Jump to content


Photo

CA/E02 - Parhelia II


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GM-Creative Director

GM-Creative Director

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 349 posts
  • Sitewide Game Moderator
  • Omnipresent

Posted Star Date 22104.23 @ 18:09 (06:09 PM)

==


  • 0

#2 GM-16

GM-16

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 450 posts
  • Senior GM
  • USS Calisto

Posted Star Date 22104.28 @ 02:34 (02:34 AM)

Within ten minutes, the Siren had launched from Callisto and cruised down to the planet’s surface below. Fortunately, the same topography that served to help conceal whoever was down on the planet was equally useful in concealing the Siren’s approach. Sound wasn’t an issue in the non-existent atmosphere, and there was enough room to maneuver at ground level to bring the Siren to rest less than a kilometer from the top of the ridge looking down into the target, the mountain on their left and a wide plain to the right.

 

Equipped in full EV suits out of necessity, the away team covered the kilometer fairly quickly. Parhelia II’s gravity was about three-quarters of Earth standard, helping to offset the weight of the suit, even if it’s bulk still had to be overcome.

 

Coming to the top of the ridge, they were given a good view of the area below. It was some kind of work site, evidently - there was some heavy equipment and several very large containers standing by, and about ten or a dozen humanoid figures in grey environmental suits. As they watched, a beam was fired at the canyon wall to the away team’s left, which was an odd sight to see. Completely silent, and with the cloud of debris falling in slow motion, it looked like a surrealist painting more than a highly-energetic mining operation.

 

While they could see people loading rock and ore into the containers, getting an accurate count - or even anything beyond “they’re humanoid” - was going to require scans.

 

==Welcome to Parhelia II! Beware falling rocks!==


  • 0

#3 Cdr Justine Anderson

Cdr Justine Anderson

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Chief Science Officer
  • USS Callisto, RSV-88001

Posted Star Date 22104.30 @ 21:33 (09:33 PM)

==Pre-Launch==

 

Justine left the bridge and made way for the umbilicus that lead to the Siren, the Waverider class shuttle on the underside of the Callisto's primary hull. The interior of the shuttle was dark, the consoles were unpowered. The only illumination was coming from several small lights mounted around the shuttle near the ceiling. The low illumination level would be more at home in a horror movie, but it wasn't staying that way for long.

 

"Computer, begin startup sequence and release control lockouts. Authorization Anderson-Gamma-5."

 

The interior lights were brought up to full illumination with the consoles flickering to life. The air circulation system ramped up to full, the gentle hum of the fans blending with the beeps of the various consoles doing their start-up self diagnostics. It wasn't long after that the Siren was brought online that the first member of the Away Team appeared, feet first descending the ladder and appearing from the roof hatch. 

 

==Nurse Jacqueline "Jack" Bishop==

 

"Commander Anderson, Dr. Arwen said you could use some medical help on this away team. Something about life signs on a barren planet?" Nurse Bishop said as she finished descending the ladder.

 

==Anderson==

 

"Indeed, Nurse Bishop. You can setup the rear laboratory compartment for emergency medicine. We're still waiting on Lt. T'Relia and Ens. Klomak to report."

 

Justine walked over to a spare console and sat down and began to run a standard diagnostic on the sensors and all systems remotely connected to it while she waited for Tess and Klomak to arrive.

 

==TAGS! also GM Input, I assume the diagnostic is fine since we have technically arrived on the planet, just making sure there isn't any curve balls in the immediate future,==


  • 0

#4 GM-16

GM-16

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 450 posts
  • Senior GM
  • USS Calisto

Posted Star Date 22105.01 @ 01:36 (01:36 AM)

==Nothing will go amiss. No curve balls until the planet, at least!==


  • 0

#5 Ens Klomak

Ens Klomak

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Discord:Klomak
  • Security Officer
  • USS Callisto, RSV 88001
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.01 @ 10:51 (10:51 AM)

Klomak had arrived to the Siren on time and punctual as usual and made his was to the security console on the bridge.  the trip the surface was uneventful, as Klomak had predicted for he knew there where no ships in the vicinity of the planet.

 

On landing he insisted that he be the first to disembark. If they where going to be attacked a good opportunity would be as they first disembarked. So Klomak made a quick sweep of the nearby area before allowing the others to disembark the Siren.

