Jump to content


Photo

AT/E01 - Repair Station


  • Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 GM-Creative Director

GM-Creative Director

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 351 posts
  • Sitewide Game Moderator
  • Omnipresent

Posted Star Date 22105.24 @ 12:11 (12:11 PM)

==


  • 0

#2 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22105.24 @ 12:33 (12:33 PM)

The flight to the repair station was blissfully short, as the Orion wasn't exactly designed to carry passengers in comfort. Aside from the four people occupying the stations in the cockpit, the remainder had to sit on a barely-tolerable bench seat or stand in the aft compartment along with the equipment lockers. It took Briggs a few minutes to find somewhere to land, as the majority of the hangars appeared to be sealed tight - in the end he found a secondary access point at the very base of the station, well away from prying eyes.

 

After the docking clamps attached and the extendable docking tube created a seal between the Orion's hatch and the airlock, the pressure equalised with a hiss and the Orion's hatch opened. Gaining entry to the base was done fairly simply with a Security Tricorder's codebreaking algorithm, and warm dry air not unlike that of Earth's deserts wafted over the Away Team as they entered a criss-crossing maze of maintenance gangways lit by dim yellow lights. A dull thrumming sound and subtle vibrations through the deck suggested that whatever reactor powered the station was still functional.

 

Initial Tricorder scans indicated that the repair bays were several decks above them, and the command center way above that at the very top of the facility. A service elevator was positioned fifty meters ahead that might take them to those areas. As of yet, there were no life signs detectable.


  • 0

#3 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.24 @ 18:24 (06:24 PM)

There was a loud clang as the Orion positioned herself for mooring, instantly followed by a short and gentle thud as the station laid claim to the runabout. Ed had been preparing himself in the aft compartment like the majority of the boarding team, but a shuffle of personnel had begun as security had started to turn their attention towards the airlock. A hissing sound betrayed the process of pressurising the seal, binding the two together. The older man had navigated himself close to the access door that led to the forward command compartment of the vessel, his eyes locked on what the security personnel were doing. 
 
Security towards the breach, non security personnel to the safety of the rear of the formation as the team secured entry and ensured that their mooring location was secure. 
 
Time had slowed. His heartbeat had quickened. 
 
One security officer had placed a tricorder against the station's access hatch, and within seconds the algorithms had completed their assignment. 
 
Then the access hatch opened, in a second demolishing any partition between the Orion and the station. They were in this moment one and the same, and Ed peered from his vantage point beyond the doorway, and into the long gloomy maintenance corridors before him.
 
He hadn’t known what to expect… It had lived up to its reputation for being decidedly empty.
 
What he had noticed was the change in humidity. The air on the station was drier, the temperature higher. 
 
“Is it just me or is it hot in here?”
 
Ed asked aloud, proceeding behind the others to step through the access hatch, one step at a time into the unknown. He had instinctively reached into his satchel bag and flicked open the tricorder. Instantly it burst to life to aid the man in his observations. 
 
== GM Input - What does the tricorder observe? ==

  • 0

#4 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.24 @ 20:39 (08:39 PM)

Centuries of spaceflight and they still can't figure out how to make comfortable seats. 

 

Robin wondered if the shuttle was configured to carry assault teams. She didn't really have knowledge of things such as deployment, but it seemed like the cabin was designed to get people out as quickly as possible, and their comfort wasn't very high on the list. She was glad the flight was short. The young nurse waited nervously as the clamps sealed and Security used a tricorder to open the hatch. The air that flowed through was warm and dry, and she didn't find it unpleasant. 

 

Feels like Iota Tau on a summer afternoon. Kind of nice, actually, after spending so much time on a ship. Never quite seems warm enough on the Artemis. 

 

The purple-haired Lieutenant followed the Security team members, letting them secure the area before proceeding. The interior lighting was an unpleasant dim yellow. She blinked and gave time for her augment eyes to adjust to the glow, the feeling of familiarity vanishing as quickly as it had appeared. This'll probably give me a headache. 

 

She heard Ed ask "Is it just me or is it hot in here?" and nodded at the older man as he popped open his tricorder and began scans. 

 

"Yeah," she said. "Reminds me of my home planet." Just as the science officer had done, she opened the medical tricorder she kept clipped to her belt and began scanning for pathogens and toxins. The odds of any disease organisms here being on the tricorder's database were remote, but it was standard operating procedure for a medic on an away mission like this. Toxins might register, of course, and they were at least more likely to show up on the medical device's sensors. 

 

== GM Input, please: does Robin's tricorder detect any known disease or any substances that are toxic to the team? == 


Edited by Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair, Star Date 22105.24 @ 20:40 (08:40 PM).

  • 0

#5 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.25 @ 03:05 (03:05 AM)

Remembering back to a trip that he had taken with Commander Braggins, Nathan had wished he had taken one of the cockpit seats instead of slumming it in the back. Even though the cockpit seats in the Archangel weren’t necessarily super comfy either, they were better than the bench seating. In fact, the security officer had considered standing. Though, he didn’t have to, as the trip to the station hadn’t been all that long, and hearing the clamps was a welcome event.

 

Grabbing his gear, Nathan armed up, taking elements as needed out of his armament case including a couple of flashbangs and a photon grenade. Then, he pulled out the PR-1A, checked the safety, and loaded it with lethal rounds. It felt odd, gearing up like he was for a place that was supposed to be abandoned. But a wave of experience told him that even the most deserted locations housed terrible things. Extra mags, his phaser pistol, and energy cells for that also secured, Ramius felt as ready as he could be.

 

Falling in directly behind De Fonto, he watched as she started the codebreaking to get aboard the station. Then, almost simultaneously, they both looked back at Alken and Mayfair who seemingly looked like they were ready to dash out of the runabout the moment the station door opened. A frown filled his face, though it almost instantly softened.

 

I remember being that excited.

 

A little bit of memory crossed his thoughts, of him sitting in a shuttle and impatiently wanting to know what was happening on the Gettysburg. Instead of waiting to arrive, and get a briefing, he had opened a datastream to the ship to get an update. Ben, who didn’t know him at all at the time, had made a comment. And Nathan had sent over his access codes like he was supposed to according to protocol. But whatever security setup the Getty had in its firewalls, it had registered it as a cyber attack instead of an official access request. That had led to his first encounter with one Jennifer ‘Smokin’’ Braggins.

 

So, I can’t fault them for wanting to get on with things, but we do have a job to do first.

 

As soon as the heat hit though, yet another memory struck Nathan. The hairs on his entire body, even on his cheeks, rose up.

 

****,” he tried to say under his breath.

 

Instantly, his body tensed and his eyes searched the gangways of the station from their current perspective. He knew exactly what he would be looking for, and was happy that he didn’t find what he initially though he might see. Instead of an eerie green glow, the lighting was yellow. Still, the slight vibrations and sounds of energy thrumming kept him on edge.

 

Alken and Mayfair spoke back and forth about the heat, and Nathan had to hold back from giving his own commentary about the environment. He decided to interject after Robin finished, and addressed the two.

 

“Stay behind us, and remember to give us room to work as we check for traps. Also, keep your spacing too. The explosive radii of some lethal deterrents can be measured in tens of meters.

 

Or more, he left unsaid.

 

With that done, he tapped De Fonto on the shoulder twice, giving her the go ahead to push forward if safe. Behind her, he kept his rifle down toward the deck, but in a ready position on his shoulder. Nathan’s eyes searched and kept tabs on obvious areas where they might be ambushed from the dark.

 

== tags ==


  • 0

#6 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.25 @ 03:17 (03:17 AM)

== NRC - Petty Officer 3rd Class Ashley De Fonto, Security ==

 

The ride was short. Ashley nearly whispered a thanks to whatever higher powers were out in the Universe. Briggs did what he could to make the flight a smooth and quick affair, and De Fonto considered thanking the Lieutenant Commander after the mission with a glass of Saurian Brandy. The feeling of the docking clamps attaching pulled Ashley from her future thinking, and set to work.

 

De Fonto gathered up all of her gear, finding some room to put on her backpack, before pulling out her tricorder out. Once the Orion’s hatch opened up, Ashley went over to the station access portal and started up a codebreaking algorithm. Behind her, she could feel a couple of people getting antsy already. A quick glance confirmed that both the scientist and the nurse were the first to be moving. It made her smile slightly, though she hoped that they’d let the Security team do their work. Ashley’s tricorder chirped, and showed a shade of green on it’s display, as the algorithm finalized the code needed to open the door.

 

“Here we go,” she murmured, perhaps too quietly for anyone to hear.

 

Instantly, it was warm. Hot, even, as it washed over Ashley. It was surprising, considering that keeping such temperatures in the fringes of the repair station would have probably taken a considerable amount of power for a quietly abandoned facility.

 

Either way, Ashley shrugged, while her eyes searched the area ahead of them. Looking for any obvious clues of traps visual, she then switched back to her tricorder. Scanning the area ahead, she was looking for modern traps and devices, as well as more old and ancient style stuff, like pressure plates, wires, or infrared beams. Considering what she had heard about the mine during a staff briefing from Coleman, Ashley thought it safer to look for things that might not be more state-of-the-art deterrents.

 

Behind her, Ramius was ‘reading’ Mayfair and Alken the ‘riot act’, which she appreciated. Then, when he finished, she felt him tap her shoulder.

 

Alright, time to get us out of the runabout, and some room so the Captain can address us if needed.

 

Carefully, Ash moved forward. Her eyes darted around, visually checking things, while also keeping tabs on her tricorder.

 

== GM Input: Any obvious traps uncovered from a visual check? Anything on tricorder scan, including less tech versions of booby traps? ==


  • 0

#7 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.25 @ 03:56 (03:56 AM)

The next thing he knew, Benjamin felt a large jolt as the runabout docked with the station. He blinked a couple of times and looked around, stretching as surreptitiously as he could sitting at the small engineering/ops console. Maybe I should have taken the extra-strength brew that was sitting there, he considered, though only for a moment. The captain would likely have murdered him if he took her coffee, assuming that the coffee itself didn't kill him for the affront of not being a Crawford. He instead just took another drink from his thermos as he listened to the activity in the back.

 

"Docking collar is secure and pressurized," he reported after a quick consult of his console. "Looks like they're working on getting through the lock now." And no, I was definitely paying attention this entire time, he added to himself, despite it being a bald-face lie.

 

He stood and stretched a bit more before slinging his engineering kit over his shoulder. He checked his sidearm quickly, and then his tricorder. This close to the station, it was interfacing with both the Orion's sensors and the station itself to make a better map than they had had before. With where they had docked, it was up to all of their destinations: the repair bays weren't far, but then the command center was all the way at the top of the station. I really hope there's an elevator.

 

He sighed, and realized that Eli and Nathan were on the security team. It was going to be a few minutes while they cleared the area of any traps or the like. So, instead of heading out into the crowded aft area immediately, he turned to Tyra and Briggs. "Any idea on how we want to handle this, ma'am?" he asked. "From what I can tell, we'll pass by the repair bays on the way up to the command deck, but we'll be a fair while trying to take inventory and determine how and even if we can repair the deflector." He brought the map up on his console so that his two superior officers could see what he was looking at. "I hate to have us split up by several decks, but that may be our best bet for the moment."

 

==Tag Tyra and Briggs==


Edited by Lt Benjamin Elias, Star Date 22105.25 @ 03:57 (03:57 AM).

  • 0

#8 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.25 @ 07:02 (07:02 AM)

Eli was definitely thankful for small mercies when the Orion docked safely and without incident. Taking her mind off a platitude of different thoughts, that ranged from her family, the uncomfortable bench seats and what they would find on the station. Although the journey from the Artemis had been short, her mind hadn't stopped turning over, glad to have something new to focus on. Her ritual was no longer needed and despite the seating, knew it could of been worse and at least this time, they didn't have to climb over one of the spiders. Not that she needed any reminders of the Rogue Planet as De Fonto opened the hatch and Eli instinctively gathered and double checked what she would be taking with her.

Practice meant that it didn't take her long to do so, leaving her PR - 1A for the moment, after her and Nathan had agreed, that he would be the one to take his. Then it was time to start moving, noticing the eagerness from Alken and Robin. Their excitement at being on an away mission was something she understood, even if that had become slightly jaded over the years.

The heat that welcomed them as she stood near De Fonto and Nathan out of the Orion, was almost overwhelming, forcing Eli to take a deep breath. Not that it helped much as tricorders were produced and various scans were performed. Only listening to the conversation between Alken and Robin, before Nathan spoke to them. Knowing that there was more that hadn't been said but at the same time, it was all that Nathan had to say as it was their job to keep everyone safe.

When De Fonto then moved forward and out of the Orion, Eli followed her and Nathan. Ensuring that the others followed and once they announced an all clear, would move to take up a rear position to cover all bases.


== Tags ==
  • 0

#9 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22105.26 @ 15:24 (03:24 PM)

There were no traps visible to the naked eye, nor were there any showing up on the Tricorder. Either they were particularly well-hidden, or more likely given the position of the hatch, the area was deemed less-likely to be used for a boarding operation and therefore had gone untrapped simply to conserve resources.


  • 0

#10 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.27 @ 03:24 (03:24 AM)

== NRC - Petty Officer 3rd Class Ashley De Fonto, Security ==

 

Slowly acclimating to the heat, Ashley’s scans on the tricorder were coming up with nothing, while her visual scrutiny wasn’t turning up anything fruitful either. Eventually, she just had to say it.

 

“It looks clear, sir,” De Fonto had said, tossing the words back toward Ramius, but loud enough for the majority of people in the nearby vicinity to hear.

 

“Either they’ve hidden some especially crafty traps, or there isn’t anything here.”

 

Ashley didn’t tuck the tricorder away however, keeping it out just in case. She also continued her staggered sort of walking, opting to make her way to the elevator with her original heightened discernment, just in case there really were advanced deterrents.

 

Every so often, De Fonto’s eyes would jump up and take a look around. She was certain that Ramius was keenly keeping watch too, but Ash knew she needed to be aware of her greater surroundings and not just the walkway ahead. All around, she noticed multitudes of gantries and gangways. There was a sensation that crawled up her spine a bit, a minor feeling as though something felt off or wrong about the place in general. It didn’t take her attention away from her business though, but it helped her mediate her pace, keeping it in check. It meant that she didn’t wander too far ahead from the main group, which was good in case she needed covering fire from the other officers behind her.

 

Taking another brief glance at the tricorder, Ashley finally found herself at the elevator. Now, she increased the scanning area, so that she could get a bigger picture of the place. It seemed like there were larger bays above them, likely hanger decks or perhaps the repair bays that they were seeking. Further than that though was the command center near the tip-top of the station.

 

If anything, the command center is surely going to be trapped. Same for the repair bays, or wherever there is costly tools and machinery. I mean, if there are any traps at all.

 

“Why would you leave a perfectly good station?” she mused to herself.

 

“If they didn’t leave willingly, they wouldn’t have had time to leave traps behind either, right?”

 

Bringing the scans back in, Ashley started doing a scan of the service elevator and shaft. She was left wondering if it was a good idea to even use the lift, but hoped that she’d be able to clear it; hauling *** up flights of stairs, or worse, maintenance tubes with her gear didn’t sound like a good time.

 

 

== GM input: Sorry to ping you again. Can Ashley’s tricorder scan the height of the elevator shaft, car, and cables, etc? Anything detected? Also just going to add in: any results for the Science and Medical tricorders? Thank you. ==


  • 0

#11 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.28 @ 00:04 (12:04 AM)

As security worked on getting through the lock of the docking port, Tyra had stood up, one hand resting on the auxiliary console and the other resting on her phaser as if she half expected the docking port to open to some leaping enemy that might attempt to gain access to the vessel. However, despite where her hand was resting, the rest of her body language was surprisingly relaxed and her expression was more of general curiosity.
 
"Any idea on how we want to handle this, ma'am?" Elias asked from off to one side of her. "From what I can tell, we'll pass by the repair bays on the way up to the command deck, but we'll be a fair while trying to take inventory and determine how and even if we can repair the deflector. I hate to have us split up by several decks, but that may be our best bet for the moment."
 
There was a moment's pause before Tyra turned enough that she could see the diagram, pausing to examine it before returning to her previous view. "Seems like something we'll figure out when we there. No sense putting the cart before the horse just yet," she answered with a tiny shrug and the hints of a wry smile. 
 
Unlike Elias, who seemed hesitant to split up, Tyra thought it was a far better operating procedure. It was inefficient to be in a large group such as the one they had because it was easy for people to just end up standing around while a few did the work, whereas in a small group there wasn't such a luxury. Admittedly, it posed an issue with the security side of the house but if it allowed them to figure out what had happened to the station while also cataloging the engineering equipment and supplies, it was worth the headache.
 
As it became clear that the lock was breached, Tyra shifted forward to settle behind the security element. Oh, there was a part of her that wanted to be on the front lines but that wasn't her role anymore. Much like a good team leader knew to fall into the middle of the pack in order to see, observe and make decisions without falling to tunnel vision, she had to have the same clear, wide view in such situations. Plus, it wasn't like she needed to purposefully put herself in bad positions to ultimately end in a bad position, if the Rogue Planet and the augments had taught her anything. 
 
The air was warm and dry as the hatch opened. It felt like a warm desert day and likely, if they remained in the environment long enough, dehydration would become a concern, even if they weren't exerting themselves. The fact of the matter was that none of them were use to being warm or sweating, outside of working out or holodeck adventures. Though that wasn't her immediate concern as her blue eyes, after scanning down the immediate area, dropped to inspect the area's floorboards for indications of tampering before stepping through the hatch. Fortunately, there didn't appear to be any, though it didn't stop Ramius from warning Mayfair and Alken against being so eager. However, she wasn't sure either would have the situational understanding to truly comprehend how poorly it could have gone if the hatch had been tampered with. 
 
She was pleased to see the three security officers take the potential for booby traps seriously without prompting, a sign that maybe Ramius was developing into the security officer she had always seen below the very, very rough surface. Still, just because there weren't any obvious signs, didn't mean there weren't any... she knew that well from years past....
 
For a second, the air turned cool and moist against her skin as the walls took on a darker shade of gray and the floors turned a shinier hue.  Even with the cooler air, there was a thin layer of sweat under her combat fatigues and body armor from climbing through the tubes and shafts of the outpost after they had shut down the turbolifts. Her old faithful rifle, the one now in Bryan's possession, was slung over her shoulder as she stood in the outpost's corridor watching her officers scurry about as if their lives depended upon it, and they did. She didn't remember the outpost's number anymore but she certainly wouldn't forget how her department of green security officers and a unit of equally green marines, almost none of which had fought a single skirmish in the Romulan War yet, had fought back a much larger force of Romulans that day. Oh, she was certain that there wasn't a single tactics instructor that would have been happy with the very guerilla methods they had used but sometimes, survival necessitated such tactics. Unfortunately, that day hadn't been all victories....
 
She swallowed down the grimace that thoughts of Torgh usually brought, despite the fact that she had been vindicated on that particular matter. She blinked again, pushing thoughts of that outpost aside for the present where there might or might not be similar booby traps. She supposed it ultimately depended on why the occupants had left and they wouldn't know that until they made it upstairs.
 
"Briggs, make lock the Orion up to our voice codes," she called back to her CTO before focusing on the security officers, who were wrapping up their current task.
 
At the all clear call from De Fonto, Tyra shifted forward away from the hatch. Her steps were sure and confident as she moved forward, though the way her eyes shifted back and forth, up and down, gave away the amount of attention she felt the situation deserved.  In her experience, it was far better to be overly cautious, or paranoid as some would call it, than to underestimate the level of danger.  And despite making sure she didn't move ahead of the furthest security officers, De Fonto, she was still just as cautious. 
 
“Why would you leave a perfectly good station?” she heard De Fonto muse upon reaching the elevator.
 
"Isn't that the question that would make everything clearer?" Tyra offered, stopping a step behind De Fonto to allow the woman to do her due diligence in checking the elevator.
 
Now, Tyra supposed, it was time to address Elias' earlier question about how exactly they were going to handle this particular situation. She didn't think there was any option other than splitting up for the sake of efficiency and getting this entire sage settled as quickly as possible. Clearly, she needed to go to the command center and Elias plus his minion needed to go to the repair bays. While it would have made sense to send Briggs with Elias as he was the next ranking officer, Briggs would be more useful in the command center. Security would split up, likely with Eli and De Fonto accompanying Elias and Ramius coming with her. It allowed her both to watch Ramius but also gave her confidence that their tactics were compatible should things go awry. That left Alken and Mayfair... Alken would likely be more help in the repair bay whereas, hopefully, Mayfair ddin't need to do any actual medical work.
 
"Once security clears the elevator, we're going to head up. When we reach the repair bays, the engineers, led by Elias, will take McKenna, De Fonto and Alken to check out our supplies. Be cognizant of possible booby traps or security systems. Briggs, Ramius and Mayfair will come with me to the command center. Let's keep track of anything that might indicate where the owners went but our priority is accounting for what they have and getting out of here with a plan in place."
 
== GM: Is the elevator big enough for the whole group? ==

  • 0

#12 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22105.28 @ 12:21 (12:21 PM)

==Apologies y'all, this is what happens when you skim a thread and only see the words 'GM Input' once! I must be slowing down!==

 

==Alken and Mayfair==

 

There was nothing particularly significant to report; the gantries, walkways and interior bulkheads were all made of metal composites native to the Delta Quadrant, while the trace radiation in the atmosphere was well within safety levels for the Away Team. There was nothing airborne that would be toxic to the crew, but given the state of some of the handholds, it would be better for those not wearing gloves to keep their hands to themselves lest they get a nasty cut and suffer the possibility of infection.

 

==Crawford==

 

The elevator car was fairly large, probably to facilitate the transport of spare parts and personnel at the same time and reduce the construction time needed for installing separate elevators. It could hold the entire team, but it would be a squeeze; any backpacks or equipment bags would have to be placed on the floor and the team would need to be very comfortable with each other.

 

==Ramius/Coleman==

 

The shaft seemed to run the full height of the station, with horizontal shafts about a third of the way up to facilitate travel down the station's "arms". Though seemingly not having been used for some time, the integrity of the shaft equipment and the car itself looked fairly intact and safe for use.


  • 0

#13 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.29 @ 01:43 (01:43 AM)

Robin flipped the tricorder closed and attached it to her belt. "I hate to be 'the overly cautious medic,' but be really careful with those handholds if you don't have gloves." The nurse pointed at a couple of them, just in case some of the team hadn't noticed them. They looked like they had been badly maintained, some with sharp metal just ready to dig into an unwary hand and interesting stains that didn't look at all like they'd be good to get into a wound. She hoped she wouldn't have to point out the risk of infection; everyone on the team had gone through basic first aid training at the Academy, and some of them were veterans of numerous away missions. 

 

Yeah, and did I bring gloves? Aside from the medical gloves in my kit, no. 

 

A few minutes in and the young nurse was already feeling ill-prepared. She'd grown up on a barren world and had often wandered as a teenager, so she knew to carry survival supplies with her. But she hadn't even thought about anything except the medical gear in her kit and a few ration bars. 

 

Got to do something about that when I get back to the ship. 

 

It wasn't important now. Tyra had taken stock of the situation and had decided how to deploy the team. "Once security clears the elevator, we're going to head up. When we reach the repair bays, the engineers, led by Elias, will take McKenna, De Fonto and Alken to check out our supplies. Be cognizant of possible booby traps or security systems. Briggs, Ramius and Mayfair will come with me to the command center. Let's keep track of anything that might indicate where the owners went but our priority is accounting for what they have and getting out of here with a plan in place." 

 

Robin nodded and just said "Yes, Ma'am," her soft southern accent less pronounced than the Captain's. Having been chastened by Lt. Ramius, the purple-haired nurse wasn't so eager to jump in on the heels of Security. He'd been absolutely right. There was no telling what traps or other dangers were here, and all it would take is a moment's inattention. 


  • 0

#14 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.29 @ 04:48 (04:48 AM)

Benjamin wasn't entirely surprised when Tyra barely looked at the map. "Seems like something we'll figure out when we there. No sense putting the cart before the horse just yet," she said with a shrug and a ghost of a smile before heading back into the main bay.

 

I don't know what I really expected, he thought, but shut off the monitor and followed on. He knew she had been a security officer back before being in command, and if there was one thing he knew it was that instincts like that never really went away. She was going to be towards the forefront, whether or not that was the most ideal place for her; sure, she'd temper that somewhat, but in a group this small being anywhere behind the leading security elements was close enough to everyone else to command effectively, so he was sure she was going to be as close to that front as she could be.

 

He simply sighed, though, and followed behind. Security already had the door open and people were beginning to file out of the runabout. Fortunately, Stelic hadn't followed suit, and stood with his equipment in hand and watching the door. "How should we proceed, chief?" he asked, that damned smirk still on his face.

 

Benjamin sighed, recognizing the irony. "Well, we'll just have to follow the captain's lead," he said. "I don't think we'll need anything from the big kit, so we'll leave it stowed for now. Just grab your bag, and let's get a move on." The Vulcan nodded and headed on towards the hatch, and the two engineers joined the larger group in the passageway.

 

The first thing he noticed was how hot it was. He was glad that he'd changed into class C's for this, as the utility uniform breathed a little better than the typical uniform would, but even so he wished he'd thought to pack a water bottle rather than the coffee. Just one more thing, he thought, and carried on. He could see the elevator from where the group stood, though they were all behind the cordon that Security had formed while checking the area out. He had assumed that the station wouldn't realistically be trapped, but that was why he was in engineering and not security.

 

He could see Tyra mulling over things as security continued to work, and listened when she did speak up. "Once security clears the elevator, we're going to head up. When we reach the repair bays, the engineers, led by Elias, will take McKenna, De Fonto and Alken to check out our supplies. Be cognizant of possible booby traps or security systems. Briggs, Ramius and Mayfair will come with me to the command center. Let's keep track of anything that might indicate where the owners went but our priority is accounting for what they have and getting out of here with a plan in place."

 

Oh boy, he thought. He'd expected either the captain or Briggs would be taking a lead position with him down in the equipment bays; instead, the team was his to lead. Isn't this going to be fun. He knew he shouldn't be that worried about it; after all, he led an entire department of engineers, and had led engineering teams in away missions before. Somehow, though, it felt odd knowing that there were also two security officers and a scientist that he was responsible for now, one of them being his friend. "Understood, ma'am," he said on autopilot as he continued to try and think.

 

It didn't help that Stelic was still looking at him like a dog waiting for his next command, still smirking. It didn't matter that the Vulcan literally couldn't make his mouth relax; it was just unnerving.

 

Instead of dwelling on that some more, he moved over to where Alken was. "Don't think we've been properly introduced," he said quietly as security continued to work. "I'm Benjamin." He held out his hand to the scientist in greeting, letting a smile break across his face, crinkling the scar tissue around his artificial right eye. "You ready for an exciting day of inventorying a derelict station?"

