HD03 - Security Cadet Simonova

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cdr Maddie Allen

Cdr Maddie Allen

• Academy Admins
  • Pip
  • 1012 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.13 @ 01:21 (01:21 AM)

== Holodeck 03 == 

#2 Cdr Maddie Allen

Cdr Maddie Allen

• Academy Admins
  • Pip
  • 1012 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.14 @ 14:10 (02:10 PM)

== Welcome to your holodeck Cadet Simonova,

Read the following information carefully, because it has a fair amount of important information for you.  If you have any questions or difficulties at any time, please contact one of the following people for assistance.  We’d be glad to help you out.

Captain Esperenson: esperenson@fed-space.com

Commander Jasal: sforcom@fed-space.net

Commander Allen: allen@fed-space.com

Remember during your time at the Academy that people have responsibilities such as school, jobs, and family, as well as maintaining our site. There are times when we may have to wait longer than we’d like for a reply to a post or a question. Patience and treating each other with respect and dignity are two things that are absolutely required of all members.

On the flip side, the Constitution states that players need to post at least twice a week.  If you find you are unable to keep up due to something coming up in real life responsibilities or you’re just going to be on holiday, please let one of the Admins know.  You can be granted a leave of absence for the length of time you think you’ll be away.  If you don’t let us know and you suddenly disappear, this could end up with you being considered AWOL and eventually removed from the active cadet roster.

Now… with all of that said, let’s get to your character’s bio!

Please begin by posting your bio using the template below. Once posted, your bio will be reviewed by an Evaluations representative. They will post comments for you and suggest any adjustments your bio might require.  Once they approve your bio, you will be assigned an instructor and your adventure will begin!

Federation Space is a written RPG. With that said, we ask that you try to pay attention to spelling and grammar in your posts.  Posts properly formatted are easier and more enjoyable for everyone to read. I strongly recommend you run your bio and any posts you make through a spell check before posting them.

Next are a few resources that can help you as you write your bio:

Be sure to check out playable races here: https://wiki.fed-spa...ory:PRC_Rated. 

Our character development page is a great resource to help you fill out your bio form: https://wiki.fed-spa...r_Development. 

Along with character development is information about the Star Fleet Academy Curriculum, including Majors and Minors: https://wiki.fed-spa...jors_and_Minors.

One last thing, please take time to read and understand our site’s canon page.  This will help you understand what 'Trek' related information is included on our site. https://wiki.fed-spa...itle=Site_Canon.

Again, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!  And as always - have fun!

== Physical Description ==

Name:

Species:

Height:

Weight:

Build/Body Type:

Complexion:

Hair Color:

Hair Style:

Eye Color:

Voice:

Off-Duty Clothing Taste:

Distinguishing Features:

== Personal History ==

Date of Birth:

Place of Birth:

Marital Status:

Siblings Name & Ages:

Mother's Name:

Father's Name:

Parent's Status:

Pets:

Best Friend:

Personal History:

== Personality ==

Academy Majors:

Academy Minors:

Hobbies & Past-Times:

Short-Term Goals:

Long-Term Goals:

Personality:

Sense of Humor:

Phobias:

Dislikes:

Pet Peeves/Gripes:

Bad Habits / Vices:

Achievements:

Disappointments:

Illnesses:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Fears:

Prejudices:

== Questions ==

Most Painful Experience:

Best Time:

Most Crucial Experience:

Role Model:

Referrer / How you found Fed Space (If 'Google' or 'Search Engine' please specify the search engine and the term searched for):

==

#3 Cdt Natalya Simonova

Cdt Natalya Simonova

• Cadets
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Security Cadet
  • Star Fleet Academy

Posted Star Date 22101.14 @ 15:54 (03:54 PM)

Name: Natalya Simonova
Species: Human
Height: 5 foot 7
Weight: 119 lbs
Build/Body Type: Athletic / Toned
Complexion: Pale
Hair Colour: Black
Hair Style: long (tied back)
Facial Hair: N/a
Eye Colour: Icy Blue
Voice: Slight Russian Accent
Off-Duty Clothing Taste: Casual Jeans, T Shirt, Boots, Climbing Gear, Biker Leathers
Distinguishing Features: Small scar above left eye brow from a childhood injury.

