Jump to content


Photo

PH/D01 - Bridge


  • Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.09 @ 22:16 (10:16 PM)

==The Bridge of the USS Philadelphia is a roughly circular room located at the bow end of Deck One. The walls and carpet are standard Star Fleet beige and grey, while freestanding consoles are trimmed in faux chrome to meet 25th-century aesthetic.

 

On the foreward wall of the Bridge rests the holo-viewscreen system, which can be activated vocally or via manual input from any console when required. Immediately aft of this is the Helm console which sits on a slightly raised platform, flanked by the Tactical station to the pilot's right and the Operations station to their left. These stations can be easily reconfigured if required in an emergency.
 
Moving back, another step up leads to the command area. The Commanding Officer sits on the right, the First Officer on the left. Between them is a large multipurpose terminal, and both chairs have smaller terminals built into the armrests. Captain Braggins' chair has been modified from the standard to include storage for a sidearm and a beverage cup holder. An auxiliary station is positioned directly behind these chairs on a railing.
 
The rear area of the Bridge begins with the Deck One access points that flank the command area. Beyond these doors, a bank of three consoles lines each wall; Science on the left, Engineering on the right. The very rear of the Bridge is taken up by the Master Systems Display.==


#2 LCdr Peter Jensen

LCdr Peter Jensen

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • First Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.15 @ 20:28 (08:28 PM)

Peter felt that his place was on the bridge, as the new arrivals were about to come onboard, and it was standard procedure to report to the bridge to report in. He didn't know where the Captain was, so it was up to him to receive the new transfers. He was very much still settling in to his very new position as First Officer. And to Braggins of all people. This, he had not seen coming. But he would take it. He knew he could do a lot of good in this position. If nothing else, restrain the most dangerous of the impulses Braggins apparently got from time to time.
He wondered if that had been the reason she'd appointed him: That she had enough self-awareness to see that. Or if it had been a "keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-situation instead.

Regardless, here he was, and he was going to be the best possible FO he could be.

He sat down in the First Officer's chair and waited. Technically, as far as he recalled, he could take the center chair when the Captain was absent from the bridge, but...he felt no need to. It would feel like stolen valor, and he'd only have to get up from it when she did arrive on the bridge, just underlining the relationship between them.
So he remained in the XO's seat, and started looking at status reports, inventory reports, and many other such things. The days where all he had to worry about was the duty roster of a small security staff were over.

 

Security...he thought. For some reason that was beyond him, their new incoming COS had decided to scrap the existing Security personnel in favor of an entirely new one. Was that because she preferred to pick her own people? Or didn't trust the existing personnel? In any case, this had not endeared her to Peter at all, nor the Captain for going along with it. It was as if she had no idea that a ship is a well-oiled machine in more than the literal sense, and that on a ship the Philadelphia's size, no one simply blended in with the background and became almost anonymous to the crew at large.
The loss of Scofield had hit the crew, he was certain of that. And now the wholesale transfer away of the Security staff in exchange for new people who didn't know the ship or its crew. He was struggling to find a legitimate reason for such a move, but came up empty. He was looking forward to seeing what the explanation was.

 

It had better be good.



#3 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.18 @ 18:12 (06:12 PM)

Maggie had finally looked at the paperwork that she had been avoiding. Stuffed into cramped, temporary quarters on the USS Jupiter, she was surprised she had even been given a desk. She hadn’t submitted the paperwork yet, though it was all signed (finally), and now she was on board the Philly, about to report in. 
 
I’m pretty sure Philadelphia itself is about a million times bigger than this ship. She thought ruefully, stepping out of the turbolift. She hadn’t gotten any more information about the ship’s previous mission, just that they had been assigned first contact, there was an attempted coup, and the ship still managed to fire on the planet for some reason. Even using her Command-level codes, the full briefing of Jenny Braggins’ mission hadn’t been made open to the rest of Starfleet yet. 
 
She carried with her the PADD that held her orders, though she knew such a thing was superfluous. In one of the two center chairs sat a man, not a woman, and Maggie furrowed her brow. Oh, right. She reminded herself. First Officer Jensen. Captain Braggins must still be getting her butt handed to her.
 
The Bridge itself was a skeleton crew, much like the rest of the ship. Or is this how it’s like full time? Maggie couldn’t help but wonder. Two hundred and thirteen feet. She couldn’t stop herself from thinking, over and over again. If someone sneezed in Engineering, could they hear it in the Mess Hall?
 