 

==Tag Alken==


  • 0

#15 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22105.29 @ 10:01 (10:01 AM)

If the slightly stifling heat was the only thing that they had to worry about, then Eli had no qualms in getting sweaty and putting up with it. Although if there was something else lurking in the almost stillness of the station, then they would have bigger concerns than the slight perspiration that was currently pooling on her brow and under her arms. For once luck might be on their side as Ashley called back that it looked clear. From her own visual assessment, Eli had to concur as nothing was jumping out at them yet. As for potential traps, they still couldn't take any chances even if they weren't any present at the moment.

" Either that or this particular level was left trap free" Eli commented as Ashley kept the tricorder out. A wise move as the group began to moved towards an elevator. Again there was a subtle reminder of walking into an old horror movie but luckily Eli was drawn away from that particular image as Tyra answered Ashley's musings about the station.

That was definitely a question that needed an answer as Tyra then moved closer to Ashley as the Petty Officer scanned the elevator, before issuing orders. Whilst the idea of splitting up hadn't initially occurred to Eli, she saw the logic behind it, considering the purpose of their mission here. Either way she would be with one of her friends as she listened, knowing what her role would be.

" Understood Captain" she said acknowledging the order as Ben then spoke to Alken who would also be a part of their group. Deciding to move over, Eli caught the end of what her friend and senior officer had said. " When you say it like that Ben, how can someone not think it would be" she teased slightly, knowing that this was likely the last chance for them to enjoy some light hearted conversation before the real work began.

== Tags ==
  • 0

#16 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.29 @ 11:47 (11:47 AM)

Robin spoke up as the team prepared to follow the Captain's orders. "Before we get started, can I have everyone's attention? Do you all have water? And no, coffee doesn't count," she said with a grin. 

 

In fact, that's the last thing anyone should be drinking in this place. It's a natural diuretic. 

 

Her medkit did have electrolyte mix packets designed to treat dehydration, but not enough for long-term if they were going to be here a while. The Captain intended this to only be a scouting mission, but as the old saying went, 'everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.' Even a few hours here might be pushing it. It wasn't just fluid loss through sweat that they had to worry about, it was loss of electrolytes like potassium and magnesium. A sudden increase in temperature could be also dangerous, and this certainly qualified. 

 

The newly-minted Head Nurse looked over the team, many of whom (aside from Stelic, the Vulcan) were already sweating in their brief exposure to the heat. She'd grown up in a place like this, and had known what to look for long before she had left home. "Please keep an eye on each other for dehydration. Fatigue, extreme thirst, dizziness, confusion, or dry mouth. And heatstroke as well... Confusion, slurred speech, nausea, rapid breathing, headache, or a body temperature of 40C or more. Don't wait to drink water, keep yourself hydrated." She reached into her medkit and began handing out a couple of small silver packets to each team member.

 

"Add this to your water. Captain," the young nurse asked as she handed Tyra the electrolyte packets, "permission to raid the Runabout for supplies before we move out?" She was sure the Captain wouldn't have objections, but she wanted to follow protocol before heading back into the ship. 

 

== Tags ==


  • 0

#17 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.30 @ 14:57 (02:57 PM)

== NRC - Petty Officer 3rd Class Ashley De Fonto, Security ==

 

"Isn't that the question that would make everything clearer?"

 

Ashley nodded when the Skipper addressed her ramblings, feeling a little sheepish that Crawford had overheard the commentary. However, she didn’t let that interfere with what she was doing, and continued to go about her work, even if her cheeks were slightly flushed.

 

" Either that or this particular level was left trap free" Lieutenant McKenna offered up, and again Ashley could only nod. Perhaps the original inhabitants didn’t think that someone would access the station from such a remote area. Yet, as Ashley saw it, this access point could have easily been defended by one or two well placed deterrents, due to the nature of the space. It wouldn’t really have taken much resources, compared to other larger areas.

 

As the scans came back, everything seemed to be in order; the car itself was intact, and the rest of the equipment seemed to be safe to use. The part that bothered De Fonto wasn’t that everything looked good. It was that it all looked to be unused. Not completely so, but just generally unused for some time. It was just another odd piece of the odd puzzle.

 

Everyone decides to go on vacation, but the leaves the heat on? Also, no one uses the elevator to gtfo, they all just figure that is too much work and use the stairs?

 

There was the consideration that they just beamed off the station. However, without knowing if there were transporter pads, Ashley couldn’t say for sure if that was even an option. Though it did give credence to an abduction theory. In the back of De Fonto’s mind, she made a note to check and see if there were any empty escape pod launchers.

 

Captain Crawford spoke up as Ash put the finishing touches on her check, and smiled when she heard that she’d be heading to the repair bays. There would be a lot to explore in the bays, which is what De Fonto was looking forward to.

 

“…Be cognizant of possible booby traps or security systems…”

 

Aye aye, Ash responded in her head, not wanting to interrupt the Captain while she was speaking. And it seemed good that Ashley was already thinking of the original tenants angle, as Tyra spoke to that as well. However, De Fonto did remind herself that the traps and triggers was her primary focus. If she was able to clear the area that Elias and his engineers needed to do their work, then she could find time for the secondary objective of solving the mystery of the abandoned station.

 

Once Captain Crawford finished, Mayfair reminded everyone to keep hydrated. Ashley nodded, knowing she had a canteen in her backpack that she’d get to once they finished their initial clear of the bays. De Fonto was about to speak up, but Robin continued to speak to the Captain directly, and Ash decided to wait for Tyra to give the nurse a reply back, before giving her report on the elevator.

 

“Elevator looks intact Skipper, if unused for some time. From what I could scan, it all looks to be in working order, and I didn’t detect anything funny or dangerous. The shaft goes up to the top, but there are also secondary horizontal shafts that will allow travel down the station arms.”

 

 

== tags ==


  • 0

#18 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.31 @ 14:09 (02:09 PM)

There were no concerns or arguments with the plan that Tyra laid out and for that, Tyra was grateful. While she had no issue with genuine concerns or anyone pointing out a hole in the logic, she found that younger officers tended to ask unnecessary questions just to seem engaged and all that did was slow the over all expedition down. Alternatively, when Mayfair spoke up, it was with an actual medically related concern that very likely would begin to be a problem, depending on how long it took to inventory the station.
 
"Please keep an eye on each other for dehydration. Fatigue, extreme thirst, dizziness, confusion, or dry mouth. And heatstroke as well... Confusion, slurred speech, nausea, rapid breathing, headache, or a body temperature of 40C or more. Don't wait to drink water, keep yourself hydrated." 
 
While Tyra had never lived in a dry location, she had operated within them on numerous instances in her career, particularly during her time on Search and Rescue. She also had been raised in the hot and humid region of Satan's armpit, which meant she was well aware of the need to remain hydrated. There was a hydration pack secured within her cargo pants, which just suggested she'd done the right thing by swapping to her Class C's instead of remaining in the more formal and slightly more command appropriate Bs.
 
"Add this to your water. Captain," the young nurse asked as she handed Tyra the electrolyte packets, "permission to raid the Runabout for supplies before we move out?"
 
The redhead took the packet with one hand and dug for her hydration pack with the other, even as she nodded. "Go check it out but be fast," she said with a small smile.
 
With the purple haired nurse moving back to the shuttle, hopefully before Briggs locked it up, the redhead dumped the packet into her water before stowing the water back into her pocket. Her blue eyes swept the group, noting that there was already a little separation between the two groups as Elias greeted his small team. Despite him still being rather young in terms of his career, she had no doubt that Elias would do well as a team leader, especially if he remembered the all important lessons learned from the Rogue Planet.  She also had no doubt that McKenna would be of great assistance in keeping the younger officers in check, which was why Tyra had sent her with Ben instead of keeping her.
 
“Elevator looks intact Skipper, if unused for some time. From what I could scan, it all looks to be in working order, and I didn’t detect anything funny or dangerous. The shaft goes up to the top, but there are also secondary horizontal shafts that will allow travel down the station arms," De Fonto reported.
 
Tyra took in that information with a small nod. "What do you make of that? The station has only been abandoned for maybe a week but the elevator has remained unused beyond that... it doesn't make my gut feel very comfortable."
 
Once Mayfair had returned to the group, Tyra motioned to the elevator. "Let's load up, kids. It's got to be a tight fit so the team going to the command center and getting off last needs to load up first and the engineering crew load up last for a smooth transition. I hope everyone took showers today or we're all going to know..."
 
With that wry quip, Tyra took the initiative to start the boarding process and put herself against the back bulkhead to allow everyone else as much space as possible. Once everyone was loaded, the command would be given to take them to the repair deck first.
 
== GM Input: Once everyone is loaded, does the elevator actually move? What do we find at our first stop? ==

  • 0

#19 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22105.31 @ 15:03 (03:03 PM)

Robin nodded and said "Yes, Ma'am" as the Captain gave her permission to raid the runabout. Tyra was clearly about ready to move out, so the purple-haired nurse moved quickly back inside and headed to the back. The conditioned air felt downright chilly to her after only a short time on the abandoned station. 

 

Opening the main supply cabinet, she grabbed a medkit and fished out a box of dehydration packets. Thankfully they were small and light, and she shoved them in her own kit without overstuffing it. The Lieutenant looked around inside and spotted a small lightweight bag which she filled with hydration packs, making sure not to add too many. It wouldn't do to be burdened down with so many that it would slow her down if she had to move quickly. Water was heavy, and she was an experienced backpacker both on Iota Tau and on Terra so she knew not to carry too much.

 

OK, there was that incident on my first trip into the Earth wilderness where I had to call for rescue services, but nobody needs to know about that. God knows I heard enough about it at the Academy. 

 

One last thing... work gloves. Thankfully Star Fleet (bless 'em) had designed these shuttles to have all the basic supplies needed to survive after a crash landing, and there was a box with tough synthetic leather gloves that should be able to handle anything short of a spike going through them. She took a half dozen pairs and added them to the bag, just so she'd have enough to distribute for anyone who might need them. 

 

With that the young Augment did a quick mental inventory. Satisfied that she had enough she headed back out into the heat as the Captain spoke. Fortunately she'd showered this morning (and wasn't sweating as badly as some on the team), but some on the the team were going to get ripe pretty quickly. 


  • 0

#20 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.01 @ 01:55 (01:55 AM)

With it all being declared clear, and their destinations given to them, Nathan settled himself. Slinging the rifle, he eyed the elevator with some suspicion. But that passed as quickly as it formed, as there was a storm of the thoughts, emotions, and memories running through the Security Officer, and none of them were reassuring. Which is why he wanted to ground himself and focus.

 

“De Fonto, with me.”

 

The Petty Officer turned around and looked at him with a confused face. The consternation on Ashley’s face cleared as she saw that Nathan was in fact being serious and already walking away. With some hustle, Ashley turned about and headed back for the Orion with Nathan, just as Robin was going back too.

 

“Don’t suppose there is a reason we are going back to the runabout?” Ashley prodded him verbally, and Nathan took it as the good-humored jab he was sure she intended it to be.

 

“We are about to head into unknown territory, into areas that may or may not have been booby trapped, by some unknown occupants, who suddenly left a perfectly good refuge, keeping the heat on like they were just running out for some groceries, with someone who is a Fleet Commander in all but name, in space known to be occupied by a race of cyborgs who like it hot.”

 

It was just the sound of their boots on the gantry, the hot air swirling about them in a self-made sort of breeze. Then, Nathan could practically hear the realization in the sudden intake of breath that Ashley took in.

 

“The pattern enhancers.”

The pattern enhancers.”

 

The pair nearly said in stereo.

 

“I once had to do this assessment,” they reached the Orion, and Nathan quickly worked, grabbing two of the enchancers for himself, and one for De Fonto.

 

“And it should have been easy. I mean, excepting the circumstances that is. That isn’t the point though. The point is, I did the assessment and it was similar to the scenario we find ourselves in right now. Thinking back on it, if I could have changed my tactics…”

 

There was a steadily long pause of conversation from Ramius then, even though his body was doing work. Remembering back to what Logan said, it didn’t staunch the feeling of failure that washed over Nathan at the time, and now again in the present as he relived it. Despite doing what he had thought was right, Ramius had still lost. In fact, with the current perspective that he carried, Nathan realized that there was no winning that particular situation even if he had wanted to. There would have been loss somewhere despite best efforts. However, if he had the chance to bring other items, equipment, resources, manpower, or knowledge with him should Nathan have to do the assessment again, he would.

 

“You didn’t win did you?” Ash had figured out something along the lines of what Nathan was going to say to her before he had stopped speaking.

 

“No. But it would have been nice to have something like these along. Let’s hump these back to the elevator double time.”

 

It really hadn’t taken all that much time, and once they had closed the access hatch to the runabout, they were following close on the heels of Mayfair.

 

“Whatever happened back then, and whatever we are in for now, here is hoping we don’t need these,” Ash remarked with a grin. Nathan, however, didn’t return the wry humor.

 

“Here is hoping.”


  • 0

#21 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.02 @ 01:16 (01:16 AM)

Before the scientist could say anything, Eli walked up behind him and smiled. "When you say it like that, Ben," she teased," how can someone not think it would be?"

 

He chuckled. "I mean, anything to keep the group's spirits up." He then turned, hearing the medic start to speak and admonish everyone to keep water handy, though he did chuckle at the mention of the coffee. He had fortunately been wise enough to leave it on the runabout, and instead had a couple of small flasks of water in one of the cargo pockets on his pants. He patted them, just to make sure that they were there, before also tapping his other pockets to feel the tools there, too. It wasn't exactly a dignified action, but it helped ease his mind before they moved on.

 

He took a dehydration packet from the young, purple-haired Mayfair and thanked her for it before turning back to his people just in time to be interrupted again. This time, they were boarding the elevator. "Well," he said as he re-set the engineering kit on his shoulder and looked around. "I guess we'll have to get to know each other a bit more on the job." He waved at Stelic to get him moving before turning back to the others. "Let's get ready to get on," he said. "Like the Captain said, we're last, so wait off to the side." He then put actions to words, leading them over towards the elevator but trying to stand clear.

 

Somehow, he found himself counting everyone as they boarded the thing. Three, four, five, he thought as the last of the command center team boarded, followed by six, seven, and so on as he got his own people aboard. Benjamin boarded last, taking up a position just inside the elevator's doors as they slid close just barely behind him, holding his kit close and having his hand resting on the butt of his pistol. He may not have been a trained security officer, but he knew that if this went bad not only was he on the front line, but this was basically a turkey shoot.

 

Once the door closed, he could feel the tension in the room, and it made his eye twitch. "So," he said before he could even think about it, "I bet you're all wondering why I called this meeting..."

 

==Tags all==


  • 0

#22 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.02 @ 09:05 (09:05 AM)

It was good to hear the chuckle from Ben, however before she could answer her friend, Robin got everyone's attention as the Nurse asked them to keep an eye on one another. From what she then said, Eli understood why as she accepted the sachets from Robin with a thank you. The last thing anyone needed was to become unwell so any preventative measures taken now, made a lot of sense, especially with the heat they had encountered already.

Then as Ashley confirmed that the elevator was clear, that was definitely a good thing as the Captain agreed to Robin raiding the Orion for supplies as long as she was quick, before speaking with Ashley. It was certainly curious as to why the elevator hadn't been used, but hopefully it wouldn't be anything sinister as they were given the order to enter the lift. Thankful that she had a shower this morning, not that it felt like it right now as Robin returned, along with Nathan and Ashley who had grabbed the pattern enhancers. Good thinking she thought as she offered to take one. "Want me to take one?" she asked Nathan as everyone boarded the elevator in the right order.

Being one of the last, Eli tried to take up as little room as possible, hand instinctively resting over her weapon holster. " You can say that again " Eli quipped back as Ben tried to diffuse the tension when the doors closed.

== Tags ==
  • 0

#23 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22106.02 @ 13:06 (01:06 PM)

The elevator, for a few seconds, did nothing. The doors remained open, and it just sat there. Then a warning buzzer sounded and the doors slid closed, and with a jerk and dull whir the elevator car began to rise.

 

The confines were uncomfortably close, but the ride was thankfully rather short. When the doors opened on the repair bay, it revealed a small control room overlooking a cavernous space not much smaller than one of the repair berths on Starbase Alpha - an old Frigate or Scout would fit rather nicely inside in its entirety. The control room was well-lit, many of the terminals still online and apparently abandoned mid-task.

 

Interestingly, a plate of food sat near one of the terminals, the aroma wafting into the elevator car and the rising steam a tell-tale sign that perhaps the facility wasn't quite as abandoned as had been first thought...


  • 0

#24 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.02 @ 19:18 (07:18 PM)

Ed had pulled himself through the runabout’s access hatch into the large corridor that had been secured by the security team. The interior was of a functional and minimalist design, not necessarily an indication of the wider station’s design but certainly a reminder that the Orion had positioned itself into a discreet boarding location, somewhere that would provide a quiet entry.
 
Joining the larger group, his eyes were transitioning between the tricorder's display and his own eyeball analysis of the station. Each breath felt dry, but the older man was slowly acclimatising to the humidity. The satchel bag was fixed to his back. 
 
The Captain was formulating a plan, but Ed’s own attention had been still on the absence of any aesthetic comforts so far.
 
Whoever they are. A potted plant or two would do this place wonders. 
 
Ed was pulled from his musing thoughts by the interruption and introduction of another one of the team members. Before him was an Engineer, his appearance betraying that he was younger than the science officer. He had known of Elias, departmental heads across the ship were notable figures, but had no personal interactions with the man. 
 
Smirking at the man's joke about making a manifest of the station's supplies, and before he could respond McKenna had interjected, saving him. 
 
He’d shuffled into the turbolift with the others, now closer to Elias than he wanted to be. His satchel bag had remained on his back, despite the lack of space, but now that he was inside the turbolift it was no longer maneuverable to set it on the floor. Its size was now pushing him into the senior officer, but Ed hadn’t interpreted it that way. 
 
“This is like that time talin weeds sprung up with my roses. They would have been perfect had it not been for overcrowding…”
 
Ed sounded like a man who was getting emotional at the thought. 
 
“... Mr Elias, could you shuffle slightly to the right…”
 
… The sooner we ascend the better. 
 
He hadn’t intended to be rude, but instinctively had a knack for it. Ed had compared himself to a rose, and Elias to a weed, but the implications had completely bypassed the older science officer. It had been his fault for wearing the satchel bag afterall.
 
The whizz of the turbolift indicated that the ascension had begun, and in moments it had arrived at its destination of the repair bays. Revealed before them was a small control room, and beyond that the vast expanse of a repair bay that appeared to be without a starship under repair. 
 
“If you’d mind vacating the turbolift, before we start looking like spoiled roses.” 
 
His eyes were focused on Elias, clearly the subject of his comment.  
 
== Tag Elias ==

  • 0

#25 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.03 @ 00:01 (12:01 AM)

Robin tucked into the middle of the elevator as the away team crowded in. Awkwardly she put her medkit and new bag of supplies on the floor in front of her feet and tried to take up as little room as possible. 

 

The nurse smiled as Benjamin made a joke. "So, I bet you're all wondering why I called this meeting..." She was suddenly reminded of an old mystery story from the 1930s and stifled a laugh.

 

One of you is the murderer, and I will now reveal the clues that led me to this discovery. 

 

For a moment the elevator did nothing, but then began to rise with an unpleasant warning buzzer. When the doors opened they revealed quite literally the largest room Robin had ever seen in her life. It looked like it could contain an entire starship, albeit a small one. Her eyes were wide and she stood on her tiptoes for a moment, trying to get a better look over the shoulders of the taller crew members. 

 

You could park a ship inside this thing. Maybe not the Artemis, but still. Wow. 

 

But the smell of food wafted into the elevator as well, and her thought was cut short. The short Lieutenant couldn't really see all of the controls in the control room from her position in the middle of the team, but the still-active room gave her pause; to her knowledge there wasn't supposed to be anyone here at all. And certainly not someone who had apparently settled down to dinner. 


  • 0

#26 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.03 @ 00:21 (12:21 AM)

As the elevator started to rise, he realized that it was even more crowded than he’d thought. He tried to shuffle a bit as Mr. Alken requested, but hadn’t really been paying attention to his comments. He was more worried about what they were going to find once the doors opened to really care. He did notice Eli standing next to him, her own hand on her phaser like his was.

 

Fortunately they all fit, and just as fortunately the ride wound up being shorter than he’d feared. The doors opened, not into a cargo space or the repair bay proper like he’d anticipated, but into the control area. The room was nice and bright, if still far too warm for his taste. “If you’d mind vacating the turbolift,” Alken said from right behind him, “before we start looking like spoiled roses.”

 

Benjamin felt his eyebrows raise at that, but considering he had been in mid-step when the comment came, he didn’t deign to respond to it.

 

Instead, he focused his attention out the window. The repair bay was a fairly cavernous space; just eyeballing it, it looked almost like they could fit one of the old Berlin-class frigates in there, or even one of the new Wallace-class that he’d read about. Not that that helps us right now, he thought, but it was just more evidence that this facility was used to working on good-sized ships.

 

“Stelic, Alken,” he said to the two midshipmen, “get in the consoles and see if we can find an inventory report. You’ll probably have to interface your tricorders with them,” he added. After all, the likelihood of the consoles reading out in a language that any of them could read was vanishingly small.

 

He took a moment to look around at everything, wondering. Active consoles, full lighting, he thought. This didn’t read like a room that had been abandoned a month ago to him. Then his stomach rumbled and he smelled something fairly appetizing. Looking around, he spotted a plate of half-eaten food, with steam still rising from it.

 

Holding up a hand, he tried to get his team to stop for a moment. No, the room hadn’t been abandoned for a month. Someone was still here. He dropped his engineering kit and drew his phaser, looking around the room in earnest for other exits or hiding places. Meanwhile, he also tried to spare a few glances at the team in the elevator, waving at them to try and get at least someone’s attention before the doors closed.

 

==GM Input: Is there anywhere they could be hiding here in the room, or other exits they could have taken? And has the elevator gone on before I can say something?==


  • 0

#27 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.03 @ 12:43 (12:43 PM)

No sooner had Elias departed the turbolift’s platform than Ed had thrown himself into the control room, as if escaping the confines of the turbolift would allow the freshest breath of air the man had ever tasted. To his disappointment the air being circulated through the control room was the same dry air that had been vented through the earlier corridor. Its lack of moisture offered little to no refreshment, and the older man had started to feel sweaty. 
 
The room wasn’t vast in scale, but it had a number of consoles, and none of them appeared to have been shut down. Ed gave the room a quick once over, before focusing his eyes on the empty bay that was visible through the viewport. It was also strange that this room would be operational without any clientele’s starships to repair. 
 
At least the Artemis won’t need to queue. 
 
He followed closely the Chief Engineer, choosing the console nearest to begin an analysis of the station's inventories as his senior had instructed. This console like the others was mid task, and until Ed understood what that task was, he wasn’t prepared to turn it off. 
 
He gently placed the science tricorder atop the console. Only centimeters from Elias’s hand which was hovering over a plate of food, still warm by the engineer’s assessment. Clearly the last occupants had not departed four weeks prior.
 
Strange thing to find on the station.  
 
The science officer had calibrated the tricorder to interface with the console. As long as the security protocols were not more complex than the decryption tools, it would have no trouble. Assuming the security team had breached the station using a tricorder to override the locking mechanism, Ed liked his chances that the science tricorder could speak the same language as the station's repair systems. As soon as he was in, Ed could identify the current task that had been assigned by whomever the meal belonged to.
 
All that was left was to wait. 
 
“Do you think it’s tasty?” 
 
Ed quizzed as a true scientist. He peered through the contents of the meal perched on the plate, trying to discern if it resembled anything he had come across before. 
 
I guess there's only one way to find out. 
 
Yes he could have used the science tricorder in an effort to discern an ingredients list, but Alken wanted to know something of the people who had prepared this dish, and such insight demanded more than a mere ingredients list would allow. 
 
Using the fingers of his right hand as cutlery, Ed scooped up a sizable portion of the meal, and proceeded to place it into his mouth. He was chewing, his eyes still set on the tricorder and console displays, eager that they would pair. Whatever science was being done right now, it was with the science officer’s old and experienced taste buds. Each chew was an effort to analyze and discern its flavour. 
 
“It’s in the name of science.” 
 
His words were muffled by the food in his mouth, as Ed justified his actions to the others. He guessed he wouldn’t be needing that ration bar in his satchel bag after all. 
 
== GM Input - Do the console and tricorder interface together? Is Ed able to discern the half finished task that the computer system is currently operating? How does the dinner taste? == 

Edited by Mid Edward Alken, Star Date 22106.03 @ 12:46 (12:46 PM).

  • 0

#28 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.03 @ 13:19 (01:19 PM)

There was a slight sense of dread that appeared somewhere in the pit of Eli's stomach upon hearing the warning buzzer, before the lift decided to move. Even then she was soon regretting the small feast of nachos that she had shared with Nathan prior to departure. Thankfully the ride didn't last very long and Eli managed to keep her lunch, despite the less than smooth short journey. Given the lack of space and being too close to the other members of her team, it was definitely a good thing that she had maintained control.

Although she did overhear Alken talking before asking Ben to scooch over a little, an impossible feat but one that was soon resolved as the doors opened. Following Ben and Alken out of the lift, with Ashley behind her, after holding the door open for the Petty Officer so they didn't close unexpectedly. Eli was then able to get a proper look at the repair bay and the small control room that overlooked it.

In some ways it reminded her of her first assignment and how it could easily fit a small starship inside. So in reality it wasn't much different to what she knew. It was also a good sign, seeing how well lit it was as she took notice of some of the consoles that were online. But then that raised more questions as to why the station was supposedly empty. Something didn't add up as Ben issued instructions, before the unmistakable smell of food wafted over in their direction. Luckily she hadn't gotten very far as Ben then gestured for them to hold and took out his phaser.

Quickly taking hers out of the holster, Eli spoke to Ashley, " Looks like we're not alone" she said as Ben then tried to get the attention of the others in the lift. Joining her friend, Eli also started to scan the room for the owner of the meal. However Alken for some unknown reason had decided to taste said meal after setting up his equipment at one of the consoles. Not quite convinced by his justification for what he had done, Eli didn't know how to react at first.

"Regardless if it's tasty or not, let's hope you don't need a medic" Eli responded finally , hoping that this was the only mistake that Alken would make. " Until we know who's in here, I suggest that you get behind one of us".

She wasn't about to let anything happen to the Middie, assuming he hadn't gotten poisoned by whatever he had taken a bite of.