== Personal History ==
Date of Birth: 26/07
Place of Birth: St Petersburg. Russia
Marital Status: Single 
Siblings Name & Ages: Only Child
Mother's Name: Anastasia Simonova - 
Father's Name: Lieutenant Commander Nikita Simonova, Section 31 Operator
Parent's Status: Divorced
Pets: None
Best Friend: Danni Harrison

Personal History: 

Natalya was born and raised in St Petersburg.Mainly by her mother and maternal grandmother. This was a wonderful time for her and she was oblivious to her father's work, infact she hardly ever saw him. 

Little known to her, one of the reasons was hat her parents were divorcing and she only found out when her mother moved with her to Seattle in the USA. It was also at this time she met Danni who fast became her best friend and confident.

The accident happened on a bright sunny day on Risa and she had decided to climb "The Needle" despite warnings from other climbers. The climb was going well until she was near the ledge where the final climb would start, it was at this point one of her spikes gave way and she fell into a crevice. Two days later she was found with no memory, broken legs, fractures to the T11 and T12 Vertebrae and her left arm. Her memory has almost fully returned apart from the climb that day and she now walks with a slight limp on her left leg. The doctors did an  amazing job putting her together again but she still needed to rest and recuperate. 

The time recovering saw her miss joining the academy. She suffered from depression at this time and not sure what he wanted to do aswell as he was angry at himself for the accident.

== Personality ==
Academy Majors: Security
Academy Minors: Tactical
Hobbies & Past-Times: Listening to 20th Century Music / Mountaineering / off road motorcycling
Short-Term Goals: To become a valued member of the crew of a starship.
Long-Term Goals: Redemption for her father's sins.
Personality: Witty, Charismatic, demanding but fair
Sense of Humour: Dry and Dark
Phobias: Being Alone
Likes: Honesty, people who care for others and the underdog
Dislikes: Liars, Bullies and greed
Pet Peeves/Gripes: bad workmanship
Bad Habits / Vices: Overworking /  Vodka
Achievements: Being accepted to join Star Fleet
Disappointments: Being rejected on her first application to the Academy
Illnesses: none worth mentioning
Strengths: determined, Improviser and trouble shooter, thinks outside the normal box, but won't ask anyone to do a job she wouldn't
Weaknesses: see Vices and will work herself into the ground to finish a job rather than rest.
Fears: Dying alone
Prejudices: 

== Questions ==
Most Painful Experience: The Accident
Best Time: Risa Holiday with Danni.
Most Crucial Experience: Recovering from the accident.
Role Model: None Currently, Her mother when she was growing up.
Referrer / how you found Fed Space (If 'Google' or 'Search Engine' please specifies the search engine and the term searched for): Richard Lncoln told me.

==

#4 Lt Varani Shanth

Lt Varani Shanth

• Academy Instructors
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.16 @ 04:56 (04:56 AM)

==Good evening, Cadet, and welcome to Federation Space! I am Lieutenant Varani Shanth, and I'm here to help you with your bio!

First things first: We can't have your dad listed as a Section 31 operative. They're a shadowy organization, and their operatives do not work out in the open despite what is shown in Discovery. The organization on FedSpace is much closer to that shown in Deep Space 9 - clandestine to the point of being almost fictional, and unacknowledged by any higher power in any official capacity. Your father can work for Star Fleet Intelligence if you wish, but not Section 31.

Alright, with that out of the way, let's look at your Personal History. While I like the things you have - divorced parents due to one of their jobs, moving to Seattle, getting injured mountain climbing and mental issues due to anger at the accident - it's way too thin. We need more detail on you as a person. How did Natalya feel about her dad's absence, and then the divorce? You mention that you missed being admitted due to the accident, but nothing about when you actually did get in, and how you felt about your training in the Academy. You have a best friend in your bio, but no mention of them in your history - were they from your childhood, from high school? Are they a fellow cadet? By the time you're here in a holodeck, this is your final exam from the Academy. We should have a little more information about who you are and how you react to things. 

