Jump to content


Photo

AT/D02 - Bridge


  • Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22012.15 @ 14:24 (02:24 PM)

==


  • 0

#2 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22102.05 @ 17:09 (05:09 PM)

Building a colony was important, in fact, it was vital to what the Artemis and the Pathfinder Expedition were tasked with in the Delta Quadrant, but it was also boring. Endless status reports, requisition requests, and so on; most of those went to the Jupiter, fortunately, but as Task Force Commander a lot of the more expensive requests had to be signed off by Tyra. That meant the older woman spent a lot more time in her Ready Room or in meetings, allowing Jenny to spend more time in the centre chair - something she'd have jumped at if only the Artemis were actually moving.

 

If I never see New Talax again, it'll be too soon; we've spent too damn long chained to this system, it's time to stretch our legs a bit.

 

Professionalism meant that Jenny never outwardly expressed her frustration except in private with a few close confidantes, but she'd noticed several other members of the crew were starting to feel the strain of being endlessly shackled to the Talaxian colony, and had already made mental notes to ensure they'd never be assigned to a Starbase or other static posting; they were starting to crack despite being in the middle of a mostly-unexplored, tie them down to an outpost in the middle of known space and they'd probably implode from the sheer boredom of things.

 

I could always hit the Battlestations command right now and liven things up a little...if I wanted to spend the rest of my life assigned to cargo haulers...

 

Shifting uncomfortably in her chair, Jenny went back to the report she had been reviewing; personnel efficiency was within acceptable levels but was falling ship-wide, and certain members of the crew were being rather vocal about how unfair it was that the other non-support ships of the Expedition had already departed while the Artemis stayed in one place. It was, unfortunately, the price of being the unofficial flagship. And it sucked.

 

Hopefully the ship would be released from its supervisory duties and there would be an opportunity for some excitement before too long...


  • 0

#3 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22102.09 @ 23:02 (11:02 PM)

==Recall timeline w/Jenny==

 

Benjamin walked onto the bridge, padd in his hand, and itching to get back out there. He’d spent far, far too long helping the Talaxians get their colony up and going, and almost felt like he was trying to grow roots. Other than the Academy, he thought, this has to be the longest I’ve spent in one place since I left home nearly… wow, nearly twelve years ago.

 

Had it been that long? He tried to think back and realized it had been. He’d left when David went to college, and had almost immediately gotten a post on a cargo ship. While he’d been on basically the same run for several years, that still meant a few days on Allanis with his – with Iris, and then a week or more of travel before a few more days planetside. Being stuck here at New Talax for months had begun to feel almost as torturous as being in sickbay.

 

He really hoped it was coming to an end soon.

 

A quick survey of the bridge showed it to be very quiet, with minimal staff at the moment, and on Commander Braggins sitting in the center chair. If she had been a filament, she would have been glowing red-hot with seething tension. She was reviewing a report of some kind, it looked like, though he was willing to bet she’d much rather be doing pretty much anything else.

 

He sighed and walked up to the chair, padd half-offered to her. “Final readiness reports from the ship’s systems. With the Scott’s help, we’ve got everything taken care of on board – excepting the Benamite supply, of course – and are right as rain.” He had to stop for a moment, trying to shake the sense of déjà vu he just had, feeling like he’d given the same report before, but kept going. “Technically speaking, we’re as ready to go as we’re going to be.”

 

He looked half over his left shoulder at the viewscreen, showing New Talax orbiting below, and sighed. Lowering his voice so it didn’t carry all across the bridge – nigh impossible with the acoustics in there and the general hush – he added “Any word on when we get to be free of this leola root flavored nightmare?”

 

==Tag Jenny==


  • 0

#4 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22102.13 @ 22:11 (10:11 PM)

Ed was glad to be leaving the land of the leola root eaters. The hospitality was great, but wondered how the crew of Voyager coped with leola root meals provided by Neelix. It had been good to unwind, even if it did mean that he had improved his proficiency with the Iotian phaser rifle and the Tommy gun, and completed all of his Away Team knick-knacks. If he needed to decapitate a corpse and present its head as proof he had the means to do it and a case which would hold most craniums. He might need to do one for Gorn-scale heads.

Ed entered the Bridge. He was surprised to see that Lieutenant Elias had pulled Bridge duty. Jenny was already there, that was less surprising. He walked round the Bridge to the Science console and settled into the chair. He was glad that Midshipman Alken had chosen to remain on the Artemis. It would be a learning experience for both of them. He’d need to get the Midshipman some time on the Bridge when the opportunity arose. He’d tried to impart some of his methods when he had been part of whatever the Reciprocity had been.

The systems were in good form, so there wasn’t wear and tear yet, and the probes had been cleaned and repatriated into the system after the survey of the asteroid field. Things had been quiet in the department, so a little movement would be welcome. Second contact could be interesting, but there wasn’t much to add. It’d be good to find somewhere to go. The question was did they follow after Voyager or head deeper into the Delta Quadrant? Voyager was the priority and it was good that they’d encountered someone who had seen which direction they’d headed.

“Science is green, Commander.”
  • 0

#5 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted Star Date 22102.16 @ 02:36 (02:36 AM)

A direct message came through for Commander Braggins from the Chief of Security's console:

 

[Coleman to Braggins, Security is ready to Charlie Mike.]


  • 0

#6 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22102.16 @ 03:40 (03:40 AM)

== Current Timeline ==

The buzz of the bridge was just enough that it might have masked the sound of the ready room's doors swishing open but it was unlikely that Tyra's arrival on the bridge, coffee thermos in hand, would be entirely missed regardless of how busy people were.

Despite a rather permanent feeling of fatigue from all of the administrative headaches of overseeing a taskforce and the building of a new colony, Tyra found herself to be in a reasonably decent mood. After all, they had finally reached a point where they could leave this current stage behind and with that, at least half of Tyra's current stress level.

Tyra offered a smile a smile to both Gregg and Elias before making her way to her seat and sitting down. She didn't even need to give Jenny much more of a glance to see that the toils of their most recent task had taken its toll but fortunately, they could move onward from paying guardians to the Talaxians.

"I've got good news for you..." she said quietly to Jenny before sitting up straight.

"I need a readiness report for each department. If you haven't already, revert staffing levels back to normal as our operation on the colony is coming to am end," she stated, clearly directing the orders to each departments current representative. She forwarded a similar request to each department not expected to be present on the bridge.

"Commander, if you can confirm that all taskforce personnel have returned to their respective assignments from the colony, we can get this show on the road. If anyone's still down there... well, I hope they really like leola root."

As she gave those orders, she sent out a readiness signal to each of the remaining taskforce vessel. She'd warned each of her COs the day before to be ready to move imminently -- as soon as she had the green light specifically--and she expected that they had heeded her suggestion.
  • 0

#7 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22102.16 @ 15:27 (03:27 PM)

Jenny nodded mutely as Elias held out the PADD, putting hers down on the armrest of the chair and giving the Engineer's report a quick once-over; everything checked out, the Scott and Jupiter had replenished the Artemis' supplies and spare parts, and had even gotten around to smartening up the Artemis' paintwork that had been smudged and scratched during the Megasphere battle that had been deemed of such low priority that the shipyard crews hadn't even touched it.

 

"If only we could somehow recrystalise Benamite, that would solve so many problems..."

 

Handing the PADD back to Elias with her signature on his to confirm it had been received and processed, Jenny nodded to Ed as he entered and rose from the chair to vacate it for the arriving Tyra. Sliding into her own seat and giving it a moment to automatically adjust to her posture, Jenny wriggled slightly to get comfortable as her sister-in-law took her own seat with apparent "good news" for her.

 

She's not pregnant again, she'd already be lamenting the lack of caffeine. We must have either got orders, or she's decided we're moving out on our own.

 

Even without immediate confirmation, the prospect of having something useful to do erased whatever vestiges of apathy and lethargy the woman had and shifted her brain into "get stuff done" mode; there were dozens of checks to be carried out before leaving orbit, from ensuring all crew were aboard to cataloguing the miscellaneous supplies that were vital to the day-to-day life of the crew but were not considered vital enough to appear on the standard Replicator menu.

 

[Coleman to Braggins, Security is ready to Charlie Mike.]

 

Jenny glanced at Tyra, head cocked and hands upward in a shrug that silently conveyed a "what the hell does that mean?" to the more experienced Security Officer. Rather than respond, Tyra could do that, Jenny went to the task she'd been assigned - chasing down the last errant members of the crew. Everyone who was coming aboard seemed to be aboard, and anyone who had transferred off had done so in the days or weeks leading up to this moment. Two new Midshipmen would be a nice addition to the crew, coming from the Jupiter and Scott, they'd be subjected to a much more varied range of activities and duties than their previous vessels - and they'd actually get out to see the stars, for once.

 

Officers sent to ships like that are often on their way out or earmarked for specialist duties, to be assigned to one as a Middy must either be a sign you're on one of those specialist tracks, or your Academy scores sucked...

 

If she remembered correctly, neither Cadet had been given any serious reprimands or below-average performance reviews, so she assumed it was the former. Having confirmed that the Artemis crew were in fact all aboard and that none of the auxiliary craft from Shuttles to Workbees were absent, Jenny forwarded the confirmation across to Tyra's terminal.

 

"Looks like we're good to go. Are we going anywhere specific, or just having a wander round the neighbourhood to stretch our legs and fly the flag?"


  • 0

#8 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22102.17 @ 21:45 (09:45 PM)

“If only we could somehow recrystallize Benamite, that would solve so many problems…” Jenny said by way of reply. He could understand the sentiment; it would be a lot easier to cover more ground if they could do it at slipstream rather than regular warp velocities. Unfortunately, it didn’t answer his question.

 

When she signed the padd and handed it back to him, though, he assumed he wouldn’t get an answer. When Tyra came out of the ready room, though, he knew he wouldn’t. He quickly went over to the engineering station as the two command officers shuffled around on the command stage and took his own seat.

 

“I need a readiness report for each department,” the captain said across the bridge to those of them up there – he and Gregg being the only two department heads there, most would have to relay this to their superiors. “If you haven’t already, revert staffing levels back to normal as our operation on the colony is coming to an end.”

 

Thank God, he thought a little uncharitably, but the relief that buoyed him from that statement was undeniable. He turned in his chair to face the center before giving his assent. “We’re clear in engineering,” he told her. “Be good for Artemis to stretch her legs, so to speak.”

 

Turning back to the console, he went over the console and got it set for standard engineering overviews; he had all of his people back on board and they’d been on standard shifts for a few days now, getting past the crazy hours they had all put in recently. Alpha shift was on, though he did show a few stragglers from Gamma and a few overachievers from Beta as being up and working on some things.

 

His last checks completed – he’d done them before he brought up his report – Benjamin was left there, waiting to see where they were headed. Wherever it is, he thought, they better have some better tasting food…


  • 0

#9 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Discord:Telsekk
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22102.20 @ 19:48 (07:48 PM)

Asil woke to the sound of his PADD indicating the time. 0500 already??  Only three of four hours had passed since he and Nathan had shared a bottle of Saragossa.  Despite the slight headache and lack of sleep, Asil always found it difficult to rest before a ship’s movement.  This rarely adversely effected his performance as he ran off this excitement for the first day.  The days to follow were more of a time of adjustment of his schedule to align with the needs of the mission.

 

With the ship making final preparations to depart New Talax, Asil made his way from quarters to mess hall for a quick breakfast and coffee.  The large room was a buzz with activity, sharply uniformed officers and enlisted crew, milled around the replicators, speculated on their mission, or prepared system readiness reports for the department heads.  Even though reports are routinely shared with the bridge prior to movement, as a new helmsman, he’d be expected to have a general ship status prior to taking his station.  This gave new arrivals a chance to familiarize themselves with the ship and meet more of the crew in an official capacity.  With nearly forty minutes before he was expected, he hustled to engineering to complete the propulsion status section of his conn report, followed by astrogation to see if there are any hazards in the projected flight path.  Completing the report with only ten minutes to spare he was now in an all out sprint to get up to the bridge. I can’t be late on my first day!!  

 

Each turbo lift seemed to be packed and not going anywhere near the bridge, mentally Asil was a little panicked, outwardly he maintained a calm demeanor. It seemed that every deck the lift stopped at dropped one off and took on two. doesn’t anyone take the stairs on this ship?  Asil thought ironically.

 

An internal sigh of relief washed over him as the turbo lift finally stopped at the bridge and the door opened.  He stepped out an noticed the bridge while not as populated, was still quite active, reports from all over the ship were coming in and acknowledged.  Asil made his way over to the helm station and checked in with the officer in the chair and after completing his turnover he turned to the center seat approaching the Captain and XO. 

 

In his most official sounding voice, “Midshipman Asil reporting, engineering systems are prepared for ships movement, Astrogation reports no significant hazards in our projected flight path.  The ship is ready to execute a course on a hyperbolic trajectory away from New Talax.”

 

==tag==


  • 0

#10 LCdr Mathew Briggs

LCdr Mathew Briggs

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 654 posts
  • Discord:9772
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22102.21 @ 00:46 (12:46 AM)

When Mathew arrived on the bridge he noted everyone was in place. 

 

Wonder where we're headed... 

 

He shrugged his shoulders and made his way to his station.  He still wasn't used to sitting in front, but was becoming better at not caring.  The positive with being in front if he made a face, no one would see.  He had learned to keep his face neutral when working with Buck, but not having to be in that line of work caused him to be out of practice.  

 

Getting settled at tactical and immediately jumped into checking on diagnostics for the ship.  Next, he sent a message to Lieutenant Mayfield, another pilot, to report to the bridge.  He wasn't going to get caught with a helm officer becoming unstable again.  

 

Looking over to the midshipman, Mathew gave a grin.  "Don't scratch the paint. The last pilot who did.. well..."  He threw a wink and then got back to running diagnostics. 

 

"Where we headed Captain," Mathew muttered.  

 


  • 1

#11 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22102.24 @ 17:15 (05:15 PM)

== Launch Day == 
 
The turbolifts doors parted, revealing an older man who looked far from his natural habitat, if not entirely uncomfortable with the environment he had now found himself within. Ed was a botanist by profession, not a stellar cartographer, and though he had to endure the broad road of scientific training to qualify as a science officer, he had always been prone to lean into his field of expertise. It had often been his mantra that had he had a choice over field work or a laboratory he would have happily thrown himself into the field. This was a step beyond the laboratory. Had Ed been offered a bridge station or the laboratory, he would have happily thrown himself into a white cloak. On a ship like the Artemis there had been sufficient science officers that outranked the man that he didn’t need to go to the bridge often. It had been at the insisting of his superiors that he get a broad experience to best serve the ship that he had been granted the veiled honour of bridge duty. 
 
His uniform was pristine, his hair scruffy but not unruly, and the stubble on his chin looked as if it had not been shaved for two days. The most obvious intrusion on the man’s usual appearance was a black brace that had wrapped itself around the leg that the Midshipman had injured days earlier. The pain from the leg had subsided, and gradually he was regaining its full use, but with every step New Ed limped forward, each step a reminder that he was on unfamiliar ground, and arriving with an appearance weaker than the Midshipman always sought to portray to those men and women who were half his age and twice his rank. 
 
Head up Ed. Don’t let them see you weak. 
 
He noted the faces of senior bridge officers present, the Captain and her first officer both situated on their thrones, perched central to the viewscreen. 
 
Don’t ask. Don’t ask. Don’t ask. 
 
The thought of either of them quizzing the current health and readiness of the officer for duty in front of his peers would have been unbearable. Officers were calling out the status updates of the ship - Artemis was strong and good to go. Ed on the other hand, whilst not unfit to sit at a console and watch sensor readings was not sure he’d have called green status across the board. 
 
Three days and this damn brace can come off my leg. 
 
He had already fought the urge to abandon it early. 
 
Old Ed - it felt weird calling him that, as they were relatively similar in age - was at the science station, leading his department. It was in passing, with a partial limp still evident, that he offered a nod to his senior officer before perching himself at the operations console. He placed himself down on the perch that allowed weight to be taken off his feet. 
 
Let’s load it up. 
 
He motioned through the console's commands, reconfiguring it to a secondary science station. Within moments, on receiving his access codes, the display burst to life with the sensor data of the Artemis, providing long range sensor sweeps of the system. It was the first occasion that he’d seen a visual display of long range sensors since he had accumulated the task forces seed analysis should it be necessary. 
 
Bridge duty. 
 
He peered away from the console and towards those around him. 
 
I guess we wait.
 
That was a quality both the laboratory and bridge shared - they both taught patience. 

  • 0

#12 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22102.26 @ 03:33 (03:33 AM)

Tyra didn't miss the look Jenny shot her as security reported in. Given that Coleman was reporting to Jenny personally, he should have known better than to use such a security dominant phrase but she remembered how hard it was to step back from the such terminology when you were elbow deep in it day in and day out. 
 
"Lima Charlie, Lieutenant," Tyra answered, her lips curled into a grin at throwing the proper terminology back at Coleman before closing the channel. She suspected she might have relegated herself to conversations full of security jargon with Coleman for the foreseeable future but then again, there were worse barrels to be staring down, like a whole conversation of tech jargon.
 
Her console chimed as medical reported in ready, causing her to look down. She had just finished typing a quick response when Jenny reported in on her task. "Looks like we're good to go. Are we going anywhere specific, or just having a wander round the neighbourhood to stretch our legs and fly the flag?"
 
Tyra was just shifting in her chair to better address Jenny's question when she noticed their newest helmsman had not only taken his place on the bridge but was approaching the center chair in a rare act of boldness for the bridge. 
 
 “Midshipman Asil reporting, engineering systems are prepared for ships movement, Astrogation reports no significant hazards in our projected flight path.  The ship is ready to execute a course on a hyperbolic trajectory away from New Talax.”
 
The redhead smiled encouragingly at the young midshipman. "Thank you for the thorough report, Midshipman. Please re-take your station and prepare to begin moving us out of orbit."
 
As everyone settled in, she thought she heard mumbling from tactical but when she glanced at Briggs, it seemed he was talking to himself. It didn't seem to be a terribly un-common practice with Briggs but it always made her wonder if he was generally disgruntled or if he was just someone who talked to himself. With a shake of her head, she pushed the thoughts from her mind and turned back to Jenny.
 
"Starfleet has provided some helpful suggestions for what they would like us to check out in the area. Personally, I think it might be wise to do an over all survey before we risk focusing too much at specific features of the region," she answered with a slight shrug.
 
"Midshipman," she said, referring to Asil, "select a rally point outside of New Talax's orbit and transmit it to the rest of the task force. We'll sort out who is going where from there," she ordered, her fingers dancing across her console as she sent a document to the chair next to her.
 
"Those are the suggestions from HQ based on the data we've sent them and the information the Talaxians have provided. Some of them are absolutely ridiculous but a few of them might have merit in checking out. We have enough vessels that we can split up, if we so choose, and it likely would benefit us to make our presence more widely known," she said to Jenny, obviously thinking out loud on what had been sent to them.

  • 0

#13 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Discord:Telsekk
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22102.26 @ 12:29 (12:29 PM)

Thank you for the thorough report, Midshipman. Please re-take your station and prepare to begin moving us out of orbit."

