Jump to content


Photo

AT/E01 - Repair Station


  • Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#101 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.11 @ 12:28 (12:28 PM)

== Team Benny Hill ==

Her pursuit of Alken might of been short thanks to the lift doors not opening, essentially and momentarily blocking his only route of escape. However that didn't necessarily make Eli feel any better, aware that he had caused her last nerve to break, thanks to his continued disobedience and disregard for his own and everyone else's safety. Their recon mission had become a lot more serious, the threat of the Kazon was very real and Alken should of never put them in this kind of situation. So yes there was anger directed at the Midshipman and as he stood facing her, she was in no mood to hear his excuses. There really wasn't anything stopping her from stunning him and then drag him to the Orion if she had too.

So why hadn't she?, perhaps it was Alken realising what he had done and explaining the reason why. It was too little to late as he could of saved himself all this trouble, if he had voiced his idea properly instead of running off. Considering her options, Eli didn't lower her weapon as Alken then addressed Ben, who hadn't had much success with the Kazon girl. Eli doubted that the CE would allow the Middie to do that and if Ben told her to fire then she would. What followed, didn't sound like the Ben she knew and yet would show Alken what complying with an order looked like.

Lowering her weapon, the adrenaline and anger began to subside as Ben continued. Alken's punishment was fair and for a moment didn't know what to feel as her friend then stunned the wayward scientist. It was the only solution yet he had beaten her too it, which brought her back to how they shouldn't have to worry about misbehaving officers when enemies were present. The best thing right now was to do what was asked, do her job and deal with any consequences later.

Pulling out her cuffs from their holder, Eli responded to Ben as she proceeded to cuff their troublesome colleague. " Understood and hopefully it won't come to that, but if it does Sickbay can reattach them when we get back" Eli replied, before Ben called for the lift and updated the Captain. That would be an interesting conversation when they regrouped as she secured Alken, not expecting any resistance or cheek thanks to Ben stunning him.

Of course there was more that she wanted to say, to apologise for letting her anger manifest itself and potentially get in the way. Waiting for the right moment as Tyra acknowledged Ben and ignored the ominous feeling that had crept in, over her own part in explaining what had gone on. " Ben, he's secure and sorry for letting my anger take over back there. Let's just hope Mr Alken has learned his lesson, especially when we have more serious things to worry about".

Having said what she wanted, Eli cleared her mind as she focused on her quarry, ready to move him once the lift arrived.

== Tags ==
  • 0

#102 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.11 @ 13:24 (01:24 PM)

[Team Perseverance]
 
Negotiations had ended before they had even begun. Elias's contribution had been to inform the science officer that he was returning to the Runabout, but not on his terms. 
 
Earlier, De Fonto’s phaser on its lowest setting had turned the botanist's legs to jelly. Elias’s phaser on the other hand, had evidently been dialed by at least one setting, and its impact had been more overwhelming than the first. The older man had felt that familiar tingling and an overpowering sense of vertigo, and before he knew it, he had been forced once again to descend to the all too familiar floor panels. 
 
This time however there was no stun induced expression of shock or disbelief on the man's face. It was merely where the shot had come from that took him by surprise. 
 
De Fonto had quickly drawn without the Midshipman realising, and before he had even realised what was happening he had been subdued. This time he had watched Elias turn his weapon upon him, and glanced the phaser’s beam lance forward. Contrary to what he’d heard, looking down the phaser barrel in an act of defiance did little to make it easier on himself. 
 
What followed his descent was blurred. He could hear voices, see blurred silhouettes, everything it seemed was distant and incoherent. Until things quickly started to make sense, the voices became familiar, as did the silhouettes, and the happenings of the last moments flooded his memory. 
 
Edward moved to try to pick himself up off the ground, but it wasn’t easy. At first he thought it was the muscles, a delay in them finding their strength once again, but then his eyes caught the glint. Around his wrists were restraints. 
 
Elias had only joked about taking the Midshipman’s hands off - at least the Botanist hoped he had been joking. 
 
The draconian measures from a man mad with power no doubt. 
 
The man was still standing over him, his phaser aimed as if the restraints weren’t sufficient.
 
Edward had managed to steady himself, the restraints uncomfortably digging into his skin.
 
His readjustment however had prompted something else of growing concern.
 
“I feel it only reasonable to inform you that my watering can is close to overflowing, and stunning a man twice doesn’t help with the structural integrity of the water tank.”
 
He paused for a moment, uncomfortably wrestling with the restraints again as he drew himself back to his feet. Half expecting Elias to stun him again as he did so.
 
For a moment there was an uneasiness in his feet, almost a nervousness about if they would carry the weight of his body, but eventually he stood up straight. 
 
Restrained but still standing. 
 
“I’m assuming there's something in custody regulations about being able to use the head?” 

  • 0

#103 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 663 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.11 @ 20:24 (08:24 PM)

== Team Sad Diplomacy Noises ==

 

Whether or not the Kazon was willing to go with them was inconsequential, being that there were two of them, and Nathan holding the man’s energy shotgun. Not that the Security officer would want to use such a terrible weapon. However, it did seem to have a persuasive quality that the large Kazon understood. There wasn’t much hustle out of their detainee, which might have been for the best as Nathan watched Mayfair walking with a mixture of backpedal and crab-walk type strides; keeping an eye on the brute for him.

 

When we get back to the Artemis, I owe Robin a drink I think. Saved my butt, plus stuck around to make sure we find our way safely to the rest of the Away Team. Maybe even two drinks.

 

As they cleared the doorway to the corridor, Nathan was happy to see Tyra and Mathew again, and smirked when he saw the former’s reach for her holster. He had thought or said a phrase, or paraphrased, related to Crawford nearly hundreds of times by that point: once Security, always Security. With the corridor trio having reentered the Command Center, Ramius put away his flashlight. As he did so, he could hear Tyra speaking to someone over the station’s comms.

 

Glad that they finally got in touch with us. This could have been so easily avoided. I mean, I can understand that they’ve been raided… probably a lot. But surely they could have determined that our ship was different? Or, maybe that was the exact reason why they were hiding from us? Completely strange ship turns up out of nowhere, with no station defenses to ward off an attack. There are other Delta Quadrant inhabitants that probably aren’t as friendly as the Talaxians.

 

"Nathan, watch him,” Tyra said, and Nathan replied with a quiet nod.

 

Switching the lethal weapon to his off-hand, he set his phaser pistol to stun setting two while it was in his holster, before removing it from its home; if he had to shoot the aggressive Kazon, he’d prefer it be with something less deadly.

 

While doing so, Tyra was busy with commanding the situation. Orders were given, a flurry of comms coming in from De Fonto, and his best friend Elias. Whatever was going down in Ben’s area, it didn’t sound good. The scientist they had left the Artemis with had apparently become occupied, or worse, as Nathan could hear in the Chief’s voice. It concerned Ramius, though he reminded himself that he had other things to worry about for the moment. Whatever was going on down there, it seemed they were ready to find out as Tyra started giving orders to regroup.

 

There were a few questions on Nathan’s mind, and even a couple of suggestions. But he kept them to himself for the time being, particularly as he didn’t have all the facts in that moment, and that would only be solved when they all gathered to get back onto the same page. His eyes focused on the Kazon before him. Part of the security officer wondered what it was the Kazon was thinking, though Nathan considered he might have a general idea, taking into account the current circumstances the Kazon was in. Ramius hoped, idealistically, that they could resolve things. Because whatever came after, it was going to be a fight with the other vessel. They would need these people as allies, with their knowledge of the station, if they were to have the smallest chance of making a boarding into a fair fight.

 

 

== Following Captain Crawford and keeping an eye on our guest ==


  • 0

#104 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1301 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22107.13 @ 14:44 (02:44 PM)

==Team Rocket/Cowboy Diplomacy==

 

The lift arrived and four people stepped out; the two elder Kazon, both looking unhappy but for different reasons, a younger Kazon female, and a Talaxian male. The Talaxian and the female carried a crate between them, which they placed on the floor - it was filled with archaic-looking weapons, probably at least a century old, and probably sufficient for pest control but not much else. The Kazon currently being escorted by the two Star Fleet officers flushed with indignance, as did the eldest Kazon, but the younger of the two brothers held his hands up in a placating manner.

 

"I see you have met my son, I trust he has not been too ungracious a host?"

 

The elder brother grunted but said nothing, while the younger approached Crawford. The Kazon female and Talaxian both simply stared at the captive Kazon, both seeming to find the entire situation more than a little amusing.

 

"We are grateful for your assistance, Captain. What weapons we have are really only suitable for shooting the creatures that live around the planet below; we call them stonewings."

 

The schematic of the base came to life, and Antaan pointed at the bay that had the supplies piled up in tribute.

 

"They'll dock there, but will sweep the station for anything else they can pilfer before they collect their supplies and leave."


  • 0

#105 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1301 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22107.13 @ 14:47 (02:47 PM)

==Team Benny Hill==

 

Though Alken had not suffered any immediate ill-effects of now being shot twice at close range, it would be inadvisable to try it again; the possibility that the blast would cause neurological damage or exacerbate any undiagnosed damage caused by batmeat, subspace waves, or his exposure to different plants. 

The elevator had yet to return, although the clattering and whine of the mechanism indicated that it was in motion.


  • 0

#106 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.13 @ 15:54 (03:54 PM)

== Team Rocket ==

 

The lift arrived, an unpleasant buzz announcing it, and Robin stepped to the side. "It's here, Ma'am." As the door opened she holstered her phaser, not without reluctance, but not wanting to show any hostility to the Kazons and the Talaxian who stepped off. The team in the Command Center was now outnumbered, and things could get really ugly really quickly. Still, the Kazon weren't hostile, though the oldest appeared to be angry. There was a Talaxian with them, and the purple-haired Lieutenant felt a little better. Maybe there really were Kazon who were willing to cooperate with others. In any event it was the Captain's show now. 

 

The crate of weapons didn't look promising, even to the nurse's untrained eye. They reminded her a bit of the weapons the colonists used on her homeworld, useful only for taking care of vermin. Not even as good, since the farmers and ranchers at least took pride in their hunting rifles and they could pack a serious kick. 

 

The Kazon were at least talking. The second oldest was being reasonably friendly, and even pulled up a complete schematic of the station. "They'll dock there, but will sweep the station for anything else they can pilfer before they collect their supplies and leave."

 

Like a runabout? The nurse suddenly had a very bad feeling about the whole situation. 

 

== Tags ==


  • 0

#107 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 663 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.16 @ 01:17 (01:17 AM)

== Team Rocket ==

 

The sound of the lift heralded its slow but steady approach. When Nathan heard it, he considered trying to reposition himself in such a way as to be offset and in front of Tyra compared to the lift. However, trying to maneuver like that while still maintaining his presence near his charge would complicate things. Instead, he settled for a slight shift toward his Captain. It wouldn’t do much if they started shooting, but he’d be closer to her to provide cover if need be.

 

Phaser pistol still drawn, along with having the Kazon’s energy shotgun in his other hand, he felt a little over-armed when the four newcomers step out from the lift. Aside from a crate which was revealed to be full of weapons, they didn’t look to be armed. Mayfair holstered her gun, but Ramius took no such chances, though respectfully checked both weapons a bit more toward the floor to signal a non-hostile intent. It would be only on Tyra’s command that he’d holster his phaser pistol, release the detainee, and hand over the dangerous weapon in his off-hand.

 

They seemed to be earnest, particularly the one who spoke directly to Captain Crawford. A part of Nathan, hidden deep down and constantly under siege since the last few missions, wanted to believe that they were peaceable. However, the more realistic side of him searched their faces for deception, the feeling reinforced by the looming, large, son of the intervening Kazons.

 

Those two seem tickled by the situation with this big brute though.

 

The rest of the conversation seemed focused on the tactical capabilities of the owners, or to more bluntly put it, helplessness. Their weapons in the crate, by their own admission, were good for little more than hunting small prey. Worse, other than the Kazon in front of him, none of the rest really looked like a fighting force. They were civilians, and used the station as a hiding place, placating the intruding ship with tribute.

 

"They'll dock there, but will sweep the station for anything else they can pilfer before they collect their supplies and leave."

 

Scowling at the statement, Ramius’ concern for the safety of Tyra increased exponentially. Then as he remembered the damage to the Artemis, and her likely current capabilities, it wasn’t just Tyra to be worried about, but the whole ship, crew, and friends. A brief burst of anger came and went. He was upset that the people before them didn’t just hail the Artemis and warn her. Instead, they cowered and let bystanders get caught up in their business. The emotion was fleeting though, as he reminded himself that the actual situation and their experiences guided their choice. Experiences that may have taught them, and reinforced, the very traits that had kept them alive with no backup beyond their own ingenuity and guile.

 

The Delta Quadrant is not the Alpha or Beta Quadrants Nathan; things and people work differently out here.

 

Nathan gave a side glance to Tyra, motioning slightly to the Kazon before him, and the other weapon in his off-hand.

 

 

== tag Tyra ==


  • 1

#108 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.16 @ 02:07 (02:07 AM)

==Team Britain - We know how to queue==

 

Just what I need, Benjamin thought. A prisoner about to **** himself. He wondered quietly to himself if maybe Tyra hadn’t made a mistake in putting him in charge of this leg of the away team, despite the fact that the decision had made sense at the time.

 

He had been a department head for several months at this point, but hadn’t been in charge of a group in a potentially hostile situation like this one yet. He also hadn’t actually led a multi-department group like this either, instead being in charge of engineering teams. And most of those had been on New Talax, helping to get their colony set up. For a moment, he thanked whatever deities would listen that he wasn’t actually in charge of the whole team, and could defer to the captain for any more stringent measures that would need to be taken.

 

Because right now, I’m not sure I’d trust myself to make them.

 

He let the aggravating, aggrieved science midshipman stand up – hands bound quite effectively thanks to Eli – and listened to him for a moment. “I’m assuming there’s something in custody regulations about being able to use the head?” he asked.

 

“I’m sure there is,” Benjamin replied, “but that’s a rather moot point considering there isn’t a bathroom available.” He waved around the small room with a free hand, but kept the phaser and both eyes on Alken. “Not exactly any doors we haven’t checked, and we didn’t find one. So you can hold it until we get to the runabout, or you can **** your own pants. I’ll leave that decision to you, but if you get any wise ideas about trying to **** on someone else, I will not hesitate to stun you again.”

 

He looked at the elevator door and sighed. With great difficulty, he repressed the urge to press the call button again, knowing it wouldn’t help. He could hear it, but if there was a slower elevator in the galaxy, he hadn’t encountered it yet. It felt like it was taking hours, though he attributed that to the constant irritation of having to deal with the elder scientist with the mind of a child.

 

==Tag Eli & Alken==


  • 0

#109 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.16 @ 10:56 (10:56 AM)

== Team Benny Hill ==

Eli may of apologised to Ben for letting Alken's antics get well and truly under her skin. However when it came to the child masquerading as a Midshipman there would be little in the way of sympathy or apology. She'd seen his reaction and obvious surprise upon receiving another stun and from someone he likely didn't expect. Although she didn't feel anything other than disappointment mixed with relief that it had come to this. She never knew anyone quite like the scientist and now he had sealed his fate.

Not that she was particularly looking forward to telling the Captain about all of this. But needs must especially considering his behaviour and how it could of ultimately cost them so much more than having to restrain him. Eli remained close to her prisoner for want of a better word, ready to drag him to his feet if necessary. Instead he managed by himself albeit with a little struggle and when he didn't need her assistance, bit back a retort at his description of having a full bladder, before he quoted regulations.

Ben was right and she wasn't about to try and find a bathroom for Alken and with the choices that he was given. Eli hoped that he would be smart about it and make the right decision for once. Yes, there were risks involved in stunning him a third time but she wasn't about to become his next target and end up smelling worse than the bat meat vomit that De Fonto had found herself covered in.

" For your sake and ours, I suggest that you make the right choice Mr Alken" she added, thinking that if Ben didn't stun him then she would, should Alken try anything stupid again. Now they just needed the lift to hurry up, which seemed to be taking its time. Patience was something that she had used a lot of already, so what was a few minutes more, especially considering what was yet to come, once the Kazon arrived. As long as she concentrated and tried not to think too much about it, then that's all she required until they regrouped with the others.

== Tag Ben & Alken ==
  • 0

#110 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2536 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.17 @ 13:00 (01:00 PM)

== Team Cowboy Diplomacy Needs a Drink ==
 
The brief relief at the impending arrival of the lift car was so brief that it practically didn't even register as the doors yawned open to reveal anything but an empty lift. It took a great deal of self-control to keep Tyra from rubbing the bridge of her nose in exasperation. She was pretty certain that she had been clear about where the rally point was and a failing on such a minor, early point wasn't a great sign that these civilians could listen to instructions, instructions designed to keep them alive. She also didn't have the time or patience for the Kazon version of Days of Our Lives that seemed to be rolling along under the surface -- what she did have time for was getting everyone on the lift so that they could rally with the rest of her team.
 
However, that didn't seem to be in the cards for her as the Kazon and their token Talaxian seemed to be in no hurry. "I see you have met my son, I trust he has not been too ungracious a host?"
 
"He's been a model of southern hospitality," she commented, taking some comfort in knowing that only her people would likely recognize the meaning of the statement or the sarcasm that she kept tightly reigned in. As desired, it did seem to go right over their heads.
 
"We are grateful for your assistance, Captain. What weapons we have are really only suitable for shooting the creatures that live around the planet below; we call them stonewings."
 
Her blue eyes briefly flitted to the box of "weapons". She was pretty certain that there were archaic gun powder relics on the ranch that would be more effective at killing than those pieces of metal but that didn't mean they couldn't be of use. The mention of the "stonewings", which she knew were likely a variant of their rockbirds, caused a wince as she remembered the Gettysburg being brutally attacked by rockbirds while under her command. It had been one of the more frustrating situations she'd found herself in.  However, it was also possible that the animals could be weaponized or, at least, utilized to their advantage.
 
"They'll dock there, but will sweep the station for anything else they can pilfer before they collect their supplies and leave."
 
Tyra wanted to wait to ask questions, having hoped that this conversation could occur with the whole team assembled so that she didn't need to repeat anything multiple times, but given their inability to follow instructions, Tyra knew she needed to take the opportunity she had to ask the needed questions, even if it meant repeating herself to death down the road.  Hopefully, whatever crisis Elias had fallen into had stabilized enough for them to get to the rally point.
 
"Robin, see if you can locate a PADD to download this schematic to. Nathan, evaluate their weapons and see if there's anything we can do with them besides bat hunting," she said, looking between her officers before focusing back on the Kazon. 
 
For a second, she realized she didn't actually know any of their names besides small context clues that might allow her an educated guess on one or two of them but that also seemed like a waste of time when she truly needed to get her teams together and on the same track. She hadn't even had a chance to update Elias on their new crisis and that was a problem. 
 
"I apologize for the slew of questions but I promise they're important to getting out of this in one piece," she said before continuing. "How many times have the Kazon come -- enough times to be familiar with the layout? Are they expecting y'all to be present when they return -- have y'all tried to oppose them previously? Have they come aboard the station before -- how many and how were they armed? How are you shielding the station from sensors -- is it a system that can be manipulated to suit our needs? Is there a tube system that lets you move between the decks without the lift? Can the lift be remotely controlled? The stonewings -- have they shown aggression to crafts coming in to dock previously? What do y'all have in the way of medical supplies? We have equipment that can be brought over but I need to know what's already here first because wasting time bringing things y'all already have will do us no good. In fact, wasting time at all will do us no good."
 
"And last but not least, are you all engineers? Or do y'all have other skills we can utilize?"
 
== GM Input: What do the nice Kazon say? ==

  • 0

#111 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1301 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22107.17 @ 13:59 (01:59 PM)

Tomaz and Antaan both stared blankly at Tyra as she rattled off her questions, the patriarchal identity of the Kazon warring with the knowledge that they needed this woman's help. Antaan's face remained a shade of puce, but Tomaz at least looked grateful that she was even considering their request for help.

 

"They come once every season to demand tribute for their clan, and return a month later to collect. Sometimes there have been a dozen, sometimes closer to forty. Always armed with rifles. The first time they came, we resisted, and they beat my wife. The second time, they shot her in front of the children... After that, they said they'd kill the children one by one if we didn't cooperate...I can't lose my children, Captain...."

 

The two younger Kazon stopped moving immediately, the female burying her face in the arms of her Talaxian husband. The male simply growled and went back to what he was doing. Tomaz paused to collect himself, so Antaan continued in his stead. It was obvious from his voice that he didn't like the situation, but he didn't have much of a choice if he wanted to live.

 

"We don't know why some sections of the station are more shielded than others, but we assume it has something to do with the ore refineries. Access tubes run throughout the station, we've mapped maybe half of them, and we've used them to hide the children in the past. The lift can be remotely locked from in here, but it cannot be controlled from anywhere other than the car itself."

 

By now Tomaz had composed himself, as had his daughter, who now approached the discussion to inject her own expertise.

 

"The Stonewings feed on exposed power systems, from my study it appears that they seem to thrive on plasma, but they have never shown any aggressive tendencies - they're a nuisance more than a danger. We are running low on anything but the most basic medical supplies; anything we do acquire, they take."

 

With Aeryn finished, Tomaz once again spoke.

 

"Aside from my daughter who is our doctor and scientist, we are all engineers, which is why we were left behind when our clan went to war against Sessen's forces and never returned. Emon is a decent shot, but he is reckless and does not think before he acts."


  • 0

#112 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.18 @ 02:19 (02:19 AM)

"He's been a model of southern hospitality," the Captain said in response to a question about the big Kazon's manners. 

 

Robin stifled a smile, making pains to keep her face carefully neutral, though the amusement certainly showed in her eyes. Raised on a colony of southerners, she recognized the full meaning of that sentence. 

 

I'm just waiting for her to say 'bless your heart.' 

 

"Robin, see if you can locate a PADD to download this schematic to. Nathan, evaluate their weapons and see if there's anything we can do with them besides bat hunting." 

 

The young nurse nodded and responded with "Yes, Captain. I have one, and I'll get on it." She reached into her custom kit and pulled out her well-worn PADD. She always kept one with her, preferring to use it to access library data rather than a tricorder. She was also a voracious reader, and her PADD was stuffed with novels, nonfiction, and even some medical works to keep her occupied during downtime. Stepping over to the console, she quickly downloaded the station's schematics onto her device and set herself to studying them, just in case it proved necessary to move quickly. 

 

In the meantime the Captain rapid-fired a series of questions to the station inhabitants. Thankfully the one called Tomaz was willing to cooperate, though his story chilled the young officer. She'd seen the results of causal Kazon brutality towards the Talaxians, but even their own people...

 

She mentally corrected herself. There wasn't one Kazon people. There were multiple clans, and some were more brutal than others. These 'Sessen loyalists' were the ones who had raided the station before, taking tribute and committing murder. They were probably the same Kazon who had attacked the Talaxians. These Kazon were just trying to live peaceful lives. 

 

So what are we supposed to do?

 

== Tag Tyra ==


  • 0

#113 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2536 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.18 @ 16:37 (04:37 PM)

As the Kazon answered her barrage of questions, the whole situation seemed to be focusing in on a clearer picture of the situation.  This had been an on-going problem with this particular clan that had resulted in the death of the younger brother's wife and children's mother.  While it didn't erase the frustration she felt at their hiding and the position it had put them in, it did place important context for their decision to hide and made it much easier to sympathize with. In their shoes, would she be willing to risk the lives of Evie and Carly for an unwinnable fight? Then again, what kind of life were you giving your children if they had to live in fear and hide in their own home?
 
Mentally, Tyra checked off important features as they were addressed. The station's sensor shielding was not an active system that could be turned on and off to assist with the defense of the station; they would need to determine what parts of the station were shielded and what parts weren't so that they knew where they could hide equipment and personnel when the time came.  The stonebirds weren't aggressive like the the AQ's rockbirds but maybe that was because they hadn't had the opportunity to attack a plasma source. There was a tube system, which likely confirmed how the little girl that Nathan and Robin had encountered had just disappeared and where the young man, Emon, had come from. However, it was only partially mapped, which might not matter but could be problematic if they needed to use it. The lift couldn't be controlled from the command center but it could be locked down, which might allow for them to control where the fighting occurred. 
 
Tyra felt the tiny hairs on the back of her neck stand up on end as her mind took hold of the lift information and ran with it. During the failed evacuation and ensuing defense of Outpost 10, they'd locked the lift down to keep the Romulans away from the occupied decks and the command center with great success. They had essentially mounted a roving guerrilla assault utilizing the outpost's tube system to ambush the Romulan forces as they moved. They'd managed to stall the initial invasion by launching neurozine canisters into the first wave, creating panic and room for movement for their teams. She wouldn't sugar coat it and say it had been anything but a knock down, drag out, bloody as Hell brawl but they had stood their ground against a much larger Romulan force. A similar tactic had worked to keep Romulan boarding parties at bay during the battle of SB 157 and it was likely they could borrow pieces of those experiences to help them there.
 
I'd just like to skip the dead captain part of that experience... she mused.
 
She nodded her head as Tomaz explained that they had limited medical supplies, which the Artemis could remedy now that they had more time. The fact that they were all engineers minus the daughter was a little inconvenient on the surface until Briggs reported that there was a shield generator and minuscule weaponry that would need to be repaired. It was also likely that the Kazon engineers could work with her own engineers to fashion some improvised weaponry in the form of trip lines and explosives that might assist them. She was certain her father wouldn't approve of such barbaric tactics but he also had always had the pleasure of viewing battles from the safety of his command chair. In contrast, Tyra had slogged through the worst that two different wars and one major conflict had had to offer, leaving her with the understanding that survival and subsequently victory, sometimes meant putting aside the nice, pristine image of honorable tactics. 
 
"I understand that you all are not soldiers and I am not asking you to be front-line combatants. I will not begrudge those that can't fight being concealed in the tubes but leading up to this fight, I need everyone working their asses off to give us the best possible chances of winning. We will bring supplies and personnel over to strengthen our odds. Likely that means y'all working with my engineers to get the shield generator online before they arrive. Once the fighting starts though, losing isn't an option and I need you all to understand that. I need you all to be willing to do what it takes to push them back. My people will literally fight to the death because capture is not in our cards," she said, her blue eyes moving over the assembled group. 
 
"Now, I need to go meet with the rest of my team and begin devising a plan forward," she glanced at Robin to confirm that they had a copy of the lay out before continuing, "I would appreciate it if you would accompany my team down so that your people have input," she said, looking at Tomaz before glancing at Antaan. While she would prefer for Tomaz to accompany her, she knew it was a real possibility that Antaan insisted on coming. He was the older brother and while he didn't seem enthusiastic about fighting, he also seemed like the one with the personality for conflict. 
 
"Briggs," she called over to her faithful CTO, "stay up here and I'll fill you in on the plan as it develops. You're my look-out. I need to know if that ship speeds up and if it becomes evident that they see the Artemis. In the meantime, see if you can figure out how long it'll take to repair that generator and the weaponry, along with what supplies we'll need to do so. I know that's not really your job but do your best."
 
She, then, glanced over at the angry young man that had been escorted in by Nathan and Robin. She could only imagine the swirling anger within the young man, wondering how a much younger, hotter headed version of her would have reacted and behaved had someone tried to take the ranch from her family. She would have gotten herself killed without the right coaching and influence, which was the fate she saw for this young man without the proper intervention. 
 
"Nathan, give the young man his weapon back," she said, nodding to Nathan before looking at Tomaz.
 
"If you'll allow, we can also take your son with us to the rally point. I think we can all agree that there will be no stopping him from fighting but maybe, we can give him a greater chance of being effective and surviving.... assuming he's willing to stick to the plan," she added the last with a pointed look at the young man before seeming to remember something. "Oh and your daughter is somewhere in the tube system right now. She made a brief appearance but it would be good to find her before  the approaching ship arrives."
 
She left that hanging in the air as she motioned for Robin and Nathan to move towards the lift, which had remained on scene. "Crawford to Elias. We're headed down to the runabout now," she reported as she waited for everyone to shuffle to where they needed to be. As she waited, she opened another channel up. "Crawford to Artemis. Can you have Gregg do a detailed scan of the station? Supposedly the sensor shielding does not cover the entire station due to it being caused by the refinery effort. We need a map of where the sensor shielding is on the station and where it isn't. Also, have you managed to shuffle Artemis into the shadows yet?"
 
== GM Input: Kazon responses, please. Also, does the elevator move and can we stop on the next floor to pick up Team Food Fight? ==

  • 0

#114 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 663 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.20 @ 21:26 (09:26 PM)

“…Nathan, evaluate their weapons and see if there's anything we can do with them besides bat hunting… give the young man his weapon back” Tyra had said amidst a slew of other orders and statements.

 

Drawing in a breath to counter the uncertainty in his chest, Nathan gave a slight nod in acknowledgement while hiding his feelings on the matter. There was an extensive amount of trust being extended to the gathered Kazon in that moment. He had no idea if they even knew it, but it was there regardless. Having someone armed, that close to Tyra, without any intervening bodies… Ramius just knew that he didn’t like it. However, orders were orders. If they were all going to play nice, someone was going to have to be the adult and extend an olive branch; and that was Crawford in their situation.

 

With a tiny, inaudible sigh, Ramius holstered his phaser pistol. Then, he carefully moved to the front and side of the Kazon before offering up the weapon back to him. There was no malice or resent in Nathan’s expressions or movements as he did so, though he did watch for the other man’s reaction to be rearmed. Then, Nathan had to shut off the part of his brain that wanted to go straight to imagining nightmare scenarios. With a respectful nod to the Kazon, Ramius reluctantly turned his back to him.

 

Leaving the Kazon who he had been detaining, Nathan gave nods to the other Kazon near the crate. He even managed to spare a small smile for them too. Though, as his eyes darted to the crate, he could tell even from a distance that that the stuff in the box was archaic. Some looked little better than museum pieces. Though, the security officer had seen more than his fair share of such items, many of which functioned just as well and as deadly as they day they had been produced. Even Tyra’s wall had, what many might describe as, antique weaponry that were still plenty lethal.

 

In fact, we’d probably stand a good chance of getting through this thing if the Artemis just beamed over the Captain’s personal armory, there was a slight smirk on Nathan’s face as the thought finished in his head.

 

However, what the crate held would little work on humanoids of even average size and weight. Multiple shots from some of the weapons might eventually do damage to the central nervous system, while others might not even stun a small rat. Others looked to be in complete disrepair and might just blow up in a hand.