“Commander Murphy,” she said, coming to stand in front of the blond man. Right away, she realized her mistake. She had taken a rank cut for this job, after all. Damn favors. She closed her eyes for a moment, taking a sharp breath through her nose. “Lieutenant Commander Murphy. Reporting.” 
 
She was in uniform, but that was about it for her official-ness. Hair in its usual side-braid, dog hair probably showing on the black portions of her uniform, and of course, she hadn’t changed her pips yet, either. If she had been a Cadet, she would have reamed herself out. 
 
 
==Tag Jensen!==


#4 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22205.18 @ 19:08 (07:08 PM)

After the long confinement of the Jupiter's 'guest' quarters, the freedom to walk the corridors of the Philadelphia were a welcome treat.

 

Maz had made herself familiar with the layout of the ship in the time trusted way that all new personnel did. She'd flicked through the manual a couple of times, and intended to just ask the computer for directions until she was familiar with where everything was.

 

Her first call after transporting over, was her quarters which she was apparently sharing with two or three others. The joys of smaller ships, she mused as she dumped her duffle and pulled out a fresh uniform so she could introduce herself with dignity to the FO or officer of the watch on the bridge.

 

As she headed to the bridge, she stopped off at sickbay to book her standard medical. The nurse took the details, and Maz continued on her way.

 

The final turbolift run only took a couple of seconds. But it was enough for her to close her eyes, calm her nerves, and focus on the one things she had studied. The bridge layout. It was where she was going to be serving most of all.

 

The doors parted and the bridge was revealed to her for the first time. To her left was the Operations station and just beyond that, the helm itself with the large viewscreen dominating the front wall. To her right were the auxiliary and science stations that curved around the rear of the bridge. And in the centre were the two command chairs with two figures. One seated. One standing.

 

Commander Murphy and Maz assumed from the red of his uniform, Commander Jensen.

 

Murphy must have just arrived as she was still introducing herself as she handed the man a PADD.

 

Lieutenant Commander Murphy. Reporting.”

 

Lieutenant Commander? I thought she was...

 

Maz held back and waited for the two senior officers to finish their conversation before she made herself known.

 

Discretion is the better part of valour.

 

Once it was clear that they were done, she said; “Sir. Ma'am.” Nodding to both of them. “Lieutenant Theresa Black. Helm Officer, reporting for duty.”

 

 

== Tag ==

 



#5 LCdr Peter Jensen

LCdr Peter Jensen

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • First Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.18 @ 19:18 (07:18 PM)

Peter was reading an armory inventory report when Murphy arrived. It was technically the new COS' job, but he also needed something to occupy his time, and this seemed as good a thing as any. He stood up casually when she approached him, and reached out his hand for the PADD containing her orders. He read it, and nodded.

"Welcome on board, Leftenant Commander", he said formally, handing her the PADD back, and deciding to not make an issue of her mistake. At least not that one. He'd read that she'd taken a rank cut in the file he'd been sent of the new transfers. Why she'd do that to serve on...well...this "skiff made of paper" as one of the fathers of the American revolution is supposed to have said about the act of signing the Declaration of Independence, Peter could not figure out. Especially not when she'd been CTO of a starbase. Going from that to...this would seem like a punishment to most people, Peter included.

While he wasn't about to make an issue of her misspeak, he frowned as he saw the state of her dress. That was not a minor slip-up.

"Though I'd have appreciated it if you'd paid a bit more attention to your appearance at least when you reported in", he said quietly enough so that he was certain the bridge crew going about their business didn't hear him. "Senior staff is supposed to set an example for the rest of the crew", he pointed out, his own uniform clean and sharp, his hair cut short.

"Please go take care of that before introducing yourself to your department", he said calmly. "Oh...and...make sure you correct your pips too", he gestured to her collar. He was not happy at all, but neither was he furious. It would take a bit more to get him to that point now, unlike when he was fresh out of the Academy.

Then Peter heard another voice, looked in the direction, and after Black had introduced herself, it took a moment before he'd regained his composure enough to answer professionally, as he reached out his hand for the PADD containing her orders, like he had for Murphy.

"Leftenant Black", he said calmly. "Welcome onboard as well. Please get your things unpacked, and then get acquainted with the Philadelphia's helm. Now is the time to do it, before we head out", he pointed out. There was something obviously very very wrong about her being anywhere near a starship, let alone its bridge. But, his was neither to make reply or to reason why. She'd been assigned here, and that was the end of it. He had a nagging feeling that reached all the way back to his first away mission where Pond had made him take the traitor along, and it had cost an innocent pilot her life. He was determined to not make that mistake again, and his eyes had - without him having meant to - narrowed somewhat as she spoke, and he spoke to her.