 

Asil sat at his station and instinctively began by familiarizing himself with the console configuration. A piece of cake once you get your bearings, he smiled and thought way back to the first time he was at the helm.  Asil had taken to piloting the Seshat like a duck to water.  In just a few weeks he could anticipate the response of the ship to commands input into the well worn consoles.  Unlike Starfleet ships, the Seshat was not pristinely maintained and upgraded, in fact many of her bridge consoles were cannibalized from vessels older than herself. The inputs were a bit more worn than a typical starship, still she handled well.  These consoles were sleek, and very responsive and required the lightest touch to activate.

 

“Midshipman,”. Asil turned his head toward the center seat. “Select a rally point outside of New Talax's orbit and transmit it to the rest of the task force.”  

 

As the Tyra spoke, Asil returned his attention to the navigating, his hands moved across the console keys slowly at first, he acknowledged the order with a smart “Aye.” Although the stars were different to him but he recognized some of the systems set in the computer.  His muscle memory took over as he plotted the course and speed to a set of pre-programmed coordinates. The ship began to bank to port away from New Talax.  An indication on his console illuminated indicating they were now at a safe distance from the gravity well to engage warp engines.  As he finished, the navigation console chirped and indicated that warp calculations were complete. 

 

“Rendezvous coordinates transmitted, the fleet is responding Captain, ready to engage at warp 6”


  • 0

#14 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.01 @ 14:37 (02:37 PM)

When the new Tactical Officer entered the Bridge, Jenny couldn't help but sniff - he smelled almost overpoweringly of shower gel and shampoo, as though he'd showered immediately before rushing to the Bridge to report for duty. Though she'd read the young man's personnel record, she'd not encountered him yet, and only really had Captain Khumalo's evaluations to go on - not that she'd trust the reactionary old bastard's opinion if it was vital to her own survival. She shared some of his questions, though; what was an Argelian doing in a violent profession such as the Tactical department? They weren't all that common in Star Fleet to begin with, but those that were often found themselves in the sciences - usually driven by a love of research and other pursuits that appealed to the Argelian's hedonistic way of life.

 

Obviously this Asil was different.

 

Still, at least he was eager; immediately taking his station and plotting a course away from New Talax before jumping to the task he had been set by Tyra. Jenny couldn't help but feel a spark of envy as the young man guided the ship out of orbit and laid in the course to the rendezvous coordinates with the remaining ships in the Task Force, but she'd known when she accepted the First Officer position back on the Gettysburg that her time at the helm was going to be limited at best. Such was the price of continuing progression up the seniority tree.

 

"Those are the suggestions from HQ based on the data we've sent them and the information the Talaxians have provided. Some of them are absolutely ridiculous but a few of them might have merit in checking out. We have enough vessels that we can split up, if we so choose, and it likely would benefit us to make our presence more widely known."

 

Jenny glanced down at the document and raised an eyebrow; some of the suggestions were, as Tyra said, fairly ridiculous. Others seemed pretty interesting; either new races to meet or planets rich in minerals to explore. 

 

"Splitting up would definitely allow us to fly the flag more effectively, but with the Kazon and God knows who else out here, we should probably have ships within mutual-support range to begin with if possible. On the other hand, it might be an idea to keep the Phlox, Scott and Jupiter near New Talax since it's a centralised location that they can respond from if needed. Having them out there with us would allow us to cover ground faster, but they'd be sitting ducks if the Kazon decided they were worth raiding."


  • 0

#15 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.04 @ 03:08 (03:08 AM)

During the time it had taken them to build up the New Talax colony, there had been numerous hypothetical conversations about how to best utilize the task force's resources and whether it would be better to keep a strong centralized force, which could potentially be seen as a little bit like a conquering force to any new faces encountered, or divide and conquer with the awareness that not all vessels in the task force were as capable of defending themselves as others. If she was honest, she hadn't come to a solid conclusion but it seemed waiting further wasn't an option.
 
"I think they're likely sitting ducks regardless of where they are. If we sit them at New Talax's door step, maybe they deter the Kazon from visiting the Talaxians or maybe, it tempts the Talaxians to take a run at our smaller vessels while the big kids are distracted elsewhere," Tyra mused, her blue eyes on the console between their chairs as she considered the options before them. 
 
"Helm, give the fleet the go ahead to begin moving us to the rendezvous point. We'll have this sorted before we arrive," she called out before returning back to the considerations at hand. Even if the support vessels had to backtrack slightly, it would be better than the whole task force sitting in New Talax's orbit.
 
"But I think you're right. It's not efficient if we're all babysitting a charge while trying to poke around," the redhead stated rather finally. "We'll have the Jupiter, Scott and Phlox remain near New Talax."
 
She hesitated a moment as she considered the ships remaining. If she trusted any CO to act in her stead as task force commander should something happen near New Talax, it was Aitrus but the Luna wasn't her ideal choice to act as the first line of defense for the three sitting ducks under her car. No, in fact, the Luna was a better fit for roaming about in a fit of exploration, which Aitrus would likely appreciate more than babysitting duties. And if she was comparing Nike and Freyja, she frankly trusted Edwin's experience more than Dal's. The scientist in Dal would likely cause him to get so wrapped up in exploration that he'd completely miss an SOS from the other vessels, where as Edwin was a little more alert and on edge.
 
"We'll assign Freyja to investigate this interest," she said, pointing to a set of coordinates that were close enough to New Talax to allow a fairly quick response. "They should be able to get back to the others before the Kazon could do much damage."
 
"From there, that leaves Luna and Nike plus us to "fly the flag" as you put it. I don't think we should venture past about here," she said, motioning to a point on the map that was still within response range of New Talax if they absolutely pushed it. "We'll handle being the furthest vessel -- I think we're likely the best suited to hold our own in a fight if needed."
 
"I'll inform Jupiter, Scott and Phlox of their positions and tell Khumalo to pick a strategically advantageous staging point in the area. I'll also inform Freyja of their babysitting duties. If you can provide Luna and Nike with their options to explore, along with the caveat that they need to be within range to respond to either New Talax or us at the other end, that should get us moving faster. Oh, and I will leave choosing our destination in your capable hands -- I suspect I will have my hands full with one of the Edwins. It's truly a toss up on which one wants to be the pain in my *** today..." she mumbled the last part before shrugging slightly. 
 
You shouldn't complain... you could have a far worse set of COs under your command. If Edwin 1 wants to grumble about his babysitting duties or Edwin 2 wants to grumble about being told to stand by, well... it is still preferable to some of the prima donas you had to oversee during The Battle, she mentally reminded herself.

  • 0

#16 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.04 @ 16:44 (04:44 PM)

That should do it. 
 
Ed sighed with a sense of success at restraining the operations console's efforts to force him constantly back to its defunct operations interface. It would have provided the Midshipman a wonderful account of the ship’s communications abilities, its transporter status and a broad collection of data from within the Artemis hull. What Edward had wanted, and persistently had tried to access was the science configuration which would have forced that information to retreat deep into the bowls of the starships software, and provided easy access to a broad set of sensor suites focused this time on everything beyond the explorers hull. 
 
It should have been a simplistic task at best, the mere selection of a configuration setting, but the botanist wasn’t a seasoned bridge officer. He wasn’t for that matter an unseasoned one either. He had qualified with the bare minimum and thrown himself back into his field work. Real science as he had once snobbily suggested to his lecturers at the Academy. Had his department head been watching over his shoulder he would have been affronted by the awkward route that travelled across the ship’s digital world to simply access the sensors. 
 
He gently pressed his thumb against the touch screen, specifically against a map that had been small but influential within the corner of the display. On its selection it magnified to prominence, consuming almost the entirety of the console's display. 
 
Within was a grid denoting systems; and within each system - planetary bodies, moons, asteroids, stations that were of note. The botanist recognised some of the names from his brief reporting summarizing potential locations for agricultural production should the taskforce find itself in need of a long term sustainable food source. The need for that work with the technological capabilities of the fleet felt superfluous, but some bureaucrat had ordered it so. 
 
This was more than a mere map however, it was living and breathing, information flowing through in the seconds that he watched his display. To his amazement he wasn’t just witnessing the sensor data of the Artemis, but a combination of the sensor data of the taskforce combined. Their sensor suites were informing the decision making onboard the taskforce flagship. 
 
Ed’s eyes followed apparent civilian traffic, mere moving dots in the far distance, each attached to colour coded tactical threat assessments as the information had travelled through the tactical console. Had Kazon ships been identified on long range sensors Ed imagined the sensor suite would have recognised the familiar silhouettes and tagged them red. 
 
Next to the Artemis was the only colony the taskforce had engaged with, New Talax, and around it the signatures of a familiar set of Starfleet vessels, denoted blue. Displayed together it painted a sense of unity and strength as if the group of Starfleet vessels had huddled together for warmth in the depths of space. Some were in a holding pattern, others had begun to receive instruction from the task force’s senior Captain and were moving gradually to execute orders. 
The bundle of ships were soon, if Crawford’s conversation with the tactical officer were to be overheard, disseminating across the system. Ed wondered how that would have affected the sensor data. Would the task joint sensor feed encounter delays and disruption? Or would an information overload force tremendous amounts of information into the system?
 
Say what you will about the bridge. It definitely presents an interesting perspective on what’s out there. A bird’s eye view of the frontiers. 

  • 1

#17 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.07 @ 15:16 (03:16 PM)

Ed noticed Alken arrive with a few other officers. He hadn’t requested his presence, but it’d save time if he got called into a meeting. It would also give him an opportunity to give the Midshipman a primer on what Science officers did on the Bridge. The true litmus test would be seeing how he coped with repeated sensor scans. The dull stuff was the bread and butter of getting things done, mission wise.

Remember kids, science can be boring.

There would be fun stuff, occasionally. That of course depended on what the individual considered fun. Tricking a pair of Kazon was fun, but less of a stretch than Ed had expected. He was rather concerned about Alken’s leg. Limping that badly would be a hindrance if things got exciting. He couldn’t do anything about it until Alken’s shift was over, but he’d consider sending the young officer to Sickbay soon as. You didn’t thole an injury like that. The leg had been braced properly. Also somebody should have given him a hypo for the pain.

The young officer at least seemed to know how to repurpose a vacant console. Ed mirrored Alken’s efforts to a small window in his screen. He appeared to be cycling through the information being relayed from the sensors and picking up on stuff that Ed would have left for someone else in the department to look at. It was good to have a botanist to pad out the range of experience in the department. He dabbled more in physics and liked to get creative with the probes.

Ed’s thoughts went back to the brace. There were a myriad of ways to get such an injury, but it was good that the young officer appeared to be socialising with the crew in his off time. His own efforts were meagre. The only time he’d had anything that approached a conversation with the Captain was just before he joined the Gettysburg. He recalled that certain individuals had been garnered with the nickname of Shadow or Ghost. Of course being noticed didn’t bode well as he’d managed to nearly get the Getty blown up by being unfortunately honest with a Klingon General.

Ed wondered if he’d be able to overcome his quirks and flaws. The expedition fleet was spreading out to better cover the area. A lot of what was out there was unknown. There’d be enough to occupy himself and Alken once the Artemis got to the next destination. There was a wish list of things to do from Star Fleet, so it was the Captains prerogative pick out what was next. Almost anything that didn’t involve Leola Root would be fine.
  • 0

#18 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22103.08 @ 14:07 (02:07 PM)

==One week later==

 

A week out from New Talax at a rather sedate Warp 6 to allow for cursory sensor sweeps of nearby systems as they passed, the Artemis and her crew were doing well. The replacements were learning their duties, those newly-promoted were settling into their new roles, and those in charge would have an overall feeling of contentment with the way the crew were performing and the way the ship was being handled. The last communication with the rest of the Task Force indicated that the Luna was tracking down a possible lead to the slipstream disruption that had thrown them at New Talax, while another vessel was investigating the ruins of a long-dead civilisation that predated anything Voyager had come across.

 

The Artemis was on course to reach its destination, a world believed to have fought off the Borg using nothing but their genetic engineering skills, within the next few days. Voyager had encountered a similar situation during her journey; Janeway's logs had been scathing, indicating the colonists had used their children as sacrificial lambs to deliver bioweapons to The Collective. This colony, on the other hand, appeared to have found a way to introduce viruses without requiring assimilation - which made them a priority contact when it came to hunting down the Borg Contingency.

 

As the ship passed the outer edges of an uninhabited and unremarkable system, the sensors picked up a brief distortion ahead of the ship that was gone before it had really registered. At first, the sensors' own troubleshooting subroutines wrote it off as a glitch, but then it reappeared inside the Artemis' warp bubble and the ship suddenly heaved. Emergency systems kicked in, sealing off the hull breach and unceremoniously dumping the Artemis out of warp with a lot of shaking as the ship began to drift.

 

Damage and casualty reports began to flood in from the affected area of the ship; bumps and bruises mostly, and radiation spikes along the leading edge of the secondary hull. More serious were the damage to the subspace transmitter, which was offline, and the Deflector Dish, which was no longer registering on the engineering systems.


  • 0

#19 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.09 @ 02:21 (02:21 AM)

There was little denying that most security officers, particularly those of the older generation, were a superstition bunch. Maybe it was because they came up in a time when sheer survival was viewed as good luck and anything that might have brought that luck was worth repeating. Or, maybe, it was rooted in the traditions and customs that had been passed down from the by-gone eras of localized law enforcement. Truthfully, the reason for the superstition didn't matter, not as long as it continued to carry weight among the troops. 
 
Tyra, herself, was no exception, having developed her rituals over puddles of blood, sweat and tears.. Her weapons were readied the same way each time. Her gear was put on in the same order every time without exception. She touched the same spot on Valkyrie before any string of fire, whether training or combat. Her boots, no matter how many times they were replaced, always had the same thing written on the inside of the tongue. And she never, never said the "q-word".
 
But clearly, someone hadn't been taught not to use the "q-word". It was probably some foolish midshipman in a department that didn't ingrain a terrifyingly healthy respect for Fate into each of its recruits... but that was the only explanation Tyra would be able to concoct later for why her poor, poor ship found itself in the terrible position it quiet literally dropped into. Some nurse or scientist or maybe engineer had probably remarked to their roommate that things had been.... quiet... and well, it had set the wheels of Fate into motion without even a sliver of comprehension for what they had done. 
 
In the moment leading up to someone dropping the Artemis' tire into a proverbial pothole, Tyra had been sitting in her command chair with her coffee in one hand and a PADD in the other. Despite how slow the last week had been in interesting developments, the redhead had been making a point to more evenly split her time between the bridge and her office. This was to both give Jenny time to disappear to her own office but also because it gave her exposure to the junior officers that typically manned the bridge during transit. It allowed them to become more comfortable with the command staff and allowed her to gauge the upcoming class of officers, which wasn't always a good thing. 
 
There was a very likely chance that what happened next would create another superstition regarding wearing the harness at all times but alas, as was more comfortable with smooth transit, Tyra wasn't restrained and neither was her coffee. When the ship heaved unexpectedly, Tyra was nearly bucked out of her chair, likely only remaining in place because instinct had caused her to release her PADD and grasp the armrest. She had no idea where her PADD went as the ship shuddered its way out of warp with all the grace of an epileptic bull but she was all too aware of where her coffee went as she found herself using the sleeve of her uniform to wipe it off of her face. 
 
"Status!" she called out, her tone rough as if she was trying to keep from laying hands on the person responsible for dropping her ship out of a high speed mode for the second time. With another angry swipe at her face, she managed to get most of the brown liquid off of her face, though it was still in her hair and on her uniform.
 
"What the Hell just happened? Who broke my damn ship?" She let out with all the frustration coursing through her veins but just as quick as it erupted, it was back under control with nothing more than a deep breath. 
 
"Helm, stabilize us. Tactical, scan for hostiles. Science, scan the area for... anything. We need to know why we're at a complete stop NOW."

  • 0

#20 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.09 @ 03:15 (03:15 AM)

Within a couple of moments of Tyra issuing her orders, the overhead came to life. [Elias to Bridge. We have a hull breach and radiation spikes, and I have no contact with the deflector. Still assessing the situation, will update as we know more. Recommend all stop for the moment until we can figure out if we even have a deflector dish.]

 

==Please don't shoot the messenger!==


  • 0

#21 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Discord:Telsekk
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22103.09 @ 13:43 (01:43 PM)

For a week Asil spent his shifts at helm, guiding the course of the ship from system to system.  Everyone seemed to settle into their routine as they surveyed and catalogued star systems.  On the morning of the sixth day they altered course.

 

Hands moved with purpose across the console making minor adjustments toward the Brunalli planetary system.  The mission dossier was required reading prior to taking stations   Asil was fascinated that the Brunalli had fought several Borg incursions into their space. Armed with their extensive knowledge of genetic manipulation, they successfully repelled the Borg with tools meant to grow food on their relatively barren world. On his off time, Asil spent looking over their data, trying to make sense of some of it, but advanced biology was not his strong suit.  He looked forward to seeing what new tricks they’d be willing to share in trade

 

His eyes scanned the monitors displayed sensor data collected from the forward and lateral sensors.  Correlated and fed to the bridge in a continuous stream of data regarding stars and basic planet compositions.  The bridge crew were settling into the shift when the ship rocked violently. Asil was nearly forward over the helm as the inertial dampeners reacted to the sudden deceleration.  

 

The ship lurched and rocked again as the frames of the ship seemed to whine as the warp field collapsed and the ship shuddered to a halt. Asil fortified his guts as the bridge lights went red as the Captain called for a status.  He disengaged the warp engines and attempted to secure his station get to gather data on their situation.  The console flickered a few times and went dark as aftershocks reverberating through the ship. 

 

“Warp engines are offline, impulse engine and thrusters are not responding”Asil sounded off as he tried restoring power to the helm. 

 

Emergency power restored the console display, the readout was slow to display any relevant data. “Sensors are having trouble making heads or tails of what we hit”

 

==GM INPUT:  Request clarification on what sensors recorded prior to the “collision”?  Also are we adrift or being held in place?


  • 0

#22 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.09 @ 19:06 (07:06 PM)

The turbolift moved through the ship with a gentle and almost soothing hum, just loud enough to be noticeable as Jenny looked at the PADD she had been working on - the new shift supervisors appeared to be working out nicely, and the replacement crew for the most part had taken to their new home and new duties with gusto. It was a far cry from the Star Fleet she'd known when she was in their position, where you had to survive six months before anyone bothered to learn your name; but that was a good thing. The Borg were a resurgent threat, but aside from Cardassian sabre-rattling, the Alpha and Beta Quadrants appeared to be at peace.

 

The Artemis, sadly, was not destined to share that peace as the doors opened right as the ship jerked violently like a scalded hand, pitching her out of the turbolift, clipping her shoulder on the bulkhead as she went down. The shaking lasted for only a moment, and Jenny staggered over to the Helm console massaging her bruised shoulder with a mumbled 'what did you do?' in Asil's direction even as a beverage-soaked Tyra was calling orders from her chair.

 

[Elias to Bridge. We have a hull breach and radiation spikes, and I have no contact with the deflector. Still assessing the situation, will update as we know more. Recommend all stop for the moment until we can figure out if we even have a deflector dish.]

 

Elias' report was worrisome, a radiation leak was bad enough but losing the deflector was catastrophic. The secondary deflector wasn't rated for high speed or long durations, and the delicate systems weren't the easiest to repair.

