Ens Amy Martinez

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 214 posts
  • Discord:kyledew1992#3053
  • Tactical Officer
  • USS Titania, RSV-88002
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.02 @ 23:11 (11:11 PM)

I don't know if I'm the only one who's done so, but does anyone else use the Wayback Machine for the site and try to find something that forgot about when it wasn't saved on the wiki and what not?

One of my old characters, who took my new one up as her padawan, I couldn't for the life remember the avatar and who I based her off of. The wiki wasn't any help, because when I first developed her I wanna say we were on the old boards and didn't have the luxury of avatars. You new whippersnappers don't know what that was like, lol.

While the Wayback Machine doesn't have everything crawled through, there are some pieces here and there that are helpful. Luckily, I was able to find the avatar I used, and in the process came upon some names that are now nostalgic for me.

#2 Adm Daniel Wueste

Adm Daniel Wueste

• Administrators
  • 1197 posts

Posted Star Date 22103.03 @ 16:20 (04:20 PM)

Oh, I love crawling through the old sites on the wayback machine! 

I've got a couple links from old versions of the site from various web addresses from long before we had fed-space.com. I've shared some of these before, but this seems like a great place to put them up again for anyone interested.

If you can get past a lot of missing graphics in some of the navigation panes, the below links show some of the earliest versions of the site on some of our old web servers:

October 2000 (this capture is actually from right after I joined the site and just before my bio got uploaded): http://web.archive.o...pace/index.html

April 2001: http://web.archive.o....f2s.com/hq.htm

April 2003: http://web.archive.o...-divisions.html

I especially enjoy being able to scroll through web crawls from different months/years for every page. Ah, nostalgia. 

#3 Ens Amy Martinez

Ens Amy Martinez

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 214 posts
  • Tactical Officer
  • USS Titania, RSV-88002
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.03 @ 20:46 (08:46 PM)

Yes, I remember the federationspace-rpg.com forums as that's what I started back on in 2009. I never realized there was different domain name before even that it seems. One thing that stuck out to me just now when I looked at the site from when I joined was the "What Might Have Been" subplot.

Stuff like that stood out to me as interesting, but it was a shame it went away before I could create my own NRC at the time. I don't recall why it ended, but I'm pretty sure it was because of lack of interest, on something that had a lot of potential. NRC ships always were doomed for failure though, so I guess there's that.

It's also a shame how we only have a fraction of the site's history from all these years ago. I remember I wasn't that great at it either during my initial run.

Edited by Mid Amy Martinez, Star Date 22103.03 @ 20:47 (08:47 PM).

#4 Cdr Justine Anderson {Willard}

Cdr Justine Anderson {Willard}

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Chief Science Officer
  • USS Callisto, RSV-88001

Posted Star Date 22103.04 @ 21:36 (09:36 PM)

It's also a shame how we only have a fraction of the site's history from all these years ago. I remember I wasn't that great at it either during my initial run.

We all grow and learn over time, I remember back in '02 or was it '03 my first character wasn't played that well either.

#5 Ens Amy Martinez

Ens Amy Martinez

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 214 posts
  • Tactical Officer
  • USS Titania, RSV-88002
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22103.04 @ 22:13 (10:13 PM)

We all grow and learn over time, I remember back in '02 or was it '03 my first character wasn't played that well either.

For me, I wished I was better with log entries and adding to my characters history in his BIO.

I wish I had expanded more on his last mission on the Intrepid in my BIO. I never even made a log entry about how he was feeling about being in command of the Intrepid with the CO, FO, and SO, temporarily out of the picture. That was should've been a big moment for him, and then a Midshipman was effectively questioning his orders during that very mission, and saying he was violating the Prime Directive.

Then after he left the Intrepid and took a job at Star Fleet Tactical, the ship's CMO who was his significant other, was killed in the line of duty. I was still on the site at that time, and I never once added to the BIO to reflect how he was dealing with it. Stuff like that, I didn't do justice. And there's no history to go off of on events like that.

#6 Cdr Justine Anderson {Willard}

Cdr Justine Anderson {Willard}

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Chief Science Officer
  • USS Callisto, RSV-88001

Posted Star Date 22103.04 @ 22:36 (10:36 PM)

I am very excited this is my first post aboard a ship. Evidently I came in during a very important mission from the rumors that I hear around the ship. I am so nervous because I do not know what Lt. Revere has in store for me. Hopefully I get to see some action. But chances are that I will not because I am still wet behind the ears. I'll probly get stuck running diagnostics on ships systems or some other boring routine job.

End Personal Log

my very first log, from Getty's first mission.

#7 Mid Gabriel Finch

Mid Gabriel Finch

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted Star Date 22110.26 @ 02:33 (02:33 AM)

The Wayback machine is devilish to us old timers... To look back at what and how I was writing at 17 in Jan of '03, my character already LTjg after just a couple of months, remember that he fell into a relationship rather quickly. I did find my very first NPC that I haven't thought about in 19 years. Duke Kriston... a hard nose, take no crap from anyone, chef...

I'd be lying if I said it didn't rush back some memories long thought gone...