AT/D08 - Medical Complex

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#101 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.08 @ 22:22 (10:22 PM)

Beka wrapped her arms around Robin and held her tightly, feeling every inch the protective big sister. She knew all too well what it was like to be on a cutting-edge Star Fleet vessel, behind shields and phaser banks and a fully staffed Security department, and still feel vulnerable. If there was anything she could do to help her friend feel safe, then she would without a second thought.

The profanity made a ginger eyebrow rise, but otherwise Sydesh kept quiet as Mayfair got things off her chest. 

It must be bad if she’s letting rip… I don’t think I’ve ever heard her swear before, even if I do manage to make up the difference and f-bomb enough for both of us.

As Robin broke off and took a step away, Beka was pretty sure she knew what was coming, the words that did the damage. All the same, it still stung to hear ‘Augment freak’. 

“You think we’ve come so far along as a species, and then you get knuckle-dragging troglodytic behaviour like that,” the redhead replied with a frustrated sigh. She leaned back against the table, hands resting on the edge.

“But don’t ever think that this makes you weak,” Sydesh added, looking over. “I mean, I’ve cried… I think like 11 times or something since I’ve gotten here? I cried on that first day when we left dock, and when Jenny Braggins tore me a new one for fighting, and when Nathan dumped me, and pretty much every time someone has done something kind for me.” 

She cracked a smile. 

“There’s many different kinds of tough or strong. And you’re never gonna convince me that the whole macho, never-cry, never-admit-defeat routine is one of them. You want strength? Strength is knowing that the Browards of this galaxy exist, and still walking out there to show how much better you are every damn day. And you do, Girl Who Sings at Kazon.”

The smile became a grin as Beka winked at Robin. 

“That strength of yours has nothing to do with being an Augment. The reason you’re Head Nurse has nothing to do with it. You’ve got the job because you don’t bully or belittle anyone. You help. You build others up. You have a way with patients, to make them feel safe even as some ginger-haired lunatic takes off bits of them. That’s why the likes of Broward will always have to crane their necks to see just how far above them you are.”

She reached out and gently squeezed her friend’s hand. 

“The cheap shots will sting a while. And sometimes, yeah, it really helps to have a damned good cry to let it all out, and let someone else take the burden for a little while. But I’ll never think less of you for it. Never. And you shouldn’t either.” 

== Back atcha! ==

#102 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.09 @ 01:09 (01:09 AM)

"Girl Who Sings at Kazon” got a genuine laugh out of Robin and punctured the bubble of self-pity she'd been in. She wiped away the new tears and felt a bit better. Beka's words were exactly what she needed, as much as the hug. She took another deep breath, closed her eyes, and focused herself for a moment. The feeling of depression was still there, of course, but she felt like she could manage it better with her friend's help. Beka was right, too. She really did try to help people, to be there for others when they were suffering. It was the reason she'd gotten into this line of work. 

"Honestly, I think that when I've gotten this out of my system I'll be the better for it. In a way, Broward did me a favor. It's the first time I've pushed back against something like that. In the past I pretended I hadn't heard the quiet insults, but she put my back against the wall. It's one thing to hear it in the Academy, but to hear it from someone who I now outrank? Yeah, there was no way I was going to let that slide. I'm hoping I put the fear of God into her, just a little. I don't think she's going to mess with me again, or think she can bully me."

She gripped Beka's hand tightly. "But it was a reminder that I'm never going to be free of the stigma entirely. The Artemis crew has been really accepting, but there are always going to be 'knuckle-dragging troglodytes' out there." The young nurse sighed, the tears having stopped. "It it what it is." Beka understood, of course... she had been judged by more than a few of the crew, insulted as a 'pirate,' and treated like absolute crap. 

She gave her friend another hug. "Thanks. You've really, really helped. I think I'll be OK, now."

And since we're talking, maybe this is the time to bring something up. I haven't wanted to say anything until I had something to say, but I owe Beka big time. Maybe I can give her some hope. Or it might hurt more, since there's literally nothing either of us can do about it while we're on the other side of the galaxy from the Federation.

She turned so she could face her friend, and hesitated for a moment, trying to figure out how to change the subject... and whether she should. It could all be for nothing. "Beka... there's something I want to tell you, something I suspected the day we had our first talk in the lounge. I didn't want to say anything until I could give you something, because that's all I've got, suspicions. And we're stuck in the Delta Quadrant, so it's not like we can act on it." She stood up straight, hoping she wasn't hurting her friend. "You remember I told you that I stowed away on a freighter, the SS Triple Seven, when I left Iota Tau? When you told me your story that night something clicked... that ship had been part of the rescue effort on Eisnor, about a year before I 'joined' the crew." 

The nurse steeled herself and continued. "I had been hoping against hope I could give you some information about your family, so I sent a message to Captain Cardon after the first subspace relays went up. He hadn't seen your folks, and the logs said they hadn't been aboard the ship during the rescue. It was a dead end, but I asked him to start digging. He has contacts all across the Federation, both legitimate and not-so-much. If there's anyone who can find the trail, it's him." She sighed again. "I hope you don't mind. It would mean the world to me if I could help you find your family. If you want I can give you his contact information. Maybe when we get back to the Alpha Quadrant we might have something to go on." 

IF we get back. So far the mission isn't going well, and we don't even have Slipstream. Right now, without a functioning deflector we barely even have warp. 

== Tag! ==

#103 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.09 @ 18:42 (06:42 PM)

As Robin fell into her arms again, Beka leant her head against her friend’s. 

"Thanks. You've really, really helped. I think I'll be OK, now."

“I’m glad.” The redhead chuckled quietly. “Look at us go. Pair of outsiders, to Head Nurse, and sometime 3rd in command. Harder they knock us down, the bigger the comeback.”

They broke off, and as they did there was an earnest look in Mayfair’s purple eyes that hadn’t been there before. 

"Beka... there's something I want to tell you, something I suspected the day we had our first talk in the lounge. I didn't want to say anything until I could give you something, because that's all I've got, suspicions. And we're stuck in the Delta Quadrant, so it's not like we can act on it."

The doctor leant back against the table, a sudden guardedness to her expression. She never would have admitted it but part of her was steeled against some horrible betrayal. Things had never gone this well for her for this long before. Maybe now that run was about to come to an end?

What could she have kept that’s got her this worried?

When the words tumbled out of Mayfair’s mouth, Sydesh’s face changed. She went from horrified to hopeful to guarded and everything in between. Eventually she just held her hands over her face as emotions coursed through her that she hadn’t been ready to deal with.

"I hope you don't mind. It would mean the world to me if I could help you find your family. If you want I can give you his contact information. Maybe when we get back to the Alpha Quadrant we might have something to go on," Robin finished.

There was a moment’s silence before Beka could rally enough to drop her hands and take a deep breath. 

“Wow… Erm…” She tried to speak, but had to give it a few moments more before she could find the words. “That’s… That’s a lot to unpack,” she said eventually. “I mean, I wish you’d told me sooner, and… y’know… not in the middle of a shift. Not being ungrateful or anything, I’m really not, but this is one of those old wounds that takes a lot out of me every time it comes up.” 

Sydesh looked down at the floor and took a long, slow breath to compose herself. 

“I’m definitely going to take you up on that,” she added, green eyes flicking up and holding the gaze with Mayfair. There was no room for misinterpreting that look - she was going to hold her friend to the offer. “Like, the moment we’re on shore leave, I want to go and see this guy. I want to know what he knows and if he gives me any leads, I’m going to follow them up. My family meant the world to me. I mean, we were dysfunctional as all hell. I didn’t even find out until medical school that the guy I’d called Dad couldn’t possibly be my biological father. And they were such stubborn independents that I have no idea how they’re going to react to me wearing one of these.”

She pulled at the shoulder of her tunic and let it go, before shaking her head. 

“Star Fleet has been good to me, I can’t deny that. The last time they saw me I was like 90lbs of scrawny tomboy. But yeah. I honestly don’t know how they’d react to Ensign Sydesh. They had high hopes for me winding up running some hospital somewhere on an independent colony. Working for The Man… Yeah. That wasn’t in anyone’s plan.”

Beka laughed and shook her head again. She wiped the corner of her eyes, hanging onto her composure by the tiniest of slivers.

“Stupid as it sounds, I just want one more dinner. You want to know where this tongue of mine came from? We used to sit round the table and shred each other. No holds barred. My dad would go crude early, my sister would play up the innocent look, my brother would just look on horrified, and my mum… I still don’t know what half the swear-words she used mean. There’s nothing I wouldn’t do to catch up with them. Nothing.”

She hung her head, a thousand-yard stare on her face as she tried to bottle everything back up again. It was going to take her a few minutes to get her head back together after Robin’s revelations. She could hear their voices, the last words they’d all said to each other with the burning rocks raining down on them when Eisnor fell. The wound when they’d moved on without her, thinking that she was dead, had never healed. And now she had to set all that back to one side and focus on the job at hand.

**** Robin, why now…

== To you! ==

#104 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.09 @ 21:19 (09:19 PM)

Robin had tears in her eyes again as Beka told her story. "And that was one of the reasons I was so hesitant about saying anything, because for all this I really don't have anything to give you besides the name of someone who might know someone who might know someone who might know something. Maybe. The trail could be just as cold as it's always been, and all I've done is rip the bandages off. I'm really sorry, Beka. Maybe I shouldn't have brought it up at all, and probably not now. My timing's never been great." Beka was showing tears as well, clearly fighting for control. "I didn't want to hurt you, to open old wounds. I promise I didn't." 

Beka's description of her family amused the young nurse, but it also hit home. Hard. She understood the feeling. Her friend had lost her family... Robin had abandoned hers. She'd run away in the middle of the night, sneaking on board the freighter as a stowaway, and had never said goodbye to her parents. Her mother and father couldn't have been more different than Beka's family. They were strict, quiet, religious, and often judgmental. And Robin missed them terribly. When the colony doctors and even the Federation itself had told them to give up and accept the inevitable death of their daughter they'd refused. They'd been willing to risk everything to save her, even knowing the price. In a way they had lost their daughter. The augment girl who'd returned with them to Iota Tau was a very different child than the one they'd left with, and not just physically. They'd tried to raise her as best they could, though in some ways she was a stranger. 

She smiled at her friend, the sadness and self-pity finally banished now that she had something... someone... to focus on helping. Beka was right, this was what she was, a helper and a builder. "And you've got a deal. The moment we're back to the Alpha Quadrant we're going on shore leave. I think you'll like Captain Cardon. He's like an old swashbuckler from one of those 20th century movies, mixed with James T. Kirk. I've asked him to dig, even while we're out here, but anything you can send back will help. Family information, pictures, that sort of stuff." 

"And I think I need to go back to Iota Tau when we're in the Federation. I've avoided my family situation for way too long. Did I tell you that I never called them in all the years in the Academy? Not once. I was terrified. They had refused to let me go, but the word 'no' never stopped me, and I was obsessed with seeing the stars. I'm not sure they even know I went to the Academy." 

I'm not even sure they know I'm alive. The thought was dark, followed by a darker one. I don't even know if they're alive. I need to do this, even if they reject me. If something happens to me all they'll get is a letter from the Federation telling them their daughter died bravely in service, blah blah blah. Cold comfort. 

She pushed the thought aside. "I don't know your family, but I have to believe they'd be proud. You're strong, and independent, and tough. You survived. You've already been given a position of authority on an expedition flagship. Maybe that wasn't the plan, but it's not like life follows anyone's plan. So how about we find out what our folks think of us?"

Robin smiled warmly at her friend. "I have to have faith."

== Tag ==

Edited by Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair, Star Date 22105.09 @ 21:22 (09:22 PM).

#105 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.10 @ 13:56 (01:56 PM)

"I have to have faith."

Beka couldn’t bring herself to answer that. The Sydesh family expected independence and toughness - where they came from, if you didn’t have both, then you were never going to get anywhere. As far as they were concerned that meant being able to stand on your own, not joining up with a galaxy-spanning empire and working on one of their ships to keep their people alive. 

I wish I could predict how that’ll go. I mean, I made the right decision. Star Fleet was right for me. It still is. But at some point I have to look them all in the eye and justify that, and there’s every chance I lose them again. Maybe it goes easier if I can show them how far I’ve come, but Ensign isn’t going to cut it and I’m not the kinda girl to start making things up.

Damn but this is not the time for those old doubts to come rushing back! I’ve got a floor to run, and a staff that can sense weakness and start sticking pins in it at every opportunity…

There was an awkward silence for a few moments more as the redhead rallied. 

Even if I don’t get welcomed with open arms… I have nothing to be ashamed of. What’s this, my second outing? I’ve got a promotion to my name and a commendation medal already. I can hold my own on a ship full of legends and point to the good I’ve done for my crew and New Talax. I need to build on that, not worry about things I can’t change from here.

When we’re back in the AQ, that’s the time to start worrying about this.

She drew in a deep breath, held it, and then looked up as she exhaled slowly. 

“OK. Let’s do this,” Beka said. “When we get back to the Alpha Quadrant, we’ve got some places to be. Visiting your family, and then trying to find mine. And we’ve got a lot to talk about over dinner sometime? But until then, we have work to do, because otherwise the boss is going to come looking for us and we’ve got some questions to answer about why we’re hiding in here.”

Sydesh wasn’t completely her usual self. That would take a little while longer. But she was doing a passable impression that would fool most people, at least for now.

“You ready?” the doctor asked her friend, her hand over the door controls.

#106 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22105.10 @ 15:26 (03:26 PM)

== Turbolift ==

It had been a quiet, solitary decent from the bridge, as Jas would have expected at this time of night, until the turbolift began slowing a little short of her intended destination. A glance at the panel showed they were near Deck 5 and she anticipated either an engineer or a tactical officer to board the lift, having departed the shuttle bay or the computer core on routine duties.

However, her eyebrow raised just a little when it was one of her own, Ensign Deville with a medical kit slung over his shoulder, that boarded the lift. The tall, young man seemed to swallow deeply when he realized who his lift partner was and took a moment to decide whether setting his bag down might be a bad idea or not.

"How's the arm doing, Ronald?" She asked with a non-chalance that would have been more appropriate if she was asking him about the weather.

He looked down, hazel eyes examining his forearm as he made a show of clenching and uncle ching his first. "Better. Still a little tight in the long tendon but it's working well. Thank you... and I'm really sorry. "

The last statement was about all he had been able to repeat once he'd regained consciousness after she and R had preformed the repair. He'd remained in private recovery long enough to get blood back into him but then had been quietly sent off duty to recover from "food poisoning", which worked with how pale he'd looked. For the sake of discretion, she and Collister had handled sanitizing the room and while no one had asked anything of Jas, she had no doubt Nurse Collister, one of the older and senior enlisted nurses had stuck to the story.

"You ****** up. It happens and I'll bet my retirement that you'll be smart enough next time to not almost lose your arm again."

He grimaced but nodded. "It's the hard lessons that stick, I guess."

"I also have no plan to let you anywhere near anything point-y or laser-like without adult supervision fit some time so that should help, too. R will be super thrilled about that..."

There was a sigh and Jasmine could only guess the conversation that had occurred between master and apprentice. Likely R wanted to find a new apprentice but Jas would put her foot down; after all, R had put the young man in the position without the oversight for him to succeed.

"I still don't know why you all went through the effort to keep it quiet..." Deville mumbled, rubbing the back of his head with his hand.

"Because there are mistakes that can serve as object lessons for everyone and there's mistakes that won't. You nearly cutting off your hand isn't much of a teaching point and making it an advertised mistake won't get you much more than a very unfortunate nickname. Do you deserve the nickname? Probably but this isn't the marines. We don't flog people with their severed arms here until the second time it happens," she said, the doors opening right on time for her to step out with a grin to his own mouthed response.

As expected, Sickbay was just as quiet as everywhere else. She briefly peaked into Tegg's bay, noting that he was, at least, as comfortable as he could be. With that check done, her blue eyes moved around the room, not the lack of the normal faces. She knew R was somewhere about, likely working on research for his new project, but neither Sydesh nor Mayfair were anywhere to be seen. And neither were her lead PA or her next doctor.

Slow nights equal coffee breaks in the Fleet, I guess, she mused before considering that was a better possibility to finding any doctors and nurses hooking up in the examine rooms. That would lead to some flash backs to monitoring boots all over again.

With a slight shake of her head, the dark haired doctor moved towards the examine room hallway that would feed her into the lounge and more importantly the coffee machine.

#107 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.10 @ 21:04 (09:04 PM)

Beka was definitely still on an emotional roller coaster, and at this point there wasn't much else for Robin to say.

“OK. Let’s do this,” Beka said. “When we get back to the Alpha Quadrant, we’ve got some places to be. Visiting your family, and then trying to find mine. And we’ve got a lot to talk about over dinner sometime? But until then, we have work to do, because otherwise the boss is going to come looking for us and we’ve got some questions to answer about why we’re hiding in here. “You ready?” the redhead asked her friend as she prepared to open the door.

"Definitely," the nurse said. She was looking better, though her eyes were still a bit red and puffy. More importantly she was feeling more like her usual self and ready go get back to work. She still had to talk to Gentry, though it could wait a little while. Regardless of Broward's reprehensible behavior he had been the one who crashed into her, and it wasn't the first time he'd been warned to be careful in Sickbay. He seemed to think that if he didn't go everywhere and get everything done as fast as humanely possible he'd displease his superior officers. It still felt odd that she was now one of those superior officers, like wearing a coat that was stiff and didn't fit right. 