== Tags ==
  • 0

#29 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22106.03 @ 16:54 (04:54 PM)

==Elias==

 

There were several storage lockers lining the walls next to the elevator car that any suspect could be hiding in, along with a pile of equipment crates on the far left of the control booth. As he drew his phaser, the rasp of metal on the polymer of the holster was drowned out by the sound of the elevator car doors closing, and the now-familiar whirr of the mechanism taking the rest of the team ever-upwards.

 

==Alken==

 

The Tricorder could interface with the consoles, but it would take several minutes to run the programming language through its own computer to sync the two. However despite the delay, the computer was obviously in some kind of diagnostic mode, which appeared to be about 90% complete.

 

The food was...actually not bad. It was a kind of meat and vegetable stew, gamey in its taste, but palatable and lacking the slightly chemically taste that accompanied synthesised meals. It did however prompt the question, however, if these weren't emergency rations or resequenced protein, where did the meat come from?

 

A question that was promptly answered when a large bat-like creature bashed into the window from the other side. About two meters across, all leathery wings and skin with two bulbous eyes and a mouth filled with jagged teeth. It let out a low shriek of surprise as if it was surprised its forward motion had been halted, before scrambling up the window and out of sight.

 

==The Rest of You==

 

The lift came to a halt in the rather spacious command center, which was reminiscent of that of Pioneer Outpost or another small base in its functionality. Consoles lined the edges of the room, most of them active, and a large table with several displays set into it stood in the middle. The most prominent of the displays showed a large green square, presumably the station, with a small red blob holding position close by, presumably the Artemis. Once again, there were no signs of immediate life, but with a door at each of the "ends" of the chamber, that didn't mean someone hadn't beat a hasty retreat when the Artemis had arrived.


  • 0

#30 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.03 @ 17:49 (05:49 PM)

== Repair Bay == 
 
It tasted chewy, not as tender as Ed’s chosen cuts of meat, but not revolting. Much to the man’s surprise it didn’t taste like it had been replicated, and most importantly, it had not killed him. He had survived first contact with the cuisine of a new species. The older man was about to give his analysis to the others, when a thud distracted his attention. 
 
Something living had crashed against the viewport. 
 
“Fascinating!” 
 
Ed had repositioned himself in a hurry, leaning against the viewport that ordinarily gave engineers a view of their progress in the maintenance and repair of starships. He had followed the creature with his gaze for as long as possible. 
 
Ability to fly. not overtly large in scale or wing span.
 
It was the flight technique that betrayed what sort of winged creature it might be.
 
Birds would soar, employing their wings sparingly. This was sporadic use, an almost constant flutter of its wings to keep it airborne. 
 
“It looks like some kind of bat.” 
 
No sooner had he declared his assessment than the visitor had disappeared out of sight. 
 
Presumably if the external doors are sealed, and our friend can survive inside, then the larger repair bay is pressurised and accessible without the need for survivability gear… There may also be a connection between the humidity of the station and habitability of those creatures.
 
“If it is similar to a Bajorian bat, it’s going to be harmless. It’s certainly not like an Andorian redbat - not enough of a delicacy. Kavarian tiger-bats have a smell to them, but obviously that is difficult to discern from this distance. If it’s similar to a Pyrithian bat then it might dine on us, but the evidence…” Ed peered back towards the plate, “...the evidence is that someone else is dining on it.” 
 
Ed returned his attention to the now smaller group. 
 
“Mr Elias. If we could get one of those creatures to my laboratory I could be sure to make a study of its biology. Not entirely my field, but I can make an exception.”
 
It would seem that Midshipman Alken had already been distracted from the task at hand. 

  • 0

#31 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.04 @ 00:16 (12:16 AM)

Benjamin could only sigh in frustration as he watched the doors close behind De Fonto and Eli, and heard the lift take off again. Dammit, he thought, first time in charge and now I have to deal with this on my own. He saw Eli take her phaser out of her holster as she saw him, before she agreed with his sentiment that they weren’t alone.

 

Unfortunately, his signal to Alken and Stelic appeared to have at least missed one of them as Alken walked over to the plate of food, stuck his fingers in like Little Jack Horner, and took a bite. “In the name of science,” he declared around a mouthful of whatever it happened to have been.

 

For a moment, all Benjamin could do was stand there, dumbfounded. What the hell? he thought, trying to get his mind around what could possess this man to think that eating random food in a random, not-so-abandoned facility belonging to a race they had yet to identify was a good idea. If he’d wanted to know what it was, a tricorder scan would have been a much better way to figure that out than eating it.

 

He was grateful that Eli suggested the scientist get behind her, but before he could say anything they were all shocked to hear something thud against the window. He jumped in his skin, turning to look at something bat-like scraping at the window, shrieking at them. “What the—” he said, aloud this time, as the creature – all leathery wings, bulbous eyes, and jagged teeth – scrambled up the window towards the roof of the repair bay.

 

“It looks like some kind of bat,” Alken said, a brilliant observation, before he continued on listing several different species of bat from around the Federation and turning to him. “Mr Elias, if we could get one of those creatures to my laboratory I could be sure to make a study of its biology. Not entirely my field, but I can make an exception.”

 

Benjamin felt his eye starting to twitch – his real one, this time. The artificial one had been twitching ever since he noticed the food, he realized. For a moment, he could barely see, with one of his eyes filled with static before he took a deep breath and turned to De Fonto, the non-com security officer. “Miss De Fonto,” he said, “take Midshipman Alken here and keep him at one of these consoles. Make sure he doesn’t eat any more of whatever that is, either, and if a bat comes in here, shoot it and dispose of the body.” He turned back to the scientist. “We have a job to do, and you are going nowhere before the Artemis is fully repaired and back on its way. Mr Stelic, help him out.” The Vulcan nodded, that smirk locked on his face, before turning silently back to the console to help out.

 

He turned towards Eli and stepped next to her. “I see the crates or the lockers as likeliest,” he whispered to her. “I’ll cover you, whichever you think is best to start with.” With her in motion, he hit his commbadge and said quietly, “Elias to Crawford. There’s definitely someone here with us, likely in the control room we’re in. McKenna and I are investigating now.” He kept it to the point, deliberately leaving out just how far off the rails Alken had gone. “Will appraise if we find anyone or anything.”

 

==Tags to Alken, McKenna, De Fonto, and Crawford==


  • 0

#32 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.04 @ 05:19 (05:19 AM)

== Repair Bay ==

=== NRC - Petty Officer 3rd Class Ashley De Fonto, Security ===

 

The ride was short. Blessedly short. The heat, mixed with body heat, then with a little added sweat humidity, and suddenly the elevator felt more like a human steam bath. It made Ash want to take another shower.

 

Actually, kinda reminds me a bit of cell in the Brig, the one where that Bolian has a permanent drunk tank reservation. Sans the barf.

 

The commentary was nice though, and De Fonto stifled a chuckle more than once because of Elias and Alken. It was a nice break from the seriousness, and it made the short ride even more tolerable.

 

As the doors open, people seemed to start spilling out almost instantaneously. If De Fonto was more science inclined, she might see some sort of mathematical model for how humans, like cats, became fluid in the right circumstances. Or she might recognize some famous pattern, like the Fibonacci sequence. Instead, what she saw was a science officer peeling out into an unknown control room that might be littered with all sorts of goodies of the explosive or generally deadly variety. Then the trace hint of some sort of food hit Ashley’s nostrils. It didn’t smell off, or rancid, but in fact actually smelled like something resembling potentially decent.

 

Decent means recent.

 

There was an impulse to follow hot on the heels of the man, as she was worried about protecting the team. But once Ash saw Eli holding the door for her, it staunched that compulsion.

 

“Thanks ell-tee,” Ashley gave McKenna a huge smile, appreciative of the gesture as she picked up her backpack.

 

De Fonto then took a few steps forward before throwing on her pack, so as not to smack any of the other occupants of the car in the face. Again, the food smelled wafted as Ash’s forward movement brought the hot air into her nose.

 

" Looks like we're not alone" Eliana said to her.

 

“Mhmm,” De Fonto hummed and nodded, taking her phaser pistol from its holster.

 

However, it was Elias’ raised hand that froze Ashley in her place like an art piece; a fine example of security conditioning. It seemed the Engineering Chief felt the same way as McKenna and De Fonto, as he drew his pistol as well. Alken… well, Alken didn’t seem to get the memo. He wandered off, without so much more than a casual perusal that someone might use in a store as they drowsily shopped. Whereas Ash was looking at, under, over, and beyond the consoles, checking corners and looking for doors. The room itself seemed empty, but that didn’t mean something, or someone, wasn’t in the room with them.

 

“Do you think it’s tasty?” Ed said, drawing a brow raise from Ashley and a cursory glance. That’s when he took a bite of the meal.

 

Are you kidding me? De Fonto nearly cackled in horror as she watched the man dip his fingers in the dish, and take a good portion of the meal. It wasn’t just that he had ate something completely foreign to him, his stomach, and his system. It was also that he just ate someone else’s dinner. And then, on top of that, put his dirty paws into that dish, forever ruining it for the original owner. Finally, and punctuated by Eliana’s comment, was the issue of their medical officer riding up, up, and away on the elevator behind them.

 

The train of disgust and shock would have returned to the station had it not been for the sudden crashing that occurred, causing De Fonto to instantly pivot in place. She nearly rose her arm which held the phaser pistol, but Elias was blocking a potential shot. Instead, Ashley kept her weapon checked, almost cursing out the team.

 

“It looks like some kind of bat,” she heard Alken say, and the hairs on Ashley’s arms rose up as she felt a hint of the heebie-jeebies, “Mr Elias. If we could get one of those creatures to my laboratory I could be sure to make a study of its biology. Not entirely my field, but I can make an exception.”

 

No. No ******* way.

 

Lieutenant Elias was already spinning about, and in Ashley’s head the words ‘no’ and 'not me' repeated over and over, knowing full well exactly what the man was going to ask her. Then, as if proving De Fonto psychic, it was exactly what Benjamin Elias asked her to do! To babysit. Not just anyone. A danger oblivious scientist. And a Commissioned Officer. One with impulse control problems and severe lack of understanding, or maybe just appreciation, for the work of one Charles Darwin.

 

As if to emphasize her next words, and to give Elias some clue as to her feelings, Ashley reached down to her phaser with her free hand. Without breaking eye contact with the Chief, she turned it to the lowest stun setting, and a smirk that said ‘malicious compliance’ spread out from her lips,

 

“Aye aye, sir.”

 

Stepping toward Alken, De Fonto waited until the Chief finished giving Alken the terms and conditions. Deep down, below the natural cynicism she had cultivated in her time as an enlisted, there was some understanding of Edward. He was like a puppy. Terribly excited, and absolutely no sense for the danger surrounding him. Unlike a puppy, Ashley would happily stun him if it came to it. Walking over to the scientist, she cleared her throat,

 

“Midshipman Alken, sir,” the tone was apparent that she wasn’t going to be the kind of babysitter that got rave reviews from their charge.

 

“Let’s get back to the consoles. Maybe you can give me your culinary review? Or maybe tell me more about…” she held in a shudder, “…bats. Or, you might just have some idea as to how a group of occupants could keep a flock of them alive in a service bay, while potentially having to work on ships? Or how we might mitigate that particular problem when it comes time to fix the Artemis?”

 

Or you could hack the console for me and space the beasts…

 

== tag all Repair Bay peeps ==


  • 0

#33 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.04 @ 09:55 (09:55 AM)

== Repair Bay ==

When the lift began to ascend behind them, taking their only medic with it. Eli could only hope that Alken hadn't been poisoned or worse by whatever he had eaten, despite how good it might smell. Although when he didn't projectile vomit everywhere, she took it as a good sign, at least for the moment, even if she had been in Mum mode when she had sternly told him to get behind her and Ashley who had agreed with her assessment of not being alone. Mum mode was just a natural instinct these days and from how Alken was acting, he did remind her of dealing with William.

From telling her son not to eat strange things to him getting distracted easily. Which was apparent as Alken appeared to ignore her order. Then again he could be forgiven by the unexpected thud followed by the appearance of some unknown flying beast. Suddenly turned off by the thought of the meat in the food that had been left, not to mention how many of those creatures called the station home.

Whether it was some kind of bat or not, Eli was thankful when Alken decided to finally rejoin them. However his request to capture one of these 'bats' for study, wasn't going to happen. A sentiment that was shared by Ben as the CE reminded the scientist of why they were here. Hopefully that would be enough to dial back his exuberance, something that Ben had also taken into consideration by assigning Ashley to essentially be his babysitter along with Stelic to keep an eye on him.

It was a good call considering what they had witnessed so far and Eli knew that Ashley would have no trouble keeping him in line. Babysitting was never fun but it got the job done as Ashley acknowledged Ben, sharing a look with her that needed no explanation. When Ben then stepped next to her, listening as he whispered about the crates and lockers that could easily conceal someone, as well as how he would cover her. She appreciated the assist as she then decided where they should start first whilst Ben updated Tyra.

" Let's start with the crates and keep your weapon close" she instructed, knowing that she didn't have to tell him twice as this wasn't their first rodeo. Stepping cautiously towards the first crate with her weapon raised, Eli then prepared to open it and stood ready for any surprises.

== Tags, also mighty GM, does Eli successfully open the crate and what does she find inside? ==
  • 0

#34 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.04 @ 18:55 (06:55 PM)

== Backflash - Starfleet Academy == 
 
“The instinct to leap without looking, in my opinion that’s something Star Fleet has lost.”
 
The woman's voice carried across the lecture hall thanks to the microphone mounted to her lectern. The architectural style of the room was familiar to any Star Fleet officer as the Academy in San Francisco. The scenery of the bay easily identified from the windows. At the front of the lecture theatre was a Lieutenant easily in her early thirties, and though her uniform betrayed science, this was not strictly a departmental lecture but one addressing the roots of the organisation all present served within.
 
“Can anyone tell me who said it?”
 
She confidently peered across the room, her hands on the podium as hundreds of students squirmed at the thought of being selected to answer her question.
 
“Christopher Pike…” 
 
The man next to an ever so slightly younger looking Edward had bravely surrendered the answer. Alken had swapped glances with the man who was looking pleased with himself. In comparison Ed had looked bewildered, he had known little of the Admiral’s story, let alone being able to offer quotations when called upon amongst hundreds of fellow students. 
 
The Lieutenant’s brief smile, as she returned to the notes on the lectern permitted the room a corporate sigh of relief, they had escaped the potential embarrassment of not knowing the answer.
 
“Excellent Cadet. The answer is indeed Admiral Christopher Pike... Let’s refer to the man by his rank, he has earned our respect, we stand on his legacy. ” 
 
== Present == 
 
Ed was drawn from his thoughts by the imposing figure of the familiar security officer still adorned in the bomber jacket and baseball cap, that stereotypical security officer who had been distributing phasers on the Orion prior to launch.
 
Engineers and security officers… They couldn’t leap over an irrigation ditch without structural surveys of the ground or preparing a risk assessment of what’s on the other side… 
 
Star Fleet had been shaped by the experiences of a universe that had thrown the worst at the Federation, and a bold new commitment of the next generation of deep space exploration vessels had not meant that you could change the thinking of a generation of officers who saw the universe as a dark and terrifying place. Perhaps there were times when that was justified. But explorers needed to be prepared to leap without looking. Ed’s conviction was that a good science officer needed to learn the art of leaping without looking. Perhaps only Ed understood why eating the meal was a good idea, all around him were officers who by their responses didn’t understand such an action. It may have been crazy, but only Ed was prepared in this case to eat without looking. He wasn’t scared of what danger might have lurked before him, he was intrigued by what it tasted like, and the people who had prepared it. 
 
Ed was different from those around him, and he was okay with seeing the universe differently, but it made him feel isolated. He wasn’t here to blast the first thing that moved, and he was the only member of the away team who hadn’t departed with a weapon in hand. Foolish perhaps, but he was a damn explorer. 
 
Leap Ed. You damn well leap without looking.
 
The prospect of being chaperone wasn’t a welcome one for the botanist either. The petty officer didn’t strike him as a compassionate character, far from it. The hand on her phaser was a statement in itself, as she had led him back to the console in a manner that communicated that she was now in charge. 
 
Instead they were to play for power - and Ed was convinced that you’d need to bring more than a phaser on stun to pull him into the narrow lens of a tactician. 
 
Elias is senior, a scene with him is practically mutiny. You on the other hand… If you're planning to keep up with me you’d better learn how to leap without looking.  
 
“It’s delicious... Could do with some red grilk dust, commonly found on the grilk plant, to add to the flavour, but certainly not the worst thing I’ve ever tasted… Here. Have some…” 
 
Ed had practically thrown the bowl into her hands - she would catch it or she would wear its contents, it would depend entirely on those finely honed reflexes. 
 
Barely a second had passed as he turned to the console.
 
“Now… Let’s see. The bats probably like the humidity, and if you're not using replicators a source of food would be essential. You’d need more than monthly shipments to keep the supply up… Unless of course it was a last resort on the station's cuisine menu.” 
 
He quickly checked the science tricorder perched atop of the console.
 
“The system is performing a diagnostic on the repair facilities, and it’s almost complete. Likely just a routine procedure on a facility like this… We can check for an inventory manifest whilst we wait.” 
 
Ed pushed through a number of interface menus on the console, searching for the manifest of the station's repair supplies. They would need a significant donation for the Artemis. He was still processing all that she had said about dealing with the bats. The unwillingness to allow concentrated study meant a tactical solution to yet another problem. 
 
“I suppose you could always eat the remainder of the bats if you liked the taste, that would remove the issue entirely.” 
 
It was tongue and cheek, evident by the smirk on the Middie’s face as he turned towards the woman to see what had become of the remainder of the meal he had rapidly passed into her hands.
 
== GM Input  - 1. Does the 90% diagnostic progress or finish? What are the results? 2. Does Ed find a manifest for the station? If so - contents? == 

  • 0

#35 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.05 @ 01:39 (01:39 AM)

== Repair Bay ==

=== NRC - Petty Officer 3rd Class Ashley De Fonto, Security ===

 

“It’s delicious... Could do with some red grilk dust…” Ash was listening, but her focus was on watching Elias and McKenna’s six, as the room hadn’t been cleared yet.

 

“…commonly found on the grilk plant, to add to the flavour, but certainly not the worst thing I’ve ever tasted… Here. Have some…”

 

She didn’t even move to catch it, and it landed directly on her, soaking her. It was warm, initially, but it didn’t feel scalding hot, which she was grateful for. De Fonto was unimpressed, to say the least. Alken was a full-grown man acting like a toddler, tossing food about, while they were trying to secure a position.

 

As Alken turned toward the console, his attention away from Ashley, she withdrew her pistol and stunned him.

 

“It’s okay, just me phasering the child,” she stated flatly to Ben and Eliana so they wouldn’t get concerned.

 

Then, carefully, she took a few steps back. What the Petty Officer was looking to do, was create more distance between her and her charge, to facilitate a higher stun setting for the second shot. With the speed only years of training and practicing could give, she raised the stun setting on her phaser pistol to setting two.

 

As Alken came to (if he did at all), she spoke,

 

“You are endangering the safety of this team, the mission, and me. Stay where you are and do not move until I give the all clear. Failure to comply will result in my stunning you again on a higher setting.”

 

Now, unfortunately, her entire attention was trained directly on the Midshipman.

 

I’m going to wager this station doesn’t have a dry-cleaning service, she attempted to internally lighten her now incredibly soured mood.

 

 

 

== GM input: Just want to confirm that she does manage to hit him, and the results.

 

Stun setting was set to one in my last post. I’ve written it assuming she manages to shoot him with the first shot, but my intention is that she would shoot as many times as needed to land a hit. If he charges her upon waking, she’ll shoot him again on the higher setting. ==

=== tags all - sorry Alken! ===


  • 0

#36 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.06 @ 22:49 (10:49 PM)

With the engineering team having gotten off the elevator with little to no obvious issues, it had allowed the team headed for the command center to spread out just a little. Even as the elevator began lurching once more, Tyra remained against the back wall, one arm pressed against the wall for support while the other hung in a relaxed hanging position. Her blue eyes seemed focused on the doors but in her peripheral, she could see each member of her small team, which consisted of two very well known quantities and one much lesser. 
 
[Elias to Crawford. There’s definitely someone here with us, likely in the control room we’re in. McKenna and I are investigating now.] The report felt clipped as if there was more information available but for one reason or another, the Chief Engineer was holding it back. [Will appraise if we find anyone or anything.]
 
Tyra would have liked to have known exactly what had led Elias to that conclusion, whether it be a concrete sign or just a strong gut feeling, but she wasn't going to demand further answers of someone overseeing a now un-secured zone. In the end, it didn't matter either as the relaxed qualities of Tyra's posture seemed to tighten up, her gaze sharpening as it now bored into the elevator's door and her relaxed hand coming to rest on the top of her holster. 
 
"Doesn't exactly change anything for us but be on your toes," she told her small team, looking at each one of them before focusing on Ramius.
 
"You'll take point coming out of the elevator," she instructed before moving her gaze to Briggs. 
 
In an ideal world, they would have had another security officer to assist Nathan with running point and clearing the immediate area but this wasn't ideal. It made no sense for her to ask Briggs to take a role in room clearing and securing when it wasn't something he was fully trained in. Yes, he had proved himself tactically capable on the Rogue Planet but that was different. She was a firm believer in catering to people's strength and hers was as much tactical as his was security. 
 
"Briggs, you and Mayfair begin assessing the equipment. Look for signs of recent activity, look for indications of what this station is capable of and what's been going on... oh and see if there is an intercom system. That might come in very, very useful soon."
 
The elevator lurched slightly as the elevator began to slow. "Nathan and I will clear any rooms that need clearing," she added, looking at Nathan. She didn't expect her would particularly like it but she also figured he'd prefer her to perhaps Briggs. As if it prove it wasn't really a matter of question or conversation, she unholstered her pistol.  "If any form of confrontation breaks out, find cover before doing anything stupidly heroic."
 
And then, the doors yawned open, revealing a rather spacious command center. As if she needed more room for comparison, it looked eerily like that damn outpost's bridge before it had been blown up and covered in the guts of 1.5 Starfleet officers. She shook her head slightly to shake away images of that charred, twisted space and the wretched smell of charred, burning flesh, and focused on the fact that no one as immediately within view. She nodded to Ramius to lead the way into the space, moving directly behind him and and covering the direction he didn't select. 
 
Three steps out of the elevator and it was confirmed that their immediate area was clear for Briggs and Mayfair. However, there were two doors, one on each end of the station.  For a moment, considering that they were technically trespassing, she considered just calling out to any would-be hiders but every bone in her body cringed at that idea. It was a decision born of good intentions but ultimately foolish to the core. It stripped them of any tactical advantage they had and well, she still firmly believed that speed and violence of action was a very effective deterent when dealing with would-be adversaries. 
 
She motioned for Nathan to take the left door as she moved to the right door. Her approach was slow and careful, judging the doors position relative to the rest of the room. Their angle meant that while they wouldn't offer a view of Briggs and Mayfair in the main room, there was a very real chance that, if she and Nathan popped their doors at the same time, they would create quite the cross fire issue.  And frankly, she didn't have enough bodies to be dealing with that.
 
She clicked her teeth loud enough to catch Nathan's attention and gave him the signal to trigger his door first while she held down on the other, shifting her position so that she could see his door in her peripheral. It meant her back was to Briggs and Mayfair but she'd much rather her back be to them than to either of the doors or the elevator.
 
== Tag Team No Food Fight! ==

  • 0

#37 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.07 @ 11:03 (11:03 AM)

"Briggs, you and Mayfair begin assessing the equipment. Look for signs of recent activity, look for indications of what this station is capable of and what's been going on... oh and see if there is an intercom system. That might come in very, very useful soon."

 

Robin nodded soberly as it sunk in that this could end up going south very quickly. They really had no idea what was waiting for them, but this whole situation didn't feel right anyway. 

 

"Nathan and I will clear any rooms that need clearing," the Captain said as she unholstered her phaser. "If any form of confrontation breaks out, find cover before doing anything stupidly heroic."

 

"Yes, Ma'am." The nurse moved to the wall of the elevator next to the door to give Nathan and Tyra a path out the door and clear lines of fire... and to provide cover for herself if they were greeted with weapons fire.

 

I don't do stupidly heroic. I'm here to clean up after the stupidly heroic. It was a cynical thought for the naïve young nurse, and she was a bit surprised at herself. She hadn't been in Star Fleet long enough to justify it. 

 

The elevator door opened and Nathan and Tyra were out, covering the spacious (and empty) command deck and making sure it was clear. The place was active, with numerous consoles still working. She took a quick glance at them, memorizing their positions in a moment. 

 

Hmm... Ops, Ops, if I were an Ops console where would I be? The purple-haired Augment paused. Wait, this really doesn't make sense. The Artemis would have scanned this whole facility, right? Isn't that S.O.P.? Someone below was having lunch just before we arrived. Like, minutes before, because the food was still hot. So why didn't the crew show up on sensors? I assume we hailed them, and there was no response?

 

The young nurse thought back to her Academy training. She'd never been on track to be bridge crew, but everyone went through the basics. She was sure that the Captain would have followed the standard procedure. They were here because the station was apparently abandoned. 

 

So this place is supposed to be abandoned, but it isn't. There are people here, but they're not at their posts. Are they hiding? From us? We did just dock a shuttle, but this is supposed to be a repair facility. This is what they do, right?  

 

She looked into the command deck, disturbed by her thoughts. What if they're not in those rooms? What if they're hiding in the Jeffries Tubes, or whatever they call them? Every ship and station has them, and they could be shielded. 

 

The newly-promoted JG pulled out her tricorder and performed a bioscan. With a few taps she the gain to maximum, hoping to find something, anything. She took another look into the deck before turning to Briggs and asking "Could they be hiding in access tunnels?"

 

With a deep breath to calm herself Robin waited for the all clear signal from the Captain. As soon as it was 'safe' she intended to bolt into the command deck, but not until then. The Captain and Ramius looked like they were about ready to open the side doors, so they'd know in moments whether there was anyone there. 

 

== Tag Briggs ==

== GM input: Does Robin see a console that looks like it could be a general Ops control? Does her bioscan show anything besides the Artemis crew? ==


Edited by Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair, Star Date 22106.07 @ 11:10 (11:10 AM).

  • 0

#38 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.08 @ 01:02 (01:02 AM)

== Team No Food Fight ==

 

Once the elevator had cleared, and created significant breathing space for the rest in the car, Nathan moved closer to the front and side, where the elevator would open again. He slung his rifle across his back after securing the safety, and pulled his phaser pistol from its holster. The security officer couldn’t be entirely sure just how big, or crowded with equipment and consoles, the command center would be. But in close quarters, the PR-1 was just too big to be wielding around. Had he taken the PR-1K with it’s shortened barrel, it might have been different. Or, if he ever managed to get his hands on the Spec Ops version. The prospect of modifying such a rifle, with its rumored plethora of modules, caused Ramius to smile.