 

“Warp engines are offline, impulse engine and thrusters are not responding. Sensors are having trouble making heads or tails of what we hit.”
 
For someone who had nearly been hurled over his console by the sudden deceleration, Asil was remarkably calm, which was a credit to his own personality and his likelihood of surviving more than ten seconds in a combat scenario. Rotating her now-aching shoulder and feeling the joint pop back into place with a twinge of pain, Jenny leaned over the young man's shoulder.
 
"Bring up the navigation sensor logs, let's see if there's anything there that might give us a clue."

  • 0

#23 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.09 @ 23:46 (11:46 PM)

The week had been about as straight forward as things were apparently going to be for a while. The Borg Contingency had been headed for the Delta Quadrant, so research into how the locals coped with them was on the list. Some methods had been rather disturbing, but the same colony was rumoured to have cooked up something new and less sacrificial. The Artemis was skirting some footnote system when something appeared inside the warp bubble. Things got bumpy and alarmy.

What the actual ****!?

Ed got knocked about a bit, but was glad that the Science Console was safely secured in the corner. Bumped and most definitely bruised he wondered how he got into these situations. This was about the third time he’d been on a ship that had ‘crashed’. It was also the second time that he’d been on a ship immobilised by something appearing inside the warp bubble. That one probably didn’t count, yet. The reports that came in were far from encouraging. He’d done the anti-radiation meds routine and wasn’t looking forward to a repeat.

There was a moment of dread when he realised that Tyra had been holding her coffee when the Artemis hit whatever it was. Somebody was going to suffer badly. It helped that she was prompt in issuing orders. Dwelling too long on what had just happened was a distraction the crew didn’t need. Ed set the sensors to scanning the surrounding area to see where they’d ‘stopped’. Something had to have caused the disturbance. Natural or otherwise it had certainly done damage. He fervently wished that this wasn’t the shape of things to come. He’d been there too often in his experience.

== GM input request, what do the sensors show of the surrounding area? ==

Edited by Cdr Edward Gregg, Star Date 22103.09 @ 23:48 (11:48 PM).

  • 0

#24 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.11 @ 10:35 (10:35 AM)

A week in transit had felt like an eternity in a bridge simulator. 
 
The brace that had arrested Alken’s leg had been removed as the patience with his leg’s healing had been rewarded. Though he was free, the weight now on his leg felt unpracticed, but it wasn’t uncomfortable and limiting movement anymore. The peace treaty with Nurse Sanderson had also endured the last fortnight, and their quarters were at relative peace. 
 
After two days on the bridge Ed had started to feel withdrawal symptoms from multi purpose laboratory three. The adornment of a lab coat, the smell of the decontamination protocols, the peace and quiet of seclusion deep within the science complex. The bridge offered little peace and quiet, and at best Ed had always been a reluctant bridge officer. These few days had been spent on the bridge, and to the disbelief of the middle aged man, had made him fond of the laboratory in comparison. 
 
Whilst life of the bridge had been uneventful - assessments of potential points of scientific interest across the system had been part and parcel of his work - it had felt like an academy reintroduction into the practices of a bridge officer. He had managed now to find his way through the science station, not gracefully or elegantly, but to the extent he was having flashbacks of life in Academy simulators. The insincerity of the simulations was that someone somewhere was prone to throw a disaster into the programme in an effort to teach a valuable lesson. 
 
Ed had been assessing a potential asteroid field on the fringes of the long range scanners from a commandeered operations station when it happened. 
 
The ship shuddered violently, and bracing himself against the console was all the man could do to keep himself steady. The lighting of the bridge changed to reflect an alert.
 
I guess someone somewhere has decided to throw a disaster into the simulator. 
 
Ed could hear the Captain and others reporting on the situation.
 
Knowing that Commander Gregg would throw himself through the external sensors, Edward decided it was best to focus on the other direction, hull breaches meant that whatever they had struck - if they had struck anything at all - might have been lodged within the hull itself. 
 
He accessed the internal sensors, trying to make sense of what was happening within the ship. 
 
== GM input request - oh great someone somewhere who has decided to throw a disaster into the simulator to teach us things - what do the internal sensors show? ==

  • 0

#25 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22103.11 @ 14:54 (02:54 PM)

==Asil==

 

The Artemis was adrift, engines offline due to the emergency breakers tripping and preventing them suffering any damage during the emergency deceleration. They would have to be reactivated by Engineering following a diagnostic to ensure they were still safe to engage.

 

The sensors didn't get a clear look at the object before it seemed to phase out of and then back into existence, but they detected trace amounts of an unknown metallic compound and a faint power signature.

 

==Gregg==

 

Long-range sensors were blinded by a sudden burst of neutron radiation that seemed to be blocking the long-range arrays. Short range sensors were still clear, however, and showed an uninhabited system of no more than five planets surrounding a dying star. None of the planets had anything worth investigating, but they could use the data collected from the system to correlate their position when compared to the star charts provided by the Talaxians.

 

==Alken==

 

Neutron Radiation was permeating the forward areas of Decks 15 and 16, around the deflector dish and its control room. Internal forcefields were in place and preventing it from spreading further into the ship.

 

An additional anomaly, not unlike the one Asil had spotted just before the accident, was beginning to register on Deck 18, by the Antimatter Storage Pods.


  • 0

#26 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.11 @ 16:14 (04:14 PM)

Alken analysed the display. 
 
“Damage…” 
 
He had felt his mouth dry and coarse. 
 
Manning an operations station on a starship bridge mid-emergency was a new experience for the middle aged man who had plenty of life experience under his belt. At least new outside of the simulator.
 
Ed cleared his throat. 
 
“Damage to Decks 15 and 16.”
 
With the man's focus on the ship's internal sensors, the touch display at his fingertips reflected more of an operations console than a science. The computer had presented a floor plan of the saucer section of the Artemis, and was soon being flooded with data and early damage reports. 
 
“Internal forcefields have sealed the forward saucer sections of both those decks… Aft torpedo launchers and storage on 15 are currently unaffected, still confirming the status of the cargo bays spread across both decks.”
 
He tried not to sound concerned with the next report. 
 
“Deflector dish, and its control room are…” 
 
He paused, recognising the highlighted alert status over those specific compartments, and the foreword compartments in saucer sections across the affected decks.
 
“We’ve got Neutron Radiation spikes climbing rapidly. Currently contained by internal forcefields.” 
 
He had not yet drawn his eyes to meet those he was speaking to. Ed was captured by a fear of the direness of the status report, and wasn’t sure he wanted the others to see it in his eyes.
 
It was then that he noticed the anomaly. 
 
“Detecting an anomaly on Deck 18… in the vicinity of the antimatter storage pod.” 
 
He now forced his eyes towards the others. A disabled deflector dish was a major issue but the antimatter storage pods had the potential to blow the Artemis into millions of pieces. 

  • 0

#27 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.13 @ 19:59 (07:59 PM)

The system and sensor reports were educational. Short range sensors were fine, but long range was currently banjaxed. What short range could make out of their current surroundings was a nearby solar system on its last legs. Five planets remaining and their sun was dying. The system must have been long abandoned because it was lacking in anything of interest. Either the state of the star had been prohibitive to colonisation or the planets that had been colonised had been consumed by the star.

“Captain, long range sensors are inoperable due to the neutron radiation, but short range sensors have detected a nearby solar system with five planets and a dying star. The star could be the source of the neutron radiation.”

Ed wondered about assigning Alken to verify their location based on the charts they’d received from the Talaxians. There’d be other stuff to do. He ran a string of commands through the Computer. First to classify the state of the star based on size and colour. He didn’t want to be around when it went nova. Second was to query with their location with the Talaxian star charts. Third was probably something he should have known, but how much neutron radiation did a dying star output?

Best option would be to get thrusters operational and leave. The neutron radiation must have an effect on the warp drive. According to Alken there was an anomaly in the antimatter storage pods. To call the situation precarious was an understatement. The cause for concern was two fold between the neutron radiation and the nature of the anomaly in antimatter storage. Ed didn’t have enough mental capacity to accurately recall all subspace phenomena. Something had impeded the warp drive and it threatened to turn the Artemis into a debris field.

== GM input request, is the star a red giant, how much neutron radiation to does a dying star output, and are we able to correlate our position from the Talaxian star charts? ==
  • 0

#28 LCdr Mathew Briggs

LCdr Mathew Briggs

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 654 posts
  • Discord:9772
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.13 @ 20:02 (08:02 PM)

Another week…  reports to file, pilots to evaluate…   At least we’re back on the move.  Where to.. I thought I’d like this…    Heading to…  We could have died on that sphere.  How we didn’t, I’ll never know. So let’s go find … 

 

“****!”

 

Caught off guard from the sudden stop of the ship, Mathew whiplashed towards his console. His hands managed to stop his face from planting into the console, but the sudden jerk would be felt after the surge of adrenaline faded. 

 

What the **** was… 

 

Mathew sat upright and began running scans to look for a culprit just as the captain gave orders.

 

“Scanning now sir,” Mathew said curtly as Elias’ voice was heard.

 

Hull breach. Radiation. No deflector?  Warp engines.. Impulse engines. Thrusters.  Well what the serious..

 

Mathew nodded in agreement to the pilot looking through navigation sensor logs as his fingers ran over his console looking for any other power signatures that could be lurking near the ship.  

 

We’re sitting ducks… 

 

Mathew ran diagnostics of the ship’s shields, while starting to investigate for anything that could be a threat to the ship.

 

== GM input: status of shields and are there any power signatures approaching or orbiting the ship?

 


  • 0

#29 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.14 @ 02:42 (02:42 AM)

As everyone began to jump to find answers for her, Tyra was left with a moment to consider exactly why they had come to a complete stop out of warp. While not an engineer and unlikely to be able to pin point exactly what sort of damage or system malfunction would be needed to bring them to this result, she was an experienced strategist and tactician, capable of creating and assessing numerous scenarios in rapid succession. By her estimations, the most likely scenarios were 1) they had hit something, 2) something had hit them or 3) they had fallen victim to an internal malfunction. Given the newness of the Artemis and the issue they'd already experienced in slipstream, she was guessing the third option was more likely, especially considering the probability of something hitting them while at warp was very low.
 
[Elias to Bridge. We have a hull breach and radiation spikes, and I have no contact with the deflector. Still assessing the situation, will update as we know more. Recommend all stop for the moment until we can figure out if we even have a deflector dish.]
 
There really wasn't much to say to that or, at least, nothing useful. Besides, Elias was likely up to his armpits in chaos and wouldn't miss whatever sarcastic remark came flying out of her mouth. Instead, she merely signaled that the message was received and left it at that, deciding her Chief Engineer didn't need her piling her frustration onto him.
 
“Warp engines are offline, impulse engine and thrusters are not responding," the young helmsman reported before adding that sensors were not having much luck making sense of things. From his statement, it seemed he believed that they had hit something but given the safeties in place, that seemed highly improbable. Fortunately, Jenny had arrived and had moved to assist Asil in making heads or tails of the situation.
 
Alken's following report was less than promising. The news about the torpedoes tubes was a small blessing as, depending on where they were dead in the water at, they might very well come in handy if they needed to fight off any predatory attackers. However, the way he fell short of reporting the status of the deflector dish and its controls left much to be desired. In fact, she couldn't help the eyebrow raise she shot in his direction as if to say "are what?" but the young man had moved on to what could be the most troubling news of the set -- radiation spikes and not a radiation she was familiar with. But no... it seemed Alken needed to one up the radiation with even more troubling news.
 
“Detecting an anomaly on Deck 18… in the vicinity of the antimatter storage pod.” 
 
For someone that had fought the Satarrans, anomalies meant intruders and intruders meant war but it took a great deal of self control for Tyra to push that immediate leap into paranoia down. However, it didn't stop her from adding Possibility 3.1: Internal issue due to sabotage to her potential explanations list. However, she also understood that the anomaly could be caused by a malfunction, suggesting there was damage threatening the stability of the pods, or it could be something as simple to explain as distortion caused by radiation.
 
"Crawford to Security. I need an immediate evacuation of Deck 18 to be conducted, beginning near the antimatter storage pods. All non-emergency personnel need to be removed from the area. Be prepared for possible radiation exposure. I am going to request that engineering send personnel to inspect the antimatter pods so allow them to complete their survey." She left that channel open even as she opened up the one directly to Elias.
 
"Crawford to Elias. I'm not sure what safeguards or scans y'all have access to but we're detecting anomalous readings near the antimatter storage pods on Deck 18. I've ordered security to begin evacuating the deck but I need you to send someone to evaluate the issue. There might be radiation in the area..." she hesitated for a moment before continuing, "and please, have whoever you send acquire a security escort just in case the issue isn't... mechanical in nature."
 
With that done, her blue eyes shifted back to Alken. "The radiation. Is it possible that a large spike in it could cause sensor distortions or an anomaly like you're seeing?"
 
As she asked that, grimaced once more as she realized that she had yet another call to make related to the radiation. "Crawford to Sickbay. We are experiencing neutron radiation spikes across the ship --they are currently being contained by force fields but we likely will begin seeing leakage if this continues. Please begin preparing radiation treatments and see if we have any information regarding neutron radiation exposure."
 
“Captain, long range sensors are inoperable due to the neutron radiation, but short range sensors have detected a nearby solar system with five planets and a dying star. The star could be the source of the neutron radiation," Gregg reported as she muted the channel to Sickbay. 
 
"What info do we have on this type of radiation? Is it capable of penetrating shields?" she asked before quickly adding to her questions, though aiming it at a different target this time. 
 
"And while I'm asking hard questions, Briggs, I need you to cross reference our current location against what we know of the region. We need to know who we are likely to run into -- well, more like run into us as we can't run anywhere. I'd really like you to tell me that we're sitting in a nice neutral part of the quadrant, not say the heartland of Kazon space."
 
== Tag... well, I think I pretty much hit everyone there...==

  • 0

#30 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.14 @ 22:25 (10:25 PM)

[Sickbay to Bridge. Understood Captain, we’ll set up isolation and decontamination chambers down here.]


  • 0

#31 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.15 @ 02:01 (02:01 AM)

[Coleman to Crawford. Acknowledged. Security is en route to provide Damage Control and Evac assistance]


  • 0

#32 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.15 @ 13:16 (01:16 PM)

From her position above and behind young Asil, Jenny could see the results for the helmsman as they came in on the display as a response to his requests. At first she was puzzled by what initially seemed to be a sensor glitch, followed by a sudden and catastrophic failure of the deflector dish. As the logs replayed, puzzlement turned to concern as the presence of a metallic alloy and a power source were revealed - in trace amounts only, but that was enough to set alarm bells ringing.

 

Whatever hit us was there, then it wasn't, then it was there again... A cloaked object would have been annihilated by the deflector, but if it was out of phase...

 

Jenny hoped she was wrong, but if they had struck a mine equipped with a phase-shifting device that had allowed it to pass through the protective bow-wave of the deflector before detonating, that meant that the "anomaly" in Antimatter Storage was likely its twin, which meant they were in big trouble. If her theory was correct, the second mind was likely armed for some reason had failed to detonate.

 

And Elias and a Security Team are about to go barging in like bulls in a china shop...

 

"Braggins to Elias, hold position. Do not enter Antimatter Storage."

 

It was a gut call, one she would answer for if she was wrong, but one that could save the entire crew if she was right. Returning to her own console, Jenny called up a copy of Asil's sensor records and passed them on to Alken at Ops.

 

"Alken, does your 'anomaly' match these readings?"


  • 0

#33 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.16 @ 02:29 (02:29 AM)

After a few moments worth of silence, the speakers came back to life with Benjamin's voice. [Sorry, but what? We’ve got a radiation leak in there, and if we don’t get it figured out, or if God forbid something like what happened to the deflector is happening in there now, I don’t need to remind you that we won’t be here anymore.]

 

==Tag Jenny==


  • 0

#34 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.16 @ 18:30 (06:30 PM)

 
Alken felt himself almost jump to attention as the XO ordered him to compare the scans - Commander Braggin’s attention on the man had made him feel uneasy. The role of an XO was to enforce the Captain’s rule, and Ed had done his best to avoid this woman whilst onboard. Thankfully for him, it was Gregg’s role to liaise with the Command Department. 
 
The console now presented the Midshipman with two parallel sensor configurations. The first half included the live data of antimatter storage pods, registering both the radiation spikes and an anomaly within. Consequently this display was sporadic and living - the sensor readings were constantly changing to reflect changes onboard. So well tuned were the internal sensors that Edward could identify the team now outside the antimatter storage pods, and thanks to their commbadges, attribute those life signs of specific crewmembers. It was a small huddle of security and engineering personnel. 
 
The second half was frozen in time, no new data being gathered. That was because this second data set was historical in nature. Not centuries old, not even hours, but only a few minutes. The other distinction was that this sensor data was external, different to the internal feed that Edward was currently monitoring. It included a vast amount of navigational data. There too was an anomaly, piercing the deflector dish which had been active during the starship's warp travel. 
 
Edward zoomed both feeds - trying to compare anomalies. 
 
This wasn’t his field of scientific expertise, but it was a familiar game of snap. All the XO had asked was whether they were the same. For that he only needed to answer one question. Would they share identical characteristics?
 
“Running a comparison matrix on both readings now.”
 
The computer would pinpoint with accuracy any obvious similarities. 
 
He focused on the data whilst awaiting results from the comparison matrix. Often in the laboratory he had found that the study of plants was best done by the human eye.
 
== GM Input - Are the anomalies identical? If not, do they share any similarities? ALSO - Has Edward noticed anything new about the anomalies between the computers analysis and his own brief examination? == 

  • 0

#35 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22103.16 @ 18:48 (06:48 PM)

==Alken==

 

The anomalies were similar but not identical; the internal anomaly matched the external one when it had first been detected, but not when it had reappeared. Though there were no power signatures or traces of the unknown alloys, it stood to reason that if the similarities before collision were there, there would be similarities afterwards as well. They just hadn't technically "collided" with the second anomaly, yet.

 

==Briggs==

 

Shields were now raised thanks to the automatic Red Alert caused by the collision. Weapons were also online, though the forward targeting sensors were hazy thanks to the cloud of Neutron Radiation that bathed the secondary hull.

 

There were no ships in the immediate area.

 

==Gregg==

 

The star was not a Red Giant, nor was it putting out any measurable Neutron Radiation; that phenomenon was purely localised. The system was on the Talaxian star chart, with a note that it had been populated millenia prior but that the civilisation was long gone.

 

Of note was a star system only a day or so away at low warp, where the Talaxians had marked a repair and resupply station that the roaming Talaxian convoys used when they needed emergency maintenance.

 

Fortunately, that low-warp travel was going to be fairly safe since the charts marked the territory as being unclaimed by any major power, including the Kazon.


  • 0

#36 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.19 @ 13:46 (01:46 PM)

Ed wished he knew why it was always good news bad news. The star wasn’t outputting neutron radiation the cause was closer to hand. The star wasn’t a red giant, but it was still dying. The system had been inhabited a millennia ago and there was a Talaxian repair and resupply station a day’s travel maybe more at low warp. Something about the system had kept the major hitters in the quadrant from taking an interest. That bothered him a lot.