 

Could always overload them and chuck them angrily at these Sessen-types.

 

“Hmmm,” he said to himself, shaking his head as he knelt next to the collection.

 

Turning back, he saw Tyra motioning for them to move toward the elevator. Nathan returned the glace with a grimace, picking up the crate as if to emphasize his expression. Without missing another beat, he headed to the lift and parked next to Mayfair.

 

“Second away mission, right?” he said to Robin, and then added a smirk as he continued, “Here is hoping you kept up on your phaser proficiency training.”

 

Then, he leaned down and in toward her a bit, whispering so only she could hear,

 

And, ah. Thank you for having my back, back there. In the corridor.

 

== tag Robin/Tyra ==


  • 0

#115 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1301 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22107.21 @ 00:09 (12:09 AM)

Tomaz simply nodded at Crawford's request to accompany her, and nodded for the now re-armed Emon to join them. Olin volunteered to go find the wayward Ayce, and disappeared into the corridor that Mayfair and Ramius had not long vacated.

 

Antaan remained silent and sour-faced, not trusting the strangers in his home enough to leave them unattended on its command deck.

 

The elevator, delayed by the arrival of the family, quickly took the passengers back down to the control room for the repair bay, where Elias and his compatriots, including the shackled Alken, awaited them.


  • 0

#116 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.21 @ 00:10 (12:10 AM)

Nathan moved up beside Robin, waiting for the lift and for the Kazon to get their acts together.  “Second away mission, right?” he said to Robin, and then added a smirk as he continued, “Here is hoping you kept up on your phaser proficiency training.”
 
Not nearly as much as I need to. 
 
Since the incident with the Kazon in sickbay she'd gone to the phaser range on the Artemis a grand total of twice, and one of those was interrupted by a medical matter that demanded her attention. She was a good enough shot, but she chalked that up to her motley Augment genes as much as anything. It certainly wasn't due to training. The nurse had never actually fired a phaser at a living being before, had never been under pressure in anything like a combat situation. She'd been thinking about asking Eli to run her through some training, but just hadn't gotten around to it. 
 
Definitely gonna fix that, assuming I survive the next few hours. 
 
Nathan leaned down to the short nurse and whispered “And, ah. Thank you for having my back, back there. In the corridor.”
 
She smiled sheepishly and whispered back, "No problem. I couldn't think of what else to do." She was just honestly happy the Kazon had decided to be reasonable. 
 
== Tag Nathan ==

  • 0

#117 Mid Edward Alken

Mid Edward Alken

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.22 @ 19:22 (07:22 PM)

[Team Hill]
 
The refusal of both Lieutenants had not taken the Midshipman by surprise. 
 
Edward Alken was standing shackled, his wrists bound in restraints. If he wasn’t physically uncomfortable, peering at him watchfully was Elias, who sought to make the man uncomfortable through intimidation. The engineer had not for a moment lowered his phaser, aiming at the man's torso as if he was some kind of threat.
 
The sensations in Edward’s bladder had dissipated. The urges to relieve himself settling as if for the moment he had been given respite from the need to relieve himself. 
 
Joining him in Operation Intimidation, McKenna had positioned herself in close proximity, almost atop of the man.  No doubt ready to intervene should the old botanist have attempted to scratch his nose. 
 
Urging him to behave, Ed briefly looked towards her before returning his attention to the Chief.
 
“Mr Elias. I’ll be discussing with Commander Gregg the lack of respect you’ve been showing to the science department's core responsibilities to poke, probe and ask the big questions.”
 
He held his bound hands in front of him.
 
“If I’d known you wanted another engineer on the team I’d have packed my spanner.”
 
The doors to the turbolift opened, revealing the second half of the away team.
 
“And I’ll be demanding an inquiry into this illegal detention... I have never been so ill treated in all my life...”
 
The words had escaped his mouth before New Ed had recognised the new arrivals.

  • 0

#118 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.23 @ 02:36 (02:36 AM)

==I guess we’re back in one group, now…==

 

Benjamin was getting pretty frustrated at this point. He did count his blessings that Mister Alken had decided that his bladder could hold, but considering the speed at which the elevator was moving – if you could even call what it was doing “speed” – they might all need to relieve themselves before it got here. Organizing latrine space on a space station was not something I thought I’d be doing when I got up this morning… I mean, yesterday morning, he thought as he stifled a yawn.

 

Through all of the excitement and ongoing issues, he’d almost forgotten that it was actually around two in the morning, ship’s time. For a moment, he regretted not bringing his coffee with him from the runabout, but he assumed Alken would have randomly decided to drink it if he had.

 

“Mr. Elias,” Alken said defiantly, “I’ll be discussing with Commander Gregg the lack of respect you’ve been showing to the science department’s core responsibilities to poke, probe and ask the big questions.” He held up his bound hands before adding, “If I’d known you wanted another engineer on the team I’d have packed my spanner.”

 

The doors to the elevator suddenly opened, and Benjamin was at first pleased to see the rest of the away team; he hoped that maybe he could turn this lunatic over to Captain Crawford and let her deal out appropriate discipline. Then, he was mortified as he saw people on the elevator who were decidedly not part of the away team.

 

So when he heard Alken open his mouth again, his first instinct was to punch him, though he managed to fight that instinct down. “And I’ll be demanding an inquiry into this illegal detention… I have never been so ill treated in all my life…”

 

You want a trial? he thought. Well, the judge, jury, and executioner just arrived, along with her entourage. “Alright,” he said aloud and holstered his phaser. “On the elevator, now.”

 

He stepped aboard himself, nodding at Nathan before standing next to the Captain. “Sorry, ma’am,” he said quietly. “He didn’t leave me much of a choice.” Knowing that now was neither the time nor place for an explanation, he left it at that. “I told Stelic to start working on setting up a hard line connection to the station from the runabout, in case we need to duplicate functions down there. Not sure how far he’s gotten, but it seemed like a good place to start from.”

 

==Tags==


  • 0

#119 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.23 @ 07:17 (07:17 AM)

== Team We're Back Together ==

Alken might not of been expecting either her or Ben refusing to do something about his about to burst bladder. But considering his antics and the trouble he had caused so far, she wasn't going to risk it and end up getting lost, trying to take him to a bathroom. He had to hold it and when the Captain told Ben that she was on her way down to the runabout. Eli could feel a knot forming in her neck at the prospect of getting to their destination after the others, especially when they should of already been there.

Then again they were at the mercy of the elevator even if Alken hadn't of caused another issue and as he looked at her. There was no guilt or remorse for what she had done or said. The words that spilled from his mouth as he focused on Ben were surprising as he tried to turn his behaviour against them. Clearly he didn't think that he had done anything wrong and the knot in her neck grew tighter even more so as the Middie continued.

His only saving grace was the arrival of the elevator, the doors opening to reveal the rest of the away team minus Briggs. However that didn't stop Alken from continuing as he demanded an inquiry and blabbed on about how unfairly he had been treated. That was bad enough to say such accusations but it was even worse given the presence of who she assumed was the station residents.

Part of her just wanted the ground to open up and swallow her yet Eli had reached an unnatural calm with the anger aimed at the Middie. Remaining silent for the moment as Ben told him to get on the elevator. Eli followed behind the meddlesome scientist, acknowledging those present with a polite nod. There wasn't much for her to say at least not until they got to the Zeus. Hoping that things would start to improve but then with the Kazon about to come knocking it was unlikely as Ben spoke to Tyra.

The prospect of watching over Alken also didn't appeal but that's what she did and for his sake, hoped he would keep his mouth shut and not cause any further embarrassment. Only time would tell as she waited for the lift to start moving.

== Tags ==
  • 0

#120 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1266 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.23 @ 15:10 (03:10 PM)

Tyra's comm badge chirped and a message came through from Ed.

[Commander Gregg to Captain Crawford. I’ve scanned the station and I’m sending the map of what is detectable. There are gaps which add up to a quarter of the station. Hopefully they’ll help.]

Any member of the Away Team who had a PADD in their packs got a copy of what could be mapped of the station.
  • 0

#121 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 663 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.23 @ 18:32 (06:32 PM)

"No problem. I couldn't think of what else to do."

 

“That was some solid improvising then,” Nathan responded with a slight chuckle back to Mayfair before straightening back up.

 

The ride down seemed shorter than the ride up to the Command Center had been. Whether that was because they were with their rugged hosts, or otherwise, Nathan couldn’t quite tell. The away mission so far had had a lot of ups and downs, though no more than the usual he supposed. Perhaps slightly less crazy than most he’d been apart of. Getting nearly vaporized from the waist up certainly ranked high on the ‘usual business’ of the away missions scale. That thought sort of jumped in and out of Ramius’ mind, perhaps too casually. It was quickly becoming commonplace for his life, or someone else’s, to be in jeopardy. And while that probably wasn’t healthy, it wasn’t something Nathan was going to concern himself with during an elevator ride on a soon-to-be sieged station.

 

When the elevator doors opened, Eliana was the first face he saw. So, naturally, Nathan gave a warm beam of a smile that reached up to his eyes. Then he saw Ben, who he also gave a smile to, mixed with a sort of knowing and respectful nod. Then, there was a shackled Alken who was talking back to the Chief Engineer. It was like a mountain stream flash flood wiping out a little wooden bridge, Nathan’s friendly expression disappeared in an instant; replaced with attentive concern and a heavily arched right brow.

 

“…be demanding an inquiry into this illegal detention... I have never been so ill treated in all my life...”

 

Without knowing any of the background, though categorically trusting that Ben and Eliana had done right in whatever situation they were faced with, Nathan still felt a bit of empathy for the shackled Alken. A series of thoughts went through Ramius’ head, the Gettysburg once more clawing its way back into his psyche for another round of ‘mental-torture-anguish-fun-time’.

 

What feels like the right choice in a moment, without due consideration, can be revealed as a completely ******* stupid choice later.

 

Nathan gave a sort of sympathetic look to the bound science officer, despite it likely looking odd and out of place as he held a crate of outdated weaponry. Then, a sudden urge griped him. Ramius tried to fight it, but it was almost impossible to stop. With some alacrity, his eyes darted to the side where Tyra stood, attempting to glean an initial reaction from her. The whites of Nathan’s eyes probably showed to the oncoming crew, but the young man couldn’t help but wonder what was going through the captain’s mind. He had a few guesses, and he waited to see the cues form on her face and body language. Though, finally, Nathan managed to wrest control of his eyeballs. Cranking them hard back to looking out the elevator, he made sure to make a little more room in the cramped confines of the lift car.

 

Answers to what the hell was going on, would have to wait.

 

== going down? ;) ==


Edited by Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}, Star Date 22107.23 @ 18:35 (06:35 PM).

  • 0

#122 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2536 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.24 @ 00:57 (12:57 AM)

Tyra had placed herself along the side of the elevator, allowing her a view of the door as well as most of its occupants. As much as Tyra wanted to say that she fully trusted their reluctant allies, she wasn't foolishness enough to blindly trust anyone. While the station residents' story was backed up by intelligence they had gathered regarding a schism within the regional Kazon, they were still Kazon and she wondered if, push came to shove, they would merely capitulate to the other Kazon sect out of habit or fear. However, there was no winning this battle without some level of trust and that was what she was trying to operate on.

It felt like some progress had been made when the elevator began to slow, seemingly indicating they were stopping at the next floor. However, what little satisfaction might have been gained from that progress was gone just as quickly as it grew. The doors yawned open rather suddenly and an indignant voice carried into the small space, a voice she recognized as their resident young scientist.

“And I’ll be demanding an inquiry into this illegal detention... I have never been so ill treated in all my life...”

Logic would dictate that Tyra's gaze should follow the indignant words to their rightful owner but her gaze fell on Elias first, noting the evident frustration and exasperation visible in his expression and body language. Frankly, those were the emotions she expected to see from a young department head, who, for the first time, had been left in charge of a diverse team of individuals. Those were the expressions of command and why anyone with any common sense should never agree to oversee or be responsible for personnel outside of their discipline. 

Her gaze, then, traveled to the person next to Elias. She made no attempt to hide the once over that she gave Alken, pausing briefly on the restraints before looking the young man squarely in the face. She didn't need to be a fly on the wall in whatever conversation had preceded the most recent comment to know exactly what type of detainee Alken was, whether rightfully detained or not. He was the type of detainee that was very vocal about knowing his rights, even as he actively displayed that he very much did not know his rights.  

With a growing desire to lay hands on someone, her gaze moved to McKenna, who rightfully looked like she wanted the ground to swallow her whole. If only that was actually an option as Tyra considered exactly how terrible this looked to the outside observers that were with them -- outside observers that they needed on their side.

The fact that she didn't know why she was witnessing yet another circus act performed by one of her monkeys made it even more difficult to sort through that feeling of coiling anger that was filling her gut. Had this been an entirely avoidable debacle caused by inexperienced leadership and equally inexperienced officers? Had this been caused by another scientist that entirely lacked common senses when it came to operations? Had this been caused by something else entirely? Had Alken lost it entirely?

For a moment, her lips had pursed into an expression that Nathan would know well.  It was the expression that proceeded a verbal lashing like none other, where she very skillfully used words to absolutely rip the other party to pieces. However, that expression gave way just as quickly to a teeth gritting that likely would result in a cracked tooth if she had any weaknesses in her enamel as she forced herself to swallow the the words, her face flushing slightly. As someone had once told her early in her career as a captain but she had only begun to understand after becoming a parent, crewmembers were like children and needed to be treated like children. She wouldn't have gotten on to Evie for anything without having an understanding of the situation and she would not correct Evie in anger, even if it required literally bite her tongue to keep the words inside. The metallic taste in her mouth was a testiment to the effort it was taking to keep from grabbing someone by the ear and jerking them close for an explanation. 

In light of all of that, Tyra did what she did best. She stuffed her true, raw emotions as far behind a veneer of sarcasm as she could, for everyone's sake. By the time Elias had prodded Alken inside, her anger, embarrassment and about five other emotions were hidden neatly away.

"Oh, bless your heart. It's always nice to see a midshipman become a lawyer after a block of instruction on military penal code. It just warms the heart," she commented, her tone light and airy as if she didn't want to hog tie Alken and see how long it would take for the stonebirds outside to take an interest in him.

Her hand waved to the three of them, her eyes briefly glinting in a way that suggested she was in anything but a pleasant mood despite her tone. "We will discuss this down stairs, not a word before then."

“Sorry, ma’am,” Elias said quietly, toeing the intent of her request. “He smartly continued on. “I told Stelic to start working on setting up a hard line connection to the station from the runabout, in case we need to duplicate functions down there. Not sure how far he’s gotten, but it seemed like a good place to start from.”

"Let's hope there's some good news..."

If the trip to down the the circus floor had felt expedited, the trip down the runabout felt like it was moving at the speed of molasses in wintertime. The slower the molasses crept, the tighter Tyra's fist clenched in a desperate attempt to keep herself in check despite being in such close quarters to the causes of her frustration.  It would have been so easy to release the pent up anger and so satisfying in the moment. However, what exactly did it get her and how did it help anything?

When the lift doors finally opened, she didn't even hesitate to take control of the situation as decisively as possible.  "Nathan, you and Robin escort Mr. Alken to the runabout. Robin, please perform a preliminary examination of the midshipman. Oh, and Nathan... send out De Fonto as well."

Now, she looked at the two Kazon with an apologetic expression. "If you'll excuse me for a moment, we'll get down to business promptly."

She didn't wait for either of them to answer before she was grabbing Elias and McKenna by the back of the arm in a great replication of her Granny's paralyzing grip and practically dragging them away from the elevator. She pulled them just far enough that they were out of earshot of everyone but close enough that they could keep an eye on their new Kazon friends. "Out with it, now."

== Tag! ==
  • 0

#123 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.24 @ 15:45 (03:45 PM)

==  Team Everyone ==

 

The ride down the cramped lift was tense. Robin found herself pushed up against the very Kazon she'd held at gunpoint only a few minutes before. The purple-haired nurse kept worrying that he was going to go for her phaser, but he made no such attempt. She could practically feel the hostility radiating from him, though. The thought that he could simply snap her like a twig wasn't a comforting one. She was relieved as the doors opened. The relief vanished like a soap bubble.

 

“And I’ll be demanding an inquiry into this illegal detention... I have never been so ill treated in all my life...”

 

It was the middle-aged Science Middie who had stayed with the first team. Aiken was in shackles, Eli looked exasperated and embarrassed, and Benjamin was stiff and gave off an air of annoyance that he was clearly trying to disguise. 

 

Tyra's tone of voice was pleasant, but the former farm girl recognized the venom in behind it, the tone she'd heard from numerous female relatives growing up. The Captain's next words confirmed it. "Oh, bless your heart."
 
And there it is. 
 
"It's always nice to see a midshipman become a lawyer after a block of instruction on military penal code. It just warms the heart," Tyra said with the same airy tone that made Robin involuntarily shiver despite the heat. 
 
No idea what he did, but if he's smart he will say NOTHING to make this worse. 
 
The Captain was clearly not wanting to discuss this in front of the Kazon. "We will discuss this down stairs, not a word before then," she said with finality. Benjamin reported briefly, and then the cramped lift became positively suffocating as the last team members piled in. It didn't help that the young nurse was smelling the accumulated sweat and odor of both the Star Fleet officers and the Kazon, crammed up against them all, aided by the stifling temperature of the station. She briefly thought she smelled vomit, something that normally didn't bother a trained nurse but given the circumstances just made things worse. By the time the grinding lift crawled to a halt she was feeling ill, and it took entirely too long for everyone to pile out. The young woman took grateful gulps of the hot air as she left the elevator. She felt her stomach begin to settle down with relief. 
 
 "Nathan, you and Robin escort Mr. Alken to the runabout," Tyra ordered. "Robin, please perform a preliminary examination of the midshipman. Oh, and Nathan... send out De Fonto as well."
 
Robin nodded at the Captain, but doubted she'd even seen the gesture as her attention was already elsewhere. She spoke briefly to the Kazon and then took both Elias and McKenna by the arms in the dreaded Southern Grandma Paralyzing Grip and took them away to have a private 'conversation' with them. 
 
At least she didn't grab them by the ears.
 
The runabout had never looked more inviting. Cool, comfortable air awaited, and she at last had something medical to do, even if it wasn't exactly routine. She looked at Nathan with a shrug. "Lead the way, Lieutenant." 
 
== Tag Nathan and Edward ==

  • 0

#124 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 663 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.24 @ 16:03 (04:03 PM)

"Oh, bless your heart…”

 

Oh ****.

 

Nathan’s eyes grew wider, especially after seeing Tyra’s lips purse together and then watching her practically grinding her molars into a fine dust. But the ‘bless your heart’? That was a wrought iron nail for the coffin. And yet, it wasn’t the end either. Listening to the Captain continue, even Ramius found himself gritting his teeth and wanting to gird his loins. He’d been where Alken was in that moment. A very real recollection was just a thought away for the now Junior Grade Lieutenant, though he smartly decided to avoid retreading that particular visit down memory lane. It was enough just to hear the tone, that almost sweet, unconcerned sound like everything was fine, that Tyra had worked to absolute perfection over the years.

 

"…We will discuss this down stairs, not a word before then."

 

Even Ramius, who wasn’t remotely close to being in trouble himself, straightened up like a spine board had attached itself to him. There were a few more words back and forth, a toeing of the line that skirted the order previously given. Though, in all reality, it wasn’t the words themselves that Nathan was paying attention to, so much as the tone and warmth – or lack thereof. It was shortly after, that Ramius was wishing for the very thing he thought he would never have to, or want to, wish for. Elevator music. It would have been perfect. Not just to give some ambiance to the heavy tension in the lift, but to add a little bit of levity for future remembrances. Instead, it was a long, long, ride.

 

Turbolifts. Technology of the future, today! We should give the Talaxians the specs, tech, and equipment to install turbolifts everywhere in the Delta Quadrant. That could be their speciality! Species from across the quadrant would come and ask to have Talaxian Turbolifts installed in their shady shifty stations, so that future Federation-types can avoid protracted, awkward, elevator rides with seething Commanding Officers!

 

The doors, blessedly, were just starting to open as the Captain broke the silence,

 

"Nathan, you and Robin escort Mr. Alken to the runabout. Robin, please perform a preliminary examination of the midshipman. Oh, and Nathan... send out De Fonto as well."

 

“Aye aye,” he said, before turning to address the Kazon while handing over the archaic weapons crate, “Pardon me.”

 

Nathan excused himself with the Kazon just before Tyra addressed them, adding an apologetic nod and slight grimace. Then Ramius turned Mayfair, who gave him a shrug and spoke,

 

“Lead the way, Lieutenant.”

 

Nodding back to Robin, Ramius then put a gentle, guiding hand on Alken’s shoulder to lead him out of the elevator to the runabout. He was, however, ready for resistance – and if it came to that, Nathan would get a lot more hands on. Though, he hoped he wouldn’t have to. Fireman carrying an otherwise healthy-looking officer was just undignified, but if it had to come to that, Ramius would do it regardless of their company.

 

“Just this way, Mr. Alken,” he said to the science officer, his words intoned with some sympathy for the situation the man found himself in.

 

As they neared the craft, De Fonto looked alert and well-aware of their approach; which was a good thing considering she was supposed to establish a perimeter. Ash’s face changed a great deal in a span of a few short seconds. First was the reaction to seeing Alken restrained, an almost knowing smile coming to her face. But then she recognized Nathan’s stern look, which made her swallow some concern. Then, as if by divination, a sullen acceptance of Ramius’ unspoken future order.

 

“Captain Crawford wants a word,” Nathan said on approach.

 

“Yes sir,” De Fonto sighed in response, uncurled from her previously stooped position, and starting heading over to the other gathering.

 

Ramius then tried to find a comfortable place to sit Midshipman Alken down at, so that Mayfair could begin her assessment. Considering what had transpired in the corridors, Nathan had no worries that Robin could handle herself with the science officer if he got rowdy. Though, he hoped that the older man would not try his luck any further.

 

“Do you need some water or anything? Alken, Mayfair?”

 

 

== tags to Mayfair and Alken! I’ve assumed Ed was coming with peaceably, but Nathan will carry him if he must ==


  • 0

#125 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.24 @ 20:51 (08:51 PM)

== Based on Robin's previous experiences, elevator music actually drives the Kazon berserk. ==


  • 0

#126 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.24 @ 21:49 (09:49 PM)

The elevator kept going down, slower than a sleeper ship to the next star over. Meanwhile, Benjamin’s stomach felt like it had descended to the ninth circle of Hell and started digging. The last time he’d felt like this, he was a headstrong young Ensign, wilting under Tyra’s gaze on the bridge of a stolen Klingon Bird of Prey as she laid into him and Nathan for being young idiots, even if it had all – mostly – worked out in the end.

 

Days when I feel like it’s the Pomn mission all over again, he thought, are not good days. He went back over his actions of the past few minutes and wondered what could have gone differently, but couldn’t come up with anything. With Alken’s self-evident lack of discipline, there just wasn’t much else he could’ve done besides what actually happened.

 

So when the elevator doors opened after an eternity that couldn’t have been more than half an actual eternity, he wasn’t surprised when the Captain immediately got everyone else performing some task or another – including sending off the Kazon – before turning to himself and Eli. What was surprising was the death grip she took on their arms as she dragged them off to whatever privacy she could find. If he didn’t have a bruise there later, he’d be surprised.

 

“Out with it,” Tyra said between gritted teeth. “Now.

 

Benjamin swallowed nervously, but knew better than to hold out any further. Time was of the essence, however, so he presented just a ‘highlight reel’ version, if it could be called that. “Right after the elevator left, we noticed a half-eaten, still warm meal. I signaled for security and I to sweep the room, while Stelic and Alken were to hang back; I didn’t know if there were hostiles around. Alken proceeds to rush forward and begin to eat the food instead.” Benjamin sighed, and tried to condense further. “I tasked De Fonto with keeping him at the console and ordered him to work on finding supplies. He instead throws the dish at De Fonto, which prompts her to stun him mostly by reflex. He vomits on her in reaction. I send De Fonto and Stelic back to the runabout so she can clean up.”

 

He decided to skip forward just a bit. “After your call that we had incoming, I was sending Eli and Alken back to the runabout – we’d heard a child in the service areas I was going to try and coax out – Alken decides to try and make a break for it, claiming he was trying some experiment. He stole Eli’s tricorder to do it, and placed his commbadge with it. This time I stun him and have Eli arrest him.” He retrieved Alken’s commbadge from the pocket where he had kept it earlier, holding it out for Tyra. “And that’s when you show up.”

 

He sighed, rubbing his free hand at his temple and into his hair. “I don’t know what got into him, ma’am. But with repeated disruptive behavior just in the past… I don’t even know how long it’s been, actually. But with all that he’s done, I believe he would be a potentially lethal distraction if we wind up in combat here.”

 

He was about to recommend an action, but stopped himself. She was the captain, not him. All he could do was report what had happened, and wait to see what she decided. Instead he looked over at Eli and De Fonto – who had arrived sometime while he was talking, while he was too preoccupied to notice – to see if they had anything to add.

 

==Tag Eli, De Fonto, and Tyra==


  • 0

#127 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.25 @ 08:47 (08:47 AM)

There was a certain melancholy as to how Eliana was currently feeling. On the one hand it was good to be reunited with the rest of the team and the warm beam of a smile that Nathan gave her amplified that. However there was also something else, the look from Tyra that could freeze the most confident of officers and a telltale sign that she wasn't amused after she had spoken to their troublesome Middie. Not that Eli blamed her and rightly so considering that Alken couldn't behave like an officer should. That didn't stop her insides from churning at the mention of them discussing this down stairs.

Eli couldn't quite shake the feeling that Alken had now gotten her and Matt into trouble and with every second that passed, just made her feel worse. She just couldn't fathom why it had gone so wrong until she decided to just tell her side and accept her fate. When the elevator finally came to a stop after what felt like a lifetime, a worry filled one at that. Eli found herself being grabbed by the Captain once she had issued orders to the others and made her apologies to the Kazon.

It certainly wasn't quite what she expected but resigned herself to the realisation that Tyra quite rightly wanted to get this over and done with, before they did anything else. Silently cursing Alken in the process of being shepherded to an out of the way spot whilst not disputing that the Captain had one hell of a grip. Eli was only vaguely aware of De Fonto being summoned along with them as Tyra spoke. Ben went first and Eli's focus never wavered throughout his explanation, where he covered everything and agreed with what was said.

When he then looked over at her and Ashley, Eli took the opportunity to add to what had been said. " What Ben said is correct Captain, all of it and he just completely disregarded and ignored me when I told him to stay close. Instead he just did what he wanted without thinking of the consequences and how he was jeopardising everyone's safety. I also don't know what possessed him to act like that and to cuff a fellow officer because of them not behaving as they should wasn't something I expected to do today. However he left us with no choice and I sincerely hope that Mr Alken takes ownership for what he did as opposed to blaming others as you saw when the lift arrived".

There she had said it and now it was Ashley's turn if she also wanted to add anything and wouldn't blame her for doing so. In fact it was only fair considering that she had been Alken's first victim. The sinking feeling remained for now and would likely stay there for a while as Eli contemplated what their fate would be.

== Tag Tyra, Ben & Ashley ==
  • 0

#128 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.25 @ 18:25 (06:25 PM)

== NRC - Petty Officer 3rd Class Ashley De Fonto, Security ==

 

Knowing Nathan’s expressions as well as she did, Ashley barely had to guess what was going to come out of his mouth as he approached. Especially with his trademark ‘stern’ look whenever he was passing along a command from a higher authority. It didn’t bother De Fonto all that much though. It just was who he was; a man who took his job especially seriously.

 

And with his record, he kinda has to.

 

De Fonto did spare a moment to grin at the inevitability that she saw coming from a mile away in the science middie. The smirk dissipated quickly though. It wouldn’t do to gloat. She didn’t actually want to see harm to come to anybody on the team, even if she felt it might be at least a little deserving. Out of everything though, Ash was happy to see that Mayfair had made it through just fine, no worse for wear. That was a win in De Fonto’s book.

 

“Yes sir,” she sighed, checking her posture, before hustling over to the gathering of the ‘pips’.

 

As she ran over, she heard Captain Crawford’s demand. It made Ashley gulp, and reminded her to be at her best when recalling the information. Finding a spot next to the Lieutenants, she stood at attention when she arrived in front of Crawford.

 

Chief Elias was already giving his version of the events. As Ashley followed along, she nodded at several points, confirming what was being said. Then, the usually bubbly Lieutenant McKenna added to the report. It was obvious that she was just as fed up with the events that had transpired, and it seemed like more had happened after Ashley had left. Which was, and should have been, a surprise to no one had they seen the brazenness of Alken’s actions. As Eliana finished, De Fonto could feel the yoke pass onto her.

 

“Skipper,” she started informally out of instinct, but quickly corrected herself, “Captain. I concur with the reports of the Chief and Lieutenant up until I left. I would like to put further emphasis on the fact that the room was not, and never was, fully cleared even up to the point where I left. There was always the possibility of a hostile presence, and any attempts to sweep the room were constantly and consistently foiled by Midshipman Alken’s actions. His demeanour was impetuous, and I feel was very real risk to us, had there been ill-intentions from one of our hosts or otherwise.”

 

With that said and done, De Fonto did prepare herself for a tongue-lashing though. An enlisted firing on a commissioned officer wasn’t something that should ever been done lightly.

 

“But I did, as Chief Elias pointed out, stun Midshipman Alken after he threw the dish and its contents at me.”

 

That’s my warrant signed…

 

 

== tags Tyra, Ben, and Eliana ==


Edited by Lt Damian Coleman, Star Date 22107.25 @ 18:28 (06:28 PM).

  • 0

#129 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2536 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.28 @ 22:16 (10:16 PM)

In a 20 plus year career as an officer, Tyra had witnessed and/or dealt with a lot of poor decisions, bad situations and just general idiocy. Some of them made for great drinking stories, like the young midshipman who had "accidentally" been handcuffed to his bed by his supposed girlfriend, who he somehow couldn't identify, and some had been just ridiculously stupid, like the brawl that had broken out in the Gettysburg's enlisted mess over the last piece of real bacon or the young engineer, who after a handful of training sessions, had felt he had the combat proficiency to take on a Klingon boarding party. Oddly enough, she couldn't even blame most of her stories on the marines as they, at least, had the good sense to relegate their stupidity to shore leave.
 