 

Probably would have to get Tyra and Jenny’s nod on something like that, and given that we are at peace, I doubt I’d get clearance. Stranger things have happened though. Maybe I should ask after this mission?

 

Cracking his neck in anticipation, Nathan changed weight from one leg to the other, causing him to sway in place ever-so-slightly. With the current company in the elevator car, he couldn’t envision a scenario where Tyra wasn’t going to have to help him clear the room. While Briggs was probably pretty good with a phaser pistol, CQC and room clearing weren’t exactly on the long list of everyday training for him. The same went for Robin, who while trained with a phaser pistol, shouldn’t be at the front of the pack regardless. That left the obvious. Captain Crawford was going to have to assist in the clearance.

 

It wasn’t that he didn’t trust her, or her abilities. In fact, Nathan knew for a fact that Tyra was a better Security Officer than he was. There was a hesitation in his thoughts, where he wondered if she might be slightly rusty in some of her non-shooting skills and abilities. That consideration was quickly dismissed by him, as even if that was the case, she still had all the guts and natural instincts that had been honed over years of being at the top of her security game. And, she still went on missions herself. And, as their recent bet at the Armory showed, she could out-shoot him too. It didn't stop him from being concerned for her wellbeing, however. In fact, it caused the exact opposite in his own gut. It didn’t matter if Tyra could get stuck in with the best of them; she was still putting herself at risk.

 

The only good side is, if we were in such a situation that might result in the worst, I wouldn’t be coming back either. Not after everything I’ve learned and been through with Tyra. Which means someone else would have to tell Jenny the bad news.

 

Nathan looked down at his feet as his best friend came over the comms, giving them a heads-up that the station was less deserted than they had once thought to expect. A scowl formed on his face, but he bit his tongue instead of saying what was on his mind.

 

Why does this whole escapade feel rushed? Did we not properly scan the station?

 

"Doesn't exactly change anything for us…” Nathan looked up and over to Tyra, locking eyes with her as she finished her statement, “but be on your toes. You'll take point coming out of the elevator.”

 

“Understood,” he said, wiping his scowl from his face.

 

As Tyra continued, giving Briggs and Mayfair their assignments, his initial deduction came to pass. Which, if he was honest with himself, he was grateful for. He could take point and know that his back was properly covered. Then, when it came time to clear the room, she would be cognizant of what to be looking for; and her well trained muscle memory would make it efficient, comprehensive, and with initiative.

 

"Nathan and I will clear any rooms that need clearing.”

 

Instead of arguing, or frowning, or seeming even remotely upset, he nodded with a mix of respect and determination. When she unholstered her pistol, he took up position, assured in who it was that was covering him.

 

The doors opened, and he took in an immediate glance of the space. Once it looked clear, his eyes briefly flicked to the deck before them, making sure there was no traps just waiting at the mouth of the elevator. Then, he nodded to Tyra, who was doing the same at him. They pushed out, not far, but enough to get a commanding view of the entire. It was vacant. Though anyone with ears, or even a sense for vibrations, would have heard or felt the elevator car coming up to the deck he knew. Not to mention the display showing a red blob, making their ship's presence obvious.

 

Catching Tyra’s motion for him to proceed left, his body carried him forward without much thought; the practice of moving through a killing house guiding him. Checking corners and areas where his vision had been blocked or restricted as he moved forward, he cleared the space thoroughly. It was at that moment he realized how grateful he was for his most recent training. As he pulled up on his door, he halted, hearing Tyra’s teeth clicking from across the space between them. She had, of course, beat him to her objective despite their careful pacing.

 

Giving the Captain yet another nod of acknowledgement of her signal, he focused his breathing. Nathan was steadying himself so that if he had to fire his pistol, it would be as accurate as possible despite the tense circumstances. He gave a discreet countdown within Tyra’s view with his empty hand. Then, with that same hand upon finishing the count, he opened his door, phaser at the ready.

 

 

== GM input: Anything or anyone behind Door #1? ==


Edited by Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius, Star Date 22106.08 @ 01:07 (01:07 AM).

  • 0

#39 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22106.08 @ 12:29 (12:29 PM)

==Team Food Fight==

 

McKenna's crate was full of electrical components, mostly burned out. A cursory scan mixed with basic engineering skills taught at the Academy showed that these were computer chips, about two centuries out of date by Star Fleet standards, and probably saved so they could be scavenged for valuable components and then recycled.

 

Alken watched as the computer finished its diagnostic, and began an automatic reboot sequence. The sequence had just finished, the screen coming back to life, when the low-intensity stun beam caught him. It was of a low enough setting that he didn't immediately collapse unconscious, but was overcome with a feeling of vertigo; the world began to spin, and he felt a sudden and immediate need to sit down before he fell down.

 

He also felt his possible bat-meat meal threatening to forcibly eject itself from his stomach, as if the bat were still alive, and trying to claw its way out.

 

==Team No Food Fight (Booooooring)==

 

Mayfair couldn't find a general ops console per-se, as it seemed that every console around the room could be configured for different duties, likely based on which ones were actually turned on at the time. However she did find a console that seemed to have logged incoming and departing ships, and a cursory glance (once her Tricorder had synced with the computer and run the alien text through its translation matrix, told her that the ship that had come and left a month ago was Kazon in origin.

 

A small biosign rushed across the tricorder display, correlating to the small rodentlike creature that escaped when Ramius opened the door. Ramius managed to avoid being bitten by the near-rat, noticing that it seemed to have a smooth shell not unlike those of an armadillo covering its back. The corridor itself was darkened, but a small figure could be seen hunched in a corner, looking absolutely terrified.

 

Fair-skinned with dark hair and frightened eyes, the figure was obviously a child, and apparently Kazon. As she noticed the two humans looking at her, she let out a terrified cry and bolted further down the corridor.


  • 0

#40 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.08 @ 13:42 (01:42 PM)

== Nana na na na na na na bat meat! == 

== GM: If you want, I could throw a ration bar at Briggs ==

 

Her tricorder noted the rat creature too late to be useful as it ran out. She didn’t have time to shout a warning, and it would have been pointless anyway. It was just a critter, the kind that had been getting aboard ships of every race since before space flight, and wasn’t likely to be any kind of threat. 

 

With things looking momentarily clear, Robin dashed out into the control room and took cover behind an active console. No gunfire erupted, so she stood up hesitantly and looked at the displays. Her tricorder was still in hand and she tapped a couple of keys and engaged the translator. A record of arrivals and departures greeted the young nurse.

 

One month ago, a Kazon ship. They certainly get around. 
 

She’d seen first-hand what the Kazon had done to the Talaxians on their asteroid colony, how they’d shot people for sport and taken everything that wasn’t nailed down. The purple haired Lieutenant wasn’t a fan, to say the least. Their presence made her wonder if this station had been raided by them. Maybe that was why it was empty. 
 

Regardless, she had a job to do. First thing was to find an intercom system. The station used modifiable displays, and this one didn’t seem to be locked out, so she examined the screen. Her tricorder still in one hand, she used the translation matrix to get an idea of what the controls could do. First thing was to find an intercom, then see if there was a record of the stations capabilities. Internal sensors would be good, too.

With her sharp hearing the young augment caught the terrified cry of a child coming from the open corridor. “Captain?” she asked, “Was that a little girl?” Strange that she hadn’t shown up on the scan, but then neither had the rat until the door opened. The nurse wasn’t an engineer or science officer, but she was really beginning to suspect that the station was shielded against scans. 

 

== GM Input: What station capabilities can Robin access from her console? Is anything locked out? ==


  • 0

#41 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.08 @ 15:22 (03:22 PM)

== Team Food Fight == 
 
Edward had barely registered the light of the beam originating from the tip of the woman's phaser as it lanced itself forward making contact with his body. The angle and proximity between himself and the security officer had allowed only a momentary realisation of what was happening, and before the man could respond, strange sensations had overwhelmed him.
 
The transition of facial expression from that tongue and cheek satisfaction with toying with De Fonto was soon replaced by a momentary look of disbelief. That lasted seconds, to be washed away by numbness, emptiness. As if his facial expressions were now saying nothing at all.
 
His facial muscles were not the only thing to give way to the overwhelming energy of the phaser’s stun setting. Vertigo had overpowered the man. The muscles in his legs had followed just as quickly as the muscles in his face, no longer able to hold the weight of the man. His arms, hands and fingers had numbed themselves, unable to catch the inevitable violent contact with the control room's metallic floor. In the swift descent Ed had missed by only inches the metallic base of a chair leg's sharp edge, a lucky escape. 
 
The descent was quickly followed by something of a resurrection. The sensations of vertigo had passed through the man, and his muscles had started to return. Not an immediate restoration to what they had been moments earlier, but a gradual return. His body was processing a system diagnostic and reboot of its own. 
 
The muscles on Edwards face however were no longer numb, and his expression no longer empty - there was a look of bewilderment.
 
The vertigo might have been subsiding, but something else didn’t feel right. Uncomfortable sensations in his stomach were increasing, whether the consequence of the food he had eaten or being stunned on a full stomach had yet to be discerned. He groaned, he breathed uncomfortable sighs, like a man who was suddenly regretting eating dinner after all. 
 
De Fonto was declaring warnings over him, half of what she said hadn’t even been processed in the moments that passed, but the familiar tip of the phaser was still pointed directly at him.  
 
Those stomach sensations had grown to a full fledged war in his bowels, as if the bat meat he had digested moments ago had resurrected too, and were employing their wings. Ed tried his best to temper his response, to ignore the battlefield destruction, and for the moment he was successful.
 
“I’m a botanist, not a buccaneer…”
 
He sounded weaker than before, but not because of the phaser. It was as if Edward Alken’s pride had descended along with his body, and that had yet to be restored.
 
He had pulled himself upright as far as he dared, both his stomach and the Petty Officer’s phasers limiting what position he could navigate himself into. He had resisted the urge to stand to his feet, a second stun was undesirable, but truthfully, it might not have been possible for Alken to muster the strength in his state. 
 
The man had been unwilling to raise his head to look any of them in the eye, still fixed on the metallic panels that made up the floor sections. Whether that was distrust, disdain or his mind now solely on his bowels we might never know. Edward was vulnerable, but not remorseful. He still had no sense that anything he’d done was wrong. He had never been shot, and that experience had bewildered him.
 
He’d spent years competing with those half his age, and had struggled to fit in thanks to some obvious and strange quirks to his character. He’d been digging irrigation ditches and planting crops whilst many of the men and women in this room had already adorned their uniform. The man who went down to the floor would not be the man who had forced himself up again - and that wasn’t necessarily a good thing. 
 
To Ed’s dismay, that war in his bowels had now become critical. He was truly about to become less than the man who had been forcefully brought to his knees. It started with a build up of the heavy breathing that had been persistently growing, soon to be met with violent coughs as if attempting to clear something from his throat. Ed had pushed himself to lean over, placing weight on his arms that still felt unnatural and uncomfortable, a great strain on the muscles that had only moments before felt like they’d been absent entirely. With one last and violent splutter the contents of Ed’s stomach had like a projectile had been thrown across a localised area of the repair bay’s floor. At least the majority of it had. This wasn’t a precision strike, and Ed hadn’t had time to align the target area correctly, he was a scientist, not a tactical officer. 
 
What had been projected could easily be identified. He followed the small bits of chewed meat that were on the floor, almost aligned in a trail… at the end of the trail, and adorned in some of the contents was a shoe. Brutish, dominant, even military in style, the kind a security officer might wear, or a Klingon. 
 
Ed had momentarily been feeling relief at the discharge, but as the realisation hit him, he wasn’t so sure he’d rather have had a more serious condition and been rushed back to the Artemis. 
 
He peered above him, following the shoe, the leg, the torso - an uncomfortable orange soon becoming apparent, adorned slightly by the contents of a lovely dinner.  He wasn’t sure he wanted to continue, and thankfully the ascent had been blocked by the imposing phaser trained on him. He didn’t dare go any higher, but in a foolish moment he was peering at the pissed off security officer whose fault this entirely was. To make things worse, he’d just vomited on the crazy phaser wielding woman.
 
“No need to shoot a second time, rules of war and all that.” 

  • 0

#42 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.09 @ 01:24 (01:24 AM)

==sigh… Team Food Fight==

 

Benjamin kept his phaser up but definitively away from Eli as she came to the crates and started opening them. He also kept an ear out, listening to De Fonto and Alken. He almost wished he hadn’t; from the tones of their voices, at least, it wasn’t going very well.

 

So, when he heard the lid of the crate fall on the floor, he was only mildly surprised to hear a second, wetter sound, followed by a bowl clattering to the floor.

 

“What the—” he started again, and turned towards the commotion in time to see the security officer fire at Alken. The smell had become overwhelming, and it wasn’t hard to see why: De Fonto was covered with whatever it was that Alken had taken a bite of.

 

“It’s okay, just me phasering the child,”De Fonto said as he turned. She was backing up a bit from the scientist, he noted, and giving him clear instructions on what to do – or, more specifically, what not to do.

 

Tyra is going to kill me, he thought. First time I get trusted to lead an away team, and I’ve got a scientist who definitely puts the ‘mental’ in ‘experimental’, and a security officer who shot him. To be fair, he didn’t think the shot was going to be a problem given Alken’s actions. But it definitely wasn’t a good sign that it had been necessary. And given the fact that he’d obviously thrown the food at her, he had no doubt the shot was necessary; he was just glad that she had the phaser set to its lowest setting.

 

Not that that seemed to be much of a bright side for the scientist, who was turning several different shades of pale green. Benjamin considered trying to do something, but wisely stayed back. He wasn’t sure if it was the phaser hit, the alien food, or some combination of the two that did it, but suddenly the contents of his stomach were all over the floor instead of inside his stomach.

 

And, of course, on De Fonto’s shoes.

 

It took him a moment to catch his breath and keep himself together, looking away towards the storage lockers and studying them for a moment as he fought his own stomach down. He felt his eyes twitching madly of their own accord, and closed them tightly for a five-count. He took a deep breath, but the smell hit him and he realized that wasn’t the best of ideas, either, and tried to breath slowly but shallowly instead. “Eli,” he said quietly, “keep working on these crates, please.” He didn’t wait for an answer before rounding on the two standing there in the middle of the room - being careful to avoid the mess on the floor as he did so. “Alright you two,” he said. “That’s more than enough of this bull****.

 

“De Fonto,” he said, addressing the security officer first, “if you need to, take Stelic with you and go back to the runabout to clean up. Otherwise, just do the best you can and please try not to shoot anyone else.” He figured that the paperwork she’d have to go through for shooting a superior officer was likely enough punishment, as was having to wear some alien’s – and Alken’s – dinner for the duration. Instead, he turned towards the scientist, getting as close as he dared to the man’s face.

 

“Alken. You will sit down and work that console to find out if they have any supplies we can use,” he said forcefully, if quietly. “You will shut up until you can make a full report on that task, and you will touch nothing else until such time as I or Lieutenant McKenna here tells you otherwise. If you are found in breach of these orders, you will be taken back to the runabout and locked inside one of the storage lockers there until we return for you. Is. That. Clear?”

 

He waited a few moments, both until he heard a satisfactory reply and even after, staring directly into the scientist’s eyes as he did so. You’re older than I am, he thought, and I could nearly be some of these kid’s dads. You should know better than to act like a three-year-old.

 

No, I take that back. I know some three-year-olds, and they act better than this.

 

Once he felt the point was made, though, Benjamin stood back up and tried not to let the pain in his lower back show as he walked over to the storage lockers on the wall. Starting at one side, he began to slowly open them, phaser up and ready as he went down the line, trying to make sure the room was clear. If there’s anyone here and these antics didn’t make them double over laughing, they must be Vulcans.

 

==Tag Alken, De Fonto, McKenna==

 

==GM Input: Find anything or anyone in the lockers?==


  • 1

#43 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.09 @ 07:30 (07:30 AM)

== Team Food Fight ==

Eli could feel the adrenaline coursing through her veins as she successfully opened the first crate. However it wasn't something jumping out of it, that caused a momentary distraction but rather the sound of phaser fire behind her. At first she wondered if they had been ambushed but then quickly dismissed it as Ashley told them that she had stunned the 'Child'. It didn't take a genius to work out who she meant as the stun shot was swiftly followed by a more severe warning.

If this wasn't a serious situation, Eli would of probably found the whole thing laughable, but it was far from being funny as Alken then decided to lose whatever bat meat/crazy concoction he had consumed without scanning it first. Some might say it was karma for his bizarre antics, however Eli felt for Ben with him being in charge of the repair team. She could only begin to imagine how they were going to explain this to Tyra but at the same time she was proud of how her friend was handling it. She also didn't blame Ashley for the necessary use of stunning the Middie and was forcibly reminded of a former CE with an apparent death wish.

As a Mother she should also be used to the smell of vomit but given the current conditions, even Eli wasn't completely immune to it. Daring to take a deep breath and imagining that Ashley's reaction would be a lot worse than hers. Eli forced herself to refocus as Ben quietly told her to continue checking the crates. " Got it and good luck" she said equally as quiet, although Ben had already left to deal with the situation unfolding behind them.

Zoning them out for a moment, Eli surveyed the contents of the crate, her basic Engineering skills becoming useful as she recognised computer chips, ancient ones by the look of it and likely saved to be stripped of components and reused in other things. Not of much use to them but at least nothing sinister was hiding inside. Inspection over and with Ben returning to check the lockers, now that he had given Alken a final chance.

Eli moved onto the other crates, hoping that the Middie wouldn't impede them any further. " That first one was full of computer chips, old ones at that and of no use to us" she said updating Ben as she prepared to open the rest of the crates.

== Tags, also GM, what does Eli find in the rest of the crates? ==
  • 0

#44 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.10 @ 00:59 (12:59 AM)

== Team No Food Fight and proud of it! :P ==

 

Nathan had gone through several possible instinctual responses, managing to suppress them all when the rat-thing came out from the door. There was the possibility of phasering it. Then, when his brain finished measuring its size, there was the possibility of booting it hard like a football for the uprights. Instead, what he did manage to do, was dance away from it to avoid being bitten. Ramius had a few choice phrases on the tip of his tongue, but held tight to that too, so as to not give away his position. However, it seemed that it might have been too late for the last part.

 

Ahead, a small figure was hunched in a corner, hiding away from the intruders. No bigger than a human child, and looking to be Kazon, she was obviously frightened. A pang of empathy hurt Nathan’s heart, and he checked his weapon toward the floor so as to seem just a little less threatening.

 

“It’s okay,” he whispered to the child, who let out a horrific screech and fled further down the hallway.

 

Looking up and over to Tyra, the concern on Nathan’s face would be obvious.

 

“Captain? Was that a little girl?” Mayfair asked, and the security officer immediately interjected.

 

“Kazon child, fair complexion, and dark hair,” he spoke calmly toward both Tyra and Mayfair, not allowing his tone to seem like he was yelling, lest he scare the child even further.

 

Part of him wanted nothing more than to go after the kid, if only to stop them from running into a dire situation because of their fright. No one had said anything about the station still being occupied, before the journey to the station, during the flight, or when they had docked. Somehow, none of their scans they did determined any sort of sentient lifeforms aboard. Either they had screwed up, or something stopped them from discovering the stowaways.

 

Well, they aren’t really stowaways if this is their home. Still, if everyone else is gone. Did the child hide where they couldn’t be found? Somewhere that whoever abducted the rest couldn’t detect, or reach, them from? And therefore why we couldn’t find them on scans either?

 

“Maybe one of you should approach the child? I’m not sure my presence is particularly reassuring, and I can provide cover in the meantime.”

 

Poor thing. If they aren’t completely terrorized, maybe we can get answers from them as to what has happened here.

 

 

== tag Mayfair and Crawford ==


  • 1

#45 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.10 @ 21:46 (09:46 PM)

From the corner of her eye, Tyra had watched Nathan count down to his entry. It took a great deal of self-control to not watch directly what he was doing for fear of leaving the elevator and her door uncovered, and it took even more self-control to not dwell on the fact that none of them were truly equipped for room clearing. For such a simple task, it was likely one of the riskier non-combat duties that fell into security's lap, the one where things were most likely to go wrong. Missing even the tiniest indication of danger could prove to be crucial to success.
 
As such, when Nathan popped open the door, all she saw was a black blur in her peripheral as the rodent-esque creature launched itself into the room. She didn't see where it disappeared to as her blue eyes quickly darted back to her two responsibilities. However, her attention was quickly drawn back to the now open door, where she heard Nathan say something quietly. It wasn't the unintelligible words that caught her attention but the tone of voice. It was the tone a good Samaritan might use to try to convince a hurt animal to trust them instead of hurt them or the tone a parent or guardian might utilize with a scared child. It wasn't the commanding tone of a security officer facing a potential threat and that was confirmed by the concerned look Nathan shot her. 
 
“Captain? Was that a little girl?”  Mayfair asked but other than Nathan's look of absolute concern, she wasn't certain what prompted the question. Then again, Mayfair's augment nature likely made her senses a little sharper than Tyra's.
 
A little girl, here. If this is Suzie, we're going to have some words, she thought, her jaw gritting together at the thought of the Q child.
 
However, Nathan quickly dispelled that concern.  “Kazon child, fair complexion, and dark hair."
 
Tyra's nose crinkled up at the thought of a child on this station in the middle of nowhere. It certainly didn't ease her concerns that the young girl was Kazon, a species that had never been overly friendly to anyone in their long existence. 
 
“Maybe one of you should approach the child? I’m not sure my presence is particularly reassuring, and I can provide cover in the meantime.”
 
The redhead's lips pursed together as she looked from her door to the elevator to where Nathan stood, almost looking like a deer in the headlights. Every maternal instinct in her wanted her to deal with the child personally as if it was a personal duty she had to see to. This was no place for a child and she couldn't imagine the fear that she must be feeling, especially at the sight of them. However, that strong desire, that innate instinct, was at direct odds with every security instinct ingrained in her over the last twenty years. Ultimately, that maternal nature was a distraction that she could not allow. Distractions led to mistakes and mistakes got people killed. As it stood, her ledger was longer than anyone's should be and she'd be damned if she let it get longer because she allowed her heart to win over her head. 
 
"Mayfair, see if you coax her out here. If she keeps running, pull back and we'll decide what we do. Nathan, cover her," she ordered, her tone holding a resignation that seemed to indicate she didn't necessarily like her own orders. 
 
"Briggs, watch the elevator while I clear this last room," she ordered, giving Nathan a nod before she turned her whole attention to her own closed door. 
 
With Nathan busy, there was no need to do a countdown but she had to be very aware of where everyone was to avoid allowing a threat inside to get a shot off at anyone. After some consideration, she adjusted her position before triggering the door's mechanism. Assuming the door actually opened, she'd deal with what was inside as quickly and efficiently as possible, using Briggs if she needed bup while the others were busy.
 
== GM Input: Does the second door open? What's inside? Maybe a nice popcorn machine? Movie theatre? A live streaming of the Food Fight of 2421? ==

  • 0

#46 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.11 @ 00:11 (12:11 AM)

== Team No Food Fight ==

 

“Kazon child, fair complexion, and dark hair." Nathan's answer was quick and carefully neutral. He was making every attempt not to spook the child and kept his weapon pointed at the floor. “Maybe one of you should approach the child? I’m not sure my presence is particularly reassuring, and I can provide cover in the meantime.” 

 

Captain Crawford agreed, but asked Robin to try. "Mayfair, see if you coax her out here. If she keeps running, pull back and we'll decide what we do. Nathan, cover her. Briggs, watch the elevator while I clear this last room." Her tone made it clear she didn't like the order, but gave it nonetheless. Robin responded with "Aye, Captain," and moved up to the entrance of the darkened corridor. 

 

What is she even doing here? Did they leave her? Are her parents still here on the station, hiding? Too many questions. 

 

"Hello?" The young nurse asked down the corridor. She put on her best nurse's voice, the kind one she used when she was working with terrified children. "We're not going to hurt you. We didn't know there was anyone here. I'm Robin, by the way."

 

Keep it soft, don't overwhelm her with too much information. Get her talking, if you can.

 

"What's your name?" she asked, keeping her tone friendly. "I have food and water if you need some."

 

For all she knew the girl was already heading further down the hall, out of voice range, but she had to hope. The Captain's orders were clear, and the Augment nurse wasn't about to head off on her own down a darkened corridor anyway. She looked into the shadows, trying to spot the girl. 

 

== GM Input, please: Does the girl respond? Can Robin tell if she's still running? ==


  • 0

#47 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.11 @ 01:16 (01:16 AM)

== Team Food Fight ==

 

There were a lot of reactions to a low yield stun, and Ash had thought she had seen them all. Security officers had training to find out what the stun felt like, how to deal with people who had been stunned, and sometimes it was even used in the live fire exercises of certain instructors who hailed from the land of ‘Mistakes have Consequences’. So, she knew that the stun would at least disorient Alken, if not right out floor him. However, she had to weigh that against the other reactions she had seen in people who got even more disruptive after getting phasered at the first setting. Alken had proved to be a little bit of column A, mixed with some weird column C.

 

A sharp inhale could be heard from De Fonto as the scientist just missed the sharp edge of a chair. That was the last thing she needed, and was glad that the man hadn’t lacerated his head; head wounds being notorious for profusely bleeding. Watching as he lay on the floor, she kept steady sight on him, waiting for McKenna and Elias to finish up their sweep. She hoped it would be fast. But the man before her seemed to already be regaining his senses. At this, Ashley’s face contorted showing flashes of concern mixed with vexation, especially as he spoke,

 

“I’m a botanist, not a buccaneer…”

 

Yarrrr, the unbidden thought made her grin a little, which probably wouldn’t help to ease the man’s dour mood.

 

Carefully, she watched as he pulled himself up, trying to determine how much of what he was showing was possibly an act or if he was still suitably stunned. Then, a streak of empathy went through Ashley. Especially as she watched the man hang his head, not wanting or perhaps unable to look up. Had he been a security officer, there wouldn’t have been a moment of discernment for what she had done. However, it now occurred to her that perhaps not all Cadets, or Midshipmen, had ever even been stunned once in their careers.

 

Turning the phaser back down to setting one, she heard Alken breathing heavily.

 

Oh no, he’s going to pass out, Ashley considered holstering her phaser as she heard him coughing.

 

“Are you…” she barely managed to say, the words still caught in her throat, when the science officer barfed on De Fonto.

 

“No need to shoot a second time, rules of war and all that.”

