. "Beka and I are medics aboard the Artemis, and Eli is a Security officer there. This is Benjamin, the ship's Chief Engineer. Welcome to the party. We were really just getting started talking, so you're welcome to join us." 

"And this is Doctor Axan, the Talaxian's chief doctor and his niece Dreexa. We've all been helping the Talaxians get settled in, and they threw us this party as thanks." 

== Tag Everyone ==

#20 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 344 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.04 @ 00:43 (12:43 AM)

“A lazy evening it is then," Eli said, much to Beka’s relief.

“Works for me,” she replied. “For once, I’m happy to sit in the background and let other people do the lifting.”

The Security officer then waved at someone else, and the redhead followed her glance at a bearded man that she didn’t recognise.

Eli knows everybody, I barely know anybody. This must be another one of her many many friends... the doctor thought, leaning back on the bench. She suddenly remembered the bag of freshly fried doughnuts sat next to her and ripped it open, picking one out delicately and then wolfing the hot treat down in a single bite.

The man approached the group. He seemed a bit nervous, and Beka could identify with that. She wrapped herself up a little more in her overcoat, not used to the cold at all these days.

“Good evening everyone,” he said as he extended his hand. “Midshipman Asil, I just got here, how are y’all?”

Midshipman too? Oh OK. I’m still in that mindset of looking at people in their mid 20s and thinking they’ve been in years. Which is ridiculous because I’m bearing down on 26 and been here a month.

Robin was the first to respond to Asil, running him through the group and shaking his hand. When the purple-haired nurse was done, Beka rose and gave the newcomer a bone-crunching handshake. Wrapped up in the heavy coat as she was, there was no visible warning about the redhead’s strength, something she was only too happy to play to.

“Hey,” she said, the mischievous glint in her emerald green eyes matching the impish grin on her lips. “Like she said, I’m Beka. I also answer to Dr Sydesh, the Mad Whistler, hey ginge, and whatever else people want to throw at me. What do we call you?”

== Tags! :D ==

#21 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 674 posts
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22101.04 @ 10:58 (10:58 AM)

At first Eli wasn't sure if the new Middie would join them or not, but as he made his way over to them. Eli smiled, knowing how important it was to make new members of the crew feel welcome and to get to know them away from the usual duty shifts. Although did grin at Beka's response to them having a lazy evening, before Asil approached and introductions were made.

With Robin shaking his hand first and indicating to each of them in turn. Eli smiled and nodded as her name was mentioned, then got up to shake his hand once Beka had spoken to him and done the same. Eli had to grin at what was said as she then spoke.

"Hi there Midshipman, as Robin said I'm Eliana or Eli as I'm more known to the crew, glad that you could join us".

== Tags ==

#22 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22101.04 @ 18:49 (06:49 PM)

Asil acknowledged each of his new compatriots with his gentle smile and a firm handshake, although not his custom, he picked it up at Jupiter Station.  When he reached for Beka's hand however, his felt like it was on fire. The handshake lasted four or five seconds but even after he was released from the young doctor's vice grip his fingers throbbed. "I’m not trained medical personnel but isn’t your first mandate as physicians, to do NO harm!!“

He examined his hand, opening it and closing it with exaggerated effort, the pain was gone but it still felt like someone was holding his hand.  “Just kidding its fine, it did hurt though.” 

He finished off his drink feeling the burn of the alcohol that settled on the bottom of the mug.  He then placed the leola root garnish in his jacket pocket.

"I'm Asil and i.. never really had a nickname. So maybe I'll get one while I'm out here.  Before that though I think I need another round, does anyone else need one? Middies are buying” 

#23 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22101.04 @ 20:11 (08:11 PM)

==tags hehehe ===

#24 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 344 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.06 @ 00:06 (12:06 AM)

"I’m not trained medical personnel but isn’t your first mandate as physicians, to do NO harm!!“ The newcomer clenched and unclenched his hand. “Just kidding its fine, it did hurt though.” 

Beka couldn’t help but laugh.