Gives me something to grow into. 

"Lead the way, Doctor Sydesh. Let's go see who needs to be put together this morning."

#108 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.10 @ 21:58 (09:58 PM)

"Lead the way, Doctor Sydesh. Let's go see who needs to be put together this morning."

There was a slightly glassy edge to Beka’s smile as she nodded, but she opened the door anyway and headed out. 

Come on you. Head back in the game, she chided herself. There’s a load of procedures still need doing and paperwork to file from the physicals. Easily enough to keep me busy for the rest of the shift, floor or not. We can go back to daydreaming about impossible reunions later, when there isn’t the possibility of the CMO reappearing at any minute and wondering where everyone has gone.

For all she felt like Robin was one of her closest friends and confidants, the purple-haired nurse’s timing could not have been worse. Sydesh’s family was a topic she very rarely broached with anyone and for damn good reason. It cut deeply every time she had to talk about it. To have it come up in the middle of a shift and in those circumstances…

I know she didn’t mean anything by it. I don’t think she quite understood how many walls I’ve built up, and even though I’m supposed to know better than to bottle up something this big… It’s the only way I can deal with it. Or more accurately, stop dealing with it and do literally anything else.

She rubbed her temple absently, and then made a beeline for the doctor’s lounge. This was definitely a time for a comfort drink and some sugar to recharge her energy. 

As she headed down the corridor, Beka soon realised that the figure in front of her was Jasmine Tyrol. For a moment the Ensign considered bailing out and getting her drink later but she quickly dismissed the idea. Instead she picked up the pace and caught up, falling into step alongside the Commander. 

“Dr Tyrol,” she said, nodding in greeting, her voice clear and doing a passable impression of confidence as she reported in. “No urgent cases so for the most part the staff are finishing up paperwork or working on some bumps and bruises. Dr R had to leave the floor to see to something. There was a… uh… a disagreement amongst the nurses, but Lieutenant Mayfair has sorted it out. Did you want the floor back? Well. After coffee, anyway. Have to admit I need a bit of a pick-up too.”

== Tag boss lady! :) ==

Edited by Ens Beka Sydesh, Star Date 22105.10 @ 21:58 (09:58 PM).

#109 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22105.11 @ 01:34 (01:34 AM)

Jasmine was almost to the lounge when she heard footsteps gaining on her. They weren't heavy enough or accompanied by a general aura of gruffness to be R but they were too heavy to be Nurse Collister. The mystery was solved a few moments later when Doctor Sydesh pulled along side her.

The woman's greeting was confident and sure footed, a far cry from the nervous bundle of energy from months before. However, while her report was thorough, the delivery and sheer amount of details still spoke of inexperience but she was growing.

“No urgent cases so for the most part the staff are finishing up paperwork or working on some bumps and bruises. Dr R had to leave the floor to see to something. There was a… uh… a disagreement amongst the nurses, but Lieutenant Mayfair has sorted it out. Did you want the floor back? Well. After coffee, anyway. Have to admit I need a bit of a pick-up too.”

I'm not sure you need more coffee, honey... she thought before deciding otherwise after a sideways glance at the young woman.

There was a lot to unpack in that particular report. She didn't need to ask about R, she knew where he was hiding. She wanted to ask about the nurses but was worried she'd find out that they were arguing about the newest soap opera. And that was the best case scenario about what they'd been arguing about.

"I'll take the floor back... after coffee," she said as they broke into the lounge and she bee-lined for the coffee maker.

She was quiet as she pulled a cup out of the cupboard above her head, pausing before she closed the door to grab a second cup. She gently set it on the counter next to her own cup before reaching for the carafe. She poured a generous amount into her own cup and then, poured coffee into the second cup, which she nudged in Beka's general direction.

"So, rough shift or have you come face to face with the monster that some call the First Year Burnout?" she asked as she set the carafe down and picked her own cup, which was exactly how she wanted out of the carafe.

To be entirely honest, she'd rather not ask the question. Not because she didn't care about her staff, she did, but she knew well that her method of handling issues wasn't exactly compatible with the softer elements of the Fleet. She didn't coddle, she wasn't overly soothing and she wasn't exactly comforting unless telling a soldier to get their ******* head on straight was acceptable these days.There was a reason she had joined the marines and a lot of it involved how she related to people.

However, sometimes, there wasn't a choice and frankly, Sydesh's smile was strained enough that she'd be insulting herself if she claimed she hadn't noticed.

#110 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.11 @ 21:10 (09:10 PM)

"I'll take the floor back... after coffee," Jas said, setting herself on a direct course for the fancy coffee machine.

Beka managed a thin but genuine smile at that. Most of the medical staff was fuelled by caffeine and whilst the redhead had quit alcohol successfully, despite temptation being rubbed in her face on an hourly basis, she would have taken the arm off anyone who tried to restrict her coffee intake. 

The doctor trailed her DH into the lounge. She’d managed to avoid embarrassing herself so far, but she had a truly special talent for being able to turn that around at a moment’s notice. It was enough to keep her quiet as the caffeinated nectar was prepared, and she nodded in thanks as Tyrol made her a cup and nudged it across. 

"So, rough shift or have you come face to face with the monster that some call the First Year Burnout?"

Sydesh managed to keep her expression carefully neutral as she took a sip of coffee. It was rare she was treated to the good stuff, and she felt herself relax as the warmth of the drink sank through her body and nestled in her gut.

“Just some ghosts caught me by surprise is all,” she replied. “I’d really rather not talk about it. I’ll be back to bottling it all up and hiding it from Counsellor LaHaye like everyone else in no time.” A faint smile played across her lips as she risked the joke.

“As for your burnout, nowhere near yet,” Beka said. “There’s no way of saying this that doesn’t make me sound like a megalomaniac, but those tastes of authority, and working cases that test everything I have, and putting it all out there to save someone… I want more. And I say that knowing full well how dangerous it is to be saying it to my boss.”

The redhead grinned as she took another sip of coffee. She seemed to have come to life again, reanimated by the change of subject.

“It’s learning the lessons from last time out too,” she added. “Not taking everything head-on. Knowing that I can never win everyone over, and that’s fine. There will always be people questioning why they should be listening to me, Ensign Whistler over here, and I can deal with that now.”

Sydesh sighed, reigning herself in. Her passion for her role hung from every word - she really did care and care deeply about looking after anyone who needed her. That exuberance had to be kept in check sometimes and she was getting better at spotting when to shut up.

“How’s things with you, if I can ask that?” Beka said. “You seem even busier than you were when we left dock. Do you have many responsibilities over the other ships’ medical departments, like the Captain does as fleet commander? If there’s ever anything I can do to help, just say the word.”

#111 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22105.12 @ 18:59 (06:59 PM)

Sydesh was quick to wave off her concern,  implying it was something personal that she didn't want to discuss.  If Tyrol was honest,  she was a little relieved by that;  she hadn't drank enough coffee to step in for LaHaye on the counselor front. The young woman was equally as quick to push back on the idea of a burn out with all the enthusiasm of a person who had yet to be brow beaten by the profession they loved.

“As for your burnout, nowhere near yet,” Beka said. “There’s no way of saying this that doesn’t make me sound like a megalomaniac, but those tastes of authority, and working cases that test everything I have, and putting it all out there to save someone… I want more. And I say that knowing full well how dangerous it is to be saying it to my boss.”

As Sydesh continued speaking, Jasmine couldn't help the way her mind stuck to one particular part like mouse in molasses. It was one thing to say you appreciated the opportunity to develop leadership skills but there was an entirely different connotation when one discussed enjoying the "tastes" of authority. One involved shepherding subordinates through difficult situations and one, well, involved weilding power over others. She'd admit that she hadn't seen the usual red flags in Sydesh that were usually visible among the power hungry ladder climbs the Fleet unfortunately attracted but the red flag was certainly waving today, like an unmistakable guide for an incoming shuttle.

Hopefully, it was a matter of generational vernacular but from Jasmine's experience, she had yet to meet a worthy leader that wanted the authority, maybe the responsibility to make things better or maybe the chance to lead and develop others but not the power specifically.  Hopefully, this wasn't the first sign of a more pervasive issue but she found these issues weren't usually visible until that first drip of responsibility was instilled.

However, whether it was or wasn't a possible issue, it wasn't something to address today.  Much like power hunger didn't develop overnight, it wasn't cured overnight either. It was merely something she would need to watch for and address as/if it appeared.

"It’s learning the lessons from last time out too,” Sydesh added. “Not taking everything head-on. Knowing that I can never win everyone over, and that’s fine. There will always be people questioning why they should be listening to me, Ensign Whistler over here, and I can deal with that now.”

Jasmine wasn't entirely convinced that she believed that Sydesh had managed to master a skill that took most people years and years of desensitization to somewhat grasp but if the young woman had managed to make strides in not allowing the opinions of others to rock her, the older doctor would take it as a victory. It, at least, instilled some confidence, which was a good start for any  young doctor... within reason, at least.

"Well, just remember that old habits aren't easily shook loose and there needs to be grace for yourself when there's a misstep. Because there will be... that's part of the process when it comes to growth," she mused before taking a sip of her coffee.

“How’s things with you, if I can ask that?” Beka said. “You seem even busier than you were when we left dock. Do you have many responsibilities over the other ships’ medical departments, like the Captain does as fleet commander? If there’s ever anything I can do to help, just say the word.”

"I appreciate the offer but this," she waved her hand, "is a vacation from my normal busy.  If I wasn't worried about jinxing myself,  I might even call it mundanely charming," she remarked with a small grin.

"But yes, I'm the ranking doctor.  I'm consulted on all matters that would effect the taskforce, which keeps me busy. I also have my own research that's in its peak as far as time demand," she said with a half shrugging.

"And of course,  there's..." she paused as she reminded herself that she was no longer lurking around the black corridors, which meant she couldn't be nearly as candid about her collateral duties for certain divisions of the Fleet.  "Well,  there's other projects that I have my hands in that probably should be a full time job,  if I was a wiser individual."

The raven haired doctor hummed slightly.  "Actually, learn from me.... you'll eventually reach a point in your career where the opportunities are endless.  Don't be foolish like most of us are and assume your time and energy is just as endless.  I know you want to do everything and you're powered by that spark of youth but if you don't protect that spark, you'll end up like most of the doctors at HQ. Most were capable and brilliant but they burned their wicks to the ground with that spark before they developed the wisdom to know when to reach for the water bucket."

#112 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.12 @ 21:44 (09:44 PM)

Robin had followed Beka out the door but had headed towards Intensive Care for a quick check-in. T'vren was responding to the treatment, his path towards recover safer but still far from over. It gave the Head Nurse time to mull over her decision to tell Beka what (little) she knew. It had thrown her friend for a loop, though she was doing her best to cover it up.

I really need to work on my timing. 

But as the purple-haired Lieutenant spoke to the ICU nurse and checked readouts she found that she didn't really regret bringing it up. It had been eating at her for weeks, and she felt a sense of relief now that Beka was aware. How her friend felt, well, that was another matter entirely. Hayley was on shift and looked at Robin with a bit of curiosity as they spoke, but said nothing. Unusual, for her. 

God, I hope I don't look that bad. 

She headed for the wash room, splashed some water on her face, and checked herself in the mirror. Her eyes were still a bit red and puffy, but it wasn't too obvious that she'd had a crying fit. "Maybe I can claim I had an allergic reaction," she quietly joked to herself. She dried her face and headed out, because there was still work to do. The reports and rosters hadn't magically completed themselves while she'd been dealing with Broward. And she desperately wanted more coffee.

But that wasn't going to happen. Rounding the corner she saw Beka talking with Dr. Tyrol, standing near the Sickbay coffee machine, and decided she didn't want to get anywhere near. Beka needed some space and some time to think, and besides, seeing her talking with Tyrol was a good thing. She decided to just get a cup from the replicator in the Trauma Ward, and then settled in to her station to continue the tedious paperwork. 

#113 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.14 @ 14:49 (02:49 PM)

Beka’s head tilted as she took in what Jas was saying. It was an insight into how things really worked for the senior medics, and there were few more senior than LCdr Tyrol. 

Fascinating that she has research projects. Although going on how many times she’s skirted around giving much detail, they’re probably under wraps too. If she’d ever let me I’d love to spend some time and learn from her. She probably thinks I’m too crazy and emotional to be allowed anywhere near her though. Not a lot I can do about that. We’re just very different people.

"Actually, learn from me.... you'll eventually reach a point in your career where the opportunities are endless.  Don't be foolish like most of us are and assume your time and energy is just as endless.  I know you want to do everything and you're powered by that spark of youth but if you don't protect that spark, you'll end up like most of the doctors at HQ. Most were capable and brilliant but they burned their wicks to the ground with that spark before they developed the wisdom to know when to reach for the water bucket."

The redhead nodded at that one. 

“Yeah, I had the same from Jenny last time we spoke,” the Ensign replied. “It’s sage advice, and you’re both right. I’ve dialled things back, made more time for what I enjoy to keep a balance. Not going to pretend that making clothes and designing tattoos is exactly vital for the continued success of the mission, but it’s helped keep me more grounded. Marginally less full ginger crazy,” she finished with a grin.

It was hard-wired into Sydesh to go full throttle pretty much all the time. She was well aware of it, and since that long walk she still wore the hiking dress with ‘redheaded chaos machine’ emblazoned across the front. But it was true that since she’d diverted some of that energy into things that helped her feel better, like the clothes for her friends and the ornate leg sleeve tattoo design she was drawing, she’d felt a lot more able to deal with the stresses that came with her job.

“So can I ask,” Beka said. “Any word from on high about where we are now? Since the mine, I’ve heard things about trying to find a repair station? But that’s just rumour, and I can’t take those seriously.”

#114 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2528 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.15 @ 22:05 (10:05 PM)

[Crawford to Tyrol. We're at the station and it's empty. We're going to go explore it. Can you get JG Mayfair ready and down to the shuttlebay ASAP?]

#115 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22105.15 @ 22:33 (10:33 PM)

Jasmine chuckled. "I come from a family of gingers... there's only so much you can do there," she remarked lightly.

“So can I ask,” Beka said. “Any word from on high about where we are now? Since the mine, I’ve heard things about trying to find a repair station? But that’s just rumour, and I can’t take those seriously.”

"Well, I've heard the rumor mill can be pretty damn accurate on this vessel as long as it comes from the 'official' rumor mill but yes, we detected a repair station that we're limping to. I guess the mine took out our deflector and our long range comms. Hopefully, the station has what we need or we might be getting really creative to attract the rest of the task force to our position," the raven haired doctor commented with a twist of dry humor.

Any further commentary on their rather unenviable position was stopped by the beeping of her communicator. [Crawford to Tyrol. We're at the station and it's empty. We're going to go explore it. Can you get JG Mayfair ready and down to the shuttlebay ASAP?]

Jasmine knew the captain well enough to know that the request was phrased that way for a reason, likely to mask whether it was Tyra or Jenny that would be leading the team. Other than Jenny, Jasmine was the next likely to argue with Tyra about leading away teams and that was likely out of a familial obligation. However, she knew digging into that would likely just prolong the launch and irritate the redhead, which was doing no one any favors. She also didn't think it was any shock that Tyra was requesting a non-doctor and honestly, Jasmine was amazed she wasn't just taking a paramedic and apologizing for the snub later. For someone that came from a long line of doctors, she had a lot of superstitions about them.

"Aye, Captain. I'll have her on her way immediately. I assume there are no environmental considerations?" she asked before muting the channel. 

"I need to go deal with this and find Nurse Mayfair," Jasmine said, starting to turn away before pausing. "Once you finish your coffee and whatever duties you have outstanding, come find me by Med Lab 3. It's about time you get introduced to what doctors do when they're not fixing the stupid mistakes of others," Jasmine requested with a smile, referring to one of the restricted medical labs that were commonly used for research by the more senior personnel, before exiting the lab and heading towards the nearest nurses station.

It was Nurse Collister that pointed the way towards where Mayfair was, looking a little uncomfortable with the question but for reasons well beyond Jasmine's understanding. Upon finding Mayfair working at one of the stations, Jasmine had to mentally wonder if she was working her staff too hard. They weren't particularly short staffed, certainly like they had been during the Krynar war, but she didn't think it was coincidence that Sydesh had looked rather frazzled and subdued and now, Mayfair looked rather unsettled. Mayfair was a quiet one, Jasmine would admit, but there were the tiniest physical hints that all might not be bright and sunny in the young augment's world.

"Nurse Mayfair," she greeted, her blue eyes giving the other woman a more overt once over this time. "I have an assignment for you, assuming you are up for it? The captain has requested that you accompany an expedition to an empty repair station as a precaution. However, I can request Nurse Collister accompany if you are too... busy," she said, deciding to use the word 'busy' over the more accurate 'unwell'.

== Tag! ==

#116 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.15 @ 23:34 (11:34 PM)

Robin had buried herself in paperwork. She never liked this aspect of the job, and now that she was Head Nurse there was more of it than ever before. Oddly enough, this time she was grateful for the duty roster she had just completed. It had kept her mind off the earlier difficulties with Broward, and also stopped her from worrying that she'd hurt Beka. 