 

Suited up in full EV suits the crew made their way towards the location of the life signs. Klomak's tricorder could barely make them out at this distance. They covered the one kilometre distant to a vantage point above where the life signs should be, Klomak insisting on taking point and the others following.

 

Once at the cliff over looking the life signs location, Klomak the first there immediately crouched down on one knee to minimise his profile, just in case the people loading rocks and ore into containers saw them on the cliff top.
 
As the others arrived immediately after he crouched Klomak gave a direct order.
 
"Everyone down," he said, "there are humanoids below load rocks into crates. We need to keep a low profile."
 
He swiftly brought his tricorder to bear in their direction and took a full scan of the area. 
 
Know thine enemy.
 
From the top of the ridge, he had they a good view of the area below. It was some kind of work site, evidently - there was some heavy equipment and several very large containers standing by, and about ten or a dozen humanoid figures in grey environmental suits.
 
A beam was fired at the canyon wall to the away team’s left, which was an odd sight to see. Completely silent, and with the cloud of debris falling in slow motion, it looked like a surrealist painting more than a highly-energetic mining operation. Klomak trained his tricorder on the beam and the explosion, he attempted to record everything he could, to gain as much information as possible.
 
== GM input please?
1. How many humanoids, and what species (plural) are they?
2. What are the rocks made of and what minerals or crystals could they be mining?
3. What type of beam was used?
4. Any weapons scanned?
5. Any shuttles or space craft scanned on the surface or flying above in scanner range, and what is the range of the tricorder?
6 Does Klomak's scan fine anything else of interest to the away team?
And thank you for not killing us immediately oh great harbinger of death and destruction.==

Edited by Ens Klomak, Star Date 22105.01 @ 10:52 (10:52 AM).

  • 0

#6 Lt (JG) Tess T'Relia

Lt (JG) Tess T'Relia

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.02 @ 23:29 (11:29 PM)

Arriving aboard the Siren, Tess was interested in what they would find on the planet below. Whoever was down there would have to be looking for something, unlikely they would attempt to colonise a barren planet. But who could be down there other than Ferengi?

 

Its all very strange...

 

The craft launched without any problems, a miracle considering if something could go wrong in Starfleet, it would, and touched down upon the planet on a ridge overlooking where the life signs had been. Klomak was first out, and checked the area before letting them leave the Siren. Coming out of the craft in her EV suit, Tess was feeling lighter than she normally would, this was her first away mission and she had no idea how it was going to go. 

 

Hope this is quick, we should probably return to the station soon...

 

Arriving at the cliffs, Klomak immediately spoke, "Everyone down," he said, "there are humanoids below load rocks into crates. We need to keep a low profile."

 
They were most definitely humanoid, but telling anything else about them when they were in EV suits was no easy task. Tess kept a grip on her phaser, after all, better safe than sorry.
 
"What is the scan coming up with, Ensign?" Tess asked after a pause.
 
==Tags==

  • 0

#7 Cdr Justine Anderson

Cdr Justine Anderson

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Chief Science Officer
  • USS Callisto, RSV-88001

Posted Star Date 22105.03 @ 11:53 (11:53 AM)

The flight down to Parhelia II was uneventful, they touched down and the away team made there way to a ridge a klick away from the landing zone. There appeared to be a full scale mining operation below them. Justine was just about ready to issue orders to the team when the team was fired upon.

 

"Take Cover!" Justine yelled over the comms.

 

Quickly assessing the situation she saw that Klomak was scanning the area already.

 

Justine tapped the controls on the arm of her suit to open a wide band comm signal.

 

"Cease fire. We are Star Fleet Officers on a peaceful survey mission. We mean you no harm." she broadcast out into the ether hoping it was picked up.

 

==Tags==


  • 0

#8 GM-16

GM-16

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 450 posts
  • Senior GM
  • USS Calisto

Posted Star Date 22105.03 @ 23:25 (11:25 PM)

Klomak began scanning the area and was able to discover some pertinent details fairly quickly. First, the large laser being used was a mining laser, intended to blast apart rock so that the raw materials could be collected. The rock they were collecting had a few different minerals in it, though it was mostly just average and useless rock.

 

The most common mineral in the debris, however, was benamite.

 

Every person below was armed with a sidearm, though there were a few rifles set beside a container near the collected ore. Everyone was involved in the collection process, walking around and picking up the debris, leaving no one on overwatch. Also notable was the lack of any shuttlecraft in the area; there was a flattened area nearby with footprints and grav wakes from antigrav platforms leading towards the work site, but there was no craft there.