"If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, dismissed", he said, mostly to Black.

== Tag :D ==


Edited by LCdr Peter Jensen, Star Date 22205.18 @ 19:35 (07:35 PM).


#6 Lt. Emily Sloane

Lt. Emily Sloane

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • U.S.S Philadelphia FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.18 @ 19:55 (07:55 PM)

The bridge of the Philadelphia was... ordinary. Federation ships tended to look like that. All the same. Same corridors, same layout, same amount of dull. Sometimes she wished she was back on the Endeavour. At least then the rooms had had some variety to them, rather than the more uniform design Star Fleet implemented.

 

Coming off of the Jupiter had been a relief, the ship was clearly not designed to be anything more than a massive freighter, and while Sloane was more than at home on freighters, that one had been cutting it close in terms of space for people to live. The Philadelphia was far smaller, yet it simply felt less crowded than the Jupiter had been. Maybe it was due to the lack of space dedicated to cargo and shuttles. 

 

She'd slipped out of her civilian clothing and into a Star Fleet uniform a few minutes after arriving, hair done up in a tight bun now. Having spent several minutes attempting to get the uniform somewhat tidy, she was happy to present herself to the XO. Uniform almost immaculate, she'd stepped into the turbolift to the bridge minutes later, slipping the black glove over her right hand. While she wasn't at all concerned by it, the sight of the metallic replacement did tend to startle others nearby.

 

The doors swished open to show her that several people were already on the bridge. Aside from a skeleton crew, Commander Murphy and Black were both on the bridge already, both facing a man in red who Emily assumed was the XO of the ship. 

 

"-Have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, dismissed", The man said, seeming to look at Black as he said this.

 

Emily stepped out of the turbolift and moved towards the two centre chairs. "Lieutenant Sloane. Reporting for duty, sir."

 

==Tags==



#7 LCdr Peter Jensen

LCdr Peter Jensen

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • First Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.18 @ 20:04 (08:04 PM)

Peter turned towards the third arrival when he heard her voice, and smiled approvingly. He did not outright say to Murphy "Look! That's how it's done", but he thought it, and had to almost physically restrain himself from saying it.
He did manage to, however, and nodded as he reached out his hand for her to give him the PADD with her orders

"Welcome, Leftenant", he said with a smile. "I've read your file, and I think you'll make a fine addition to the crew. Having someone with experience in going to war with the army you have and making it the army you want, so to speak, is going to be invaluable", he said, referring to her growing up on a freighter and learning a lot of what she knew about engineering from there, as well as the theoretical knowledge of Starfleet Academy.

 

"Once you've gotten settled in, please go see Leftenant Hydish in Engineering", he instructed. It was clear that she had made a much better impression on him than the others had.



#8 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22205.18 @ 20:30 (08:30 PM)

"Leftenant Black", Said the Commander. His voice measured. "Welcome onboard as well. Please get your things unpacked, and then get acquainted with the Philadelphia's helm. Now is the time to do it, before we head out. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, dismissed.”

 

It wasn't unexpected, Maz knew. But it never got any easier. It had taken months on her last posting to get over the feeling that everyone knew. And here she was again. Back to square one.

“Sir. Ma'am.” She said again taking a step back before turning her attention to the helm.

 

Hello, new friend. She thought as she allowed her hand to brush the control surface.

 



#9 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.19 @ 14:10 (02:10 PM)

She didn’t know why she thought she’d get any sort of respect. Maybe it was because she had been expecting Jenny Braggins, and had expected that Jenny Braggins would recognize Maggie’s age and rank, and respect that Maggie had served under her father for a time. But instead, she got Peter Jensen. Freshly-promoted Peter Jensen, who looked her up and down with disapproval, and then if that wasn’t enough, said as much. 
 
“...I'd have appreciated it if you'd paid a bit more attention to your appearance at least when you reported in.” 
 
Maggie had to control her facial expressions, keeping her jaw from dropping to the floor. 
 
“Senior staff is supposed to set an example for the rest of the crew.” Maggie felt her right eye twitch, and she instinctively brushed off the left thigh of her pants, where Piper had sniffed her goodbye. Jensen was lucky she was even on this little platoon boat, let alone heading up a department for him. She tried to reassure herself by thinking the man must not have known what strings were pulled to get her here. 
 
