#1 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.19 @ 01:37 (01:37 AM)

==The Ready Room is a roughly square room, accessed from the corridor of Deck 1. In the top left corner are the doors; the door on the left wall providing access from the corridor, and the door on the top wall providing access to the Captain's personal washroom.

In the top right corner of the room sits the Captain's desk, with one chair behind and two chairs in front. Behind the desk is holding several models of starships; the Artemis, the Voltaire, and the Philadelphia. Also present is a helmet, identical to those flown by Attack Fighter pilots, basecoated black with a realistic wolf motif painted on the main surfaces. Just above the visor, two violet eyes stare out from the brown-and-grey fur. Underneath the desk is a dog bed and water bowl for the Rylan Thunderwolf, Raiju.

Across from the desk is the viewport, which has a couch underneath it and a small coffee table in front of it. A Replicator is mounted to the wall next to this table.==

#2 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.10 @ 01:03 (01:03 AM)

Jenny frowned as she read the orders on the PADD before her eyes, and tried to quell the frustration the latest communique from Star Fleet Command inspired within her. Though she had known that Commander Velaul would be returning to Earth for medical evaluation following her assault, and that Lieutenant Commander ch'Alev was rotating out to the Titania, she had not expected Star Fleet to be leaning on her, pressuring her to take their recommendation for the First Officer position. Nor was she particularly happy that her new Helm Officer was a woman with a career record spottier than hers; someone at Star Fleet was, as her father liked to say, 'having a laugh'.

They're giving me a Security Lieutenant Commander, and a Tactical Commander who took a rank reduction to take this position. Almost like those are my options.

Glancing out of the window, Jenny could see the mammoth USS Jupiter holding position in a parking orbit not far from the Philadelphia. Her replacement officers and crew were aboard that ship, ready to beam aboard the moment the priority work was complete; and once the Scott had finished beaming spare components for the Philadelphia aboard. The fact Star Fleet had gotten the "three musketeers" together and dispatched to Jateran quickly was something of a miracle, though the two week wait had strained the Philadelphia and her crew as they tried to heal the wounds their arrival had caused to the planet and its people.

Apparently there's an Ambassador aboard the Jupiter, too. That will be interesting.

Glancing back down at the PADD with the orders transmitted a little too gleefully by Edwin Khumalo, Jenny rubbed her head and tried to force the growing headache back into nonexistence. The last thing she needed was a power play aboard, and with two decidedly-senior Department Heads aboard to embark, that was exactly what she was going to have. There needed to be an established First Officer in place before they boarded, and that presented another problem. She had five Department Heads aboard, none of whom were more senior than a Lieutenant; Hydish was too young and too new; K'Ehley and Hurst were both scientists and while Jenny felt they would make excellent First Officers on ships within the boundaries of the Federation, our here beyond the safety of those rules and regulations, she needed someone with more 'practical' skills; Jenifer Sharp, her Quartermaster, had those skills but had let them atrophy during her time as the ship's resident bean-counter; that left one. The thought of asking Jensen to be her permanent First Officer was equally ironic and entertaining; while initially she'd done it out of necessity ()which it still was), now she felt that he might actually be a decent fit - she needed someone she knew, and knew could stand their ground. Jensen was a stick in the mud with another stick rammed so far up his backside she could see it every time he spoke, but he stuck by his guns and refused to be browbeaten.

He's never going to believe it, and Sierra's going to think I've gone insane...

Putting the PADD down, Jenny closed her eyes and sighed, before tapping her commbadge.

"Braggins to Jensen, please report to my Ready Room immediately."

#3 LCdr Peter Jensen

LCdr Peter Jensen

• First Officers
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • First Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.10 @ 15:44 (03:44 PM)

Peter's voice sounded in reply:

[On my way, sir]

A few minutes later, the door buzzed and when he entered, he came to attention, though he did not click his heels, and announced: "Reporting as ordered".

He had spent the entire trip from the security office to here wondering what he was being summoned for. Had she finally decided to get rid of him?

When he learned the actual reason he'd been summoned, his eyes widened and he was left speechless. That, he had not expected at all. The few moments before he responded felt like hours to him, but eventually, he cleared his throat and answered:

"Captain...if I may speak freely?"

"I am incredibly honored. And if you stand by the offer, then I accept it, with fear and trembling", he went on, "But I must say that I am....well, beyond surprised. I had the distinct impression that you neither like me, nor respect my abilities, and was looking for an excuse to replace me. So I was surprised that you tapped me, and not LCdr ch'Alev when we returned from Jateran. Even more so now. I accept, if you stand by the offer", he repeated, "But...I must warn you. I will not be a yes-man. I will tell you when I perceive flaws and weaknesses in your suggested course - like I did on the bridge with the Crystalline Entity....where I actually believe you chose right, by the way", he interjected. "But on my honor: I will never undermine you. I will present alternatives when I see them. And when you make a call, I will enforce any legal order you give, of course. Any disagreements, I will bring up with you in the privacy of this chamber"; he gestured around to indicate the Ready Room. "In short: If you are serious, and want a First Officer who will back you all the way in public, and tell you in private when he thinks you're wrong...then I accept", he finished, awed by the oppressive honor being bestowed upon him from the most unlikeliest of sources.

== Taggity :D ==

#4 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.10 @ 23:31 (11:31 PM)

Jenny looked up as Jensen entered, noticing how he came immediately to attention but did not snap his heels or nod his head, as he had in the past. He was learning, that was good; he was going to have a lot of learning to do in his new position, as he would be supervising a pair of officers with careers that were lengthier than has, but for whatever reason had not been elevated to the position of First Officer. As the new arrivals were already in-system and likely to embark at any moment, Jenny got straight to the point.

"Commander Velaul is being transferred to the Phlox and will be returning to Earth for medical examination, so the position of First Officer is currently vacant. We've got a bunch of new officers coming aboard who are senior enough to assume the position, but I've never met these officers and I do not trust them. I want someone from this crew in that chair, and the crew deserve as much. That person is going to be you."

Jensen was obviously stunned, likely having thought he was being transferred off the ship in favour of Bryan. He hadn't known, nor did he need to know that Star Fleet had assigned him a new Chief of Security without deeming it necessary to inform her first. While Jenny didn't need Jensen to tell her that he wasn't a yes-man and would challenge her on bad decisions in private, she appreciated that he felt comfortable making that little speech. Perhaps he'd rehearsed it in front of the mirror preparing for the day when he'd be offered such a promotion? Either way, it was gratifying to hear.

"To be clear, Lieutenant, if I wanted a yes-man there are dozens, perhaps even hundreds of political appointees just awaiting a deep-space assignment back on Earth. What I want is someone who will put the safety of the crew first, who won't let me browbeat them into agreeing to a bad course of action, but also knows to sit down and be quiet when he knows he's out of his depth. I believe that can be you. I've already entered your promotion into your personnel jacket, and recommended your promotion to Lieutenant Commander."

Jenny reached into her desk and rummaged around for a second in the top drawer, pulling out one of the mythical boxes that contained pips and sliding it across the desk to Jensen. Next she pulled two glasses from her bottom drawer and a bottle of blue fluid with barely-legible Romulan characters embossed on the glass. The lack of label didn't do a lot to hide what the beverage was from a close inspection, nor its legality, but it often meant a casual observer might overlook it and assume it was an innocuous bottle of Andorian Ale. Yanking the stopper out with her teeth, Jenny poured a small measure in each glass; they were both on duty after all.

"As of now, you're Acting Lieutenant Commander. Your personnel record tells me you haven't officially completed any formal Command Certification, but we're in the middle of nowhere, and if Command kicks up a fuss they can bite me."