OK, that's done. Broward's on the next shift, and Ketree is on first. That'll make both of them happy, and I won't mind not seeing Broward very much either. Now I just need to finish the patient overview, pass it along to the next shift nurse, and I can go do something else. Fix someone's boo-boo. Give them some medical advice to ignore. Something like that. Nurse stuff.  

Doctor Tyrol interrupted the thought, her blue eyes giving the nurse a once-over that indicated that she knew that something was up. "Nurse Mayfair, I have an assignment for you, assuming you are up for it? The captain has requested that you accompany an expedition to an empty repair station as a precaution. However, I can request Nurse Collister accompany if you are too... busy." 

The purple-haired Lieutenant caught the hesitation in the doctor's voice, but there wasn't anything to be said. Robin was determined to act professional and justify the trust Tyrol had put in her when she was given the position. 

The Captain asked for me? Yeah, not a chance I'd turn this assignment down. And I'm not going to let what happened earlier stop me from doing my job. Besides, I've been on this ship since we left the colony, and I'm feeling a little stir-crazy. 

Granted, visiting an abandoned space station wasn't her idea of a great time (especially since seeing the movie "Alien" recently), but it would do. 

The request actually brightened Robin up and she smiled. "It's fine, Doctor. I'll grab my kit and report. Are we transporting over?" She stood up and stepped over to the cabinet where primary medkits were stored. She reached on to the top shelf and pulled down her customized kit, something she'd worked on in the last few months. She'd added extra treatments for burns and radiation and a Medical Tricorder that had a faster processor. And some space for ration bars, since her metabolism required her to eat fairly frequently. "Are we transporting over?" she asked the raven-haired CMO as she flipped the Tricorder open and ran a diagnostic. 

Better grab a sandwich on the way. 

== Tag! ==

Edited by Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair, Star Date 22105.15 @ 23:35 (11:35 PM).

#117 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.16 @ 11:55 (11:55 AM)

== Just noticed the double "Are we transporting over" line. Gotta proofread better. Ignore, please. == 

#118 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22105.16 @ 22:36 (10:36 PM)

== No worries! It happens! ==

There seemed to be an immediate brightening to Mayfair's demeanor as if the sun had finally broken through the clouds to rain down on the ground below. It was a relieving sight, as well as a testament to what just a small confidence boost could accomplish. She wondered if that was part of the reason for selecting Mayfair, one of the department's more controversial officers, or if the choice had just been a whim. Either was entirely possible and she'd likely ask about it when she got a chance.

"It's fine, Doctor. I'll grab my kit and report. Are we transporting over?" The nurse asked as she began to gather her things with an enthusiasm that bellied her mood when Jasmine had walked up.

"The Cap said to meet down in the shuttle bay. I assume y'all will be taking a shuttle over, though not certain what the logistically reasoning for that was," the doctor said with a shrug. "If you're truly curious, you can ask when you get down there -- it likely would be useful information as it will affect our ability to evac any injuries in a worst case scenario."

The raven haired doctor watched Mayfair gather supplies, watching the items she chose with interest. Jasmine wasn't sure what items made up Robin's personal kit but the additions seemed sound. "I would recommend grabbing a phaser on the way -- I know some of the medical staff finds it uncomfortable to be armed but in my experience, it is better to be capable of defending oneself instead of hoping security can do it for you."

Not to mention that I don't think Tyra or Jenny would let you off the shuttle without a gun of some sort...

"Now, good luck. I know you can handle yourself," she said with an encouraging smile and a pat on the young woman's shoulder.

== Tag! ==

#119 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.16 @ 23:15 (11:15 PM)

"Well, I've heard the rumor mill can be pretty damn accurate on this vessel as long as it comes from the 'official' rumor mill but yes, we detected a repair station that we're limping to. I guess the mine took out our deflector and our long range comms. Hopefully, the station has what we need or we might be getting really creative to attract the rest of the task force to our position."

Yeah. The ‘official’ rumour mill. Everything must go through Lady Morgan, or thou shalt not take it seriously…

It wasn’t really possible to describe what was going on between Beka or Cera as any kind of rivalry because, as the redhead knew only too well, the doctor was so far down the pecking order as to be irrelevant to the Quartermaster’s world. But the dislike was still very real, to the point where Sydesh hadn’t made any requisitions or asked anything of Support. She was adamant she was not going to end up in Morgan’s pocket.

Just then, the message came through from the Captain about the away team. For a moment, Beka let herself believe that she might have a chance of going, only to see it disappear just as quickly. As Tyrol made her excuses, the redhead acknowledged her with a wave and let the CMO go. 

Well that’s a kick in the teeth she thought to herself. I put days of work in to be more suitable for those missions. Ran through exercises with Security so I could hold my own. Phaser certification. Comms classes. Hell, being an emergency specialist means I trained for this. But no. Captain has seen me in action and she wants someone else. And to make it even worse, the boss wants me to do lab work and she’s floating it like it’s some kind of reward. I hate lab work. If I wanted to do lab work I’d have gone into Science, not spent years training as a front line medic…

Sydesh’s head slumped into her hands. The last few minutes had just put a massive dent in her confidence, and now she had to suck it up and make it look like she was somehow grateful to be locked away in a lab whilst all the action was taking place elsewhere.

And that’s going to take more than coffee…

Taking a deep breath, she exhaled slowly and went to dump the half-empty cup into the replicator. 

I know I’ve got no right to expect a place on away teams. I get that. I was incredibly lucky to get to go on one my first time out. But having done it, and done it well enough to come back to a promotion and a medal, it just really sucks to get passed over for the next one. And whilst it’s going on, I don’t even get to stand ready in case they need help when they come back, it’s off to hold a PADD for Commander Tyrol.

As Beka walked back onto the floor, she was already chiding herself for being so negative.

Well, maybe I get through the next few hours and actually build some kind of relationship with the CMO. I did say I wanted to, and I do. Just kinda hoped it would be over something I’m good at and not a glaring weakness. So be it. Let’s see if I’m half as smart as I thought I was.

“Oh good, there you are!” The voice was Nurse Golat’s, and she had an arm around Sydesh’s broad shoulders almost immediately and gently steered the doctor towards one of the bays. “We need you. Crewman Naren, human male. There was an accident in the cargo bay and he got his hand crushed between storage crates. Poor sod has 7 broken bones and it’s too much for Marini. Can you take over?”

“Er…” For a moment, Sydesh almost turned it down. “Actually, sure. Let’s do this.”

The nurse frowned, looking at the subdued doctor and not quite knowing what to make of it.

“You OK?” she asked.

“Don’t want to talk about it. Maybe another time,” Beka said quietly. 

The bay contained a sheepish looking Mid Marini stood in the corner holding an osteogenic stimulator, and a Support crewman with a left hand that was as purple as his uniform along with a look of pure horror. 

“Crewman Naren? I’m Doctor Sydesh,” Beka said, taking the stimulator from Marini before looking up at the junior doctor. “Has he had any painkiller?”

“10cc of xylocaine,” came the response.

“OK. Give him another 10 please,” Sydesh said. She looked around for a tricorder as Golat was already handing her one. The scans were not very clear, and there was so much swelling that it was making any further treatment next to impossible.

“Right. Before we do anything with the bones, this swelling has got to come down. Dermal regenerator please.”

It felt good for Beka to lose herself in the treatment, even if it was one she could have done in her sleep by now. Drain the swelling to reduce the pressure in the injured hand. Manipulate the broken bones into place and seal with the osteogenic stimulator, partially at first until the puzzle was complete, then a more permanent bond and another run of the dermal regenerator to finish.

When she finished, Sydesh handed over to Golat to debrief the patient as she headed away, a few encouraging words to the Midshipman about practice and some guidance on field depth for the various instruments.

I needed that. Get my head out of my own arse she thought as grabbed a blank PADD and headed over to Medlab 3. Keep the self-pity for later. I’ve got a job to do and I need to do it.

Crossing her arms around the data slate, Beka leant against the wall opposite the lab door and waited with a carefully blank expression.

#120 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.17 @ 00:30 (12:30 AM)

"The Cap said to meet down in the shuttle bay. I assume y'all will be taking a shuttle over, though not certain what the logistically reasoning for that was," Doctor Tyrol said with a shrug. "If you're truly curious, you can ask when you get down there -- it likely would be useful information as it will affect our ability to evac any injuries in a worst case scenario."

Yeah, I need to do that. Gotta remember I'm not just a middie anymore. I need to think ahead, gather information, and plan. 

If there was some reason the Away Team was taking a shuttle over then Robin needed to know why so she could pass on information to Sickbay. Usually there was a briefing for these missions, even if it just consisted of a "here's what's going on" by the officer in charge, so most likely she would get the information then... but if not, she knew she needed to ASK. Not wait passively to be told what to do. 

The CMO continued. "I would recommend grabbing a phaser on the way -- I know some of the medical staff finds it uncomfortable to be armed but in my experience, it is better to be capable of defending oneself instead of hoping security can do it for you." 

A couple months ago the new Head Nurse would have been reluctant. She had viewed phasers as a necessary evil and had carried one when told to do so. That was before two Kazon tore down the force fields in their Sickbay isolation cell and assaulted the officers there. Thankfully Claymore and Braggins had put a stop to it quickly, but it still disturbed Robin to think how vulnerable she was. If she'd been by herself, or if the Kazon had been a bit luckier (or smarter), she would have been completely at their mercy. At the time she'd wished she'd kept the phaser she had carried on the Talaxian colony. She gave the raven-haired CMO a nod of agreement. 

Not that I have time now, but I really need to ask Security if they offer active phaser drills. Maybe something on the holodeck where I can practice in mock combat, something to help break that hesitation I feel. Maybe I'll ask Eli when I get back. 

"Now, good luck. I know you can handle yourself," Tyrol said, giving the young nurse a pat on the shoulder, something she appreciated. 

"Thanks, Doctor. I'd better get going. I'll report when I get back," she said with a smile. Her mood had definitely improved, the lethargy of the day vanished and her self-pity gone. She headed out of the Medical Complex, stopping only long enough to replicate a ham and cheese sandwich to eat on the way to the shuttlebay. 

I'll ask about the phaser when I get there. 

>> Shuttlebay >>

#121 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22105.19 @ 23:51 (11:51 PM)

As Mayfair ran off on what amounted to a field trip, Jasmine was left walking away with a shake of her head. She had a doctor that looked frazzled beyond belief, a head nurse that had looked like her puppy had been kicked, Nurse Broward had looked absolutely terrified when she'd come around the corner to see Jas standing at Mayfair's desk and two other nurses looked like they literally had wanted to melt into the carpet. She clearly needed to call a staff meeting and get to the bottom of what was going on before she had an even bigger issue on her hands.

She was mentally working through how she'd fit that particular meeting into her schedule when she turned the corner into the lab section of the medical bay. There was a tiny hitch in her step as she registered Sydesh's presence, leaning against the wall with her arms crossed almost as if she was trying to mimic a bad boy from some terrible teen movie. The look was completed by the absolutely blank expression on the young doctor's face. In Jas' experience, with the exception of Vulcans, trained security professionals, a handful of the Grays and genuine cases of extreme PTSD, blank expression were not natural and generally announced the presence of some internal storm... because the department didn't already have enough emotional issues that she was discovering.

Never thought I'd miss the Greens for their emotions... two settings: angry and drunk. Easily dealt with,  either way.

"Boy, I can just feel the enthusiasm rolling off of you, " Jasmime said dryly as she walked to the door and typed in the unlock code.

The unfortunate truth that Sydesh would have to accept was that research was part of the career progression of a doctor.  It was expected from anyone that wanted to be more than just a line doctor,  which included Sydesh and her apparent goals. Did Jasmine particularly like the emphasis on research that permeated the Fleet?  No, especially when it was being emphasized so strongly to the cadets and doctor candidates but she was wise enough to understand that it was how one contributed to the community as a whole and for those with grander aspirations, it put their name on the map. However,  Jasmine wondered if, in Sydesh's case, there wouldn't be an eventual clash between her aspirations,  which would require her to buckle down on doctorly activities,  and an observed need to be in the action,  which was more befitting of a security paramedic than a full doctor.

Maybe I should have self-demoted to paramedic.... she thought as the door clicked and then,  slid open.

The room was a tale of two different methods. On the one side, there was a meticulously clean and organized space, despite having numerous gear bags present. The other side was messy and seemingly unorganized despite not having nearly as many items.

Jasmine waved towards the chaos. "That's R's. He's doing something with a genetic abnormality in Bolian hearts. He enjoys the surgical side whereas I specialize in field medicine, particularly improvised," the raven haired doctor explained as she walked further into her side of the room to examine the blinking console that seemed to announce test results for something.

She let out a slight hum, clearly of satisfaction, before turning to look at Beka. "Look, I'm not going to keep you here longer than you want but it's my job to make sure you're at least exposed to this side of the job. Whether you choose to pursue it or even consider it, is entirely up to you. No one is going to sit here and hold your feet to the fire," the doctor said rather frankly, a tiny shrug emphasizing the statement.

#122 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.20 @ 14:25 (02:25 PM)

"Boy, I can just feel the enthusiasm rolling off of you."

The dry quip from the CMO jerked Beka out of her reverie. The redhead was actually glad of the interruption, as it dragged her out of the increasingly downward thought spiral she’d ended up in. She shook her head to try and clear it and then followed the senior doctor into the lab. 

She took in the split between order and chaos in the room, and she nodded at the explanation from Tyrol. 

"Look, I'm not going to keep you here longer than you want but it's my job to make sure you're at least exposed to this side of the job. Whether you choose to pursue it or even consider it, is entirely up to you. No one is going to sit here and hold your feet to the fire." Piercing blue eyes fixed onto Sydesh’s as the other woman gave a shrug to emphasise her words.

Beka hung her head, knowing that she deserved the volley that had come her way. 

“Sorry,” she replied. “I just had something dropped on me that I really wasn’t expecting and still don’t entirely know how to process, and then yeah, I’m disappointed to be here instead of being part of the away team. Not trying to excuse myself, just… That’s a lot to take in. I’ll be fine, and better for having something to bury my head in. I swear I’m not this much of a mess normally.”

She drew in a deep breath and exhaled slowly to give herself time to rally. 

“As for lab work… No, it’s not a strong point,” Sydesh admitted. “But I need to have some faith in the chain of command. You know where I want to be, you know where I’ve been, and this is where you think I should be right now, so let’s do it. And I know my face is calling me a liar but I do appreciate the chance to work with you for a while.”

Beka silently hoped that once they actually got started, she’d be able to bottle up the crazy conflicting emotions that Robin’s revelations had unleashed. One of the redhead’s main saving graces was the easy and assured confidence she had when she was working. It carried her through even the more hopeless cases. And right now, she really needed it to reassert itself, as she wasn’t going to get a much better opportunity than this to show Tyrol that maybe she was worth the trouble.

“So. Where do you want me?” she asked, opening a new page on the PADD.

#123 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22105.28 @ 00:38 (12:38 AM)

“Sorry,” she replied. “I just had something dropped on me that I really wasn’t expecting and still don’t entirely know how to process, and then yeah, I’m disappointed to be here instead of being part of the away team. Not trying to excuse myself, just… That’s a lot to take in. I’ll be fine, and better for having something to bury my head in. I swear I’m not this much of a mess normally.”

Jasmine offered a half shrug that seemed to suggest acceptance of the explanation. It was likely Jasmine should have pointed out that it wasn't realistic for a 1.5 mission ensign to be disappointed about not being selected for a small away team, something that was usually afforded to higher ranking officers, but frankly, Jasmine thought that might venture into an emotional territory that she just didn't have the energy to deal with. No one had told her that being a CMO was one part administrative and one part counseling with no real part medical because there wasn't a ton of time to do medical stuff when there was a constant crisis to deal with, either administratively or within the personnel. 

“As for lab work… No, it’s not a strong point,” Sydesh admitted. “But I need to have some faith in the chain of command. You know where I want to be, you know where I’ve been, and this is where you think I should be right now, so let’s do it. And I know my face is calling me a liar but I do appreciate the chance to work with you for a while.”

Jasmine almost opened her mouth to point out that she hadn't been the one to make the away team decision, though she didn't disagree with who was requested, and that she didn't necessarily think the lab was where Sydesh needed to be right that moment. She wanted Sydesh to be open to the parts of the job that weren't all adrenaline and excitement because those were the parts that would develop her in the manner that would get Sydesh to the promotions she clearly wanted and frankly, they were the developments that would allow Sydesh not to absolutely hate those promotions when they came. Because there was not much adrenaline and excitement to be had in the CMO chair.

“So. Where do you want me?” Sydesh asked, causing Jas to arch her eyebrow slightly before shrugging.

"I mean I wasn't actually planning on doing any right this moment but if you want a taste, by all means," the doctor said with a wave of her arm towards her consoles.

"I've got two primary projects right this moment, both in the improvised medicine category. One of them involves attempting to identify a good source of antibiotics in the field -- basically, are there types of flora that can be utilized for long term ground operations when supplies run out?  That was a massive issue we encountered during the ground war for both the Krynar and the Romulans before them. If I can identify flora that have the right properties in areas that we are... well, in areas that very well could become our next combat zone, I can make sure that medics assigned to the ground units have the information and can keep their troops alive."