The man continued dressing her down. 
 
“Please go take care of that before introducing yourself to your department.” His voice was calm, but his words were another thing. 
 
“Oh...and...make sure you correct your pips too.”
 
She knew her eyes had narrowed on their own, she couldn’t control that now without looking obvious, and so settled for simply glaring at Jensen. Orders had come in to report to the ship at her earliest convenience, and so she had thrown on a uniform, transported over here, and had made haste to the Bridge. Next time, she wouldn’t be in such a hurry. 
 
As was her luck, Mazikeen -now going by Theresa- Black was right behind her, waiting to check in with First Officer CrankyPants as well. Maggie forced herself to walk away without a word, exchanging but a nod with Black as she checked in next. 
 
“Lieutenant Theresa Black. Helm Officer, reporting for duty.”
 
Helm, Maggie thought, her gaze almost burning a hole through the door she was approaching. Great. That means she’s mine. Great. She switched departments. Great. Maybe I’ll just go set up in my quarters.
 
 
>>Quarters>>


#10 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 1821 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • USS Philadelphia FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.19 @ 16:42 (04:42 PM)

Shione entered the bridge just as Commander Murphy departed, offering her a nod as they passed. The First Officer was still speaking with Lieutenant Sloane and as such the newly transferred Security Chief took the time to assess the bridge, keeping Jensen in her peripheral vision as she did.

 

Compact; well designed and looks quite efficient

 

 

She had deliberately waited to go last as she was also likely due for a briefing regarding her department, and Jensen might want to get into that.  I hope so, I am ready to get busy.

 

"Once you've gotten settled in, please go see Leftenant Hydish in Engineering" Shione heard the First Officer finish with Sloane and nodded to the Engineer as they passed.

 

She approached Jensen with care, he would likely see S'hiarra with whom he had not had the best of experiences and she wanted to ensure that fact didn't mar their relationship. After all she was taking over his former department and they had yet to even meet.

 

She didn't need to check her appearance as she turned to face him. Her uniform, hair and appearance were spot on with regulations. Shione had heard from her sister that Jensen was by the book, but that was neither here or there, Shione had served under Captain Fields for 7 years and she too was a stickler for procedure.

 

She spoke clearly, her facial expression neutral and professional; "Lieutenant Commander Shione Kurasa reporting as ordered; Lieutenant Commander Jensen."

 

She stood rigidly awaiting a response, keeping her focus on the First Officer's face.

 

==Tags Better late than never==



#11 Lt. Emily Sloane

Lt. Emily Sloane

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • U.S.S Philadelphia FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.19 @ 19:51 (07:51 PM)

The XO nodded to her, hand outstretched, presumably for the PADD she was carrying. She handed it over to him as he smiled and began talking: "Welcome, Leftenant. I've read your file, and I think you'll make a fine addition to the crew. Having someone with experience in going to war with the army you have and making it the army you want, so to speak, is going to be invaluable."

 

Sloane nodded. She puzzled out what he meant in her head for a second, before it clicked that he meant her time aboard the Endeavour.

 

Hopefully I can do just as well here.

 

"Once you've gotten settled in, please go see Leftenant Hydish in Engineering", The XO instructed. 

 

I think I made a good impression?

 

Sloane nodded again, saluting quickly before walking back towards the turbolift. As she got nearer the doors opened to reveal the Vulcan woman she'd met earlier aboard the Jupiter. This time however she was in security colours. The woman nodded as she passed, which Sloane returned.

 

She walked back into the turbolift and spoke: "Deck Four."

 

>> Crew Quarters >>


Edited by Lt. Emily Sloane, Star Date 22205.19 @ 19:51 (07:51 PM).


#12 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22205.19 @ 20:19 (08:19 PM)

== NRC – CM Scott Balfour – Human Tactical ==

 

Scott had been moving between the tactical station and the helm, going back and fourth ensuring that they were synced down to the millisecond. Real time information was key whether it was in a combat scenario, or simply negotiating spacedock.

 

So when the blond woman walked over after a very short conversation with the new FO, he became somewhat possessive of his stations he was charged with manning.

 

“Can I help you. Ma'am?” He asked as she approached.

 

The woman who was also wearing a tactical uniform and Lieutenants pips, gave him a smile, and said. “Hello, My lover.” In a high pitched voice with an accent that he had no idea who to react to even if she hadn't opened with such an odd statement.

