Photo

Does the forum do some kind of backup by itself?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mid Amy Martinez

Mid Amy Martinez

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Discord:kyledew1992#3053
  • Tactical Officer
  • USS Charon, RSV-88003
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.16 @ 04:01 (04:01 AM)

I was searching for something about myself on Google, and found this in one of the search pages.

https://fed-space.co...185-kyle-dewitt

I was curious and clicked on it, and started going down the rabbit hole of viewing everything. It's like a complete snapshot of how the site was back in March 2017. For s---s and giggle, I tried to log on. I didn't think it'd work to be honest, and it almost didn't. Turns out instead of the usual username, like how mine currently is martinez, you have to type in the Display Name, Mid Amy Martinez for example. One bad thing is, I've realized I've been using the same password for everything and haven't changed it for the last 5 years. :blink:

I'm not exactly sure how, but it seems tied to the site as it is now. While it's not exactly the same, things such as the background looks like a standard ipb forum and even if an account was on the site then if they aren't on the site now there won't be an avatar, doing stuff like clicking the wiki tab will take you to the current wiki.

That window of the past was interesting to look at, especially as I combed through the PM messages I had from back then. Those went back to 8 years ago, so even in that snapshot of 2017 some of those players were no longer on the site and I don't even remember the characters I was PMing. I tried reading through them, but that didn't help in the slightest. Guess my memory has already started to go in my "old age", lol.

That being said, I'm curious as to why/how this even exists in the first place. It's neat and all, but I get the feeling it's not something that was intentional.

#2 Ens Qu'tha Viral

Ens Qu'tha Viral

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Discord:Vexxing One#6070
  • Security Officer
  • USS Geronimo, CR-75250
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.16 @ 06:17 (06:17 AM)

Long story short.... the internet never forgets?

#3 Alexis Tregelen

Alexis Tregelen

• Administrators
  • 1726 posts

Posted Star Date 22104.18 @ 23:33 (11:33 PM)

That site is a direct 1 to 1 copy of Fed Space as it was March 15th 2017. During that time we were planning on upgrading the IPB to the latest version but found that it was a lot harder than we thought. You have mentioned the background/skin, we use a custom colour scheme here on Fed Space and it doesn't easily translate over to the new software. We put the upgrade on the backburner for a number of reasons, the effort vs benefit being one of the big ones.

We still plan on upgrading the boards to the latest software as there are some cool things in it (did you see the icon next to the Ozaki showing the ships logo to signify a new post?) but as it stands, unless there is a major security issue identified or the current one becomes unusable its likely we will stick with this one for a while.

I do ask anyone that does check out the site, you are welcome to log in and look around but please don't make any posts or changes as there are some links back to the existing forum, such as the avatars you mentioned as well as rank pips.

But yes, change your passwords. Or better yet, get Dashlane... I wonder if I can get a promo code for Dashlane, I tell people to use it enough...

#4 Mid Amy Martinez

Mid Amy Martinez

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Discord:kyledew1992#3053
  • Tactical Officer
  • USS Charon, RSV-88003
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22104.19 @ 00:11 (12:11 AM)

I didn't even notice the rank pips weren't there on those old threads. It shows up something in text form when you click on the user profile, but even those aren't right, lol. Your 2017 snapshot says "Engineering - Commander".

But yeah, I just thought it was kinda neat about the whole snapshot in time. The ship's logo to indicate a new post is neat as well, but as at the moment only Artemis and Geronimo have logos it wouldn't be nearly as "uniform". Still it's nice have this little time capsule.

I always tell people to change passwords every now and then, but I'm bad at it myself. Even when I do change them, I don't really. Like my original password could be Zxcvbn@1 (to have that nice capital, lower, special, and number), and when it's time to change I'll just make it Zxcvbn@2.

#5 Alexis Tregelen

Alexis Tregelen

• Administrators
  • 1726 posts

Posted Star Date 22104.19 @ 00:22 (12:22 AM)

Ahh that's right, it wasn't that the rank pips were linked to the current forum, it was that we couldn't get them to display the way that we have them now. That's another reason we haven't done the move.

I tend to go with phrases for my passwords, easier for me to remember and 99/100 they meet the complexity requirements.