"However, the one more likely to interest you and fall within your skill set is my second research project. For as advanced as our medical abilities have gotten, we have not done a good job of finding a field improvisation for a junctional tourniquet once the actual junctional tourniquets run out.  It needs to be something that most ground troops carry so within the typical security load-out and it needs to be something that even the dumbest dragoon can figure out with limited motor skills and a body full of shaky adrenaline," Jasmine explained as she walked towards a pile of what was clearly a mix of marine deployment gear and security gear.

"We use to use this guy for an improvised junctional," she said, holding up a wide cylinder canteen. "It worked beautifully as it's the right shape to get wedged into the inguinal or axilla region and ratcheted down. Oh, it hurt like a m-fer... had more than one kid try to fight me while using it but they didn't bleed out into their pelvis so they lived to be angry at me and that's the point. However, they stopped issuing these shortly after the Rommies. You'll still find a few older timers with them but most of the young kids have the new collapsible ones now."

"I've tested a few things without much luck but there's a few more that need to be put through the ringer," the raven haired doctor leaned down to shift through the pile, finally standing back up with the medium sized power cell that belonged to the standard Type 3G rifle issued to most security officers. "It's the right shape and weight, though it has its own inherent issues..."

She offered the power cell to Beka as she moved to stand in front of the large piece of glass that made up the back of the laboratory. The glass allowed them to look into what was obviously a small holosuite designed to be utilized for research. "Why don't you give it a try?"

The raven haired doctor flicked at the console under the glass. "In thirty seconds, a fully geared up patient will appear with a junctional wound. His gear will be present as well for use. The audio is consistent with warfare just to give it some authenticity or as much as a sterile lab holosuite can give us. I don't know if you've ever had to improvise a junctional or have even used a junctional but I would suggest utilizing a belt, rifle sling or even a standard tourniquet if they have one to apply the pressure. If the power cell doesn't work and you see something better, go for it."

#124 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.30 @ 19:59 (07:59 PM)

Inside, Beka winced as she watched Jasmine’s reaction. 

Why is everybody here so closed off? she asked herself silently. The higher up the crew you go, the more they look at you like you’ve got a second head if you even acknowledge emotions are a thing. Tyrol doesn’t want to know. Jenny can only deal in short bursts. The Captain… Yeah, less said there the better. About the only one who doesn’t go in for the constant silent judgment, at least that I’ve seen, is Coleman, and I’ve well and truly burned that bridge because I gave him plenty to judge out loud…

"I mean I wasn't actually planning on doing any right this moment but if you want a taste, by all means," the CMO said.

That one confused the redhead. Why would the senior doctor have given her the lecture about wanting to make sure Sydesh was exposed to this side of the job, if that wasn’t the intention? 

Beka brushed it off. Already she was looking forward to being able to blow off steam once her shift was over. There was a lot she needed to vent and there were some unfortunate holograms that were destined to be on the wrong end of the taekwon-do black belt’s ferocious kicks. 

"I've got two primary projects right this moment, both in the improvised medicine category,” Tyrol started.

Sydesh took the information in, green eyes watching everything. The Commander was right in that improvisation was very much in the redhead’s wheelhouse. She’d had a 6-year career in medicine before even getting to the Academy and the vast majority of that had been about making the best of what she had available, whether it was being taught how to mix antidotes on Eisnor to heat-sterilising combat knives in order to operate on board the Riftrunner. She still wasn’t entirely used to having everything she needed to hand and readily available like it was on Artemis.

"In thirty seconds, a fully geared up patient will appear with a junctional wound,” Jasmine said. “His gear will be present as well for use. The audio is consistent with warfare just to give it some authenticity or as much as a sterile lab holosuite can give us. I don't know if you've ever had to improvise a junctional or have even used a junctional but I would suggest utilizing a belt, rifle sling or even a standard tourniquet if they have one to apply the pressure. If the power cell doesn't work and you see something better, go for it."

“OK. Can I just show you what I’ve used before?” Beka replied. “Because yeah, I have had to deal with junctional injuries. When I was adrift on freighters I had to make a lot of my own equipment and this is what I ended up with for bleeds I couldn’t get to in-situ.”

She went to the replicator and came back with a roll of duct tape, along with a handful of solid metal fixings about the length and thickness of her finger. She clutched three of the bolts together in a triangle and then taped them together. 

“I started with 3 like this,” Sydesh explained. “Then depending on the size of the patient and the wound, you can add more.” The redhead demonstrated, fitting 3 more bolts into the gaps between the existing 3 and wrapping those in tape too. Another 6 around those gave a solid lump of metal. “I did toy around with using some kind of magnetics to get them to stick together but I didn’t have the raw materials or the equipment. Always ended up coming back to tape, mostly because my kit was part medical and part engineering. And also because this stuff sticks anything.”

In front of Jasmine and Beka, the holosuite had loaded its program. The Ensign rolled up her sleeves to her elbows, scooped up the tape and a handful of the bolts, and stepped inside. She didn’t even flinch as she skidded to a halt next to the prone officer, blocking out the soundtrack and even the fizzling zaps of phaser fire flashing overhead. She was so calm it was eerie. 

A visual diagnosis confirmed a deep laceration to the axillary artery under the human male’s right arm. He was flitting in and out of consciousness as Sydesh grabbed his arm and lifted it, hanging it over her shoulder as she pressed down on the wound with her knee and every bit of strength she could muster.

That brought the man to full consciousness and he screamed, trying to buck the doctor off him and catching her in the face with a flailing hand. 

“Knock it off! Stay still!” Beka barked. “This is going to hurt but I have to stop you bleeding out!”

“You *****...” he managed, his voice hoarse.

Doctor *****,” she replied evenly. She quickly wrapped 3 bolts, then another 3 around them, and grabbed the man’s knife to cut the tape. She lifted her knee, judged the size of the wound to be about right for the impromptu plug in her hand, and pressed it right into the armpit.

“Not gonna lie to you, this is going to hurt,” Beka added, before her knee came down again and drew another scream. “OK, you’re doing great! Just hold on a little longer, and we’ll have you out of here!”

Head darting from side to side, Sydesh decided that the man’s belt was the best strap available. She leant back, dexterously unpicked the buckle and then pulled until the belt came away. Carefully she threaded it between her knee and the injury and then heaved, muscles straining as she set it as tight as she could, putting as much pressure on the wound as possible. 

“Right. Here we go!” she said, and rose to her feet. 

Around her, the simulation came to an end, leaving her materials and the taped up bundle on the floor as there was no longer a patient around them. Picking everything up, Beka headed back into the lab. 

“So how did that go?” she asked Jasmine, trying to catch a glimpse of the readout on the terminal.

#125 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22105.31 @ 13:55 (01:55 PM)

The beauty of improvisation in medicine was that it entirely looked in the face of traditional medical practices and instead required a creativity and resourcefulness that was often neglected and underdeveloped in most traditional medical settings. Now, to be truly gifted at improvisation, one had to have a very solid medical base to understand what goal needed to be met but after that, it was entirely up to each person to create their solution. For the most part, no two people would come up with the same solution to the same problem unless given a very restrictive set of resources to utilize.

For instance, Jasmine would never have considered binding bolts together to create the pressure point for a junctional tourniquet but she also had never worked consistently in an environment where bolts would be a common resource to utilize. Beka had spent her early exposure years within an environment where that very much was one of the objects within her range while dealing with these types of situations, whereas Jasmine had canteens, helmets, magazine, rifle slings, and flashflights to use as pressure points, fulcrums and windlasses. They were two very different types of experience but no less vital to the over all goal.

Jasmine had watched with interest as Beka worked, breaking slightly to chuckle when Beka took a shot to the face. The chuckle wasn't put of amusement out at Beka's predicament but out of a memory of taking a fist to the face the first time she'd tried to wrench down a drag strip over a guy's groin to stop his bleeding. It had worked but she'd had a good shiner for about a week, which the private had profusely apologized for every time she had checked on him. And that was about the last time she'd done a junctional on a lower extremity and not found a way to pin the arms down in the process.

“So how did that go?”

"Clearly, you have more experience with finding a solution than most of the greenies come out of the Academy these days," the doctor offered with a smile before looking down at the readouts.

"Ultimately, as long as he was transported within a reasonable time, he would have survived. The overall pressure of the packing was enough to slow the bleed but not fully occlude the bleed," Jasmine said, frowning slightly at the readout before turning to Beka and extending a hand out for one of the bundles of bolts.

She rolled the bundle around in her hand for a moment, examining the length of the bundle before examining the width. "Armpit junctionals are some of the hardest to fully occlude without using a truly circular shaped object. I think..." she rolled the bundle in her hand again. "Utilizing slightly shorter bolts might accomplish that goal a little easier as they would be less likely to be dislodged in transport and a little easier to wrench down but ultimately, good job. No one gets to choose the size of the bolts laying around and  I suspect these would work exceptionally well on an inguinal bleed," she mused, offering the bundle of bolts back.

"Now, the challenge of that is I don't foresee many soldiers running around with bolts in their pockets," she added wryly before adding," well, unless they're defending an engineering installation. That's just an example of how each of our experiences shape and mold the solutions we come up with -- I never would have thought to utilize bolts but that's also because unless something went terribly wrong, I don't think I was ever within a couple meters of a large amount of bolts. That's also why things like these are important. While I'm gearing my resource to the people that I know and relate to, it is no less important for officers working within other elements to know how to utilize the resources at their fingertips to save their people's lives."

"Now, since we've established that you have experience in improvising but in a different way from mine, why don't you look over the deployment gear in the duffel bags and see if you can concoct something for either an auxiliary or inguinal bleed that would work? Maybe you'll come up with something that's been missed..." Jasmine suggested motioning towards the second set of duffel bags.

There seemed to be a notable difference between the two set of duffel bags. The set that Jasmine had motioned Beka towards was filled with the currently issued equipment for security. There was body armor, power cells, helmets, inert grenades, boots, wrist lights, inert gas canisters, gear belt, restraints, duct tape, among other items. There was also an inactive PR-1 and pistol in cases that seemed available for use. None of the items looked like they'd ever been used in actual combat, which was a contrast to the other set. The other set was clearly marine issued and had been through enough conflicts to show the wear and tear of war, including stains. It appeared that Jasmine had been utilizing them to compare the difference in the old set up, which there were improvised standards for, and the new set up which had changed the designs of even the smallest items. 

==Tag! ==

#126 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.03 @ 22:40 (10:40 PM)

"Clearly, you have more experience with finding a solution than most of the greenies come out of the Academy these days," Jasmine offered with a smile. 

The comment drew a grin from Beka. On her first day aboard she had made some flippant remark about not being as green as other Midshipmen, something she had regretted at the time but still tried to live up to.

Handing over the bundle of bolts and tape, the redhead took in every word of feedback from the CMO. There was no injured pride at her solution being flawed. It was always going to be - she had rigged it up in the absence of any kind of specialised equipment or training. But there were the faintest embers of pride that she’d been of use, and when Tyrol pointed to the piles of equipment, Sydesh’s curiosity was definitely piqued. 

"Now, since we've established that you have experience in improvising but in a different way from mine, why don't you look over the deployment gear in the duffel bags and see if you can concoct something for either an auxiliary or inguinal bleed that would work? Maybe you'll come up with something that's been missed..."

Green eyes went from one set of equipment to the other. 

“I’m not gonna lie, I feel like messing around with your old gear is asking for trouble,” Beka said with a smile. “But I’m qualified to service a lot of the newer stuff, so that’s probably a better starting place for me anyway.” 

The Ensign’s Academy time had been 4 years rather than the traditional 3, as she worked on a field engineering qualification to shore up the technical knowledge she’d picked up on freighters. It did mean that there was a certainty to her work as she picked up a modern helmet and started to take it apart with deft use of a sonic driver. 

“My first thought was the comms module,” the redhead explained as she removed the module from the side of the helmet. It was a cylinder maybe two inches in diameter, about the same in height and topped with a half-sphere shape. “I think it’s about right size and shape-wise, and they build them tough. Even detached, we could probably bounce it around the room, plug it back in and it’d work, which means it should be able to take the pressure of a tight strap.” 

She laid the module down on the bench. 

“There is a trick to getting them out,” Beka added. “My instructor used to be able to do it with like a half-twist and a slap from the other side but I never quite got the hang of that.”

Her fingers drummed on the surface for a second as the wheels turned in her head. 

“I guess that is something to bear in mind. There won’t be time or equipment for full tear-downs so whatever parts we want need to be readily accessible. Or at least easy to break in the right places…” 

Sydesh half-turned and picked up a scope. It was too long and wide to be of any real use ordinarily, but she twisted it hard and then unscrewed the optical unit from one end. The threaded collar that held the optical unit in place was now revealed, a stout ring of metal that she freed by pinning the collar to the bench with one hand and then hammering the housing with the heel of the other hand.

“I feel like this is the kind of shape we might be looking for,” Beka said, laying down the rest of the scope and picking up the collar. It was solid enough to resist any attempts to deform it, having already proved tougher than the rest of the scope. “A bit of digging should turn up a few more parts along similar lines. Or I can take a look at the schematics if the armoury would rather we didn’t bust up too much.” 

There was a faint smile on her lips as she laid the sturdy piece of metal next to the comms module for Jasmine to examine. 

OK, this isn’t what I thought lab work would be, she admitted to herself. There's a project for everyone apparently, even redheaded chaos machines. And I’m all for that. It's no away team but it could be a whole lot worse...

#127 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22106.10 @ 22:02 (10:02 PM)

“I guess that is something to bear in mind. There won’t be time or equipment for full tear-downs so whatever parts we want need to be readily accessible. Or at least easy to break in the right places…”

Jasmine had grinned slightly. It was the first thought that had occurred to her when Sydesh had begun taking the item apart but she had felt it was better to see where the idea organically went before pointing out that particular issue with a more complex solution.

"That's the biggest challenge. In a situation where you have run out of everything, you don't have the time to tear things down and very likely, you won't have the finer motor skills to do so either. Remember what adrenaline does to the body -- a soldier will likely tunnel vision in a crisis and asking them to do tiny, precise movements is just asking for trouble," Jasmine advised with the enthusiasm of someone that did genuinely enjoy teaching.

Having watched the young doctor work on the scope with some curiosity, Jasmine was pleased to see her pull out a piece that likely would work. “A bit of digging should turn up a few more parts along similar lines. Or I can take a look at the schematics if the armoury would rather we didn’t bust up too much.”

Jasmine picked the piece up and rolled it around in her hand. "It's the right shape," she mused before setting it down. She placed her hands on the counter and leaned forward as she clearly considered the process of reaching the part, along with the implications. "My only concern would be whether you could convince a combat force to destroy the optic on a working weapon in a combat zone. A weapon that they might need if extraction isn't imminent or likely."

The former marine chuckled slightly. "You and I would likely view that as a worthy sacrifice but soldiers... they're a different, unpredictable breed but that's why I like to focus my research towards helping them. Maybe I can't be on the front lines anymore but I can make sure they have a better chance of getting off the X."

"And I want them better prepared than I was the first time I ended up there and didn't know what the Hell to do when my supplies ran out but the injuries didn't," her tone was serious as her blue eyes shifted over to her own gear bag, remembering the very first time she had been forced to improvise something without any training or advice. He'd survived, somehow, but she didn't think that had anything to do with her own attempts.

She reached out and picked up the ring, offering it to Beka. "Give it a try. If it works well and it's suggested among other more palatable options, it's up to the grunts to decide how much they really like their battle buddy compared to their rifle..."

== Tag! ==

#128 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

• First Officers
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.13 @ 16:21 (04:21 PM)

[Coleman to Sickbay. I have a crewman presenting with a rash, elevated heartrate and blood pressure, and maybe a bit of asthenia. Requesting an examination of Crewman Maxwell to be sure. I don’t think he is ambulatory, so a visit by someone who is free, or site-to-site transport might be the best option. Coleman standing by.]

#129 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.13 @ 18:10 (06:10 PM)

Beka nodded, spinning the ring over a finger as she took in Jasmine’s answer. 

“I take your point, but the way I see it, the scope is expendable,” the redhead said levelly. “You can still fire a rifle without a scope. It helps, yeah, but it’s not vital. Probably why I don’t think we should start messing around with charge packs or anything similar.”

It was interesting hearing Tyrol’s experiences with Marines and getting them to relinquish supplies. There were a lot of parallels to Sydesh’s experiences on the Riftrunner. One time, she’d been punched full in the face for breaking down someone’s tools to save a life, and on another thrown around the rudimentary infirmary by two meatheads after stealing a bottle of moonshine to clean wounds with. In her mind it was worth the pain - her job was to keep people alive, pretty much whatever it cost. But she understood that not everybody felt the same way, and that was a lesson she had very much learned the hard way. 

After a second, Beka laid down the ring. 

“Let’s make this a more authentic test,” she said. “Can I get this thing free in time under combat conditions. Try and prove my theory that it’s an accessible part.” 

Fingers danced across the console as she set up the simulation in the small holodeck, making sure to have a scope available. With a firm press of the ‘engage’ key she darted inside as the program kicked in. 

It was a different combat zone this time, a night fight. Every flash of energy fire lit up the room either Federation gold or Romulan green. Sydesh darted between ruined buildings to get to the casualty, a human female with a severe bleed to the groin, a crimson-stained blade lying next to her. 