Other than those two things, I didn't have any complaints. The biggest thing is your history. As you revise and add to it, you may want to change some of the other stuff in your bio; feel free to do so if you wish. If you have questions, feel free to message me - you can either use the envelope up at the top right corner of the page, or you can email me at mlcallis+shanth@gmail.com. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!==

#5 Cdt Natalya Simonova

Cdt Natalya Simonova

• Cadets
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Security Cadet
  • Star Fleet Academy

Posted Star Date 22101.21 @ 15:47 (03:47 PM)

Name: Natalya Simonova
Species: Human
Height: 5 foot 7
Weight: 119 lbs
Build/Body Type: Athletic / Toned
Complexion: Pale
Hair Colour: Blonde
Hair Style: long (tied back)
Facial Hair: N/a
Eye Colour: Icy Blue
Voice: Slight Russian Accent
Off-Duty Clothing Taste: Casual Jeans, T Shirt, Boots, Climbing Gear, Biker Leathers
Distinguishing Features: Small scar above left eye brow from a childhood injury.

== Personal History ==
Date of Birth: 26/07
Place of Birth: St Petersburg. Russia
Marital Status: Single 
Siblings Name & Ages: Only Child
Mother's Name: Anastasia Simonova - Historian
Father's Name: Lieutenant Commander Nikita Simonova, Starfleet Intelligence
Parent's Status: Divorced
Pets: None
Best Friend: Dannielle Harrison

Personal History: 

Natalya was born and raised in St Petersburg.Mainly by her mother and maternal grandmother. This was a wonderful time for her and she was oblivious to her father's work, infact she hardly ever saw him. 

Little known to her, one of the reasons was trhat her parents were divorcing and she only found out when her mother moved with her to Seattle in the USA. At first, she was heartbroken that her parents divorced but overtime she came to realise her mother was the one who was always there for her. The one who had been at all those firsts at school and the one who had raised her to be the young woman she was becoming. She has not spoken to her father since the divorce and has no intention of meeting him ever again, if he cannot be bothered then why should she.  

It was also at this time she met Danni who fast became her best friend and confident. The two had met during the period before Nat joined her first American school and just got on together. It was Danni who introduced Natalya to the three big passions in her life music, biking and climbing, which in turn distacted Natalya from the other things going on in her life. Danni was very different to Natalya, she was not as tall and brunette as opposed to the tall blonde but she was much more outgoing. Both of them enrolled at the academy at the same time and Danni has since graduated and is currently assigned to the USS Churchill on a deep space research mission. Natalya looks forward to seeing her again as she has so much she wants to tell her friend.

The accident happened on a bright sunny day on Risa and she had decided to climb "The Needle" despite warnings from other climbers. The climb was going well until she was near the ledge where the final climb would start, it was at this point one of her spikes gave way and she fell into a crevice. Two days later she was found with no memory, broken legs, fractures to the T11 and T12 Vertebrae and her left arm. Her memory has almost fully returned apart from the climb that day and she now walks with a slight limp on her left leg. The doctors did an  amazing job putting her together again but she still needed to rest and recuperate. 

The time recovering saw her miss joining the academy. She suffered from depression at this time and not sure what she wanted to do aswell as she was angry at herself for the accident.

When Natalya got the message that she had been accepted to the Academy the next year, she was unsure about accepting and if she still wanted to join. She accepted after speaking to Danni, who was now one year in front of her. She has never regretted making the decision and is currently happier than she remembers ever being before.

She has made many new friends among her classmates and is now looking forward to the next big step... Graduation and assignment.

== Personality ==
Academy Majors: Security
Academy Minors: Tactical
Hobbies & Past-Times: Listening to 20th Century Music / Mountaineering / off road motorcycling
Short-Term Goals: To become a valued member of the crew of a starship.
Long-Term Goals: Personal - To be Happy. Professional - To be a Captain of her own ship.
Personality: Witty, Charismatic, demanding but fair
Sense of Humour: Dry and Dark
Phobias: Being Alone
Likes: Honesty, people who care for others and the underdog
Dislikes: Liars, Bullies and greed
Pet Peeves/Gripes: bad workmanship
Bad Habits / Vices: Overworking /  Vodka
Achievements: Being accepted to join Star Fleet
Disappointments: Being rejected on her first application to the Academy
Illnesses: none worth mentioning
Strengths: determined, Improviser and trouble shooter, thinks outside the normal box, but won't ask anyone to do a job she wouldn't
Weaknesses: see Vices and will work herself into the ground to finish a job rather than rest.
Fears: Dying alone
Prejudices: 

== Questions ==
Most Painful Experience: The Accident
Best Time: Growing up with Danni.
Most Crucial Experience: Recovering from the accident.
Role Model: None Currently, Her mother when she was growing up.
Referrer / how you found Fed Space (If 'Google' or 'Search Engine' please specifies the search engine and the term searched for): Richard Lncoln told me.