”Well, yes, but I find on Artemis they don’t want us to stand by that so much, so I go with ‘do no harm that I can’t undo later in Sickbay’,” she said, the huge smile spreading across her face. “And seeing as I’m the emergency specialist who can run the tissue cloners and reattach limbs, that doesn’t really rule much out.”

“I'm Asil and I... never really had a nickname,” Asil replied. “So maybe I'll get one while I'm out here. Before that though I think I need another round, does anyone else need one? Middies are buying.”

”Correction. That middle is buying,” Beka said quickly. “This crew does at least 2 things better than any other in the fleet. Run up bar tabs, and come up with nicknames. So I think we’ve got you covered both ways,” she added with a wry smile. “But you’re lucky. I’m a cheap round. I’m told the Talaxians do a great version of hot chocolate. One of those would be great, thanks!”

Whilst pretty much everyone Sydesh had met on Artemis liked a drink, or more accurately liked several drinks followed by several more drinks and then some more drinks for the road, the doctor herself had stuck to her vow to stay teetotal. It was a strange feeling being the only sober one in the room, something that had happened to her a few times already, but it came with the responsibility of her job and she took that very seriously.

== Back atcha! Taking on tabs for this crew is a real rookie mistake...  :D ==

#25 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 674 posts
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22101.08 @ 07:43 (07:43 AM)

Seeing Asil's reaction to Beka's handshake and her friend's response after, told Eli that the new Midshipman would fit in well with their little unique and one of a kind family. That was the best way to describe it especially being out here in the Delta Quadrant. She may be one of the originals thanks to her prior service on the Getty, but she was enjoying getting to know the latest influx of crew and the close friendships that had formed because of that.

As Asil commented about how he never had a nickname and how that might change, Eli smiled knowing it was likely, before he offered to get a round in. Which Beka then corrected making Eli grin in the process as the Doctor went for the Talaxian version of hot chocolate.

As tempting as it was to go for something stronger, Eli decided against it especially since she had William to see to when she got back. " Well Asil with no nickname yet, that's very kind of you and I won't say no to a Middie buying a round. So I'll have a hot chocolate, the same as Beka".

No doubt her choice might shock some of those around her but she was happy with her decision.

== Tags ==

#26 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22101.09 @ 06:42 (06:42 AM)

“Hot “chocolate” all around it is then”,  Asil smiled again and turned toward away from the group.  He took a few steps and a Telaxian carrying a tall carafe crossed his path.  “Another round? He asked 

“Yes please,” The Talaxian was prepared to deliver the fresh “hot chocolate” to his table and Asil volunteered to take the karafe off his hands.  “May I have 3 shots of your best...  uh something alcoholic”. The Talaxian winked and headed toward the bar and Asil turned back toward his new friends.  As he approached he said “Mugs up friends” and began to pour the rich liquid into the mugs around the table.  “I ordered 3 shots of something... when they arrive if no one else will drink, I just have to take them myself.  For now let us lift our mugs and toast” in the most Starfleet manner, “to the completion of the settlement, the hard work paid off, and to the friendships forged.”  

=Tag=

Edited by Mid Johnner Asil, Star Date 22101.09 @ 06:43 (06:43 AM).

#27 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 344 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.12 @ 21:35 (09:35 PM)

With all the back and forth, Beka was actually starting to feel herself relax. Given the state she’d worked herself into earlier that was a surprise, but a pleasant one. 

Who knows, maybe even I’m starting to find my place in this big mad family of ours. That weird cousin nobody’s quite sure about yet. Or maybe the kid sister who manages to survive by making sure their mistakes are at least funny... I’m probably OK with either. Just belonging would be enough.

She sighed contentedly, stretching her long legs as the bearded Asil returned with a pitcher of hot chocolate. Holding her mug out when prompted, Sydesh nodded in thanks as it was filled.

“For now let us lift our mugs and toast to the completion of the settlement, the hard work paid off, and to the friendships forged,” Asil said.

”Wow. That might be more sickly sweet than the chocolate, but I’ll drink to it,” Beka teased gently, raising her mug and clinking it against the tall Tactical Officer’s.