However, never in a million years did she ever expect to be informed that an officer, even a midshipman, had managed to screw up not once, not twice but three times in the span of, maybe, thirty minutes. There was no doubt that the midshipmen coming out of the Academy were seriously deficient in discipline, an understanding of the chain of command and numerous other items that were integral to their integration into a military vessel. As Tyra, Jenny and numerous others had noted, something had clearly changed in the curriculum at the Academy since the Krynar conflict and it very likely related to the kinder, gentler approach being embraced by the cadre. Coddling cadets created nothing but entitled officers that felt they were owed opportunities, explanations and medals for breathing. It certainly created more work for the chain of command in the field as they tried to undo the damage of four years in such an environment, assuming they even bothered to do that. 
 
However, while that might have explained much of the midshipmen problems over the years, Tyra didn't think that was what was at play here. Yes, Alken had disobeyed orders, at least in spirit, when throwing food at De Fonto instead of working as ordered and then, running from McKenna instead of returning to the runabout with some sense.  Those were troubling issues in and of themselves but then, there was the fact that he felt it was safe to eat an unknown food, located in an unsecured area. There was the fact that he had felt it appropriate to start a food fight with a security officer in an unsecured location. Then, there was the fact that he had felt removing his communicator and stealing another officer's tricorder was acceptable. In summary, Tyra was fairly certain that not only did her 3 year old have more common sense than Alken but she had a stronger survival instinct too. Alken was very lucky that his antics hadn't resulted in the injury or death of another party.
 
As Elias had spoken, Tyra's expression had been hard to read. There was a lot of blinking. Definitely some eyebrow arching, alternating with her eyebrows being pulled down tight over her eyes as she scowled at certain portions of the story. At the point where Elias had pulled Alken's communicator out of his pocket, Tyra's mouth had opened and hadn't closed for a good five seconds as she slowly reached out to take the metal object from the engineer. It was as if the whole incident could have been a bad joke if it weren't for that small piece of metal. 
 
“I don’t know what got into him, ma’am. But with repeated disruptive behavior just in the past… I don’t even know how long it’s been, actually. But with all that he’s done, I believe he would be a potentially lethal distraction if we wind up in combat here.”
 
Tyra's mouth opened and then, closed as she absolutely failed to come up with any words to describe her feelings on the topic. Fortunately, she was saved from needing to find words as McKenna chimed in to back up Elias' explanation. As if the **** pile wasn't deep enough, De Fonto, who had shown up early in Elias' explanation, offered additional details, which seemed to make the entire situation worse. There was nothing a security officer, former or present, liked less than an unsecured and uncleared area, particularly when something was preventing them from fixing that.
 
“But I did, as Chief Elias pointed out, stun Midshipman Alken after he threw the dish and its contents at me," the PO3 stated with a graveness that told Tyra, unlike Alken, De Fonto understood the seriousness of the situation and the issue with stunning another officer.
 
The redheaded captain let a long breath escape, not even bothering to muffle the noise. Her blue eyes, which had been on each speaker as they'd told their version of events, were now trained on a beam high on the wall behind them as she considered the **** show that had been dropped unexpectedly in her lap. 
 
"Yes, it sounds like a lot of trigger fingers got a work out with y'all and we will definitely need to discuss that. I will expect reports from each of you and you can all expect to be in my Ready Room as soon as we make it off this station in one piece."
 
Tyra paused to rub a hand over her face in clear exasperation. "This is not a distraction we need. We're already in deep **** without added stupidity," she said with a tone that sounded as exasperated as she looked.
 
"Okay... since you three were all there, you're my subject matter experts on Mr. Alken. Is he unhinged or is he just a freaking idiot of massive proportions? There is an important distinction in this case..."

  • 0

#130 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2536 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.28 @ 22:24 (10:24 PM)

== Addendum to the above post ==

 

As Tyra asked that question, her communicator beeped and Gregg's voice spilled forth with a small piece of good news. It would take her walking back to the runabout where her PADD was to actually see the map that Gregg had devised but just knowing it existed was a relief on some small level. It didn't fix this current mess but it did add an important piece to the puzzle she needed to focus on once this obstacle had been dealt with.

 

"Thank you, Commander. I think anything will be better than nothing at this point," she answered, though she had to wonder how Gregg had gotten around to answering her but Jenny had yet to. It was starting to make her wonder if Jenny was even on the bridge or if McKenzie had been covering for her.

 

However, that was an issue for Tyra to deal with after this current issue. 


  • 0

#131 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.29 @ 13:51 (01:51 PM)

== Going to assume Ed came peacefully as well ==

 

Nathan found a comfortable spot to sit the errant Midshipman down. Robin followed, obviously confused by what had prompted the whole set of circumstances. He asked if she or Alken needed a drink, but Robin shook her head. 

 

"I'm good for now, thanks." Turning to the prisoner, she asked "Do you need any?"

 

Regardless, she began her scan. Taking out her medical tricorder, she popped the probe off and ran it over the older Science Midshipman. 

 

Hmm, reading residual nadion radiation. Wait, what? 

 

The nurse's purple eyes narrowed in confusion as she keyed in for a more detailed scan and then widened at the results. There were two areas of radiation, very faint, although one was stronger than the other. Minor neural trauma consistent with being stunned. Indications of nausea and recent vomiting. 

 

He's been phasered. Twice. But that makes no sense. The Kazon don't even have phasers. 

 

She didn't want to accept what she was reading. Clearly he'd been stunned by other Star Fleet officers. More than once. 

 

But why? One more time and he might suffer serious neural trauma. 

 

The young nurse's inborn curiosity fought with her common sense. She desperately wanted to ask what had happened. The Middie was under arrest, and it was best that she say nothing about the circumstances and keep things professional. 

 

"How do you feel, Midshipman? Are you still nauseous? May I perform a basic neurological assessment to see if there are any lingering effects from the stunning?"

 

== Tag Ed and Nathan ==

== GM Input: Any other effects that show up on Robin's tricorder scan? ==


  • 0

#132 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22107.30 @ 22:57 (10:57 PM)

Benjamin was grateful when Eli and Ashley both spoke up to support his story to the captain, though he wasn't surprised in the least. They had all seen what Alken did, and they had all acted in concert. The only person who might have spoken up in Alken's defense was Alken himself. Even Stelic would have simply confirmed our record of events, he thought.

 

More alarming, however, was Tyra's expressions as the story went on. Her mouth worked, her eyebrows went up and down more often than the elevator did - though that wasn't exactly a good example - and her expression was so unreadably blank as to definitely be a sign of utter bewilderment. The length of her sigh after Ashley finished her addendum was directly proportional to how far her head fell back as she tried to process it all, and for a moment Benjamin wondered if she was going to fall over backwards. Luckily, she latched onto a beam overhead and attempted to bore holes in it with her laser eyes. He wasn't surprised when she noted that they would be revisiting all of this later, and simply nodded when she said she wanted reports - he tried to put out of his mind just how many reports he was going to have to fill out over this - because none of that was odd or unexpected.

 

She ran a hand over her face before continuing on. "This is not a distraction we need. We're already in deep **** without added stupidity," she said, her tone as frustrated as her appearance. "Okay... since you three were all there, you're my subject matter experts on Mr. Alken. Is he unhinged or is he just a freaking idiot of massive proportions? There is an important distinction in this case..."

 

That question, however, brought him up short. He had only met Alken immediately before the mission started, so he didn't consider himself an expert on the habits of a midshipman who didn't even report to him. But she was right - they had more exposure to him than she did, at least, and so she needed to know what they had seen. And what he'd seen, so far, was a grown man acting worse than a child. He didn't think that the man was insane, but he couldn't rule it out, either. And if they were heading into a situation like the captain seemed to be implying - he still wasn't sure what was actually going on, though he had his own suspicions - could they afford to be lenient?

 

If she'd just asked "What should I do with him" then I could have given a dozen different answers, he thought. They ranged from "shove him in a storage locker and throw the key away" to "shove him out an airlock", with many different stops in-between, some of which didn't even involve shoving him anywhere. But that wasn't the question she asked.

 

Benjamin sighed and rubbed the back of his head, his mouth crooking as he considered his answer. "Well," he finally started, "I'm not sure which he is - that'd need a medical exam to answer - but for now, I can't rule out that he's actually insane. And either way, if we've got a fight on our hands we've got to assume the worst to start with, don't we?" He knew that 'assume Alken is crazy until otherwise noted' didn't exactly make for the best advice, but it was what he had. "We can't afford to count on him for some critical piece of the plan, and then him not do it."

 

==Tags==


  • 0

#133 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22107.31 @ 10:34 (10:34 AM)

As Ashley added details to her own ill fated encounter with Alken, it felt as though the experience had united the three of them. Although this was something that they would likely want to forget as soon as possible. However until that happy moment could even start to happen, there was still the small matter of having their fate decided for them, as well as surviving the impending Kazon visit. For Eli surviving was important especially with who was waiting for her on the Artemis. Then again it all depended on how the Captain reacted to what had been said and which fate she would prefer and it was all thanks to a Middie who couldn't behave properly.

Eli didn't know where to look, what to think and for the moment just stood as still as possible. Believing that it would be the better thing to do until the agonising wait was over. When Tyra then spoke, Eli found that she could breath again. Nodding her understanding upon hearing that there would be a discussion, as well as a meeting in the ready room, as soon as they made it off the station.

It was a small reprieve given the situation and yet still serious enough to know that it wasn't over. Not that Eli expected it to be and as worrisome and equally nerve inducing as that would be, Tyra was right it wasn't a distraction that they needed right now. So she had to push it out of her mind, if she had any chance of salvaging her role here and hopefully be allowed to continue without any further stupidity.

The Captain's exasperation was also keenly felt as that's how Alken had also made her feel. Keeping that to herself, Eli then listened as Tyra continued and asked for their opinion on Allen's current mental state. Now this would be tricky to ascertain and answer as Eli had been willing to keep him locked up or use some other deterrent to keep him and everyone out of harms way.

Her gaze drifted towards Ben as he answered Tyra, agreeing with his assessment, in particularly the part of not being able to rely on the Middie. Knowing it would soon be her turn, Eli also had to be honest as she looked to the Captain. " Without a medical exam like Elias spoke about, we can't rule anything out when it comes to Alken. He just doesn't seem to grasp the concept of what not to do on a away mission. He has no obvious sense of caution or perception of danger and with what's about to happen, I agree that he would be a liability and a hindrance rather than someone we can effectively rely on".

She didn't like having to say such things about a fellow officer but he was too much of a risk unless he proved otherwise. Time was a luxury right now and they couldn't use it, trying to get Alken to cooperate with everything he had done so far.

== Tags ==
  • 0

#134 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.01 @ 01:24 (01:24 AM)

== NRC - Petty Officer 3rd Class Ashley De Fonto, Security ==

 

Standing next to the Chief and Lieutenant, Ashley did her best not to fidget as they spoke. They both started with a disclaimer about a medical exam, which sounded like the sort of ***-covering harboured responses she might expect from commissioned officers. Had Alken been enlisted, Ash knew for a fact he wouldn’t be spared the rod. In fact, he’d have already been hauled off and would be learning the intricacies of how a toothbrush was not a viable tool with which to clean Hanger Bay floors. Either that, or he’d get a chance to see the futility of peeling potatoes in the age of replicators; an apt punishment given his apparent love of botany and food.

 

Listening further, De Fonto considered Elias’ careful and wordy assessment. It was a bit more direct than she expected with the proviso from before, yet she felt it still fell short of giving an actual answer to Captain Crawford’s questions. He wasn’t wrong, and it sounded like he was leaning more towards caution, but the engineer seemed to avoid giving an avowal or denial.

 

McKenna, on the other hand, seemed to speak a little more pointedly toward the truth of the matter. Ashley particularly agreed with her discernment of Alken’s inability to see the potential dangers lurking, if he even cared about such things. De Fonto even nodded at the utterances of ‘liability’ and ‘hindrance’ as the Security Lieutenant finished giving her answer.

 

Shifting from one foot to another, Ashley wondered if the Captain wanted her opinion on the matter. Enlisted crew often had a great deal of experience in things, usually being specialists in their chosen realm. Ash happened to be a good pioneer, with a talent for getting things out of the way, usually by blowing them up. Or, building things to protect and move people. What she wasn’t was a specialist in psychology, behavioral analysis, or counseling. Though, in her time, she had seen plenty of all types of people and had a working knowledge on personalities. Those insights allowed Ash to collaborate with colleagues of similar mindsets, but also work with people she might not normally associate with, were it not a necessity as on a starship. As De Fonto considered it more, she realized it might be her duty to give her truthful feelings on the matter.

 

“Ma’am,” Ash started, trying to hide a twitch of her top lip, “he’s certifiable.”

 

De Fonto took another breath before continuing,

 

“Because, if he’s not, then that is worse in my opinion. Impulsivity, inattention to situations and surroundings, and a complete lack of care for his own and other’s wellbeing? Maybe that is great for work in a lab with safety protocols and forcefields, but while on mission with other people’s lives at stake? I don’t trust him to not put someone in danger, let alone protect someone.”


  • 0

#135 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1301 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22108.01 @ 02:23 (02:23 AM)

Some of Alken's nerve clusters were firing in an odd pattern as a result of two stun blasts at close range. Either one could have been fatal if it had hit the wrong part of his body, and he would likely need at least some neurological and nerve therapy to fully regain his entire range of fine motor skills.

 

Aside from that, there was nothing medically wrong with the Scientist. That didn't, however, rule out a mental issue which would require psychic evaluation back aboard the Artemis.


  • 0

#136 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2536 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.02 @ 22:53 (10:53 PM)

To be entirely honest, Tyra wasn't certain what she had hoped to accomplish with her question. None of the three standing before her were mental health experts, though some security officers had more experience than they'd like with such matters, and likely, none of the three had dealt with Alken prior to this operation either. In fact, she might have had more prior exposure to the man then the three due to his shifts on the bridge but that didn't mean she knew him or his disposition. Had his eagerness to be assigned to the away team been a warning sign? She didn't think so as most young officers craved that excitement but he also wasn't the traditional midshipman; age wise, Alken was far closer to her age than he was his fellow midshipman. He was likely even older than most of her department heads, which made this episode all the more puzzling.
 
There seemed to be a pause as the trio in front of her weighed the rather heavy question, likely understanding that this was the difference between Tyra throwing the young man through an airlock, into the brig or into an exam room for a shrink to deal with. And then, they forged forwards along the lines of seniority once again with Elias leading the charge, though with less conviction and surety than others.
 
"Well," he finally started, "I'm not sure which he is - that'd need a medical exam to answer - but for now, I can't rule out that he's actually insane. And either way, if we've got a fight on our hands we've got to assume the worst to start with, don't we?" There was a slight pause, maybe to allow the implication to set in. "We can't afford to count on him for some critical piece of the plan, and then him not do it."
 
She watched as McKenna seemed to look to Elias before beginning her own answer, which mirrored his closely.  " Without a medical exam like Elias spoke about, we can't rule anything out when it comes to Alken. He just doesn't seem to grasp the concept of what not to do on a away mission. He has no obvious sense of caution or perception of danger and with what's about to happen, I agree that he would be a liability and a hindrance rather than someone we can effectively rely on".
 
McKenna's words were more pointed than Elias, diving straight to the issue at hand instead of dancing around it. Tyra wondered if it was the mother in McKenna that recognized the behavior as that of a very young child, whose survival instincts just had not kicked in yet, because it certainly sounded like Alken was behaving more like a toddler who had not had an ounce of discipline instilled in him than like an officer in a military organization, science or not.
 
However, it was De Fonto whose words were the sharpest. If McKenna's words had been knifes, De Fonto's were daggers heated to the point that they glowed an angry, aggressive orange. 
 
“Ma’am,” De Fonto started, clearly exerted a great deal of control over her facial expressions, “he’s certifiable.”
 
The words hung for a moment as Tyra watched the enlisted security gather herself. In her shoes, Tyra wondered how she would be feeling because there was always an undercurrent of tension between enlisted and officers. With the right guiding hand, which she suspected Coleman possessed, that tension could be spun and twisted into a healthy rivalry built on mutual respect for the strengths of each side but incidents like this always showed whatever faint cracks existed in that foundation. After all, Alken was suppose to be the best of his field with the decision making and discipline to lead, whereas De Fonto was the subject matter expert whose abilities were considered an asset for one of those leaders to direct. However, how did that make the subject matter expert feel when the person supposedly more capable at leadership than them was a ******* moron? Not great, Tyra assumed, and she was fairly certain that was a piece of what she was witnessing.
 
“Because, if he’s not, then that is worse in my opinion. Impulsivity, inattention to situations and surroundings, and a complete lack of care for his own and other’s wellbeing? Maybe that is great for work in a lab with safety protocols and forcefields, but while on mission with other people’s lives at stake? I don’t trust him to not put someone in danger, let alone protect someone.”
 
If she had been in De Fonto's shoes, victim of food projectiles, vomit and just general disrespect, Tyra suspected a younger version of herself would have offered just as blunt and abrasive of an assessment. Although if she was honest, a younger version of her would have beaten Alken to a bloody pulp before stunning him. However, while De Fonto voiced her own concerns grown from her background as a security officer, she had to acknowledge that De Fonto was also likely the one in the trio to be most emotionally invested in Alken's outcome because she had been the one tasked with babysitting him and had been the object of his childish actions. sound
 
The challenge was that De Fonto's words weren't a deviation from her crewmates, despite having more force behind them. Elias had been the most careful in his selection of words but even he had labeled Alken as a likely liability. Hell, even McKenna, who was likely one of the nicest, most passive security officers she had ever met, hadn't sugar coated the fact that Alken was a liability based on his inability to make sound decisions. 
 
For a moment, she was standing in the middle of a battered corridor on the Gettysburg, her hand grasping Ramius' elbow like she could pulverize the bones with just the slightest increase in pressure. Nathan had been a liability that day, probably the biggest liability she had witnessed to date. She'd registered that not only was that young man on a path to do something so stupid that it would likely torpedo his career before he had a chance to get it off ground but he very well would get someone killed in the process. The difference was that Nathan had been fueled by an idealism that had radiated off of him, like he could be the one to right all of the world's problems just by trying, and Alken.... she didn't know what fueled him. Was it naivety born out of a false sense of security caused by the controlled environment of the Academy? Was it a sense of exploration taken to the point it overwhelmed his common sense? Was it just a general lack of common sense that she had observed before in the highly intelligent? Likely only Alken could reveal that piece of puzzle and frankly, she didn't think they had time for that particular conversation. What she knew was that one way or another, she had yet another midshipman to keep from driving the killing blow into their career or worse. Because if he stayed and he became a liability, she would do whatever it took to make sure he didn't take anyone with him, even if that meant her hands got a little dirty. 
 
Tyra let a rather deep sigh escape. She was angry that this was even an issue, that one of her officers disservice the uniform so badly that they were having this conversation. And she was angry that he had cared for his fellow officers so much that he hadn't even considered their safety but that assumed that Alken had been thinking at all. However, she understood that that anger needed to stay locked down deep or else, she would do something she regretted. As much as Alken likely deserved an airlock, he didn't deserve the status of martyr that would be bestowed on him with that fate. He deserved to be dealt with when death wasn't breathing down their neck and he could make an honest attempt at explaining his actions. 
 
"Thank you for your candor. It's appreciated," she said, her tone having shifted from exasperated to resigned.
 
"While I am dealing with this, Elias, they have a shield generator that needs to be repaired. If you can talk to our hosts, they likely can fill you in on what is possible -- they're both engineers so they may be of assistance. If that doesn't seem like a promising use of our time, begin considering improvised devices." 
 
Her blue eyes shifted to De Fonto and McKenna. "I need you two to begin two things. I need an evaluation of the station's potential for both offensive and defensive maneuvers. Identify the choke points and fatal funnels that we can use to our advantage, best locations for trip lines and improvised explosives, etc. For lack of a better word, this will be a guerrilla operation and we need to be creative. I also need an equipment list and a personnel count for how many people you think will be needed to hold the line here. Get as far as you can -- we need to make up for this distraction."
 
With those orders given, she nodded to the three before moving towards the runabout. Her steps were slow as if she thought the answer might come to her with a few seconds longer travel time but alas, that wasn't the case when she got to the back hatch of the shuttle. In fact, she still didn't entirely comprehend the story she had been told, which had been confirmed twice over; it was the height of lunacy and she had seen some insane things in her career. Hell, she had chased a child Q around an escort one time and yet, Suzie seemed fairly more understandable than this **** show.
 
"Do-- Nurse, can I speak to you for a moment?" she called through the hatch to where she could see Mayfair evaluating Alken.
 
She stepped back outside, planting her shoulder against the side of the runabout as she waited for Mayfair to step out. Once the nurse had arrived, Tyra didn't say anything for a moment or two, instead releasing yet another sigh. "What's his status? Any findings that might explain a sudden display of impaired judgement and impulsivity?"
 
Frankly, Tyra wasn't sure what she was hoping Mayfair would report. Maybe it would be easier if Alken had a tumor pressing on the prefrontal cortex or his hippocampus or if he had a sudden chemical imbalance caused by his stupid decision to eat something unknown in an unknown environment. Would it be better for the stress and excitement of his first away team to have caused a small lapse into mania? No, Tyra wasn't certain there was an easier or better answer, not in the short term at least. 
 
== Tag Mayfair, Elias, McKenna and De Fonto! ==

  • 0

#137 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.02 @ 23:41 (11:41 PM)

Robin had completed her scan of the errant Midshipman when she heard Captain Crawford call through the open Runabout hatch. ""Do-- Nurse, can I speak to you for a moment?"
 
Alken hadn't responded to her inquiries, so the nurse hadn't been able to do a more thorough assessment of neurological trauma. It wasn't strictly necessary, at least in the field, but Robin had always preferred to use her judgement about such things rather than rely solely on what medical instruments could tell. Still, the tricorder gave her enough data to work with. She rose, leaving the prisoner with Nathan, and stepped outside. Tyra was leaning against the hull.
 
Tyra said nothing for a moment, then gave a weary sigh. "What's his status? Any findings that might explain a sudden display of impaired judgement and impulsivity?"
 
The young nurse shook her head and frowned. She couldn't image the stress that Crawford was under right now. Having to waste time with this when there was a Kazon warship approaching had to be frustrating, to say the least. "Nothing that would cause any irrational behavior, Captain. Aside from neurological trauma from being stunned twice at close range he's fine. There's no sign of any biological issues that would cause impaired judgement or odd behavior. We can do a more thorough workup when we get back to the Artemis, of course" the newly-minted JG said, trying not to sound worried and doubtlessly not doing a good job of it.
 
If we get back to the Artemis.
 
"Stunning him again will likely result in serious, even permanent damage. If it's necessary to render him unconscious again I'd recommend sedating him." From her tone it was clear what Robin thought of the idea, but if the Captain ordered it she'd knock the Midshipman out without a moment's hesitation. The young augment was no fool... they were going to be up to their eyeballs in Kazon in a fairly short time, and the wounded Artemis was unlikely to be a match for the enemy warship. Everyone (that they could count on, at least) would be required, and they couldn't have the science officer doing anything that would get himself or anyone else killed. And they didn't have anyone to spare to guard him, either. 
 
"Too bad the Kazon didn't hit a cloaked mine on their way in, just to even the score up a little," she said with a half-smile, trying to mask her worry with humor. The universe was rarely fair, and the ship would just have to do what it could. Maybe if they were all lucky they could hide out until the Kazon left. 
 
== Tag Crawford ==

  • 0

#138 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.04 @ 02:59 (02:59 AM)

As Benjamin listened to his colleagues answer, he was glad to hear they agreed with him. Ashley was, as seemed to be her wont, incredibly blunt, but neither she nor Eli said anything he didn’t agree with. Unfortunately, it didn’t exactly make Tyra’s position any better for them to be in concert. In fact, if anything it made it even more terrible.

 

For a moment, he thought back to the last days on the Gettysburg, and listening to Nathan talk about his… situation with the captain. He still didn’t have most of the details, but knew there were more similarities here than anyone would like. What is it about midshipmen these days? he asked himself, and wondered not for the first time how Tyra didn’t resort to incredible violence to keep order in the ranks. The deep sigh she released seemed to show that she didn’t know the answer to that question, either.

 

“Thank you for your candor,” she finally said, a resigned note in her voice. “It’s appreciated.”

 

Fortunately, it seemed she was ready to move on to other issues, as she pivoted quickly. “While I am dealing with this, Elias, they have a shield generator that needs repaired.”

 

Oh thank God, he thought, ecstatic to be able to tackle a problem he at least felt qualified for. While his status as a department head did mean he was responsible for managing personnel and dealing with interdepartmental issues, he was still most comfortable with his head in a machine, poking at its innards with a couple of tools. Maybe I can get this done and at least feel better about myself.

 

Tyra had continued while he silently rejoiced. “If you can talk to our hosts, they likely can fill you in on what is possible – they’re both engineers so they may be of assistance. If that doesn’t seem like a promising use of our time, begin considering improvised devices.”

 

“Yes ma’am,” he told her, and tried to keep the smile off of his face as he turned away with what was likely unseemly haste. For a moment, an extremely hazy memory of his mother cropped up, and his delighted relief as he fled from her wrath one Sunday morning as it turned towards someone else. He shook his head, trying to clear it as he reminded himself that he was a Chief Engineer, and not a child who had just acted up in church.

 

His steps took him back to the runabout first, where he picked up his engineering kit and checked in with Stelic. The smirking Vulcan confirmed that he hadn’t been able to make much progress, but was still working on the hard line from the computer. “Keep at it,” he told him, but that was all he had time for.

 

Shortly thereafter, he walked up to the two Kazon where they had wandered off to. “Sorry to keep you waiting, gentlemen,” he told them, friendly smile back on his face. “I’m Lieutenant Benjamin Elias, the Chief Engineer for Artemis. I was told you have a generator problem?” He hefted the kit on his shoulder as he continued, “I’d be happy to take a look, and hopefully we can get it fixed quickly. Any ideas on what the actual problem is?”

 

==GM Input: are the Kazon knowledgeable and friendly? Can I take a look at the generator?==


  • 0

#139 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2536 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.04 @ 14:16 (02:16 PM)

"Nothing that would cause any irrational behavior, Captain. Aside from neurological trauma from being stunned twice at close range he's fine. There's no sign of any biological issues that would cause impaired judgement or odd behavior. We can do a more thorough workup when we get back to the Artemis, of course."
 
Tyra's lips had pulled up slightly in a grimace at Mayfair's commentary on Alken's stunning performance. While she didn't know what setting De Fonto and Elias had their phasers set at, she could assume that it was likely the 2nd or 3rd setting. At either of those settings, multiple stunnings had the potential to cause significant, if not permanent, damage. She remembered a story told at the Academy involving drunk security midshipman, who had in their drunken state thought stunning each other would be cute and learned the hard way that the stun setting was a little more potent than a stun gun. That old wive's tale had ended with one dead midshipman,  one medically discharged midshipman, and a handful of court martials and while Tyra believed it to be nothing more than a tale to put the fear of God into cadets, she didn't think the potential was exaggerated. 
 
Apparently, she wasn't wrong as Mayfair broached that particular issue. " Stunning him again will likely result in serious, even permanent damage. If it's necessary to render him unconscious again I'd recommend sedating him."
 
"I would hope that doesn't become necessary but I also can't believe we're having this issue," Tyra remarked with a candor and openness that likely displayed how caught off guard and exasperated she was. 
 
"Too bad the Kazon didn't hit a cloaked mine on their way in, just to even the score up a little," Mayfair added, in what Tyra assumed was an attempt to lighten the mood or cut the tension.
 
The attempt earned Mayfair a grin from Tyra, albeit a weaker one. "Fate's never been one for giving us fair odds and why would they ever start now?"
 
The redhead let her shoulder roll backwards so that her shoulder blades were pushing back against the runabout as she let her head fall back against it in thought. Alken's communicator was still in her hand, her fingers spinning it around her palm as she thought.
 
Being the captain of a military vessel involved more than just attempting to succeed at the tasks dropped into their lap by the powers that be. It was her job to make sure that her officers and enlisted personnel left her ship well rounded, better trained and better prepared than when they came to her, which required her to promote the correct officers into leadership positions, keep a close eye on internal issues and make sure the vessel ran smoothly. It was also her job to balance the good of the crew versus the good of the individual. For once, it felt like those two aspects were in sync with one another, both pointing to the same conclusion.
 
Alken was a liability to the team, very likely to do something that would, at minimum, get himself killed but more likely to get someone else killed because rarely did the deserving party receive Fate's punishment. Tyra did not doubt of that for even a second as she had seen far more reliable officers with good heads on their shoulders turn into liabilities with far less warning. However, he was also a liability to himself. If he was hit by another stun, whether Kazon in origin, friendly fire or purposeful friendly fire, he would likely be permanently fried or dead. He seemed to lack the common sense or understanding of lurking danger. In fact, Tyra was certain that the deer near her hometown that regularly darted into the road in fear had more preservation instincts than Alken and that was with them running headlong into headlights.
 
"They don't pay me enough for this ****," she finally said with a sigh as her head came up and she shifted off the wall slightly. "Thank you, Robin. I know you inventoried our medical supplies before we got off the runabout -- start making a list of what you might need from the Artemis. I'm going to try to get us a care package once I'm done this bull****."
 
She offered Robin a weak smile before she turned towards the entrance to the runabout. She nodded to Nathan as she stepped inside and then, motioned for him to stay put. Under the circumstances, it was likely best to have a witness present for this talk, though she intended it to be a rather one sided talk.
 
"Mister Alken, I'm sorry that we're having to speak under these circumstances and I'm afraid we don't have time to properly sort this matter out. I'm not sure if you've been made aware but we'll be defending this station from Kazon imminently and quite frankly, I don't have time to be overseeing this level of nonsense. I understand that you likely want to explain your behavior up to this point and you will get a chance to... assuming we survive this. I look forward to hearing your side of this situation and I expect you'll have a phenomenal explanation for why you've decided to role play as a toddler for this outing," Tyra stated, her tone absolutely dry on the last sentence.
 
"In the meantime, I cannot in good conscience leave you in a position where you can get yourself or a teammate killed.  You will be returning to the Artemis, where you will be detained until I return to the ship to speak with you or Commander Braggins deals with you in my absence. I understand that you likely feel this isn't fair and you are entitled to your own opinion, even if it's wrong. The fact of the matter is that all actions have consequences, which is something you should take the time to consider between now and when we talk next."
 
Based on Tyra's body language, it was clear that the conversation was over. That perception was further cemented as Tyra shifted closer, Alken's communicator in hand. In one swift move, she pinned the communicator back to the man's chest before quickly plucking the solitary pip off his collar, letting the pip roll around in her palm for a moment. "You can get this back when you convince me that you shouldn't be sent back to the Academy for re-training."
 