==

== Thank you for the guidelines and apologies for the delay RL got in the way==

#6 Lt Varani Shanth

Lt Varani Shanth

• Academy Instructors
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.22 @ 22:38 (10:38 PM)

==Not a problem at all! We understand that Real Life is a thing that everyone has to deal with.

As for your updates, they look good! Definitely much more fleshed out than the previous one was, though still a little sparse. I like the addition of her rejecting her father; could make for some fun drama later if he were to show up or reach out in a subplot later for you.

As it stands, I like it; it's definitely enough to get you going, and gives a better sense of who you are than the previous version did. You may find that there are things you didn't think about while making this that you want to add; don't feel bad about that - bios are living documents, and can be updated later if needed. I'm going to go ahead and mark you as approved and get you set up with an instructor. If you have any more questions, or decide you want to add something before you graduate, reach out to me and we'll see what we can do to get you taken care of! Good luck, Cadet!==

#7 Lt (JG) Amelina Whittaker

Lt (JG) Amelina Whittaker

• Academy Instructors
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.23 @ 09:22 (09:22 AM)

LESSON ONE

== Hello Cadet Simonova.  Welcome to Federation Space RPG (also referred to as Fed Space). I'm Lt JG Amelina Whittaker and I’ll be your instructor during your time in the Academy.   Fed Space is a great game and community, and we hope you enjoy it.  If you ever have any questions, don’t ever hesitate to ask here or you can either send me a site pm or email me at scullycat34@gmail.com. I tend to be around the majority of the day, however if I don't get back to you immediately it's likely due to me being on the GMT timezone. I would also ask you to take time to read and understand our site's canon page.  It's important for you to understand this information.

Before we dive into our first lesson, I want to bring to your attention to a good resource on our wiki that can help you understand your department duties. This can be found using the following link. This is an invaluable source of information, as is the rest of the Wiki.

Now that's out of the way, let's begin with Lesson One: Formatting Basics

Font Usage and Third Person, Past Tense:
Because Fed space has players all over the world, we use a standardised set of formatting rules. By using one style, it makes it easier for everyone to follow and understand each other’s posts.

The first thing to know is that we post in third person, past tense.  An example of this would be:

Amelina walked along the corridor so she could get to her first class of the day.
NOT: I walked along the corridor so I could get to my first class of the day.

The next thing to know is that we use double spacing between paragraphs and between our character’s spoken lines. This means when you write a spoken line with quotation marks “ ”, you would leave a space to indicate a break in the paragraph.  A good rule to follow is ‘When in doubt, double space!’

Character Internal Thoughts
To show a character’s thoughts and/or to add extra emphasis, we use italics.  When writing a character’s thoughts, it’s acceptable to write in first person.  For example, for my character to show a thought, it would look like:  

I can’t wait to finish my latest painting so I can send it to Dad for his birthday

To write in italics, just press the i button and begin typing. Your text should show up in italics. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl i (for PC), Command i (Apple) to get italics. When you are finished with your thoughts, simply hit the i button (or keyboard shortcut) again to end the italics.  Please note: If you use your phone or tablet to post, you might be required to use the bulletin board code (bbcode). The bbcode for italics is:  [ i ] Text [ / i ]   (without the spaces).

Showing Emphasis
To make something really stand out in your post, for example, if a character was shouting, use bold text. For example, to show emphasis for my character, this would look like:  

Amelina loved to paint.

The procedure is the same as italics, just press the b button instead of the i. The keyboard shortcut Ctrl b (for PC), Command b (for Apple).  Note: The bbcode for phone users is  [ b ] Text [ / b ]   (without the spaces).

Telepathic Communication
It is rare that a character has the ability to communicate telepathically. In general, telepathy is closely monitored by our Senior and Commanding Officers to make sure it isn’t abused and players are not "super-simming" their character.  With that said, there are a few telepathic races on Fed Space and on occasion telepaths will speak to each other through this unique skill. Telepathic communication is shown like this:  

~ Hello, I am speaking directly into your mind. ~

If your character is not telepathic then, in general, you don’t need to worry about this technique, but be aware it exists in case you see crewmembers on your ship or others using it.