 

Plenty of words could describe Ashley’s feelings in that moment, including surprise, utter disgust, frustration, and even anger, to name very few. But even using all the words that she knew wouldn’t necessarily capture the nuance of the situation, and the levels of each individual emotion that combined to make the complex reaction she felt wrestling inside of her. There were plenty of people she’d dealt with over the years of her enlisted service. Plenty enough of those who were sick, injured, or just inebriated. And a few of them had upchucked. More of them missed her than they did themselves. But there was something extra to Alken’s concoction. Perhaps it was the meaty chunks of the stew still undigested that littered her attire, but it was the first time ever that De Fonto had to hold back her own stomach. It churned. It even tried to heave not once, but twice. Ashley hadn’t even noticed that Lieutenant Elias had come over.

 

“Alright you two,” he said, “That’s more than enough of this bull****.”

 

There was some less than complimentary internal monologuing that occurred in tandem with Ashley listening to the Chief. While she wasn’t the one who instigated the whole ordeal, she had certainly finished it. Though now, feeling chastised, she almost wished she’d chosen a higher stun level for her efforts. Another side, the kinder side of her, mentally rebuked her previous thought.

 

“…if you need to, take Stelic with you and go back to the runabout to clean up. Otherwise, just do the best you can and please try not to shoot anyone else.”

 

The smell wafted up into her nostrils again, causing her nose to wrinkle. Normally, she’d just live with it and carry on her duties. But this time the reek was particularly repugnant.

 

“Understood,” she said with all the respect she could drum up, “Stelic, if you’d accompany me.”

 

Turning on heel, she headed for the elevator.

 

 

== leaving to the Orion with Stelic for a quick change! ==


  • 0

#48 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22106.11 @ 16:00 (04:00 PM)

==For simplicity/my own sanity, I'm going to break inputs into two posts from now on, based on where people are.
Team Food Fight==

 

Neither the lockers nor the crates had anything particularly interesting; the rest of the crates were like the first, containing mostly-recycled parts and other bits of junk that might be smelted down and repurposed into something useful. 

 

The lockers contained equipment suited to maintaining the craft in the large hangar outside the window, though it was of an age that made the equipment Elias had experienced in his pre-Star Fleet career look positively modern. Curiously there were also a number of heavily-patched EVA suits, suggesting that the repair area either could be depressurised if required, or was permanently without an atmosphere.


  • 0

#49 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22106.11 @ 16:08 (04:08 PM)

==Team Boring==

 

The frightened child had disappeared further into the unlit access tunnel, and though for a moment Mayfair could still hear the patter of small feet on the deck, that too disappeared alarmingly quickly. The child had either stopped, or their feet were no longer in contact with the deck plating.

 

The second door led to an office, presumably belonging to whoever was in charge. The room showed signs of violence, though whether this was recent or not would require a forensic tricorder; the desk had a large dent in it, the computer terminal had a cracked screen, and several of the curios that littered the desk and some of the shelves were visibly damaged.

 

The item of peculiar interest, however, was a picture in a broken frame on the desk. It showed the Talaxian Neelix, who stood beaming behind a group of Kazon who looked rather uncomfortable despite their outwardly proud bearing; two adult males who might have been twins; three younger adults, two male and female who stood next to a Talaxian male of similar apparent age; a male who looked to be in the Kazon equivalent of his teens; and the small child they had seen disappearing into the vents.


  • 0

#50 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.11 @ 17:33 (05:33 PM)

== Team Food Fight == 
 
A wave of relief washed over the older man as Ashley first lowered her phaser, and eventually holstered it entirely. They had both come out looking worse for wear after their small skirmish, and neither would benefit from further hostilities. Ed still looked weak on the floor, but strength was gradually returning, as was his hearing, that had momentarily blotted out the orders of the woman who had been towering over him. Elias had disarmed the situation by taking a firm grip, and Ed felt himself drawn for the first time to do what he was told. 
 
“The manifest… On it.” 
 
He had descended, and now was the time to resurrect. Slowly he pulled himself to his feet using the console to steady his weight. His legs were this time able to retain an upright posture, as he fixed his uniform. Elias had offered the security officer the opportunity to return to the Orion for a fresh uniform as well. Ed somehow had managed to avoid getting any of the projectiles on his own uniform, saving most of it for the metallic floor and the security officer’s shoes. He had however, had a direct hit when playfully passing the bat stew into her hands. 
 
I should have been a tactical officer. 
 
He had taken some satisfaction that he wasn’t the only one to look worse for wear, and with that he felt some of his own pride return. The console his hands were gripped to had not progressed an inch beyond the confirmation that the reboot had completed.  Ed had carefully navigated the interface, starkly different to those Starfleet employed on the runabout, making use of the tricorder where he found difficulty, in search of the stations manifest. It was then that yet another distraction captured the scientist's attention. 
 
The older man didn’t have a great vantage point, but he could see in a narrow lane between the bodies of Eli and Elias the row of lockers, containing what appeared to be EV suits that had been stowed. They had been stowed without any care, but they sparked a curiosity in the man. 
 
The botanist had been about to suggest that De Fonto adorn a patchwork environmental suit, saving herself a journey back to the Orion and allowing the team to maintain a full security contingent, but before he had been able to voice the advice she was gone. 
 
His attention on the suits however had not dwindled. 
 
The patchwork of the uniforms may have been the makeshift quick repairs for a station that was ill supplied by those who were present, further evidence that if their food supplies had been undependable, that so too might their oxygen supplies. They had obviously been well worn. Alternatively the patchworked EV suits might have been badges of honour for those starship repairs, each patch a sign of a maintenance project successfully completed. If that were true, these suits had been adorned by rather experienced engineers, for the patchwork was plentiful. Ed had known engineers and security officers to keep score, it wasn’t an unfeasible conclusion. The last option was the least likely because somewhere close by, relatively speaking, patchwork was the passion of a cultured alien species that had mastered fine cuisine and had applied their arts of the world of EV fashion. Ed wasn’t so sure, but it did leave an interesting temptation for the man, all in the name of science.
 
I wonder if they are comfortable?
 
He had a glint in his eye. A troublesome one. As if he had seen a dinner sitting atop of a console and been drawn to take a bite. A temptation was rising within him, an overwhelming urge to make a selection from the storage locker, assess the thick fabric texture in his hands and slip the suit on. He wanted to know how it felt, and supposed that by wearing their clothing he might better understand the people who would adorn themselves in such a uniform. The impulse was to try it on for size...
 
Both Eli and Elias were standing between himself and the locker, a wall to stop any further acts of insanity, and so for once common sense would reign.
 
...Not an option Edward. Stay at the damn console, that’s what he told you. Just do the damn task at hand...
 
He shook off the feeling, not voicing any of his inner monologue, leaving the others interpreting the shake as either the standard act of a madman, or the unrepressed gitters of the recently stunned. 
 
The botanist’s eyes were now focused back on the console that had completed its reboot. 
 
Let’s see… What have we got on this steel bucket? 
 
With that he was sifting through the files marked manifest. 
 
== GM Input - What are the contents of the station’s manifest please? == 

  • 0

#51 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.11 @ 17:52 (05:52 PM)

== Team Not Covered in Bat Meat Stew and Vomit ==

 

Aww, nuts. Yeah, that went about as well as I expected. 

 

Robin listened intently for a moment, trying to get a sense where the girl had gone. Nothing. She hadn't heard a door, but that didn't mean much. The girl might have stopped, might have gone into an open room to hide, or might be off the deck. 

 

In the vents or access tunnels? Well, it'll have to wait. There's no way I'm going down there without Security. Whole place is probably filled with alien eggs. 

 

The young nurse really regretted having seen that movie recently. She waited another moment, listening again, trying to pick out the sounds of movement with her sharp hearing. The girl wasn't making any noise that she could hear. 

 

"It's OK," she called, louder this time. She felt helpless, but there wasn't much to do... at least here. "We really aren't here to hurt you. If you need help, just ask." 

 

With that the purple-eyed Lieutenant went back to the console and resumed the work she had started before interruption. "Sorry, the girl's run off, Captain," she called over. Tyra had opened her door, and thankfully not been greeted with weapons fire. Robin took a big drink of her water, wincing a bit at the taste of the electrolyte mix, something she'd never liked. 

 

OK, let's see... what can I do with this console? Intercom first, then station capabilities, then internal sensors. Wait, sensors second. Maybe we can track her with those... or find out if there's anyone else in this roaster. 

 

== GM Input, please: Can Robin access any of these systems: intercom, internal sensors, station capabilities? ==


  • 0

#52 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.11 @ 19:35 (07:35 PM)

== Team No Drama Llama ==

It didn't matter how many doors had been popped or how many entries qn officer had made, there was always a surge of adrenaline that accompanied an entry. Tyra had felt that familiar rush as the door had yawned open and she had made entry into what was evidently an office, an empty office at that.

After doing her due diligence of clearing behind the desk and other nooks and cranies, the redhead stood in the middle of the room, her pistol hanging limply at her side. The room had taken a beating, a rather personal one at that. It wasn't the debris and damage that came from structural damage or collateral damage from an exterior fire fight. It was the type of damage she had seen in crime scenes before, evident signs of a struggle or an outright fight. There weren't any signs of blood that she could see but the damage to the desk and computer's screen had been done all the same. Maybe it had been less of an assault and more of a ransacked.

It was curiosity that propelled her around the desk, fingers tracing the large dent on the desk. It looked too big to be caused by a fist but she thought that a hard enough head might have done it. Her blue eyes shifted to the screen, examining the crack, before moving to the other items on the desk.

It was the picture that caught her attention quickly, her fingers reaching out to grasp it before she could think better of it. She shook it carefully, watching tiny little fragments of glass fall like diamonds from the frame, before brushing her fingers across the surface of the picture.

Neelix was what caught her attention first, causing the tiniest of puffs of air to push out of her chest and throw her nose. He looked as ridiculously happy as he ever seemed to be and she could almost hear his annoyingly optimistic voice explaining who each of the people in the picture were in an unnecessary amount of detail. However, an explanation would have been helpful as her eyes roamed over the largely Kazon gathering, containing a range of ages that suggested they were likely family.

The Talaxians had indicated that the repair station was friendly but she didn't remember anyone saying it was Kazon or Talaxian operated. However, given that the little girl in the picture matched the little girl Nathan had described, she had to assume this base belonged to people in this picture but that still left so many questions.

With photo in hand, Tyra began moving back out of the office, holsters her weapon as she moved.

"Sorry, the girl's run off, Captain," she heard Robin report as she reached the doorway.

Her answer was a sigh as she forced her free hand to stay at her side instead of rubbing her face in exasperation.

"Did you find an intercom system? I need it, if you can get me access to it. It's got to be better than playing a game of hide and seek," she said, pausing behind Mayfair before walking to the door the little girl had been behind.

"Nathan," she called into the room, "how far back does this corridor go? We can't just leave that kid back there... even if the rest of the base is empty."

As she said that, she looked back down at the picture in her hand, looking at the little girl with a quiet concern. And then, there was her teenage... brother? If Kazon teens were anything like Human teens and that boy was on board this station, there was a very real danger that he'd do something stupid... avoidably stupid.

"Crawford to Elias. We had eyes on a child up here before she ran, a Kazon child. The occupants of this base are likely Kazon, though believed to be friendly. I now anticipate that, unless they left their child behind, we're looking at..." she paused to examine the picture in her hand, "seven likely occupants, including the child. Proceed with caution -- if we can get the intercom online, we'll get this sorted before anyone does anything stupid."

== Tag guys ==
  • 0

#53 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.13 @ 02:56 (02:56 AM)

==Team Circus Monkeys==

 

Benjamin was glad that De Fonto was taking him up on the offer to head back to the runabout. Not only did he presume she would be much more comfortable in a fresh uniform, but the smell of the spilt food and vomit was threatening to upset his coffee-laden stomach. He swallowed down his bile as he continued to look through the storage lockers and found… antiques.

 

The materials were obviously being kept on hand to maintain spacecraft of some type, but they were positively ancient, even compared to some of the old stuff he had used to maintain Harkens’ smuggling craft. None of it would be useful for a ship like Artemis, or even the Orion; it would be better suited as museum pieces, as far as he was concerned, although the heavily patched EVA suits would likely just be better off recycled. He wouldn’t risk using one of those unless there was no other choice, and even then he’d keep a ship nearby for an emergency beam-out.

 

He sighed, and turned back to the main area of the control bay. He saw Alken working on the console, though his attention was drifting repeatedly back towards the locker with the EVA suits. He shut the locker back, and saw the scientist refocus back on the console, though the two events seemed to happen practically simultaneously. He wished he could have kept Stelic back to keep working alongside the man, but he knew better than to send a lone person back through the station, when they had potential hostiles in the area.

 

He started to turn to Eli, but his commbadge chirped. Tyra told him that they were likely looking at Kazon, which made his shoulders sag a little. He remembered listening to tales from the Talaxians of the Kazon attacking them, and what a terror they had been several times throughout their time not only at the asteroid base, but also back in their original home sector, halfway across the quadrant. But if they’re so hostile, he thought, why would Neelix recommend this place as a safe harbor? Something wasn’t quite adding up, but considering one of them was a child it didn’t seem like this would be an ambush.

 

Of course, people do tend to defend children even fiercer than they do themselves.

 

“Understood, ma’am,” he told her in reply. “It’s likely at least one is down here; we found a half-eaten, still steaming bowl of… food,” he finished, not wanting to get into what it could have been. “McKenna and I are searching the area still, but I had to send De Fonto and Stelic back to the runabout. There was… some equipment De Fonto wanted to retrieve.” New uniforms count as equipment, right? “Will reach out if we find someone.”

 

That minimal report delivered – as frustrated as he was with the situation, he didn’t want the captain worrying about it now, not with Kazon about – he turned back to Eli. They were running out of places to look, with the crates being full of junk just like the lockers were. “Alright,” he said quietly. “Keep watch on me; time to get a little more invasive.” Holstering his phaser, Benjamin sighed and started moving things; first the crates and then the lockers. It was possible it was a wild goose chase, but at this point his gut said there was someone here; it was possible there was a hidden compartment somewhere, or a hidden door. He was determined to find it.

 

==GM Input: Is there anything to be found? Moving the crates and lockers around, searching the walls behind the two areas, etc. Also, I may have misread your last input: is there a ship in the bay, currently? Your previous descriptions didn’t sound like there were, but your last one sounded like there was. Also, is there a way into the bay from here, or even to anywhere else? Or is the elevator the only exit point?==


  • 0

#54 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.13 @ 09:05 (09:05 AM)

== Team Food Fight ==

With Alken behaving himself for now and Ashley taking Stelic with her to get changed in the Orion. Eli hoped that they could all just focus on what they were here for, without any further childish interruptions. Continuing her search of the crates, it was of no surprise to find more mostly recycled parts and other items that were essentially junk. However knowing Ben as she did, he would no doubt find a way to use them if needed.

Taking a moment to right herself, she was about to report her recent findings to Ben, when his commbadge chirped. It wasn't difficult to hear what Tyra was telling them and to hear that they weren't completely alone wasn't a complete shock. The half eaten meal, the bats and now this latest development made sense once you really thought about it. Of course that still raised unanswered questions, but for now, Eli listened as Ben answered and gave the CO an update.

Nicely done, Eli thought considering what had happened and knew they would give a more detailed report, once they were back on the Artemis. When Ben then asked her to watch over him, as it was time to get more invasive. Eli answered her friend quickly, " Of course, I've got your back" she replied, steadying her pistol once more as Ben began to move things, intent on finding whoever might be hiding down here. The last thing she wanted was for Ben to get hurt as so far she had only heard stories about the Kazon and would only use her weapon if necessary.

== Tag Ben ==
  • 0

#55 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22106.16 @ 12:16 (12:16 PM)

==Team Food Fight==

 

Moving the crates revealed a covered hatch that presumably led into maintenance crawlways behind the wall panels. The hatch currently seemed rusted shut, but could probably be levered free with the right use of force. 

 

There was no direct access to the repair bay from the control room, nor was it currently occupied by any vessel. The elevator appeared to be the only entrance.

 

The tricorder began to translate the manifest, initially displaying the following.

 

[Twin Sons Repair Station

 

Crew:

Tomaz

Antaan

Galin

Emon

Eron

Olin

Ayce]

 

More information was forthcoming as the Tricorder worked, but of significant note was that there were six Kazon and one Talaxian meant to be present aboard the station that were, currently, not accounted for.


  • 0

#56 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22106.16 @ 12:23 (12:23 PM)

==Team Terrifiers of Little Kazon Girls==

 

The tunnel the girl had disappeared down was unlit, but tall and wide enough to be a standard access corridor. Where it went was impossible to determine without mapping the station itself. By playing his flashlight over the ceiling, walls, and floor, it became obvious that the lights were off by design, as there seemed to be no visible signs of damage or open access panels that indicated maintenance. 

 

Mayfair, thanks in part to the translation matrix in her tricorder and partly due to to her genetically-engineered brain, managed to access the internal sensors which also showed an internal schematic of the station. The only biosigns showing on the screen belonged to the Away Teams, but there seemed to be huge areas of void space which should have contained access corridors and smaller rooms, were the base built to any logical design.

 

If the crew were still aboard, it was likely they were hiding in one of the null areas.


  • 0

#57 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.16 @ 13:56 (01:56 PM)

== Team Rocket ==

== I’m going to assume I can’t access intercoms ==

 

The terminal gave an annoying half-chirp, half-buzz, the universal signal computers gave across the entire galaxy for ‘No, you can’t do that.’ Robin gritted her teeth. 

 

Ugh, there are still locked systems here. Internal coms… no. I might be able to figure it out, but it’ll take time. Really I need an engineer. Let’s try something different before I bang my head into the screen. Or maybe that would work better.
 

She looked over the control panel, seeing a series of menus, with some systems registering as open and others dimmed out. The young Augment flicked her eyes back and forth from the tricorder to the display, letting the device’s translator do it’s work and just looking for recognizable text patterns. She couldn’t read or speak Kazon, but she could instantly remember groups of symbols that the tricorder pulled up. 
 

There.

 

The internal sensor grid was functioning and accessible…sort of. The nurse pulled up a schematic for the station, happy to find something accessible. The first thing she noticed was large voids where nothing was showing. 

 

As the Captain approached she looked understandably exasperated. As Robin reported about the little girl she was greeted with a sigh. “Did you find an intercom system? I need it, if you can get me access to it. It's got to be better than playing a game of hide and seek.”

 

The purple-haired Augment shook her head. “Sorry, Ma’am, no luck on the intercom,” she said, her Southern accent a softer mirror of Tyra’s. “Looks like it’s locked out. I did manage to get the internal schematics and sensors.” Tapping the screen, Robin pulled up the station internals on a display screen. “We’re the only life signs registering, but there are these large blacked-out areas all over. Much of the station, in fact.” 
 

== Tag Tyra ==


Edited by Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair, Star Date 22106.16 @ 14:25 (02:25 PM).

  • 0

#58 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.16 @ 23:26 (11:26 PM)

== Team Rocket ==

 

Being sure to keep at a distance, Nathan still kept an eye and an angle on Mayfair, just in case the situation turned somehow. Most scenarios where they would be attacked would have already happened, but there was still a chance. He listened as Robin used a heartening tone, while also using reassuring language to boot. It wasn’t Nathan’s area of expertise at all. He had babysat William for Eliana a time or two, but he was always sure to have someone on call in case of meltdowns or emergencies.

 

“I have food and water if you need some,” Robin said.

 

That’s smart. I can’t imagine that there’d be much in the way of food here on the station. Especially if the original Kazon here were taken awhile ago.

 

The child hadn’t stopped to take Mayfair up on the offer though, and the corridor fell silent almost as quickly as all the chaos had started. Genuine concern heaped upon Ramius’ chest, as he worried for the child’s safety and welfare. He tried not to dwell on it. However, he couldn’t get rid of all the little things that were making him anxious on behalf of the child. That is when Mayfair stopped, and returned to the console she had been working at. Nathan was flabbergasted, completely forgetting Tyra’s orders not to pursue the child for a moment.

 

What if she falls down some venting?! This station is like an ancient death trap for a child! Dead drops, fans, there could be areas without gravity or even spots that might be open to space!

 

Stop Nathan. Stop.

 

With some willpower, and recollection of previous scenarios, he held firmly in place for a few heartbeats. Then, he backed up a bit so that he could see the main area, and waited for Tyra to come back into view. Nathan’s expression was slightly perturbed, wanting more than anything to ensure the safety of the child. The more he thought about it though, the worked to convince himself he was being far too protective. The child had survived. And survived for some time before they had ever come along. They knew the station better than they would, and probably could run circles around them if needed.

 

Taking out a flashlight from his vest, he illuminated the corridor to get a better sense of what they were working with.

 

"Nathan…” Tyra’s voice caused his head to quickly turn to face her, “how far back does this corridor go? We can't just leave that kid back there... even if the rest of the base is empty.”

 

“A fair way. The access corridor is unlit, and looks like that is by design. No damage or open panels that I can see from here. No sign of the child either.”

 

He paused for a moment,

 

"Weird that the sound of her footfalls kinda just stopped though."

 

== Tag Tyra ==


  • 0

#59 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.17 @ 00:52 (12:52 AM)

== Team Rocket ==
 
“Sorry, Ma’am, no luck on the intercom,” Mayfair answered. “Looks like it’s locked out. I did manage to get the internal schematics and sensors.” Tapping the screen, Robin pulled up the station internals on a display screen. “We’re the only life signs registering, but there are these large blacked-out areas all over. Much of the station, in fact.”
 
Tyra stepped forward to look at the display screen but also to get a better look at the console in general. However, before she could say anything, Elias chimed back with a report of his own. [Understood, ma’am. It’s likely at least one is down here; we found a half-eaten, still steaming bowl of… food.] There was a pause before he continued. [McKenna and I are searching the area still, but I had to send De Fonto and Stelic back to the runabout. There was… some equipment De Fonto wanted to retrieve. Will reach out if we find someone.]
 
It felt like there was a lot left unspoken as if there was an entirely different subtext just hanging under the surface of the Chief Engineer's report. The redhead had an evident frown on her face, even if her blue eyes hadn't left the console in front of Robin. There was the obvious sign, coupled with the sighting of the child, that pointed towards the station being inhabited but it was the addition of the trip back to the runabout in the report that had the hairs on the back of her neck standing up. It was what security would call a "cover your ***" report if she had ever heard one but what exactly was Elias covering his *** over?
 
The redhead didn't have much of a chance to puzzle over what it might be before Nathan answered her question, the pause in answering likely coming from him trying to determine the answer. “A fair way. The access corridor is unlit, and looks like that is by design. No damage or open panels that I can see from here. No sign of the child either.” He paused as if he was considering the situation. "Weird that the sound of her footfalls kinda just stopped though."
 
"Children are notoriously resourceful and well, they fit where we wouldn't think to look for them," she answered. "Is there any signs of a vent system? Or maintenance tubes?"
 
Her blue eyes flickered over to where Briggs stood examining what looked to be a map of the system as well as the external sensors before looking at Mayfair. While Briggs was likely the officer after herself and Nathan with search experience, Mayfair was small enough to be of assistance in searching smaller spaces. "Go help Ramius search back there. Clearly, we can't trust the sensors," she said. "I'll join in a moment."
 
With her team each occupied with a task, Tyra began to examine Robin's console. While it was in what she assumed was the Kazon language, it was neither a ground breaking nor revolutionary design. In fact, it resembled the controls of some of the older shuttles she had learned to fly in and the wrecked carcasses they had used to simulate shuttle recovery when she was assigned to her SAR unit. Her fingers carefully traced the interface until she found what she was looking for but the command was met by nothing more than a flicker in the console.
 
Her lips pursed together as she took a step back to look at the console. It had a removable service panel that likely could be removed without little to no effort and while she had abandoned her dreams of becoming a renowned engineer around the time she'd taken up her old, trusty rifle, she was still capable of performing minor maintenance tasks thanks to a very faulty replicator on the Gettysburg. However, that seemed like it involved far more elbow grease than she had the desire to output given there were whole sections of the station that weren't showing up on their scans and could be filled with God knew what. And Elias was too busy dancing around whatever it was he had fallen into to be of much use.
 
When all else fails, stick with what you're good at...
 
The thud of her boot's sole colliding with the side of the console likely reverberated down the corridor the Kazon girl had disappeared down as did the second thud that followed for good measure. Probably the third as well. It was anyone's guess which of the heavy kicks had managed to fix the connection in the console but when she pressed the interface the second time and selected the command that should have controlled the intercom, the icon went green and the faintest rumble of static began emitting from the console. 
 
Percussive maintenance for the win.
 
With the intercom online, Tyra paused for a moment, not having actually thought the plan this far out. It had seemed rather wasteful to debate what to say if there wasn't a way to say it but now, it seemed like a miscalculation on her part to get so far ahead of herself.  After all, by doing so, she was showing her hand but she felt it was necessary to stop any aggression before it started. If it didn't work, she could, at least, report that she had tried to handle the situation without shooting first. 
 
This is no different than a negotiation call out. What would you tell your students? Identify yourself, identify your purpose and find common ground, she reminded herself as she picked up the picture of what was likely the station's occupants. She'd been given the common ground on a golden platter.
 
"This is Captain Crawford of the United Federation Starship Artemis. We mean you all no harm and I'm sorry if we're trespassing -- we believed the station was abandoned when we arrived and were curious. The Talaxians told us... Neelix told us that this station was friendly should we ever need assistance, which is why we came here...." She let the words hang in the air as she waited for an answer of some sort, any sort. She wasn't exactly sure what she was expecting but she hoped it was something a little more amicable than open hostility. 
 
== Intercom percussively fixed with GM permission. GM Input: Does the intercom actually work and transmit? ==

  • 0

#60 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.17 @ 04:24 (04:24 AM)

==Team Food Fight==

 

Benjamin leaned against the last crate as he moved it out of the way, catching his breath. Damn, when did I start relying on antigravs so much? he thought, assuming that was the reason he was winded. A swig from one of the flasks of water he carried helped, but only so much. He zipped it back up in the cargo pocket before turning back to the area he had just cleared and stopped in surprise.

 

Was that there before?

 

He looked at the hatch and inspected it for a moment. It appeared rusted shut, though appearances could be deceiving. He felt like he could get it open, but unless it was a pure deception, it wasn’t likely that their mystery guest had left through it. “Damn,” he said aloud. Somehow, he’d hoped they’d find someone, but they must have left via the elevator as soon as Artemis came in-system, or even as late as the Orion launching.

 

“Looks like we’ve got nothing,” he said to Eli, and wiped some sweat from his brow. It always tended to make his artificial eye glitch out even more than it normally did. For the first time that day, he cursed Ferengi health care, and knew it wouldn’t be the only time he did. Most days, he was in double digits on that count.

