#1 Lt Xenara Xardeen

Lt Xenara Xardeen

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 691 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Geronimo, CR-75250
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22110.16 @ 11:47 (11:47 AM)

https://www.youtube....h?v=7oGtgbsmmg8

Apparently it's NOT CGI, nor is it Augmented Reality or VR. 

The applications for this are almost endless.

Edited by Lt Xenara Xardeen, Star Date 22110.16 @ 11:50 (11:50 AM).

#2 Lt (JG) Asfar Farhat Alturkia

Lt (JG) Asfar Farhat Alturkia

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 438 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22110.16 @ 21:38 (09:38 PM)

It's a lenticular mirascope.

If you understand how a mirascope works with two parabolic mirrors that make an object seem to float in the air at a fixed reflected focal point, but then have billions of them in an array, each projecting the same image but at a slightly different angle to the last one like those rulers you used to have in the olden days with two images that changed when you change the angle of the ruler, but all still focused at the same point.

So small a change that you can't percieve it, but it's enough to fool your eyes into thinking you're looking at one thing.

When the lady put her hand into the image, that was the same thing that happens when you try to grab an object in a mirascope.

The angled panels that is the clue that it's lenticular, meaning you only really see a tiny part of the image at a time and your brain fills in the gaps as you move to the next microscopic angle.

#3 Lt Xenara Xardeen

Lt Xenara Xardeen

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 691 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Geronimo, CR-75250
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22110.16 @ 23:14 (11:14 PM)

It's a lenticular microscope.

If you understand how a microscope works with two parabolic mirrors that make an object seem to float in the air at a fixed reflected focal point, but then have billions of them in an array, each projecting the same image but at a slightly different angle to the last one like those rulers you used to have in the olden days with two images that changed when you change the angle of the ruler, but all still focused at the same point.

So small a change that you can't perceive it, but it's enough to fool your eyes into thinking you're looking at one thing.

When the lady put her hand into the image, that was the same thing that happens when you try to grab an object in a microscope.

The angled panels that is the clue that it's lenticular, meaning you only really see a tiny part of the image at a time and your brain fills in the gaps as you move to the next microscopic angle.

Well poo. Still, it's as close as we'll probably get in our lifetime to an actual sci-fi hologram. Further still, lots of fun could be had with the technology.

Edited by Lt Xenara Xardeen, Star Date 22110.16 @ 23:15 (11:15 PM).

#4 Lt (JG) Asfar Farhat Alturkia

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 438 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22110.17 @ 07:13 (07:13 AM)

One of the biggest problems we have today, is that we as a people, haven't actually invented anything new as such in probably more than a hundred years now.

Everything we have that people think is new and ground breaking, is more often than not, just an updated thing that we've been using for years. :(

(ps. I like the way the quote box managed to spellcheck Mirascope and turned it into Microscope. :D)

#5 Lt Xenara Xardeen

Lt Xenara Xardeen

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 691 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Geronimo, CR-75250
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22110.17 @ 11:37 (11:37 AM)

One of the biggest problems we have today, is that we as a people, haven't actually invented anything new as such in probably more than a hundred years now.

Everything we have that people think is new and ground breaking, is more often than not, just an updated thing that we've been using for years. :(

(ps. I like the way the quote box managed to spellcheck Mirascope and turned it into Microscope. :D)

That was my bad. lol Stupid spell checker didn't know is was correct.

#6 Cdr Alexander Talion

Cdr Alexander Talion

• First Officers
  • Pip
  • 2699 posts

Posted Star Date 22110.26 @ 03:45 (03:45 AM)

It's a step in the right direction, but we can't even create an interesting interactive program yet, so I'm not betting it will be turned in to a hologram yet. Give it a few more decades. Cool images though.

#7 Mid Gabriel Finch

Mid Gabriel Finch

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted Star Date 22111.08 @ 20:46 (08:46 PM)

Did any of you all play this game back in the 90's?

https://www.youtube....b_channel=Rerez

To this day, I've always wondered why more wasn't done with this tech. I'm sure it was ahead of it's time as the technology likely couldn't push it past what this game did. But when ever I very rarely see this arcade cabinet, I have to play it.

Edited by Mid Gabriel Finch, Star Date 22111.08 @ 20:46 (08:46 PM).

#8 Lt (JG) Asfar Farhat Alturkia

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 438 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22111.08 @ 21:13 (09:13 PM)

Did any of you all play this game back in the 90's?

https://www.youtube....b_channel=Rerez

To this day, I've always wondered why more wasn't done with this tech. I'm sure it was ahead of it's time as the technology likely couldn't push it past what this game did. But when ever I very rarely see this arcade cabinet, I have to play it.

That tech is basically Peppers Ghost. https://en.wikipedia.../Pepper's_ghost

If you take a look at this video, https://youtu.be/6OjKO_5BcPo You can see how to make a basic version using your phone, some plastic and some other videos off of youtube.

But the biggest problem with these things, is they need to be almost in the dark or in away from bright light to work best.