Using Communication Badges or Comm Badges
Characters can often receive verbal communications through a communication device, such as a comm badge, from another crew member or the computer.  When receiving a message, you should drop the quotations “ ” and instead use brackets [ ].

For example, if I received a message from another officer, it would look something like this:
          [Commander Allen to Lt Whittaker, please report to Holodeck 3.]

If you are the one speaking to somebody through a comm device, you would still use the quotations “ ”.

Out Of Character posting or OOC:
OOC posting is what I’m doing now. OOC text is surrounded by == ==.   You should use OOC when you want to talk to another player and not write it as part of the storyline.  You won’t need to do this in general discussion areas such as your ship’s OOC sections like Crew Announcements as well as in Hailing Frequencies.

Proofing Posts:
When writing a post, it’s important to take time to run your posts through a word processor, like Word.  While word processors won’t find all grammar and spelling errors, they can help find and correct any errors before you post.  Rereading your post can help catch forgotten ending punctuation, too. You don’t need to be a perfect speller or grammar whiz, but taking the time to do this extra step will make it easier for everyone to understand our posts.

A good way to get the feel of these formatting rules and to get a feel of the site in general is to browse the forums.  Take some time to look at the different ships and station and notice how our players are using the elements listed above. 

Feel free to post in our Academy Lounge/Cafeteria/Gardens area.  This will provide you extra practice in using the techniques listed as well as meet other cadets in training.

With all that said, let’s get to some posting!  Your assignment is to respond to my post, and use the elements that have been discussed above.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.  Good luck and of course, have fun! ==

== over to you Cadet and any questions just let me know :-) ==

== Holodeck 3 - 1300 Hrs ==

Having gone over the details as to who her next Cadet would be, prior to her arrival at Holodeck 3. Amelina was looking forward to putting Natalya Simonova through her final exam as she had gotten the chance to get to know her, through Natalya attending her class. Not only where they the same age but shared some other commonalities that had Amelina grateful for the opportunity of getting to meet her. She always tended get on with her students and enjoyed every aspect of being an Instructor, especially seeing the Cadets grow and eventually find a place on a Starship.

For the moment, however Amelina entered the barren empty holodeck and took up a position just inside the doors to await her Cadet's arrival and no doubt it would be a surprise for her, when she saw who would be taking her through the final exam.

== Tag Simonova ==

#8 Cdt Natalya Simonova

Cdt Natalya Simonova

• Cadets
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Security Cadet
  • Star Fleet Academy

Posted Star Date 22101.23 @ 16:23 (04:23 PM)

== Holodeck 3 - 1300 Hrs ==

Having gone over the details as to who her next Cadet would be, prior to her arrival at Holodeck 3. Amelina was looking forward to putting Natalya Simonova through her final exam as she had gotten the chance to get to know her, through Natalya attending her class. Not only where they the same age but shared some other commonalities that had Amelina grateful for the opportunity of getting to meet her. She always tended get on with her students and enjoyed every aspect of being an Instructor, especially seeing the Cadets grow and eventually find a place on a Starship.

For the moment, however Amelina entered the barren empty holodeck and took up a position just inside the doors to await her Cadet's arrival and no doubt it would be a surprise for her, when she saw who would be taking her through the final exam.

== Tag Simonova ==

Natalya walked slowly towards holodeck as she still had a few minutes before she was due at her final exam. All she could think of was finally this day had come, a day she was not sure she would ever see.

She paused as she caught her reflection in a window and briefly checked her unform for what seemed like the 100th time in the last hour and brushed some stray hair behind her ear with her left hand.

She stepped into the auditorium of the academy and made her way across the main hall and through the doors towards the holodeck. While she walked she looked around for any familiar faces before her eyes fell on some new cadets which made her remember her first year and how she felt that day.

Then, just as she arrived at the holodeck the doors slipped open and she stepped forward. As she did so she immediately recognised the instructor waiting for her " kadet Simonova Reporting for duty, Lieutenant". She spoke evenly and calmly hoping that her accent did not show, but knowing it probably would to Amelina. The young instructor had not only been a tutor but had become a friend.