“Captain, the source of the neutron radiation is somewhere in our immediate vicinity. According to the Talaxian star charts nobody has been here in a millennia. If we can make low warp there’s a repair and resupply station a day or so from our current location.”

There were options, but not solutions. Something was out there. It was over a millennia old and it was still active. An ancient weapon was the second worse thing they could have run into. Why was it there? Ed considered the probes. He could look , but the trick would be not triggering another of whatever was out there. Elias was intent on playing chicken with the anomaly in antimatter storage. Jenny was dead against him tampering with something that could blow up.

There were times that Ed loathed quantum physics. Life or death situations were one area he really despised. The anomaly in antimatter storage was like Schrodinger’s Cat. If Elias did something, maybe boom. If Elias left it alone as Jenny had requested, also maybe boom. Like the cat you wouldn’t know until someone went into antimatter storage. One had already done quite a bit of damage to the Artemis.

Ed pulled up the sensor reading from Tactical. An unknown metallic compound and a faint power signature. Was the power source producing neutron radiation? Why was the table of elements always insufficient? Tyra wanted to know what was known about neutron radiation and that was fair since wasn’t a hundred percent sure about it, so he’d run that through the Computer along with analysis of the metallic compound.

== GM input request, are the probe launchers operable, what does the Computer have on neutron radiation and is the Computer able to break down the trace metallic compound? ==
  • 0

#37 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.21 @ 20:32 (08:32 PM)

The conclusion was startling. Not one, but two anomalies had struck the Artemis.
 
The first had impacted the deflector shields violently, and the sensors had captured no clear image of the anomaly. A wealth of possible data had been assembled allowing the Midshipman to make an informed comparison. In the first data stream a second anomaly could be seen riding the coattails of the first - they shared similar sensor data, but upon impact with the starship, those similarities ended. 
 
Ed looked upon the live sensor data from Deck 18. 
 
“It shares characteristics with the first anomaly prior to impact. We should expect that if it shares similar characteristics, it shares similar behaviour.” 
 
He paralleled the sequences.
 
“Whatever we struck - or whatever struck us - we are at risk of a secondary impact in the Antimatter Storage pods. The second anomaly appears to have entered the hull interior thanks to the impact of the first anomaly.”
 
Edward’s face betrayed a look of deep contemplation, as if he had been carried off by his thoughts.
 
“It rather reminds me of the behaviour of the basium mortem nettle. A most beautiful plant. You’ll recognise it by its rich black petals and red outlining…”
 
He paused, realising that was veering off point. 
 
“The initial sting is most painful to anyone who touches it, but it’s the poison left in your veins after a few hours that will kill you.”
 
The realisation had arrived too late, Alken wasn’t addressing a room full of plant loving botanists. 
 
“The second anomaly within the hull is similar to the first anomaly prior to impact. A second impact on the scale that destroyed the deflector could destroy the ship.” 
 
Suddenly he found himself wishing the Artemis had touched some basium mortem nettle, because for that he was educated in possible remedies. 

  • 0

#38 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22103.22 @ 12:04 (12:04 PM)

==Gregg==

 

Yes, the Probe Launchers were operational.

 

The computer had a lot of information on Neutron Radiation, specifically that it was highly dangerous to organic matter (at least ten times as harmful as Gamma Radiation) and in some cases could induce the affected cells to become radioactive themselves. On Earth during the Twentieth Century, the Superpowers had attempted to harness and weaponise Neutron Radiation to inflict maximum casualties on a target while causing little to no damage to a city's infrastructure such as buildings and roads. The hull and even the walls of the Artemis' corridors would contain the spread of radiation, but affected areas would need to be thoroughly decontaminated.

 

The computer was chewing on an analysis of the trace metals, and was struggling. None of the metals were known to Federation science, which, given their location, wasn't exactly surprising. It would be easier if they had a physical sample to analyse in the labs rather than simply using the ship's external and internal sensors, which were not designed for such specific work.


  • 0

#39 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.24 @ 13:13 (01:13 PM)

Jenny rolled her eyes as Elias responded in a way that was atypical of the man but not exactly unwarranted; delays could mean the destruction of the ship, but so could charging in half-cocked, and a 50/50 shot was one she was willing to take - not that she'd live long enough to know if she was wrong. Though she'd resisted the urge to snap back at the Chief Engineer, it was more difficult to use the same restraint with the new Midshipman who was going on about plants - he might have been a Junior Officer but he was old enough to know better, surely? Well aware that an outburst on the Bridge would do more harm than good, Jenny kept a lid on her irritation and focused on piecing together the puzzle she had been handed and the cryptic way in which it had been delivered.

 

The news about the repair station was good, if the engines weren't damaged they could limp there at Warp Three or so using the Secondary Deflector, but first they had to figure out whether these 'anomalies' were going to be more of a problem or whether this was a virtually one-off situation.

 

“The second anomaly within the hull is similar to the first anomaly prior to impact. A second impact on the scale that destroyed the deflector could destroy the ship.” 

 

I think we're all well-aware of that, thank you...

 

Confident now that she'd been correct in her guess of hitting some kind of phase-cloaked mine, Jenny now turned her attention to the larger issues - were they in the middle of a minefield, or were these strays? Blockading a system with mines wasn't as difficult as people might think, all you had to do was block off the regularly-used lanes from local systems, that would force travellers to either test their luck with the mines or attempt a riskier departure outside of the regular spacelanes. If the planet had been uninhabited for centuries or longer and the mines were left over from some ancient war, why hadn't they already detonated? Or were these unlikely strays, carried away from their deployment zone by solar winds or a misfiring guidance thruster, doomed to roam the cosmos until they annihilated themselves and whatever they were unlucky enough to hit? 

 

Reopening the channel to Elias, she took a deep breath.

 

"I have reason to believe we have a partially-phased mine in the store room; unless you have an EOD technician with you, wait for backup."

 

Pinching the bridge of her nose between forefinger and thumb, Jenny turned back to Tyra. Phase-cloaked mines weren't covered in detail at the Academy because they were (legally) banned by the Alpha and Beta Quadrant powers, they were something that most people only came across once and with predictably fatal consequences. Defusing one was going to be a nightmare, especially if it was only partially-materialised; Jenny hoped the Security EOD teams would be up to the task, but deep down she knew that was unlikely to be the case. 

 

"With your permission, I'd like to supervise the defusing personally - they're going to need all the help they can get down there."


  • 0

#40 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.24 @ 16:10 (04:10 PM)

In her experience, it was typically the young and green bridge personnel that caused her headaches, whether it was asking permission for something extremely simple like a passive sensor sweep or not asking permission before launching a probe or trying to connect to another ship's computer system. Or not communicating pertinent details or drowning the pertinent details in a five minute monologs about something incredibly unimportant. It was just a known fact that with the green came growing pains and with those growing pains, likely came a headache. Occasionally, the headache was caused by a senior officer who was a little off their game but those were a rarity. Even more rare was her headache being caused by her own right hand man but today, seemed like the day...

For a moment after Jenny had order Elias to hold his position with a firmness that spelled out the seriousness of the situation, Tyra looked at her FO with a slightly raised eyebrow, expecting the petite brunette to turn around with some sort of explanation. However, the eyebrow ended up dropping as her gaze turned into more of a sharp stare at the continued lack of some sort of explanation. However, she forced herself to bite her tongue because surely her trusted FO would make the information known if it was truly important.

She was still staring rather pointedly in the direction of helm when Gregg spoke up. “Captain, the source of the neutron radiation is somewhere in our immediate vicinity. According to the Talaxian star charts nobody has been here in a millennia. If we can make low warp there’s a repair and resupply station a day or so from our current location.”

She was about to turn back around and remind certain parties that she couldn't very well make any informed orders without all of the details when the other scientist on the bridge began talking.

“Whatever we struck - or whatever struck us - we are at risk of a secondary impact in the Antimatter Storage pods. The second anomaly appears to have entered the hull interior thanks to the impact of the first anomaly.”

She zoned out quickly, contemplating the data, as the young scientist began waxing about some irrelevant planet. It sounded like what he was describing was a mine of some variety, though it would have to possess some sort of upgrade to have been missed by sensors and make it through the hull.

Oh, well it's not like that's some pretty ******* important information... not at all. She thought, her gaze returning to its former target with significantly more heat attached to it.

The fact of the matter was that the lack of that information had led her to sending a team to the site of a potentially unstable mine and had they opened that door, at best, their deaths would have been on her shoulders and at worst, the entire ship's destruction would have been on her shoulders. Entirely avoidable with any actual communication of information...

However, she bit her tongue. It would have been so easy to rip into Jenny for the error and likely, it was more than deserved. Those were the types of errors that her FO would eat a midshipman alive for and yet, their junior officers weren't failing on this front. Both Asil and Alken had kept their cool and relayed constant updates-- it was her senior officers that were slacking with the exception of Gregg. This told her that the issue was a learned habit of laxness that she'd need to address at the first opportunity but not now. There was a time and place for everything and this wasn't it or that's what she felt she would have been told by someone more fit for the command chair.

"I have reason to believe we have a partially-phased mine in the store room; unless you have an EOD technician with you, wait for backup," Jenny was reporting to Elias as if he was the only one that would benefit from such an update.

Tyra was rubbing her forehead in frustration by the time Jenny turned to face her. "With your permission, I'd like to supervise the defusing personally - they're going to need all the help they can get down there."

Because you're an EOD tech? Most of security likely has more explosives training... she buried the frustrated thought as soon as it came up. There was nothing positive that would come out of letting it out and while it might not be wise to let the person known to take unnecessary risks near a bomb, it also wouldn't be wise to let her have the bridge if she wasn't in the mindset to disseminate information where it needed to go.

"Of course, contact security for whoever they have trained as an EOD tech on their SRT. Let us know if the mine is in a position that will allow us to start crawling towards that station."

"Oh, and maybe, just maybe, give me a courtesy call if you're about to blow up my damn ship," she added with a look that clearly said "do freaking better" before her attention went elsewhere.

"Midshipman Alken, see if you can map out the positions of any other anomalies within our sensor range. Work with Asil and Gregg to devise some sort of route that leads us towards that station without encountering anymore surprises."

== Tag! ==
  • 0

#41 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Discord:Telsekk
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22103.26 @ 05:51 (05:51 AM)

Asil had been listening quietly to the reports coming in and discussions while damage assessments and casualties reports came in.  With his station secure and the ship in no state to move yet, he began to think about how to increase their chances of spotting these devices.

 

If we could reach out with something.. he thought. 

 

“Whiskers!” Asil said, a little too loud for his liking.

 

He secured the helm and headed to Alken’s station to run it by him before approaching the senior staff.

 

“If we established an matrix with a few class 8 probes, they may provide us with more information than our sensors can gather alone.  The probes should be able to maintain a parallel course with us as we traverse this potential minefield and help us sniff out any more of these devices. “


  • 0

#42 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.31 @ 21:57 (09:57 PM)

Tyra had Asil and the Eds working on marking a clear path to the station. The Computer had got back to Ed with what it had on neutron radiation. The sensor report on the debris was frustrating. Midshipman Asil came up with a good idea for mapping the course. The tricky bit was operable range with the neutron radiation and not running into more of whatever was out there. He also needed samples of the trace metals. More trouble.

He wondered if transphasic mines really were a thing. The Tholians did stuff with folded space. Star Fleet apparently had dabbled with a cloak that could make a ship phase through solid matter. Something along the lines of quantum entanglement. It brought up memories of the Reciprocity, but that had been explained to him as being a slightly more sophisticated holographic training program.

It was a bit too late to quit just because you’d got the wool pulled over your eyes, twice.

It still stung, but there were more pressing matters. Ed launched four Class 8’s followed by two Class 5’s. The 5’s were set to search for samples of the trace metals and maintained a close arch to the ship. There was mention of a power source in the reports and he wondered if that had been the source of the neutron radiation, He’d half to mimic whatever Midshipman Asil used as the ship’s whiskers.

“Four Class 8’s launched, Midshipman Asil. Please be gentle and make sure to recall them when you’ve finished. Our resources aren’t infinite out here. Also watch out for neutron radiation interference. It’s playing hob with long range sensors and I’m not sure about our current optimal range. Also tread carefully. As we’re half-blind I don’t want to be the cause of triggering another of whatever crippled us.

“Midshipman Alken, I’ve launched two Class 5’s to look for the trace metals the sensors picked up, for analysis. If samples can be retrieved could you contact Midshipman Andrew Sanderson. Hazardous material procedures most definitely apply as I can seem to glean much about the nature of the trace metals the sensors are detecting.

“Captain, regarding neutron radiation according to the Computer it’s like gamma radiation only worse. Hazardous to biological matter to the point of making cells radioactive in some cases. Affected areas of the ship will need decontamination when we get somewhere safer.”

Ed knew he was ****** either way and he’d blotted his copybook long ago. It was an odd situation. Made a lot more tense by the anomaly in antimatter storage. Jenny had already run off to ‘assist’ with defusing the thing if it turned out to be a mine. That sounded highly optimistic for the First Officer. At least she might keep Elias and whoever he was with from blowing themselves up. Which raised the question how do you defuse a mine when it is out of phase?

== GM input request, are the Class 5 probes able to collect samples of the trace metals? ==
  • 0

#43 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.31 @ 23:55 (11:55 PM)

With Jenny moving to hopefully contain the imminent threat, Tyra's attention had turned to how they might limp to the discovered station once they had determined a safe passage out of this space. As such, she hadn't heard the conversation between tactical and science regarding sending probes out into a potentially volatile and un-mapped minefield. Yes, she hoped that they had somehow found the only two mines present in the region but experience told her to expect a good 100 more.
 
Actually, Tyra wasn't clued into the idea by any sort of request to launch them but rather by her console blinking with a message that not one, not two but six probes had been fired out into the space around them. For a moment, all she could do was blink at the screen in surprise, dismay and then, disbelief. Her CSO couldn't fire a probe when it was an incredibly crucial moment of battle with the Borg but he sure damn could when it might blow them to Hell. Marvelous. And to make matters worse, two of the probes seemed to be programmed to remain close to Artemis, which meant if they hit a mine, it was most certainly going to rock the Artemis, at best.
 
Oh so now he knows how to launch probes... she thought as Gregg began reporting on the gamma radiation, which was now the least of her concerns.
 
"Whoever has control of the probes needs to bring them to an all stop before they find something that blows another hole in us," she called out, her tone tight and clipped. 
 
Her teeth were gritting together as she fought the urge to rip into both her helmsman and her CSO for the absolute lack of common sense but she forced a breath out. If she was going to take the high ground with Jenny, who she didn't expect such mistakes from, then, she needed to do so with Gregg, who unfortunately she should expect such mistakes from.
 
"Commander Gregg, please come here and take Commander Braggins' seat for a moment," she said, her tone still controlled but short.
 
She paused to allow for him to move as requested and if he didn't, well, she'd just say it so everyone could hear. However, she'd prefer to talk quietly to allow some explanation "Help me here. I'm trying to understand why someone would think it is a reasonable and logical idea to launch not one but six projectiles in the middle of a potential mine field. Without an idea of where the mines might be or where we sit in relation to the field, how can you safe guard against the probes hitting a mine? And if they hit something close to us, it might not matter if the team down below can get the mine defused because another impact might set it off and us with it..."
 
== Tag! ==

  • 0

#44 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22104.03 @ 21:38 (09:38 PM)

Bill Sanderson's voice came over the comms, and while the news wasn't great, it could've been a lot worse. [Engineering to Bridge. Working on getting you engine control again, Captain. Appears to be no damage to any of our propulsion systems, the breakers did their job. Should be able to give you impulse in a couple of hours, thrusters sooner than that. It's just gonna take time.]


  • 0

#45 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.03 @ 21:42 (09:42 PM)

Ed wasn’t telepathic, but he couldn’t seem to get on Tyra’s good side. He lacked patience and subtlety when it came to trying to find things out. He’d been fairly sure that there was no political reason against launching probes, but there was the issue of the unknown. Sensors called the thing in the antimatter storage pods an anomaly. Based on current experience the anomaly was a mine. The question in his mind was how many were out there and what were the triggering parameters?

The Captain ordered an all stop on the probes and requested Ed’s presence. It was a bonus that she hadn’t ordered to talk to him in her Ready Room. It wasn’t going to be a shouting match, but a quiet enquiry. He got up from his place at the Science console and made his way over to Jenny’s seat. Logic was only applicable based on the parameters used to make a decision. It wasn’t easy maintaining cool thinking when under pressure.

“It was a calculated risk. The Talaxians have a repair and resupply station past this system. As there is not an appended note about missing ships I would imagine that this minefield has specific target parameters. A probe does not have the same mass as a starship. Also we were travelling at warp 6 when we got hit. I intended that the probes would not to go above one quarter impulse.

“If Commander Braggins can disarm the mine in the Antimatter Storage Pods, then I will be able to recall the Class 5’s. The compound they’re made of is not listed in our Computer. The Class 8’s are able to act as our long range sensors if we can get them to a range beyond the neutron radiation.

“I could have worked with Midshipman Alken to determine the mine’s energy signature through the short range sensors before launching the Class 8 probes, but I could not determine how far apart they are spaced without long range sensors.”

If you find yourself in a minefield it helps to have a metal detector.

Ed felt it would be impolitic to say what he thought out loud. Tyra was a good Captain. It didn’t help that most of her officers were impatient to get things done. He couldn’t recall a time before joining the Gettysburg when he had to request authorisation to launch a probe. It was probably different situations. He still didn’t know how the mines moved in and out of phase or what triggered them.

A lot was riding on whether the anomaly in the Antimatter Storage Pods was in phase and if it could be disarmed. His logic was not always fathomable to most. Even telepaths depending on their aptitude couldn’t figure out his thought process. He had thought that he could have learnt something from the debris of the mine that had gone off in the warp bubble. An intact mine would be useful for study, as long it was possible to isolate the power source without exposing the Artemis to more neutron radiation. He puzzled over who would set such a trap and how long ago it was set.

Do the mines sit out of phase until a vessel matching their accepted parameters comes into range? Could this have been a trap for the Borg?
  • 0

#46 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22104.03 @ 22:56 (10:56 PM)

The funny thing about logic was that Tyra had found that not all perceived logic was equal or even in the same galaxy. As Gregg explained the rationale behind his actions, Tyra could envision his thought process as a pyramid and while some of the blocks of the pyramid were solid and firm, there were numerous blocks that she would considered partially phased. These partially phased blocks were the numerous assumptions Gregg had made in his reasoning. Maybe, if they were lucky, these blocks turned firm and solid, capable of holding the weight of the pyramid as a whole. However, there was just as big of a chance that these assumptions, some built on the barest of information, would phase out and risk the structural integrity of the pyramid. And unfortunately, the fate of the Artemis was now tied to this half-***, half-phased pyramid.
 
She took a deep breath as Ed stopped speaking, the same kind of deep steadying breath she took when Evie was trying her patience. With Evie venturing closer and closer to the terrible threes, these sighs were becoming more frequent. However, she hadn't anticipated feeling like she was reasoning with a toddler when she walked onto the bridge that morning.
 