There was a moment’s pause and then the doctor broke into song, possibly surprising herself more than anyone else. Her voice was a real rock singer’s voice, rough but soulful, and easily strong enough to carry.

“Here's to all that we kissed,

And to all that we missed.

To the biggest mistakes,

That we just wouldn't trade.

To us breaking up,

Without us breaking down,

To whatever's comin' our way!

Here’s to us.”

Sydesh had her huge trademark grin on her lips as she finished, and went to clink mugs with Eli next to her. It was one of her favourite songs and her voice had a lot in common with the original singer, and the sentiment could not have felt more appropriate from where she was sitting.

#28 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 674 posts
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22101.13 @ 08:50 (08:50 AM)

There was a small lull in conversation that allowed Eli to just think about being here and be given the chance to hangout with everyone. Realising why Liam had been so encouraging and would certainly thank him when she saw him later. However as Asil returned and asked everyone to hold their mugs out. Eli held hers out and patiently awaited her turn, thanking the Middie before he mentioned the alcoholic shots and joined in with his toast.

She may be tempted to have a shot as Beka made a teasing comment about the words he had used and grinned at her friend. Then came the surprise of hearing Beka break out into song. Recognising the lyrics immediately and smiled thinking it was very apt for this moment.

So as Beka grinned and clinked her mug with Eli's,the security officer smiled again and then clinked her mug with Asil's before speaking up. " That was impressive Beka and I love that song, it was very fitting for right now as was Asil's toast. This is definitely turning out to be one hell of a night and I'm glad that I was persuaded to come down".

== Tags ==

#29 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22101.15 @ 05:14 (05:14 AM)

Asil looked at the amber liquid, inhaled deeply and thought hmmmm smells sweet.  Tapping the shot glass to the table he drank. Instead of taking it like a shot, he savored the taste. Looking around at everyone he smiled as he chased the first drink with another.  The alcohol warmed his throat and stomach and he . 

"It's MEAD! or at least that's what it tastes like."

His tolerance to alcohol was holding however he felt more comfortable with his surroundings and his new friends.  He picked up the last shot, and raised it up. "When I was at the University of Mars we would camp at Olympus Mons or to Norway on Earth. While we were there, a buddy of mine taught me ancient custom called the boast and toast.  Warriors would sit around the fire, eat and drink from a ram's horn.  As they passed it around they'd either boast about an accomplishment, or toast before they drank.  I don't think we have a horn here but I'd love to hear some stories.  He looks like he has some stories to tell" 

Asil pointed toward a man sitting near the fire.  From his vantage he could not determine the man's rank if he had anyone his thermal coat. 

=Tag=

#30 LCdr Mathew Briggs

LCdr Mathew Briggs

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 649 posts
  • Discord:9772
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22101.17 @ 17:32 (05:32 PM)

Mathew had debated with himself about leaving the ship for a bit of relaxation, but in the end, chose to go, knowing he needed it. He needed the time off the ship. He needed the time to hang with other crew, get to know other crew...and he hadn’t been on this new planet yet.  He had been staying near the fire, quietly mingling with a few, sipping on a hot chocolate.  He was wearing casual, simple clothes: jeans, an untucked blue and black flannel shirt over a black long sleeved shirt. His boots, a cap, and a leather jacket finished his attire.  

Mathew didn’t hide his grin as he heard Beka sing a short song and then down a shot with a few other crew members.  A man with the small drinking group explained what the drink was and then he made a toast and then mentioned wanting to hear stories, pointing to Mathew. Mathew recognized this man's face from somewhere and instantly went into processing. 

Where the heck do I know you from?  Your face is …  I’ve seen you recently. Mathew began processing what he’d done the last few days.  I haven’t talked with you, but your face…  Oh ****. Is this one of the transfers? I should have looked through before coming. Think…   Asil. Yes? I think that’s right.  

A small glimmer appeared in his eyes Mathew approached the group with the man.   “Doctor,” he said while holding his hand in roughly the shape of holding something only Beka would understand. He finished his gesture with an informal wave, then threw in a grin and wink.  “McKenna… and…  our new officer…  Aseell?”    