“Hey. I’m Doctor Sydesh, I’m gonna get you fixed up,” Beka said, having to speak up over the sound of combat. She checked out the injury and then gently stretched the patient’s leg away so she could apply the pressure with her knee, exactly as she had the previous time. The wounded soldier moaned but didn’t have the strength to fight back, and despite herself the redheaded medic found an extra degree of urgency. 

She snatched up the fallen rifle and released the scope manually. A hard twist removed the outer cover, and then Beka looked round for something to free the ring-shaped collar she needed.

Damn it. Problem number 1 with this plan…

After a second she grabbed the blood-stained knife off the ground and used it to attack the optical unit, cutting away a ring of the plastic and then prying the collar free. Beka also took the strap off the rifle and had it ready.

She took a deep breath, and then lifted her knee. Without standing on ceremony she jammed the solid piece of metal right into the gap between the patient’s leg and her body and pushed hard, ignoring the grisly noises from the surrounding tissue. The casualty’s moans took on a much more urgent tone and she flailed weakly at the doctor. 

Beka wrapped the weapon strap around the wound and then heaved it with everything she had. Making sure it was tight, she checked the blood flow and was relieved to see nothing was leaking out of the impromptu tourniquet. 

“OK. End program,” she said, and then headed back into the lab. 

“How was that one?” the redhead asked Jasmine. “The collar was certainly easier to manipulate than the bolts, and it takes a tourniquet much better.”

== Tags! I’ve left the comm messages out so you can fit them in as appropriate.  :) ==

#130 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22106.17 @ 01:14 (01:14 AM)

== Post made with GM-12's permission and blessing ==

“How was that one?” The redheaded doctor asked.  “The collar was certainly easier to manipulate than the bolts, and it takes a tourniquet much better.”

Jasmine was leaning over the console, hands braced on each side as she looked over the data. "You were able to apply significantly greater downward pressure with the collar. It also gets points for being more readily available in a combat situation."

Her fingers drummed on the console briefly. "I do worry that someone who has been in combat conditions for hours might struggle to have either the motor skills or the presence of mind to get the collar free but frankly, we aren't looking for a one size fits all solution. We are looking for numerous options that can be taught and then, hopefully utilized as/when needed."

Now, she offered Sydesh a warm smile as she stood up. "Congratulations. I'll be adding that idea to the list of concepts we'll test during the Crucible -- if it does well, you'll be able to add muse and researcher to your resume.  If not... well, I've seen far more experienced doctors have their ideas eaten alive during live testing," she said with a wry grin.

Jasmine looked like she was going to say something further when the room's intercom opened up with a voice she recognized as Lieutenant Coleman. While she wouldn't say that she was friends with Coleman, having not interacted with him enough to make such a claim, they had spoken on numerous occasions, one of which had involved the attitude of the doctor standing in the room with her. She had found Coleman to be very concise and logical in his detailing of what he viewed the issue was, which seemed to be how he handled most things. 

[Coleman to Sickbay. I have a crewman presenting with a rash, elevated heartrate and blood pressure, and maybe a bit of asthenia. Requesting an examination of Crewman Maxwell to be sure. I don’t think he is ambulatory, so a visit by someone who is free, or site-to-site transport might be the best option. Coleman standing by.]

The raven haired doctor frowned slightly as she tapped on her console in an attempt to pull up Crewman Maxwell's record. Truthfully, she was looking for two things in the record: his race and his allergy history. The record ended up being very bare bones as Crewman Maxwell had had very little contact with any medical facility since his graduation from basic. He had no known allergies and aside from a sprained ankle approximately 10 months earlier, he had no abnormal medical history at all. However, those symptoms on the surface sounded like an allergic reactions... but to what?

"Sydesh, take that call. Transport him if he begins showing signs of respiratory issues or if an in the field diagnostic proves unsuccessful but on the surface, those symptoms sound like an allergic reaction to something...and that something is very likely somewhere in that office and needs to be identified. Which also means make sure you bring plenty of Epi," she said, as she motioned for Sydesh to take a look at the thin record of one Hunter Maxwell that she had pulled up. 

"Tyrol to Coleman. Doctor Sydesh is on her way to you now. Please advise if the crewman becomes worse or unstable prior to her arrival."

#131 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.18 @ 22:55 (10:55 PM)

The younger doctor was practically hip-to-hip with the CMO as the two of them looked over the data. She hadn’t been able to help herself, her competitive streak making itself felt during a research session. It wasn’t Jasmine she was going up against - even Beka wasn’t that competitive - but the problem put in front of her. 

I have got to get a hold of that. But hey, there are worse habits to have, the redhead reflected as she listened to the summary.

When Tyrol smiled warmly and offered words of praise and encouragement, Sydesh gave a nod of thanks, a genuine smile of her own lighting up her face. The Ensign’s confidence had taken a few knocks, but she felt so much better for having managed to take the opportunity to impress the Commander. The lift was such that she didn’t even flinch when she heard Coleman’s voice come over the comm. 

Interesting. Sounds like an allergy to me, and how the hell do you get an allergy on board a starship with ridiculously advanced air filtration systems? Beka mused to herself. Must be something more to it than that.

"Sydesh, take that call,” Jasmine said. “Transport him if he begins showing signs of respiratory issues or if an in the field diagnostic proves unsuccessful but on the surface, those symptoms sound like an allergic reaction to something...and that something is very likely somewhere in that office and needs to be identified. Which also means make sure you bring plenty of Epi.”

Beka had surprised herself by actually enjoying the impromptu research session, but she was still glad to get the nod to go and investigate this new problem. She felt the familiar thrill of adrenaline as she looked over the bare basics file, and then nodded.

“I’m on it,” she said. “And, ma’am? Thanks.”

With that, Sydesh took her leave and headed off to gear up. She picked up a medkit, supplemented it with a couple of handfuls of epinephrine, anti-histamines and similar treatments, and then swung the bag easily across her broad shoulders. 

OK. Let’s go do this.

There was a familiar grin on the redhead’s face as she hurried to the turbolift. 

>> Security Office >> 

#132 GM-12

GM-12

• Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 370 posts
  • Formerly Most Angelic
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22106.28 @ 23:06 (11:06 PM)

<< Security <<

== Isolation Bay ==

With a soft whine, the transporter deposited Ensign Sydesh, Ensign Okehampton and Crewman Maxwell in one of Sickbay's isolation labs. It was a very good sign that the transporter's biofilters had not immediately kicked in the override and shut down the transport attempt. It was an even better sign when the isolation lab's own filters, which were calibrated with different parameters than the transporters biofilters, did not immediately begin whirling in alarm.

Crewman Maxwell had been transported onto the isolation lab's medical bed, sitting up right as that was how he had been positioned when he had been beamed in. While Maxwell initially looked the same as he had in the security office, it took less than a minute to realize he was losing some of the pigment in his face, leaving him looking rather ashen and shaken. His eyes were a constant movement, taking in the rather impressive but intimidating equipment that came with the isolation suite, and his fists had formed a ball in his lap as he inspected his new surroundings. It was very likely that Maxwell, being in security, had never been within one of the isolation suites and likely did not know what all of the equipment was used for. The array of equipment in the isolation lab with its detailed scanners and equipment to deal with a wide range of issues that could occur within the suite or require isolation was impressive even to those who were familiar with the medical world.

A check of his vital signs would show that both his heart rate and his blood pressure were up, higher than normal levels and higher than they'd been in the security office. His breathing had also picked up by a breath or two a minute, though still holding within a healthy range. 

#133 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.30 @ 22:35 (10:35 PM)

>> Security Complex >>

As the blue haze of the transporter faded away, Beka let out the breath she didn’t realise she’d been holding. 

“OK, we’re here. That’s a good sign. Any major problem, the transporter biofilters would have cut in,” the redhead said, asserting herself quickly and trying to reassure the two Security officers.

Nat looked around at all the equipment, and the sense of feeling utterly lost practically radiated from her.

“I guess that’s good?” the brunette offered. 

Sensing her friend’s discomfort, Sydesh moved to her side. 

“Let’s get started,” Beka said. “That console over there can be reset to a regular one,” she added, pointing. “Can you get going with tracing Maxwell’s movements please? Where’s he been in the last two hours? Did he do anything in particular? Was he up close and personal with anyone? It’s not unheard of for different species to provoke reactions in each other. Maybe that’s something we missed.”

Nat nodded. 

“OK,” she said calmly. “That I can do. Don’t worry about me.” 

“I wasn’t worried. I know how good you are,” Beka replied, patting Okehampton’s shoulder before she headed back to her patient and main concern. 

“So Hunter,” the doctor said. “I know all this equipment is scary as hell if you’re not used to it, but I need you to trust me. I’m going to get to the bottom of what’s wrong with you and as soon as I can, I’ll get you back out there.” 

She paused a second, and then pressed on. 

“Can you lie down on your front for me please?” she asked. “I need to get a full work-up of that rash and what’s causing it.” 

After a moment, the crewman did as he was asked, and then Beka went to work. She pulled down the deep tissue scanner and set it to work analysing the discolouration on the back of his neck. Another console was set to monitor the air surrounding Maxwell, in case he was unwittingly spreading anything. And finally she had the biobed show her his vitals and keep an eye on them. 

Heart rate and blood pressure both up, he’s breathing slightly faster than usual, but it’s all still within normal limits. I still don’t know if that’s due to whatever that is on his neck, or if he’s just nervous because he’s now in an isolation lab on the business end of our more powerful scanners… Maybe this gear will tell me.

Behind Beka, Nat was well into her tracking, pulling up Maxwell’s movements and following him around the ship. 

== OK GM! Shopping list time please. 

What’s the make-up of the areas of discolouration? Is it a build-up of a particular substance under the skin, or something spreading over it, and can Beka determine what it is?

Is there any sign of particles of anything ‘detaching’ from the rash and potentially spreading its effects, or is it sticking solely to Maxwell? 

What can Okehampton see of his movements? Where’s he been the last couple of hours, and was he close to anyone in particular?

And apologies for the minor hijack in having him lie down, I didn’t want to waste your time to break for an input request just on that.  :)  ==

#134 GM-12

GM-12

• Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 370 posts
  • Formerly Most Angelic
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22107.03 @ 21:22 (09:22 PM)

Sydesh's scan showed that the discoloration on Maxwell's skin was a form of dermatitis, the cause of which was currently unknown. There was no build up of fluid under the dermis nor had the affected area begun to blister or show other signs of build-up, whether foreign or as part of the body's immune defenses. However, the scans did show that the dermatitis was slowly spreading down Maxwell's neck, seeming to be following the spine in a downward direction and along the trapezius towards Maxwell's left shoulder. There also appeared to be a small patch of dermatitis forming on his left forearm. 

However, the scans showed that the dermatitis wasn't shedding infectious skin cells. There were skin cells being shed, likely from Maxwell's previous scratching of his neck, but none of it appeared to be contagious or infectious. 

Maxwell's movements over the last few hours had been very routine. He had left his bunkroom approximately 3 hours earlier, traveling directly to the ship's main fitness facility. He had remained in the gym for approximately 1.2 hours, during which he had made frequent trips to the gym's water cooler in between sets at the power rack. While the gym was not at full capacity, it hadn't been empty during his work out. Maxwell had, then, traveled to the enlisted mess, where it was assumed he had breakfast. He had eaten breakfast with one of his bunkmates, a Bajoran named Crewman Havri Letio, before they had gone their separate ways. Maxwell had, then, traveled to the security office's locker room, where he had showered and changed before reporting to his desk with a cup of coffee. 

#135 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.07 @ 22:55 (10:55 PM)

There was a loaded silence that hung over the isolation lab, Sydesh trying to make sense of the scans and Okehampton following Maxwell around. It was the Security officer that spoke up first. 

“So I’m not seeing anything much on these scans,” Nat said. She half-turned her head to see that Beka was already stood behind her. “Bunkroom to gym, to the mess, to the showers and then on duty. He was only really up close with his bunkmate, Crewman Havri.”

“You say that,” the doctor replied. “We have several possible sources of contamination. The mess hall. The water cooler in the gym. And the showers.”

“Wouldn’t the biofilters have picked up anything in the water though?” Nat asked. “That’s literally what they’re for. Scanning for material that shouldn’t be there.”

“I would hope so,” Beka replied. “But if it’s something we’ve never seen before, then that gets a bit unclear. Would they know what to look for?” Absently the redhead scratched the back of her head. “Could you do me a favour please? Check out the mess hall? We can ask someone in Engineering to do a detailed scan of the water system. That part doesn’t worry me so much. But the mess hall, someone needs to go there and check.” 

Okehampton shrugged. 

“Sure, if it’ll make you feel better,” the brunette replied. “What am I looking for?”

There was a pause as Sydesh picked up a spare tricorder and used it to scan the pattern from the rash on the back of Maxwell’s neck, then passed the device to her roommate. 

“Anything that looks like that,” she said. “Check food preparation, the benches and anything that’s still around from when Maxwell was there. And maybe check with… what was his name? Havri? Is he feeling OK?”

“Alright, I’ll do the sweep of the mess hall, but I’m really not qualified to start examining people,” Nat replied. “I can find Havri and have him report to you here?”

“Sure. Close enough,” Beka answered. “Thanks Nat. I appreciate the help, I really do. If you find anything, let me know, yeah?”

“Sure will!” There was a hiss as Nat approached the doors and triggered the decontamination process, before she was allowed to leave and head out to the enlisted mess hall.

And then there were 2… the doctor thought to herself. Well. 3. Whatever the **** this is, probably deserves equal billing.

Green eyes were fixed on the readouts from the scanners as Sydesh tried to work out what she was looking at.

OK. So there’s some minor flaking but it’s not infectious tissue. That’s a relief. If I had to start trying to quarantine the Security department, Coleman would probably have shot me. And if he didn’t, the Captain would have for sure. A thin smile spread across Beka’s lips and then faded.

All the scans make it look like just some dermatitis. But it’s ******* purple! And… ****. It’s spreading.

Her fingers were a blur as she took in the pattern and started to run new scans. 

Is it following a particular system? Running down the spine and the left arm would suggest either nervous or circulatory. I need to see this stuff in action. Maybe that’ll show me something.

“Hunter?” Beka said, keeping her voice calm. “I’m going to need to take your shirt off. Hold still for me, OK?”

The Crewman murmured some comeback that the Ensign didn’t quite hear as she gently but firmly pulled his tunic off so she could see the bare skin on his back, and watch the spreading dermatitis as she reached for a surgical scrubber to clean her hands.

I need to give him something to stop this but I can’t just jump in. I have to work out what I’m targeting with medication before I try that, in case I just make this worse.

== Next post for Okehampton, Other Locations. 

GM input for Sydesh please. Do scans of the nervous and circulatory systems show any abnormalities? What does she see of the spreading ‘infection’ - is it moving fast enough to be visibly spreading? ==

#136 GM-12

GM-12

• Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 370 posts
  • Formerly Most Angelic
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22107.12 @ 00:28 (12:28 AM)

The generalized scans showed no evident signs of inflammation within the nervous system or other signs of damage within the nerve clusters. Maxwell's heart was pumping blood efficiently, if not a little quickly. However, his limbs had full profusion, indicating adequate blood flow in the circulatory system. 

It would take a more targeted testing regiment with more targeted scans and sampling to investigate the more narrow functions of either system.

As for the dermatitis, it didn't appear to be spreading visibly. In fact, due to his clothing, it was impossible to determine if it had, in fact, grown in size since Sydesh had encountered him.

#137 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.12 @ 21:41 (09:41 PM)

As she watched the results of the top-level scans roll in, Beka drummed her fingers on the side of the biobed. 

I’m pretty sure that all of this tells me we’re not dealing with a clear and present danger to the ship, she thought to herself. There’s nothing contagious here. I’ve analysed what’s coming off him and it’s not giving any cause for concern. I’m fine. Nat didn’t set any alerts off when she left. So what we have is a Maxwell problem.

Sydesh started to carry out a physical examination of the now-shirtless crewman. She noted the full function of his limbs, the fact the dermatitis wasn’t visibly spreading like the scans had led her to believe, and the paleness of his skin. 

It’s never stopped being ironic for a ginger to write ‘pale complexion’ on anyone else’s notes…

There was a faint smile playing across the redhead’s lips as she got to Hunter’s left forearm, and the bright tattoo that was there. 

Oh hello…

If someone said that Beka had a keen interest in tattoos, it would have been a huge understatement. It wasn’t that long ago that she had arrived on Earth absolutely covered in them. She had eventually decided to have all except two removed, a massive phoenix that wrapped around her left arm and shoulder, and her stepfather’s favourite saying down her right forearm. In her downtime she had designed several tattoos and was already planning what her next ones were going to be. That meant the sheer vibrancy of the ink on the crewman’s arm really stood out to her, as she knew exactly what modern tattooists were capable of.

I bet you this was on New Talax, the doctor thought. They gave me the same demos, and I said no because I wanted to check in detail what was in the ink first. Never thought I’d find that out because someone had decided on a touch-up without looking… Either way, I think I have a starting point.

Moving quickly, Sydesh took a blood sample from the crewman and loaded it into the specialist scanner for a detailed analysis. Then she picked up a tricorder and started to go over the tattoo and surrounding tissue, trying to get an idea of what was in the ink that had been used and whether it could be what was to blame. 

“Hey Hunter,” Beka said out loud. “I love the ink. You’ll have to tell me how you got it,” she added. “Was it one of the Talaxians?” 