She gave Nathan a look as she stepped back, her lips pressed together and her expression just generally unhappy. "Don't let him out of your sight until he's out of here," she ordered as she turned to exit the runabout. "He's already tried to make a break for it once..." she commented over her shoulder as she reached the ramp down. 
 
Her feet had no sooner hit the deck before she was tapping her communicator again, hoping to actually get an answer from someone other than Gregg this time.
 
"Crawford to Artemis. Do you still have transporter locks on the away team? I need an immediately beam up for Midshipman Alken. I need a security officer to be waiting in the transporter room for him -- he is to be detained until his actions can be reviewed by either myself or Commander Braggins. He likely needs a medical evaluation and after that, I leave where he is housed in Coleman's capable hands. If Coleman needs to know what he did, tell him to contact me," she requested, her tone having shifted to that hard edge that usually signaled that she was done putting up with nonsense.
 
"And any luck scrounging up a care package or reinforcements for us? We're probably significantly more combat capable without Alken but we're still going to be outnumbered mightily."

  • 0

#140 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.04 @ 15:01 (03:01 PM)

Ashley's assessment of Alken's current mental state wasn't far off what her and Ben had said. In fact it was completely justifiable and the enlisted officer didn't hold back either. That was something else that they shared and ultimately none of them wanted to be responsible for the Middie anymore, not unless they had a death wish. Casting that thought aside as Tyra let out a deep sigh and Eli braced herself for how the Captain would respond to the damming comments that had been made.

Recognising the shift from exasperated to resigned as she thanked them for their candor and how she had appreciated it. However now was the time to move on when Tyra then issued orders to the three of them whilst she dealt with Alken. Eli didn't envy that in the slightest as Ben acknowledged his orders and moved off to speak with the Kazon in regards to the shield generator. For her and Ashley, it was all go with the two things that the Captain wanted them to do.

Understanding that they might not be able to do everything but the Captain believed in them and it was the opportunity to make up for lost time. Plus they didn't have to worry about Alken getting in the way as she acknowledged the order. " Understood Captain" she replied simply before Tyra left.

Turning to Ashley, there was one thing Eli needed before they got started and that was her PR - 1A because she wasn't going to leave that behind. " Let me grab my rifle and then we'll get moving" she said to the Petty Officer. Not wasting any time, she made her way to the Zeus, keeping out of the way as took the weapon out of the secure locker. Feeling whole now that she had it in her grasp once more as she left the runabout. Eli had caught the end of the Captain's comm to the Artemis, but she had a job to do.

Returning to Ashley, Eli then secured her weapon and spoke to her companion. " Ready, let's move out".

== Tag Ashley ==
  • 0

#141 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1816 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.06 @ 00:23 (12:23 AM)

[Braggins to Crawford, we're bringing Alken and Mayfair back now. When they're aboard I've got a crate of toys for you, and I'll send Sydesh with the Security team - Jas is dealing with something right now. I'll send Ed along to help with the station sensors if you need him?]

 
There was a brief pause.
 
[The Kazon ship has increased speed, once the supplies and reinforcements are beamed over we'll activate the sensor cloak and do our best to pretend we're not really here.]

  • 0

#142 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 663 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.07 @ 14:46 (02:46 PM)

While Robin declined his offer for water, Alken said nothing. It was possible that the science officer didn’t hear him, but Nathan considered it more likely that he was being silent on purpose. It caused Ramius to shrug, and he grabbed a canteen full of water for himself to drink while Mayfair did her initial assessment. Returning to the pair, he took a couple of swigs before attaching the container to his belt. It wasn’t long thereafter that Tyra approached. Ramius gave her a silent nod, as she pulled Robin away for a chat.

 

“If you need anything, just let me know,” Nathan said to Alken in a calm, respectful voice.

 

There were memories that waited at the floodgates, wanting to wash over his conscious thoughts, but he kept them at bay. It wouldn’t do to get lost in all the old remembrances when he was supposed to be watching a detainee. Plus, as much as his past informed his present self, it didn’t rule him either. Nathan had done a great deal of growing since the Gettysburg, and he knew it wasn’t fair to himself to let that loom over him until time eternal. If anything, it had made him better. Ramius had held plenty of preconceived notions about how the universe worked after leaving the Academy, and many of those preconceptions were shattered following that first mission. The trip to Bishtavrath and the Pioneer Assessments made sure of that. There was still a piece of the old Ramius left behind though. But what had been raw material crudely formed was soon forged and pressed into something stronger, more resilient, than it had been before.

 

Whatever Robin and Tyra discussed had been short though, as the auburn-haired CO returned to speak with the Midshipman. It was crystal clear how Captain Crawford felt about the situation, just in the body language alone. Adding tone and facial expressions, Nathan felt as though he was standing in the Ready Room all over again. Though this time it wasn’t for him, and yet, he couldn’t feel grateful about that; it was never good to see any situation devolve to the point of Tyra having to give ‘the talk’.

 

“…I understand that you likely feel this isn't fair and you are entitled to your own opinion, even if it's wrong…”

 

Nathan gritted his teeth, mouth staying closed to hide the reaction. However, both his eyebrows jumped up too. And by the time that his expression reset, Tyra yanked the pip from Alken’s collar, causing his brows to do another dance in the air. When his eyes met hers, Nathan easily read her general disposition.

 

"Don't let him out of your sight until he's out of here. He's already tried to make a break for it once.”

 

“Aye aye,” Nathan replied, before setting a heavy hand on Alken’s shoulder, ready to physically restrain the man should the need arise.

 

“Midshipman Alken, you are under arrest and are hereby confined by order of Captain Tyra Crawford of the United Space Ship Artemis. I am obligated to continue your confinement until you are remanded into custody, and I will do so with physical force should it be required.”

 

And I hope that you don’t make me do it…


  • 0

#143 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.07 @ 21:35 (09:35 PM)

== NRC - Petty Officer 3rd Class Ashley De Fonto, Security ==

 

"Thank you for your candor. It's appreciated.”

 

Ashley had expected that Captain Crawford would be mad, fuming, whistling from the ears like a boiled kettle. The last notion brought to mind cartoon imagery, and De Fonto could almost imagine Tyra’s face turning as red as her own hair, or the shade of her uniform. Plenty of other animated scenarios quickly passed by Ash’s thoughts, but none of them even remotely reflected the reality. Tyra wasn’t angry, not even close by Ashley’s estimation.

 

She just looks… tired, De Fonto thought to herself, suddenly feeling bad for the skipper.

 

Though, if Captain Crawford was tired, she didn’t show it beyond the tone of her voice. Immediately she delved into a plan of action for the people still willing and capable of helping. Chief Elias got his marching orders to look at the shield generators. It had Ashley wondering if the Kazon warship would fire upon the Repair Station if it came to blows. Though, she didn’t ultimately have much time to think about it, as Tyra turned her gaze to the security contingent beside her. Their task was to figure out the stations offensive and defensive capabilities, personnel numbers to even hold the station, and a list of various kill-zones that would make great spots for big booms and ambushes. The latter was what Ash wanted to focus on, being her speciality. However, it wasn’t up to her on what she would work with, that was up to the Lieutenant.

 

“Yes ma’am,” Ashley replied to the Captain, then waited for McKenna to dish the work.

 

“Let me grab my rifle and then we'll get moving."

 

Nodding, De Fonto followed the TL to the runabout, keeping up with her step for step.

 

" Ready, let's move out.”

 

“Yes ma’am,” she said again, finally feeling like they were going to be accomplishing something instead of what they had been doing previously.

 

“Where did you want to start first? I’ve got combat engineer experience, so I mostly deal with defensive fortifications, explosives work, those sorts of things. But I don’t know if we should split up. At least not until reinforcements arrive. Your call ell-tee”

 

Whatever the answer that McKenna would give, Ash was ready to follow whatever plan and path she had in mind.

 

== tag McKenna! Feel free to direct Ash as you will. She’ll assist Eliana directly, or go off and do separate work if you’d like ==


  • 0

#144 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.08 @ 10:10 (10:10 AM)

== Team Valkyrie ==

With Ashley acknowledging the order to move out, Eliana was very much in Team Leader mode. Her mind was a hive of activity as she sorted through what the Captain had requested, filing them accordingly in order to form a plan of action. Something that was shared by De Fonto as the enlisted officer then asked where they should start first. Appreciating the question as Ashley continued and spoke of the area in which she had the most experience. That was definitely going to be very useful against the Kazon. Although understood her uncertainty regarding whether they should split up or not, especially until they received reinforcements.

She was right about it being Eli's call but the TL wasn't afraid to listen to opinions and ideas from others, before making a decision. Thinking everything over, Eli knew that they needed to locate the advantage points and spots for offensive and defensive maneuvers first, before they could work out what was needed in terms of extra equipment and personnel.

" I agree, I don't think we should split up just yet and your experience will definitely be valuable for what we're about to do" Eli began as she started to move away from the others.

" Let's start by scouting for the best spots and locations for offensive and defensive maneuvers, placing surprises for the Kazon, that kind of thing. Then we can make a list of what we have, what we can improvise and what we need".

== Tag Ashley ==
  • 0

#145 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1301 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22108.12 @ 23:28 (11:28 PM)

==Many apologies Mr Elias! I totally missed your input!==

 

The Kazon nodded and beckoned Elias back to the lift, following him into it and giving the panel a solid kick when the door squeaked to a halt when only half way closed. Percussive maintenance being super effective, the door slammed the rest of the way shut and the lift descended into the bowels of the station. The journey was not long, about half the time it had taken to travel from their initial ingress point to the repair bay, and when they stepped out Elias found himself on a large web of gangways not unlike those on the Megasphere.

 

Beneath them was the generator housing, easily the size of the Voltaire, it was a massive and ancient thing - centuries old, at the very least. One of the Kazon offered Elias a harness and webbing, and began to prepare a line which he affixed to a mounting point on the gantry's railing.

 

"Easiest way to get to the generator is to rope down, otherwise it's a two deck climb from below."


  • 0

#146 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 663 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.14 @ 02:57 (02:57 AM)

There was some movement outside of the Runabout, though Nathan only registered the sounds specifically. For the time being, he was being very cautious about having custody of the Midshipman; especially at the command of Tyra. Without knowing any of the backstory to what happened, there was no way Nathan could know just what Alken had done, or what he was capable of. That meant he had to be ready for anything, at least until the Artemis was ready for them.

 

Time seemed to flow by slowly. There was plenty of conversations going on, but with most of it hushed or at a distance, Ramius was unsure exactly what was going on. There was obviously something that had pushed Tyra past the point of dealing with certain things in the moment. Which was odd, as she so often was willing to at least battle some things out. Nathan could only conclude that time probably wasn’t on their side despite what had transpired in the Repair Station’s command center.

 

Didn't we have a stretch to get ready?

 

“I’ve sort of been in your shoes before,” Nathan said to Ed without considering his words.

 

“And… for lack of a better description, it sucks. There is usually a chance to bounce back though, even from doing really, really, stupid things. When we all get back to the ship, I can offer to check on you if you end up getting confined further.”

 

Nathan had no idea if he was helping to reassure Alken or not. Or if it was even what the man wanted to hear at that time. But Ramius had felt compelled to at least extend a branch out, to someone who appeared as though they needed it. It seemed only right after the multiple outs he had been given by Tyra. And paying that forward was something that had to be done, or so Nathan felt. It was also a part of growing from where he had been too. So many experiences had stacked on top of each other since that dark mess of a mission, and it would be a waste not to offer at least perspective to someone else. Though that is where he drew the line, as Nathan couldn’t guarantee he could actually give good advice to someone. All he could do was provide a glimpse of what could be a path to some sort of redemption, some small recovery from the lowest of the lows, with heaps of bumps in that path too. Thinking back to the Rogue Planet, it still made Nathan shake his head.

 

“Anyway, the offer is there.”

 

[Transporter Room Three to Ramius. We have two away team members that are to be beamed aboard in your vicinity. Are Mayfair and Alken ready for transport?]

 

Nathan tapped his badge,

 

“Looks like. Are they heading to Sickbay? Is a Security escort there to receive them?”

 

[Yes sir. A site-to-site will take them to a quarantine bed. Two security officers will welcome them back aboard.]

 

“One moment,” he said, before doing one final check with the two to be beamed up. Satisfied that all was in order, he responded back to the Transporter Chief.

 

“Energize when ready Chief.”

 

[Energizing…]

 

And with that, Mayfair and Alken swirled away back to the Artemis.

 

There was a heavy sigh that escaped him just then, and a bit of tension left over compelled Nathan to crack his neck. Then he steadied himself with a couple of deep breaths before heading out of the Orion and toward Tyra. He didn’t have to go far to find her, but he reported in just the same.

 

“Mayfair and Alken were just beamed back to the ship. Sounds like they arranged a security welcome committee to meet them in a quarantined Sickbay room,” there wasn’t much emotion to Nathan’s report, and it was given rather matter-of-factly. Whatever he had felt about the situation, it had vanished when the pair beamed back to the ship.

 

“Ready for your orders ma’am. I take it we have a fight on our hands?”

 

 

== tag Tyra ==


  • 0

#147 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.14 @ 03:06 (03:06 AM)

Benjamin took a few moments to remind himself that he should be diplomatic as he stared out into the abyss, the rope the Kazon was handing him dangling nearby. Most of that reminding was in the form of firmly clenching his jaw while a dozen curses of varying intensity and culture danced around his head, instead of letting them escape into the wild. He grabbed the rope blindly, a few more moments passing before he could wrench his eyes away and back to the rope and webbing in his hands.

 

For a moment, he considered just telling the man to forget it; they had an enemy ship bearing down on them after all, and there was no guarantee he could get the generator working in time anyway. What is it with these Delta Quadrant places and having non-functional generators, anyway? he wondered, remembering the exciting times with the Talaxian's asteroid base and how he hadn't really been able to help them, either. But he still had a few hours, given the last report, and for all he knew it would be a simple fix. He just couldn't tell that from up here; he had to get down to the generator itself.

 

Besides, if all else fails I could always turn it into a bomb.

 

He set down his engineering kit and donned the webbing and harness. It had been a long time since his last experience rappelling, but the basics were still there. He was sure that the Kazon would have a good laugh at his expense later, but he didn't do any more than let out a sharp wumph! as he made his way down, engineering kit clutched in one hand. All of his screaming was internal. He was in the middle of disengaging himself from the harness when the first of the Kazon made it down beside him.

 

The size of the thing was even more incredible from where he stood on level with it than it had been from above. Easily the size of a small starship in and of itself, the generator looked incredibly ancient. Either this thing can produce enough power to run a couple of solar systems, he thought, or I'll be able to replace it with a portable fusion unit the size of my engineering kit. That always seemed to be the way that this kind of stuff went, from reading other mission logs. A brief moment of deja vu ran over him as he remembered turning the Voltaire, which was roughly the same size, into a battery after she was damaged during the Battle of the Megasphere, but he dismissed it quickly and forced himself to look down and around.

 

"So," he said as he searched, "is there a console, or..." He stopped as his eyes lit on the main console of the device, just off to the side. "Well, ask and you shall receive, right?" he said to no one in particular. He walked over to it, being careful on the gantry. It was a narrow path between watching where he was going and not looking down into the bowels of the station, but he somehow managed to do it, and arrived at the console.

 

He pulled out his tricorder and interfaced it with the device so he could have its translator matrix provide him readable text, and then began to go through the diagnostics to see just what it was that was wrong, or at least find out where to start.

 

==GM Input: Can I help? Or is it just busted? Unfortunately, I'm fresh out of Voltaires to turn into batteries for this one...==


  • 0

#148 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.14 @ 03:23 (03:23 AM)

== Team Valkryie ==

=== NRC - Petty Officer 3rd Class Ashley De Fonto, Security ===

 

" I agree, I don't think we should split up just yet and your experience will definitely be valuable for what we're about to do,” McKenna said.

 

Ashley nodded and followed as Eli started moving away from the rest of the party. She listened carefully to what McKenna had to say, and agreed in her head as Eliana spoke about scouting things out. There was just so much that they didn’t know about the station yet: layout, defenses, hiding spots, choke points, kill zones, safe rooms. Normally it would have been a breeze to get that info with just a scan from the ship. But that didn’t seem forthcoming, if it was even possible.

 

“Making some trip wire would be pretty easy,” Ash spoke up.

 

“All I need are some explosives. Even photon grenades would work, as we could use the small proximity detectors with those. Though there are much better booms that could do the job too though. Just depends how much boom you want,” De Fonto let out the smallest of chuckles, before checking herself; she didn’t want to sound like an ekrixiphile, which she wasn’t… or didn’t think she was.

 

“As you know, best spots are usually confined spaces where we are sure the Kazon are going to be moving through. Corridors, elevator shafts.... though if we know where they are likely to board, we could booby-trap a whole room if it came down to it. Or even just a big enough bomb to take care of an entire room.”

 

Keeping pace with McKenna, Ash pulled out her tricorder to start keeping track of spots that they might encounter. Now, De Fonto started to concentrate. And she knew that the circumstances of focused preparation or exertion, was when she did some of her best work. It was like diving into a fast-moving stream, where a lot of work got done, even if it didn’t feel like much time had passed.

 

Time to get to work...

 

 

== tag McKenna. You have permission to use De Fonto as needed ==


  • 0

#149 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.14 @ 09:38 (09:38 AM)

== Team Valkyrie ==

" That's a definite that we can add to the list" Eli replied thoughtfully as Ash spoke up about making trip wire. Whilst primitive to some, it was a useful tool and would give them something else to use against the Kazon. As the PO continued, Eli listened and grinned, especially at the comment made about how big a boom she wanted. This was another reason why she was glad that Ash accompanied them and that she was working with her on defending the station.

"Explosives we can get, as I imagine they'll be amongst the supplies coming over from the Arty. Although again we can get creative if needed and as for a big boom, I'm all for doing what's necessary to distract and slow down the Kazon".

This was a time for action and putting her recently honed skills into play as Eli wasn't about to repeat what had happened on the Asteroid. The Team Leader wasn't stupid either in assuming that they could cover the whole station or check out every possible opportunity for defense and attack in the time they had left.

Although Ash did make an excellent point, that would enable them to narrow their search down for the best spots. Luckily they already knew where the elevator was and a couple of other areas that the crew had been in. So those would be straightforward enough to defend and leave some surprises for the Kazon. However if they could find where the Kazon would likely board it would certainly help with planning the possible routes that they would take.

" I like that way of thinking Ash, if we could find where they are likely to board whilst looking for the best spots, it would make a big difference with our planning" Eli said, taking out her own tricorder as Ash kept pace with her. It was worth taking a chance, since they were already on the move and hopefully luck would be on their side.

== Understood :-), also GM input please, what are the results of the scans? and is Eli able to pinpoint where the Kazon are likely to board? ==
  • 0

#150 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.15 @ 18:10 (06:10 PM)

<< Transporter Rooms <<

 

Coleman wasn’t completely sure what he was expecting, but he was glad to see that his people were already making preparations before he arrived. He managed to catch a glimpse of McKenna with De Fonto in tow, and was happy to see it. Though, it also reminded him that time was of the essence. His brows almost came together as he formulated next moves.

 

“Prassn,” Damian called over his shoulder, and was promptly greeted by the SR Team Leader’s presence.

 

“Sir?”

 

“You and Reyva are on protection duty.”

 

Sir?” the confusion was palpable in Praasn’s voice, which nearly made Damian chuckling.

 

Turning about, he faced the Lieutenant Junior Grade to address him.

 

“Reyva and you are to stick to Captain Crawford like glue. You two are going to be personally responsible for her safety. Just try not to make it as obvious as Ramius does, okay?”

 

Praasn’s normally stoic face turned into a glower, but nodded his head anyway. With that taken care of, it freed Coleman up to figure things out, and potentially lead a team of his own if needed. Breaking through the semi-circle of heavily armed officers, Coleman then approached Crawford.

 

Seeing the subject of his previous discussion already next to Tyra, it made Damian grin a bit while he shook his head chuckling.

 

At least he takes protection duties seriously.

 

Ramius had just finished reporting back in to Crawford as Coleman closed the distance. Slinging his rifle, Damian took an easy stance as he spoke,

 

“Captain. Ess-arr-tee two is on the ground with us, and we’ve got a few more that’ll be beaming down shortly…”

 

Coleman then gave a quick summation of everything he asked Ziggy to coordinate for equipment to beam down to the station. Things like the neurozine, explosives, and tactical gear. The kind of stuff that gave Tyra options on how she wanted to fight. He didn’t know specifics about what the situation was on the ground, so he had readied a smorgasbord of equipment. As he finished, Damian then added,

 

“I’ve got my logistics officer ready to send down anything else that we might need too, if my assortment of goodies doesn’t cut it,” Damian grinned.

 

== tag Tyra ==


  • 0

#151 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2536 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.16 @ 23:50 (11:50 PM)

[Braggins to Crawford, we're bringing Alken and Mayfair back now. When they're aboard I've got a crate of toys for you, and I'll send Sydesh with the Security team - Jas is dealing with something right now. I'll send Ed along to help with the station sensors if you need him?]
 
Tyra's head had bobbed as Jenny spoke, though her lips drew into a slight grimace when her first officer indicated that the doctor with actual combat experience was occupied elsewhere. Admittedly, she had no intention of allowing the team's medical support to be in a combat role but it would have been nice to know that, if things went absolutely to **** --and they likely would --, there was one more individual who had been knee deep in battle before. Hell, she was pretty confident that Jasmine could likely oversee a combat operation better than she could but alas, she'd take what she could get. She could only hope that Sydesh didn't let bravado and over confidence earn her a round or two in the ensuing chaos. 
 
"Yes, send Ed. I need someone that won't get so excited by the battle roar that they forget what they're actually doing," she answered.
 
For all of her struggles with Gregg and sending/not sending probes at the worst time, she knew that Gregg had combat experience. Hell, he'd been fairly unshakable on the Rogue Planet. And while, in the event of her injury or death, she had no intention to leave command of the operation to anyone other than Coleman, she trusted Gregg to stay focused on the task given to him and to not be rattled or distracted by the Hell raining down around them. Everyone had their strengths and not all of them needed to involve putting hot rounds between people's eyes. 
 
[The Kazon ship has increased speed, once the supplies and reinforcements are beamed over we'll activate the sensor cloak and do our best to pretend we're not really here.]
 
Her lips pulled back into a very evident, aggressive grimace at that news. Realistically, they needed all the time they could get to prepare but like usual, Fate would only be so accommodating to their needs. They would just need to prioritize what they could do and what they needed to do. It was still do-able, it had to be.
 
"Artemis' safety is the priority. If you need to get out of Dodge, do it. I trust your judgement. Good luck and godspeed, Jenny," she said, her tone a mix of warmth and resolve.
 
With that done, Tyra shifted further along the runabout, planting her shoulder blades against the cold metal of the craft. She hadn't heard the unmistakable whine of the transporter yet, which meant neither Alken and Mayfair had beamed out nor had the reinforcements and their equipment come in. This was probably the last moment of peace she would have for quite some time, if not ever. And she took advantage of it by making a quick call home, speaking briefly to Thomas and then, Evie. It had been obvious that Thomas had recognized the tone of her voice but he hadn't wasted time asking for an update. Instead, they'd spoken quietly as if there wasn't a looming cloud on the horizon and she'd capped the conversation off by reciting Evie's favorite rhyme to her. 
 
By the time Nathan had found her, the channel was closed and while her head was leaning back against the vessel, she was back in business. She had gotten a better update from the command center about the location and speed of the Kazon, marking that they had approximately an hour until kickoff. It wasn't much time but it was better than nothing. They wouldn't be able to turn the repair station into a fortress but they'd be able to assert some control over the environment.
 
“Mayfair and Alken were just beamed back to the ship. Sounds like they arranged a security welcome committee to meet them in a quarantined Sickbay room,” Nathan reported, to which Tyra nodded.
 
“Ready for your orders ma’am. I take it we have a fight on our hands?”
 
Tyra pulled herself from her leaning position and nodded her head. "Yep. We do," it was said with all the weariness of someone who had long ago stopped wishing for such occurrences. "Reinforcements are on the way but we need to be smart about what we're doing with the time we have."
 
"Gather all the pattern enhancers. I also need a count of how many tricorders we have within the original team and then, how many were brought with the reinforcements that are incoming," she said, even as she unhooked her own tricorder and handed it to him. "Once we have a count, we'll know whether they'll be useful or not."
 
"Speak of the Devil..." she commented as she saw Coleman come around the side of the runabout, signaling that the Calvary, or at least part of it, had arrived.
 
“Captain. Ess-arr-tee two is on the ground with us, and we’ve got a few more that’ll be beaming down shortly…”
 
Tyra nodded, knowing that SRT was the best option they had. It was a shame that command hadn't agreed to her argument that exploring an unknown region of space lightyears upon lightyears away from back-up was the perfect reasoning for placing an RRT aboard one of the Pathfinder vessels, likely Artemis. She had no doubt that their old RRT could have easily taken down half the Kazon on their own but alas, Star Fleet was once again a short sighted mess, even if she herself wouldn't have imagined this exact scenario.
 
“I’ve got my logistics officer ready to send down anything else that we might need too, if my assortment of goodies doesn’t cut it,” Damian grinned.
 
She returned his grin, even if it lacked some of its sparkle. "Only until Jenny activates the sensor cloak. Why don't you tell me--actually, hold on," she said, holding her hand up to emphasize her request.
 
"Crawford to Elias. Can you join Coleman and I by the runabout ASAP?"
 
"Alright, while we're waiting for him, why don't you tell me what we've got to work with?"
 
== Tag! ==

  • 0

#152 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 452 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.17 @ 15:29 (03:29 PM)

>> Transporter Room >>
 
As the blue glow of the transporter faded, Beka took a second to get her bearings. She still wasn’t entirely used to instant travel and it always disorientated her. Luckily it tended to pass quickly. 
 
The first thing that struck her was that the station seemed almost uncomfortably warm. As she laid down the oversized case of medical equipment, the redhead wasn’t entirely sure whether that was the temperature in the air or the flak vest she had to wear, but either way she was glad of her rolled-up sleeves. And the second was that she had arrived on the edge of a pretty large group of Star Fleet personnel. If her hunch was right and they were about to fight, there were certainly enough Security officers around to do it.
 
Well, so far so good. No angry Kazon, unless I count those 2 over there by that elevator. And they don’t look angry, more like people that have had to deal with the Captain and been thoroughly Tyra’d. Sydesh smiled to herself at the thought. So far all the doctor’s interactions with her fellow redhead had been reasonably positive and she was yet to see what happened if someone pushed their luck too far. Still, enough stories had reached even the Ensign’s ears that she knew it was very much in her interest to keep it that way.
 
Luckily I have a few cards up my sleeve for that one.
 
Beka was carrying two cases. The first, with a huge red cross across the white plastic and full of her medical gear, she had laid down near the wall out of the way. The other one, which was smaller but not by much, she propped up on the first case and opened gently. She’d filled it with hot coffee in sealed disposable cups and bottles of isotonic drink, along with handfuls of ration bars of various flavours. 
 
Locking the case open, she picked it up and carried it one-handed like a waitress in a restaurant and made a bee-line for the spot where Crawford, Coleman and Ramius had gathered. 
 
“Sorry to interrupt,” Sydesh said as the Captain finished speaking. “But I brought over some fuel for the team to keep you all going, as it’s been a while already and we could be here a good while longer. I have hot coffee, cold isotonic and bars in too many different flavours. First dibs to the boss, Captain? Nath… Lieutenant?”
 
The doctor held out the open case. There was a sparkle in her green eyes that said for now, she was trying to be nice and pretending this was optional. 
 
== Tags both! ==

  • 1

#153 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1266 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.19 @ 13:31 (01:31 PM)

<< Transporter Room <<

 

Coming back together again felt normal enough. The station interior felt warmer than the standard temperature he was used to on the Artemis. He wondered what temperatures the Kazon preferred. The selected area seemed to be near a docking port.  He wasn’t sure if it was a welcome party, but it was somewhere between reassuring and concerning.

 

Tyra and Coleman were there, but there were also two Kazon. From the looks of them they were the current residents of the station and quite in need of what help the crew could provide. The situation felt oddly familiar, but it didn’t help. Hopefully Security had all the hardware they’d need.

 

Definitely Seven Samurai. A Bug’s Life would be a better outcome.

 

Sydesh approached the Captain and Coleman with one of the cases she’d brought opened. Drinks and ration bars, quite the air hostess, but she probably wouldn’t appreciate the comparison. Considering the atmosphere in the station it was necessary to be properly hydrated and fortified. Depending on how the siege held out hopefully they’d have enough supplies. Also there was the matter of what tactics the Kazon would employ.

 

Ed wondered if he needed to gear up since he’d be playing lookout. He’d be better off overprepared than underprepared. Had to be able to hold his own if things didn’t turn out as expected. He could ask Coleman about equipment once whatever had been going on came to its conclusion.


  • 1

#154 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.20 @ 01:54 (01:54 AM)

Coleman didn’t waste a second after Tyra had given him the all clear to dish on the goodies he had figured to have sent down. The neurozine and gas-masks would give them a good tactical advantage against the unprepared Kazon, either for offense or defense. The extra grenades would be good too, especially if they could get the enemy to bunch up. Though it was the explosives that could be rigged as traps that might get the most bang for their buck. There were extra weapons being sent over too, mostly to cover the ‘friendly’ Kazon who called the station their home, plus anyone who wasn’t already armed, plus anyone who wanted a spare. Finally, the tricorders were an extra step to help track enemy movements. There were already proximity sensors that could be attached to the grenades and explosives for that kind of combat. But making sure where they enemy was at would help them in deciding when it was a good time to make a push, or if they instead needed to beat a tactical withdrawal.

 

“…and that about covers it. Petty Officer Zh’kol is working with Morgan too, so if there is something else that you want down here, she can make it happen fast.”

 

As if on cue, some of the crates of goodies started to arrive, beaming in with a bright luminescence that that only the cargo transporters did. Or, so Damian thought.

 

“Ah, that’ll be some of the stuff.”

 

While the inanimate extras arrived, the extras of the animate kind followed closely on heel. Hulk and Thorsdottir were in the initial beam down, as well as Sydesh and Gregg. The latter Damian was a little surprised by, given his initial hesitance that Coleman had noted on the Bridge. He didn’t blame the man though. Being in security, it was expected to go up against dangerous odds. Science though? Their dangerous odds were usually in the experiments they conducted, if at all. Though knowing some of Gregg’s background, Damian was sure the man was no stranger to a fight.