 

As for the workers, themselves, the tricorder was immediately able to pick up what they were. There were a dozen Cardassians down there. Their environmental suits they wore were similar to those worn back during the First General War, though understandably more advanced given the decades since then.

 

As some of the debris rained down on the away team, Anderson broadcast to the entire area. Each of the Cardassians immediately dropped their collection devices - letting them drift comically to the ground in the lighter gravity - and pulled their disruptors. They started scanning the area, the drifting particles having scattered the signal slightly and making triangulating the away team difficult, while moving to cover positions like a military unit would.

 

[Show yourself, Star Fleet,] one of them commed, though at this distance it would be impossible to tell who. [This is unclaimed space, and you are interfering with our operations. Leave at once.]

 

==Tag away team!==


  • 0

#9 Ens Klomak

Ens Klomak

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Discord:Klomak
  • Security Officer
  • USS Callisto, RSV 88001
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.04 @ 10:47 (10:47 AM)

"Cease fire. We are Star Fleet Officers on a peaceful survey mission. We mean you no harm." Cdr Anderson broadcast out into the ether hoping it was picked up.

 

[Show yourself, Star Fleet,] one of them commanded, though at this distance it would be impossible to tell who. [This is unclaimed space, and you are interfering with our operations. Leave at once.]

 

Klomak moved stealthily to Cdr Anderson to show her the results of his scans which gave a good picture of what was going on down below. What looked like a  landing pad near by but no shuttles, 12 Cardassians in EV suits all armed with disrupter pistols, some disrupter rifles and they where most likely mining Benamite."

 

"They move like Cardassian military, Commander. We are out numbered and out gunned. Although from the fire they laid down at us, they cannot pin point our location very well. The dust and the haze must be affect their sensors like our tricorders." Klomak added to his already detail scan report. "I recommend withdrawal, Commander, we have the information for which we came."

 

==Tag Anderson and T'Relia==


Edited by Ens Klomak, Star Date 22105.04 @ 10:48 (10:48 AM).

  • 0

#10 GM-16

GM-16

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 450 posts
  • Senior GM
  • USS Calisto

Posted Star Date 22105.05 @ 21:06 (09:06 PM)

A comm channel opened to the group. [Away team, this is Callisto,] the ECH said. [We've picked up some kind of gravimetric distortion coming at us. It just... appeared not long ago, and--] He cut himself off as they could hear alert sirens go off in the background.

 

[Dammit,] he said. [Cardassian ship decloaking. They must have been minimum power and hiding in a distortion area somewhere. They're coming in weapons hot; we're on alert. Whatever's going on down there, stay put and stay safe. We'll be back for you in a minute.] The channel closed as quickly as it opened.


  • 0

#11 Lt (JG) Tess T'Relia

Lt (JG) Tess T'Relia

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.05 @ 23:14 (11:14 PM)

"Take Cover!" Justine yelled over the comms.

 

"Cease fire. We are Star Fleet Officers on a peaceful survey mission. We mean you no harm." Anderson broadcast.

 

So much for the element of surprise...

 

[Show yourself, Star Fleet,] one of them commed, though at this distance it would be impossible to tell who. [This is unclaimed space, and you are interfering with our operations. Leave at once.]

 

Tess noticed Klomak had moved to speak to Anderson, and followed him to listen.

 

"They move like Cardassian military, Commander. We are out numbered and out gunned. Although from the fire they laid down at us, they cannot pin point our location very well. The dust and the haze must be affect their sensors like our tricorders." Klomak added to his already detail scan report. "I recommend withdrawal, Commander, we have the information for which we came."

 

Cardassians? What the hell are they doing here...

 

[Away team, this is Callisto,] the ECH said. [We've picked up some kind of gravimetric distortion coming at us. It just... appeared not long ago, and--] He cut himself off as they could hear alert sirens go off in the background.

 

[Dammit,] he said. [Cardassian ship decloaking. They must have been minimum power and hiding in a distortion area somewhere. They're coming in weapons hot; we're on alert. Whatever's going on down there, stay put and stay safe. We'll be back for you in a minute.] The channel closed as quickly as it opened.

 
"Well, that rules out a retreat, nowhere to go now." Tess said, keeping a grip on her phaser.
 
Damn Cardassians... I should be up there helping not down here.. who do they think they are, attacking us here...
 
"Your orders, ma'am?"
 
==Tags==

  • 0