== GM input please. Do the blood sample and tissue scan show any abnormalities? Any further input on what was in the tattoo ink to make it so vibrant? Is Hunter able to respond? ==

#138 GM-12

GM-12

• Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 370 posts
  • Formerly Most Angelic
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22107.17 @ 13:28 (01:28 PM)

Hunter glanced down at his arm, looking at the vibrant colors for a moment. There was a hesitation in answering, though that could be him trying to gather his thoughts or debating how truthful to be.

"Yes. I got the color done on the colony, towards the end. I guess it's been about a month now. The girl said the ink is made from leola root and should be safe for us. The crap sucks to eat but if they found a better purpose for it, who am I to argue?"

A scan of the tattoo would confirm that the ink was derived from leola root along with another unknown botanical source used for coloring the dye. The computer estimated the colored portions of the tattoo were approximately 5 weeks old and were in the late stages of healing.

The tissue scans came back negative for anything additional. The testing of the blood sample showed that Maxwell had increased levels of IgE in his blood, which was indicative of an allergic reaction. However, Maxwell had no known allergies on file and the scans of his digestive tract and oral cavities did not suggest he had come into contact with any of the most common Terran allergens recently.

However, the computer had noted an anomalous reading within the blood sample that it could not identify with a general blood test due to the broadness of the testing parameters and the utilization of most of the sample. It did not match any known allergens, toxins, infections, diseases or other items normally detected via a basic blood test.  What ever the source of the reading was it appeared to be in the process of degrading in the blood stream.

#139 GM-12

GM-12

• Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 370 posts
  • Formerly Most Angelic
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22107.17 @ 21:59 (09:59 PM)

== Main Sickbay ==

With the exception of Sydesh's medical mystery in Iso Lab 1, the rest of Sickbay was quiet. They had yet to be informed that there might be a pressing need for supplies or resources and as such, the staff was going about their regularly scheduled business.

As such, when the doors to Sickbay slid open and an agitated Bolian nearly stumbled through, it had the attention of both nurses standing at the main nurse's station. It was their job to greet patients as they entered and determine their initial need. And this patient looked like he needed something, even if it might just be a good old fashioned sobering up.

However, the Bolian, a young Crewman wearing engineer gold, inadvertently jumped the line when he ran headlong into Doctor Tyrol as she was passing through the front half of Sickbay, presumably on her way to her office. His hand grabbed her arm rather forcefully as if he was attempting to stay up right. His eyes looked unfocused and glazed, even as he looked at the doctor.

"Doctor," he managed to croak out, his tongue coming out to lick his lips as if they were dry. He wheezed as he breathed in, seeming to have to pull hard to get his lungs filled.

A preliminary scan of the young man would identify him as Crewman Ladis. It would register his heart rate as high for a Bolian with his O2 levels on the very low end of normal.

== You seemed bored, Doc. Have a patient... everyone have a patient! ==

#140 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 769 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.18 @ 14:36 (02:36 PM)

== Ensign Mariella Simpkins - Temp Medical NRC ==

Considering that the vivacious and normally slightly hyper redhead had only been on shift for the last couple of hours. She hadn't stopped since the second the doors had opened, not that she was complaining, even when it involved the less glamorous side of being a medical officer. Restocking supplies, cataloguing inventory, sanitising and cleaning were just some of the tasks she usually did and for the last hour, Mariella had been hands deep in sanitising fluid, sterilising equipment. In fact she was likely to whiff of said fluid, not exactly her usual brand of perfume.

Again it was nothing that a shower wouldn't resolve later and it at least smelled slightly better than some of the other fluids that she came in contact with. Whilst the redhead worked, she had listened to theories and conjecture surrounding their stop at this repair station. Having seen the devastation caused by the mine, Mariella was certainly hopeful. However until there was news carried on with her tasks, not once flinching when the yellow alert then sounded. Having no idea of the exact time or how long she had been working, didn't concern her as such and neither did the alert, having been used to them.

A certain mindset always took over at moments like this and would be ready to assist where needed. Such an opportunity arose, minutes later when she had finished with her task and asked by the second in command to check in on Dr Sydesh in Iso lab 1 and help if needed.

Mariella hadn't worked much with her fellow redhead so this was a chance to rectify that and help out in the process, with whatever was going on. Cleaning up, Mariella acknowledged the request and was soon on her way. Stopping respectfully to make herself known and not scare anyone, especially with Sydesh having a patient.

" Dr Sydesh, sorry for the interruption, I've been asked to check in and see if you need any help?".

== Tag Beka ==

#141 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22107.18 @ 15:07 (03:07 PM)

== Main Sickbay ==

There always seemed to be some sort of drama when it came to the nurses. Things had been quieter since Mayfair had taken over the hens but still, it was nearly inevitable when that many women of a certain personality type worked together. Today, there seemed to be something going on in the background that Jasmine just wasn't privy to but whatever it was, it was making some of the nurses a little more prickly than usual. She had just gotten done mediating a somewhat successful conversation between one of the orderlies and one of the nurses, who felt the orderly had disrespected her in the course of caring for a patient that morning, but it had left her wondering why she continued to oversee the department. Personnel within Star Fleet Medical were just too soft and sensitive, constantly offended by the most ridiculous of things. In Jasmine's mind, all of it would be solved by throwing all of the little entitled nurses, doctors, PAs and orderlies into an actual war and afterwards, seeing whether they were still upset that Doctor X had used their coffee cup that doesn't have their name on it.  And that was exactly why this was not the long term position for her. 

She sighed and rubbed her face as she cleared the main treatment area, turning to cross in front of the nurse's station on her way to her office. It was the long way to her office but it had allowed her to avoid the lounge, where no doubt someone was offended by something and felt the need to tell her about it. She wondered how Tyra did it on a larger scale and then, considered that maybe other departments weren't as bad. However, she'd heard enough stories from Cera to know that likely wasn't the truth.

Jasmine must have been so deep in her thoughts that she hadn't heard the door open, though she'd registered Nurses Collister and Ferin moving in her peripheral. One moment, she was moving with a purpose for her office and the next, she'd been plowed into by an unsteady and slow moving train. A train that had a blue hand and a very strong grip as it caught her upper arm for balance. 

Her blue eyes dropped to the hand first, noting that it seemed to shake ever so slightly, before following the arm upwards to the gold shoulders of their uniform and then, the blue face. With the way the harsh lighting of Sickbay bounced off the deep blue hue of the crewman's skin, Jasmine couldn't tell if he was sweating but his eyes were unmistakably unfocused and almost glazed. With a slight grunt, she tried to pry his hands off, her mind immediately jumping to the conclusion that this engineering crewman had hit the sauce just a little too hard after, or before, his shift.

"Doctor," the crewman managed to force out. His words came out as almost a croak with a hint of gravel on the backside and were punctuated by what Jasmine could only define as a very, very alarming wheeze. 

There were many different kinds of noises that could indicate different issues within the respiration tract. Typically, humans struggling to breath wheezed on the exhale, not the inhale, but it was possible that minor differences in Bolian physiology made such a minor difference possible. To be entirely frank, Jasmine hadn't treated a lot of Bolians in her career -- they'd been a little rare in the marines -- but she did know when her gut told her that something was very wrong. 

Instead of continuing to pull her arm out of his grip, she used her other arm to begin guiding the crewman towards the nearest biobed, propelling him faster than his unsteady gait likely supported. By the time they reached the biobed, Nurses Collister and Ferin were already there to help her lift him awkwardly up onto the biobed. They tried to get him to lay down but he fought them, insisting on sitting in a tripod position on the edge of the biobed. Jasmine didn't fight him on it, understanding that patients would always fight to position themselves in a way that allowed them the most amount of air possible. 

"This is Crewman Ladis," Collister reported from the foot of the biobed. "He has tachycardia with a low O2 score."

"Finish running his vitals. Note his BP and refill rate. Look for a contraindication for an anaphylaxis protocol and then, keep an eye on his chest rise," she said to Collister before looking at Ferin. "Start prepping the protocol. Even if he's got something else going on, it won't do more harm than not breathing will."

There were other orders she wanted to give. She wanted to ask Collister to run a detailed scan of Ladis' immune system to determine if his immune system had begun producing the protein it would during a severe allergic reaction. She wanted to ask for a blood test to confirm the presence of the antibody that would be the end result of that immune reaction but Ferin's task would be done well before either of those could be completed. The fact of the matter was that Ladis could deteriorate rapidly at any moment and there wasn't time to delay once the protocol was ready. They would either have confirmed it or not.

"Ladis, I need you to keep taking deep breaths for me, okay?" she instructed as she pulled on gloves and stepped to stand in front of the young Bolian. She didn't give Ladis a chance to react as she grabbed his jaw and conducted a finger sweep of his mouth, almost like trying to clear a foreign object from a dog's mouth. She, then, gently probed the outside of his throat, looking for swelling in the tissue or within the lymph nodes. 

There was no doubt that Ladis wouldn't like what she was doing but she needed to be thorough while Ferin made her preparation. It was very likely that her observations now would be crucial down the road if they either couldn't administer the Bolian equivalent of epinephrine or it didn't work. Unfortunately, she couldn't very well ask him any questions in his current state but she could pull up his file to see if there were any medical conditions listed or allergies.

== GM Input: Remember, you asked for this...  What are the rest of Ladis' vitals, particularly blood pressure? Did Collister find any reason not to administer whatever amounts to Bolian epi?  Did Jas notice any objects in Ladis' mouth/airway? Did she notice anything unusual with his throat or nodes? Is she able to find his medical records? Oh and any deterioration or developments on his condition? Is he still breathing? ==

#142 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.18 @ 22:31 (10:31 PM)

The answer was unconvincing, but Beka wasn’t going to rush to judgment on that. 

Pretty sure I wouldn’t be making much sense if I’d been beamed out of my workplace, then dumped in an isolation lab with some lunatic who’d ripped my shirt off my back.

“Oh, I understand the temptation,” she replied. “I’ve got a huge phoenix tattoo around my left arm and shoulder that I would love to have pop a bit more. But when I asked to test the inks, everyone got very defensive. I don’t know if that’s to blame for what’s happened to you but it’s my prime suspect. ”

There was no question that Maxwell was having an allergic reaction to something. That much was patently clear in the results of the blood sample in particular. But the prospect of having to narrow down exactly what had triggered the reaction was one that Sydesh really wasn’t looking forward to. 

There’s no quick answer. I can’t just run a sample and it pings up ‘hey, this is it’. Allergens have been a pain in the arse for 500 years. I guess I better get started...

Beka hung her head and sighed silently. Today was really turning into a crash course of the most mundane aspects of her job, and there was a part of her that wondered what she could have done differently to impress the Captain and be called up for away team duty. Quickly she swept that thought to one side, knowing how easy it would be for that to snowball on her when Hunter needed her help. 

The screen in front of her flashed to draw her attention. It showed that there was an anomalous reading that wasn’t matching anything in the database, and an orange eyebrow curved upwards as Sydesh read the report. 

“OK. Bad news I’m afraid,” the doctor said. “I need another blood sample. There is something in there that the computer doesn’t recognise, so I have to focus in on it.”

As the redhead was taking the samples, the hiss of the isolab doors warned of someone incoming, and Beka looked up to see Ensign Simpkins. 

"Dr Sydesh, sorry for the interruption, I've been asked to check in and see if you need any help?"

“Always happy to see back-up,” Beka replied with a wolfish grin. She straightened up and then loaded the additional blood samples she’d just taken into the scanner before her green eyes went back to her fellow redhead. 

“Patient is Crewman Hunter Maxwell,” the doctor said. “He presented with a mild fever, elevated temperature and sweating, and a wicked case of dermatitis.” She pointed out the patches on his neck, back and left arm. “Blood samples are showing high amounts of IgE so we’re looking at an allergic reaction. I’m trying to work out the allergen is, because it’s nothing obvious. Computer says there’s something in his bloodstream that it doesn’t recognise, so I’m running tests on that.”

Sydesh was quiet for a few moments to give the other medic time to take all the information in. 

“Whilst I’m looking at this sample, do you think you could start the allergen testing please?” she asked. “I’ve looked at tissue samples, but I’ve not had the chance to scan for anything on the skin that could be causing the reaction. All my efforts were under the skin, not on it.”

Beka’s fingers skipped across the interface as she started to run a more detailed scan, trying to isolate the anomalous reading in the blood test and pick out the decaying elements.

== Tag Simpkins! GM input on the detailed blood test please - is the computer able to isolate the anomaly and give more information, given that there’s the extra samples now provided and the more specific scans focussing on it? ==

#143 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 769 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.19 @ 10:36 (10:36 AM)

== Iso Lab 1 ==

Mariella wasn't one to obstruct or get in the way of a Doctor being busy or if her help was politely declined. However this wasn't one of those instances as she was greeted warmly and with a wolfish grin. Knowing that she was indeed needed, gave the redhead a slight pep in her step as the doors to the lab closed behind her. Smiling in response to the welcome that she had received, Mariella then gave Beka and the patient her full attention as she was brought up to speed. Watching as Beka pointed to the obvious patches on Maxwell's neck, back and left arm. Taking in all the details as her brain processed it all.

It was both a mystery and something to really get the brain thinking or so Mariella thought as the information sank in. Besides it wasn't every day that something allergy related presented itself in this way. There lay the problem within and if Mariella could be of use in aiding the Doctor to solve the puzzle as it were, then that's what she would do. She understood what was required of her and also why Beka hadn't been able to complete that particular task.

" Understood and of course Doctor, I'll get right on it" the Ensign replied, not wanting to impede or slow anything down as she responded to the information and request. Moving over so she could begin working, Mariella smiled warmly at Hunter as she started the process of testing for allergens. Naturally it might take a while but that's were the process of elimination until they got the result came in useful. Whatever happened Maxwell would remain for as long as necessary to ensure that it wasn't anything life threatening.

== Tag Beka, also GM input on the allergen test, what does Mariella find? ==

#144 GM-12

GM-12

• Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 370 posts
  • Formerly Most Angelic
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22107.21 @ 23:47 (11:47 PM)

== For Sydesh ==

Due to the degradation of the anomalous substance and the limitations of the equipment installed in the isolation labs, the computer was only able to build a partial molecular profile.

It was an organic substance and the portion of the molecule that it mapped did not have indications that it had been modified in any way. With an accuracy of 68%, the computer deduced  the molecule was plant based.

In order to get a more complete profile, Sydesh would need to either expand the capabilities she had at her disposal or find a closely related profile of a known substance that would assist the computer in deducing the substance.  Sydesh might be able to utilize the superior analytical capabilities of the primary science lab, which could be arranged through the science department's head. Alternatively, a more manual analysis could be conducted by comparing the profile to the expansive agricultural database to look for similar profiles.

== For Simpkins ==

The Allergen test was a simple enough process with tissue samples gathered to test against numerous different Allergen types. The complication came  from the sheer size of the database. Without narrowing it down, it would take a minimum of an hour to run through just the most common of allergies across all the different foods, plants, pollens, mold, and other allergens that were within the database.

== For Tyrol ==

Lardis' heart rate remained rapid but was becoming weaker. His blood pressure was low. Were he Human, he would have been showing signs of cyanosis in his extremities but instead, his skin was taking on a slightly darker shade with a flush of purple moving up his neck as he continued to struggle to breath.

Collister had found no indications of any reason to not treat Lardis with a anaphylaxis protocol.

There was no sign of blockage in Lardis' throat that was impeding his airway. However, she likely noticed that his tongue was swollen, which could become a blockage. Lardis had squirmed when Tyrol had examined his neck, possibly due to swollen tissue, but she had not noticed any swollen nodes or deformities to the external throat.

His record was accessible but other than broken bones and a minor allergy to Hicoy nuts, a Bolian delicacy, there was nothing of note in the quick skim of the record that Tyrol might have managed, if she was a quick reader

As for poor Lardis, he was still struggling substantially as the other nurse finished preparing the protocol. While there was no clear, 100% confirmation of anaphylaxis, Lardis didn't have enough time for floundering or indecision as he wheezed and struggled.

#145 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22107.28 @ 21:23 (09:23 PM)

== Sorry for the delay and thanks for the *** kicking, GM! ==

"I'm not coming up with any contraindications," Collister pronounced from the foot of the biobed, almost in time with Ferin returning with the much needed hypospray.

It felt heavy in Tyrol's hand as the nurse dropped it into her palm and her fingers closed around it. Despite the lack of definitive proof that this was anaphylaxis, Jasmine's years of experience told her it was and even if it wasn't, the protocol wouldn't harm him. It would merely not help him breath, which was something she needed to consider.

"Ferin, be prepared to start breathing for him should this fail. His tongue is swollen so be prepared to get it out of the way," she ordered, giving the nurse a sharp look before turning to face Ladis.

Ladis was still wheezing and his skin was starting to darken into a light shade of purple, which was more than alarming. However, Jasmine didn't take the time to further examine him before pressing the hypospray to his neck, the hiss hopefully offering a needed relief for the young Bolian.

In the background, Jasmine could hear equipment moving as Ferin worked to prepare for the worst but her blue eyes remained on Lardis, even as she spoke to Collister. "Scan his immune system to confirm an antibody release that corresponds with the body's reaction to an allergen. Scan his stomach contents to determine what he consumed last -- he's allergic to some sort of nut so be looking for that but it's suppose to be a minor allergy so even if you find it, we need to dig deeper just to be certain."