 

Especially if he is coming to me to clear phaser tommy guns…

 

Sydesh approached, carrying a bevy of beverages and refreshments. There was a slight smirk that pulled along his lips, but he didn’t say a word otherwise. He did note her use of Ramius’ first name, or a portion thereof. Though there wasn’t an officer or crewman who wasn’t aware of their history, short though it was. Coleman knew the medical officer's offer wasn't directed at him, as he was fresh off the ship. Instead, he turned to Gregg and Cage behind him.

 

"Cage. Gear has been sent down. Assist Commander Gregg in getting geared up."

 

== tag Tyra et al. Also tag to Gregg, feel free to have Specialist Cage assist in getting body armor on and the like ==


  • 0

#155 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.20 @ 04:04 (04:04 AM)

==10 years ago, Aboard the Aces Wild, on the Allanis-Volchok run==

 

[Elias, get your *** up here!] Captain Emsford’s voice boomed over the intercom. Ben banged his head against the top of the Jefferies tube he was working in at the sudden noise and backed out slowly, abandoning his tools at the open panel.

 

When he could finally right himself, he rubbed the back of his head gingerly as he hit the commpanel on the wall nearby. “Be right there,” he replied, and made sure to cut the channel before he finished, “you moron. Ow.” He didn’t actually have anything against the captain, but the curse helped distract from his head. Besides, he really has to learn to not shout over that thing. Ben had a theory that Emsford used to work on a smaller ship that didn’t actually have a ship’s comm, and so he shouted to compensate for that.

 

Not that it mattered either way. Ben just sighed, grabbed the spare engineering kit he kept by the door for situations like this, and headed up a deck to the bridge. “What’s the matter?” he asked as soon as the turbolift opened.

 

“What’s the matter?” Emsford said, grumpy as always. He waved at the secondary navigation console as if that explained everything. “That’s the matter.”

 

Shelly rolled her eyes, her hair waving gently as she shook her head. “You know that Benny can’t read minds, right?” she said, smiling up at him. He wasn’t sure why, but the security woman always seemed to take his side in these things; he was grateful for it, even if it was a bit odd.

 

“It’s alright,” he said in order to stave off the rest of the argument. He needed to get back to the tubes and finish the calibrations he was working on quickly; he didn’t have time to waste on petty bickering, so he just walked to the console instead. “Looks like you were in the middle of some course plots?” he asked.

 

“Yeah,” the captain said with a deep sigh, “trying to plan next week’s run. Unfortunately, it’s rather difficult to do that when the console locks up.”

 

Ben had tried several of the commands and already come to the same conclusion. “Yeah, I can see that,” he agreed. “I told you that we need to replace some of these ODN relays,” he reminded the boss. “Half of them were old when I was in grade school; the other half are older than that.”

 

“Bah,” Emsford said with a wave of his hand and turned back to the captain’s seat, setting a wide, calloused hand on the back of it. “You know we can’t afford that.”

 

“Can you afford a new ship?” Ben asked as he got around to the back of the console. “Because that’s your other choice.” He pulled off the panel and got to the EPS tap, disengaging it from the unit and hearing a satisfying ‘clunk’ as the device powered down. He also heard Emsford let out a deep, rumbling growl from his substantial gut, but the captain had likely already resigned himself to losing whatever he’d been working on.

 

“I know, I know,” the captain said, shooting Shelly a look as she laughed at him. “And don’t you start,” he told her. She – wisely – lifted her hands in surrender and turned back to the console, a wide smile breaking her tanned face.

 

Ben plugged the device back in and got up, watching the thing reconnect to the central computer and get back to its base state. “Alright,” he said as he turned back to the captain, “it should be good for now. But seriously, if we don’t get some spares soon, I’m gonna have to get extremely creative next time something breaks.”

 

“That’s what I pay you for,” he said. Ben just shook his head and turned and walked back to the turbolift. Oddly, it felt like someone was watching him as he walked, but when he turned around to face the doors, both the captain and Shelly were engrossed in their consoles. He frowned as the doors closed, and wondered if the security woman had been that red before…

 

==Present day, Kazon-Talaxian repair station, Delta Quadrant==

 

I’m going to shoot this console, Benjamin thought as he watched the diagnostics program make agonizing, painfully slow progress towards completion. He had thought that the speed – or absolute lack thereof – of the computers in the repair bay office had been a fluke. Evidently, it was endemic to the entire station.

 

He wondered briefly if unplugging the thing and plugging it back in might shock the system enough to give him what he needed, but severely doubted it would. Besides, working with alien equipment like this meant that there was always the chance that it would just fail completely. Who knows how long this ancient equipment has been operating without being power cycled, he thought. If it turned off, there was no guarantee it’d come back.

 

A rhythmic tapping reached his ears, a quick staccato tap-tap-tap on a metal grate, and it took him a moment to realize it was his own foot on the gantry. Benjamin took a deep breath and willed himself to stillness. Maybe it was the incident with Alken, or the short debrief from the captain that had gotten him on edge. Or maybe it’s the incoming Kazon that are going to attack us, he thought. That could be it, too.

 

Before he could think on it more, his commbadge chimed. [Crawford to Elias,] the captain said. [Can you join Coleman and I by the runabout ASAP?] He swiftly tapped his badge and gave an affirmative before looking at the console. It ticked up another percentage point as he watched, and he let a small string of curses float through his head before grabbing his tricorder from where it rested on the console.

 

He input a small string of commands, making the interface it currently had with the console a two-way affair and linking it with his commbadge. Assuming that he stayed within range of it, he should be able to double the display onto a padd anywhere, allowing him to still receive the diagnostic results. He wasn’t sure he’d be able to input any commands, but he could at least get the data.

 

That complete, he turned to the Kazon. “Let me guess: the fastest way out is…” When he pointed back at the ropes, Benjamin just sighed. “Yep. I figured.”

 

Three minutes later, a winded Benjamin hauled the rope up with his engineering kit, slung it back on his shoulder, and got in the elevator, which deposited him back at the runabout much swifter than it had taken him to the repair bay office initially. Or, at least that’s what it seemed like; he wasn’t actually sure.

 

As he came up to the captain, he saw Beka there with a tray of refreshments. All he heard was “coffee” and that was enough for him, as he grabbed a cup, opened the lid, and took a big mouthful unceremoniously before anyone else had a chance to grab anything. He swallowed and sighed, resettling the kit on his shoulder as he turned to Tyra.

 

“You wanted to see me, Captain?” he asked.

 

==Tags!==


  • 0

#156 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1266 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.20 @ 12:13 (12:13 PM)

As Ed waited to speak with Coleman the Lieutenant was a step ahead of him. Coleman said to Cage about getting geared up. Ed hadn’t realised that Cage had materialised as step behind him. He tried to not grin too much. As the pair started on the nearest crate Lieutenant Elias arrived.

 

Ed thought Ben was smarter than to grab a coffee before the Captain. Tyra had a reputation and anyone daft enough to get between her and a mug of coffee wasn’t long for this world. With all that was occurring and whatever had caused Alken to be returned she might be in an even more tenuous mood than usual.  

 

“Miss Cage, we might want to move this crate over a bit before we get blood on us.”

 

If Ben was really fortunate Tyra might only make use of a few choice words. It really was getting hard to keep good Engineers these days. He’d added insult to injury by enquiring about what the Captain had requested his presence for. If he survived with anything less than flesh wounds it would certain be a learning experience.

 

 

== tag. ==


  • 0

#157 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1266 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.21 @ 11:32 (11:32 AM)

Ed’s sense of humour was not everyone’s cup of lukewarm synthehol and they were usually jokes that only he got. Or sometimes related to a memory of something that only the most tenuous of links to the current situation. Cage didn’t even seem to crack. Maybe he was more off-key than usual.

Tough crowd.

“Nevermind.”

Ed started picking out the easy stuff. Two type-2 phasers with associated holsters, a tricorder (no surprise), and a PADD (just in case). He pondered the one basic toolkit in the crate, but Ben was here so he didn’t need to concern himself with Engineering issues and the technology in the station was probably beyond his limited repertoire of Engineering experience.

The bit that was stumping him was exactly the bit that Coleman had asked Cage to assist him with. For Ed the puzzle was how the armour adapted to body type. Some had to be custom or at least in a fair range of sizes. Brid’s colleague was a good example and he was larger than Ed, but in Hulk’s case it was muscle mass.

== tag ==
  • 0

#158 LCdr Mathew Briggs

LCdr Mathew Briggs

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 660 posts
  • Discord:9772
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.23 @ 01:18 (01:18 AM)

== still on the command center ==

 

A few hours till they’re here and nothing to show us.  No weapons.  Generators down. Artemis can’t help. Is this it?  Is this our last stand?  Ugh…  Get busy Mathew.  If anything, we can give’em hell. 

 

With the command center emptying, Mathew was left with a lot of quiet – way too much quiet.  He heard every little noise now, so started to fill his head with anything he could to make up for the missing people’s voices, which ended up various songs he liked to listen to while working out.

 

I can do anything when I choose. Got everything but I got nothing to lose. Go anywhere from heaven to hell. I might find the devil; you can never tell.

There's a thousand hills and valleys. A million dams and streams. An ocean of eternity. Between my hopes and dreams.

Never say die, iron eagle. Nothing's forever, now or ever. Never say die, iron eagle. Never look back, never say die.

 

Guitar solo!!

 

Mathew’s hands went to playing the air guitar momentarily until finally, he realized what he was doing.  His head swiveled around, looking to make sure no one saw. 

 

Get a grip Mathew.  There’s **** to do to get ready.  …still not sure I understand their motivation though.  If they know this station is in bad shape…and they can obviously see we’re not a threat… There’s always something to motivate. Do they really want to kill?  Buck always said to study your enemy. 

 

Study your enemy. 

 

Mathew sat still and thought back to reading on the Artemis about the Kazon, about the tactics they typically employed.  It was difficult as the more still he got, the more anxious he became. He didn’t know what they captain, and others were doing.  He felt responsible for them, especially the captain. He new she could handle her own, but he also knew she would go first, too. And that’s what worried him. 

 

But Coleman won’t let that happen, right?  The captain did ask if I wanted to stay or go… maybe I could meet where they are? I don’t know what else I can do here. I’d need to be in engineering, wouldn’t I?  …and maybe I can get an extra phaser or something. I’m not so sure one will be enough. 

 

He continued to track the incoming ships and then decided to leave, if the captain agreed, that is.

 

“Briggs to Crawford,” he began after tapping his badge. “Captain, I’ve done what I can, but seems like all I got here is tracking the incoming ships. Mind if I join your… welcoming party?”

 

He kept the channel open, hoping the captain would concur.

 

== GM Input: how much longer before they arrive? ==


  • 0

#159 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2536 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.23 @ 02:53 (02:53 AM)

Nathan had scurried off to find the pattern enhancers and the tricorders, leaving Tyra and Coleman to quietly speak about the gear and personnel they had as the foundation of their defense. Tyra had shifted a few more feet down the bulkhead away from the docking port to provide them with some privacy as new arrivals began shifting equipment in and out of the runabout. She had nodded as Coleman laid out the equipment checklist, ranging from the obvious weapons and armor to the less obvious tricorders and neurozine. It was good to know that her Chief of Security also viewed this situation as requiring more than the standard stand in a line and shoot approach; it would make the planning process significantly easier if she wasn't having to fight traditional methods tooth and nail with each decision.
 
“…and that about covers it. Petty Officer Zh’kol is working with Morgan too, so if there is something else that you want down here, she can make it happen fast.”
 
Tyra nodded her head. There was a comment on her tip of her tongue about not being certain that Zh'kol or Cera could get her want she truly wanted, which consisted of a nuke, some coffee held within the skull of their enemy and maybe Cerberus himself, but she swallowed it back. While she likely could let some of her darker humor shine through in Coleman and his people's presence, there were other non-orange shirts wandering about within earshot. 
 
“Ah, that’ll be some of the stuff.”
 
Tyra's head just kept nodding. "I think you hit all of the high notes. I'm sure there's more but realistically, we can only do so much prep in the hour we've got."
 
Nathan reappeared on the heels of that statement, lugging along the pattern enhancers and seemingly possessing a count of tricorders that could be added to the number brought over by Coleman and company. However, he didn't get a chance to say anything before another figure approached the huddle, carrying a box in a most awkward and uncomfortable manner. Tyra might have managed an eyebrow arch at the strange posturing, if it weren't for the fact that she was attempting her best to stay focused on the task at hand.
 
“Sorry to interrupt,” Sydesh said as the Captain finished speaking. “But I brought over some fuel for the team to keep you all going, as it’s been a while already and we could be here a good while longer. I have hot coffee, cold isotonic and bars in too many different flavours. First dibs to the boss, Captain? Nath… Lieutenant?”
 
Tyra didn't get a chance to even acknowledge the offer, much less select from the offered goodies before Elias made his arrival known by swooping in like a hawk and snatching the first coffee he came to. He downed it as if it wasn't a warm, potentially scalding liquid. It earned a slight nod of admiration from the captain and an actual eye raise. While the mindsets couldn't be different between security and engineering, they did share a common dependency for the black nectar of the gods. 
 
"Thank you, Ensign," she said, offering Sydesh a small smile as she reached out, claiming a container of coffee and a ration bar for herself. While she still had the ration bar from Cera in her cargo pockets, she knew better than to not accept food when offered. If this battle went any length of time, those bars would be worth their weight in gold.  "It's very appreciated."
 
“You wanted to see me, Captain?” Elias asked after swallowing the coffee he had guzzled.
 
"Yes..." she answered, her tone sounding a little distracted as she moved off the bulkhead enough to survey the area. "Nathan, leave the pattern enhancers here. Tell Thorsdottir to get me armor and then, make sure all of the original team has the needed gear. Sydesh, check with all of the non-security officers down here and make sure they all have at least a basic trauma kit with a tourniquet."
 
Then, she pointed at the opened hatch to the runabout. "Damian and Ben, let's step inside for a moment. We've got some things we need to sort out," she said, her tone taking on the grimness that had become pretty commonplace since coming down from the command center.
 
As she was turning to lead the way into the runabout and kick anyone inside out, her communicator squawked, the voice of her CTO coming through.  [Briggs to Crawford. Captain, I’ve done what I can, but seems like all I got here is tracking the incoming ships. Mind if I join your… welcoming party?]
 
"Yeah, come down here. We need to set up a link between that console and down here but I'll get an engineer to handle that," she answered before stepping inside the runabout.
 
The three were inside the runabout for about five minutes, five minutes that were spent in quiet but focused discussion as they worked through a basic framework for their defense. The supplies that Coleman had brought over worked well within the framework that Tyra had been considering and fortunately, both Coleman and Elias agreed with the general direction she envisioned the defense needing to operate in. Both had offered their own critiques and suggestions, which were rolled into the finale product to create something that actually seemed workable and viable. If Tyra was being honest, this was the type of operation that should have been preceded by hours of careful planning but that was not what Fate had dropped into their laps. Instead, they were going to have to make do with the time, supplies and personnel that they had. It wouldn't be pretty but they didn't have a choice. The name of the game was surviving at all cost.
 
"Alright, so to summarize: we will be splitting into three teams. Two combat units and one support unit. We each have our team breakdowns," she said, tapping the PADD with her team on it against the palm of her hand. "Damian will have Smite element. I will have Strike and Ben, you'll have Sweep."
 
The entire plan hung on their ability to control where the Kazon went by blowing up or blocking passage ways, knocking them back on their heels with booby traps, and if all else failed, being able to track them via an improvised sensor net. They'd also be turning the pattern enhancers into pattern scramblers to allow them to hide certain parts of the station from sensors, primarily to allow them hiding spots for their teams and for medical evacs as needed. Those spots along with the natural sensor voids the station possessed, which Gregg had mapped, would allow them to move strategically. They had debated trying to hide the runabout with the pattern scramblers but it had been decided that might be too difficult and not a good use of their resources. If all worked according to plan, Strike and Smite would be able to effectively flank and pinch the Kazon while Sweep provided mobile reinforcements and support. Inevitably, the plan would go to **** but in her experience, how badly it went to Hell would largely depend on how effectively they prepared.
 
"Coleman, your team will be responsible for controlling the Kazon movements. Determine where we want them to move and block or blow out all the other options. Also, pick one of your guys to go back up to the command center with one of Kazon. When we give the word, they're to shut down the elevator entirely and are the sole defense for the CC," she said as she pulled her rifle bag out of its storage place and began to move towards the exit for the runabout.  "Elias, you're responsible for rigging everything up and dropping a line in to the CC so that we have sensor readings down here. My EOD specialist can go to whichever of you need 'em more."
 
"While y'all do that," she said as she stepped out of the airlock," me and mine will be setting up the sensor network and the pattern enhancers turned scramblers. We don't have much time so we need to be moving with a purpose and not wasting anytime."
 
As soon as her boots hit the deck, she unleashed another loud, ear piercing whistle.Considering how spread out some of their personnel were, it was the only sound she was confident would carry through the deck without being overlooked. "Rally up. Briefing starts in 30 seconds!" she yelled out, forcing her normal mid-tone into more of a drill sergeant's bellow. 
 
== Tag everyone! I'll be posting the brief Wednesday morning -- earlier if everyone gets in place quickly. ==

  • 0

#160 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.23 @ 12:07 (12:07 PM)

== Team Valkyrie ==

The conversation between Eli and Ashley became more hushed as their pace quickened. Time was against them and Eli didn't need to voice that concern to Ash as they both knew what was at stake. Taking what they knew and using their sight to seek out additional places to hide charges, booby traps and other surprises, Eli wasn't about to go back without nothing. Everything was recorded, memorised and yet the one thing that could help them more was proving to be elusive.

Luck clearly wasn't going to be of much help in locating where the Kazon were likely to dock. However Eli wasn't about to feel deflated or disheartened, not when there was still hope and determination to protect the station and it's inhabitants. In fact she kept the scans running, hoping for even the tiniest of miracles, before the unmistakable sound of a very loud ear piercing whistle brought her to a halt.

For a minute, Eli thought it was Beka until she realised who had whistled. If there was to be a briefing in 30 seconds then Eli and Ash had to get back and now. " Run" was all Eli said, hoping that they hadn't gotten too far away from the others. Being late wasn't an option, even if she didn't have much to report and Eli ran as fast as her body and equipment would allow.

Only slowing down as she neared the runabout, spotting more people than had originally been there, which meant one thing and it was a relief to see reinforcements. Stopping just short of people she recognised including her best friend. Eli then gave herself a moment to catch her breath.

== Tags ==
  • 0

#161 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 452 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.24 @ 21:41 (09:41 PM)

The smile didn’t move from Beka’s face as Benjamin swooped in for the first coffee, the Chief Engineer appearing from behind her. 
 
Didn’t even know he was here! I mean, I probably should have done. Whenever there’s potential trouble there’s usually him and his partner in crime Nathan…
 
The redhead’s run of luck with her Captain seemed like it was going to continue for a while yet, as Tyra was next to react.
 
"Thank you, Ensign," she said, offering Sydesh a small smile as she reached out, claiming a container of coffee and a ration bar for herself. "It's very appreciated."
 
Beka nodded gratefully, her smile still in place, before moving the opened case to pointedly hold it in front of Nathan. 
 
“Monsieur?” she said. 
 
“Hey Beka. Thank you,” he replied with a confident smile, taking one of the cold isotonic drinks.
 
There were so many witty comebacks that flashed through the doctor’s mind, but she remembered just who she was standing next to and managed to restrict her reply to a grin and a wink. With Crawford, Coleman and Elias in close proximity, this was not the time to get cute. The former clearly had something on her mind as she turned to both Beka and Nathan.
 
"Nathan, leave the pattern enhancers here. Tell Thorsdottir to get me armor and then, make sure all of the original team has the needed gear. Sydesh, check with all of the non-security officers down here and make sure they all have at least a basic trauma kit with a tourniquet."
 
“Yes ma’am!” the doctor replied. She took a step back and headed away, green eyes roving across the assembled team and trying to spot anyone that she thought looked like they’d been on the station for hours. A couple of the Security detail took drinks and snacks from the proffered case but she couldn’t see anyone else.
 
One person makes a waitress crack, they’ll be singing soprano Beka thought to herself with a grin as she laid down the provisions and cracked open the main case. She had enough equipment to allocate 3 basic trauma kits without leaving herself short, and she packed the kits into smaller fabric cases cannibalised from other supplies. Snapping her case shut, she straightened and took a look around, trying to work out who she had to offer the kits to. Cdr Gregg for definite. Lt Elias when he gets out of his conflab on the runabout. I can’t see any other non-Security personnel, but there might be another one around here somewhere so I’ll hang onto the kit for the time being.
 
A piercing whistle made Beka wince, both at the volume in the enclosed space and the memories of her own faux pas, before she realised it had come from Tyra who had emerged from the shuttle.
 
"Rally up. Briefing starts in 30 seconds!" the Captain shouted.
 
A thunder of boots to one side of her made Sydesh turn, and she pointed and grinned broadly when she recognised McKenna. 
 
“Hey Eli! Sorry, Lieutenant,” the doctor said. She leant down to retrieve her opened case of drinks and ration bars and held it out towards the new arrivals. “Drink and food, doctor’s orders. Keep your strength up. You too please Petty Officer!” she added with an encouraging nod to De Fonto. 
 
Again, she had a look round the room to see if the summons had drawn anyone else out that she hadn’t seen. It bothered the Ensign a little that she didn’t know who else was on the first team over so she didn’t really know what she was looking for.
 
“So what did I miss?” Beka asked Eli, hoping her friend could catch her up quickly. “I know Robin was on the initial team but I can’t see her now. Do we have people elsewhere or is this it?” 
 
== Tag McKenna! Ramius’ reactions provided by his player and used with kind permission. ==
 

  • 0

#162 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.25 @ 01:21 (01:21 AM)

==Ensign Stelic, Vulcan Engineer, Perpetual Smirker==

 

Stelic had run out of ideas, which was a perplexing problem. He persisted, though, trying to get a handle on precisely how to get the computer’s functionality to the runabout. Normally, a hardline interface would be simple, just running a cable would be enough. Unfortunately, the station was so ancient that he could not find a compatible port, even with the modular nature of Federation equipment. The few ports he was able to locate were of a design he was unable to parse, and many were too far from the runabout to be useful anyway.

 

Instead, he was reduced to waiting near the runabout, trying to make sense of a diagram he had made of one of the ports so that it might possibly be used. He noticed Lieutenant Elias heading his direction and made to call out, but then noticed both Lieutenant Coleman and Captain Crawford with him and thought better of that decision. If all three of them are needed, he reasoned, then this problem can wait. Or more likely, he presumed, would be a completely useless point soon.

 

Once the doors opened and the command team disembarked again, Stelic had to cover his ears at the deafening whistle the captain unleashed. He grimaced momentarily, schooling his face back to a more neutral frown – or as close as his face could get to one, considering it was locked in a perpetual smirk that seemed to aggravate his coworkers – as soon as he could.

 

He was not surprised to see Elias walk up to him and wave for the Vulcan to follow shortly thereafter, and he did so. “Alright,” the engineer told him, “I’ve got a job for you. Head up to the command center and get to work interfacing a few tricorders with their readouts there. That way, we can copy those screens to padds down here and keep a lookout without having to be tied down up there.” The Vulcan noticed they had been heading towards the supply crates that had been beaming in and nodded, mentally drafting a supply list. “I’m presuming you haven’t gotten a hardline working?”

 

Stelic shook his head. “No, sir. Their physical interfaces are few and ancient.” He had made a habit of trying to be as succinct as possible when speaking with the chief engineer; for some reason, the man seemed to be irritable whenever he was around.

 

As if proof of that irritability was needed, Elias let a pair of choice invectives fly – sotto voice, but the Vulcan’s superior hearing let him hear the Ferengi phrases nonetheless. “Alright, I didn’t expect any different at this point; if it were possible, I know you would’ve had it done by now.” Stelic nodded at the praise, though it was a small comfort at this point. “Try to make the tricorders as hidden as you can – inside the consoles would be great – but connectivity is the key. They don’t do us any good if we can’t read them down here. Contact me once you’ve got them set up and we’ll do a test.”

 

“Aye, sir,” Stelic replied, and the two engineers went their separate ways. Stelic, for his part, immediately moved to the crates and retrieved three tricorders from them – he was currently unwilling to part with his own, though recognized he may not have a choice soon – and from there went to the elevator. The ride seemed slightly faster this time as opposed to his previous trips, though he wasn’t sure if that was due to a faster elevator, or if it was due to the fact that he was not riding with either a large group or one very smelly person. Not that that was her fault, he amended to himself. Nobody would smell sweet after being vomited upon.

 

The elevator reached the command center, and Stelic went to work. He descended to the central console table, which he presumed was the primary control interface given the layout of the room, and immediately began interfacing one of the tricorders with it. It was not a difficult operation, fortunately, and soon the tricorder was transmitting a signal which would duplicate the main display onto a padd’s screen. Interaction was necessarily limited, but it would grant the sensor information that Elias had requested easily. He then proceeded to duplicate the procedure on the second tricorder, making a redundant signal.

 

He input a few commands, and set them both on a rotating frequency – a Star Fleet standard pattern so that the devices below could still decode it – in the hopes that any attempted jamming from the incoming threat would be unable to stop both. That accomplished, he then produced a hyperspanner from his engineering kit and began secreting the two tricorders within the console. The space inside the table was limited, but he was just able to fit them in, one on either side of the table.

 

Once he was finished, he sat back and hit his tricorder. “Stelic to Elias,” he said, “the tricorders are both transmitting, frequency sets 10-Baker-37 and 12-Aleph-44. Confirm signal?”

 

[Just a second, ensign,] the reply came back, with the sound of electronic beeping filtering through as well. Presumably, he was checking both signals before replying.

 

==GM Input: Do we have signal?==


  • 0

#163 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.25 @ 07:13 (07:13 AM)

Now that Eliana had gotten her breathing under control and no longer felt as though she had ran a marathon. The security officer was able to take stock of her surroundings, glad that she hadn't been hallucinating when she had seen Beka. It wasn't as if the TL was out of shape, merely working against the station and the heat. Yes a cold shower was definitely something to look forward too, but until then, she would get on with it as usual.

A brief respite was most certainly welcomed, especially as her best friend approached, bearing gifts. "Hey Beka... Ensign" Eli replied warmly as Beka greeted her, before the Doctor offered drinks and ration bars. Considering her last meal had been the shared nachos with Nathan and at least two cups of coffee. Eli wasn't about to ignore or go against doctor's orders as she gratefully accepted an isotonic drink and ration bar, before Ash was offered the same.

" Thanks Beka" Eli said with genuine appreciation for her friend's quick thinking. Opening the drink first and practically downing it as Beka casually asked her for an update. " Last time I saw Robin, she was with Mid Alken, who well I'll tell you properly later. " Eli began, knowing that Beka would understand. " Apart from that, all we know is that the Kazon are headed this way and are preparing to defend the station. Also until the reinforcements arrived, this was pretty much us, as well as Stelic and Commander Briggs".

Hopefully Eli had caught Beka up enough, especially since they didn't have long until the briefing. Although it was good to see the Doctor even if it wasn't in ideal circumstances.

== Tag Beka ==
  • 0

#164 LCdr Mathew Briggs

LCdr Mathew Briggs

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 660 posts
  • Discord:9772
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.25 @ 11:35 (11:35 AM)

== command center ==

 

The captain didn’t take long, and Mathew nodded in agreement.  “On it Captain.  Briggs out.”

 

Mathew closed the channel while standing.  He looked around a moment and then back to the console he was working, wondering how far away the incoming Kazon were. 

 

I could do that…  Heh… that time I linked to our engineering instructor’s PADD.  Yea, that didn’t go over well, but Allie thought it was brill.

 

Mathew grabbed his PADD from his bag, beginning to link it with the console, wanting to keep monitoring the incoming Kazon vessels.

 

Working carefully but as quickly as he could to finish.  Upon finishing, he picked up his bag and left the command center with a frown.  Just before exiting, he tapped on his PADD.

 

[Stardate 22108.25, Mathew Briggs, Chief Tactical Officer of the USS Artemis, EX-11000 recording.]  He paused a moment before continuing. [Enact Mathew Briggs last will and testament in 48 hours… Hell… I hope this isn’t it and forget that last order. Not going out this way. End recording. Mathew Briggs.]

 

Well…  let’s get my *** down there and prep with the rest of them.

 

Just as he turned, he met face to face with an officer, thought his initial reaction had Mathew’s hand drawing his phaser.  “Whoa!”   Stepping back helped Mathew focus on the Vulcan in engineering colors standing there.  “Sorry… Ensign.  Guess I’m jumpier than I thought.” 

 

He nearly offered to stay but figured it wouldn’t take too long for the officer to do his job and get back.

 

== Rendezvous with the group ==

 

Mathew didn’t waste much time after linking up the command center console he was working on and his PADD before heading down to the group.  Once there, he walked a bit more slowly as he took in who was there and their preparations.  There were more people there than what had been on the shuttle, including the red-haired medical officer Mathew had met in a less than traditional way.  He spotted the captain by the runabout near Coleman and Elias.

 

He checked the link on the PADD and the newest information on the Kazon, wanting to have the new data before reporting to the captain.  

 

== tag ==

 

== GM Input: Can Mathew link up his PADD to the command center?  What is the newest data as far as how far the Kazon are? Thanks! ==


  • 1

#165 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1301 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22108.27 @ 19:58 (07:58 PM)

==Apologies for the delay - overwork and under-pay makes for a dull GM!==

 

The Kazon ship had closed the distance significantly and appeared to be decelerating for a zero-zero intercept with the station, meaning that very soon it would be parked within visual sight of anyone looking out of the correct viewport. Fortunately Braggins had arranged for some toys to be beamed over which, paired with the supplies on the Runabout, meant the dozen or so Star Fleet personnel on the station could theoretically hold it indefinitely.

 

The engineering project seemed to be working; signal was only half strength, with the indicators in the yellow rather than the green, but they had signal.


  • 0

#166 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 452 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.27 @ 22:45 (10:45 PM)

Beka tilted her head as Eli spoke, taking in her friend’s words and then shaking her head. 
 