She stood at attention awaiting her orders.

== Tag Whittaker ==

== I would like to use K in place of C and V in place of V when Natalya speaks to emphasise her accent, Muck like Walter Koenig did with Chekov. If this is acceptable. If not please let me know and i will no longer use it. ==

#9 Lt (JG) Amelina Whittaker

• Academy Instructors
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.23 @ 17:55 (05:55 PM)

== A great first post & after speaking to Commander Allen, yes that should be okay for you to include aspects of Natalya's accent. Another I thing I noticed was you putting my post at the top of yours. This isn't something that we tend to do as we usually incorporate the odd sentence or some of what another character has said in our posts. However I think I understand your reasons for doing so, for the purpose of this thread ==

LESSON TWO

== Lesson two: Plots, GM Input, and New Content:

We have two types of plots here on Federation Space: the main plot and subplots.

Main plots effect the entire ship and is directed by a Game Moderator (GM).   

Subplots are an underlying story that’s being told within the main plot.  A subplot can be run by any player who has received approval by the ship’s CO (or FO).

An example of the difference between the two:  The main plot is about the ship falling under attack by an unknown enemy,  whereas a subplot would be where a character is exploring a new relationship or taking part in a ship celebration.

GMs:

Game Moderators (GMs) guide the ships’ missions along. Every ship has a mission, of which only the GMs of a ship know the mission details. 

Your job is to write what your character sees and what their reaction is. The GM will provide any unknowns about the plot.  This input will have significance to the direction of the mission. This is why characters should keep posts open ended on anything that might affect the mission’s direction or outcome.   As your character performs an action, such as performing a diagnostic scan, leave the result of the scan unknown.  The GM will explain what the outcome of the action is.

When you need GM input on something, for example results of a diagnostic scan, one only has to make a request at the end of the post.  The request can look like:

== GM Input, please. ==

Or it can also be a more specific request, such as:

== GM Input:  Result of the diagnostic, please. ==

An example of this would be, == GM input: What are the results of the scan that Amelina ran on the locked cargo bay? ==

Take a look around at the active ships on Federation Space to see how characters ask for GM input.

New Content feature:

I would like to mention the ‘view new content’ feature on the top right of our forum page.  This tab is a quick and handy way to see who has posted since your previous visit to Federation Space.

Time for more writing!   From now on I will be acting as the GM for you.  In your next post, make sure to use the formatting techniques learned in lesson one and find a way to ask for GM input.

If you need any help, or would like more clarification, don’t hesitate to ask.  ==

== Holodeck 3 ==

The moment that the doors to the holodeck opened to reveal Natalya, Amelina smiled warmly at seeing her student and friend. In some ways their friendship reminded the former security officer of what she had with her own mentor and how important it was to have that. Okay she may not of realised that in the beginning but the important thing was that she had and at the right time. For now though her attention moved away from that memory as Natalya approached and reported in, causing Amelina to smile again as she spoke in a reassuring tone.

" At ease Cadet and welcome to your final exam, I'll be starting the simulation in a few moments" she said calmly as she addressed the computer and activated the programme. As the scene changed around them, Amelina faded from view as the programme turned the empty holodeck into a corridor belonging to The Silver Valkyrie, a Freighter that has been damaged after unknowingly hitting a subspace eddy. Simonova would find herself as part of Alpha team that has been sent ahead to locate any survivors.

== Tag Simonova ==

#10 Cdt Natalya Simonova

Cdt Natalya Simonova

• Cadets
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Security Cadet
  • Star Fleet Academy

Posted Star Date 22101.25 @ 14:52 (02:52 PM)

Taking a few seconds to study her surroundings, Natalya soon recognised the search and rescue scenario that had loaded around her, she had seen it once before in a class on her group had not faired well on that occasion. 

She took a deep breath and reached for her tricorder and flipping it open with a flick of her wrist. She ran her hand over it quickly and set it to scan for lifesigns. 

==GM Input: Tricorder readings please==

As she scanned she continued to walk along the corridor, her plan was to head for the bridge unless other lifesigns appeared elsewhere.