 

“I’d love to try and explore that hatch,” he continued, “but likely not a good idea especially with De Fonto and Stelic gone for the moment. Maybe once they’re back, we’ll see about having someone see where it leads.” He knew better than to go exploring alone, and wasn’t about to send Eli off alone, either. His eyebrows rose for a moment as the thought of sending Alken off into an unexplored, potentially hostile space station with nothing more than his tricorder and a phaser he likely barely knew how to use before he dismissed the notion. It was going to be difficult enough to explain the scientist’s actions on the official reports, he knew. Adding ‘I sent one of my away team off by himself to die just because I was upset’ wasn’t something he wanted to add to the report.

 

And speaking of the scientist…

 

Benjamin walked over to the consoles – carefully avoiding the vomit on the floor – and stood near Alken. “How’s it coming?” he asked. “Find the cargo manifest yet?”

 

==Tag Eli and Alken==


  • 0

#61 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.17 @ 07:54 (07:54 AM)

== Team Food Fight ==

Time seemed to slow down as Ben continued to move the crates out of the way. So much so that Eli could swear that she could hear her heart beating. Of course that was likely her mind overcompensating for the adrenaline beginning to wear off or just awaiting the unknown and being as prepared as she could be. This station was proving to be a mystery, one that taunted you and dared you to toe the line. However she wasn't about to go rushing off or invite danger especially when Ben uncovered a hatch.

Even though it looked rusted, Eli knew it would be easy enough to open with the right amount of force. Not that she was going to suggest opening it as Ben, told her as much by what he said next. As much as it would be beneficial to check it out, he was right they couldn't, even if they didn't have to worry about Alken. That was just inviting trouble that they didn't need and so agreed with Ben. " I agree, we can't risk sending someone right now and hopefully Ash and Stelic are on their way back" Eli replied, not liking the situation until she knew that Stelic and De Fonto were safely back with the group.

As Ben then approached Alken and asked for an update, Eli kept watch but was also interested in what the Middie had found because they weren't completely alone after all.

== Tag Ben & Ed ==
  • 0

#62 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.17 @ 14:40 (02:40 PM)

== Team Food Fight ==
 
Elias shut the door on the lockers, hiding the patched EV suits out of sight. The intentional consequence of the away team leader was to remove temptation, and to shut the door on Edward Alken’s curiosity. For the moment, it appeared the Engineer had tinkered enough to allow the away team to function. All that remained of the moments of madness were the intrusive rumbles of Edward’s stomach battling whatever small remnants remained of the bat stew, the messed up haircut that had been encouraged to stand in strange directions thanks to the stun setting of De Fonto’s phaser, and an unwelcome tingling in his muscles.
 
Edward was well into the task at hand, swapping between the console and his tricorder methodically. He almost resembled a professional officer. 
 
There was a loud screech as the lockers that had now been closed were being shuffled indelicately across the floor, giving Elias access to the walls behind. Ed couldn’t see much past the large lockers, but had been surprised the pair had managed to summon the strength to move them.
 
A few extra bodies would have been useful for moving furniture. 
 
The pair who had returned to the Orion would indeed have been useful, but Eli had been covering the entire enterprise with her phaser drawn. She had been poised like a security officer ready to pounce on any villain that lurked hiding within. Not unwarranted, they were after the owner of the dinner. 
 
Ed’s attention was now on the manifest list. Its contents he had not understood. 
 
A second set of screeching followed as the pair proceeded to move further fixtures within the room. This time they had proceeded to push the crates out of the way, revealing a hidden hatch below. 
 
Very interesting. 
 
Ed had been almost poised to go and try opening the hatch, when Elias prompted him to report on his efforts to make sense of the station's supplies. 
 
“So far I’ve failed to find the equipment manifest, but I did find a crew manifest.’ 
 
He motioned the man to the console that was displaying seven names. 
 
Ed pondered the names - one stood out. 
 
“If their names surrender anything about their identities, we are dealing with six Kazon… Perhaps one Talaxian. Alternatively one poorly named Kazon.”
 
The station was still vast for a crew of seven personnel, but he figured that was to accommodate the crew of any ship that was visiting for repairs.
 
Ed offered a playful look, his attention still on the hatch.  
 
“Have you tried knocking to see if anyone is home?” 

  • 0

#63 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.17 @ 20:48 (08:48 PM)

== Team Rocket ==

 

"Go help Ramius search back there. Clearly, we can't trust the sensors," Tyra said. "I'll join in a moment."

 

"Yes Ma'am," Robin replied automatically. She wasn't sure if the Captain had any engineering background, but maybe she'd have better luck with the obstinate control panel than the nurse had. She headed over to the darkened corridor where Ramius was standing. "Maybe I can..." she began saying to him when there was a solid [THUD] from behind her, a sound loud enough to hear from anywhere in the large control room. A little jumpy, the Lieutenant started a bit and turned. [THUD] The Captain was kicking the panel. 

 

I don't think that's actually going to... 

 

The thought died in her head as the third kick landed and the panel's intercom button lit green.

 

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?!? 

 

Robin wanted to burst out laughing, but she restrained herself. Barely. She rolled her eyes and went back to the task at hand as Tyra made a (hopefully) station-wide announcement. The young Augment stood next to the doorway, keeping some cover (just in case) and peered down the corridor, hoping to see something, anything. Nathan's flashlight didn't reach all the way to the end and the illumination was swallowed up by the darkness. 

 

Dark corridors, sensor blind spots, it's like this place was designed to be a death trap. And it looks like we're going in to it. But we can't leave the girl behind; she might be the only one on the station. She might be the only one who knows what happened. 

 

== Tags ==


  • 0

#64 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.19 @ 23:04 (11:04 PM)

== Team Rocket ==

 

"Children are notoriously resourceful and well, they fit where we wouldn't think to look for them. Is there any signs of a vent system? Or maintenance tubes?"

 

“I assume so, but can’t be sure at the moment. We need to go deeper into the corridor to determine that,” Nathan replied back to Tyra.

 

There was a pause in things as the Captain determined what she wanted done. For Nathan’s part, he was torn on what to do. He wanted the child safe. But he also wanted Tyra safe. Those two objectives were not compatible with each other, at least, not if it was Nathan who would be providing the security. Briggs was good enough with a phaser, so he and Tyra doubling up would work in a pinch. It wasn’t ideal, none of the situation was, but that was generally how the away missions always ran it seemed. Not that it was the fault of any one person. There was a delicate balance, and sending over four or five teams to the Repair Station would seem like an invasion to anyone aboard… if there was anyone aboard anymore anyway.

 

Ramius then considered asking Tyra to have Coleman send the SRT that was on standby. The team would be able to protect her and setup a perimeter in the Command Center. But as that thought crossed his mind, she had made up hers.

 

"Go help Ramius search back there,” Crawford said to Mayfair.

 

Holding position, Nathan waited for the nurse to join back up with him. The child would have a long headstart from them, and had probably managed to find a good hiding spot by now. As he recalled for himself, Nathan had always been a better seeker than a hider in childhood. Though his athletic abilities came in much better help later on with capture the flag and such.

 

"Maybe I can..." he heard Robin’s musical voice that seemed to carry just a hint of Southern compared to their Commanding Officer.

 

*THUNK*

 

Nathan immediately shifted, pointing his flashlight toward the sound. He had nearly pulled his phaser pistol up as well, but managed to maintain discipline until he could determine the source of the sound. Flabbergasted, he was stunned to see Tyra just booting the hell out of the console, but then smiled and lightly chuckled to himself.

 

You can take the girl out of security, but you can’t take security out of the girl. Wonder what Ben would make of all this…

 

Turning back, Nathan recognized the same mirthful look on Robin as he likely wore. However, there would be time later to reminisce watching a four-pip, auburn haired, crimson uniformed officer, kicking the **** out of an intercom terminal. For now, they had a duty.

 

Again, he shined his torch down the corridor trying to get a better look at things. Sadly, there just wasn’t enough throw in the light to give a good sense of just how far they might have to go. The amused expression on Nathan’s face morphed into determination. Looking down to Robin, he spoke,

 

“Stay behind and slightly canted to my position to start. That way we both can search, but you have cover. I don’t think the girl would try to hurt us, but we don’t know if she’s alone or not, and I’d rather you not get shot or otherwise.”

 

I’d rather not get shot either, but better me than the medic.

 

“If you see something, tap me on the shoulder once. If it is something dangerous, tap twice.”

 

With that done, Nathan started moving forward down the corridor in search of their quarry. It was a careful movement, keeping a slower pace to start. Ramius was casting the light of his flashlight ahead with a side-to-side search for the majority of the time, while occasionally throwing it to the floor and the ceiling to check for any hang-ups. What he hoped to find was evidence that the girl might have ducked into a doorway, but he was also vigilant to look for vents and access hatches. Nathan was sure the Kazon girl would understand that she’d have a better chance of evading them if she used her small size to her advantage. Which meant keeping an eye out for those avenues of escape.

 

“I’m sorry if I scared you,” Nathan offered to the corridor, keeping his phaser pistol checked, “I’m not here to hurt you; I just don’t want to get hurt by anyone who might be with you.”

 

 

== GM Input: What do we find as we move down the corridor? Any chance at a reply? Also, tag to Mayfair! ==


  • 0

#65 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.19 @ 23:13 (11:13 PM)

==GM: I'm out of town until Sunday night, likely can't really post until Monday, but I'd like to know if Tyra's comm call worked before I do anything anyway. Will wait on you if possible.==
  • 0

#66 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22106.21 @ 15:31 (03:31 PM)

==Team Boring==

 

==Ramius==

 

As Ramius moved down the corridor, he found a small vent in the wall, partially recessed into the panel, that looked to be a ventilation duct of some form. The grate was attached by a hinge, and was slightly askew, indicating that someone had likely opened it and not had time to close it properly. The ductwork beyond the grate did not go far before bending at a ninety degree angle, preventing him getting a decent look.

 

The duct itself did not look large enough for a man of his size to fit down. Mayfair or McKenna, possibly, but definitely not wearing any tactical gear.

 

It was while he was investigating the duct that Ramius would feel something small and hard press into the small of his back, and the smell of sweat and machine parts filled his nostrils as a deep voice, sounding almost Irish in its inflection, rang in his ears.

 

"You're no Kazon, but you're intruding on family property, and that makes you a problem. Drop the weapon, or I drop you."

 

==Crawford==

 

For a moment the message seemed to have gone into the aether, unheard by the denizens of the station despite it broadcasting through the speakers. Seconds stretched by, before the speakers crackled with a voice that, while not frightened, was undeniably anxious.

 

[Go Away! We can't help you!]

 

One of the screens flickered to life, broadcasting the face of the eldest-looking Kazon, who had a stern and unhappy expression on his face.

 

[Leave, and tell Neelix never to send anyone here again! He's caused us nothing but trouble!]


  • 0

#67 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.21 @ 18:04 (06:04 PM)

== Team No Bat Stew ==
 
Nathan had a full foot of height on Robin and looked down at the small, slight nurse. “Stay behind and slightly canted to my position to start. That way we both can search, but you have cover. I don’t think the girl would try to hurt us, but we don’t know if she’s alone or not, and I’d rather you not get shot or otherwise. If you see something, tap me on the shoulder once. If it is something dangerous, tap twice.”
 
"Right, she said softly. He headed down the corridor, putting some space between them and began investigating some ductwork. She followed, stepping into the corridor, and gave her enhanced eyes a moment to adjust to the darkness. 
 
Before she could catch up to the Security Officer a figure came out of the shadows behind him and pressed something into his back. A deep voice said "You're no Kazon, but you're intruding on family property, and that makes you a problem. Drop the weapon, or I drop you."
 
Oh crap! The purple-haired nurse froze for a moment, unsure what do do, then flattened herself against a wall as quietly as she could. The Captain was back down the corridor the other way, and Robin thought it unlikely that she'd heard anything. Yelling for help might get Nathan shot... and let the deep-voiced being know she was there. He might not have noticed her, since he'd moved right up behind the Lieutenant and hadn't addressed her at all. 
 
She gritted her teeth and carefully drew her phaser. There was nothing for it. She might have the drop on the mysterious man (or rather, she hoped she did), but that wouldn't last. The nurse drew a bead on him and said loudly "No, you drop it or I drop you." She hoped that the Captain would hear and come a runnin', but couldn't count on it. "We don't mean anyone here any harm, didn't even know there was anyone here, but I'm not going to let you hurt him." She desperately hoped she sounded more confident than she felt. The young woman had never shot anyone before. "Put it down and let's talk." 
 
== GM: How does he react? If he attacks either Ramius or Robin she will shoot at him. ==

  • 0

#68 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.22 @ 00:05 (12:05 AM)

== Team Rocket ==

 

There was little of interest initially, though Nathan had to be careful to check everything as they went along. If the little girl had snuck away, it was probably somewhere along the corridor. Somewhere small, where she could easily evade them. Another wave of concern passed over Nathan. More than anything, he didn’t want their searching for her to endanger the child, pushing them further than they would normally go for instance.

 

A vent… his brain clicked on something recessed, possibly a type of ventilation. Ramius put his hand up, signaling that he was going to stop for a moment, though he forgot that Robin was in the dark behind him; it wasn’t likely that she’d see his motion.

 

The grating was uneven, which caused Nathan to raise his eyebrow. Whoever it was, the Kazon girl or not, hadn’t had time to close it the right way. A quick flash from his light showed that it was a small duct, too small for Nathan even without all of his gear. That caused a frown to form over his face, as he didn’t like the idea of sending Mayfair in after the kid. Though, they were all Star Fleet officers. They all had basic training with weaponry and hand to hand if it came down to that. Still, to Nathan if felt like something that Security should take care of.

 

When he felt the press of something into his back, there was a thought to admonish Mayfair for messing about. After all, who else could be behind him, he wondered? The sudden filling of his nostrils of sweat, oils, and metal made him realize the situation was much more dire than some poorly chosen joke.

 

"You're no Kazon, but you're intruding on family property, and that makes you a problem. Drop the weapon, or I drop you."

 

Damnit, how the hell did they get between Robin and I without us seeing?

 

“Of course. No need for violence. We don’t mean any harm,” Nathan said calmly, and slowly raised his arms so that his weapon would be in view of whoever it was behind him. With a flick of his thumb, the safety on the phaser pistol engaged.

 

“Should I set it dow…” the words barely made it out of his mouth, when he heard Mayfair from behind.

 

"No, you drop it or I drop you."

 

Wincing, the security officer hoped the assailant wasn’t the jumpy trigger-finger type. There was little for him to do, a hostage in the standoff.

 

== tag GM/Mayfair ==


  • 0

#69 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.22 @ 03:20 (03:20 AM)

==Team "Give Elias an Embolism"==

 

Somehow, Benjamin wasn’t surprised by Alken’s answer. It had been a simple question, a report on a simple task that any cadet should’ve been able to do, much less an actual midshipman who had graduated the Academy and been assigned to not just a starship, but one at the forefront of a new frontier.

 

“So far I’ve failed to find the equipment manifest, but I did find a crew manifest,” the older midshipman replied.

 

The sigh that escaped his lips felt like it aged the engineer by a decade. So this is why Tyra seems on edge all the time. He went on about the names on the list and commented playfully about the hatch in the corner, but Benjamin was only half-listening. Instead, he was trying to calm down his artificial eye, which had very explicably started fritzing out just moments before.

 

Fortunately, he got a moment’s more reprieve as the intercom came to life, and Tyra’s voice rang through the speakers. She was obviously making good on her promise a few moments ago to try and reach out to whoever was still here, though he wasn’t sure how they would react. The Kazon hadn’t seemed like the most reasonable of folk from the stories he’d been told, though if they were living here – and with a Talaxian, no less – maybe they were a bit friendlier than average.

 

For a minute, he considered his options. If Tyra was talking to the station’s residents, then any exploring was likely a bad idea. He didn’t want to give the impression that they were trying to hunt them down while she kept them busy for one, and he still didn’t have the necessary manpower to split up. Taking Alken along was just a non-starter given the man’s poor impulse control.

 

On the other hand, if whoever was here decided not to be helpful, or if there was in fact no one left, then they still needed to find out what the station had that could help them. So they still needed that manifest one way or another. Given what had been in the crates and lockers, though, he wasn’t holding out much hope that there would be anything useful.

 

He looked at the screen in front of the scientist and sighed. Assuming we can even find anything at all. “Alright, keep looking for that manifest,” he ordered the scientist. “This time, I’ll help out.” Benjamin pulled a chair up nearby and set his tricorder on the desktop before turning to Eli. “Keep an eye on the hatch and the elevator as best you can,” he said. “Hopefully De Fonto and Stelic will be back soon.” That said, he dove into the database, looking for anything resembling a supply list, a cargo manifest, or a parts inventory that he could peruse.

 

==GM Input: Do I find something? May or may not be useful, but something is better than nothing, right?==


  • 0

#70 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.22 @ 07:02 (07:02 AM)

== Team Food Fight ==

Listening to Alken's report, Eliana knew from what Ben had asked, that it wasn't exactly the manifest they had been looking for. However he did provide them with a list of names, names the likely belonged to those who still called the station home. A point that was pressed further when the Captain spoke over the intercom. Whilst it was good to know that it was working should they need it. Of course this was just another obstacle that they had to overcome and Eli couldn't shake the sinking feeling that had developed in her stomach, that they may of come here for nothing.

Until told otherwise, they had a job to do and whilst they wouldn't be straying too far away from this control room. Eli was ready to do what was necessary to help her team and the others. So as Ben spoke to Alken about finding the right manifest and began to help the scientist, Eli was hopeful that they would get what they came for. When her friend and repair team leader then asked her to keep watch on the hatch and elevator as best she could. Eli was quick to respond and shared his hope about Stellic and De Fonto.

" Got it and let's hope so" she replied, turning slightly to get a better view of the hatch and elevator. Her breath and heart rate under control as she began her silent vigil and defence of the team.

== Tags, also GM does anyone come through the hatch or use the elevator? ==
  • 0

#71 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.23 @ 17:54 (05:54 PM)

== Team Food Fight == 
 
The Chief’s reaction suggested that Ed’s findings were not what the man had wanted. That sense had only been reinforced by Elias positioning himself to assist the Midshipman's search for a manifest of supplies and repair equipment aboard. This was a bold move from the engineer considering what had become of the security officer when she had attempted to assist the botanist with his task. 
 
Chaperoned again. 
 
Thankfully for Elias the Kazon hadn’t provided a second course to the bat stew. 
 
Ed kept his feelings on the matter hidden, but he was unimpressed with the man’s sudden involvement in his task. This was different from the security officer’s tactics, and so he kept his feelings to himself.
 
Crawford's voice had resounded from Elias’s comm badge. 
 
It seems the other team has encountered some of these names.
 
The engineer proceeded to search for a maintenance manifest, but Ed wasn’t prepared to let go of the names that were on the crew manifest. 
 
He began a search of the station's database, this time specifically in reference to the names listed. The tricorder would provide a tool to break through any firewalls and security measures, and with any luck he would find crew records corresponding to the names, their professions aboard, and possibly even logs of the crew members. All of that could be more invaluable than a list of spanners and hull plate components.
 
Two searches had begun. Ed’s search for crew information, and Elias’s for a maintenance manifest. If Ed’s search proved fruitless, he’d have an earful from the senior officer who wanted him to be searching for engineering data. 
 
== GM Input: (1) How does the station's systems respond to Ed’s search of its files using the names from the manifest. (2) Does the database have any crew records for them?  (3) Are there any crew logs in the station's systems, and if so, what do they reveal anything about life aboard the station in the last two months? ==

  • 0

#72 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.23 @ 23:05 (11:05 PM)

== Team Rocket! ==
 
A younger Tyra Crawford, filled with more impulse and bravado and less experience, would have leaned into the screen with a near-sneer and reminded the ******* on the other end of the line that she was more than capable of ripping the station out from under the man's boots with little more than a snap of her fingers. Maybe, the approach would have worked out of sheer fear but more than likely, it would have led them headlong into a conflict that was entirely avoidable. This wasn't war, where diving headlong into conflict was practically expected, and it was literally her job to not start a war in the Delta Quadrant, even if it had been tempting a time or two when Neelix had tested her patience with his unending chatter.
 
"Listen --" she paused, blue eyes shifting towards the doorway that Mayfair had disappeared a few moments ago. She swore she had heard something but her pause led to no new sounds so she shook her head slightly and returned her focus to the screen in front of her.
 
"I understand you do not appreciate our presence and frankly, I don't want to be here either. Nor do I particularly want to get in the middle of whatever issue you may have with Neelix. However, someone left a present out there," she waved her hand towards the large windows in the command center," and it blew a damn hole in my ship. The fact of the matter is that we've limped that ship as far as it's going to limp."
 
She let that settle for a moment, eyes studying the stern expression of the man on the screen. Very likely, her words would fall on deaf ears but it was her job to try her damnedest to poke through the shell of anxiety and fear that seemed to seep through the screen. That wasn't exactly an easy task when she didn't have all the pieces to this particular puzzle but she had negotiated with far worse odds before.  
 
"I don't know what has you so afraid and I hope that it's not us. We mean you no harm whatsoever but the unfortunate fact is that my ship can't go anywhere. The way I see it is that we have two main options here: either we can reach a mutually beneficial agreement that will allow for our damage to be repaired and us to return the favor in a way that will help y'all -- you all --,  which allows us to leave in a timely manner so that you can resume your regularly scheduled game of hide and seek or you allow me the use of your long term communications array and I contact the rest of my fleet for a tow, understanding that it will likely take them 30 days to get here and we'll be loitering in the system like unwanted guests until then."
 
There was an unfortunate third option that would in no way benefit the station's occupants but she hoped it wouldn't come to that. For all the pirate jokes that got batted around due to some of her and Jenny's attitudes, she didn't actually want to begin pirating anything but she also wasn't about to hang out in this part of space, hoping that either the Talaxians or someone in the fleet came looking for them when they didn't come back. She had expressly come to the Delta Quadrant with the goal of not becoming Voyager 2.0.
 
"And based on how many steps you have gone through to conceal your presence on this station,  I doubt you want us loitering about and catching the attention of whoever you're hiding from..."
 
== GM: What's the response? ==

  • 0

#73 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22106.26 @ 16:38 (04:38 PM)

==Team Food Fight==

 

==Alken==

 

The computers were slow to respond, as though they had not been used for such a data request in a long time. The crew manifest Alken found revealed the names and familiar relationships of the crew, but little more as the data was still being retrieved.

 

Tomaz and Antaan were brothers, Antaan being younger. Galin was Tomaz's oldest son, Eron the oldest daughter. Olin was Eron's Talaxian husband, while Ayce was the youngest daughter of the family. There was no record of the childrens' mother, nor any of Antaan's family outside of those on the manifest.
 
If there were any logs, they were either not digitised, or stored locally for security.
 
==Elias and McKenna==
 
Elias' activation of another terminal had slowed down the ancient processors and contributed to Alken's delay, and suffered from the same slow data retrieval as the scientist. He did find that the station had an ample supply of spare parts and raw materials that might be useful repairing the Artemis; they were stored in the repair bay before him in containers that suggested they were ready to be collected by someone. A pickup, perhaps, or a tribute.
 
The elevator had only recently departed with the crewpeople returning to the Runabout, so there was no danger from there. However there was some banging coming from the deck nearby the hatch, as if someone was crawling through an access tunnel in a hurry.

Edited by GM-18, Star Date 22106.26 @ 16:52 (04:52 PM).

  • 0

#74 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22106.26 @ 16:51 (04:51 PM)

==Team Mexican Standoff==

 

The burly Kazon glanced behind him at Mayfair with one eye, other eye on the unmoving form of Ramius who had been wise enough not to provoke him. The Kazon clenched his teeth and squared his shoulders for a moment, as if preparing for a fight, then dropped his weapon.

 

"Such bravery. Coming aboard uninvited, with weapons, threatening us in our own home."

 

Straightening, he turned and folded his arms.

"You're worse than the Sessen loyalists; at least they look like animals."

 

==The lovely red-headed diplomat==

 

The older Kazon made a face while Tyra spoke, as if to continue the argument, when another voice broke into the conversation followed by another face - this one almost the spitting image of the older man, but about a decade younger.

 

[Captain, it's not that we don't want to help. We...can't spare the supplies you need right now. We are expecting...]

 

[Don't tell them anything, Tomaz!]

 

[They might be able to help us, Antaan!]

 

The younger Kazon returned the elder's baleful glare for a moment, and took a deep breath before continuing.

 

[You have to understand, Captain, we're alone out here. We're not warriors, and this station has no defences worth a damn. We have to survive, and though my brother here believes our alliance with Neelix is a mistake, it has worked for us...or it did until about a month ago when the Talaxian ships stopped coming out this far and left us alone. Since then we've been easy prey for raiders and pirates, and I have to put my family first. I'm sure you understand.]

 

Somewhere in the command center, a buzzer sounded; not anything like the Artemis' Red Alert siren, but more akin to the wailing of an old Earth air raid siren.

 

[They're here! Captain, you and your people need to leave. Now.]


  • 0

#75 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.26 @ 17:52 (05:52 PM)

Robin was greatly relieved as the Kazon dropped his weapon, though she was determined not to show it. She waited for Nathan's move, keeping her phaser trained until he acted or told her to stand down. After the incident in Sickbay the young Lieutenant wasn't about to let her guard down around a Kazon. 
 
"Such bravery. Coming aboard uninvited, with weapons, threatening us in our own home."
 
Stubborn as as a mule, and about as dense, the former farmgirl thought. What part of 'we mean no harm' do these people not understand? Is every Kazon paranoid? What did they think was going to happen if they didn't answer hails and hid in shielded sections of the station? They might as well have put up a 'Welcome, Free Space Station' sign to every passing ship.
 
Straightening, he turned and folded his arms. "You're worse than the Sessen loyalists; at least they look like animals."
 
"Like I said, we didn't know anyone was here. I've seen what they've done," the nurse replied evenly, relaxing her voice a bit. "Saw how they treated the Talaxians. We aren't like them. Talk to our Captain. She's right down the corridor behind me." 
 
== GM Input: How does the Kazon respond? ==
 
== Tag Nathan ==

  • 0

#76 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.27 @ 13:02 (01:02 PM)

== Team Food Fight == 
 
I should have known better than to expect that the Kazon kept logs. 
 
Ed had applied the names on the station's crew manifest as references to search the station's database for further information. Any information would have been invaluable; if this had been the Kazon cracking the Artemis’s systems, they would have sourced a wealth of information on the crew and the threat each member posed to their reconnaissance teams. Unfortunately this wasn’t a federation vessel, and the Kazon didn’t appear to be anywhere near as bureaucratic as Star Fleet was. Ed had often found himself in conflict with the bureaucratic health and safety regulations that stalled his unique style when it came to scientific research. For instance they would have protested many of his decisions up to this point, but he had a crew who were happy to fill in for the bureaucrats on this occasion.
 