“Right. So Alken got himself in the ****, and now Robin has to babysit? Oh boy,” the doctor replied. “I’m gonna need that story later! I can’t even imagine.” She chuckled to herself. “I mean, I play up something chronic, but even I’m not devoid enough of common sense to actually get myself punted off an away team. Well. Usually, anyway,” she finished. 
 
Looking around, the redhead caught sight of Mathew Briggs appearing from the elevator.
 
“Ah-ha!” Sydesh exclaimed. “Commander *** himself.” She stopped mid-sentence as realisation dawned, and looked up at McKenna with a wicked grin on her lips. “I haven’t told you that story yet… OK. That one’s pretty damn funny. Add it to the list we need to tell each other when this is over. I’ll be right back…”
 
The thought had occurred to Beka, several times in the last few minutes, that maybe not everyone would be making it back to Artemis. The fact that she’d been summoned and made to don a flak vest was pretty clear evidence that serious injury was a distinct possibility. But she had chosen to ignore the feeling. She wouldn’t give voice to it. As far as she was concerned, they were all heading back to their ship when this was over. And the more she could convince the others that this was true, in her mind at least, the better the odds of it actually happening.
 
Briggs was only a few steps away, and as she reached him Sydesh gently nudged him in the ribs to get his attention. 
 
“Hey,” she said. “I bring goodies. But touch me up again and I’ll break your arm,” she teased with a warm smile, offering him the pick of her propped open case. “Doctor’s orders. Drink and something to eat to keep you going. I have coffee, isotonic and ration bars. Help yourself. Oh, and something else.” 
 
Beka held the open case with one hand, as she produced one of the field trauma kits from where she’d clipped them to her belt. 
 
“Captain’s orders. Everyone who’s not in Security needs to be carrying a basic medkit,” the redhead explained as she clipped the kit to the CTO’s belt. “You need help using it, call me.”
 
She transferred the case from one hand to the other to keep it where Mathew could get at the contents, biceps shifting under her pale skin.
 
== Tags again! ==
 

  • 0

#167 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.28 @ 03:25 (03:25 AM)

Benjamin sighed as he watched the elevator ascend with Stelic towards the command center. He felt a little bad at how irritated the guy made him feel, but realized he was glad that the Vulcan was here with them. He really is one of the best engineers I've got, he thought. Maybe I should try and actually pull him to the day shift sometime. Of course, that would make the rest of his duty roster have to play topsy turvy, but that was a problem for tomorrow's Benjamin Elias. 

 

Priority one: survive tonight. He muttered to himself for a moment as he rejoined the group, realizing it was still the middle of the night, ship's time, and that he hadn't really gone to bed after his shift yesterday. Good thing my bloodstream is mostly coffee.

 

He walked through the group for a moment, sipping a little more of the coffee that Beka had brought, though it'd started to get cool in his hand. He knew that they had a lot of work ahead, and so he started sorting crates. Explosives, tricorders and padds for networking, detonators, guns and spare power packs - if he hadn't known what was coming, the amount of materiel in the crates would have terrified him. Instead, he wondered if it was going to be enough.

 

He tried to massage his temple as he looked through things, feeling a migraine coming on, just behind his artificial eye. His padd had a station map, courtesy of Commander Gregg, and he began trying to determine the best way to block off access and funnel the enemy towards the security components. It wasn't going to be easy, but fortunately there were a couple of security officers with demo training - very brief training, but training nonetheless - to help supplement himself and Ensign Stelic. Tyra had already chosen her preferred chokepoints, so it was just a matter of limiting their choices. He began compiling an estimate of exactly what should be carried with them to get this pulled off, and divided it so that each member of his team would be helping, once the Captain split everyone off after their quick briefing.

 

As he waited, he went over to a console and brought up the parts manifest that the station's crew had loaded up in the cargo bay. If I were a Kazon bully, stealing from the weak, which of these pieces would I want to take first? he asked himself. It wasn't exactly an easy mindset to get into; he was used to being part of the Federation, where scarcity was essentially a solved problem, and he'd been raised to help others. A bully starved for resources wasn't exactly something he could easily sympathize with.

 

Fortunately, he didn't have to struggle with it for long, as his commbadge chirped. [Stelic to Elias,] the ensign said, [the tricorders are both transmitting, frequency sets 10-Baker-37 and 12-Aleph-44. Confirm signal?]

 

"Just a second, ensign," he told him. He reconfigured his padd to decode those frequencies, first Baker and then Aleph. Then he did it again in sequence, just to make sure they weren't lying to him. "Damn it all to..." he started, before catching himself. "Ensign, good work but stand by." He muted his commbadge and moved at double time across the room towards Tyra.

 

"Captain?" he said urgently, and handed her the padd. "Just got signal down from the command center." The padd showed possibly the worst case scenario. They no longer had an hour or more.

 

The Kazon ship was on approach. They had minutes instead; fifteen at most.

 

==Tag Crawford!==


  • 0

#168 LCdr Mathew Briggs

LCdr Mathew Briggs

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 660 posts
  • Discord:9772
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22108.30 @ 00:45 (12:45 AM)

Mathew was watching the PADD he’d linked, noting that there wasn’t much time before the Kazon arrived. Music continued to blare inside his head as he thought, his head nodding to the beat playing.  He looked around at the crew and the items that had obviously been sent from the Artemis. 

 

At least we have more than just phasers.  Betcha we can do some damage…even if…

 

Mathew’s thoughts trailed away as he felt something in his ribs. The environment around him didn’t warrant a quick knock down, so his response was quite neutral.  As soon as he saw Doctor Sydesh, he grinned. 

 

“So… I need to make it worth it?”  He threw Beka a wink before waving his hand.  “Only kidding doc… I’m never going to live that down, am I?” 

 

Stowing the PADD under his arm, Mathew picked up a couple of ration bars.   “Thanks for this.  It’s just what the… doctor ordered.”  He rolled his eyes as he commented, “Well, that was original.”

 

He shoved the ration bars in his pocket and then picked up some isotonic. “Coffee is good… but I’ll go for the isotonic.”

 

As Beka grabbed a trauma kit off her belt and clipped it to his belt, Mathew slammed the drink down and replaced the full cup with an empty one.  The reality of what was about to happen showed on his face as his grin disappeared. 

 

“We’re in the thick of it, huh?”  He said with a frown.   “Probably not a good chance I’ll be able to give this trauma kit back to you unused…  I’m glad to see you’re wearing that… I should get mine on.”   Mathew sighed. 

 

“This **** feels like déjà vu.” He mumbled.  His voice trailed away though.  “Has the captain assigned folks to teams? I’ve been in the command center.”

 

Mathew went for one more isotonic while listening to the doc.

 

== tag == 


Edited by LCdr Mathew Briggs, Star Date 22108.30 @ 00:49 (12:49 AM).

  • 0

#169 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 452 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.30 @ 22:34 (10:34 PM)

Beka said nothing as Mathew fumbled a couple of attempts at conversation, but that was mostly because her face was so expressive that she didn’t need to. Her filthy grin at the running joke between the two officers about how they’d first met, and then the overly dramatic rolling of her eyes at ‘doctor’s orders’, said plenty for her.
 
When the mutual smiles faded though, she did her best to be reassuring. 
 
“We’re in the thick of it, huh?” Briggs said with a frown.   “Probably not a good chance I’ll be able to give this trauma kit back to you unused… I’m glad to see you’re wearing that… I should get mine on.” The CTO sighed. “This **** feels like déjà vu,” he mumbled. “Has the captain assigned folks to teams? I’ve been in the command center.”
 
“Nah, not yet. There’s been a heated discussion with Coleman and Elias in the shuttle and I think we’re about to get our assignments, but we’ve not had them yet,” Sydesh replied. “I’ve been here all of 10 minutes so I’ve not got much else to catch you up on. I only just got Eli to catch me up.”
 
The redhead pulled at the collar of her flak vest. 
 
“This thing is bloody uncomfortable. I’ve let it out as much as I can and it’s still oppressively tight. It’s better than getting shot though, I guess,” she added, a wry smile on her lips as she kept her voice muted. “I mean, I look at all the big toy soldiers in those suits of armour of theirs, and I have to admit, I’m not in the least bit jealous. How do you even move in those things? They better be phaser-proof because there’s no getting out of the way,” she joked. “I should have brought a can-opener or two in my medkit in order to actually get at any injuries.”
 
Not being able to see anyone who she’d missed with the impromptu refreshment stops, Beka decided to help herself to one of her own coffees. With a true surgeon’s dexterity she popped the cup open single-handedly and guzzled half of it in a single shot.
 
“This feels so familiar to me, and yet so not,” she said. “I’m well used to being sent out to scavenge on decrepit stations. But never with any back-up or anything. If there was half a chance of a fight, we wouldn’t go near the place. So yeah, looking around and seeing this many Security officers with that many guns is pretty reassuring. Especially knowing I’ll almost certainly be in the rearguard.” 
 
Green eyes flicked up to Mathew. 
 
“How about you? You been in these kinda fights before?”
 
== Back atcha! ==
 

  • 0

#170 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2536 posts

Posted Star Date 22108.31 @ 21:26 (09:26 PM)

The whistle had worked well as bodies had scurried to huddle around her -- she knew it would with the security officers but it seemed that even the others reacted to the sharp noise like canines drawn to a dog whistle. However, before she could begin a proper brief, Elias appeared, looking solemn and offering her a PADD.
 
"Captain?" he said urgently. "Just got signal down from the command center." 
 
Her teeth gritted together as she processed that their prep time, the time that was incredibly crucial to their success, had been slashed from an hour to maybe, twenty minutes if they were lucky. Realistically, it was closer to ten or fifteen.
 
"****," she muttered as she handed him the PADD back.
 
"Alright," she said louder for everyone to hear. "We don't have time for a briefing anymore so I'll give out assignments and then, it's up to team leaders to brief their teams. I would suggest doing it in action."
 
"There will be three teams: two combat units and one support unit.  Team Smite, led by Coleman, will consist of Thorsdottir, Iiys, Mourte, Bloish, and Gregg. Your prep responsibility is blocking pathways to control Kazon movements. Team Strike, led by myself, will consist of Ramius, Briggs and SR Team 2. We will be responsible for placing the scramblers and placing the sensor net. We'll brief our respective battle plan as we work."
 
"Team Sweep," she motioned to Elias," led by Elias, will consist of McKenna, De Fonto, Sydesh and Haysfer.Y our prep responsibility is rigging up the offerings in the bay and then, using whatever remaining time you have to lay booby traps. If you get that far, make sure to relay their locations to us as we discussed, Ben. As for your battle responsibilities, y'all need to be monitoring the sensor net to head off any Kazon trying to get around us and use the tubes to our advantage to get to and treat wounded. Y'all are our back up so don't put yourselves at risk until necessary."
 
Lastly, she looked at the lone security officer that wasn't on a team, a young crewman. "You are to report to Ensign Stelic on the command center. On my command, y'all will shut down the lift. The security of the CC is on your shoulders but they shouldn't get that far without us knowing... assuming we all do our job."
 
"We don't have time for questions so everyone fall into your teams and get to work."
 
She didn't wait for everyone to start breaking away before she was grabbing Nathan and Praasn by the elbow. "Nathan, grab the scramblers and a partner. We need hiding spots for Smite and Strike as well as hiding spots in the tubes to protect Sweep. If we can get another spot for triage set up, awesome but that's secondary. Praasn, collect the crate of tricorders we brought over and any extras laying around," she said, her tone firm and her nod a seeming dismissal.
 
"Briggs, get whatever gear you need that you don't have. Once that's done, rally back up with me. Your primary job on this team is going to be monitoring the sensors in the CC and the sensor net once we've got it set up as best we can. I don't expect you to have your eyes on it the whole time but it's going to be on you to relay the information we need, understood?"
 
== Tag everyone! ==

  • 1

#171 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22109.01 @ 09:31 (09:31 AM)

As Beka left briefly to speak to Briggs and ensure that the Chief had received the obligatory snack and drink. Eli couldn't help but appreciate not only the isotonic drink and ration bar, but also the promise of finding out the story about Beka and Briggs. The wicked grin alone had been enough to intrigue the security officer and Eli knew it would be worth it, whilst giving her something to look forward too.

Not that Eliana, wouldn't pay her in kind in regards to filling her best friend in properly about what had transpired, before Beka had gotten here. Hopefully by then it would be a tale worthy of seeing the funny side. Although at the moment and with the prospect of visiting the Ready Room when they got back, perhaps it wouldn't be. So some light relief from Beka, would definitely be needed.

Shoving those thoughts to one side where they belonged, Eli then made short work of the ration bar as she noticed Ben, looking serious and considering the situation, was understandable. The reason was soon revealed as the Captain addressed everyone present. Immediately Eli regretted eating the ration bar as their prep time was substantially reduced. Ignoring that ominous feeling in her stomach, Eli continued to listen as Tyra gave out the assignments and explained what each team would be responsible for.

Understanding her role in this and with the arrival of the Kazon imminent, Eli indicated to Ashley to follow as she made her way over to Ben. " Two of the three Amigos are here" she quipped as she approached her other best friend. This was the last chance for light humour as reality was kicking in and things, would become a lot more serious. " What do you need me and De Fonto to do?".

== Tags Team Elias ==
  • 0

#172 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.03 @ 01:28 (01:28 AM)

== Security NRC – Petty Officer 3rd Class Salisha Cage, Entry Specialist ==

 

It didn’t take long for Commander Gregg to find his way over to the nearest crate, and Cage had followed. She wasn’t exactly thrilled to still be babysitting commed officers, and would have much preferred the team take turns with that role; like Reyva, who had nothing to do until **** hit the fan. Either way, Salisha accepted the duty knowing she didn’t have to like it.

 

“Miss Cage, we might want to move this crate over a bit before we get blood on us.”

 

There were a few phrases, quotes, and choice witty remarks that came to Cage’s mind, though all of them sounded snarky and were blocked by her filter. It wouldn’t do to be getting on nerves this early, she knew. Instead, she focused on what it was they were supposed to be doing, and that was getting the Science Officer ready for a gun fight.

 

For his part, he started gathering up weapons on other gear. Cage wore a surprised look on her face as Gregg choose to pick out not one but two Type-Two phasers. Trying to imagine the man going guns akimbo put a brief smile on her face, but she wasn’t about to tell a Commander what he could or couldn’t do. Instead, she shrugged, and started sorting through the body armor to get the appropriate gear for him.

 

It didn’t take long for Salisha to get pieces that would fit. Most of the standard body armor was a one-size-fits-most sort of deal. Plus the chest piece, along with the helmet, were the easiest to size and also happened to be the most important bits. More complete armor, like what the SR Team wore, wasn’t going to be needed by the Commander – and there wasn’t time to fabricate him fitting pieces anyway.

 

“Alright sir, let me help you gear up,” Cage said as she brought armor pieces over to him, and helped him tighten the various straps for the best fit possible.

 

It didn’t take a long amount of time, especially with Salisha helping him. When it was done, she heared a loud whistle that drew her immediate and total attention.

 

Damn! Been since Boot Camp that I’ve heard a whistle like that!

 

“We should head over there,” she nodded and broke away, returning the rest of the group with plenty of hustle.

 

Listening to the team breakdowns, Cage was happy that the Response Team was going to be sticking with Crawford. It was also the smartest move, as the Captain was both the biggest asset and largest liability on the field. Not because she didn’t know how to handle herself, but because of her rank and importance should she be captured.

 

Following closely on Crawford’s heels, she overheard the Skipper talking with Ramius and Prassn. She made herself visible to Nathan when he was being told to grab a partner. He’d been training with the team for awhile now, and he had a dedication that she didn’t often see outside of specialists like herself.

 

"Cage," Prassn called, and she headed over to get the specifics.

 

== tag to Ed – apologies again for the wait… ==

=== minor edit to change the peeps out for Nathan... ===


Edited by Lt Damian Coleman, Star Date 22109.03 @ 02:04 (02:04 AM).

  • 0

#173 Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 663 posts
  • SRT Officer, Security
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22109.03 @ 02:16 (02:16 AM)

Nodding to him, Tyra sounded drained as she replied. It wasn’t the sort of physical fatigue that many in the department might hear after a strenuous day, but it almost sounded like a spiritual fatigue or disillusionment. Not that Nathan would blame her for feeling that way either. Of the missions he’d accompanied her on, only one had been anything other than combat. It was easy to see, then, just how it all might pile up; especially as Tyra’s career certainly had more craziness than his. Still, there were things to do, and getting the type of rest needed to rejuvenate the spirit wasn’t going to be found on a Repair Station in the Delta Quadrant anyway.

 

"Gather all the pattern enhancers…” she started, and Nathan was ready to make a mental checklist. With only two items on it, however, he didn’t bother with a list.

 

“Yes ma’am,” he said, spotting Coleman just as Tyra commented on the same.

 

Giving a nod of deference to the Chief, Ramius took off and started carrying out his orders. The pattern enhancers were the first things to grab, as they were more likely to disappear in a fray rather than crated tricorders, or the ones already attached to hips. Jogging to and fro, it felt good to Nathan. Releasing some pent-up energy was just what he needed, as he started getting a restless feeling since the Command Center incident. Perhaps, he supposed, there was some remnant adrenaline. Or it was the knowledge of an impending fight.

 

Or both, he chuckled lightly to himself.

 

It didn’t much matter what it was, but it did fuel him toward the completion of his tasks. Returning to the pack at the Runabout, the rest of the squad was also seen, including Hulk and Thorsdottir. Though it was the sighting of Gregg that surprised him the most, though having someone with a science background would help in keeping track of the Kazon through the areas of highest interference. So, in the end, it made sense. And then there was Beka, who was handing out needed refreshments.

 

“…First dibs to the boss, Captain? Nath… Lieutenant?”

 

Elias seemed to swoop out of nowhere like some bird of prey, grabbing one of the coffees. Nathan’s eyebrows punched upwards in surprised, and he nearly laughed at the sight. There was a quick check to look at Tyra, who didn’t seem phased at all by the move. Ramius simply shook his head. As the captain thanked Sydesh, Nathan had almost forgotten how damned hot the place was, and when offered, didn’t hesitate at taking a cold beverage.

 

“Hey Beka,” he smiled to her broadly, genuinely happy to see her, “Thank you.”

 

There was plenty that he could have said. Plenty more than he thought to say. But at the end of the day, none of it made it past his filter. Whatever swirling emotions there had been in the past, a lot of them had been worked on. Not all were, however. Some still lingered near the surface fought with one another. But at a moment of gearing up and preparing for battle? Nathan knew it wouldn’t have been the right time or place for that sort of thing. That, and he was fairly sure Beka had moved past it all already; opening the wounds wouldn’t do either of them good.

 

Then there were more orders from Tyra, to which he resolutely replied,

 

“Yes ma’am.”

 

No rest for the wicked.

 

And off Nathan went again, at least not having to go far to find Thorsdottir. He was greeted pleasantly despite her knowing the details of his past missteps. Whether she had forgotten them, or whether he had earned some amount of redemption in her eyes, he didn’t know. Though there was a bond between Brid and Tyra, and they seemed to trend the same on hot button issues aboard ship. If Tyra had all but found clemency for Nathan, Thorsdottir was likely to be on the same page.

 

“Brid,” Nathan said warmly in response, “Tyra is looking for some armor, and then to help me with gearing the original team up too.”

 

Setting out immediately upon their task, it didn’t take them long to get it done. Most of the equipment was easy to put on, unlike some of the better fitted stuff the Security Department had. They were both heading back when they heard the whistle. It wasn’t the first he heard that particular sound, though it certainly was much colder the last time he had heard it. The dichotomy in temperature between the memory, and the station’s heat, kept other recollections at bay; Nathan was glad for it. But it did spur him to not just jog, but run back for the ensuing chat.

 

They made it back in time to hear the briefing, and Nathan solemnly nodded when it was revealed he’d be on Team Strike with Tyra and the rest of the SR Team. It was a good grouping, and it made him feel better that he’d be able to watch her back, especially as Coleman was being tasked with his own combat unit. And hearing that Ben, McKenna, and Sydesh would be out of the major lines of fire, at least initially, was a relief. It wasn’t that Nathan didn’t trust them to fight. In fact, he knew exactly what Ben could do and the man had had his back more than anyone else on the crew. Ramius just didn’t want that grouping to get hurt.

 

I don’t want anyone to get hurt really, but that isn’t realistic. I don’t think that any team is going to escape some fighting. Hopefully they’ll be able to use good cover and surprise.

 

As soon as the briefing was done, Nathan didn’t even have a chance to break away before Tyra nabbed him. It surprised him, and nearly made him laugh at the seemingly mother-like grab at his elbow before he could move away.

 

"Nathan, grab the scramblers and a partner. We need hiding spots for Smite and Strike as well as hiding spots in the tubes to protect Sweep. If we can get another spot for triage set up, awesome but that's secondary.”

 

“Understood, we’ll hustle,” he said, game-face now on, and nodded back to her once she was done with Prassn too.

 

“Reyva,” Nathan called out to the Hekaran Petty Officer, “with me. We’ve got some hiding spots to find, and scramblers to set up.”

 

As soon as she caught up with him, he continued,

 

“We need sensor scrambled spots for Smite and Strike to hide in, as well as some of the tubes for Sweep. Then a secondary triage spot setup if we have time.”

 

“Yes sir. I took a quick look on my PADD before the briefing on spots that might make good vantage or hold points, and saw some areas that would be good for hiding us in. I was thinking individuals, but there are a few that would be perfect positions for teams.”

“Good, let’s boogie.”

 

== off to do the tasks! ==

=== another minor edit to change NRC names ===


Edited by Lt (JG) Nathan Ramius {Coleman}, Star Date 22109.03 @ 02:34 (02:34 AM).

  • 0

#174 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1266 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22109.04 @ 22:42 (10:42 PM)

Ed wasn’t sure of the odd look that Cage gave him when he picked out the two phasers. They weren’t exactly going up against the Borg, but there was a flexibility that they offered. Also it was usually a good idea to have a backup piece. The armour was solid and even had a recess for his comm badge, but you needed someone who knew what they were doing. Sizing and getting the armour on in the right order. It was concise.

As Cage was helping with the strapping there was a penetrating whistle. It looked as if the Captain was ready to get things rolling. It certainly sounded as if the Kazon vessel was nearly upon them. There would be very little time to set up. Ed was a little surprised that he was helping the Smite team. He quickly back tracked and picked up a tool kit.

Ed knew he knew how to do stuff, but he was unsure how he’d be able to back up a better skilled Security team. He had managed to copy over the map to his PADD and readied himself. As he waited for Lieutenant Coleman to round up the Smite group he heard Tyra ask Ramius to setup additional blindspots to help Smite and Strike Ed wondered about options for keeping track on where members of the Away Team were and telling hostiles from friendlies.

A working sensor grid would be ideal. Ed would need a console that had Galactic Standard (probably the most unfortunate phrase in the whole of the Milky Way) and access to the right systems in the station.

“Lieutenant Coleman, I’ve got an idea for how to keep track of our locations and track the hostiles when they arrive. We’ve got a map and I can use the signals from our comm badges to populate the map. I just need to find someone who can point me to a console with access to this station’s internal sensor grid. Even something as old as this station was able to differentiate lifesigns.”

== tag Coleman ==
  • 0

#175 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.05 @ 00:12 (12:12 AM)

==Team Sweep==

 

Benjamin couldn’t help but agree with the captain as she looked over the padd. It was patently not good, and going to be a serious problem. As such, she cut her briefing down from a full breakdown of their plans to a barebones outline, and for the team leads to be responsible for assigning their teams to their roles. Fine in theory, except for the fact that his team had one of the more… diverse roles out of the three, and that he was down one of his people since Stelic was now staying in the command center.

 

But look on the bright side, he thought. At least this means she trusts me to do this. And besides, improv is one of my strengths, right? His artificial eye twitched at the thought, but he just rubbed his temple as he pulled his group together.

 

He was pleased as, not unexpectedly, Eli walked up to him first with De Fonto in tow. “Two of the three amigos are here,” she joked as she walked up, and drew a chuckle with it. He wasn’t particularly surprised that Tyra had declined to put Nathan on his team; there was only so much chaos they could afford to deal with when this was already going to be a highly chaotic event. “What do you need me and De Fonto to do?” she asked.

 

“Hold on just a second,” he told her, and saw Haysfer walking up, with another non-com beside him.

 

“PO3 Haysfer,” the security officer said as he sketched a salute. A few years earlier, it was likely that the man would’ve been a Marine, but with their dissolution he was in security instead. He gestured at the other crewman before adding, “This is Crewman Runadi. She’s been assigned to me for training, so I guess she’s here with us.” The Bajoran woman gave her own brief salute, but remained quiet otherwise.

 

“So, Crewman,” he asked her, “what’s your specialty?” He hadn’t met either of them, but knew of Haysfer in passing, talking with Nathan about a couple of shifts he had pulled with the man. Runadi on the other hand was a completely blank slate, and the unassuming, fairly average looking woman didn’t scream a specialty just by appearance.

 

“I’m an EOD assistant, sir,” she said smartly, and pushed a stray red hair out of her face which made him notice for the first time that she was missing a finger on her left hand. He didn’t know if that made him question her abilities with explosives, or meant she knew enough to be careful and thorough.

 

“Could be useful,” he said with a nod, and shoved the thought out of his head. With some of the plans they’d come up with, having another person here that can work with explosives – big or small – would come in handy. He looked around and realized they were only missing one person, who he could see walking through the crowd nearby. He waved Sydesh over and, upon the redheaded doctor’s arrival, he went over the plan.

 

“Alright, folks, like the Captain said we’re Team Sweep: we’re the cleanup team. While the others will be focused mainly on combat, we’re here to assist. We’ve got our medic-” he waved generally at Sydesh “-and myself to help out with any issues that arise. Before they get here, though, we’ve got a lot to do.

 

“First up, we need to get some traps set up.” He turned his padd to where the huddle could see the floorplans, and began to point. “We need to set up a few traps to help herd the Kazon to where Strike and Smite can take care of them. There are four gantries leading away from the landing bay on the main level, and I want them all rigged to blow. Eli, take De Fonto with you; grab explosives and remote detonators, get them tuned in and let both Strike and Smite know so they can detonate the ones near them. Once you’re done, rendezvous at the observation post we were in earlier, where Alken… did whatever he did.”

 

He turned to Sydesh next. “Ensign, I don’t know what you need to do to get ready, but be ready to respond to whatever injury might happen. Get your gear together, and get up to that observation post and use it as our staging post.” He indicated it on the plans, so that the newcomers could know. “Runadi, go with her and help get whatever gear is needed up there. Also, take some small detonators with you tuned to frequency 78-Delta-9 and attach them to the windows. We’re going to try and catch the Kazon off guard whenever the inevitable happens, and before we start moving around.” He looked at the group before adding, “Everyone, if you’re trained with a rifle, make sure you have one with you before you get up to the post.”

 

Finally, he turned to Haysfer. “That leaves you and me, petty officer, to handle booby-trapping the stuff on the landing bay floor. Grab a satchel full from the supply stash and meet me by the doors.” The man nodded. “If you’ve got a question, make it fast; we’re on a tight clock with all of this.”

 

==Tags to Sydesh and McKenna==


  • 0

#176 LCdr Mathew Briggs

LCdr Mathew Briggs

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 660 posts
  • Discord:9772
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22109.05 @ 15:24 (03:24 PM)

Mathew nodded as Beka talked about a discussion in the shuttle.  He felt his right eyebrow raise as he looked to the shuttle, wondering what was going on.  Mathew continued to nod as Beka changed the conversation to the flak jacket she wore.  Truth was, he never really wore anything like that, except in simulations.  It really wasn’t an option when Mathew worked with Buck. 

 

“Hopefully you won’t have to worry about getting to anyone,” Mathew commented.  “I mean…  Maybe the Kazon just want to play poker and have a drink.”  He tried to laugh but failed. The seriousness of what they were preparing for made the air thick with tension.

 

“Nah, If I had my choice, I’d prefer being stealthy…  That’s what I…”  He stalled at further explanation. Anything he had been involved was essentially nonexistent. “…I think would be best. If we can find some good hiding areas and take them by surprise, hopefully we can have a more peaceful ending.  Though, I’m not sure that’s what the Kazon have in mind.” 

 

As the Captain whistled, Mathew grabbed another ration bar off Beka’s tray and gathered with everyone else for further orders.

 

Would she be weirded out if I asked her out now?  Or I could just tell her I’ll meet her at the gym when this is done… or for a drink at.. Matty!!! FOCUS!  

 

Mathew delved into the ration bar he’d just stolen from Beka as he listened to the Captain’s assignments.

 

Team Smite to block pathways. Team Strike scramblers and sensor net. Team Sweep, traps. 

 

Mathew looked at those on his assigned team: the captain, Ramius, and SR Team 2.  As the captain wrapped up so people could begin work on their assignments, she then turned to those on Team Strike, giving out specific assignments.  

 

“Yes sir,” Mathew replied to the captain.

 

As he went to prepare, he quickly found Doctor Sydesh and whispered to her.  “Thanks for the nutrients. When we’re done with this, I think we’re going to need a drink. Meet you in Ten Forward?” He tried to sound casual, but the reality of the situation wouldn’t let that happen. He felt the strain of anxiety throughout his body. “…Be careful… Beka.”

 

After wishing the doctor well, Mathew started to throw on the armor others were donning, not happy with wearing it. Who designed this crap?  He grabbed more than the phaser he was wearing, while his mind raeed about what needed to be done in very little time, making him hurry even more. 

 

Mathew finished preparing in silence while observing the others.  He started to zone on areas that could be used for surprises towards the Kazon. In this way, maybe he could report these places to the crew as **** happened to hit the fan. Once suited up, he reported back to the captain.

 

== Tag Beka, Team Strike, Captain, Anyone, ...  Bueller...  ==

 


  • 0

#177 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 452 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.05 @ 21:42 (09:42 PM)

Beka just about managed to keep a smirk off her face as Mathew talked about his preference for stealth. 
 
Yeah, because I’ve known him sneak around real good before flattening me at the gym, she thought to herself. Still. There’s something about the guy though. He didn’t back down at all when I took him on… That’s rare. I can do a good line in righteous indignation. The smile was still present on her lips at the memory. Before Briggs, the last person to put their hands where they weren’t welcome had left with a broken arm.
 
The redhead’s train of thought was shunted into a siding when the Captain took centre-stage. The doctor was in no position to comment on the tactical merits of the plan, and it took her a second to take in a lot of the details and translate the unfamiliar acronyms, but eventually she had it straight in her head.
 
OK, that works, she thought. For me, I get another chance to try and make Elias dislike me a little less, and Eli can help me keep up with the Security side of things.
 