She walked slowly listening carefully for any sounds as her eyes scanned the corridor in front of her, She also noted that the air tasted stale as if it had not been disturbed for some time. "Simonova to Lt Anderson, any luck with engineering yet"? she asked after tapping her comm badge.

#11 Lt (JG) Amelina Whittaker

• Academy Instructors
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted Star Date 22101.25 @ 15:49 (03:49 PM)

== I like how you responded to the scenario and good use of GM input. However a useful tip for when you're on a ship and that's to put the GM input request at the end of your post. With that said, let's continue :-) ==

LESSON THREE

== Lesson three: NRCs, character usage, and site navigation:
Non-rated characters, or NRCs, are characters used by players as well as GMs to help fill crew gaps in ships. Starships usually have large crews and since we don’t have enough players to fill all those roles, we use NRCs. 

We have two types of NRCs: Independent and Temporary.

Independent NRCs are like a Player Rated Character (PRC), in that they get played as their own character. These NRCs are registered and you can distinguish them through their character names. You’ll see something along the lines of Ensign Doe {Allen}, with the PRC character’s last name in brackets at the end. And while these NRCs are similar to PRCs, they are not a second rated character (SRC). They also do not earn points or medals as you would with your PRC.  Also, your PRC must be a Lt [JG] or higher and have the approval of your Commanding Officer to create an Independent NRC. 

Temporary NRCs on the other hand, can be created by anyone. They are not as developed as Independent NRCs or PRCs and they do not have bios. They are usually created for quick tasks, and are used for times when you need to post with other players on the ship.

To make a Temporary NRC post, all you need to do is place an OOC notation at the top of the post. You’ll probably see several variations, but they typically look like:

==Ensign Maura Noble, Temp Engineering NRC ==

In the case of both NRCs, you play the character from the NRCs perspective, almost as if you have a second character.  You can only play an NRC that is one rank higher than your own. This means that if you’re an Ensign, you can have NRCs that are Midshipmen, Ensigns, or Lieutenant Junior Grades.

Character Hijacking:
The next element we’re going to cover is character usage. Unless you have permission from the player, you cannot post any speech, thoughts or movements for another character (PRC or NRC) that isn’t yours, unless the character has already done so in game. This is called character hijacking and is not permitted on Fed Space. Some players might not mind, but even minor things such as a nod of a head or a shrug of the shoulders can be considered hijacking.

For example, if you wrote in your next post that Amelina Whittaker suddenly appeared and started shooting targets, you would have hijacked that character.

Character Movement on Ships
I’m sure you have noticed a ship has multiple threads on it for various locations that a player can post, such as the bridge, sickbay, and security offices.  Often times while on a mission, players travel throughout the ship to accomplish their orders. To help follow the plot when a player is transitioning from one thread to another, they should make a notation at the end of their post like this:   >> Sickbay >>   The arrows and location found at the bottom of a post tells readers where this character will post next.  

When the player makes their next post, the player should make a notation at the beginning of their post like this:   << Bridge <<     The arrows and location found at the top of a post indicate that is where a player has just come from.

The Fed Space wiki offers a great resource to help you out with your posts.  Be sure to spend some time checking it out.  The information on the wiki is also ‘Fed Space canon,’ which can sometimes differ from Star Trek canon, so look there first when you’re researching something.  Don’t feel limited to only looking at the wiki pages for your department, because the other departments will have information, you’ll find it quite useful.

As previously mentioned, Fed Space canon differs slightly from that of Star Trek, mainly because this game happens 40+ years after the Dominion War. Since the Dominion War, there have been many conflicts and wars. It’s been very rocky, but all the history from the start of Year 1 to the last entry on that page have been written and played here on Federation Space.  Make sure you spend some time checking out our site history.  

Our Academy pages contain a lot of valuable resources for you as well. Be sure to check them out, especially the New Cadet FAQ while you’re there.

To help you become accustomed to organisation of our wiki, I have a few questions for you to answer:

1. What is General Quarters Three?
2. Who is the Security Chief for the USS Artemis?
3. What are the results/effects of a phaser pistol on setting one?

So, in your next post, please continue to use Lieutenant Anderson as your Temporary NRC and give me the answers to the questions.

Good luck! ==

== Results of the tricorder scans would show that there was a group of life signs clustered together in the storage bay. There was 15 in total and half of them were beginning to get weaker with each passing second ==