"Calculated risks... they have a time and place. However, they are not to be made lightly and out of impatience because someone doesn't have the willingness to consider the problem from all angles before going for the nuclear option. Were any attempts made to boost the sensor to compensate for the radiation in the very near proximity of the Artemis?  Did we make any attempt to determine if we are capable of clearing the radiation in our immediate vicinity to help the sensors? Was it considered that perhaps if we ensured that our immediate space was clear, we could have carefully and concisely launch probes into that small space and slowly have them begin to clear space out from us? In a controlled and precise manner instead of just launching 'em out there and hoping?"
 
"Not to mention, if that calculated risk involves the safety of this entire ship, it's not your calculated risk to make in a bubble. These are things that are discussed to make sure every bit of information is on the table before pulling the trigger," she added, her blue eyes locking on to Gregg's like a tractor beam. Her tone was still even, sharp but even. After a moment, she shook her head.
 
"I also have to point out that the logic with which you measured this risk is built upon assumptions that you have no evidence for or against. You are assuming that this area is heavily trafficked and you are assuming the Talaxians are the primary controlling party, who would know if any ships went missing. You are assuming that this is a targeted mine field, when we have no idea if this is the remnants of a war or a very, very aggressive "keep out" sign or something else entirely. And you're assuming that these mines are programmed to go off only on larger crafts at high speeds, when for all we know they might be sensitive enough to go off on asteroids of a small size. These are the types of assumptions that you are forced to trust once you have tried everything else... and you haven't. You couldn't have in the amount of time that's passed and frankly, the fact that you were willing to trust these half-assed assumptions with no proof makes me wonder if you're just impatient or too lazy to do your due diligence.  Either way, this crew deserves a whole Hell of lot better than to possibly be in even greater straits because you weren't willing to explore every option before shooting into a minefield..."
 
"Now, get back to your station while I un-**** this," her tone had hardened on this statement but it still lacked that sharp, fiery anger she normally possessed. In fact, it sounded a lot like an irritated and exasperated mother.
 
She didn't even wait for Gregg to get up before she was turning back to face the front of the bridge. "Mishipman Asil, what is the location and status of each of the probes?" she asked helms before turning so that she could address both Midshipman Alken and Asil. "Are they in a stationary position that they could be used to boost our sensors? Or, and this would require some coordination between you two, are they in a position that we can utilize them to form a net of sorts to slowly begin clearing their immediate area and slowly, carefully inching out? Almost like a very careful search pattern... a mine sweep, if you will," she asked, her tone had lost its sharpness and was more questioning as if she was still considering the possibilities.
 
[Engineering to Bridge. Working on getting you engine control again, Captain. Appears to be no damage to any of our propulsion systems, the breakers did their job. Should be able to give you impulse in a couple of hours, thrusters sooner than that. It's just gonna take time,] Engineering reported, providing them a timeline for how long they had to figure out a way to map out the mine field and actually execute it. 
 
"Y'all heard the man. We have time to figure this out in an efficient and careful manner so no need to rush or cut corners."
 
==Tag Gregg, Alken and Asil! ==

  • 0

#47 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.05 @ 16:23 (04:23 PM)

The Captain was right about Ed putting the crew at risk. He didn’t know if the mines would react to probes. He didn’t know what caused the mines to transition between being in and out of phase. It was rather presumptuous that she was the only one able to un-**** the current predicament. The Talaxians had a repair and resupply station out this way because it wasn’t well travelled. Was it because of the mines?

Ed got up and walked back to the Science console. He pulled up at records from the Talaxians regarding the system to see if they’d encountered the mines. There was also the matter of what the sensors had ignored about the anomaly. If he’d worked a bit longer on finding out the facts about the mines he wouldn’t be in the dog house.

Poor Asil and Alken were stuck with keeping the probes in line, but Tyra caved a little towards using the ones he’d launched to search for the mines from their current position. If they were outside the influence of the neutron radiation he could process what the sensors had missed and look for parallels. According to Engineering the propulsion systems were fine. The breakers had protected them from an overload. They could work on repairing the connections and getting the core back online. Once a path was established they could use thrusters to clear the area before going to warp, maybe.

Ed was grateful that there wasn’t a rush to get things going. The radiation exposure was contained to the forward areas around the deflector dish. Engineering was going to be occupied. He didn’t expect to have to re-educate the troubleshooting subroutines for the sensors. He had the Computer pull up the sensor data from just before the first anomaly appeared in the Artemis’ warp bubble. The sensors had seen the distortion for a fraction of time and dismissed it as a glitch.

The distortion phased out shortly after sensors detected it, so what was it that caused it to phase back?

== GM input request, according to the Talaxian information what route did they take when going to up the station and did they pass the system the Artemis was skirting? Also what are the details of the distortion the sensors picked up and ignored? ==
  • 0

#48 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22104.06 @ 01:47 (01:47 AM)

==Gregg==

 

For the Probes to detect the trace compounds, the devices they belonged to would have to be visible to the sensors. At this time, that was not the case, meaning the probes would continue along their search pattern until they ran out of fuel.

 

The Talaxians usually gave this system a wider berth than the Artemis had, believing that uninhabited systems were possible locations of pirate or Kazon raiding outposts. The Artemis, being vastly superior to any Talaxian vessel, had not been quite so cautious when the course was plotted.

 

==I'll have the rest for you later, as the possibilities of what a semi-sentient AI like the Artemis might consider "beneath it" are literally endless...==


  • 1

#49 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.07 @ 09:28 (09:28 AM)

Well **** me sideways!? Presumption thy name is Commander Gregg

Ed fumed quietly to himself. He’d forgotten that trace readings meant next to bugger all. It had been a waste of time launching the 5’s. The probes would search and search for those trace reading and find only a handful of atoms work. Definitely not enough to educate the Computer so he could reduce the amount of times he saw unknown compound.

The next one was the kicker. The Talaxians gave this system a wide berth for fear of Kazon or pirate outposts. Sure it was vacant, but when did that put off pirates? The Artemis was the new badass in the system and scorned petty things like pirates, at least as long the phaser banks held out and there was a good stock of torpedoes. This mean that the theory of there being a preferred mass for triggering the mines. There might be a little bit of give, but not in terms that the Captain would allow.

It also looked as if the Computer was going to get pissy about him second guessing its judgement call. Ed was half tempted to threaten the Computer with a pickaxe and a major reprogramming until it could only sing Daisy Bell. Unfortunately even if it was getting truculent with him the rest of the crew needed its processes. Ed felt he could knock off to the Crew Lounge for a half pint of something alcoholic. It would **** off Tyra even further, so he decided to stay shtum and wait to see what happens next.
  • 0

#50 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Discord:Telsekk
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22104.08 @ 10:50 (10:50 AM)

Asil transferred control of the probes to the helm and returned to his station and initiated the telemetry link to the class 8 probes.  He ordered the probes to standby in a stationary position around the ship, then set to the task of programming the scanning parameters.

 

With all of this radiation, these probes are going to to be busy sorting through the interference..

 

As the computer chewed on programming the probes Asil returned to analysis of the ships position when they encountered the first mine. Asil calculated the distance between the two mines Artemis had already encounter and got to work establishing likely dispersal patterns for mines. Before turning to report to the Captain he activated the probes’ sensors, two scanning the ship, while the other two looking outward.

 

“Captain” Asil felt a bit nervous speaking to her as she’d after dressing down Commander Gregg. He felt somewhat responsible for that situation himself, but he swallowedand continued.  

 

“Our telemetry link with the probes is stable, while we’re stuck here they can hunt on their own, I’ve programmed an isogrid search pattern extending from our position 80,000 kilometers.  With all four probes working it shouldn’t take more than an two hours to clear the area around the ship and we may have a.  Once we get underway the probes will close in and follow us in formation.”

 

==GM INPUT REQUESTED== What do our probes see apart from debris and radiation? Is there any new information about the ship or our immediate surroundings that could indicate another mine.

==Tag==


  • 0

#51 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.12 @ 20:06 (08:06 PM)

[Braggins to Crawford, we've located the anomaly. Initial findings suggest it's a Neutron Mine, designed to irradiate and kill any organic matter but leave any physical hardware unaffected. Unfortunately it's sitting in between our Antimatter Tanks, so if we can't defuse it, it won't matter if it's meant to destroy the ship or not.]


  • 0

#52 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22104.14 @ 12:34 (12:34 PM)

==Apologies for the delay, something came up that prevented me getting the keyboard time I'd like!==

 

The probes provided a detailed view of the ship's exterior, including the ugly scar beside the Deflector that the first explosion had caused - it would be difficult to repair without the assistance of a Shipyard or Repair Ship, as the breach was wider than any single piece of plating the Industrial Replicators could fabricate. Even utilising Workbees, the repair would be difficult given the proximity of the breach to the saucer section and the limited space to maneuver.

 

They did not, unfortunately, provide much more detail about the system that the sensors had not already provided - the system was long-dead, there were no signs of life or other starships, and no reason for a minefield to be deployed in such an area. Best case scenario, they'd been unlucky enough to be struck by a pair of strays that had drifted in from elsewhere in the galaxy. Worst case, they were in the middle of a minefield that they couldn't see. 


  • 0

#53 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22104.17 @ 19:24 (07:24 PM)

Tyra was silent in the wake of Asil's report, considering both what he had reported and what hadn't been said. The probes had been halted before they could hit anything, which was good, and it sounded like Asil had thought out a search grid, which was also good. However, there was no mention of what programming had been updated to keep the probes from just storming forward, gathering as much information as efficiently as possible, which was how they were designed to. There also was no mention of the probes being modified to specifically hone in on the anomalous readings they were looking for, readings that the probes very likely would designate as space trash readings otherwise. She hoped that was just an oversight on reporting but experience told her not to assume such things with junior officers.

She was about to clarify those points with the helmsman when the comm channel opened to Jenny delivering news that just seemed par for the day. It explained the radiation spike they endured but it did nothing to soothe any concerns regarding prospects if the mine detonating.

"Understood," she answered before closing the channel with a sigh.

"Science, begin working on figure out if there is something... anything... that can neutralize neutron radiation. Start running simulations on anything you can think of."

"Midshipman Asil, before you begin moving the probes in a search pattern, have you modified them to focus on the exact reading we are looking for? And have you programmed their search parameters to require pauses in movement before they progress to the next square, so to speak? Have simulations shown the probes likely success in finding the mines given their cloaked status?"
  • 0

#54 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22104.20 @ 13:08 (01:08 PM)

The look of those on the bridge to his plant analogy had proved it had not been well received. 
 
I did say I’m not a damn bridge officer. 
 
In size the probes shared similar qualities to the potential mines that had struck the Artemis hull. There were of course some significant distinctions - an inners designed to increase their devastating impact being one, but on a brighter note, at least the probes were on their side. 
 
The sensor data was different to the data arriving from the ship's sensors - not in its consistency, the space around them was the same, but in perspective. The Artemis was no longer the center of the universe, instead that glory was for the probe. Ed could have tapped the ship's sensors to return her to that esteemed view, but for now it was more likely that the probe would outlast the ship. 
 
Asil had automated the probes, which were safely maintaining position at designated points just off the hull of the ship, and had reported it to the Captain. 
 
Maybe we’ll all be hitching a ride on you my friends if this mess gets any worse. 
 
His thoughts were interrupted by the repeating phrase of Neutron Radiation echoing across the room. Crawford had only mentioned it once, but Ed had silently been repeating it in his head, as if repetition would draw to the fore any information he had hidden away from lessons at the Academy. 
 
I wonder if we can burn them out, cause their reactor to simply stall. 
 
Ed looked towards his senior officer who was perched at his console, likely having better luck with the Captain’s order than the botanist was. At such a distance it was going to be difficult to suggest an action.
 
Stepping away from Asil and the temporary commandeered operations console, he crossed the room quietly, repositioning himself next to his superior. 
 
“Could we rapidly decay the neutrons in the mines reactor? Employ some kind of bosons to theoretically force the mine's reactor to burn out without risking detonation. Stall its engine so to speak, causing it to burn itself out?” 
 
== Tag Gregg! ==

  • 0

#55 Mid Johnner Asil

Mid Johnner Asil

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Discord:Telsekk
  • Tactical Officer

Posted Star Date 22104.20 @ 21:43 (09:43 PM)

Asil turned his attention from his screen to the Captain’s questions.  Luckily each one of them could be addressed in sequence as he brought up the search pattern on the main viewer, he also forwarded the search pattern simulations to the command and science stations. 

 

“We have Captain. The probes have been receiving data from the engineering team and we also programmed the sensor packages to focus on neutron radiation as well as any subspace or momentary gravitational anomalies. When they get a reading on something the multispectral scanners should be able to triangulate and get an image.”

 

The isogrid search pattern displayed on the screen showed a the simulation as the probes encountered sensory breadcrumbs they slowed captured a full image set and moved on.

 

“In each instance the simulated probes detected the device and relayed navigational data back to the ship and coarse corrections were applied.  Transit out of this field may be slower than normal but I’m confident we can navigate as soon as we have propulsion. ”

 

 

==Tag==


  • 0

#56 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22104.26 @ 12:38 (12:38 PM)

Tyra nodded her head slightly. "Very well. Then, get the process started," she stated.

She could hear speaking from the science area and she hoped that meant they were back on track in a way that wasn't likely to blow them all up without at least some considerations for other options.

She picked up her coffee cup but immediately signed at the weight of it, remembering its infuriate fate with another sigh. On the other hand, coffee wasn't likely to make her any happier about babysitting an eager, albeit green bridge crew.
  • 0

#57 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22104.26 @ 13:20 (01:20 PM)

==To prevent people posting and waiting on me again, I'm going to pre-empt any forthcoming GM Input==

 

Asil's probe network circled the ship, hunting for more obstacles to the Artemis' continued survival. Five minutes passed, then ten, and the probes detected nothing. It seemed as though the Artemis had been lucky, and rather than wandering into a minefield, had been hit by two "drifters" left over from some long-forgotten war.


  • 0

#58 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22104.27 @ 01:23 (01:23 AM)

[Engineering to Bridge,] came a voice over the intercom. There was a moment's hesitation, before Ensign Bill Sanderson continued. [You've got thrusters ready now; I'll have impulse for you in ten minutes. Warp is still gonna be a bit longer.]

 

==This should be happening roughly concurrently with Tyra's last post; by the time the GM input is complete, impulse should be good to roll.==


  • 0

#59 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.29 @ 08:02 (08:02 AM)

A message then came through from Eli as she delivered an update about the mine.

[McKenna to Captain Crawford, we've discovered that the weapon is of Vaadwuar design and has a malfunctioning phase shifter. We have an idea of how to make it safe but are proceeding with caution]



== Tag Tyra ==

Edited by Lt Eliana McKenna, Star Date 22104.29 @ 08:02 (08:02 AM).

  • 0

#60 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.03 @ 01:03 (01:03 AM)

== I'm going to move the bridge a little bit to make the transition to the time jump a little smoother. ==
 
Patience had never been a strong suit of Tyra's, having been regularly referred to as hotheaded and impatient in her youth. However, it would be nearly impossible to flourish in the security field -- a field defined by the concept of "hurry up and wait" -- without growing in that particular area. In fact, she'd found that her two greatest weaknesses were closely connected, noting that her patience had increased as she found ways to better reign in her temper. Becoming a mother had also led to both improving leaps and bounds as evidenced by the fact that Gregg hadn't been thrown off the bridge head first when that certainly would have been the reaction of a much younger Tyra Crawford, likely the one sitting somewhere in the Romulan War.
 
All the same, she didn't like waiting, even if she could handle it better, and this particular type of waiting was exceptionally horrific. What exactly was she waiting for? Was she waiting for Asil's probes to find another errant mine? Was she waiting for one of the scientists to give her some sort of answer on the radiation front? Or was she waiting for the deck to disintegrate out from underneath her boots as she plummeted on a one way ticket to Valhalla? 
 
All of the above.
 
She had pulled up her console to show the probes' progress, wearily watching them as if it would somehow help matters. It had to be better than considering what was going on down below and her own complete inability to assist with that process at all. There were occasional breaks in the watch as engineering reported that thursters were online and impulse would follow shortly and then, McKenna reported on the nature of the bomb without being able to provide any truly good news. The name of the game was still waiting.
 
With a sigh, she had split her console so that she could look into the species Eli had identified.  Vaadwuar appeared to have been a rather powerful race that had drawn the ire of their neighbors through what appeared to be a strong inclination towards conquering and raiding other planets. That seemed to have led to a war, which the Vaadwuar had not fared well in. In fact, they were believed to have gone extinct, except for a small faction Voyager had encountered. Whether that faction had survived or not, they clearly were not active inhabitants of this system, which meant that any mines found were the remnants of a fight long over. If it was anything more active, she would have expected someone to already have taken advantage of a vessel following into their trap so that made a dead field seem like the most likely option.
 
Her blue eyes shifted back to the other side of her screen, to the probes slowly moving their way about. The further they moved without a ping, the less likely it was becoming that it was a full field.  There was no tactical advantage to spacing mines farther apart than necessary but the alternative suggested that the Artemis had merely been the victim of very, very bad luck. Given the totality of her experience, Tyra was a big believer in the threads of fate, believing that they inexplicably bound people to each other and moments in time. Yes, she believed that people were capable of writing their own destinies but she also believed that there were certain places, people, and moments that couldn't be outrun or out maneuvered no matter how hard someone tried. The question was this was one of those threads or merely a moment of bad lucj, the type that no amount of planning could prepare one for?
 
Tyra was chewing on that concept as engineering notified her that impulse engines were on line. This was nearly in sync with the probes finishing their search pattern with no findings, which was an excellent, albeit puzzling finding. Was it a matter of the probes missing an errant reading or had there truly only been two mines that they had managed to activate from warp? If it was the latter, she would place this firmly in the "thread" column as even the bad luck that fate had bestowed on her in the past hadn't been quite so improbably.  Somehow, when Steve had been teaching her to always expect the unexpected when leading a military action, she didn't think that even he would have told her to foresee this particular obstacle.
 
"Midshipman Asil, good work with the probes. Please recall them when you're done with them. Chart a course for that repair station and let's give this system a wider berth this time. We'll begin crawling that way once the team below finishes their work on the bomb," she said with confidence that contradicted the growing knot of uneasy in her stomach. 
 
Maybe it was because she was still expecting the deck to shred to pieces below her at any moment or maybe it was because she could feel the loom beginning to tug on its threads, creating a masterpiece of one form or another that they were utterly unaware of. And if her experience meant anything, none of them should be hoping that Fate herself was sitting at the loom... it was never a good thing when one earned personal attention from the great master.
 
"Science, when they've finished with the defusing, collect any readings they've acquired and work with engineering to study the device or what's left of it. I want to know how it works and how to deal with it more effectively in case this is a common design in the region," she called out before settling into her chair for more waiting, just this time without the distraction of the probes.
 
== Oh GM... please be kind this time. No more holes, please. ==

  • 0

#61 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22105.03 @ 01:35 (01:35 AM)

==Timeskip - 40 Hours later==

 

Using the secondary deflector and keeping the Artemis' velocity below Warp 3, the ship managed to make it to the repair station without incident, high in orbit over a volcanic planet that was devoid of complex life forms and produced an interesting sensor-scattering effect from the gases being released into the atmosphere.