Mathew wasn’t sure on the pronunciation, but greeted him nevertheless. If it was wrong, he’d apologize and move on. He held his hand out to Asil.  “Mathew Briggs, tactical department as well.”

“Where can I get one?”  He asked the group as he pointed to Asil’s glass. Stories are always better with a few drinks. 

== tag - sorry if I’m interrupting. ==

#31 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22101.18 @ 05:40 (05:40 AM)

=OOC not worries you certainly did not interrupt=

Asil turned toward Mathew and straightened up, "(Ā-sil) Sir, I was going to report to you in the morning, but I suppose now is as good a time as any."  He put down the empty glass and extended his hand.   "I'm not sure what this is, but it tastes really good.  If you'll excuse me.."  

He stepped up to one of the covered kiosks serving drinks and requested a bottle of the sweet amber beverage.  He returned with two sealed clay bottles handing one to Mathew "Here you are sir, The Talaxians call it Saragoasa Wine.  This one is for you."  

As Asil handed Mathew the clay bottle and a clean shot glass, he noticed another figure sitting near the fire.  Lone superiors everywhere.  "Who is that over there and why is he drinking alone?"

=Tag Commander Gregg and LTC Briggs=

#32 Mid Beka Sydesh

Mid Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 344 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.21 @ 00:45 (12:45 AM)

"That was impressive Beka and I love that song, it was very fitting for right now as was Asil's toast. This is definitely turning out to be one hell of a night and I'm glad that I was persuaded to come down." Eli seemed to be buzzing in the company. 

“Aww, thanks,” Beka replied. “I guess all the practice with Nat is paying off! That’s the first time I’ve sung in public sober, and actually hit the notes I was aiming for.”

She took a sip of her hot chocolate and smiled happily. Others in the crew might have experienced this kind of camaraderie before, but Sydesh hadn’t. Her previous times in a crew hadn’t been entirely voluntary. The weather might have been cold but the bonds she was forming with others were enough to keep the redhead warm, even as she declined the alcoholic shot with an apologetic shake of her head. She listened as Asil talked about his tradition with the horn. Almost instantly a dirty joke formed in her brain but she just about managed to catch herself. 

Not now. Some of the company might not appreciate it if we go for the anatomical jokes this early…

And then Mathew Briggs appeared.

I take it all back. I’m pretty damn sure this is going to go straight to the anatomical jokes!

“Doctor.” The CTO held a hand out in a squeezing motion, and a positively filthy chuckle slipped out from Beka’s lips.

“Commander A**,” she quipped with an impish grin, craning her neck to get a good look. She winked and went back to her hot chocolate as he carried on along the line. 

As the two Tactical officers talked, Sydesh gently nudged McKenna. 

“Did I ever tell you that story? Might be one for our next girl’s night in,” she said, still smiling warmly. 

It’s a great feeling, knowing that I’m really starting to settle in. I’ve got my own stories to tell about how I met some of the crew, and the highs and lows from working with the Talaxians here and on the asteroid. I’m not on the outside looking in any more. And damn, that feels even better.

#33 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 674 posts
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22101.21 @ 08:21 (08:21 AM)

"That's awesome Beka and I look forward to hearing you sing more" Eli replied as her friend thanked and explained a little about her performance. Whilst she wasn't much of a singer, Eli appreciated music and those who could, although could never resist the opportunity to dance.

As Asil began to down the shots and tell them what it tasted like, before sharing a story about a drinking horn. Eli glanced at Beka for a brief moment as she thought about what the Middie had said and not just about the story. She was more than happy to share stories especially surrounded by people she liked and the warmth of the campfire. As well as being impressed with Asil's ability to handle shots.

When they were then joined by Commander Briggs, Eli quickly responded to his greeting. "Hi Commander" she said as Asil engaged his fellow Tac officer and superior in conversation. Becoming slightly curious as to what Beka had called him as her friend gently nudged her, increasing her curiosity as she asked if she had told Eli that story and that it might be one for their next girls night in.

It didn't take a genius to work out who it involved and she would lacking as a friend if she didn't hear it. " No you didn't and yes that's a definite as you've got me curious now" she said quietly.

== Tags ==