Counselling Chaos

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 442 posts

Posted Star Date 22012.05 @ 22:28 (10:28 PM)

== After departure from New Talax ==

Beka glared at the Security officer on the bed. Her usual warmth was completely absent, replaced by a stare that was frosty enough to freeze a phaser bolt. 

“Run that by me again. Because it sounded a lot like you’ve ignored both previous warnings to take it easy and busted your shoulder for the 3rd time in a week.” If anything her tone was even colder than her eyes. 

“Look, I was just trying to help out in the armoury and move some crates…” he started to answer. 

Moving. Crates.” Sydesh cut across him, her words like bullets being carefully loaded into a chamber. “You were on light duties after shoulder surgery and you started heaving heavy loads?”

“Sometimes work just needs to happen…” Again the man tried to defend himself, and again he didn’t get more than a few words in.

No, it doesn’t!” Beka’s patience had clearly expired and whilst she wasn’t shouting, there was a decidedly venomous edge to her voice. “You know what you do in that situation? You go and get somebody else with 2 working arms to help you! We call them light duties for a reason and it shouldn’t take a doctor to see why! And now here you are, wasting my time because I now have to patch and fix an injury for a 3rd time, and your team’s time because I’m confining you to quarters for a week. This is what happens when you’re too stupid to make the right call yourself. One of us has to make it for you.”

“You can’t do that!” He tried to sit up, but the redhead forced him back down with an arm on his good shoulder. 

“I just did. Medical officer’s prerogative,” she replied coldly. “If I have grounds, I can sit one of the department heads down, never mind you. Now. I’m going to have to treat you. And if you have half a brain in your head, which frankly I’m starting to doubt, you’ll lie back, shut the hell up and let me work. And then you’ll go back to your quarters and you’ll ******* stay there. Am I absolutely clear?”

The glare Sydesh gave the man would have been enough to stop a rampaging targh. It rarely came to it but if she needed to, the redhead had a rare gift for conveying hostility and threat for someone who barely stood 5’8”. That particular survival trait had kept her safe in some of the downright dangerous places she had grown up, and it was useful on those rare occasions that she felt justified excoriating a patient who hadn't been listening before.

“Yes doctor,” the patient said meekly.

“Well **** me. A correct decision from Ensign Nickells. I’ll mark the calendar,” Beka growled as she located the surgical kit and tapped her commbadge to call for some nursing support.

Part of the reason Sydesh was so angry was because she had been the one to carry out the initial operation, and that one had been a nightmare after Nickells presented with no fewer than 5 fractures across his upper arm and collarbone after a nasty accident in one of the cargo bays. She had been in surgery for fully 6 hours and at the end of it, if he’d followed instructions, he would have been completely healed up in around 10 days. Only he hadn’t. He overdid it inside 3 days and nearly dislocated the shoulder when he fell over, and then the third offence that had brought him in that day.

The operation was relatively straightforward and done inside half an hour. Beka had reigned her temper in and repaired the damaged ligaments with her usual calm precision, and then handed over to the nurse who would wait with Nickells until he came round and then discharge him. Unfortunately for him, it would be Sydesh who had to come and check on him every other day as a result of her decision to confine him to quarters, but as long as he listened this time then he should still make a full recovery.

With everything done and the paperwork in place, including a note to Lt Coleman’s office that he was a man down and explaining the reasons why, the doctor retreated to the common room for a coffee. Her fingers drummed against the replicator pad as she waited.

“You know what’s both the best thing about this job, and the worst thing about this job? Patients,” Beka said.

There was another doctor in the lounge, a Vulcan, but she wasn’t particularly talking to them, even if they were the ones now bearing the brunt of her stored-up ire.

“The good patients are the ones that listen to us, take on board what we tell them, and actually follow the care plans. We don’t have to see them again unless something else happens to them,” she continued. “And then you get the bad ones. The a**eholes that think our work makes them invulnerable. Yeah, so what if they push it too hard too soon. We can just patch that up too and they’ll be on their way again.”

Sydesh was quiet for a moment, but only so she could have a sip of coffee.

“And the worst part, the part that makes me maddest of all, is that they’re ******* right,” she added. “That’s literally our job. No matter how dumb the injury, or how self-inflicted it was, I’ll still treat it with exactly the same level of care and diligence. And if they bust themselves up again, I’ll fix that too. But if they think I’m going to do it quietly, then they’ve got another thing coming…”

She let out a loud, frustrated sigh and then fell silent as she lifted the coffee to her lips. 

== Tag, Dr Yarek! ==

#2 Ens Judora Claymore

Ens Judora Claymore

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.09 @ 21:02 (09:02 PM)

== Dr. Yarek - Medical NPC ==

There was something distinctly satisfying about writing patient charts. Whereas a true patient interaction could be absolute chaos, the chart took this explosion and instead analyzed and appreciated its individual parts. An emergent crush injury with interossei decompression requiring quick action, several imaging scans, analgesics and a careful consideration of an unexpected allergy became a detailed study on the relationship between body structures, an
appreciation of the pharmacokinetics, and continued bewilderment of the mysteries of self reactivity.

Maybe it was the Vulcan’s nature that drew him to the controlled environment of chart writing, as much of a cliché as that was. Vulcan culture appreciated logic, reason and order, implementing it in all capacities. Yarek himself had trained in the medical sciences which was an ideal field for taking the chaos of life and condensing it into organized observation. Bundling that with years in the Vulcan Defense Force it was obvious that he would appreciate the function of well defined order.