The station itself was a kilometer high, a wide obelisk that tapered towards the top. From the central obelisk stretched two large booms, each a dozen or so decks deep, that stretched out like arms to form an open circle with a diameter of close to two kilometers. The near face of the obelisk had several large doors, presumably to permit entry of craft of various shapes and sizes, while the booms were studded with access points for personnel transfer tubes, cargo chutes, and refuelling pipes. 

 

Even for a design so far removed from what a Human might design, it was obviously a strictly utilitarian design. It appeared to be completely unarmed, and though the station's systems appeared to be online, there were no responses to hails or any signs of life on sensors.

 

It seemed like the Artemis had visited a ghost station...


  • 0

#62 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.03 @ 09:53 (09:53 AM)

Ed knew how to block solar radiation, but he didn’t know how to dissipate a radioactive field without a working deflector array. That had to be irony at play. He could mimic the deflector array with a group of modified probes, but that would require time for the work and he’d have to have a simulation that proved that it would work. He’d also need to be able to prove that he wouldn’t trigger a mine with one of the probes.

Ed tried to keep his cool when the Class 8 probes indicated that there were no other mines that matched the ones they’d hit in the immediate area. It could have gone either way he guessed, since his assumption what the triggering parameters were didn’t have a solid foundation to work from. At least it was one less worry for the moment. A comm. from Eli made him feel like he’d stripped a gear. Defused was good, but how had they identified the mine?

Vaadwaur design!?

There was a long list of things that bugged Ed. Somewhere in that list was finding out something that the Computer should have known only after someone had set eyeballs on it. The mine had a malfunctioning phase shifter so the delay in identification was somewhat forgivable. They had all this information from Voyager, but there was this delay in putting the peg in the right hole. It was more than just a footnote somewhere.

With the mine defused and its power source hopefully stored securely it’d make for some interesting studying. The probes were being recalled and thoroughly scrubbed. The Bridge was always daunting first time around. To be honest crewmembers were always a lot more easily stressed when on the Bridge. It went from the lowest ranked officer right up to the Captain. Occasionally it was merited. Ed couldn’t seem to avoid being a cause of that stress. He was certain he lacked the sensibilities needed. He’d bring Alken along when the time to work on the mine arrived.
  • 0

#63 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.03 @ 13:54 (01:54 PM)

==Post timeskip==

 

Though the bandages were off her hand and the fractured bones had started to heal, the bruise had yet to completely fade, leaving an ugly black mark on the back of her left hand. Flexing her fingers to work the circulation and keep from stiffening, Jenny forced herself to relax as the Artemis approached the station. That they hadn't immediately been challenged was odd, and the situation got weirder the closer they got - like the lights were on, but nobody was home.

 

The rational part of her brain told her that there were dozens of reasons this might be, communications malfunction or the crew simply being lax in their discipline were the two most likely options, they were in the middle of nowhere after all. On the other hand, Jenny had been ambushed too many times to take that on faith and was well-aware that there were other, less innocent reasons that the outpost might not appear populated.

 

Glancing to the Science station, where she had placed Alken to get him some much-needed Bridge time, Jenny leaned on the armrest of her chair to see what his console was showing him. Though it would be easier to call up the data on her own console, she didn't want to interrupt anything he was doing, nor did she want to startle him by moving over to stand behind him. Unfortunately, the older gentleman was tall enough to block most of the view, so she levered herself out of her chair and quietly approached him from the side.

 

"What have you got?"

 

==Tag Alken==


  • 0

#64 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.05 @ 02:04 (02:04 AM)

>>Engineering>>

 

By the time Benjamin made it to the bridge, he was on his second mug of coffee. Considering how quiet things were on the bridge, he was very glad that he had it. He stepped off the turbolift inhaling the warm fumes of the sweet elixir, and thanking the stars that he had it in hand.

 

Looking around the bridge, he was only mildly surprised to see Jenny over a scientist's shoulder on the far side of the room. If the Artemis' first officer ever slept, it was a closely guarded secret: after all, the woman could show no weakness. But the bridge was quiet for the most part otherwise, and so he took a seat at the bridge engineering console and punched up the basics. Diagnostics showed green where expected, the secondary deflector appeared to have done well during their short jaunt, and the damage to the main deflector didn't appear to have spread. All good things, he thought, though he was still upset that they couldn't have done more to fix the deflector in the field.

 

He'd been inclined to try and argue for a bit, but as the damage reports had kept coming from the area he'd known it was the wrong argument to make. They needed more resources than they had available with just Artemis, and this repair facility was the closest thing to them, closer even than the Scott was. So, options lacking and the decision never really his, they had pressed on. Sitting back in his chair, he sipped on his coffee quietly, not wanting to disturb the atmosphere on the bridge, and waited to see what this station was all about.

 

==Tags?==


  • 0

#65 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.07 @ 17:01 (05:01 PM)

== After the time jump ==
 
It had felt like a crash course in bridge operations as the Artemis had made its way to the repair station, a voyage of just under two day cycles. To his relief, it had been someone else who had actually crashed the explorer into the mines. The immediate threat of a mine deep within the starship had raised tensions and fears, though few showed it around him, with that threat now diminished there was opportunity for a deep sigh of relief. Or so he thought. 
 
His heart rate elevated suddenly at the sound of quiet footsteps hidden in his blind spot, only for that tension to be exasperated by the voice that betrayed the identity of the officer who now stood next to his station.
 
“Ma’am,” he found himself suddenly more alert to the analysis of the station before them as she quizzed him about what the sensors were divulging. 
 
“Life support systems appear to be online. It’s certainly habitable, but we have no life signs.”
 
He briefly made eye contact with his bosses boss, before retreating back into the data. 
 
Now on the display was a tall obelisk structure that represented the frame of the station.
 
“I’d guess these are maintenance hangers.” 
 
The display rotated, throwing the obelisk on its back as Ed motioned his fingers across the console. Now two branches were creating a ring on the display.
 
“These arms forming a ring seem designed for mooring and refueling.”
 
Ed looked back at the woman. 
 
“It’s a foreign but practical design. No weapons that I can determine across the structure, and nothing that I can discern as any other vessels moored to the exterior. That could be evidence of abandonment if they saw us coming, they might have left the lights on in a rush.”
 
He motioned his hands to realign the sensor suite. 
 
“I’m scanning for any recent ship emissions that might help date the last visitors.”
 
The sensors set about their work.
 
“Much like we’d find evidence of a ranking officer orbiting her way around bridge duty stations. We should find some evidence of starships orbiting this station.” 
 
He let slip a smirk, an indication that he was sharing a joke with his superior.
 
== GM Input - Any sensor evidence of historic starship activity around the stations perimeter? Would this indicate a discernable date of it’s suspected abandonment? == 

  • 0

#66 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22105.07 @ 18:09 (06:09 PM)

There were signs of an ion trail that led both to and away from the base's main docking port, partially-degraded by time. The computer could not match the trail to anything in the database.

 

The trails looked to be about a month old, give or take an hour or two.


  • 0

#67 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.08 @ 01:46 (01:46 AM)

Benjamin took another sip from his cup and sighed as the warmth spread through his chest. He tried not to, but with how quiet the bridge was at one in the morning, he couldn't help but hear snatches of the conversation between the scientist Alken and Jenny. He pulled up a visual of the station on his console and noted the docking bays he heard about, and noted they'd be likely ingress points for a shuttle, along with seeing the arms spread out like the edges of a lagoon.

 

It wasn't as enclosing as he was used to for a facility like this - he was used to the Federation standard that had structures on two or three sides at minimum - he had to admit that at least aesthetically it was a bit more interesting. It really does look like a safe harbor, he thought, though he wondered if it really was such as he caught the scientist trying to see if any ships had been in and out recently, and noted how their hails hadn't been answered.

 

As the science station scanned the areas around the station, Benjamin took it upon himself to try and get a little more information about the station itself. He did a quick scan first and foremost for any damage on the station and weapons residuals; if the crew were taken or killed and it wasn't by choice, there should be some kind of evidence. However, he pressed on with other scans - even if they weren't here, they had to try and get their ship fixed, and without the deflector fixed they couldn't exactly do much to try and help if the crew really were in danger. He directed a scan at the large station arms, trying to determine if the obvious location - inside the curve of the arms - was in fact where the mooring beams were located, and if so whether they could be activated by a ship coming in rather than by the station itself. We may just have to sit at station-keeping for a minute, he thought, until we can get a crew to their traffic control station.

 

==GM Input: Is there any damage I can find to the station that might indicate foul play? And can I figure out how to get the Artemis docked to the station so we can work on her?==


  • 0

#68 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.09 @ 17:00 (05:00 PM)

The scans of the space directly beyond the hull of the station revealed weak ion particles that followed a intended path as if a ship slowly navigated to depart the stations moorings. Edward was sure that should the Artemis have wanted they could have pursued that trail of ionised breadcrumbs across the Delta Quadrant in search of the last ship to make use of this abandoned gas station. 
 
What tempered the Midshipman's expectations was the corrosion of those ion samples in space, worn and diluted by the effects of time - to the computer's analysis the Artemis was a month too late to meet the last occupants of the abandoned station.
 
“We are about a month too late to see the station's former tenants depart. Ion trials indicate this station hasn’t been repairing or refueling anyone for some time.” 
 
He pushed his focus back to the station's exterior hull. 
 
It would be bad luck if they no longer have the capabilities to repair the Artemis. 

  • 0

#69 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.10 @ 03:44 (03:44 AM)

>> Ready Room >>

When Tyra and Jasmine stepped out onto the bridge, it was impossible to ignore that the ship's command center was busier than it would usually be at this odd time of day. However, it had been no mystery when they would arrive at their destination and like her, it seemed others had made a point to be on duty for arrival. After all, this wasn't exactly a normal time for Jasmine to pay a visit but the coffee had certainly helped both of them.

Jasmine had immediately veered to following the curve of the bridge towards the turbolift, leaving Tyra to cut across the bridge on her own. In doing so, she made note that the bridge was currently a mix of green needing experience and senior officers, though even those had gotten greener and greener than they had been in years past.

Her blue eyes flickered towards the forward screen, taking in the imagine with the slightest of eyebrow raise at the unique design displayed. It's lack of activity on screen wasn't exactly promising.

"What have we got here?" She asked to the bridge as a whole.
  • 0

#70 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.10 @ 13:34 (01:34 PM)

Jenny folded her arms as Alken spoke, explaining that the design likely wasn't Talaxian, which made sense - it had the same homey feel that Jenny would expect from Talaxians based on what she had experienced of them, giving off the impression of a harbour safe from the stormy weather of a tempestuous sea. Given the state of the Artemis, a safe harbour was a welcome sight, or would have been if there was anyone around to actually welcome them...

 

Focusing on the screen, Jenny missed Alken's comment about the orbits of senior officers. The whole situation seemed odd; the lights were on, but nobody was home.

 

Just like half of the Artemis crew some days...

 

“We are about a month too late to see the station's former tenants depart. Ion trials indicate this station hasn’t been repairing or refueling anyone for some time.” 

 

Jenny frowned, a month was a long time for a station to continue operating without a crew; had the crew abandoned it in a hurry and forgotten to shut down the power? That seemed unlikely, given a ship had apparently arrived at the station and then departed. Though she couldn't see any signs of damage on the scientific screen, that didn't mean the station hadn't been attacked and the crew either killed or spirited away - neither of which boded well for the crippled Artemis.7

 

The hiss of the Ready Room doors alerted Jenny to Tyra's arrival on the Bridge, but two pairs of footsteps seemed to emerge. One was the familiar stride of the Artemis' Captain, the other was the lighter step of Jas Tyrol. While Tyrol headed for the turbolift, Tyra went to her chair as expected, and Jenny heard the footsteps stop at roughly the centre of the command area of the Bridge.

 

"What have we got here?"

 

Without looking over her shoulder, Jenny responded.

 

"Well, we're here, but it doesn't look like anyone else is. Mister Alken here thinks the owners left about a month ago, but it looks like they left everything running."

 

Folding her arms, Jenny straightened, still staring at the science console.

 

"If they did leave in a hurry, we might be able to use whatever facilities they have to conduct repairs ourselves. On the other hand, if whoever left a month ago comes back, they might not be pleased to find us helping ourselves to their base. We should probably hide the Artemis while a team goes across to check things out."


  • 0

#71 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22105.10 @ 16:17 (04:17 PM)

==Elias==

 

There seemed to be no damage to the exterior of the station that would indicate an attack from outside, nor did there appear to be any problems with the docking areas that would prevent the ship from berthing.

 

The main hangar area, located in the central section, looked as though it could just about accommodate the front half of the Artemis. Any repair work would have to be conducted in EVA suits, but it would be safer than attempting such a repair in deep space or orbit of the planet below.

 

Alternatively, the Artemis could interface with any of the docking ports along the two pylons.


  • 0

#72 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.10 @ 20:41 (08:41 PM)

It was Jenny that spoke up from her position leaning over science, detailing a rather unusual situation that seemed to involve a supposedly empty, yet potentially operational facility.

Before answering, Tyra glanced at the screen, looking for signs of damage on the station's exterior but not finding anything that would warrant an abandonment. Then again, maybe it was as simple as having run out of resources or growing tired of such an isolated existence.

"If they did leave in a hurry, we might be able to use whatever facilities they have to conduct repairs ourselves. On the other hand, if whoever left a month ago comes back, they might not be pleased to find us helping ourselves to their base. We should probably hide the Artemis while a team goes across to check things out."

Tyra clicked her tongue slightly. "On the other hand, hiding the ship might just make our presence appear nefarious when it isn't..." she mused.

Then, she waved her hand slightly. "Actually, why don't I leave that decision in the care of your tactician mindset while I take a small team over to survey the facility? I'd like to see for myself if this is a place we can make work or if we need to find another way."

There was more to the thought process than that. Should angry residents return, Jenny might not be the most diplomatic but her tactical abilities far exceeded Tyra's, which meant she was more suited to ensuring the Artemis remained in one piece. Alternatively, a house with a light on was likely not without its security precautions and that was her forte. Plus, she wasn't certain she trusted Jenny not to grow impatient and set something off, despite her doing well with the bomb.
  • 0

#73 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.11 @ 01:13 (01:13 AM)

It didn't take long for his scans to provide results. There were no signs of any damage, ruling out a battle taking place. Also, the docking systems seemed to be working just fine, from everything he could tell. It would be just possible to pull the Artemis' nose into one of the docking bays if they wanted to, as well, though the more obvious solution was docking at the arms, likely as was intended. Inside the bay would help contain the work area a bit more than working at the arms would, but would also make it more difficult to leave in a hurry if that proved necessary. Always a few trade-offs, he thought, though he thought he knew which route the Artemis would be taking.

 

Benjamin turned around as he heard another door open, and was unsurprised to see Tyra walking out of her ready room. Seeing the CMO walk out was a bit more of a surprise - he hadn't had more than a handful of encounters with her, even less if you didn't count staff meetings - but from what Cera had told him she was old friends with the captain. So maybe it wasn't as surprising to see them talking late at night like that, though he wasn't surprised to see her walking off the bridge. Tyra took her seat moments later and asked "What have we got here?" to his complete lack of surprise.

 

He took another sip of his coffee instead of speaking up, as Jenny spoke up first - also to his lack of surprise. "Well, we're here," she said, "but it doesn't look like anyone else is. Mister Alken here thinks the owners left about a month ago, but it looks like they left everything running." The commander crossed her arms and kept staring at the science console as she continued. "If they did leave in a hurry, we might be able to use whatever facilities they have to conduct repairs ourselves. On the other hand, if whoever left a month ago comes back, they might not be pleased to find us helping ourselves to their base. We should probably hide the Artemis while a team goes across to check things out."

 

He watched as the captain seemed to consider their options for a moment. Should they use the station anyway to repair themselves and risk looking like looters? And what happens if they come back while we're working? He was only slightly surprised when he heard her say she was going to leave the Artemis in Jenny's hands while she led the away team herself. Tyra was definitely a hands-on person, after all.

 

He judged this a good time to chime in, or at least the best time he'd been provided so far. "As best as I can tell, the station itself is undamaged, so if whatever ship came by a month ago really did abduct everyone, they went willingly. All the docking facilities look to be perfectly functional, too, in case we do decide to try and work on the deflector here." He took another sip from his coffee before setting it down on his console. "I mean, at this point our options are here or trying to get the Scott to meet us somewhere, and much as I'd like to work with Star Fleet materials it'd be better for  us to get this done sooner rather than later."

 

==Tags to bridge==


  • 0

#74 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.12 @ 13:03 (01:03 PM)

A flurry of starfleet uniforms had poured from turbolifts and ready rooms onto the bridge as the Artemis had completed its crawl towards the abandoned repair station.
 
Now that the Artemis was within throwing distance of the abandoned station the bridge had reached peak activity. Sensor data needed analysed, conclusions drawn and a new direction set. 
 
Edward understood the process well. He had donned his lab coat on many occasions. First he required patience to wait for data from the experiment or microscopic analysis. Secondly he would draw conclusions from what he had uncovered. Finally, deciding how best to proceed with the study he would leap, making a commitment to explore further. 
 
Ed’s eyes were now on the woman who would have to do all of that. Not in the familiar laboratory, not donning a white coat, but in principle using the same process. He didn’t envy his Captain, the weight of decisions in this room often far outweighed the weight of the decisions back in multi purpose laboratory three. There a mistake had the potential to end his life alone, here she had the Artemis crew on her conscience. 
 
It was the voice of another man, Elias, the Engineering officer that pulled his eyes away from the woman as she absorbed the information. 
 
It wasn’t what he said, but what he was doing that caught his attention. 
 
Between reports he would retreat towards a mug that he had propped atop of the bridges engineering station. 
 
Only an engineering officer would be willing to risk that spilling across a bridge console
 
The botanist humoured himself knowing that he wasn’t prepared to risk such a spillage.
 
Curiosity had now gotten the better of the newly minted bridge officer.
 
Ed peered over his shoulder to ensure the first officer was not focused on his display, and reconfiguring briefly to internal sensors he activated the bridge’s own sensor suite. With two fingers he magnified towards the mug resting on its perch atop of the engineering console. The metallic compounds of the mug were the first to be identified. Then with further magnification he had his answer… coffee. 
 
A coffee would be good right about now. 
 
Even the thought had forced Ed to consider if he could smell its aroma travelling across the bridge.
 
== GM input - What blend of coffee does Elias drink? ;) == 

  • 0

#75 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.12 @ 21:12 (09:12 PM)

The conversation continued, and Jenny began to split her attention between the viewscreen and the continually-updating sensor readings on the science console; the situation was a mystery, and while she liked a good mystery, she preferred them in novel form - she was not Hercule Poirot, nor Nikki Heat. While she had the intellect to solve a problem like a mysteriously disappearing repair station crew, she lacked the patience to wait for the investigation to be completed before jumping to a conclusion - her method was far more blunt and direct, often employing Rapid Response Teams and Gunships when a single detective would get far more accomplished.

 

"On the other hand, hiding the ship might just make our presence appear nefarious when it isn't..." Tyra mused from closer to her chair. "Actually, why don't I leave that decision in the care of your tactician mindset while I take a small team over to survey the facility? I'd like to see for myself if this is a place we can make work or if we need to find another way."
 