Jasmine's lips pressed together as she tried to discern whether Lardis' wheezing was improving or remaining the same. The fact of the matter was that, even if the protocol worked, they needed to find the origin before the young man managed to come in contact with it again. She couldn't imagine that he would willingly consume something he was allergic to nor did she believe that a Bolian nut was likely to be prevalent on the Artemis. This was very likely a new allergy that was presenting itself and it was Jasmine's responsibility to ensure that they identified it before Lardis, unwittingly, encountered it again and possibly had an even more critical reaction.

How do you identify an allergen....

"Also pull a blood sample and analyze it, looking for... well, anything that stands out," she added, her grip on Lardis loosening slightly as she watched his chest rise with a little more freedom and his skin seemed to be lightening once more. 

"Take a deep breath for me, Mr. Lardis," she instructed, thought she managed a smile now. "Collister, he responded to the protocol so we are looking for something that triggered an allergic reaction but not something he's likely come in contact with before," the last part was said with a slightly puzzling tone. After all, the Artemis was a controlled environment and random, undocumented allergies were not extremely common. "Hell, make it a deep dive and also look for signs of toxins and infections in that blood sample. We are in uncharted space -- who knows what is floating around to make us sick."

"How are you feeling, Lardis? Can you tell me what you were doing when this happened? And where you've been?"

== GM Input: What does Lardis say? What does the scan of the immune system show, particularly looking for antibody counts? What does Lardis' stomach content show? And lastly, how does his blood look -- any signs of an allergen, infection or toxin in his blood? ==

#146 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.28 @ 21:56 (09:56 PM)

"Understood and of course Doctor, I'll get right on it," Simpkins said, turning a megawatt smile to Maxwell as she started the tests. 

Beka was grateful for the help, and someone to be the comfort to the crewman that she couldn’t be. The redhead had a lot she needed to work with and trying to piece this together was taking all her mental bandwidth. 

As the scans came in, she sighed loudly, muttering a dire imprecation against substandard equipment under her breath as she got yet another inconclusive test result. 

“OK, so. Our mystery ingredient is 68% likely to be plant based,” Sydesh said. “Mariella, might be best to start with the plant related tests? In the meantime, we can start with an antihistamine to ease any discomfort. I think I know just the one for plants.” 

The kit that she’d taken to Security was still on the side of the isolab, and she started to rummage through the hyposprays that she’d packed at LCdr Tyrol’s instruction. After a moment she found the one that she was looking for and came back to the patient’s side. 

“Sorry about the wait,” she said, pressing the hypospray to his neck and dosing him. “I wanted to give you something I know will actually help. I’ll leave this here in case Ensign Simpkins needs to give you another dose or two.”

Laying the hypospray down, Beka took a step back. She still had a blood sample and an idea had entered her head as to how she could get an answer to her many many questions. 

“Sydesh to Science Labs. Can I speak to a botanist please? I’ve got a patient with an allergic reaction to an unknown compound, and my scanners can only tell me that they’re 70% certain it’s a plant. I could really use another set of eyes.”

There was a moment’s pause. 

[Science to Sydesh. You’ll need to bring us your sample please. When you get here can you report to Ensign Layla Rael. She’ll help you. I’ll send on your message. Science out.]

Beka sighed again. 

“Looks like I’m off for a walk,” she said. “Mariella, can you keep an eye on things please? I’ll be back as quick as I can.”

Picking up the blood sample, the redhead headed for the door. There was a whirring sound as the isolab systems cleared her to leave, and then she was off to the Science Labs at a run. 

== Next post, Science Labs == 

#147 GM-12

GM-12

• Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 370 posts
  • Formerly Most Angelic
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22107.28 @ 22:17 (10:17 PM)

== Tyrol ==

Ladis swallowed a few times before manage words that sounded hoarse. "Tired. I was fixing a relay and just started feeling weird. I could not really get a breath in." Ladis paused to take a deep breath, his exhale almost sounding like a relieved sigh. 

"I've been in Engineering and then, deck... I don't even remember what deck the relay was on," he said with a shrug. 

The immune system scan showed elevated antibody activity, which was confirmed by the basic blood test that showed elevated IgE. Ladis' stomach content showed that he had eaten breakfast approximately 4 hours earlier and it had consisted of what appeared to be granola. Specifically, based on the sweeteners and trace amounts of chocolate, it was a standard granola and chocolate chip ration bar. 

The more advanced blood analyze did not show any signs of infection or any traces of known allergens or toxins. However, it did identify an anomalous reading within the blood work, which was in the process of degrading. 

== You can assume that a more detailed analysis of the reading will achieve the same results as Sydesh's, though your sample will have a 74% chance of being plant based as it is not as degraded. ==

#148 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 769 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.29 @ 08:19 (08:19 AM)

Collecting the samples had been straightforward enough, however Mariella hadn't quite anticipated the sheer volume of data available to her. What she thought would be an easy task in testing the samples against known allergens had now become a little more complicated. With a time estimation of an hour to just run through the most common of allergies across all spectrums. The Ensign knew that she would have to try and narrow it down in the hope that she would find the right one.

If not then it would a case of repeating the process until she did but also had to remember that this allergic reaction might also be something that wasn't on the database. However she wasn't about to admit defeat as Dr Sydesh received her own results. Listening to her fellow Ensign it appeared as though she had found a way to narrow down her own tests, when it was revealed that this mystery substance and possible allergen was 68% plant based.

When Beka then suggested starting on the plant based tests, Mariella actually smiled as she'd been thinking more or less the same thing as Beka then gave Maxwell an antihistamine based on what they knew now. " Agreed, I was thinking the same thing as I needed to narrow down the test parameters" she replied as Beka then spoke to the security officer and administered the hypo.

Leaving it readily available should Mariella need to give more doses, the Ensign then prepared to run more tests on the skin samples that she had taken. Although not before Beka hit upon an idea as she contacted the Science Complex. Considering what was happening and a lot of things still unknown, Mariella thought it was a good idea as Beka asked her to keep an eye on things whilst she was gone.

"Sure and good luck " Mariella responded before Beka left. Turning her attention back to what she was doing, Mariella then started running tests against known plant allergens before speaking to Maxwell.

" How are you feeling?" she asked, in order to determine the effects of the antihistamine and whether he needed another dose or not.

== GM input, results of the tissue sample tests against known plant allergens?, is it something in the database?, also how is the patient and did the antihistamine work? ==

#149 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22107.31 @ 13:43 (01:43 PM)

"Tired. I was fixing a relay and just started feeling weird. I could not really get a breath in,: Ladis managed to force out, his voice as hoarse and rough as she would expect it to be. He continued on, trying to describe where he had been with litle luck. It honestly did not surprise Tyrol as a side effect of anaphylaxis was brain fog. She had seen patients completely unable to recount the last hour of their day prior to their reaction, though it usually cleared as their body calmed down from its fight or flight reaction.  Tired was also a common side effect, though that was often a combination reaction to the anaphylaxis and the treatment.

Tyrol placed her hand on the young Bolian's shoulder, using firm pressure to guide him back on the biobed. "It's okay to be tired. I'm going to let you rest for a few moments, okay? Nurse Ferin will take good care of you," she said soothingly, motioning to the Ferin before stepping back.

"Give him some O2 therapy. He's probably going to be groggy but do a full physical exam of him. Check for hives, discoloration, anything that we can point to as a side effect of an allergic reaction. Once we identify the culprit, I want to be able to document everything so that we can, hopefully, prevent this from occurring once more," she advised, to which Ferin nodded her head. 

With Ladis now in Ferin's capable hands, Jasmine moved towards the end of the biobed. As she moved, the doctor had the strangest feeling that there was something she was missing, some nagging feeling at the back of her conscious thought that was trying to wave her down. However, she shook her head to push the feeling further to the back as she stepped to the end of the biobed, where Collister was working. The nurse offered her a weak smile as she came to stand next to her before focusing back on the console. 

"He does have elevated IgE so it's either allergen or something that triggers an allergic reaction," Collister reported, pointing to that particular scan result. 

"It looks like our crewman had a granola bar for breakfast and it does not appear he was dumb enough to eat Hicoy nuts. Whatever he was exposed to is not in the system," Collister continued, tapping her finger on a different part of the screen to draw Jas' attention to a scan result.

The raven haired doctor moved closer, her nose crinkling slightly as she focused on the scan results. The degradation of the substance and the limitations of sickbay's general analysis abilities made it so that the molecular profile of the anomalous substance in Ladis' blood was incomplete. However, the computer deduced that it was organic and most probable to be plant based. With the analysis at 74%, Jasmine felt it was very likely that the deductions were accurate but an undocumented plant based particle on the Artemis was rather a large clue in itself. After all, short of a very, very complex set of circumstances that allowed an unknown organic substance, likely a planet, to be brought on in the AQ and somehow remain undetected, the source of the particle had to have been acquired more recently and was like Delta Quadrant based, which would explain why the computer was unable to ascertain the identity of the substance. 

"74% is still pretty dang good. Practically three fourths of the way to a full profile," Jasmine mused.

"Given its unknown status, I think it's safe to say that it's likely a product of the Delta, which means it stands apart even more. Less of a needle in a haystack and more of a root in a garden," Collister added. 

Jasmine paused for a moment, letting that settle in for a few moments as she considered what to do with that information. "Assuming we're correct about it being a product of our current environment, it's going to stand out in some way from existing plants and substances. That means that, even with a 74% profile, we still could be able to narrow down its location on the ship, assuming its profile is distinct enough. Given it's a plant, I can't imagine we have that many plants aboard..."

Collister made a noise that sounded less than impressed. "I suppose you haven't seen Cera's garden then but you're right. I don't imagine she's growing plants from this wasteland. But such a detailed scan will require specialized filters on the internal sensors and a lot of computing power."

"That it will. Last I checked, there's only one place on the ship that can get the internal sensors dialed in that tightly," she remarked with a grin. "While I'm gathering some back-up, can you find out if Mister Ladis spent a substantial amount of time on New Talax? Oh and see if Lexi is around to run a sample of this substance to the lab she's been borrowing in science."

As Collister nodded and turned to try to pull up the duty rosters from New Talax, Jasmine tapped her communicator. "Tyrol to Gregg. By any chance, are you currently on the bridge? I have a molecular profile for an unknown substance that we believe caused an allergic reaction in an engineer. We believe it's plant based, which should narrow it down nicely, but it is unidentified and not in the system. Can you please run a detailed internal scan of the Artemis utilizing that profile? I don't know how broad or narrow you can make the scan but while I would love a pinpoint location, I would take even having the search narrowed down to a deck as a victory. Thank you."

With that request made and Collister and Ferin both working on tasks for her, Jasmine was left there with her thoughts, that nagging feeling once again biting at the edge of her consciousness. Instead of pushing it back this time, the doctor settled into it, frowning slightly as she tried to decide what it was about the situation that bothered. Certainly having an unknown substance aboard the vessel was concerning, especially since she had voiced her concerns about how the foods and vegetation of the Delta Quadrant might affect their diverse array of species, but that wasn't what was bothering her she decided. There was a piece to all of this that she was missing but it was something that was within her ability to identify.

After a few moments, she let a breath out as she slowly pulled the bit to the surface. Ladis wasn't the first potential allergic reaction reported that morning and while it was entirely possible that the patient Sydesh had rushed to treat didn't have an allergic reaction or chose to eat a peanut butter candy despite an allergy, Jasmine wasn't a firm believer in coincidences. However, given that she had never received an update on that case, she had to assume that either it was a very minor case that had been easily identified and moved on, likely treated in place, or it hadn't been an allergic reaction at all but something else easily treatable. Still, if the marines had taught her anything, it was that assuming was a dangerous game. 

"Tyrol to Sydesh. What happened with your security patient? I assume you ended up treating in place, if it even needed treatment? Was it an allergic reaction?"

== GM Input: Any changes in Ladis? Did Ladis go over to New Talax? ==

#150 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.03 @ 22:52 (10:52 PM)

== For Tyrol == 

[Sydesh here. I’m pretty certain it was an allergic reaction. High IgE levels and surface dermatitis. Ensign Simpkins is with the patient now administering the allergen tests. The computer identified an unknown particle, and I’m actually in Science at the moment getting some help because their scanners are more powerful than ours. Turns out the particle is from a flowering plant we’ve not seen before, probably pollen. We’re going to send you the details of the sample now.]

There was a moment's pause, and then a download of the computer's detailed report of the almost-certainly-pollen particle appeared on the nearest terminal, along with some quick explanatory notes from the science officer Ensign Layla Rael. 

[If it is from New Talax, maybe we can ask Engineering to scan the transporter logs, see if anything matching came up from the planet and who with, so that we can start tracking these flowers down?]

Beka was unaware that the CMO had already asked for a scan to be completed, but her idea could potentially be a back-up plan if the initial one was inconclusive. 

== For Simpkins ==

[Sydesh to Simpkins. Mariella, our unknown particle looks like flower pollen from New Talax. Can you focus the allergen tests on that area please? If those tests come back positive then we can confirm what we’re dealing with.]

#151 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22108.04 @ 18:09 (06:09 PM)

Jasmine paused in what she was doing to rub her forehead as Sydesh answered. While she didn't think Sydesh had done anything wrong nor did she feel her doctors needed to be micromanage, there was likely some logic to reporting the possibility of an unknown Allergen running around the ship. What would have happened if Jasminr hadn't been present or notified if the call coming in and therefore hadn't known to contact Sydesh? Likely they would have ended up doubling their work and extended the time it took to find an answer.

Might need to consider a centralized dispatch of sorts...to track such patterns, she considered before shelving the idea.

"Okay, well, we have what I'm going to call a second allergic reaction in the series. We isolated a partial molecular reading for an unknown substance that likely is the same one you've identified. I forwarded our partial to Commander Gregg so that he could utilize the bridge's internal sensor capabilities to locate it. Forward your finding to him as well and provide him with guidance on what you feel he needs to be looking for," Jasmine explained before providing instruction.

Now, Jasmine paused for a moment, both considering Sydesh suggestions and what she needed to be doing. "We will begin attempting to find a commonality between these two patients. While Maxwell's case was mild, our patient was in anaphylaxis when he stumbled."

Then, Jas clicked her tongue. "You can give the transporter logs a shot. I believe the plants came back in a large crate with our medical supplies so they likely were transported with the cargo transporter. The issue is going to be that I'm not sure the computer would have collected that detailed of data; it's looking for threats, not to catalogue the plants. Otherwise, the science nerds wouldn't need to be hours into a long, long process of cataloging," Jas said, the last punctuated with a laugh.

She had actually lent science two research assistants with interest and experience in the pharmaceutical uses of plants to science for the process. Her understanding was that it was a long, slow process but both of her people seemed excited about it, even if it sounded like Jasmine's worst nightmare. It just went to show that there were certainly some overlaps between the two disciplines.

"Does Maxwell have any connection to science?" She asked as she began pulling up records.

She already had Ladis' record up and Maxwell's was in her history from when she looked him up prior to Sydesh's deployment to security. She was looking for any commonalities or intersections between the two. Had they eaten together or worked out close to one another? Had Ladis repaired a replicator in Maxwell's quarters? Had they been assigned together on New Talax?

== GM Input: Anything connect these two patients to one another? Also just to double check, the particle Sydesh sent is the same one we came up with? ==

#152 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.06 @ 21:06 (09:06 PM)

There was a brief pause before Sydesh responded. 

[Understood, Commander. I’ll get our findings up to the Bridge along with our notes.]

After a second she continued.

[I’m not sure about commonality, but I can come back up to Sickbay in a moment. There is a connection to Science. Maxwell has a bunkmate, Crewman Havri, who’s a scientist here. I’ve just scanned him to look for traces of the molecule. Tricorder will give me an answer in a second I hope. I had a half-arsed theory that maybe someone brought the flower up as part of a bouquet or something for a girlfriend. We have Maxwell as living proof that people on our crew will willingly inject themselves with unknown chemicals so bringing flowers aboard isn’t a great leap.]

Sydesh took another second. 

[We’ve got a science officer assigned to help us, Ensign Rael. She’s the one that analysed the sample for me. She’s also looking through all the samples so far to see if she can find a match.]

There was a strange noise and then a bright, cheery [Hiya!] in an unfamiliar voice, followed by a strange crackle and a muted voice that was clearly Beka's remonstrating with someone. 

[Sorry about that. But we do have back-up. I’ll get on that submission to the Bridge now] Sydesh finished.

#153 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

• First Officers
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.10 @ 02:28 (02:28 AM)

Chief Coleman's voice broke through on Jasmine's comm badge.

[Coleman to Tyrol. Apparently, Mayfair is making her way back with one Midshipman Alken who… needs an assessment,] there was emphasis and a change in tone on the final word.

[Braggins advised me to take Sydesh over to the Repair Station in Mayfair’s stead due to Beka’s recent training,] another change of tone and overemphasis hit the last work of the sentence.

[Advise any concerns if needed.]

#154 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.11 @ 00:20 (12:20 AM)

>> Science Labs >>

Beka stepped out of the turbolift and hurried through Sickbay. She paused in the doctor’s room to get herself a strong coffee, and downed the hot drink in one before going to load up on equipment.

As she picked out a trauma kit from a supply closet and started to check it over, Mid Marini approached, the even younger doctor apparently slightly nervous about what he had to say. 

“Spit it out. I’ve been summoned to the transporter room, so say what you gotta and do it quickly,” Sydesh said, not unkindly. 