He pondered the results of his search, catalogued as a list of personnel but which could have as easily been reorganised as a family tree. It would appear this station was not just a habitat offering repair and resupply, but a family home. The oddest addition was the Telaxian who had married into the family. 
 
“The inhabitants appear to all be family, by blood or by marriage,”
 
Ed offered the update to the room, certain that they would not be interested. Even the botanist, if he was honest, had found the results underwhelming.
 
If I added that they’d all been trained in advanced weapons handling, or that they were damage repair specialists the reaction would have been different… Damn engineers and security officers, and damn families too. 
 
Even the reminder of a family tree made Alken think of his own, distant in the Alpha Quadrant. Even when he had been physically close, his family may as well have been a quadrant away. Things had become cold long ago, his family life had been well worn and broken, a mix of his own failings and rotten luck. Star Fleet had been an opportunity to flee those mistakes, to reinvent himself. 
 
“No logs that I can access.” 
 
He was back on task, peering over Elias console, taking note of the results that were pouring in about replenishment and repair supplies still aboard the station. 
 
“It looks like you’ve…” 
 
There was a thud. 
 
Then a muffled rattle. 
 
Then shuffling.
 
Ed’s eyes descended to the floor panels at their feet, following the sounds as they travelled below the console, under the feet of McKenna who was poised ready to defend their position, and finally, straight towards the hatch that had been uncovered by Elias earlier. 
 
The sounds were travelling, and the one who was making them was still on the move. 
 
“I told you we should have knocked.” 

  • 0

#77 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.28 @ 03:15 (03:15 AM)

== Team Rocket ==

 

Having prepared himself mentally for the worst, there was a considerable amount of relief Nathan felt as the weapon was removed from his back. Along with that though, he had to deal with the adrenaline that was now coursing in his veins too. It took a considerable amount of willpower to not just whip about and disable the man in the quickest, and likely harshest, way possible.

 

"Such bravery. Coming aboard uninvited, with weapons, threatening us in our own home…” the man’s footwear made a sound as he turned about, which Ramius shadowed himself.

 

It was the man’s words, a Kazon as Nathan came about and saw him a bit better, that caused Ramius’ eyes to do a barrel roll. They, the Artemis and the Away Team, had intruded. That was true. But they had thought the place abandoned, it’s occupants possibly abducted. However, there was no guarantee the perpetrators had left, and that was what they were prepared for. Nathan found himself mentally reining himself in again as the Kazon continued, making assertions that were completely defamatory. A different side to Nathan tried to understand why the man worded his statements the way he did. Had a previous Federation ship come through this area before and leave a poor taste in their mouths? That sounded implausible, if not impossible. Or were they just tired of being endlessly raided?

 

Hence the mines…

 

Holstering his own weapon, Robin starting giving voice to Nathan’s own thoughts as he grabbed up whatever it was the Kazon had put against his back.

 

“…Talk to our Captain. She's right down the corridor behind me." 

 

There was a slight wince from Ramius when Mayfair had mentioned that it was their Captain that was in the command center. That wouldn’t be information that he would have revealed to the Kazon, especially as they weren’t out of the corridors yet, and didn’t know if anyone else was listening. Plus, the man didn’t deserve more information that he needed to know as far as he was concerned. Until proven otherwise, Nathan considered the Kazon in front of him aggressive, if not an outright potential enemy.

 

“Let’s move back,” Nathan said to Robin, then turned his attention to the Kazon man.

 

“The little girl we saw. Is she, and will she be, alright? I know you don’t trust us yet, but I am concerned for her well being,” the compassionate side of Nathan won out over his heightened state.

 

 

== GM input: What was the weapon the Kazon was using? Also, can we hear that buzzer coming from the command center? Tag to you Robin! ==


  • 0

#78 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.29 @ 03:39 (03:39 AM)

==Team Food Fight==

 

Benjamin felt his frustration rising slowly as the computer worked slowly. Extremely, extremely slowly. He’d guessed, given the parts and equipment they had found in the crates and lockers, that this was a really old station. But this was just straight up ridiculous. I swear, the computers on Harkens’ rust-bucket worked better than this.

 

Eventually, finally, it pulled up the information he’d asked for. He was at first excited: there was plenty of materiel here that they could use, and he thought for a moment that it’d be a piece of cake to get the Artemis up and running in just a day or two, depending on how fast they worked. Then he noticed the “location” column, and saw that they had all been moved into the repair bay.

 

His eye twitched a moment at the oddity, and then he looked out the giant window and saw why it was so odd. All of the parts and raw materials were sitting in containers in the middle of the room. They weren’t stored and ready to be picked up and used; they were just ready to be taken. There were no ships nearby that he remembered seeing, and any that could hide (discounting cloaked ships, of course) wouldn’t be able to carry this much cargo.

 

This isn’t good, he thought. He heard Alken give his own report, that the inhabitants he had found listed earlier were apparently a single family unit of some kind, and that he couldn’t find any other logs, but wasn’t entirely listening. “It looks like you’ve—” the scientist started to say, but was cut off by a thud.

 

They both looked down, hearing the sounds coming from beneath the deck near the access hatch. Benjamin was on his feet quickly, drawing his phaser again as Alken slid in another witty comment that he didn’t have time for. “Stay by the console,” he told the midshipman, and moved over towards Eli and the hatch.

 

“Eli,” he told her, “get to the hatch and get it open. I’ll cover you.” He got a good grip on his phaser pistol and aimed it at the hatch, remembering his training and doing his best to keep calm. Meanwhile, part of his brain was screaming at him that this was a terrible plan, that they should get out of her as quickly as possible despite the fact that the only exit besides the hatch was the elevator. The elevator that was currently taking De Fonto and Stelic back to the runabout.

 

He watched Eli carry out his instructions, while he stayed clearly in the hatch’s line of sight. He knew it wasn’t the most tactical decision, but from what Tyra had told him, and what Alken had found, he didn’t believe that the station’s inhabitants were necessarily violent. It was also likely that Eli could take out anyone who attacked from her position by the hatch, and he made sure he was standing beside a crate he could duck behind if given the chance. Just because I’m being brazen, he thought, doesn’t mean I have to be stupid about it.

 

==Tag Eli==


  • 0

#79 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22106.29 @ 06:42 (06:42 AM)

== Team Food Fight ==

Eli continued to listen as Ben and Alken dug as deep as they possibly could with the sluggish systems, hoping that they could get what they came for, before this whole situation turned more sour. Clearly the away team gods weren't looking over them as the security officer considered their current predicament. Alken putting the team at risk for what a taste of bat stew, not listening to orders until Ben had to practically babysit him and take over. Then there was the station residents who didn't appear to be too friendly, so a normal away mission in all of it's uneasy glory.

Maintaining her vigil of both visible entrances and exits, Eli didn't waiver in her task, although it was obvious that De Fonto and Stellic weren't coming back anytime soon as the lift remained silent. However Alken then gave some potentially useful information before a well timed distraction came in the form of someone who wanted to come through the hatch.

Phaser aimed as Ben told Alken to stay by the console before her friend moved over to her and ordered her to open the hatch whilst he provided cover. There was no arguments from her as she'd rather find out who it was rather than wait for them to come through. " On it and Alken do as Lieutenant Elias says" she replied as she carried out Ben's order.

Taking a deep breath, Eli quickly realised that she was going to need both hands so stowed away her weapon for easy access once the hatch was open. " Let's hope it's someone friendly as I'm going to need both hands" she quipped to Ben, then added.

" Here we go and be ready Ben".

== Tag Ben & Alken, also GM input, is Eli successful in getting the hatch open and who is on the other side? ==
  • 0

#80 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.29 @ 14:35 (02:35 PM)

== Team Food Fight ==
 
McKenna’s prompt to listen to Elias had been unnecessary, Ed wasn’t looking to be shot again. Neither by trigger happy Star Fleet officers or in some Kazon family feud with Federation homewreckers. 
 
Retrieving his scientific tricorder which had been perched atop of the console to assist with code breaking as both Alken and Elias had swept through the station's systems in search of supplies and answers, he gave it a firm grasp. It felt good to know that the muscles in his hands were now responding normally after having failed him only moments earlier when the security officer had struck him with the lowest stun setting of her weapon. 
 
The scientific tricorder had a powerful sensor suite, and it allowed for various sweeps of the room around them. When it was a generic sweep of the room the tricorder would provide data from all directions, highlighting notable data but with much less intensity. It was perfectly possible for the tricorder to be targeted intensively if the science officer knew what he was looking for, and where.
 
The sounds betrayed the where. 
 
Elias had already drawn his phaser, proceeding towards the hatch. McKenna would soon be right behind him, but Ed had been ordered to hug the console. For once the Midshipman agreed. Whatever was coming, Ed was certain the console was solid cover. He didn’t need a major in security to know that. Without a moments thought he’d positioned himself no longer next to the console's control panel but to the rear of it, prepared that should the family be as aggressive as his fellow Star Fleet officers he would be able to avoid most of the phaser fire. 
 
Crouching was uncomfortable, but peering out from above allowed him to stay prone whilst directing his tricorder as if it was a weapon. The Kazon might even have mistaken it as so, and Ed would take his chances. His satchel bag was an uncomfortable burden at this angle. 
 
The tricorder didn’t have a weaponised beam, though no doubt some mad security officer or engineer had tried to install one. Instead it had that targeted sensor suite, and Ed was poised like a sniper looking down the barrel of his own scientific gun. 
 
There was more than one way to see who’s rummaging below.
 
His eyes focused on the hatch waiting for McKenna to pry it open. 
 
== GM Input - What does the tricorder say about what is beyond the hatch? Does the tricorder cut through the dampening field the ship had issues with? ==

  • 0

#81 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.29 @ 23:56 (11:56 PM)

== Team Failed Diplomacy ==

 

Tyra had just watched the two very different but clearly related Kazon with interest until the last sentence by the younger, more friendly Kazon shocked her blood cold before it flamed as hot as it could.
 
These cowards had waited until danger was literally at their doorstep to let her in on the secret that very much impacted the safety of her people, people that were sitting ducks on a ship that couldn't effectively fight. A ship that would need all the head start it could get. Bastards. If she didn't have people that would likely be stuck on this station, she would be tempted to let them sleep in the bed of their making.
 
"Oh for ****'s sake, where the Hell are we suppose to go? Did I stutter when I said my ship can't move further? Which also means it can't stand on its own in a damn fight..."
 
Her blue eyes darted to the nearest console to see just how close the threat was and while she couldn't take the time to closely study it all, she was certain it was closer than she'd like in their current state. They were too close for Artemis to risk extracting them,  plus leaving even a runabout was more technology than Tyra was willing to surrender to the Kazon willingly. As it stood, maybe Artemis could sneak out of the system without the Kazon being none the wiser but that wouldn't be possible if they wasted time extracting them. They were also too close to launch the runabout and get any useful amount of distance before the Kazon were there to vaporize them. 
 
Tyra's lips pursed as everything set into place. Her jaw clenched and un-clenched as she tried to keep that string of diplomacy at the forefront but like with most things, the string broke about as cleanly as it could have.
 
"No wonder they're picking on you like school yard bullies. Y'all have the balls, spine and honor of a ******* possum ... instead of answering a damn hail and telling us to leave due to the risk, you hid like scared children knowing damn well that might leave us exposed if we were truly in need. And you didn't give a damn."
 
The redhead took a deep breath and gritted her teeth. Yes, this was why they had taken the runabout in the first place and it was why she had insisted on Jenny remaining behind because if anyone could keep Artemis in one piece in its current state, it was her sister in everything short of blood. However, that didn't mean Tyra had to like it both for the position it put Artemis in and the impossible position it put her team in.
 
"Crawford to Artemis. Hostiles are in bound, disengage from current position and evacuate the area immediately. Send security and medical reinforcements if possible  but security of the Artemis is priority. I repeat Artemis security priority, evacuate area immediately."
 
Her blue eyes locked back on the screen with a look that smoldered enough to suggest she could light a campfire without much help. "My ship will get out of here as best as they can but not with my team aboard -- there's no time it seems.  That's your fault for playing damn games instead of answering a damn hail. We came aboard because friends of Neelix's weren't where they were suppose to be and Kazon clearly had been here and look where that concern got us? So the way I see it is you and I can keep fighting, I can withdraw my team to our runabout and we can lay down a defense of our property and leave you all to a strategy that clearly hasn't been working well based on the warp trail outside or we can find some sort of common ground.  My concern is the survival of my people... you're either among the people I'm protecting or you're a problem I'll go charging through because I didn't fight the ******* Borg and live to get killed by some ****-ant  in the Delta Quadrant that thinks he's a real tough guy. Your call on where you'd like to cast your die."
 
As she waited for what she could only assume would be a coward's "every man for themselves", she keyed up the channel to Elias. "Crawford to Elias. We've got a massive issue.  Rally your team and equipment.  If De Fonto is still at the runabout,  tell her to start accounting for every bit of fire power we have and setting up a defense perimeter.  Prepare to pull back to the runabout on my order. "
 
"Nathan! Get back here! We've got a problem!" She yelled towards the other doorway,  hoping they hadn't ventured so far that they couldn't hear her.
 
"Briggs, tell me how long we have until that ship is within door knocking distance. I need to know exactly what we're working with immediately," she ordered.
 
Maybe, she should have had that piece of information before giving the "friendly" Kazon an ultimatum or before calling the Artemis away but this felt like one of those moments where waiting for all the pieces to fall into place merely delayed their ability to prepare. If there was a better option, it would present itself or be forced into the open one way or another but if there wasn't one, at least, they were prepared for the worst case scenario. As things stood, she certainly couldn't think of a worse case than being stuck on this dilapidated station with the Possum Kingdom but she was certain, if experience meant anything, that if there was a worse case scenario in the wings, it would make itself known any second now.
 
== GM Input: How do the Kazon respond? Also to pre-empt Briggs, can you tell us if we can estimate how long before the Kazon vessel arrives? ==

  • 0

#82 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22106.30 @ 01:22 (01:22 AM)

== GM Input: Can Robin hear Tyra's yell? ==


  • 0

#83 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22107.05 @ 15:43 (03:43 PM)

==Apologies for the delay everyone, these past weeks have been...hectic...==

 

==Team Food Fight==

 

The hatch opened with a dull creak as rusting hinges protested the movement. There was more loud banging and a terrified squeal as light hit an exposed section of leg, which then disappeared even further into what appeared to be a maintenance shaft.

 

Alken's tricorder picked up the biosign briefly as the hatch opened; Kazon female, approximately ten Terran years old. As she moved deeper into the shaft, the biosign faded. It seemed as though the tunnels themselves were lined with some kind of dampening agent, rather than any technological dampening field being put in place. That would make it difficult to isolate and counter, unless he had a sample in-hand to study.


  • 0

#84 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22107.05 @ 16:00 (04:00 PM)

==Team Rocket==

 

The Kazon remained silent, unwilling to respond to Ramius' question or Mayfair's attempt to placate him. The weapon he had carried appeared to be some form of hunting laser, the emitter assembly modified to spread the energy particles on a cone rather than a single beam. The directed-energy equivalent of a shotgun, had he pulled the trigger, Ramius would simply have ceased to exist from the waist-up.

 

Ramius could dimly hear the sound of a buzzer, while Mayfair's enhanced hearing could make out the Captain's voice.

 

==Team Failed Diplomacy==

 

The older Kazon had gone purple at Tyra's stream of invective, and appeared to want to retort. However the younger had muted the microphone and the two seemed to engage in a short but brutal argument; concluding with the elder Kazon storming off in a rage. The younger did not look particularly happy, either, but he was at least willing to talk.

 

[My apologies Captain. We haven't had external communications for over a month, since the last visit of our 'guests'. This may be a repair station, but there are only so many repairs we can conduct ourselves with the equipment we have here. We also barely have weapons adequate to kill the rockbirds that feed on our power supplies, we don't stand a chance against a full raiding party...]

 

The Kazon took a deep breath, his expression shifting from annoyed at his elder brother's attitude to discomfort at their current situation.

 

[This is our home, and we can't just abandon it. Nor can we just become servants of the Nistrum like my brother wishes; for one, my son would rather die. We have no right to ask for your help, but the supplies and services of my family and this station are yours if you help us defend ourselves. My family are not the best fighters, but they know the station; they can be of use to you.]

 

Briggs reported that the Kazon vessel was approaching slowly, apparently unaware that anything was amiss. They would be several hours before they reached the station, long enough to set up a meaningful defense if required.


  • 0

#85 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.05 @ 17:53 (05:53 PM)

“Let’s move back,” Nathan said to Robin, then turned his attention to the Kazon man. “The little girl we saw. Is she, and will she be, alright? I know you don’t trust us yet, but I am concerned for her well being." Nathan was trying to get through to the man, with no apparent results. He was met with stony silence. 

 

She nodded, but then heard the Captain's voice calling from the command deck. "Nathan! Get back here! We've got a problem!" 

 

"Lieutenant, the Captain wants us back immediately. She says we have a problem." the purple-haired nurse said to Ramius. She kept her weapon trained on the Kazon, worried that he would attack if she let up her guard. He was ignoring any any attempts as diplomacy, and she had quite simply had enough. She wondered if she should just stun him, a rather dark thought (for her, at least) that surprised her, and she dismissed it instantly. 

 

Not my call, thank God. If Nathan wants to I won't complain, but it'd probably look bad. We're trying to convince these morons that we're not a threat and get their help in repairing she ship. But the more I see of this rat-hole station the more I wonder if there's any help to be had here, from the facility or the people. 

 

Robin began backing down the corridor, weapon still covering the Kazon, not willing to trust him even even a little. 

 

== Tag Ramius ==


  • 0

#86 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.06 @ 02:42 (02:42 AM)

==Team Food Fight==

 

As the hatch fell open, Benjamin’s first thought was that he wasn’t being paid enough for this. The open hatch revealed, in order: a small child’s leg, the terrified squeal of said small – likely female - child, and then an empty maintenance shaft that led God only knew where. I guess that answers the question of what kind of people live here, he thought. Families.

 

Benjamin quickly holstered his pistol before bending down to look further down the shaft, retrieving his flashlight so he could see where the girl had gone. “It’s okay!” he called out. “We don’t want to hurt you. We’ve been trying to find someone, anyone here on the station that can help us.” Suddenly, he regretted not spending more time babysitting Aitrus’ little girl and learning what, exactly, to say to them to calm one down. “Do you think you could help us out?” he asked into the darkness before looking back at his team and having an idea. “If nothing else, Mister Alken here at some of the bat stew someone left here, and I think he may be having some kind of reaction to it. Do you know who made it?”

 

Of course, Alken looked to be fine. Insane, most likely, and likely to be reprimanded once they were back to the Artemis, but what the little girl didn’t know wouldn’t hurt her.

 

He was about to try something else when his commbadge beeped. He straightened up as the captain’s voice came on. [Crawford to Elias. We’ve got a massive issue. Rally your team and equipment. If De Fonto is still at the runabout, tell her to start accounting for every bit of firepower we have and setting up a defense perimeter. Prepare to pull back to the runabout on my order.]

 

About a dozen words and phrases went through his head just then, not a one of them that he wanted to say when he was within earshot of a little girl. He tapped open the frequency and simply said “Acknoweldged, ma’am,” and closed it again. He waved to Eli and walked them both over to Alken before he continued.

 

“Alright, you both heard that,” he said. “Eli, take Mister Alken here back to the shuttle. You and De Fonto start working on that defense perimeter around the docking port.” He turned to the scientist. “You work with Mister Stelic and try to get a data hard-line set up from the station to the runabout. I want to be able to run the place from the pilot’s seat if we need to.” He sighed, and looked back over his shoulder. “I’m going to try and get this girl to come out. I can’t just leave her here, not if the captain’s right and we’ve got hostiles incoming. Lieutenant,” he said to Eli, “you’ll be in charge down there until the captain or I get down there.”

 

He definitely wasn’t happy with the orders he’d just given. First, it felt so weird trying to give orders not related to engineering, but Tyra had placed him in charge here, so that’s what he needed to do. Second, he hated splitting his group up even further than it had been. De Fonto and Stelic hadn’t even been gone that long, and here he was chopping his group apart even more. But Tyra had said to rally the group, and also to work at the runabout, so that’s where they needed to go.

 

Were it just a matter of the supplies and information here in the repair bay, he’d have gone with them, no problem. They had already found everything they were going to, it seemed, but that was obviously not the problem. He couldn’t leave that little girl if he could help it, not with an enemy of some kind on the way. So, he did what he’d always been trained to do – keep everyone else safe whenever possible. Besides, he was afraid Alken was going to jump either down the maintenance shaft or out into the repair bay if he wasn’t escorted.

 

He took a moment and relayed the captain’s orders, hitting his commbadge again. “Elias to De Fonto. We’ve got incoming hostiles; captain wants a defensive perimeter at the runabout, as well as to know precisely how much firepower we’ve got on hand. Get Stelic to help with that. Rest of us will be rendezvousing with you soon.” Short and to the point, he closed the channel after an acknowledgement and turned back to the two in front of him. “Alright, any questions?” he asked, before looking back at the maintenance shaft. “Time is of the essence, after all.”

 

==Tags to Eli, Alken, and De Fonto==

==GM Input: Any reaction from the girl?==


  • 0

#87 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.06 @ 07:33 (07:33 AM)

== Team Food Fight ==

Thankful for small mercies as Alken actually listened and remained at the console. Eli could now fully concentrate on getting the access hatch open. After a few muttered curse words and putting all of the pent up adrenaline to further use, Eli succeeded in getting the stubborn contraption open. It may of protested with the dull creak and rusted hinges, but she wasn't going to let it defeat her, not when there was potential danger lurking underneath. However what she didn't expect was the source of the loud banging followed by an unmistakable terrified squeal.

Instead of one of the older station residents, they had found a child and a scared one at that, as she or so Eli thought disappeared. The Security officer could only imagine where the hatch led too and the number of hiding places it offered. Not that Eli would have an issue of going through if it was decided to investigate the shaft. Of course that was a decision that she couldn't just make as Ben then tried to talk to the little girl.

When he then looked back at her and Alken, before mentioning the bat stew that Alken had eaten. Eli understood why Ben had used that idea and hoped that his attempts would encourage the girl and show that they were friendly. That was until Tyra contacted him and Eli had heard everything as the pair walked back over to Alken. Although that didn't mean that she was overly happy with the orders Ben gave them, especially at the thought of leaving him behind. Whilst she admired what he wanted to do and not leave the girl to be harmed in any way if these incoming hostiles found her, it still didn't sit right with her and had a feeling that Ben felt the same way.

Then again, she wasn't the type to defy orders and realised the alternative if Alken was sent to the runabout on his own. They couldn't risk him wandering off or doing something rash. So she acknowledged Ben, albeit a little reluctantly. " Understood and no questions, however please be as quick as you can, I still have to beat you at poker" Eli replied, adding a little friendly humour to an otherwise tense moment.

It also said things that she couldn't say right now as Ben was one of her best friends and had no problem coming back for him if needed. With that said, Eli then looked at Alken and spoke to the scientist. "Let's go Mr Alken and stay close to me, until we get to the runabout" she said, acknowledging Ben one last time, before turning towards the service elevator.

== Tag Ben & Ed ==
  • 0

#88 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 658 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.07 @ 04:03 (04:03 AM)

== Team Rocket ==

 

There was no answer from the Kazon. Some part of Nathan had hoped that by talking about the child, he’d be able to sidestep whatever loathing the man had for them. Though in all reality, he wasn’t surprised. In Nathan’s experience, a few words rarely changed anyone’s mind for the better, and the wrong words could easily dig the hole deeper.

 

In fact, pretty sure I’ve got a t-shirt and a trophy for digging holes. Never got the golden shovel to go with it all though…

 

Seeing no quick resolution with their new ‘friend’, Nathan inspected the weapon for a moment. It wasn’t a standard type phaser, as the emitter had been altered. The coils and drivers also looked like they could deliver a good draw from the energy cells. If that amount of power hit the emitter all at once, it would scatter, and vaporize a fairly-wide area. The prior knowledge that the thing had been pressed against his back didn’t escape the security officer’s ruminations. Had it been his first time facing such a realization, it might have stunned him. But having already dealt with several such events in his short career, it almost felt like a blip on the radar. A still significant blip, but not paralyzing fear.

 

Not like on the Getty…

 

The hint of a buzzer cut his thoughts off, making him raise an eyebrow in curiosity. Though, it was Robin’s expression in the dim light that caught his attention more, even before she had spoken; her words quickly clarifying it all. As Nathan listened, his expression changed to one of surprise. He hadn’t heard Tyra yelling. Maybe it had been covered by the buzzer? Either way, somehow, Mayfair had obviously, clearly, heard the command. It was curious, and Ramius made a mental note to get his hearing checked the very next chance he got.

 

“Understood,” he nodded to the nurse, though concern melded with the remaining surprise on his face.

 

“Expecting friends?” Nathan was clearly speaking to the Kazon now, "Or was that a timer for an oven?"

 

“Listen, we have to get back, and we have to hurry. I’d prefer that you come with us the easy way, so you can talk to our Commanding Officer,” he didn’t hide the last part, as that cat was already out of the bag.

 

“But I can’t let you go until you’ve talked with the Captain. If you want to do that the hard way, Lieutenant Mayfair here will oblige you without hesitation.”

 

Ramius braced himself, keeping his stance guarded as he briefly tapped the Kazon’s shoulder before speaking,

 

“Let’s go.”

 

 

== GM Input: Does the Kazon come with us, and I use this term loosely, 'willingly'?  Tag to Robin! ==


Edited by Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius, Star Date 22107.07 @ 04:20 (04:20 AM).

  • 0

#89 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.07 @ 19:54 (07:54 PM)

Nathan's surprised look didn't go unnoticed by the Augment nurse, but he covered it quickly. There was still the Kazon to deal with. 

 

Oh, yeah, he's probably wondering how I heard that. I'll explain later. 

 

“Listen, we have to get back, and we have to hurry. I’d prefer that you come with us the easy way, so you can talk to our Commanding Officer," the Security officer said. "But I can’t let you go until you’ve talked with the Captain. If you want to do that the hard way, Lieutenant Mayfair here will oblige you without hesitation.” He tapped the large man's shoulder, indicating that he should move. “Let’s go.”

 

Robin's phaser was trained squarely on the captive. She chose not to say anything, feeling that whatever she said would make her seem even less intimidating than she already was. As it was she felt like a squirrel threatening a bear. But she would shoot him if she had to. This was only the third Kazon she'd ever met, and all of them had been violent and unreasonable. The young nurse continued to back down the corridor towards the command deck, keeping the Kazon between her and Ramius. 