Jenny tensed - she knew that as First Officer, she was duty-bound to remind Tyra that as Captain, she was technically forbidden from entering a potentially hostile environment. Furthermore, as a Fleet Commander in everything but name, she was far too important to risk in such a manner. She also knew, however, that Tyra was stubborn as a mule and would not be told no for several reasons - one, such things were her calling as a Security Officer; two, her ship was damaged and was in need of repairs; and three, though Tyra had served as Chief Tactical Officer for five months while she was aboard the Gettysburg, that had been mostly an administrative role to ease her into the Chief of Security position while Jenny had built a career around it.
 
Doesn't mean you have to like it...
 
"Obviously for the record, I disagree with you leading the team personally, but we do need to scout out the station."
 
Elias took that opportunity to speak up, confirming Jenny's suspicion that the station was undamaged and that had the inhabitants left voluntarily, it had been for a reason other than some kind of catastrophic failure. They'd still left in a hurry, though, which left her feeling on-edge.
 
As best as I can tell, the station itself is undamaged, so if whatever ship came by a month ago really did abduct everyone, they went willingly. All the docking facilities look to be perfectly functional, too, in case we do decide to try and work on the deflector here. I mean, at this point our options are here or trying to get the Scott to meet us somewhere, and much as I'd like to work with Star Fleet materials it'd be better for us to get this done sooner rather than later."
 
Poor Elias had forgotten the damage to the subspace antennae which had prevented them calling the Scott for help in the first place, Jenny put that down to being overworked and not getting enough sleep.
 
"Well volunteered! You can see whether or not their equipment is compatible with ours."
 
Turning back to the science station to ask the Midshipman whether or not he could find a convenient space to hide the Artemis if required, Jenny noticed he was using the internal sensors to spy on Elias' mug. Raising an eyebrow and with a small smirk on her face, she leaned in over Alken again.
 
"Any interesting anomalies in the Lieutenant's mug?"

  • 0

#76 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22105.12 @ 21:17 (09:17 PM)

==Good thing I waited, otherwise I'd have incurred the wrath of the CD! Never incur the wrath of the CD!==

 

The smell of Elias' coffee was somewhat diluted by the time it crossed the Bridge, mostly whisked away by the ventilation system. What remained was mixed with the aroma of the mug resting in the cupholder on the First Officer's chair, the tea being sipped by the Petty Officer at Communications, and the cold-air smell of the vent above the turbolift door beside him.

 

Best guess, Elias liked his coffee brown, and in a mug. 


Edited by GM-18, Star Date 22105.12 @ 21:21 (09:21 PM).

  • 0

#77 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.13 @ 12:03 (12:03 PM)

Ed jumped as the First Officer caught him out. His adrenaline heightening and the colour in his face quickly becoming a shade more crimson. 
 
Recognising her smirk, he offered a smirk back.  
 
“Nothing to report ma’am.”
 
Realising he couldn’t leave it there he sighed.
 
“The flaw of every scientist… curiosity.”
 
The Botanist had instantly reverted his console from the internal sensors back to the external sensors, and towards the task at hand. An effort to flee from any potential conversation about the misuse of the bridges sensors by Commander Braggins.
 
The majority of eyes on the bridge were focused on the absence of any life onboard the station, and whether the repair bays could facilitate the much needed repairs of the Artemis. Ed’s lens had returned to the trail of ionised breadcrumbs that he had first detected and dated as the last potential starship to have visited the station. 
 
He had been able to analyze the first of those crumbs, allowing the plotting of a potential flight path leading away from the station, but it would require concentrated efforts of the entire sensor suite in order to plot a long range trajectory. The further they were from the breadcrumbs, the more Ed would have to squint to try and discern what was now a fickle and degraded trail over time. Trying to make sense of the ionised breadcrumbs from a distance also meant he could make mistakes in plotting the course of the yet unknown starship.
 
He focused on the wider lens of the system, doing his best to make some educated plots. The wider concern now was the question of the strategic importance of the location. 
 
“Ma’am,” he quizzed the first officer who was still in close proximity. “What's the repair station doing out here to begin with? And what might this station have known of the mines that we ran into?”
 
Unlike weeds that would self replicate with great ease across a flowerbed, mines were an intentional design feature of this space. Someone had gone to great effort to plant the mines that damaged the Artemis, and the station had only two purposes Ed could discern. 
 
He angled the system map for his superior to view. 
 
“This station could well have been strategically positioned to repair ships that were damaged traversing the minefield. Alternatively, this station could be the strategic staging area for the laying of the vast minefield we encountered. A supply and repair outpost to support a minelaying starship.” 
 
He looked towards his senior officer, offering a puzzled look on his face.
 
“Starfleet builds facilities in strategic locations. This one is here for a purpose. Wild theory - maybe those who occupied the station finished their mission. Perhaps the weeds we got caught up in were the work of the station’s owners”
 
His eyes once again focused on the station. 
 
“We could compare the engineering and design of the station against the engineering and design of the mines. That would help discern whether they share the same creator.”
 
== GM Input - Anything interesting about the flight path can Ed identify from the unknown starships ionised emissions? ==
 
== Tag Braggins! ==

  • 0

#78 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.14 @ 14:56 (02:56 PM)

Jenny snorted in amusement and gave her head a small shake at Alken's reply, the older man was certainly a curious one and Jenny commended that in a junior scientist, but there was actual work to be done and he apparently needed to be kept on-task by a superior officer lest his mind (and the ship's sensors) wander to something less important. Still, it was good to be enthusiastic.

 

Going back to work, Jenny listened and scratched her chin thoughtfully as Alken began to theorise about the origins of the facility and its raison d'être. He had some good ideas, and even better questions - this was a pretty random place to put an orbital facility, especially given the inhospitable nature of the world below, so who had built it and why? These were questions that they would likely need to answer on-site, but it was good to start thinking about such questions now. The scientist did seem to be tunnel-visioning, however, assuming nefarious intent and drawing correlations between the station and the minefield that had yet to be proven.

 

"It could also have been a mining facility at some point, the planet below probably had mineral wealth before it became so volcanic. It could also have been intended as a waystation for long-range travel."

 

Glancing back at the viewscreen so she could see the station again, she turned back to the starmap Alken was showing her.

 

"The mine we hit was centuries old, it certainly wasn't constructed within the last few months. I think we can safely assume for now that the mine and this base are unrelated, but if it's something you want to investigate personally, now would be a perfect moment to volunteer for the away team and get some hands-on experience."


  • 0

#79 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.14 @ 15:25 (03:25 PM)

Ed listened to the voice of experience, and what it lacked in creative flare he did have to confess it made up for in evidence. It was plausible that the station supported mining efforts, and certainly implausible to connect an ancient mine to a relatively modern station. It was what many would have described as a syndrome many a junior officer was diagnosed with, but that was evidently more true of a man who was double the age of his peers, and in line with even his most senior officers. Ed wasn’t a young man, and a need to make a mark often led the inexperienced into fiction. It was also poor science to arrive at conclusions without evidence, but the botanist was outside of his field.
 
He once again had his eyes on the display, as the Commander graciously returned the Midshipman's feet firmly back from an indulgence in fiction. 
 
“Of course ma’am.”
 
Embarrassment had overcome him even at the suggestion. First he had been distracted with inquiries into the engineer's beverage, and now he’d let his thought process wander. 
 
She had suggested he’d volunteer for the away mission, and Ed was still the same man, eager to flee bridge duty.
 
“Captain…” 
 
His voice didn’t sound nearly as confident and outspoken as it had done in his head. This time he wasn't just addressing Commander Braggins, but the entire room.
 
“... I’d be eager to join the away mission.”
 
He wasn’t sure a botanist would be much good, the station was unlikely to have any plant life according to the sensor readings, but if it was a choice between watching sensor data from the Artemis or investigating the mysterious station, it was a no brainer for the middle aged Midshipman. 

  • 0

#80 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.15 @ 22:02 (10:02 PM)

Tyra was relieved when Jenny didn't push back against her plan, despite the fact that Jenny would have been well within her rights. In fact, Tyra wasn't certain she would have been able to reasonably push back against a logical, well-reasoned argument to the contrary, However, it was likely that Jenny saw the same logistics in their situation that she saw; they both had a very specific and refined skills sets that fit different aspects of the situation at hand and what sense would it have made to put either of them in charge of the element that wasn't their expertise. There was no one she trusted her ship with more than Jenny and that included over herself when it came to matters of pure tactics.  She wasn't sure a better tactician existed and while she hoped that the Artemis did not require her skills today, she would remiss to not utilize the talents at her disposal.
 
"Obviously for the record, I disagree with you leading the team personally, but we do need to scout out the station."
 
Tyra nodded but before she could answer, Elias spoke up with a report on the status of the station. It was good news that the the station was intact and was in a condition that might allow them to repair their damage, assuming the appropriate tools were available. However, that didn't negate her concern regarding where the stations previous inhabitants. There were only so many scenarios she could think of that could possibly explain their departure and none of them were exactly positive. 
 
Hopefully, we're not Goldilocks today.
 
"Well volunteered! You can see whether or not their equipment is compatible with ours," Jenny answered.
 
All Tyra managed was a half-shrug of apologetic agreement to Elias. "She's right. Get your gear packed, grab your sack lunch and a kiss from our lovely Quartermaster and rally up down in the shuttlebay."
 
She turned her head so that she could speak to Briggs. "Notify the shuttlebay to ready the Orion for launch," she requested of her CTO.  "We'll take a runabout just so that we're a little more self-sufficient should the Arty need to deal with some returning residents and we need to get off fast."
 
In Tyra's experience, the speed at which an objective was completed was directly related to the size of the team and as such, she wanted the expedition over to the station to be as streamlined as possible. However, given the mystery surrounding the station's current status, she didn't want to cut corners in the name of efficiency and shoot herself in the foot down the road. Engineering and security were obvious musts. Because of the Orion, a pilot was needed as well. As much as she was loath to ask security to babysit a scientist, it seemed prudent to bring one as maybe the cause of the station's emptiness was in their realm. And that left medical. This wasn't the type of assignment that warranted the curse that came with bringing a doctor and to be entirely honest, every bone in her body wanted to just request security send one of their SRT paramedics for medicine. It would be easy and it would be one less person for security to babysit but she also knew it would complicate things with Jasmine, which was an unfortunate possibility that came with extreme familiarity.
 
There's also your undying need to account for every possibility... what if Elias falls down a ladder? Or the scientist is so buried in their tricorder that they walk into the damn wall?
 
"Crawford to Coleman. I need a security escort for an exploratory expedition to the repair station -- it appears abandoned but operational. I'd rather us not look like marauding invaders if the owners return so let's keep their gear more low key and store their back-ups and full tac gear on the Orion. Have one of them bring some toys geared towards booby traps, just in case," she requested before muting her end of the channel to deal with the rest of the team assignments.
 
"Briggs, if you would do me the honor of piloting the Orion, I would appreciate it," she requested, knowing that likely the decision might seem odd when compared to her concerns regarding the possible return of the station's owner. However, Briggs had shown himself to be incredibly cool and calm under pressure while on the Megasphere, which was not something she could say for the rest of them. Jenny or McKenzie were capable of handle the tactical side of the house should the situation arise with Asil getting a chance to gain valuable experience and Briggs had the experience to know what to do should they need to evacuate the station quickly. He also had the experience to be her second in command. 
 
“Captain…” The voice was on the quiet side and Tyra wasn't sure whether she imagined a slight hitch in it or not. She turned to look at their newest science officer, who seemed to be gather his courage for a request of some sort.  “... I’d be eager to join the away mission.”
 
She arched her eyebrow as if she was asking if he was sure before offering yet another half-shrug. "Alright, you made that decision easy but be careful what you wish for. Grab whatever equipment you need and head down to the shuttlebay. We're going to launch ASAP."
 
And with that volunteering, she only had medical to hash out. In an ideal world, she'd merely ask Jasmine to send someone for the team but she knew, if she made that request, she would get a doctor. She'd be damned if she was going to accept that curse to compound whatever curses came from the Artemis crew merely breathing. No, she'd need to ask for a specific member and then, argue with Jasmine if she tried to insist on a doctor. It took less than a moment to decide on asking for Mayfair, the young augment Head Nurse. Not only had she always been pleasant when Tyra had encountered her but her reputation as a calm, level headed provider was solid. As a JG, she was already leading the nurses, who could be a very difficult group to manage, with great success. Cera, sometimes, reported that there were rumblings and complaints regarding Mayfair's heritage but it didn't seem like it had manifested into a problem. However, being hand selected for a mission by the Captain should be a step in the direction of squashing those issues. There came a time where people should be judged by their capabilities and their actions, not their history, and that was, hopefully, the direction Mayfair was moving in.
 
"Crawford to Tyrol. We're at the station and it's empty. We're going to go explore it. Can you get JG Mayfair ready and down to the shuttlebay ASAP?"
 
With that request made, she focused back on those present, looking at Jenny specifically. "We'll report back as soon as we figure out whether the station is going to be any viable help. We'll have the Orion if we need to get the Hell out of there quickly but let us know if the 3 Bears return," she said openly before stepping a little closer. 
 
"I trust you to make any decision needed for the Artemis but maybe don't paint the Jolly Roger on the hull while I'm gone... it'd be a bad look under the circumstances," she added quietly with a wink.
 
== Tag everyone! ==

  • 1

#81 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.16 @ 00:20 (12:20 AM)

Benjamin sighed when the inevitable happened. He never got the chance to volunteer for the mission, instead being voluntold to go. He simply nodded at the first officer before hearing the captain chime in. "She's right,” Tyra said. “Get your gear packed, grab your sack lunch and a kiss from our lovely Quartermaster and rally up down in the shuttlebay."

 

He had already started signing off the console when he heard the comment about Cera and nearly spilled his coffee. It was only quick reflexes and a very effective spill-proof lid that kept it from being a disaster. He wondered how the rumor mill had come up with that particular piece to spread around, or if Tyra was just teasing him - and her friend, by proxy.

 

He sighed and took his cup in hand. “Yes, ma’am,” he replied as he turned to the turbolift. “I’ll meet you there.” With that he left the bridge, as he heard them continue to arrange the away team.

 

>>Engineering>>


  • 0

#82 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22105.16 @ 15:30 (03:30 PM)

The ship's flight path approached from a similar vector to the one the Artemis was on, and continued along the same vector after interfacing with the station. Aside from that, it was unremarkable.


  • 0

#83 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.16 @ 16:06 (04:06 PM)

Ed welcomed the escape towards the abandoned outpost too eagerly. It was no secret that he preferred to be in the laboratory, pursuing science in the field than on the bridge. The atmosphere of the bridge made the Midshipman tense, uncomfortable and uncharacteristically nervous - the laboratory welcomed trial and error, he wasn’t sure the bridge welcomed anything but perfection - he preferred to be with his plants. Barely had Crawford permitted the botanist’s inclusion than was that escape tempered by caution from the experienced voice, a reminder that away missions were not for those easily disheartened or unprepared.
 
He had pushed himself away from the science console, offering a gentle nod to the First Officer who had gently encouraged the Midshipman towards this next challenge. 
 
Following the coattails of the coffee drinking engineer who was still apparently inseparable from his beverage, he gracefully followed inside the turbolift on his way towards the science complex.
 
>> Science Complex >> 

  • 0

#84 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.17 @ 12:34 (12:34 PM)

The Bridge seemed to come more alive as people began moving from their stations to proceed to their new postings aboard the away team; she was losing Briggs, Elias and Alken from the Bridge crew, which meant she would be down a reliable second in command should the excrement hit the rotary impeller, but Tyra would likely be the one who needed the cool-headed CTO most if things went sideways - the Artemis could look after herself, the Orion, not so much.

 

"We'll report back as soon as we figure out whether the station is going to be any viable help. We'll have the Orion if we need to get the Hell out of there quickly but let us know if the 3 Bears return." 
 
Jenny nodded; the Orion would give the Away Team a chance to escape should anyone decide to come snooping, but the Runabout wasn't the fastest ship in the universe and would need a head-start if it was going to outrun anything determined to do harm to its occupants.
 
"I trust you to make any decision needed for the Artemis but maybe don't paint the Jolly Roger on the hull while I'm gone... it'd be a bad look under the circumstances."
 
Jenny smirked.
 
"We haven't got anyone on punishment detail to do the job, anyway."
 
The smile faded somewhat as she glanced back at the seemingly-abandoned facility on the viewscreen. She'd been getting one of her bad feelings since Tyra had announced she was leading the away team, and despite having no empathic or telepathic talents, she'd long-ago learned to trust her gut when it came to feelings of foreboding or impending doom.
 
"Be careful over there. Neelix's people said this base is friendly, but who knows how long it's been since they last visited or contacted the crew. I don't want to be the one telling Evie her mom isn't coming back."

  • 0

#85 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.17 @ 17:22 (05:22 PM)

"We haven't got anyone on punishment detail to do the job, anyway."

The red head suppressed a snort as Jenny knew as well as she did that it would be short lived. For as smart and as capable as the crew was, they made some dumbass decisions.

"Be careful over there. Neelix's people said this base is friendly, but who knows how long it's been since they last visited or contacted the crew. I don't want to be the one telling Evie her mom isn't coming back."

As Tyra's eyes joined Jenny's in observing the station, the slightest of sighs escaped. It held a note of weariness as if it acknowledge that she'd been in this position before and hadn't really wanted to return. Because there was a vast difference between being capable of fighting and wanting to fight. Despite having made her name and reputation through numerous conflicts, she was turning into a tired soldier who was tired of meeting resistance at every turn.

"Don't worry. I literally just want to see what resources are over there for myself, not turn this station into the DQ's Alamo," she answered wryly.

"If we encounter hostiles, we'll fall back. Either entirely or to a defensive position to allow y'all to send over an actual combat element for a spear head offensive. My team isn't exactly designed for combat and I'm not overly confident they all know where their issued phasers are...."

Now, she pulled her eyes away from the screen to look at her sister in law and close friend. "If Option 2 occurs, you have my permission to leave the ship with the marine and come drag my *** off personally," she added with a wry grin, though there seemed to be a good amount of truth to the statement.

She started to turn away from the screen when she paused, putting her hand on Jenny's shoulder and squeezing. "There is no one I trust this ship, its crew and its 'VIP' passengers to more than you, and that includes myself most days. Keep her safe and we'll figure out any curveballs together," she said, giving Jenny one more squeeze before starting her trek towards the back of the bridge and the lift down.

"Oh, tell Coleman to have two team ready just in case... otherwise, I promised I wouldn't reenact the Alamo as Santa Ana but there's still plenty of other Earth battles that I could choose," she joked from the upper deck before stepping into the turbolift.

>> Shuttle Bay >>

Edited by Capt Tyra Crawford, Star Date 22105.17 @ 17:23 (05:23 PM).

  • 1

#86 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.28 @ 16:41 (04:41 PM)

Ed stepped off the turbolift onto the Bridge and gave it a look round before making his way to the Science console. If there was any trouble it could wait for him to arrive and it generally did. He was privately amused that Tyra seemed to have pulled a Picard on Jenny. These days nobody really raised an eyebrow at the Captain leaving the FO behind to lead an Away Team. For a while it had been protocol that either the FO or next senior officer lead the Away Team, of course everybody made up their own rules.