And yet, something that he - and many Vulcans before him - had found to consistently and almost vehemently defy the confines of structure and order was emotion. Patient emotion and interaction was a beast that could not be tamed - especially when if came to medicine.

But, unlike his peers, Yarek had decided that instead of simply studying it in a fully removed observational captaincy, maybe he could actually use it to his advantage to more efficiently help his patients.

This idea had started when it had been repeatedly noted that his services had been received more favorably and were more often requested than those of his peers, despite the quality being exactly the same. Further research and questioning had revealed it was his voice - along with his relatively young face - causing the unusual results. It seemed, regardless of what he was saying, his voice had an innate musical quality that was reassuring to his patients. His voice was deep and melodic, and though it carried with it the relatively flat intonation typical of a Vulcan, due to the frequency it seemed to express a reserved calm rather than an overt lack of emotional expression.

The data showed that patient outcomes were significantly better if the patients perceived more empathy. It was actually this feedback from his patients, surveyed by his superiors, that had prompted the beginning of his research regarding species preferences and reactions to bedside manner and presentations. He and his colleagues had devised an unofficial and dynamic longitudinal experiment to improve Vulcan training in bedside manner.

So here he was, now working on a Federation ship, still collecting and implementing data.

So far, his main finding was that humans and betazoids were perceived to express high empathy. So he had adjusted his style to match their look as much as possible.

The most noticeable hint of this change was his hair. Instead of being cropped in one of the approximately three hairstyles typically seen by Vulcans, his pitch black hair was parted and actually styled. The style adequately hid both the very tips of his ears and the highest points of his eyebrows, visually lessening the harshness typical of a Vulcan face. To someone not paying attention, he might have passed as human at first glance.

This mistaken identity was initially what Yarek had assumed had caused the woman who had entered the room to began to speak to him in such a conversational manner.

He had noted her when she had first entered through the whooshing of the doors, and had prepared for the possibility of conversation if the situation arose. His brain had quickly recalled the short list of information he had about the woman: she was Dr. Beka Sydesh, human, Trauma and Emergency specialty, extroverted, competent, athletic, and generally liked by the crew.

It was these details, and the content of her conversation, that led him to the idea that he was likely actually being generally addressed due to having the same profession. She was likely seeking “commiseration.”

This was an interesting interaction he had not yet had the opportunity to study beyond observation. Non-Vulcan colleges - while cordial to him - rarely sought direct social interaction with him beyond formalities during large social gatherings. This was completely understandable, but did not lend itself to data collection.

But here this woman was, attempting to commiserate with him. He glanced down at the chart he had been reviewing, and then looked up. There was something satisfying about writing charts. But the opportunity to further his understanding of the chaos and finesse of social interaction and emotion, that was far more more interesting.

He quickly analyzed the content of what she had said. She was feeling... annoyed?... by patient interactions and compliance. Judging by the state of apparent agitation, it was likely this had been caused by a recent patient interaction. This was a common frustration expressed by medical personnel, one that he had heard discussed many times, so he had some ideas about where the conversation could go.

Now to engage.

“Your dedication to their health despite the lack of compliance is the sign of a good doctor.” Yarek said, his face and voice neutral in true Vulcan fashion.

But he’d decided to go all in on the conversation and social data he could get out of it. He allowed the corners of his mouth to turn up slightly, and the smallest of creases appeared - a subtle conspiratorial smile. With the slight change in his face, there was suddenly slightly more warmth in his voice as he continued. “But it is, in my experience, passion that makes a great doctor, which you seem to have in bounds.”

== Tag Sydesh! ==

#3 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 442 posts

Posted Star Date 22102.07 @ 20:55 (08:55 PM)

Truth be told, Beka hadn’t really looked too closely at the other person in the break room. She’d seen the styled hair and pale skin and figured it was safe ground. Now that she looked closer, and saw the calculating look in the other doctor’s eyes, she realised it was Yarek she was talking to.

Damn it! I have got to start making sure I’m going to get a response that’s even vaguely what I wanted to hear. Because here comes a lecture about letting my emotions take charge. And I wish him luck with that…

Sydesh was one of those people that wore their heart on their sleeve, and was absolutely adamant that it was a good thing. It let her empathise with her patients and crewmates, helped them know she was going through what they were, and also draw on her confidence and strength when they needed to. She understood the reasoning used by those who maintained a stiff emotional neutrality, but she found it extremely difficult to do herself. 

All of that made Yarek’s response all the more puzzling. 

“Your dedication to their health despite the lack of compliance is the sign of a good doctor,” he said, in a traditional Vulcan monotone. “But it is, in my experience, passion that makes a great doctor, which you seem to have in bounds.” 

There was a warmth in his voice as he finished speaking that was completely unexpected as well. Beka blinked, her forehead furrowing as she tried to take that in.

“OK. Not where I thought you’d go,” she replied. “I mean, thank you. I appreciate the kind words, I do. I just wasn’t expecting them.”

Sydesh didn’t really know Yarek that well, and her stubborn refusal to engage with any of the gossip circles and rumour mills meant that she was working exclusively from first impressions. His words had stoked her curiosity though, and unbidden she moved around to where he sat and took a seat at his table. 

“Hope you don’t mind,” Beka said. “Please tell me if you want me to go. But what you just said… I’d love to hear where it came from. You’re the first Vulcan I’ve ever heard extol the virtues of emotion, let alone show any. What gives?”

She tilted her head, her manner open and keen to listen. The redhead was, after all, a doctor, and something as unusual as this definitely warranted some investigation. 

And my favourite kind of investigation is a friendly chat over some coffee…

== Back atcha! ==