There was one last job she needed to do before she could catch up with her new team, but before she could get anywhere with it, Mathew caught her attention again.
 
“Thanks for the nutrients. When we’re done with this, I think we’re going to need a drink. Meet you in Ten Forward?” The CTO was clearly trying to be casual, but he wasn’t doing too good of a job of it. “…Be careful… Beka.”
 
The doctor blinked a couple of times, as the wheels turned behind her bright green eyes. 
 
Did… Did he just ask me out? In the middle of a Kazon station? Any minute now, younger me will be along to whistle at us!
 
Sydesh looked around discretely, making sure nobody was watching, before she gently took Briggs’ hand in hers. 
 
“You’re on,” she said quietly. “No getting yourself shot to get out of it, OK? I have the perfect little dress in mind.” With a soft squeeze and a warm smile, Beka slipped away. She had her own job to do, just as much as Mathew did. 
 
She closed up her case of supplies and quickly picked her way through the assembled teams, locked on to Commander Gregg. Crawford had asked her to make sure that all non-Security officers had medkits and that included the CSO. Having already handed one off to Briggs, she had another two hanging from her belt. 
 
“Excuse me, Commander Gregg?” Beka asked. “Sorry to interrupt, but the Captain asked me to make sure everyone who’s not in Security has a field medkit.” She unclipped one of the ones from her belt and passed it over to the Science chief. “It’s just the basics, but if the worst happens, call me. I’ll come if I can or talk you through it if I can’t.”
 
With the handover done, the doctor nodded in apology to Lt Coleman and then headed away. Her head was spinning with what Mathew had said, and all the plans she was now trying to remember, and the knowledge that at some point very soon there were likely to be Kazon shooting at her. There were few as unphased by pressure as Beka was, but it was still a lot.
 
Ahead, Sydesh realised that Elias was waving her over, and she hurried to catch up as he started to outline his plan. It only contributed to her brainache but she was able to take in what she had to. The plan for her basically seemed to be to take her medical gear and stay well away from anything else, and that was not something she was willing to do. 
 
“If you’ve got a question, make it fast; we’re on a tight clock with all of this.” The Chief Engineer looked around. 
 
“Less a question, more a statement, sir,” Beka said quickly. “I’m a Star Fleet certified field engineer with several years’ experience of getting around derelict stations that I wasn’t supposed to be on. I can do more for you than sit at the back and wait for the shooting to start. Please, put me to work. I don’t need to be protected any more than anyone else.” 
 
She paused for a second. The redhead’s proficiency in a fight wasn’t exactly a secret any more, not since she’d knocked out a Security officer in a drill. But her engineering certifications hadn’t come up much outside of the medical complex she’d helped build on New Talax, so it was important for her to make sure Elias knew what she could do.
 
“And also, I have no idea where this observation post is,” Beka admitted. “I just got here and I don’t have a map. Let me get a tricorder out of my gear, and I can copy the scans from yours or Eli’s tricorders?”
 
== Tag Mathew, Ed and Team Sweep ==
 

  • 0

#178 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22109.06 @ 07:31 (07:31 AM)

== Team Sweep ==

The chuckle that she got out of Ben, was likely the last happy sound that either of them would make, until they got out of here. However Eli was happy to hold onto that thought as her friend answered her and asked her to wait a second. The reason soon became apparent as Haysfer and Runadi joined what was now Team Sweep. Eli acknowledged her fellow security personnel, before Ben enquired as to what Runadi's speciality was. The Lieutenant listened closely, realising that this was the first time that she had crossed paths with the Bajoran. Quite ironic that their first meeting was in the middle of an emergency situation but it often happened that way.

Having another EOD specialist was definitely useful as Ben then gestured for Beka to join them and then began to explain the plan. Being the clean up team, didn't necessarily mean that their job was any easier than that of Strike and Smite or any less important. Looking towards Beka briefly as Ben indicated until her focus shifted to the Padd and the floor plans currently being displayed. Setting up traps to direct the Kazon so they could be taken care of seemed fairly straightforward in theory and scanned the areas that needed to be rigged. A job that fell to her and De Fonto as Ben gave them their orders.

Yes time was against them and if they had to run from gantry to gantry then so be it. A plan of her own formed in her head as Ben ended with a comment made about Alken. Knowing exactly what he meant without having to think too much about it as she then acknowledged the orders.

" Got it and I remember" she replied as Ben then spoke to Beka and the others, as well as addressing the group as a whole. With everyone having their own individual jobs and having no questions that she wanted to ask. Eli prepared to move off once Ben had finished. It was Beka who spoke first and knowing her as she did, Eli understood why she didn't want to just sit back and would rather be put to use.

It wasn't Eli's call to make and had her tricorder ready, should Ben ask her to copy over the location so Beka knew where to go, but it all depended on how Ben would answer.

== Tag Team Sweep ==
  • 0

#179 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.08 @ 00:54 (12:54 AM)

== Team Smite ==

 

The discussion had been brief, but fruitful, even if it didn’t sound like great odds. Damian didn’t mind bad odds though. He’d fought enough times as an underdog, and came out on top, to know that numbers weren’t everything. The plan was solid, and all Elias and Coleman had to do was finesse certain ideas and offer options. It took all of five minutes, but it had been incredibly focused as well as worthwhile.

 

After that was the briefing, and while Crawford gave orders, Damian did a quick head count. There were a lot of orange on uniforms in the group, and it should have made him feel better, but it didn’t. Realistically though, he knew that the more he took from the Artemis, the less defensible she would be. His duty to protect was stretched thin, but that didn’t stop him from trying to be optimistic.

 

"We don't have time for questions so everyone fall into your teams and get to work," Crawford finished, and a form of orderly chaos took hold as the teams branched out.

 

“Thorsdottir, Iiys, Mourte, Bloish, and Gregg, with me,” he called out, moving toward one of the ordnance crates.

 

“You four,” he looked to the Security officers in his team once at the crate, “get charges and accessories for demolition and traps. If we can’t block access, we’ll deny it with explosives. We need to funnel the Kazon into knowable and controlled routes so that we can dictate the terms of engagement. That means corridors, access tubes, gangways, ladders… we need to remove their freedom of movement.”

 

There wasn’t even a pause as the security element of the team went to work, while Gregg took the moment to speak with Damian,

 

“Lieutenant Coleman, I’ve got an idea for how to keep track of our locations and track the hostiles when they arrive. We’ve got a map and I can use the signals from our comm badges to populate the map. I just need to find someone who can point me to a console with access to this station’s internal sensor grid. Even something as old as this station was able to differentiate lifesigns.”

 

Damian considered his options for a brief moment. The idea had been to send either Mourte or Bloish back with one of the Kazon to the Command Center, as a last line of defense and to fulfill another part of the plan; namely shutting down the elevator when the call came. However, what he wasn’t entirely sure of was if the Command Center even had anything that was usable or reliable enough for what he was asking. Plus, while he was sure Gregg could reasonably defend himself with a phaser as needed, when push came to shove both Mourte and Bloish had far more training.

 

“I like the thinking Commander. From my understanding, the station’s systems are unreliable at best. We aren’t even sure that the internal sensors are fully operational in all areas. I also can’t afford to send two people to the Command Center for console access. However, you’ve got some time while we block off the areas that we need to. I suggest you use the Orion’s systems to link up to what you need, and set it up so it can work off a PADD or tricorder, if possible. We are going to need to be mobile while also getting fresh intel on the movements of our people and theirs.”

 

== tag Gregg ==


  • 0

#180 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.08 @ 03:04 (03:04 AM)

Benjamin was less than surprised that it was Beka who spoke up. He was surprised to hear she was a field tech in addition to her other training, but that didn’t phase him. “I can do more for you than sit at the back and wait for the shooting to start. Please, put me to work. I don’t need to be protected any more than anyone else.”

 

He couldn’t help but let a sigh escape as she paused for a moment, though he could tell she wasn’t done. Her second point, at least, was a valid one – she didn’t actually know where she was supposed to go. He pushed a couple of commands on the padd as she finished asking.

 

“To your second point,” he started, “the map has been pushed to everyone’s tricorders and is waiting for you. More directly, just take the lift up two levels; it opens directly to the observation post.” He hiked a thumb over his shoulder towards the elevator doors. “Might want to hurry; that thing is slower than a Brikar in a gravity well.”

 

The easy business out of the way, he waved the three non-coms away and they went to collect the gear he’d ordered them to retrieve. Now, he thought, for the hard part. “As for the other: as much as you may not like it, getting ready for casualties is your work for now. You are the only medic for these twenty people, and if something happens and you’re not ready to help them, then as your team lead that is my fault. Not only that, but we’ve also got the Kazon that actually live on this station to think of, and I have no idea if you even have medical information for them.”

 

He lowered his voice and stepped in a bit closer, his shoulders sagging a little. “Listen,” he said. “One of the things I’ve had to learn the hard way is what it takes to be on a team. Sometimes, wanting to do something because you know you can isn’t what’s best. What’s best is doing a thing because no one else can.”

 

He smiled at her, head hung for a moment before he continued. “Were this a different scenario, without the threat of imminent death and mayhem, then I’d be more than happy to have the help. But it's not; you've got to be ready to help, and anything else going on is just a distraction.”

 

He took a step away and looked at Eli, nodding at her. “We’ve got a lot to do, and now even less time,” he said. “Go and get to work, and meet up in the observation post in 10 minutes.” That said, he turned and walked away from the other officers, heading off towards the explosives. PO3 Haysfer met him about halfway, holding a pair of satchels with plenty of explosives.

 

“You, sir,” he told the non-com as a smile spread across his face, “know how to make someone’s day.”

 

“Or ruin it,” the man said with his own eager smile. Benjamin just nodded at that and took one of the two satchels. Explosives on one shoulder, engineering kit on the other, he turned and led the way towards the landing bay and, potentially, ground zero for a battle.

 

Next time someone asks if I want to go somewhere, he thought, I’m going to be much more specific about where.


  • 0

#181 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22109.11 @ 09:31 (09:31 AM)

== Team Sweep ==

The sigh that escaped from Ben as her friend contemplated what Beka had said and offered, hadn't gone unnoticed. However despite the slight quandary that she now felt herself in due to it involving two of her closest friends. Eli was also aware of both time and the odds being against them. Knowing that this was the only plan they had and how things might have been different if the Kazon weren't minutes away from the station.

Leaving Ben to talk to Beka, Eli conversed with Ash quickly and quietly as to how to cover the four gantries and get to the observation post. With that covered and Ben dismissing the three non coms as he spoke more directly to Beka. Eli adjusted her rifle as Ben then looked at her and gave her ten minutes to get the job done and get to her final destination.

" Understood and I'll see you both up there soon" she replied, wishing that she could say more. There would be an opportunity to do that later as she gestured for Ash to follow her. Walking was a luxury that they didn't have as the two security officer's grabbed as many explosives and remote detonators as they could, before moving off to the first gantry. Working in unison to plant each explosive strategically, then carefully tuned them in, before going to the next location.

== Tag Team Sweep ==
  • 0

#182 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 452 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.11 @ 17:51 (05:51 PM)

== Team Sweep ==
 
There was a nod from Beka as she was told about the maps being pushed out. She wasn’t carrying a tricorder at the moment - they were stuffed into the case with her medical kit a few feet away - but she would be able to grab one shortly. 
 
The rest of what Elias had to say… That didn’t go over so well. Sydesh did her best to keep a guarded expression on her face, but there was no hiding the spark in her eyes and the almost burning desire to speak out and argue her point. Which made what she did next all the more surprising, especially to those who knew her well. 
 
She swallowed, and then she nodded again. 
 
“Understood sir,” the redhead said. The spark in her green eyes flickered for another moment and then it was gone.
 
I don’t agree with this at all. I think sticking me up out of the way just in case, is a waste. I don’t see that we have anywhere near enough engineering resource to be sidelining me. But no matter how much it sticks in my throat, it’s not my decision to make. And me making a scene about it here and now harms the team, it harms our chances of success, and it makes absolutely ******* sure I don’t have a career the moment we get back to the ship. 
 
So I’m gonna be a big girl. I’m gonna do my best to make this work. And I’m gonna prove that I’m someone Elias and everyone else can count on.
 
“Before I go though,” Beka added. “I need to give you this.” She unclipped the last of the barebones medkits from her belt and handed it to Benjamin. “The Captain asked me to make sure that any non-Security officers had basic field trauma kits. Hopefully you don’t need it. I’ll try and get a basic triage set-up going in the obs point.” 
 
Seeing Eli walking past, the doctor gave her friend a mock salute and an impish grin before she headed off to grab her kit from where she’d left it near the access point to the shuttle. Beka picked out a tricorder and then easily slung the heavy case across her broad shoulders, waving away Runadi’s offer to help, before making her way to the pile of kit that the Security officers had brought over. 
 
Sydesh hefted one of the rifles in her hand. She felt decidedly uneasy about carrying it, but the orders had been very clear. She had training and knew how to use the weapon, therefore she had to carry it. 
 
“Doc, are you sure you know how to use that?” Runadi asked. 
 
Beka handed her smaller case of provisions to the Security crewman so she had both hands free. Quickly and efficiently she rattled off a full set of checks and drills with the rifle, finishing with the ejection, check and reinsertion of the charge pack before she slung the weapon over her shoulder. 
 
“Yes, I know how to use it,” the doctor said simply, her voice curiously flat as she forced a couple of charge packs into her hip pockets. “I live with an armourer and I get called up for Security drills, so I got trained. Final certification is pending but I passed the first stage. Come on, we better go call that elevator and get in place.” 
 
She took her case back so that Runadi could gear up, before the two of them went and summoned the ancient lift. Normally Sydesh was the first to keep things light-hearted with jokes and wise-cracks but she was silent as she waited. 
 
Things are getting very real, very fast… I don’t feel much like a doctor, carrying two guns and wearing body armour. But then again, that’s entirely my own fault. I was so determined to be counted as a combatant that that’s precisely what I look like now. The Kazon aren’t going to look at me and think ‘healer’. A wry smile settled on her lips. Who knew actions have consequences...
 
The lift arrived and Beka boarded with Runadi. The doctor opened up her tricorder and downloaded the map that was waiting for her, and when she got off two levels above, she found the observation point without any issues. Stepping into the open space, her nose was assailed by the unfamiliar smells of Kazon meals, and then the sharp and horribly familiar tang of human vomit. 
 
“Oh for ****’s sake,” she murmured under breath. “Which idiot did that…” 
 
As Runadi went to carry out her orders, Sydesh laid down her two cases and her rifle. One of the doors was a rudimentary supply closet so she could clean up the mess one of her team-mates had left, then she stacked the plates and bowls off in the far corner and pulled together the tables so that they gave a series of flat surfaces wide and long enough for a person to be laid down on. A rummage in her medical gear yielded a surgical scrubber, and with a couple of tweaks to the settings she was able to start to decontaminate the furniture as she waited for the inevitable call to action.
 

  • 0

#183 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.13 @ 02:35 (02:35 AM)

>> Medical Complex >>

 

The high-pitched hum of the transport beam sounded and the slight, purple-haired figure of Robin Mayfair appeared a short distance away from Captain Crawford. She was carrying several medpacks slung over her shoulder and an an evidently heavy bag that she set down awkwardly on the deck. "Reporting for duty, Captain," she said with a bit of embarrassment. "Doctor Tyrol sent me back after Alken was secured." 

 

The reality of the situation struck her. They were likely going to be in combat in a very short time. She'd never fired a phaser at anyone. 

 

This is the Borg Worldship all over again. Sometimes I think I have a screw loose. If Doctor Tyrol hadn't told me to come back I would have asked her.

 

The young nurse, less than a week out of the Academy and just having gotten her Midshipman pip, had volunteered to serve on one of the starships heading into combat with the biggest threat the Federation had seen in decades. She didn't have to. There wasn't an expectation that officers who hadn't even finished their cadet cruises would be aboard for what was quite possibly a suicide mission. But they had needed medical personnel, desperately. And so the Augment had ended up on the Artemis as it headed into battle. Her rash decision to volunteer almost got her killed on her first mission.

 

But she'd survived, and even thrived aboard the ship. She felt far more confident than she had (a bout of self-pity this morning aside), and was already the ship's Head Nurse and a Lieutenant JG. It might end up only being a temporary assignment, but the promotion was real, and she was determined to prove that she could handle pressure. 

 

The nurse took a breath. It looked like they were splitting up into teams, and some were already moving out. She waited for Captain Crawford's response. 

 

== Tag Tyra ==


  • 0

#184 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2536 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.13 @ 03:17 (03:17 AM)

== Team Strike ==
 
As Prassn began to gather the tricorders, Tyra began to don the gear that Brid had brought for her. It felt weird to put on body armor that wasn't fitted specifically for her; not only did it not go on the same way, it didn't move the same way. She found herself grimacing slightly at the range of motion limitations that came from ill fitted armor but ill fitted armor was better than no armor. Fortunately, it seemed that Brid had lent her the paramedic's back-up battle belt, which was set up very similar to her own. It even had the same holster attached to it, which fit her handgun perfectly. Her magazines didn't fit quite right in the slots as the handgun wasn't standard issue but she was able to make it work. Her secondary weapon was a little harder to fit in without the holster on the armor but she made do by modifying a standard ankle rig. She was just finishing up with the modification when a heavy bag was dropped at her feet rather unceremoniously.
 
She looked up in surprise at the grim face of the Viking queen herself, her normally stoic features etched into a harsher frown than usual. "Who did you bring today?" she asked as she looked over her shoulder, her frown deepening slightly.
 
"Val, though I'm starting to think I should invite Nemesis on every away team with my current bad luck," she said, offering Brid a twisted grin that the blonde Nord only halfway returned. The blonde still seemed distracted by something near the lift, her blue eyes shifting back and forth. "What's wrong? I figured this would be the kind of **** show the blood of your ancestors would be screaming for..."
 
Now, Brid did chuckle. "This is the type of **** show that will lead me to the Great Hall so you'll hear no complaints from me." Then, Thorsdottir crouched down to match Tyra's stance as the redhead dug through the long gun's case. "The doc... the loud mouth, whistler one... is she... is she certified with a rifle?" The question was asked in the gravest of voices, the blonde's face set just as gravely.
 
Tyra paused in her preparations, clearly processing the question before her head came up and her eyebrow arched in question. "I haven't seen the paperwork, if she is.... do I want to ask why?" The way the redhead asked, her lips pulled into a slight grimace suggested she knew exactly why already.
 
"Well, she just got on the lift with Ru carrying a rifle like she was ******* Rambo. Normally, I wouldn't give a damn if someone wants to get themselves killed because they think they're something they're not but... well, Doc Quinn still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, boss."
 
Tyra winced at the mention of Tabitha Quinn. There had been no love lost between Tyra and the arrogant, know it all CMO on the Gettysburg; the doctor, while capable, had been utterly insufferable. It was likely that arrogance that had led her to placing herself in a position to take a shot to the forehead in the middle of an all out battle but regardless of what had led to the recklessness, Tyra understood the feeling of responsibility that fell on security officers during such situations. It was the same weight that would likely fall on their shoulders should any of the non-security officers fall, even those not acting recklessly. Unfortunately, if their only doctor was toting around a rifle she wasn't certified for, Tyra had doubts that the doctor actually had any intentions of remaining out of combat. And a dead doctor was a ******* useless doctor.
 
The redhead pulled her hands back from her rifle, placing them on her knees. "Can you finish prepping Val for me?"
 
Thorsdottir didn't answer verbally and instead, just reached for the rifle. With Val in great hands, Tyra pushed herself up to her feet and looked around the area, her eyes quickly locking on her intended target. Coleman was standing with Gregg as his team gathered gear much like hers was, and she made a beeline towards him. She tapped him on the shoulder and motioned for him to step away from his team so that they could talk briefly.
 
"Maybe I should have been more clear about who needed what gear and what each department's role is/isn't, but a very reliable source tells me that Sydesh has taken it upon herself to acquire a rifle for her use. Unless I missed her certification coming across my desk, she's going to get herself killed with that thing by putting a target on her back when it doesn't need to be there. Frankly, I already had concerns about whether she could actually stay true to her duties as a doctor and not revert to a combat medic and this... well, I have a feeling I was right to be concerned. If I wanted a combatant with medical skills, I would have asked for more paramedics, not medical personnel."
 
"Unless I'm mistaken, get someone to reacquire that rifle before I have to write another letter home filled with creative writing to cover another doctor getting themselves killed because they think a little training made them soldier," she said, her tone having grown in exasperation as she spoke. She didn't give Coleman much time to answer, popping the outside of his shoulder in a familiar manner that was usually used as a good-bye between security officers, before retreating back towards Thorsdottir, who was in the process of checking Val's optics.
 
She reached Thorsdottir around the time that Prassn reached her. She took custody of Val and finished the checks of the weapon as Prassn reported on the status of the tricorder. As Thorsdottir disappeared towards her assembled team with Smite, Tyra quickly spoke to Prassn, ordering that he and Kasl go with Briggs to begin setting up on part of the sensor net while she and Reyva work on the other side. The human Lt JG nodded before grabbing PO2 Garomh Kasl, the Tygarian EOD specialist and moving towards Briggs.
 
With, hopefully, all the fires put out, Tyra quickly set about rendevouzing with Reyva and gathering their needed tricorders before heading out into the base. It was critical that they set up tricorders in strategic locations to allow them to monitor movements of both their own people and their opposition. Primarily it was to ensure that the Kazon were not able to sneak around them, either through the tubes or on upper levels. Tyra had mapped out on the PADDS which areas each team was suppose to be setting tricorders in with Briggs and his team focusing on the tubes around their anticipated combat area while Tyra and Reyva worked on the areas above the combat area.
 
They were actually making great time, working as quickly as they could given the time crunch, when they hit a snag on the last tricorder they needed to place in Zone 5. It just wasn't connecting to the other tricorders and they had already placed the rest of their tricorders in Zones 4 and 6. Tyra had looked at her chronometer with a sigh before admitting that they would need to grab more tricorders if they wanted to keep going with the time they had. Reyva had volunteered to continue working on the faulty tricorder but Tyra had not been willing to leave the combat medic crouched in a tube away from reinforcements in case time ran out while Tyra was gone. Instead, they had agreed to return to the main rally area, knowing that they had accomplished as much of their mission as they could. Each deck was covered by, at least, a handful of tricorders in the main access points and it had been a hard earned battle based on how sweaty the two were as they descended back to the main deck.
 
"Double check you didn't lose anything in the climb and then, make sure Ramius and Cage finished up their task," she ordered Reyva as her blue eyes began to survey what preparations she could see from in front of the runabout. Fortunately, everyone seemed to have a job and seemed to be busy. That was good news, at least, and she needed all the good news she could get.
 
"Reporting for duty, Captain," Mayfair said with a bit of embarrassment. "Doctor Tyrol sent me back after Alken was secured."
 
The voice she immediately recognized as Mayfair's almost sounded angelic, as if the heavens had opened and fate was finally smiling down on her for a moment by providing her with another medical personnel. She turned to regard the purple haired woman, her expression likely one of pleasant surprise before shifting into a more thoughtful set.
 
Thank you, Jas.
 
She paused for a moment as she considered what to do with the nurse. The knee jerk reaction was to send her to triage with Sydesh but a second more of consideration marked that as a foolish idea. Not only might Sydesh pull the nurse into unnecessary danger but there was greater need for the nurse elsewhere. As it stood, they had no framework between the paramedics and Sydesh in triage. Likely the security officers on Sweep could manage transporting the wounded from the field to triage but who was stabilizing the injured immediately? It was unlikely to be the paramedics if this battle became as frantic as Tyra suspected it would. Admittedly, that put Mayfair closer to the combat than most medical personnel would be comfortable with but Tyra felt Mayfair was suited to the environment without allowing it to sway her to stupidity.
 
"You're going to be assigned to Team Smite under Coleman's command," she said after coming to the decision.
 
She turned so she could fully face Mayfair, her expression serious and her tone equally so. "Smite is a combat unit with a paramedic attached. You will be their medical support but you are not a combat element. You will not be on the front line. The paramedics are trained for this and will do everything they can to get the injured off of their point of injury, aka the X, and to you. Your job is to leave the fighting to the soldiers and focus on keeping them in the fight if possible. If not possible, you stabilize them and coordinate getting them to the triage point Sydesh is setting up. Do you understand?"

  • 0

#185 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.13 @ 12:43 (12:43 PM)

The Captain turned, her face having a pleasant expression.
 
Despite herself, Robin had been a bit worried she's be shipped right back to the Artemis with a reprimand for not staying where she'd been told to go. She was grateful that wasn't the case. Not only that, but Tyra seemed genuinely pleased she was here. The redhead paused for a moment, thinking.
 
"You're going to be assigned to Team Smite under Coleman's command," she said after a brief moment. 
 
Team Smite? The teams have names? That is so cool. 
 
"Smite is a combat unit with a paramedic attached. You will be their medical support but you are not a combat element." Robin nodded briefly as she spoke. "You will not be on the front line. The paramedics are trained for this and will do everything they can to get the injured off of their point of injury, aka the X, and to you. Your job is to leave the fighting to the soldiers and focus on keeping them in the fight if possible. If not possible, you stabilize them and coordinate getting them to the triage point Sydesh is setting up. Do you understand?"
 
Beka was my replacement? That's good. Of course, now I get to worry about her and Eli. 
 
"Understood, Captain," the young JG said firmly. 
 
More than understood. The average Kazon could probably break me in half. I have no intention of fighting, and I'm keeping my head down. 
 
The thought was immediately followed by a darker one.  Yeah, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. I'll just have to stay on my guard. 
 
"I have extra supplies for anyone who needs them. A few medkits in case you're short, water, things like that. Is there anything else I need to know? I'll get going if not." The nurse set half the kits down next to the water bag, lightening her load considerably, and pulled out her tricorder. The away team had already uploaded maps and she spotted Coleman's icon. She'd spent some time memorizing the station's schematics before she'd left for the ship, so catching up wouldn't be an issue. 
 
She noticed that the Captain was wearing armor, as were the other team members nearby. 
 
Should I ask for some? The purple-haired Augment dismissed the idea. It'd just slow me down and get in my way, even assuming they have any that fits me. I'm way faster without it, and if I have to do a conduit squeeze it might even get me killed. I won't use it unless the Captain insists. 
 
== Tag Tyra ==
== Heading out to meet Coleman if there's nothing else ==

  • 0

#186 Cdr Edward Gregg

Cdr Edward Gregg

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 1266 posts
  • Acting Chief Science Officer
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22109.13 @ 17:06 (05:06 PM)

== Team Smite ==

Before Coleman could respond to Ed Beka handed Ed a basic medkit. Apparently non-Security officers on each of the teams were to be equipped with a basic medkit. He’d never really used one of these since the Academy, but he was relatively familiar with their contents. He nodded his thanks for the medkit and tried to figure out where to put it.

Two phasers were starting to feel like overkill for Ed, but he wasn’t going to be outgunned or caught short. He hooked one onto his left thigh, the tricorder just ahead of it and the other onto the underside of the satchel than held the engineering kit and his PADD, and slung it left to right. He slung the medkit strap right to left. At least he was only back up. There’d be stuff he could do, just not over do, that was good.

Coleman didn’t seem confident in the technology on the station. If it predated the Picard era there wasn’t anything he could do, it probably hadn’t received the kind of maintenance that would be common to Starfleet and time was really against them. The suggestion of using either the PADD or the tricorder gave him a idea. Why not both? He’d seen a Chief Engineer manage to hack a security drone with a tricorder and some rather fancy programming. This was different, but he might have a way.

“That could work, Lieutenant. Thank you.”

Ed attempted to pair the PADD to the Orion’s computer. If that worked out he would link up the tricorder and get it to populate the map on detectable bio-signatures. He could use the transmission data from the Away Team’s comm badges to correlate with the lifesigns and at least identify who he was in range of.

Ed hoped the locals were well hidden. If he did detect them he hoped he could mark them as friendly before whatever passed for a boarding or raiding party arrived. The computer would process the information from the tricorder through the PADD connection and act as a routing hub providing the data to anyone else who had a PADD. He hoped there was a tricorder with each group as it would spread the range of the sensor net he was attempting to create. Once he was sure that it would work he’d contact the other teams. He’d find out soon enough.

== GM input request, does Gregg succeed in linking his PADD to the Orion’s computer? ==
  • 0

#187 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.14 @ 02:27 (02:27 AM)

==Team Sweep==

 

The slog out to the landing area was quicker than he’d thought it would be; part of that was because they were double-timing it, of course, but for some reason his sense of scale was all off on this station. But he wasn’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth, especially not right now when time was of the essence. Besides, if I tried to right now I’d likely get bitten instead knowing my luck.

 

There were dozens of barrels set up, crates and barrels stacked with what he had found listed in the computer earlier. Each of them held a lot of useful equipment and materiel, and the part of his brain that remembered he had some major repairs to complete on Artemis was trying to calculate what was there and how useful it would be.

 

“Where should we set up this booby trap, sir?” Haysfer said next to him, hefting the bag on his shoulder pointedly and bringing Benjamin back to the present.

 

Oh, he thought. Right.

 

He had a job to do, and while it was likely that he was going to need some of what was in here he couldn’t let that be his guiding factor here. After all, they needed to survive first, and then they could worry about fixing the Artemis. So, instead, he tried to figure out an answer to the man’s question.

 

“That,” he said aloud but at least half to himself, “is a very good question.”

 

He set to looking around, and tried to picture it as a Kazon coming in on a shuttle. He didn’t know how big their auxiliary craft were, or if they’d be trying to get everything in one go or not. Honestly, he was just hoping they weren’t planning on using transporters or else this would all be for nothing. But fortunately, the layout of the tribute provided a decent answer.

 

“No need to get too tricksy about it,” he said and set off towards the closest of the crates. “This half of the room has been left mostly open, likely for whatever shuttle the enemy is going to bring with them. And if I were a crew that was bullying people like this, I’m not likely to worry too much about trying to cherry-pick through all of this stuff: I’m just going to grab the closest thing and lug it aboard first.”

 

He looked around the crates closest to the probable landing zone, and found what he was looking for. “However, we can afford to be a little choosier than they will.” He set his own satchel down and showed Haysfer the crate, which drew a smile.

 

Neither of them could read the label, however the lid of the crate wasn’t exactly latched well and they could easily see the contents: a variety of fusion power cells, likely for weapons or other portable equipment.

 

“Nasty stuff to just leave sitting around,” Haysfer said as he started to pull out the explosives. “Would hate for something to happen to them.”