Ed settled into the chair and pulled up the most recent scans of the area. It was funny and great to know that he had a Midshipman who was considered capable enough to look after the Science console on the Bridge and go on an Away Team. The read was pretty much what he expected. Big obelisk shaped space station and one volcanic planet. The odd bit was the lack of life except he imagined for the Away Team.

He’d need to run a scan just to be sure. He was also itching to map the area. It’d give Stellar Cartography something to work through and it’d be good to continue to keep a record oft where they’d been, mostly so’s they didn’t go back. Ed had the sensors run a full spectrum scan of the station. If he got clearance he’d launch a few probes.

“Commander Braggins, I’d like to request permission to launch a few probes to map the station and the local planet. Probably class 5’s would do the job.”

There was the month-old ion emissions. Just one ship, but it looked like they’d come the same way as the Artemis and moved on. The area could definitely be filed under ‘a nice place to visit’. Between the design of the station and the state of the local planet it wasn’t the most hospitable of areas. Hopefully the Away Team would find out who had set up the station. It obvioulsy wasn't built by the Talaxians.

== GM input request, what do the sensors read off the station and are they able to detect the Away Team? ==

Edited by Cdr Edward Gregg, Star Date 22105.28 @ 16:41 (04:41 PM).

  • 0

#87 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.31 @ 01:21 (01:21 AM)

Jenny sat heavily in her chair as Tyra left, and watched the status updates of the various departments as crew were siphoned away from their normal duties to assist in the preparation and departure of the Away Team - most people outside of qualified Shuttlebay personnel didn't realise that it took over two dozen members of the crew to prepare any auxiliary craft for launch; from shuttlebay controllers who oversaw launch and recovery to the humble shuttlecraft handlers whose job it was to position the craft ready for launch. Then there were the engineers who maintained the launch systems, the support crew who ensured the launch facilities were kept clean and the craft themselves stocked with supplies, and so on. On a ship the size of the Artemis, thirty people was barely one twentieth of the overall crew, but it was a significant investment in personnel and required teamwork in ways that no other duty station in Star Fleet did.

 

Boy did Jenny miss it.

 

Command had been very much a double-edged sword for Jenny; she relished the new challenges that it offered, but she missed the simplicity of running a department or fighter squadron. The opportunities that had opened for her since trading scarlet for crimson meant that, at the very least, her daughter would be looked after without needing to rely on the Braggins or Crawford families for support, but they had also slammed doors closed. Doors like being able to be on first-name terms with the majority of the crew, like being "one of the guys", like not having to worry about a stubborn sister-in-law who insisted on being the first into danger.

 

Then there was the message she had received that morning, Priority One, from Star Fleet Command. Some thoughtful soul had decided that, as she was now considered both a war hero and one of Star Fleet's foremost tactical minds, she deserved a promotion; all she had to do was say yes, and she'd be whisked away from the Artemis, from the dysfunctional family she'd lived with for years, and be installed on her own ship or in some cubicle at Star Fleet Command with a shiny fourth pip.

 

It sucked. And yet...

 

“Commander Braggins, I’d like to request permission to launch a few probes to map the station and the local planet. Probably class 5’s would do the job.”

 

Jenny glanced over at the Science console, where Gregg had situated himself following Alken's departure. As engrossed in her own thoughts as she was, she'd not noticed his arrival. Responding with a simple nod, Jenny returned her attention to the viewscreen as it showed the Orion docking at the bottom of the base.

 

So far, so good...


  • 0

#88 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.01 @ 01:30 (01:30 AM)

A few minutes after the Orion docked, there was the faintest of scrapping noises coming from the command level of the bridge. It was soft and entirely easy to overlook for those lost in thought or engrossed in their respective tasks. It also only lasted for a second or two before seemingly disappearing into the low hum that came with life on a starship.
 
And then, it returned. It almost sounded like furniture being scrapped against something, though it sounded muted and far away. It seemed to be coming from the captain's chair. Again, it lasted for just a second or two before it was replaced by another, more distinctive noise.
 
[Heeewwoooo?]
 
Jenny would recognize the voice immediately as that of her niece/goddaughter, Evie, and likely would have remembered that Tyra had asked engineering to install a direct line from her quarters to her chair and her ready room so that she could speak directly to Evie when needed without going through her husband or whoever was watching the little girl in their absence. At one time, it had been so that Tyra could say good night to the little girl when she was unable to leave the bridge but as Evie inched closer to her 3rd birthday, it had also turned into a bit of a security blanket, allowing Evie to reach Tyra regardless of who was watching her. Because no one was quite as reassuring as mom, even with the large support network Evie had in place. 

  • 0

#89 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.01 @ 22:46 (10:46 PM)

Ed was somewhat concerned when he got just a nod in response from Jenny. He still wasn’t certain of who she was, but she had reached the status of First Officer. He could do empathy, but he was crap at the interpersonal stuff. He readied four class 5’s for launch and was considering asking Jenny if she’d like a mug of tea or coffee when a voice emanated from the comm. unit in Tyra’s chair.

[Heeewwoooo?]

Rubber duck!

It took Ed more than a few seconds to recall that some of the crew’s children had come on the journey to the Delta Quadrant. William had been at the Halloween Party dressed as Puber T. Addams. He hadn’t been keeping track of how many youngsters were onboard, but there was only one child likely to have direct access to the Captain. That was a something that chilled him. He was wondering now why Tyra hadn’t put him in the Brig or out the nearest airlock for his impatience.

Unintentionally endangering the crew was one level of stupid, but unknowingly endangering children was not so easily dismissed. Somewhere on the ship there was a child with access to the Captain who had managed to call the Bridge. That would cause any adult to panic. Ed liked children, but he wasn’t always certain of his charms. The probes were prepped and flight paths readied he wasn’t sure he’d be able to focus on them until the recent caller had been placated if required.

“Commander?”
  • 0

#90 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.02 @ 13:28 (01:28 PM)

Jenny had gone back to mulling over the possibilities for her future, either leaving the family that was the Artemis or committing career suicide by turning down the promotion, when a sound distracted her. It sounded like someone was dragging a chair, but all of the chairs on the Bridge were secured to the deck for obvious reasons. Then the sound happened again, and it was coming from the armrest of the chair she was sitting in; specifically, from the speakers.

 

[Heeewwoooo?]

 

The instantly-recognisable voice of little Evie Grayson brought a smile to her face, that disappeared almost instantly; Evie knew the rules about using the direct line, it had to be something serious not just because she was bored, and the precocious toddler had usually followed those rules. Now seemed to be one of those momentary lapses, and it was down to Aunty Jenny to deal with it. How did you tell someone who wasn't quite three that their mother wasn't even on the same ship any more?

 

“Commander?”

 

Jenny glanced up at Gregg, and silently waved him on to do whatever it was he was doing with the Probes while also indicating that she'd handle it. Taking a breath, Jenny straightened in her chair and hoped she'd be able to find a balance between being affectionate towards her niece, and still maintaining discipline on the Bridge. Someone had once told her that Starship Command wasn't much different from parenting, but there was a big difference between dealing with children, and a crew who might sometimes act like children...

 

"Hey Evie, sweetie. What's up? Are you okay?"


  • 0

#91 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.06 @ 23:04 (11:04 PM)

There was a moment of silence, counted off by another faint scrapping noise. In fact, the scrapping noise was rather rhythmic as if the source was rocking back and forth against something harder and sturdier.
 
[Hi.] The word was quiet, almost shy sounding, and punctuated by a sniffle. Evie wasn't typically one for being shy, having made herself very well known among the crew during her frequent outings.
 
[I... There's...] There was another sniffle. [There's somet'ing here. Under m-my b-bed. I's loud.]
 
As if on cue, there was a muffled sound in the background that sounded like air being sucked out of an airlock before rattling back out like some sort of space faring freight train. It didn't sound like it was being muffled by walls or a great deal of distance.
 
[Auntie...] The little girl's voice, punctuated by another sniffle, increased an octave in panic. 

  • 0

#92 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.07 @ 22:18 (10:18 PM)

As Jenny quietly waved Ed back to his work he hoped she did have everything under control. Children could be problematic if agitated, but as long as she had things in-hand he didn’t really have anything to worry about. Ed turned himself back to getting the probes launched. It was straight forward enough. Just launch four class 5 probes. Have two map the station and two start on the volcanic planet.

There wasn’t that much to station at first glance, There might be more. He’d find out soon enough, maybe. There were always new mysteries. He could reassign the other two to the planet once he was done with the station. Ed hoped he was in the clear this time, if he was really luck there’d be nothing but some prototypical geology. Somebody had been here a month ago hopefully they didn’t leave any surprises.

With the probes launched and on their designate paths Ed listened to see how Jenny was coping with Evie. It sounded ominous. Monsters under the bed was a childhood terror common mostly to Earth. He didn’t know if it occurred with children in other systems. The worst bit was in space things under a child’s bed weren’t always a figment of the child’s imagination.

Ed was curious, a common affliction to most Science officers. If there was something on the ship it should show up in the internal sensors. This was theoretical. It could be something entirely unexpected. He had to trust Jenny would know best. He’d at least be able to keep her informed if necessary.

== GM input request, do the probes pick up anything of note about the station or the planet on the first scan? Also is there something on the internal sensors that wasn’t there when the Artemis left New Talax?==
  • 0

#93 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22106.08 @ 12:33 (12:33 PM)

After the first orbit, the limited information that the probes had gleaned indicated that the planet below might have once been mineral-rich before the volcanic activity had essentially turned the surface into quagmire of molten rock and toxic gases; which suggested that the base might have originally been established to facilitate in the repair and refit of mining vessels and cargo transfer to ore haulers.

 

Internal sensors did not detect anything untoward aboard ship, but every experienced Science Officer knew that sensors were famously unreliable at the worst possible moments.


  • 0

#94 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1759 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.09 @ 14:21 (02:21 PM)

Alarms were already going off in Jenny's head, her maternal instinct triggered by the sudden pause and Evie's uncharacteristic shyness; the young girl was as rambunctious as most toddlers, and always wanted to talk the ears off of whoever was within earshot. For her to be quiet and pausing meant she was unwell, or that something had gone very wrong. 

 

[I... There's...] Sniffle. [There's somet'ing here. Under m-my b-bed. I's loud.]

 

It was loud, it sounded like a broken impeller fan that was unsure which way it should be cycling. It was entirely possible that there was a fault in the ventilation system directly under young Evie's bed, but on the other hand, they were in the middle of basically-uncharted space with a giant hole in the front of the ship. Something could quite easily have slipped aboard and worked its way through the vents or Jeffries Tubes.

 

And whatever it was, if it was anything but a malfunction and a small child's imagination, might be disturbed by any Intruder Alert sirens, so this would need to be done discretely. Tapping on the armrest console, Jenny sent a message to Juice to have her report directly (and armed) to Tyra's Quarters immediately. With a nod to Eli McKenzie, now taking station at Helm to let Asil have a go at the main Tactical Console, that she was in charge, Jenny opened the weapons locker built into the side of her chair and withdrew her sidearm. 

 

[Auntie...]

 

Clipping it to her belt as she rose, she bolted to her feet at the sound of alarm in Evie's voice, and vaulted the waist-high handrail that surrounded the command area, heading for the doors at the back of the Bridge.


  • 0

#95 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.18 @ 22:16 (10:16 PM)

It looked as if whoever had been using the station to facilitate mining of the planet had dug too deep. There were still some useful minerals, but the lava and general atmosphere made the planet unfit for mining, habitation, or exploration. The fact that the internal sensors hadn’t been able to detect anything untoward shouldn’t have surprised him.

Ed still wasn’t up to speed with the fauna of the Delta Quadrant, subspace or otherwise. There could easily be something that could move between the layers of space. He hoped he was actually wrong, It wasn’t until he looked round that he realised that Jenny had left the Bridge. Since she hadn’t left him in charge that meant somebody else had got the nod. He hoped she had some backup, if it was actualy needed.

Ed wondered if he’d missed something. A vessel had been there, but they had left. Why had they left? Had something happened? He hoped there wasn’t something on the Artemis. He needed to take another look at the station. The Away Team was on the station. There hadn’t been any communication from them, but thankfully he wasn’t in charge. He could watch out for them from the science console. There were limits, so he was open to being wrong. He’d spent times just watching and there was a high probably of not being able to help.

== GM input request, do the probes find anything of note on the exterior of the station? ==
  • 0

#96 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22106.26 @ 16:23 (04:23 PM)

The exterior of the station was worn by micrometeorite impacts and solar winds, likely decades if not centuries old. Aside from that there were no details that jumped out at him as interesting.

 

Until one of the probe's sensors detected a large vessel approaching from the far side of the system, with Kazon engine emissions. Though detailed information would have to wait until the ship got nearer and the planet was no longer between the Artemis and the interloper, it was unlikely to be a fight the Artemis could win in the state she was in.


  • 0

#97 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.28 @ 22:51 (10:51 PM)

== Lieutenant Eli McKenzie ==

 

There was a time in the not so distant past where being called for bridge as relief in the middle of the night would have been salt in the open wound that was Eli's festering career goals.  She'd dreamed of being a captain of her own vessel, willing to reach that lofty goal in whatever manner was necessary, and she had made it as far as first officer, though admittedly the James Madison had hardly been a top billet when it came to command positions of choice. 
 
However, life had played a funny trick on her when it had dropped her down the ladder, first replacing her with Mihar and relegating her to helmsman of the tiny little bucket known as the Madison. Then, that half-way salvageable drop down the ladder had turned into a full on fall from grace at the appearance of the Avenger and the merging of the crews. She'd permanently lost first officer to Crawford and had lost her helms chair to Braggins, finding herself relegated to second shift helms and the shuttle bay when she was lucky.
 
Eli's entire goal had been to wait out the Krynar war on the Avenger and then, start her climb up the ladder once more, making good use of the holes left by wartime casualties. It should have been easy and it likely would have been if she had stuck to the damn plan. However, the heart was a strange thing with how its allegiance can change like the swift course of the river and she had found that her desire to leave the Avenger had slowly begun to die as time passed.  There had been something mesmerizing about the camaraderie and loyalty forged in the fire of war, creating a sense of family that she had never been able to experience. When the Avenger had gotten ripped out from under them and replaced by the Getty, it had hardly seemed like the time to abandon that family in pursuit of her aspirations and even though most of the original crew from the Avenger had scattered -- or worse -- in the wind, loyalty still held Eli in place, keeping her satisfied with her kingdom down in the shuttle bay and her occasional nights spent in the command chair.
 
Today though, she wasn't entirely certain about her current predicament. Crawford had run off to the station, seemingly displaying that she hadn't shaken the bad habits she'd learned from Derrick Grant the 2nd, and Jenny had un-characteristically bailed from the bridge as well, though that seemed slightly more understandable given her newly unlocked maternal instinct. However, that left Eli in command of a situation that she didn't fully understand -- what exactly was the priority in their plans should something go wrong? She could only assume that the safety of the wounded Artemis was priority but to what extent? What safeguards had been set in place to keep things on stable ground?
 
The mix breed crinkled her nose, her faint ridges becoming evident for a brief second before settling back down. She ran a hand over her dark hair as she leaned back in the captain's seat, telling herself that she needed to not worry so much. After all, their luck wasn't nearly as bad as it had been on the Avenger or even, the Gettysburg.... well, finding the Borg hadn't been great luck but still, they weren't specifically at war and they weren't at the heart of a civil war this time so Eli was still willing to count it as better luck.

  • 0

#98 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1251 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.29 @ 21:26 (09:26 PM)

There wasn’t much of interest to the exterior of the station. It had suffered from micrometeorites and solar winds. A half-decent shielding system would have helped. Ed puzzled over who could have placed the station. It might date back to the same era as the system with those mines. His ponderings got interrupted when one of the probes detected a vessel on approach. That was problematic depending on their intent.

“Lieutenant McKenzie, one of the probes has picked up a large vessel with Kazon engine emissions on approach.”

Ed wondered if he’d missed something. The outgoing emissions were a month old. With time the degradation of particles wouldn’t give an accurate sample, but it might be enough for even a minimal match, if it was the same vessel. He was having a bit of a Three Bears feeling seeing the vessel approach on the sensors.

He was relatively sure that someone would have done a scan for lifesigns. He had done a full spectrum sweep, but maybe a scan for lifesigns on the station was called for. Ed ran the scan while the Computer worked on a comparison of the two emission readings. The Artemis wasn’t ready for a fight. Engineering would have started work on repairs once the Away Team had given the all clear, but there had been no communication from the Away Team.

Who’s been eating my porridge? Let’s hope they’re open to a little diplomacy. Do wonder what Jenny’s found.

== GM input request, do the emission readings match and what is the result of the lifesign scan of the station? ==
  • 0

#99 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.29 @ 23:36 (11:36 PM)

== Lieutenant Eli McKenzie ==
 
Eli's half-slump in the command chair -- an unprofessional posture that she was certain would have garnered her a good smack to the back of the head had the chair's owner magically appeared on the bridge -- was quickly right as science reported in.
 
“Lieutenant McKenzie, one of the probes has picked up a large vessel with Kazon engine emissions on approach," Gregg reported calmly as if he was reporting something as innocuous as the migration patterns of a local avian species instead of the migration pattern of the local bully.
 
 Eli partially shifted, her big silver eyes staring at Gregg for a moment with her mouth opening into a grimace. This was the exact situation she was worried about. She hadn't been briefed on whether they were suppose to gather the away team before beating a hasty retreat because she had to assume the plan was to retreat given their current situation. Jenny hadn't told her as much when she'd fled the bridge but she had also had larger matters on her mind... well, larger at the time. 
 
"McKenzie to Braggins. J, you need to get back here immediately. Probes picked up inbound Kazon. No idea if they've seen us yet but it's only a matter of time," she reported, her words clipped and serious in a manner that her boss turned friend would recognize as her business tone.
 
With the bad news delivered, her silver eyes shifted to helms. "Helm, start plotting some escape routes and be prepared to move ASAP."
 
"Science, any ideas for minimizing our appearance on their sensors? I'd rather not be a... what do Humans call it? A Christmas tree?" Her tone sounded a little puzzled at the end before she shrugged it off and began to assess the probe's data.
 
It was imperative that Eli focus on the probe because every fiber of her being wanted to contact the Captain on the station but she knew that such a burst of communications might bring them onto the enemy's radar pre-preemptively. The probe, a great idea on Gregg's part it seemed, had given them plenty of warning. The vessel was on the other side of a planet and there was a chance that they had not been able to pick up the Artemis yet. It was a chance that might allow the Artemis to be in a better position to save itself and maybe, its team, depending on the decisions made.  It was on Eli to start gathering all that information so that Jenny could make the best decision possible.
 
== GM Input: Can the computer estimate how long until the other vessel would be within sensor range? Other than the planet, are there any other significant features in the planetary system, like an asteroid field or I don't know, a conveniently placed mini-nebula? ==

  • 0

#100 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.29 @ 23:56 (11:56 PM)

[Crawford to Artemis. Hostiles are in bound, disengage from current position and evacuate the area immediately. Send security and medical reinforcements if possible  but security of the Artemis is priority. I repeat Artemis security priority, evacuate area immediately.]


  • 0