 

== Tag Nathan ==

==GM Input: Ditto Nathan's question ==


  • 0

#90 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.08 @ 00:17 (12:17 AM)

== The Orion ==

=== NRC - Petty Officer 3rd Class Ashley De Fonto, Security ===

 

In the repair bay control room, waiting for the elevator had felt like it had taken forever. So, when Ash and Stelic took the ride back to the runabout, it felt much quicker than the first trip had. Throughout the ride however, Ashley had resorted to breathing through her mouth due to Alken’s second gift to her. Her left hand scrunched up into a fist, then released slowly. Then scrunched up again, only to be released gradually once more.

 

All the while her Vulcan compatriot had been stoic and quiet, unless she spoke to him directly. They chatted, or so De Fonto told herself even though it was her that did most of the talking. It helped to vent a bit, though there were a few occasions where Ashley had thought she’d caught a smirk on the engineer’s face. Well, that and a couple of other patently non-Vulcan expressions.

 

Must be in my head…

 

Once they got back to the runabout, a wave of relief washed over her. Having been in an overabundant number of poor, stressful, and straight up disgusting situations during her career, De Fonto felt she could cruise through most scenarios. But that didn’t mean she enjoyed living them. Survive, yes. Enjoy? No. Another round of fist making passed, though exponentially less than the first.

 

“Okay, keep an eye out while I go inside and get changed. It won’t take long.”

 

Stelic nodded, and Ashley went straight over to the boat. By the time the access hatch had opened, her comm badge chirped with Elias’ voice, nearly causing her to smash her head in reaction.

 

[Elias to De Fonto. We’ve got incoming hostiles; captain wants a defensive perimeter at the runabout, as well as to know precisely how much firepower we’ve got on hand. Get Stelic to help with that. Rest of us will be rendezvousing with you soon.]

 

Damnit. At least I’m already at where I need to be.

 

“Acknowledged Lieutenant,” she said after tapping her comm badge in response.

 

“Did you hear that?” she called back to Stelic who was nodding.

 

“I’m going to change fast. I guess you can start looking through the lockers to see what we have. Some of the other security officers brought duffels with them, but I don’t think we need to worry about those. Let’s just find out everything else.”

 

There was a moment, as she replicated a fresh uniform including boots, that De Fonto felt like she was back at the Academy. It wasn’t a habit of hers to get retched on, but there were plenty of instances of dirty, mud caked clothes through Basic. The alacrity at which she changed even in the cramped Orion, it was like she’d never left the Cochrane Enlisted Training Facility on Alpha Centauri. A pang of nostalgia hit her as she remembered the sprawling complex, filled to the brim with all types from all walks, focusing on their chosen technical skills.

 

I really enjoyed Alpha Centauri though. I straight up miss it. If we ever get back, I’ll have to see if some establishments remember the lifetime bans they gave me…

 

Uniform on, and boots snuggly tied, De Fonto set to work to assist Stelic before getting a defensive perimeter established. Remembering that she had given one of the pistols to Mayfair, Ashley wasn’t surprised when Stelic had come back saying that there were five spare pistols in the locker.

 

“Did you check the taller locker?” Ash asked as she moved past the Vulcan to the aft bay, “Should be a couple of phaser rifles in there. Head out and keep an eye on things while I check the gear and get it prepped so people can grab and go.”

 

Ashley wasn’t going to grab anything from McKenna or Crawford’s gear, knowing better than to touch someone else’s weapons without permission. Though, she could get them into an area that was easy to access, along with the rest of the small arms.

 

“De Fonto to Captain Crawford. We have a few spare phaser pistols, and two phaser rifles. That’s not including whatever gear Lieutenant McKenna or yourself brought over.”

 

 

== tag Tyra. (also confirmed likely spare weapons with A/CD) ==


  • 0

#91 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.08 @ 10:25 (10:25 AM)

== Team Food Fight ==
 
The creak of the hatch as it was forcefully persuaded to open was another reminder that the station had not only been thought abandoned but also worn and ill maintained. The first conclusion proved to be untrue. This station was far from dormant and empty. The second conclusion proved very true. Whether patchworked EV suits, wildlife roaming the inner hull, or now hinges that had clearly rusted over time, this station had not aged well. 
 
Edward was too far to peer inside the now open hatch. That privilege would fall to the two officers closer, but Alken wasn’t limited by the mere human eye. The tricorder for a moment had burst to life, detecting life signs. 
 
“Kazon. Female. Likely 10 years old…” the tricorder's sensors fell silent, as the girl vanished once again into the station. Just as quickly had Elias started to call out, evidently for a moment having seen something too before the young girl had vanished. 
 
Damn dampening field.
 
The station didn’t seem remotely suitable for children, but it only emphasised to the science officer that this station was a family home. 
 
Makes for a fun game of hide and seek. 
 
Ed dropped his tricorder from its posture as a weapon, and moved back around to the front of the console, feeling less threatened by the prospects of a young child. It appeared his fellow officers had also lowered their threat assessment somewhat, at least for the moment. 
 
Elias’s combadge chimed, and almost as quickly the stern voice of Captain Crawford could be heard personally directed at the Engineering Officer. 
 
Kazon starship. On route. Get back to the Orion.
 
If the prospects of further company concerned Crawford, Alken couldn’t tell. It did however appear to concern the engineering officer, who no sooner than acknowledging the order had poured out instructions on the Midshipman to transform the Orion’s command compartment into a replica of the station's own command centre. Presumably the man had forgotten that if the shields had been inactive and the crew aboard had gone into hide and seek mode, it was unlikely the issue had been that they forgot to turn the shields on. 
 
I’m not a damn bridge officer… At least Alken did his best to avoid being considered one… Not to mention we already have a damn team in the command centre... What good is wasting time setting up a second command centre when we could use the one provided?
 
He kept his complaints to himself, glancing at McKenna who had been tasked with babysitting the Midshipman. She obviously had her work cut out for her. 
 
Elias it appeared would finish as best he could with the young girl, if he managed to convince her to surrender herself from her game of hide and seek. 
 
Hide and seek… 
 
Her success had been possible only because of the dampening field, but on an ill-maintained station, what were the chances that they could maintain the technology to sustain a dampening field employing some kind of generator? This had to be something else. 
 
His eyes peered at the walls.
 
The tricorder could manage very short range identification, but greater distance and they were back to relying on the human eye. Even the powerful sensors of the Artemis had failed to give any real answers about this station. It had not detected any kind of power source great enough to sustain such a field.
 
If the dampening field is not artificially generated, it must be passive. 
 
Ed kept his eyes fixed on the unimpressively designed wall.
 
This place… It’s got to be in the alloys used for the station's hull and bulkheads… 
 
Alken was now settled, surely every piece of metallic alloy employed in the construction of the station was either by design or by complete convenience, impenetrable from anything but the closest of scans.
 
Literally built for hide and seek. This place is a little more like a family home than I thought…
 
It did leave one question. Why was his tricorder able to identify the signals of his crew but not the Kazon? Was it biological? Were the Kazon employing something to dispel their life signs? Some plant or unidentified technology? Or were Starfleet employing something that would amplify their own life signs for sensors. 
 
Eli had interrupted, acting on her orders. The instructions she gave were clear. Stay close.
 
Stay Close… 
 
Close they could see the girl on the sensors. It was distance that really proved difficult. 
 
Ed had followed McKenna into the corridor and away from Elias.
 
The botanist once again had a dangerous glint in his eye. 
 
“My dear, a quick experiment if you will.”
 
He passed her first his tricorder, not allowing her to say no. If she looked at it she would have noted that it was set for scan, and both of their signatures were clearly detectable. 
 
Then, unclipping his combadge, he set it atop the tricorder. 
 
“Keep that tricorder running. I’ll be at the runabout setting up a second bridge.” 
 
He tried not to laugh at his own pun, but before she could reply he was off, faster than most men his age could manage. All that was left was the hope he wouldn’t be stunned a second time. 
 
== GM Input - Does the tricorder continue to detect Alken as his distance grows greater from McKenna’s position? Does it prove that even a Starfleet Officer can play hide and seek?
Cat Input - Is Alken dead now or later? ==

  • 0

#92 LCdr Mathew Briggs

LCdr Mathew Briggs

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 654 posts
  • Discord:9772
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.09 @ 10:48 (10:48 AM)

Mathew continued to work on the console in front of him, currently trying to assess the time they had before the ship arrived.  He also delved into looking at the station's weapons and shields status, while wishing for more than a phaser on his belt.  He didn't even bring any other weapon in his bag.  

 

****. Buck always said have at least a back up. This wasn't supposed to turn to **** though.  I'm getting soft. 

 

He looked to the captain, his mind wandering to thoughts this could be their last.  He shook the thought away though and reported.

 

"Captain," Mathew reported. "We've got a few hours before they're here.. Looking through the station's defense. Gimme a mo..."  

 

He stayed busy and focused.  While they had a few hours, there wasn't any time to waste.  

 

== GM input:  What are the station's status and capabilities with shields and weapons?  They have a magic 'that was easy' button, right?  :P  ==


  • 0

#93 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.09 @ 13:32 (01:32 PM)

== Team Food Fight ==

So far there didn't seem to be any complaints or any sudden dashes for the open hatch as Alken appeared to stay close as ordered. However considering what the Midshipman was capable of and after witnessing his eccentric and bizarre behaviour, Eli wasn't taking any chances. Her weapon was out of its holster, set on the lowest stun setting to act as a warning. Naturally she hoped that she wouldn't have to repeat what De Fonto had no choice to do, especially given the circumstances and how they now had to deal with the Kazon.

Eli was also aware that one of the station residents, might pop out at them at any time. Therefore she had to be focused and get her and Alken to the Orion without incident. That was easier said than done when said Midshipman decided for no apparent reason that this was the time to conduct an experiment. Leaving Eli completely exasperated when he handed her, his tricorder without the chance to say anything, before he gave her instructions and ran off.

Once her brain had caught up and realised, she let out a roar of anger and gave chase, knowing she couldn't let him get to the lift before her. "Alken, you're going to regret doing that as this isn't the time to play games" she called still angry as she raised her weapon and prepared to stun him.

== Oh you're going to get it lol, also GM input, does Eli catch Alken? and if so, does she succeed in stunning him on a low setting? ==
  • 0

#94 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22107.09 @ 15:22 (03:22 PM)

==Team Oh Dear...==

 

Calling out didn't seem to help, as the Kazon child disappeared deeper into the tunnel with a frightened squeak. The universal translator might have malfunctioned, mistranslated a word, or perhaps she was just terrified of these aliens in her home.

 

==Alken==

As he wasn't going far, the turbolift had yet to return to the maintenance room, his olympian sprint was truncated quite significantly and he remained quite clearly on the Tricorder's sensors.

 

==McKenna==

 

Alken wasn't going anywhere unless he used the access shaft, as the lift doors remained closed and the shaft beyond it ominously devoid of any car. 


  • 0

#95 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1292 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22107.09 @ 15:29 (03:29 PM)

==Team Rocket (Is Blasting Off Again?)==

 

The Kazon grunted and went alone with the two officers, not exactly willingly, but hardly able to dissent given he was both outnumbered and now outgunned. From his size, he could probably take Ramius in a fight or snap Mayfair like a twig, but such an action would have predictably fatal results - he was a big brute, but obviously not stupid.

 

==Briggs==

 

The station had shields, but the generators were damaged and would need repair before they could be brought up. Weapons-wise, it looked as though what had once passed for weapons had long-since been scavenged for parts. With time, the pulse lasers and magnetic accelerator cannons could be repaired and made operational, but they were clearly designed to shoot down larger micrometeorites or other spatial detritus that the shields wouldn't be able to handle; they'd be pop-guns compared to the shields of anything larger than a shuttlecraft.

 

Otherwise, the station remained airtight, structurally sound, and with all but the Orion's point-of-entry secured against intrusion.


  • 0

#96 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.09 @ 16:57 (04:57 PM)

[Team Set Phasers to Stun]
 
Alken’s mad dash abruptly ended.
 
The single minded efforts to better understand the dampening field meant the Midshipman had almost entirely missed the vast drop of the station's turbolift shaft. He had felt the tips of his toes cross the safety of the floor panels, resting only on the empty air below. He pushed his weight backwards, leaning to the satchel bag that was still over his shoulder and had managed, just about, to recover himself. 
 
The prospect of a sudden drop had drowned out the roars of the security officer, but as the adrenaline subsided, Edward Alken was now thinking and hearing clearly. 
 
The botanist turned to face her. His feet remaining uncomfortably close to the edge. 
 
Her face was red with anger, as if the Midshipman had crossed yet another line. 
 
“I admit...” He paused to make it sound like he was doing some soul searching. “That could have been communicated with a touch more clarity.”
 
He gave another look to the turbolift shaft, debating whether a jump or a climb would have been feasible solutions to the current predicament. He needed distance afterall, but it would be disadvantageous to risk his own lifesign being cut out violently, the result of a premature death. He needed the lifesign for the test.
 
“McKenna. It would be my preference not to be stunned again, and I’m not sure you're prepared to send an old man to the depths below.” 
 
They could have been talking about the afterlife, but as Ed peered slightly over the edge, he was clearly referring to the immense drop directly behind him. The shaft was vast in its depth.  Behind and above him, Ed could make out the turbolift compartment that had climbed far, presumably with the rest of the team to the console. This situation would have been different had it descended earlier. 
 
“My best experience is that the lowest stun setting will force my muscles to give way, and my body to drop to the floor.”
 
He let that sit for a moment.
 
“The floor…” he peered over the edge, “ Seems a long way down behind me. You’d best be quick to catch me if you plan to stun me.” 
 
He looked to the tricorder that had been in her hand.
 
“Now. I’d prefer to be on even terms with whatever ship is coming. Them being able to clearly detect us, and us, presumably not being able to detect them, seems like a terrible tactical disadvantage.” 
 
He was now speaking to the security officer, his eyes drifting momentarily to Elias who remained not far from ears reach. 
 
“If on our prompt way to the Orion…” he paused “...We can solve the dampening mystery, then we’ve leveled the field of battle.” 
 
He half expected her to shoot him, but then again, she hadn’t so far. De Fonto hadn’t let Edward see it coming. He doubted McKenna would have been any different. Had she planned to shoot him, she would have done so already. 
 
Edward wasn’t making much progress, but neither was Elias, who over McKenna’s shoulder it appeared was having no luck with the child.
 
“Mr Elias. You're clearly not a parent.”
 
Alken had raised his voice to get the man's attention.
 
In truth it was a bizarre comment for a man who was so unsuccessful with his own. 
 
“We will be here all day if you plan to learn how to talk to children. I’ll retrieve the child from her hiding place if you give me five minutes, and let us then meet you at the Orion.”
 
His eyes caught the most immediate problem once again. 
 
“And if you tell her to put down the phaser of course.”
 
He knew for sure Elias would be difficult to bargain with, but the man was clearly getting nowhere fast. All that was left was to offer one last incentive in an effort to strengthen his argument. 
 
“After all, it will be a conversation between one child and another.” 

  • 0

#97 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.09 @ 17:58 (05:58 PM)

==Team Benny Hill==

 

As Benjamin turned away from the other officers after Eli's acknowledgement, he heard the little girl squeak in fear and the a soft sound of her scrambling away. He sighed, but there wasn't much of anything else he could do about it. The captain had pulled them to essentially red alert and given the order to regroup and prepare; he didn't have time to go crawling through the station to find the girl. All he could do was pray that she was going to be alright.

 

Leaving the child be, he turned in time to see Alken steal Eli's tricorder, set it do do something, and begin to run off. He felt his eye start to twitch, and then felt his shoulders sag as Eli roared and chased after him. It was, by necessity, a very short chase considering the only exit from the room was the elevator they had come in on, but at the end of it the security officer was simply standing, her pistol drawn but otherwise in a fairly non-threatening stance.

 

At this point, Alken seemed to have realized his mistakes and started babbling, attempting to talk his way out of the choices he had made. As the conversation went on, Benjamin realized that his eye was still, despite the stressful situation which would normally leave it hopping and shorting out. No, he realized, this must be that "so angry you're calm" stage that they talk about.

 

It was a situation Alken didn't help as he continued with "Mr. Elias, you're clearly not a parent. We will be here all day if you plan to learn how to talk to children. I’ll retrieve the child from her hiding place if you give me five minutes, and let us then meet you at the Orion. And if you tell her to put down the phaser of course." He paused for a moment before adding, as if it were some form of persuasive argument, "After all, it will be a conversation between one child and another."

 

The words hung in the air for a long, pregnant moment before Benjamin broke the silence. "Eli," Benjamin said with a voice that could freeze the stars, "put your phaser down."

 

As he waited for her to comply, he continued on. "Edward. You will not be going down that maintenance shaft after that girl. You will not be working on the Orion. You will not be solving any more 'mysteries' on this station." He drew his phaser, calmly made sure it was set for level two, and fired it into Alken's torso.

 

"Please cuff him," Benjamin asked Eli. "If you don't have your cuffs, I saw some ODN line in one of the lockers you can use to tie his hands." He went over to where Alken had set the tricorder and his communicator before picking them up, and ignoring whatever Alken had done with it he reset the tricorder before handing it back to its owner. The badge, however, he kept. "When we get him down to the runabout, secure him in the hold somewhere, and make sure he doesn't get out. Cut his hands off if you have to."

 

He pressed the call button for the elevator, and kept his phaser trained on the scientist while Eli did her part. He went ahead and tapped his commbadge while they waited. "Elias to Crawford. We've got a bit of a situation down here. It's in hand, but Alken will be unavailable for duty for the moment. I'll explain when we regroup."

 

==Tags==

==GM Input on elevator and on reactions with Alken==


  • 0

#98 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.09 @ 19:58 (07:58 PM)

== Team No PvP ==

 

Robin was the first to enter the command deck again, backing through the open door back into the light. She stepped next to one of the consoles, phaser still pointed, giving the prisoner a wide berth just in case he foolishly decided to charge or try to escape. Between the station's heat and the stubbornness of the Kazon she was feeling weary, but Captain Crawford looked even worse. She appeared positively frustrated. 

 

And we're about to add to it. Well, maybe she can talk some sense into this yahoo. It'd be nice if someone could. 

 

"Captain? We have a..." She hesitated, keeping her voice carefully neutral and trying to be diplomatic. "We have one of the crew here." She waited for Crawford or Ramius to decide what to do. 

 

== Tag Crawford and Ramius ==


  • 0

#99 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2510 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.10 @ 13:50 (01:50 PM)

==Team Failed Diplomacy==
 
There was a satisfaction to be had as she watched her words turn the older Kazon an unnatural shade of purple. Tyra was certain her father would have been appalled by the tactic, considering it to be only a step or two removed from behaving like a brute, but Tyra was equally as certain that Liz was looking down on her with a big, ****-eating grin right now at the display. The older Crawford had always been adamant that diplomacy truly wasn't that different from the negotiations involved in the day to day security operations, particular the notice of "Ask, Tell, Make" and that was fairly close to the approach Tyra was butchering.
 
With the mic muted and the Kazons ripping into each other like hungry wolves, Tyra was left with a moment of idle restlessness. Neither Nathan nor Mayfair had answered, which left her watching that opening in the command center with all the wariness of a cornered animal looking for a predator. The Artemis also hadn't answered yet nor did sensors show any movement on its part. Briggs was quietly working on at the station next to hers, trying to find her some sort of answers or she hoped that was what he was going. If she found out he was playing the Kazon equivalent to Galaga, she very well might test the working order of the nearest airlock.
 
Her fingers danced over the console in front of her, even as she kept an eye on the war waging Kazon. She wasn't certain she would find what she was looking for on the console -- if the Kazon were truly adamant on hiding, it would have wise for them to wipe a full schematic of the station from their accessible system -- but whether they had the Kazon's assistance or not, it would be a useful piece of information in any attempt to win their upcoming stand-off.
 
[My apologies Captain,] the voice of the younger Kazon brought her head up, causing her to pause in her search. [We haven't had external communications for over a month, since the last visit of our 'guests'. This may be a repair station, but there are only so many repairs we can conduct ourselves with the equipment we have here. We also barely have weapons adequate to kill the rockbirds that feed on our power supplies, we don't stand a chance against a full raiding party...]
 
Tyra's head tilted, her braid, now worse for wear from being tugged on in frustration, swinging fully over her shoulder. Despite having a slightly wider view of the situation since making contact with the Kazon, she still was missing so many of the smaller pieces. What was the hostile Kazon's interest in the base? Supplies? The facility and its capabilities itself? Forcing the occupants under the sect's control? Those pieces mattered greatly when considering the Kazon's likely actions upon arrival -- their behavior if they were merely there for supplies would be different than if they wanted the facility entirely. In her experience, it would not take a great showing of force or demonstration of risk to convince someone that supplies were not worth the effort but she had seen men risk great loss to take or keep a bucket of bolts. Hell, she'd been one of those with Outpost 10, though the strategies of war
 
[This is our home, and we can't just abandon it. Nor can we just become servants of the Nistrum like my brother wishes; for one, my son would rather die. We have no right to ask for your help, but the supplies and services of my family and this station are yours if you help us defend ourselves. My family are not the best fighters, but they know the station; they can be of use to you.]
 
It seemed like there was a piece or two of the puzzle within that statement, though still not as many as she wanted or needed. She had so many questions and likely not enough time on the clock to ask them all.
 
"Captain," Mathew reported. "We've got a few hours before they're here.. Looking through the station's defense. Gimme a mo..."  
 
Her blue eyes shifted towards her CTO as she re-evaluated the time on the clock. That was significantly more time than the blaring klaxon or the sensor read-outs had indicated. It was technically enough time to limp the Artemis out of the system but to where? This station was their only hope for repairs in the immediate area. Not to mention, once the Kazon finished with the station, there was a chance they might try to chase the Artemis down and would likely succeed. 
 
And all of that assumed that Tyra could override the bitter taste in her mouth and the churning of her gut at the idea of leaving these Kazon to their own fates. Admittedly, they hadn't been hospitable so far but she had to consider what she'd be willing to do to protect her people. The answer was she was willing to be outright ruthless and cut a few corners for the sake of survival, a side effect of having been an active combatant in more than one war where survival was not guaranteed for anyone.  This also wasn't their fight but it was now on their doorstep in a way that frankly was rather unavoidable. If command had an issue with the decision to make a stand instead of play cat and mouse, she would happily fight that particular fight and dare them to find a better solution that didn't involve trying to run from the Kazon with a crippled ship with back-up days upon days away. That was a hill she would happily die on, if needed.
 
Her blue eyes focused on the screen again, watching the younger Kazon closely. "We can help each other but we need to be on the same page. I've asked my other team to rally at our runabout -- I'm sure y'all know exactly where it is. I'd like your family to meet us there so we can identify our allies and formulate a plan. I need to know everything there is to know about these incoming Kazon, your previous interactions, this station and what all of you are capable of/are willing to--"
 
She paused, her head turning at movement from the direction Nathan and Mayfair had disappeared in. Her hand had reached instinctively towards her holster before relaxing as she recognized Nathan, Mayfair and the younger Kazon from the picture in the office. Mayfair had the young man at gun point with Ramius possessing what she assumed had been the young man's weapon. It was very evident exactly what his father meant when he said his son would end up dead in a fight with the Kazon but that was the type of energy she could use in this situation. 
 
"I think we've got your son up here. We will happily bring him with us down to the meeting spot but I'll allow you a moment to speak to him," she said as she stepped away from the console and motioned for the younger Kazon to approach the console. 
 
"Nathan, watch him. Robin, see where the lift is. Briggs, keep doing what you're doing -- and see if they've got long range communications. My communicator might not be working," she said, looking from one officer to the next before stepping over towards the door to the office.
 
"Crawford to Artemis. Belay retreat orders. Figure out the best angle to hide Artemis behind the planet for as long as possible. Then, radio back for coordination," she ordered, her tone clipped and maybe, a touch annoyed.
 
It was about twenty seconds before an answer came, delivered by a voice she recognized but didn't expect. [Artemis here. Commander Braggins is working on the hidey-hole now. Will raise when done.]
 
The redhead frowned at the answer, wondering both where Jenny was and why Mac felt the need to cover for her. However, any attempt to dig further into that was paused as her communicator opened up with near simultaneous channels. 
 
[De Fonto to Captain Crawford. We have a few spare phaser pistols, and two phaser rifles. That’s not including whatever gear Lieutenant McKenna or yourself brought over.]
 
[Elias to Crawford. We've got a bit of a situation down here. It's in hand, but Alken will be unavailable for duty for the moment. I'll explain when we regroup.]
 
The first message had the redhead nodding her head, considering what supplies they could beam over from the Artemis now that they had the time for both reinforcements and supplies, but the second one caused the nod to pause in mid-motion, her jaw opening slightly in confusion. Had one of the other Kazon managed to get the drop on the rather hapless scientist? Was she already in danger of losing the tense alliance they had established?
 
"Crawford here, De Fonto. I've got my rifle in a bag and a mini-phaser on me that can be handed out. We have time and will likely be able to arrange a supply drop from Artemis. Start making a list of what you need and we can add to it when I get a chance to brief everyone up," she answered, closing the channel to deal with the other channel.
 
She let out a deep sigh before she answered Elias. "Understood, Elias. We're on our way down -- I look forward to whatever explanation there is," she said before closing that channel with another sigh.
 
"Alright, where's the lift, Robin? We need to get downstairs again before anything else goes sideways. We've got enough of a **** show without adding more clowns to the mix. Briggs, do you want to stay up here and keep digging into the system or come down to the rally point?"
 
== Tag everyone! GM Input: Was Tyra able to find a full schematic of the station? ==

  • 0

#100 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.10 @ 14:58 (02:58 PM)

==Team Cowboy Diplomacy==

 

Things had apparently gotten worse in the brief time that Robin and Nathan had been in the side corridor. There was an inbound Kazon ship, and based on what the Captain was saying the Artemis wasn't in any shape to handle it. Not a surprise, considering that they were here in this dilapidated repair station. Just how bad had the mine impacts been? 

 

"Nathan, watch him. Robin, see where the lift is." Crawford was giving a flurry of orders, so Robin left the large Kazon to her and Nathan and moved over to the lift door. She didn't holster her phaser, but it was no longer pointed at the large man. 

 

Weird. We just used it a few minutes ago. It should be at this level. Did someone call it back down? 

 

The purple-haired nurse stabbed the lift's button with her finger, calling it back to the Command Center. She listened intently for the mechanism, hoping that there weren't going to be any problems with it... but it had been that kind of a day, and at this point no amount of bad luck would surprise her. 

 

Captain Crawford spoke up. "Alright, where's the lift, Robin? We need to get downstairs again before anything else goes sideways. We've got enough of a **** show without adding more clowns to the mix. Briggs, do you want to stay up here and keep digging into the system or come down to the rally point?" 

 

== GM Input: Is the lift on its way? ==


Edited by Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair, Star Date 22107.10 @ 14:59 (02:59 PM).

  • 0