 

“Oh, definitely,” Benjamin deadpanned as he started removing some of the power cells to make room to work. It took a couple of minutes to get to the bottom of the box and set up the explosives there underneath everything. He set the detonator to a quick activation frequency and made a note of it on his tricorder before pairing it to the explosives and finishing the installation.

 

Moments later, they had gotten the crate just like they’d found it – cargo tantalizingly shown off by the half-removed lid – and retreated towards the lift. As they left, he tapped a few commands and sent the trap’s activation frequency to both Tyra and Coleman like they had agreed, so that any of the three of them could set it off at the right time if needed.


  • 0

#188 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.14 @ 03:46 (03:46 AM)

==Team Sweep==

 

==Crewman Runadi Palar, Bajoran Security==

 

It took all of Palar’s strength to not barf as soon as the doors opened to the observation post she and Sydesh had just arrived at. She half heard the doctor curse under her breath but couldn’t focus on it, much less form a cogent reply. In fact, had she attempted, the Bajoran felt she was likely to add her own breakfast to… whatever the mess in the floor here was.

 

Without a word, she skirted the edge of the room and went to the windows as she’d been instructed. She quickly set down her equipment – a small satchel of explosives, her rifle, a pair of medical equipment bags, and a small bag of miscellaneous equipment – and knelt at the front of the room for a moment as she tried to get her stomach back under control.

 

You’re wasting time, she scolded herself, running a hand through her short, red hair to try and remain calm. Get up and get to work!

 

She swallowed and did what she always did when her mind ran along that train of thought – she clasped her hands together and felt the missing finger on her left hand.

 

For a moment, she was back in training. She’d been so competitive with the other specialists at Explosive Ordinance training, and just knew she was better than they were. She knew that she could do it faster and better, and she had been right. All the way up until she wasn’t.

 

A single exercise had been all that was between her and graduation from the program, weeks and weeks of training culminating in a final exam. She had already watched many of her classmates do it, and they did fine. She knew she could do better, and so had set herself a challenge to do it within thirty seconds when the fastest anyone else had done it was forty-five.

 

At twenty-eight seconds, and nearly complete, she had mistaken one circuit for another in her haste and the device had detonated instead of disarmed. While it was a live device, it was fortunately only a training charge. She was in hospital for two weeks, and had lost the middle finger of her left hand. Despite having the ability to get it repaired, she had refused as she wanted to keep the reminder of what happened. Needless to say, she had been washed out of the program, as well; oddly, that was the part that stung.

 

Determined, however, Palar had fought and scraped her way back into the EOD training course. It nearly claimed her career, but she managed to get back into the program and graduate this time. Her scores were only middle of the road, but she did them safely and without error. “There’s no prize for getting done first,” her instructors continued to say, and she wished she had listened to them the first time.

 

Her stomach finally under control – whether due to the reminder of her duty or the fact that she was taking shallow breaths through her mouth instead of her nose Palar wasn’t sure – she started to unpack the small explosives she’d brought. She gave a few moment’s study to the windows at the front of the room before affixing the explosives to them strategically.

 

The brief she’d been given mentioned that the room only had two egress points – the lift being the primary one, and then a small hatch that led to the maintenance tunnels which was too small for most full-grown humanoids to get into. While easily defensible, it did cause problems for any group that was in here; to wit, if the enemy was coming up the lift, there was nowhere they could go.

 

And if they had wounded, as seemed likely to be the case, that was going to be a problem.

 

The solution, then, was to make the windows overlooking the landing bay into an emergency exit. Explosives on the windows to blow them out – the glass going to the bay and not into the observation post to protect any wounded – and then ropes to help people escape. Of course, ropes would be well and good for the mobile and for any able-bodied defenders, but for anyone unable to walk that would be less than useful.

 

She placed the last explosive and began working on the solution to that. She unfolded a stretcher, snapping the pieces together to make it rigid, and then got the first length of rope. Since the stretcher was not one designed to be hoisted by rope like would have been used by aircraft, she had to improvise by first tying a bowline on a bight, making a pair of loops connected to a central knot that was extremely sturdy. Survival training had called it ‘the rescue knot’, and the doubled variety she’d just tied had been used to form makeshift climbing harnesses during training.

 

Here, she took either loop and put it around the ends of the stretcher, where a person would normally carry it, and then proceeded to tie another. It’s not pretty, she thought, but it should be stable enough to lower someone down with. She smiled as she looked at her handiwork, and proceeded to get the rest of the ropes in place at the windows before settling in with her rifle, performing some last-minute maintenance and adjustments before all hell broke loose.


  • 0

#189 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22109.14 @ 09:43 (09:43 AM)

== Team Sweep ==

Two gantries down and now onto the third, Eliana powered on, aided and abetted by the energy boost that Beka had provided. Knowing that she had to keep moving and avoid the inevitable adrenaline crash because she couldn't afford to let it happen. There would be time to deal with any fallout later as it ultimately boiled down to life or death and she wasn't about to leave Liam a widower or Liam an orphan. Her family, friends and why they were doing this ticked over as a reminder, nestled happily in the recesses of her mind as she set the next explosive.

Pairing it against her tricorder and counting another as complete, before moving onto the next one. The system that her and De Fonto had come up with through their earlier hushed conversation was working well and they had soon found a rhythm that did the job without any delay or mistakes.

Spreading out to double their efforts and sure there was the odd uttered curse, but Eli found that she didn't need to apologise or be embarrassed by letting it out as opposed to keeping bottled up. She was also very aware of the time, the minutes either speeding up or slowing down. At least that's what it felt like as they finished and rushed to the fourth and final gantry.

More cursing followed with one slightly stubborn device but taking a deep breath resolved that issue. Reprimanding herself silently for wasting time they didn't have but eventually everything was set and the two of them headed for the lift. Only stopping when they reached it, Eli took a second to catch her breath, ignoring the protest from her muscles as she activated her comm in order to update all relevant parties about their now completed task.

[McKenna to Teams Smite and Strike, explosives have been planted in all four gantries leading away from the landing bay on the main level. They've been tuned in and ready to go, McKenna out]

Closing the comm and hoping that the lift wouldn't take forever. Eli waited impatiently for it to arrive and when it did, got inside before the door fully opened.

== Tags to Smite & Strike ==
  • 0

#190 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2536 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.16 @ 14:32 (02:32 PM)

"Understood, Captain," the young JG said firmly. 

Tyra paused to consider the nurse for a moment longer, seemingly weighing the response. It had been firm and resolute, lacking the flippancy she'd expect to see if the order wasn't actually understood. She also believed Mayfair understood her limitations in this situation.

"I have extra supplies for anyone who needs them. A few medkits in case you're short, water, things like that. Is there anything else I need to know? I'll get going if not." 

"I'll take one of the medkits," she answered. Her normal rig had a small medkit attached via mollee to it but this wasn't her gear. However, it'd be useful for buddy aide if things went in that direction.

"As for anything else, we're setting up sensor nets to be able to track everyone. We're setting up traps so be careful if your team advances forward."

"Make sure you've got power packs for your pistol. If you're comfortable, get armor. If not, just get over to Coleman. Good luck, JG," she said, adding the last with a nod of the head.
  • 0

#191 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.16 @ 16:57 (04:57 PM)

"I'll take one of the medkits. As for anything else, we're setting up sensor nets to be able to track everyone. We're setting up traps so be careful if your team advances forward."
 
"Yes Ma'am, Mayfair answered briefly. 
 
Taking one of the kits, Robin opened it and did a very quick visual check to make sure everything was there. Ordinarily procedure required her to go over the contents of the pack, activate the medical tricorder to ensure it was functioning, and make sure the recipient didn't have questions. There simply wasn't time, and the Captain had a million things to do. "Everything is there." She handed the kit over to Tyra.
 
"Make sure you've got power packs for your pistol. If you're comfortable, get armor. If not, just get over to Coleman. Good luck, JG," the Captain said, nodding her head.
 
"Thanks, Captain. Good luck to you too." And with that the young nurse picked up the remaining supplies and headed out. She stopped briefly to pick up a couple of extra packs for her phaser from the available supplies and then kept going, ignoring the armor entirely. As she moved she handed water bottles and medkits to the crew she encountered who wanted them. Most already had supplies, but some either wanted more or wanted backups, and she was more than happy to hand them out. By the time she reached Coleman's position she was down to one extra medkit and a couple bottles of water. 
 
"Nurse Mayfair reporting, sir. I've been assigned to your team to serve as medical support."  Aside from Coleman and Gregg she didn't know anyone on the team, and even the two officers she only knew by brief interactions. "Can you tell me who your assigned paramedic is?" 
 
== Tag Damian and Edward ==

  • 0

#192 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.18 @ 03:57 (03:57 AM)

==Team Sweep==

==Note: Timeline spoken of here is for Sweep only; Strike and Smite may be on separate timelines at this point==

 

Benjamin and Haysfer came up to the lift doors and he smiled and nodded to both Eli and to De Fonto. If nothing else, he was glad that the young non-com hadn't gone completely trigger happy and shot his friend, even though he couldn't think of a scenario where she would have needed to. Sometimes, he thought, power just goes to the head. He saw that Eli was waiting on acknowledgements and waited until they came in before he spoke to her, though.

 

"I assume everything went well?" he asked. He hefted his own empty satchel, formerly full of high explosives, as a way of showing what he was talking about. "We got the landing area trapped as best we could in the time we've got left ourselves." He was getting nervous about the time factor, especially as he noticed that nearly ten minutes had gone by since he had briefed everyone near the runabout. Time was about to run out on them, and he wasn't sure if they were going to be ready.

 

Not that we really have a choice in the matter, he reminded himself. The padd in his bag called to him for a moment, but he pushed the thought away. Knowing where the Kazon ship was wouldn't actually help him be more confident about things; it would just make him more and more nervous.

 

He'd never really been one for deadlines, even in his youth. He'd always try to get his work done early so that it was finished and out of the way when in school. Of course, part of the problem was that, since he was practically raising his younger brother and sister, he had to have time to help them with their homework, as well as do things around the house. After they had all left the house, it had backfired some more: engineering wasn't exactly a profession where you could finish your work and take it easy or relax. No, there was always something more that needed doing. Finished calibrating the fusion induction matrix? Well, now the plasma manifolds on deck 14 needed a complete rebuild, the replicators in junior officer country need a tune-up, and something was buzzing in transporter room three that was driving the operator around the deep end.

 

As a result, he was unfortunately keenly aware of just how much they had really needed to do before the enemy arrived, and how little of it was likely to get done on time. He fought to keep his artificial eye from futzing on him, and was relieved when the lift finally showed up. "Do you think you're ready, Eli?" he asked as they all entered, and waited for the damned thing to eventually take them where it was going to go.

 

==Tag McKenna==


  • 0

#193 Lt Eliana McKenna

Lt Eliana McKenna

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 774 posts
  • Security Team Leader
  • USS Artemis, EX-11000
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22109.18 @ 09:44 (09:44 AM)

== Team Sweep ==
 
The arrival of Ben and Haysfer was a welcome sight to Eli as she waited for the acknowledgements from Strike and Smite. Glad to see that they had made it this far without the instant reminder that this was the proverbial calm before the storm. When Ben then enquired as to whether her and Ash's task had went well. Eli was immediately honest with the CE. " Apart from a couple of well chosen curses, it did and they're all in place" she replied, before Ben appraised her of how it had gone for him and Haysfer. " That's good and I know what you mean" she acknowledged, knowing that she didn't need to mention how little time they had left.
 
Pulling off what they had just accomplished in a quarter of the time, had been nothing short of miraculous in Eli's opinion. Of course she wished they could of carried more devices but at least they should hopefully get the message across when the Kazon showed up. Once inside the lift properly and the doors closed behind the others. Eli silently contemplated their next steps as Ben then asked if she was ready.
 
Was she ready?, she thought to herself as she thought about her friend's question. There was no doubt that she was trained to do this and had done everything she could to aid the defence process. So yes she was and had been mentally preparing herself from the minute, that the Captain had called them together. " Yes I'm ready or as close to it as physically and mentally possible" she admitted truthfully. Now they just had to rely on this slightly archaic service lift to get them to where Beka was setting up the triage area.
 
If she thought it was slow before, it seemed even slower now that they needed to be somewhere a lot quicker and faster with very little time left to them. Willing it to move in an attempt to funnel off some of her pent up frustration and siphon some of the adrenaline. A warm up to further enable her mind to be clear for the impending fight.
 
== Tag Ben ==

  • 0

#194 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.19 @ 01:26 (01:26 AM)

== Team Smite ==

 

“That could work, Lieutenant. Thank you.”

 

Damian nodded to Edward with a smile, happy to have given an option that might work. It wouldn’t just be helpful for Gregg to succeed, it would be a force multiplier for them, and they would desperately need that as outnumbered as they were likely to be. He was about to step away when he felt a tap and saw the head tilt from Tyra to follow.

 

Coleman could have growled when Crawford pulled him aside, and he listened to what the Captain was concerned about. It wasn’t something he figured that he would have to monitor: the gathering of personal equipment. Though now evident, it was also something that he didn’t have time to focus on himself. The team absolutely needed to get to work. Time wasn’t something that was on their side, and Smite needed as much of it as possible to facilitate creating enough dead-ends, choke points, and kill zones to make their defense of the station a success.

 

“Understood,” was all Coleman could get out before she gave him a pat on the shoulder.

 

Moving away at a fast walk, the Chief of Security found his team finishing up on gathering needed equipment and ordnance from the crate. On one hand he was happy to see the team readied, but on the other Damian was frustrated at having to send one of them away on a go’fer quest. Between all of them, Mourte was probably the one that would need the most guidance in setting up traps and doing any demolition work.

 

“Mourte, c’mere for a second Crewman,” he said just shy of the group.

 

“Listen, I need you to double… no, triple-time it up to the observation point where Sydesh is setting up triage. When you get there, I want you to liberate the phaser rifle she is carrying from her, and return it to the runabout cache. Orders are direct from the CO, and you can tell Beka to contact Crawford if it is an issue. No time to waste. Go.”

 

With that done, he headed back over and grabbed some of the equipment himself from the crate. It wasn’t long before Coleman found himself interrupted again. Though as he turned, he was surprised to see who it was.

 

“Nurse Mayfair reporting, sir…”

 

Damian smiled with a raised brow, wondering who it was looking after Alken.

 

Thank you for another pair of hands Jas, he silently thanked the CMO for sending Mayfair along.

 

“…I've been assigned to your team to serve as medical support. Can you tell me who your assigned paramedic is?"

 

“Mayfair, good to have you along. Thorsdottir is our paramedic, so you’ll want to be teaming up with her. We are going to be blocking pathways initially, and you can help by carrying supplies. Grab Thorsdottir, get armored up, and then grab a pack. We are going to move out, so you’ll need to hustle. When you make it back to me, I’ll go over what it is we’ll be doing during the battle, and my expectations.”

 

Looking to the rest of the team, after sending Mourte away, and then sending Thorsdottir with Mayfair, it was just Bloish with Damian.

 

“Guess it is just you and me to start, but we have no time to waste. Let’s go.”

 

== tag Mayfair. I’m still unrecovered from being ill, apologies for the wait. Thank you to Elias who’ll be covering Mourte for me. ==


  • 0

#195 Lt Benjamin Elias

Lt Benjamin Elias

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.19 @ 03:54 (03:54 AM)

==Team Smite==

==Crewman Mourte, Denobulan Security Enlisted, Male==

 

“Listen, I need you to double… no, triple-time it up to the observation point where Sydesh is setting up triage," Coleman told him. "When you get there, I want you to liberate the phaser rifle she is carrying from her, and return it to the runabout cache. Orders are direct from the CO, and you can tell Beka to contact Crawford if it is an issue. No time to waste. Go.”

 

Outwardly, the only reaction that the taciturn Mourte gave was a nod, a slight widening of his already large eyes, and a half-run half-jog towards the turbolift. Inwardly, Mourte was very confused. Why did the medic have a rifle in the first place? He knew that she had done some work with one of the security teams a little while back, but he hadn't been involved and so could only assume they had been standard cooperation drills, nothing more. Also, why was it the captain's concern how individuals were armed? He also knew that Crawford had some very exotic pieces in her collection - many of which he would have given his second and third wives for the chance to test them on the range, much less own - so some variation in kit seemed to be more standard on Artemis than it was odd.

 

Of course, if she didn't have certification for a rifle, then the medic didn't need to have one, especially in a combat situation. And both Coleman and Crawford would know that better than I do, he thought as he hopped aboard the already-present lift and took it up to the observation post, keeping his own rifle shouldered.

 

Finally, the doors opened, and Mourte looked around the observation post. He nodded to Runadi as he saw her working on some explosives at the front of the room, before letting his eyes sweep on around to Sydesh herself. He frowned, as it appeared that she was cleaning the area. There was a lingering scent of... well, he didn't know what it was, but he was glad the scent was merely lingering instead of being fully present, as he thought it likely that it would have tried to murder him if the scent had been full-force. Fortunately, she had set her rifle aside, along with her limited medical supplies, and Mourte walked over to it and picked it up.

 

"Coleman told me to come and take this back to the runabout," he said as he hefted the rifle and turned back to the lift. "Orders from Crawford. Sorry." He added a tiny shrug and a smile, but stepped onto the lift before much of anything else could be said. For once, the decrepit slowness of the lift worked in his favor, as it had only begun to close from his arrival once he stepped back aboard.

 

As he rode it back down and then ran back to the runabout, he tried to clear his mind and prepare for the ordeal ahead. As he set the rifle back in the cargo crate it had come from and ran to rejoin the LT and the rest of the team, he looked at his chronometer and sighed. Not even five minutes for that round trip, he thought, but it was still five minutes I didn't have.

 

==Tags to Coleman and reaction tag to Sydesh. Feel free to curse Mourte's name as you wish.==


  • 0

#196 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.19 @ 14:53 (02:53 PM)

“Mayfair, good to have you along. Thorsdottir is our paramedic, so you’ll want to be teaming up with her. We are going to be blocking pathways initially, and you can help by carrying supplies. Grab Thorsdottir, get armored up, and then grab a pack. We are going to move out, so you’ll need to hustle. When you make it back to me, I’ll go over what it is we’ll be doing during the battle, and my expectations.”
 
Robin paused for a moment. The Captain hadn't expected her to wear the cumbersome armor, but it hadn't occurred to her that the Security Chief might. Understandable. It was his job to help keep her alive. 
 
"Thank you, sir. Umm... permission to not wear armor?" She wasn't going to fight him on that, of course, but she had to at least ask. "It'd slow me down considerably. I'll stay back and under cover." She wasn't sure if Coleman knew about her enhancements, nor the fact that her slight frame and lack of physical strength meant she'd struggle to wear the bulky gear. The young Augment preferred to move fast and light. 

== No worries about the wait. Believe me, I understand. ==
== Tag Coleman ==

  • 0

#197 Ens Beka Sydesh

Ens Beka Sydesh

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 452 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.21 @ 22:35 (10:35 PM)

== Team Sweep ==
 
Beka had set about building the makeshift infirmary with a near-total focus, keen to take her mind off the impending fight. Even as she bodily hoisted another heavy table over her head, muscle standing proud on her bare arms as she lifted, the doctor knew she was probably wasting her time. No plan ever survived contact with the enemy. It seemed inevitable that any treatment needed would have to be administered somewhere else and anything set up here would never be used. 
 
Right now though, I don’t care. I’d rather be ready, she thought to herself as she lowered the table into position. If there’s even a chance that this will help someone then I have to do it.
 
The vomit had been cleaned up, although the smell lingered due to the lack of anything to get rid of it. There had been enough tables to form 3 ‘beds’ and the medical cases had been set up with ready access to the different types of kits depending on need. Sydesh had the surgical scrubber in her hand to clean up the last set of tables when the lift doors opened.
 
Ginger eyebrows were raised as a Security crewman appeared and pretty much literally ran away with the rifle she’d been ordered to take, his words so rushed that Beka could just about make out the names ‘Coleman’ and ‘Crawford’ before the lift doors were closed again. She certainly had no chance to say anything before the man was gone.
 
No idea what that was all about… she thought as she got back to work. The order was very clear. If you have rifle training, take a rifle. Every time I’ve dared question an order around here, someone’s appeared from the shadows and tried to rip my throat out, so I followed the order. And now apparently that was wrong too.
 
She sighed loudly.
 
This is a ship and crew so heavily militarised that the nurses are ordered to carry sidearms and the science officers run around in full body armour. A doctor being told to carry a rifle absolutely is an order that would believably be given around here. And if they don’t like that, well… It’s not me they should be going after. The culture on board ship is one of the few things I can’t be blamed for. Although I’m pretty sure the likes of Morgan would try anyway.
 
There were times Sydesh felt like she fitted in on Artemis, like she was practically part of the furniture. And there were times where she felt like a spare part that nobody particularly wanted around, least of all her. She’d never completely banished that little voice in the back of her mind that told her she wasn’t Star Fleet material, and took every opportunity to tell her that even if she found her lost family they would never embrace her until she’d ditched the uniform. And right now that voice was really loud, no matter how much she ignored it.
 
With little else to do, Beka pulled over a nearby chair, scrubbed it and sat down. She reached out to the supplies case and plucked out a ration bar that she wolfed down, before deciding to check her kits again.
 

  • 0

#198 Lt Damian Coleman

Lt Damian Coleman

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.22 @ 03:22 (03:22 AM)

== Team Smite ==

 

“Thank you, sir. Umm... permission to not wear armor?"

 

Coleman came to an immediate halt and came about in quick fashion. He had a moment to think about the initial request, and the expression on his face was of one brow dug downwards, and the other extended up in a sort of puzzled surprise. Making eye contact with Throsdottir, Damian made a motion with his head that said ‘move on ahead without us’.

 

Then, he quietly listened and considered the rest of the young nurse’s request. It felt like an odd request to him, especially considering that what they were going to encounter wasn’t going to be just a light firefight. Robin had just come back from the Artemis, so perhaps she didn’t realize the potential intensity of the upcoming encounter. Then again, her frame was compact compared to him, as he stood a full foot above her…

 

Plus, I probably have almost a hundred pounds on her or thereabouts, Damian thought after she had finished making her case.

 

It was Coleman’s turn to pause, and his hands reflexively reached up to grab the top of his body armor while half of his body slumped slightly to the right. He looked down to the floor for a couple of beats, giving himself time to go through his thoughts on things. There was a slight sigh, and his left hand reached up to rub his pate.

 

If it were the Artemis, he wouldn’t even consider issuing her armor, but that was because he wouldn’t expect her to be patrolling corridors or defending sensitive and strategic areas. In fact, if it were the ship, Robin would probably be plenty busy without having to worry about any of that. She wouldn’t be in the fight to begin with.

 

On the station though, things were different. The chances of her encountering a Kazon off-the-hop was low, but not zero. The security officers on the team would be doing everything that they could to ensure that; but sometimes the enemy did slip by. The other side to that was stray shots too. Even if Mayfair wasn’t getting targeted, if she was helping someone, a shot out of the blue could hit her. He supposed that if she stuck to cover and access tubes, it wouldn’t be an issue.

 

Access tubes. Having the armor on would make it harder to move through them if needed.

 

Finally, Coleman looked directly at Mayfair as his hand dropped back to gripping the edge of his chest armor.

 

“I understand your concerns,” he gave her a pained smile, “but the safety of everyone here is one of my top priorities. One stray shot without armor and Lieutenant Commander Tyrol will be forcing me, potentially at gunpoint, to write your ‘Star Fleet regrets to inform you’ letter for your next of kin. Grab at least some chest armor, though I’d prefer if you had a helmet too. We’ve got a little bit of time before the Kazon arrive. If you find that it really is interfering with your ability to move, let me know and I’ll reconsider things.”

 

There was a slight pause to allow for a rebuttal from Mayfair, but his body language showed that Robin would need to walk and talk if that was the case.

 

== tag Mayfair ==


  • 0

#199 Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.22 @ 22:28 (10:28 PM)

It didn't take a telepath to figure out what Coleman thought of Robin's request. He gave Thordottir (an imposing woman who Robin thought looked like she came straight out of Der Ring des Nibelungen) a gesture to move, then turned back to the young nurse. She caught his slight sigh. 

 

“I understand your concerns,” the Security Chief said with a pained smile, “but the safety of everyone here is one of my top priorities. One stray shot without armor and Lieutenant Commander Tyrol will be forcing me, potentially at gunpoint, to write your ‘Star Fleet regrets to inform you’ letter for your next of kin. Grab at least some chest armor, though I’d prefer if you had a helmet too. We’ve got a little bit of time before the Kazon arrive. If you find that it really is interfering with your ability to move, let me know and I’ll reconsider things.”

 

The Augment nurse wanted to argue. To explain. To try and convince him otherwise. She reluctantly had to concede his point, though it grated at her. And he was at least willing to compromise, probably against his better judgement. But it was his comment about having to write a letter to her next of kin that slapped her hard.

 

They don't even know I'm in Star Fleet. 

 

When Robin had run away from her home colony she hadn't left so much as a note, intentionally, so as to slow down any pursuit until she was safely off-planet. It still pained her that she hadn't even tried to contact them since then, but she was terrified of their reaction, of rejection. The longer she put things off the worse she felt, and now she was halfway across the galaxy facing a band of Kazon marauders on a beaten old space station. 

 

And that is NOT going to be how they find out. 

 

She paused, then let her shoulders slump slightly. She wasn't going to fight it. "Understood, sir. I'll get some and catch up with you doubletime." She kept her voice neutral. All she could hope was that they had something that would fit her slight frame. 

 

And that that was that. Robin moved quickly over to the supply crates and opened the top of the one marked 'Armor.' There wasn't much left. It seemed to be a one-size-fits-most deal, so she grabbed a chest piece and awkwardly strapped it on. To say it didn't fit was putting it mildly. She tightened the straps as best she could, feeling the weight of the thing already. It jabbed her uncomfortably under her arms.

 

If anyone laughs I'm going to saw off the limb of their choice. I swear, if I survive this mess I'm going to get a custom set of this stuff made, one that actually fits and doesn't make me look like a stuffed turkey.

 

She took a helmet from the crate next to the armor. Thankfully it wasn't nearly as bad, and at least it wasn't particularly heavy. She even found, to her surprise, that it didn't hinder her vision. With that she grabbed her bags and moved quickly, or as quickly as she could, to catch up to Team Smite. She still had to talk with the Valkyrie. 

 

== Tag Coleman ==


Edited by Lt (JG) Robin Mayfair, Star Date 22109.22 @ 22:58 (10:58 PM).

  • 0

#200 Capt Tyra Crawford

Capt Tyra Crawford

    Member

  • Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2536 posts

Posted Star Date 22109.28 @ 02:29 (02:29 AM)

== Team Strike ==

The smoke hung in the air, the weight of the humid air giving it buoyancy. Each breath seemed to drag it into the lungs like a earthy, smokey cigar. If Tyra stopped her work long enough, she could see the glow of the fires lick at the sky over the top of the jungle canopy to the south. Whether the fires had been set by the advancing Romulans or in a panic by the forward defensive units, Tyra didn't know but she suspected it would be at her feet before she knew it.

Behind her, her own camp was illuminated by flashing and swinging head lamps as her men frantically worked to build barricades. The few who weren't laboring away at that task were shouldered with the far more grim task of rigging explosives through parts of the camp in a last ditch effort to ensure the Romulans wouldn't make it through the camp without heavy casualties. It was a scorched earth tactic of their own, not unlike the fires.

They were in a no-win situation. The Romulans were advancing and the powers that be had decided this Hell hole on the edge of the DMZ wasn't worth its weight in blood ant longer. The civilians had been evacuated as the forward operating units had fought tirelessly but their numbers were dwindling. They soon would crumble, allowing the Romulans to march forward to her current position. It would then become her men's responsibility to hold that line while the field hospital was evacuated, a potentially impossible task.

It wasn't the first impossible task she'd been given in her career but the same couldn't be said for her men. Most of them were young enlisted, barely able to grow facial hair and prohibited from drinking in certain jurisdictions, but the great losses of the war had pushed them to the frontline. She hoped they'd have the chance to grow up to become men, men capable of leading units and warriors into battle, but whether they did or didn't rested on her shoulders. Her decisions mattered.

"Here. You'll need this more than I will," the voice was gruff as a silver object was thrust in front of her, pulling her attention from the dancing lights.

The flask hung in the air between them like the smoke as she stared at it, her fingers trembling ever so slightly as they unclenched to take it. It felt like there was finality to the gesture that she didn't like, as if there was an understanding that this impossible task might be too impossible.

Steve looked extra somber in the flickering lights, his normal scowl just a little harder under his scruff. She supposed he didn't like his current orders either, overseeing the hospital evacuation while the units under his command fought for every inch and second with the price weighed out in flesh.

[Foxtrot-7 is reporting that the fighting is now three sectors away.]

"You need to go, now. The faster you wrap up the evacuation, the faster I can withdraw my men," she said, her voice tired and worn. It had been weeks of fighting for ground only to give it up.

"We'll shoot off a flare when we're clear. I'll make sure there's aircraft in the LZ for your evac," he answered with an assurity that she just didn't feel.

"If we can't hold that camp, our fall back point is 200 yards back. That's where our last stand will be...don't make us use that barricade," she requested, though she knew he wasn't the one she needed to bargain with.

The weavers were the ones in charge of interning and threading Fate's wishes and they were the ones she should have been negotiating with. However, like always, they were nowhere to be found when needed...


As her blue eyes had taken in the status of her own team, her hands had unzipped the front utility pocket on her vest out of habit. However, instead of a familiar silver good luck charm, a tourniquet filled the pocket because it wasn't her vest. It didn't have scorch mark on the shoulder from Carraya or the nick in the magazine holder from Outpost 10. The only thing of hers was Val, who was slung carefully along her back, and her pistol. She supposed they were the more critical pieces, if the Rogue Planet had taught her anything.

Her nose crinkled slightly at the memory before she pushed it back with the others. Now wasn't the time to dwell on the impossible tasks of the past but the one currently at hand. Her team, all three parts of it, had wrapped up what they could in the short time they'd had and she could only hope the same could be said for the other teams.

"Crawford to Elias and Coleman. Our prep time is up -- get your teams in their combat positions and give me a sit rep on what we managed to get done."

== Tag to Strike and Elias/Coleman

For Team Sweep, with Matt's recent RL adventure and likely sleep deprivation , Aaron and I will work to provide guidance as needed! ==
  • 0