“Erm, I just wanted to check. Was there anything you needed me to do?” he asked. “I seem to be getting in everyone’s way on the floor, and then I saw you come back.”

“Actually, yes. Yes I do have a job for you.” Beka finished checking the trauma kit, laid the box on the floor and then gave the Midshipman her full attention. “I was working with Ensign Simpkins in Medlab 1 on Crewman Maxwell. He presented with mild fever, elevated temperature and spontaneous spreading dermatitis. I’ve been down in the Science Labs investigating what we think is the allergen, and we’re 95% sure it’s pollen from a flower from New Talax. Marie… Ensign Simpkins is carrying out an allergen test to confirm. Can you go and help her please? If this is an allergic reaction caused by the pollen sample then it should be treatable.” 

Marini nodded, a smile on his face. 

“Yes ma’am!” he said. “I’ll get right on that.”

“Good man. Oh, and call me ma’am again, the next operation you’ll be performing is to remove my boot from your arse,” Beka said with a wry smile. 

“Sorry, sorry! I keep forgetting, you’re weird about what you want people to call you,” he answered quickly, risking a grin. 

“Is ‘doctor’ really so hard?” Sydesh chided gently, still smiling. “Now go. Beat it before I change my mind and give you some hyposprays to inventory.”

Marini gave her a mock salute and headed off in the direction of the medlabs. 

He’s learning, Beka thought to herself as she picked out and started to check off another standard kit. OK, he’s learning from me, so there’s enough sass in there that he’s probably going to get himself in serious **** with one of the more senior doctors. But he’s good enough that I’ll fight the battle for him if I need to.

Once she was done with the kit, she transferred both into a larger case and added another set of surgical tools and a few more field dressings. Slamming the box shut, she threw the strap across her broad shoulders. Tucking one of the empty cases back into the closet, she took the other and headed back into the doctor’s room. 

The team has been over there a while and from the sounds of this, we’re in for a fight. So let’s take some provisions.

Sydesh stood next to the replicator and keyed in a series of commands, ordering a stack of ration bars, isotonic drinks in flasks and half a dozen hot coffees in sealed cups. As far as she was concerned, keeping the team upright fell within her purview.

It’s not like they can eat the food over there or anything. We have no idea what’s in it or whether it’s safe. You’d have to be a maniac to risk it.

As the replicator churned away, Beka hit her commbadge. 

“Sydesh to Tyrol. I’m just getting my gear together to go to the transporter room. I’ve left Ensign Rael in Science to work on trying to find the source of that pollen. Mid Marini is taking over for me in Medlab 1 with Ensign Simpkins. I’ve given him the handover. I think that’s everything. I’ll report back when the team returns. Sydesh out.”

With the update given, the redhead quickly packed her supplies and headed back out again. 

>> Transporter Rooms >> 

== Mid Doug Marini, Medical NRC ==

With Beka’s words still ringing in his ears, Doug made his way to the lab to meet up with Ensign Simpkins. 

I am not going to screw this up! Sydesh is crazy but she’s one of the better teachers I’ve had. I kinda gotta repay that faith…

Running a hand through jet black hair, the young doctor went through the decontamination process and then stepped inside. 

“Hey Ensign,” he said in greeting. “Dr Sydesh got called away, so she’s sent me to pick up for her.” Doug tapped a few keys on the nearby console to catch himself up on the case files. “How’s the allergen tests coming?” he asked.

== For Tyrol ==

[Sydesh to Tyrol. I’m just getting my gear together to go to the transporter room. I’ve left Ensign Rael in Science to work on trying to find the source of that pollen. Mid Marini is taking over for me in Medlab 1 with Ensign Simpkins. I’ve given him the handover. I think that’s everything. I’ll report back when the team returns. Sydesh out.]

#155 GM-12

GM-12

• Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 370 posts
  • Formerly Most Angelic
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22108.12 @ 22:38 (10:38 PM)

== Simpkins ==

The allergen test came back negative for all known plant allergens. Whatever it was was not registered in any database.

The antihistamines seemed to bring itchy relief to Maxwell, even if it also brought on drowsiness. Simpkins would notice that the young man seemed to be struggling to keep his eyes open with his head bowing and nodding occasionally.

== Tyrol ==

Ladis was stable, albeit it tired. He complained of some throat itchiness, which might have been a side effect of the previous constriction or could be a more mild continuation of his allergy reaction.

Ladis was never assigned to any of the engineering teams working on New Talax. However, he had handled equipment that had been utilized on New Talax upon its return. 

After calculating the movements of Ladis and Maxwell and cross referencing the conclusions from these movements against known records, the computer provided the following information: Ladis and Maxwell both worked the Charlie shift but their duties did not bring them in contact with them. Maxwell was a frequent visitor of the gym facilities while Ladis had only visited the facilities once. Ladis regularly scheduled holodeck time following his shifts whereas Maxwell typically went straight to his bunkroom following his shift. Neither tended to eat in the Mess at the same time or socialize together. However, the computer did note that both comprised half of the occupancy of Cabin 934.

== Yes, the particle is from the same origin. ==

#156 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 769 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.13 @ 11:01 (11:01 AM)

As much as Mariella was silently hoping to find the answer within the Database. The Nurse wasn't overly surprised when the allergen test came back negative. Whatever this allergen was caused by, didn't yet exist within their normal go to information and yet the Redhead knew that this wasn't the end of their investigation. The key to this mystery now rested in the hands of Beka and the science department and whilst she had done what she could until she heard from the Doctor. It didn't mean that she was about to abandon Maxwell.

Although the Nurse was a little concerned when the enlisted officer didn't answer her question. Then again he could be forgiven as the antihistamine was clearly having an effect. Whilst it may of helped with the itching, it was also causing him some drowsiness as he struggled to keep his eyes open. For now Mariella would leave any further doses and monitor him, especially if he ended up falling asleep properly.

" Hopefully we'll have more answers for you soon Maxwell, just take it easy for the moment" she said reassuringly, not expecting a response.

[Sydesh to Simpkins. Mariella, our unknown particle looks like flower pollen from New Talax. Can you focus the allergen tests on that area please? If those tests come back positive then we can confirm what we're dealing with.]

The comm from Beka as Mariella finished speaking was definitely positive as they now had a new search parameter. Taking a moment to respond, Mariella activated her comm badge as she moved back to the console. " Simpkins to Sydesh, acknowledged, I'll get on that immediately".

So that's what Mariella did as she focused the next allergen test on New Talax and the flower pollen. As she did this, the Nurse looked up as she was joined by Mid Marini. Smiling as Doug greeted her before explaining why he was here. Mariella was definitely grateful for the additional help with Beka being called away. When he then asked about the allergen tests, Mariella was able to tell him.

" So far everything has come back negative, however before Beka got called away, she asked me to focus on New Talax as the unknown particle she found, looks to be flower pollen from there" she began. " I've just started another test so hopefully we'll get an answer as to whether it's that or not".

" Maxwell was given an antihistamine but is suffering some drowsiness, so I've been monitoring him".

== Tag Doug, also GM does the test come back as positive for flower pollen from New Talax? and how is Maxwell doing? ==

#157 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.12 @ 20:48 (08:48 PM)

== Happy to be back ==

>> Repair Station >>

The runabout faded away, replaced by the clean and familiar lines of the Artemis Medical Complex. She and Midshipman (was he even a Midshipman anymore?) Alken appeared in one of the ship's quarantine rooms, one designed to both keep infectious individuals isolated but also for the medical treatment of dangerous individuals. The purple-haired nurse didn't think that Alken was dangerous, per se, but he was most definitely under arrest. She wasn't sure exactly what he had done, but the Captain's tone as she dressed him down was crystal clear. Whatever it was had been so grievous that his career might well be over before it had really even begun. 

For her part she wasn't happy to be back on the ship, despite the oncoming danger the people on the station faced. Am I just a babysitter for an errant middie? Security could have handled this. 

And Security was already waiting. The nurse pointed to one of the isolation cells and motioned Alken towards it. "There. Please have a seat on the bed." A guard stepped up and removed Alken's cuffs along with his combadge, then left the cell. Robin activated the force field as the errant middie stepped in. "Facilities are activated with that button on your left, if you need them. I'll have some food and water brought in. You need to drink. Vomiting leads to dehydration. Please let the staff know if you need anything." Her sentences were short and clipped, containing a barely-concealed frustration. She hoped he wouldn't have the same attitude she'd heard on the repair station. He was already in enough trouble as it was. 

The young Augment nodded to the security guards, then stepped out of the room, the door hissing shut behind her. With a small sigh she pulled her tricorder off her belt and tapped the 'Upload' button, allowing the data from Alken's scans to be sent to the ship's databanks. She tapped her combadge.

[Mayfair to Tyrol. Doctor, I've been ordered to return to the Artemis with a prisoner, Midshipman Alken. He's in Iso Bay 1 under guard. I've uploaded his scans to the computer. He's not injured, aside from being stunned twice.]

I know I'm not a combatant, and I barely know which end of a phaser gets pointed towards the enemy, but I'm a fully-certified trauma nurse. This is exactly what I was trained for. I may be inexperienced on the battlefield, but the team will need all the help it can get. Maybe I can convince Dr. Tyrol to send me back. 

It was worth a shot, at least. Crawford and Tyrol could argue about it later. Robin wasn't eager to face the fight that was going to take place on the station, and was more than a bit scared, but she felt disgust at the idea of sheltering on the ship while the rest of the team faced the Kazon. 

How long do they have? A few minutes? Hope Dr. Tyrol isn't busy. 

== Tag Tyrol ==

#158 LCdr Jasmine Tyrol {Crawford}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000

Posted Star Date 22109.13 @ 01:34 (01:34 AM)

With the resolution of the medical mystery, Jasmine was playing clean up. Maxwell had been sent to his quarters to rest with orders to return in 48 hours for a secondary exam. Ladis had been moved to a recovery room for observation for the next five hours. The two roommates had been ordered to report immediately for examination, despite heavy protests. She had almost had to go retrieve the science crewman from the science lab by his ear but fortunately, hadn't had to revert to the southern mother's way of handling attitude.

In dealing with all of this, she had missed the evolution of the bigger problem with the base, which had resulted in Sydesh going to the base in her place. She found that frustrating, not because she missed the action but because she was missing an opportunity to lend her experience and expertise to an operation. Officers with her experience and in her previous line of work often found great anxiety and frustration when on the sideline, plagued by constant anxiety that their un-involvement would lead to something falling through the crack in an area that they specialized in.  In this instance, her experience as a combat paramedic allowed her to understand the abilities and limitations of their capabilities in a way that most of her contemporaries couldn't. However, more important for this type of situation was her experience in field hospitals and battlefield triages, both as a doctor and as a manager. Through trial by fire and blood, sweat and tears, she had learned how each little piece was critical, from the paramedics that got soldiers off of the X to the orderlies that moved them to the doctors that triaged them to the transports that got them to higher care. However, that clearly wasn't being considered when the medical contigency on the base consisted of Mayfair and Sydesh with no support staff and she believed that was because she hadn't been involved in the decision. Unfortunately, that was what happened your primary duty became administrative.

Jasmine shook those thoughts from her head as she nearly stalked down the corridor towards Exam Room 2. She could hear the loud voices before she could even see the door to the exam room and that just made her steps faster. The doors to Exam Room 2 yawned open upon her approach, revealing the the two occupants at each other's throats. Despite the fact that the man, who Jasmine assumed was Crewman Howard, towered over Nurse Rowells, the nurse was utilizing every bit of her New Yorker attitude to go toe to toe with him. Had they actually been touching, Jasmine might have likened them to two bucks with their horns locked in a battle for domination.

It took a rather loud throat clearing to get their attention, the two stepping back just a smidge. Rowells glanced at Jas, looking rather exasperated and frustrated, whereas Howard didn't take his eyes off his nemesis. There was no mistaking his feelings towards the nurse.

"Nurse, I don't need to remind you that I expect all members of my staff to behave professionally even when faced with..." she glanced at Howard without any attempt to hide it, "difficult circumstances, do I?" the CMO asked, her tone calm and even.

"No, ma'am," the nurse answered, taking an additional step back and folding her hands behind her back. 

Now, Jasmine's blue eyes shifted to the crewman. "Crewman, I understand that you're frustrated by this inconvenience. My staff and I share your frustration with the inconveniences of this situation. However, I would ask that instead of taking that frustration out on my staff, you consider the cause of that inconvenience, which I believe is your plant. As such, the only person deserving of that frustration would be you. Now, I don't recommend beating yourself up but I certainly won't allow you to beat up my staff. Do we have an understanding?"

His jaw clenched like he was considering his options. "Yes, ma'am," he manged through clenched teeth before deciding to not stop there. "With all due respect, I don't need an exam -- I don't need to be here at all."

The raven haired doctor tilted her head in considering. "You're getting an exam whether you like it or not. Now," she said, moving towards one of the cabinets against the wall, "if you would rather Nurse Rowells not perform the exam, I understand and would be happy to take over the exam myself," she stated as she finished rummaging through the cabinet and turned back to the crewman.

In Jasmine's hand was a rather impressive needle, which she unsheathed with with pointer fingers and thumb. In modern medicine, there were very few uses for old school needles but there were a few. The needle in her hand was not a blood draw or medical distribution needle but was used in an older technique for decompression of pnuemothoraxes. However, Howard didn't know that as his eyes widened at the object in her hand, likely assuming she'd be using it to take the blood sample from him.

"I should warn you that I went through medical school with the marines, where we didn't have such," she hummed, "fragile patients."

"Uh, well, I think the nurse is more than capable of giving me my exam, ma'am. I wouldn't want to waste your time, ma'am," Howard stuttered, his face flushing brighter than it had with his earlier anger.

"Good," she said, the click of the cap closing on the needle punctuated the statement. She set it down on the exam table before nodding to both of them and excusing herself before she had to witness the awkwardness that would be that particular exam. 

She was about half way down the corridor, heading back to the recovery room where Ladis was, when her communicator came to life. [Mayfair to Tyrol. Doctor, I've been ordered to return to the Artemis with a prisoner, Midshipman Alken. He's in Iso Bay 1 under guard. I've uploaded his scans to the computer. He's not injured, aside from being stunned twice.]

Jasmine wasn't sure exactly which part of the communication caused her deep frown. It was likely a tie between someone having been stunned twice and one of the two medical personnel on the base no longer being on the base. It was absolutely unacceptable to expect one doctor, a doctor that had never experienced true warfare as a doctor, to manage the long term medical needs of a battlefield. The paramedics were not primary medical professionals; while they were tasked with assisting their downed teammates, they were soldiers first and foremost. These were good paramedics, Jasmine had trained some of them in their refreshers but they were limited by their positional capabilities. If they were lucky, they could put hands on their injured teammate while on the X but more likely than not, they'd have to make do by instructing their teammate on how to treat themselves with their own mini medkit and crawl to the paramedic. If the injured wasn't ambulatory or capable of treating themselves, their survival chance was not high without actual medical professionals nearby to further the treatment of the paramedics. That wasn't likely to be successful with just one set of hands.

"I'll take over care of Mr. Alken. Leave any pertinent notes with the scan. Then, report back to the station ASAP if you can. They need more medical support than a single doctor," Jasmine said, her words punctuated with a sigh. If Jasmine thought there was time, she would have sent orderlies and likely McConnelly over to increase the odds of a successful set up but she knew that was unlikely given that none of them would be kitted up like Mayfair was. "Good luck. If you don't make it back over, come back to Sickbay."

== Over to you -- Go ahead and assume you are able to beam back over like we discussed! ==

#159 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.13 @ 02:01 (02:01 AM)

Jasmine's response was immediate. 

["I'll take over care of Mr. Alken. Leave any pertinent notes with the scan. Then, report back to the station ASAP if you can. They need more medical support than a single doctor."] Robin caught the sigh over her combadge. ["Good luck. If you don't make it back over, come back to Sickbay."]

"Understood, Doctor. Thank you." 

Well, that was easier than I thought it would be. I didn't even have to ask. 

She thought for a moment before tapping her badge again. "Mayfair to Ensign Ito. I had to come back to the ship temporarily, but I'm heading back to the station. Until I get back you're in charge."

The reply was brief and formal, exactly what Robin had come to expect from the extremely reserved Japanese woman. [Understood, Lieutenant.] 

With that done the Head Nurse headed for the supply cabinet. She knew there wasn't much time, but she was determined to be prepared. She was sure that her replacement (whoever it was) would have brought more medical equipment, but she didn't know how much. Better to be prepared, so the young JG slung several medkits over her shoulder. She refilled the bag she's stolen from the runabout with more hydration packs, combat rations, and water. 

Burdened down as much as her slight frame allowed, she tapped her combadge one more time. "Mayfair to transporter room. One to beam to the repair station. Please send me to the Captain's location." She hoped she wasn't too late, and half-expected to be told that she couldn't beam over. As she waited she awkwardly took her phaser from her belt and set it for heavy stun, level 3. 

That Kazon on the station didn't know it was only on level 1. It might not have done anything to him except slow him down. 

The familiar whine of the transporter rose in her ear and the Sickbay faded out. 

>> Repair Station >>

#160 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.13 @ 21:08 (09:08 PM)

== Before she left, Robin put in an order for food and drink for Alken, and made sure her notes were uploaded. ==