 

“Um, Hello.” He replied.

 

The woman seemed to find it briefly amusing as she regarded his confusion, but when she spoke again, she still had the same voice, but this time, the words made more sense.

 

“Crewman. Lieutenant Black.” She she said holding out her hand. “I'm the new helmsman.” Then she leaned in close and said, “It's Commander Murphy over there you needs to worry about.”

 

She pointed to the other woman who was just leaving the bridge. “Compared to her, I'm a pussy cat. Now. Tell me all about what this ship can do.”

 

Scott was baffled and confused. Officers didn't talk like this. He glanced over to where Commander Jensen was talking to tow other women. An engineer and a security officer. Then back at the blond.

 

“Are you all right, Ma'am?” he asked.

 

“Never better.” Replied Black, still smiling. “Come on. I got to learn all I can before we get the order to warp out of here.”

 

Scott wasn't sure, but the security officer didn't look like she was coming to arrest the mad woman, so he made the assumption she was who she said she was.

 

“You activate the helm here, Ma'am.” He said bringing the panel online.

 

“Cool.” Said Black as she slipped into the chair...



#13 LCdr Peter Jensen

LCdr Peter Jensen

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • First Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.20 @ 17:43 (05:43 PM)

Peter was expecting their new COS any minute. And eventually someone did step through the door. He looked up and had to blink a couple of times to make sure his eyes weren't deceiving him.

What in the.....

 

He never really looked at the photos of transfers. He always said to himself that this was not a dating service, but a Starfleet ship. Appearance was irrelevant. Right now he wished he had looked, because oh boy was he blindsided.

S'hiarra....

 

Of course he knew it wasn't her, but then it had to be an identical twin or something. Nothing else explained what was going on here. He managed to get a grip on himself before she had approached him, and he held out his hand for the PADD with her orders, which were of course all in order.

"Welcome on board, Leftenant Commander", he handed the PADD back to her. "At your convenience, I'd like a word with you, but take the time to get your things moved over and get settled in. We can talk afterwards", he told her. He needed some time to absorb this too. And he needed, he had enough self-awareness to know - to do a lot of mental gymnastics and force of new perspective, to not treat her like his old...well...rival would be too harsh a word, but..."person who he couldn't stand back then"?



#14 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22205.20 @ 19:19 (07:19 PM)

== NRC – PO1 Rouse Bernie – Bajoran Tactical. ==

 

The doors of the starboard turbolift opened on the the bridge, and Petty Officer Rouse stepped out and over to the tactical station where she'd left Balfour to run diagnostics and maintenance. Since ch'Alev and Zhodarr had departed with the crew rotation, she and Balfour had been the only two tactical division operators left aboard, and she had found it at first daunting that she was effectively the acting CTO until Starfleet sent some actual officers to take over.

 

So when she saw Balfour showing an unknown blond woman the helm, Rouse felt like her feathers had been ruffled.

 

“Can I help you?” She asked approaching the pair.

 

Balfour looked up and stood a little straighter when he heard her voice. The unknown woman turned to face her with a smile.

 

“Watcher.” She said. “Lieutenant Black. Please to meet you.”

 

Rouse looked from Black to Rouse and back to Black. The accent was odd, but. “Um... Ma'am. We weren't informed you were aboard.”

 

Black replied, “I gets that a lot. Scotty here has been showing me the ropes. I'm guessing you're Bernie.”

 

“Yes, Ma'am. Rouse Bernie. Petty Officer 1st class.” Replied Rouse.

 

“So it's just the two of you then?” Asked Black. “Aside from Commander Murphy. We're the whole team?”

 

“Yes Ma'am.” Said Rouse and Balfour in unison.

 

Black looked over her shoulder where the FO was still talking with the security officer. “Look, you don't have to keep Ma'am'ing me. Just when the brass are around, but it's Theresa if you wants.”

 

This seemed to make Rouse relax a little. But not much. “Welcome aboard, Ma... Theresa.”

 

“Thanks.” Said Black. “Now. What can you tell me about the ship that Scotty can't?” She added with a smile.



#15 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 1821 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • USS Philadelphia FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.20 @ 20:57 (08:57 PM)

Jensen's reply was by the book, as expected

 

"Welcome on board, Leftenant Commander", he handed the PADD back to her. "At your convenience, I'd like a word with you, but take the time to get your things moved over and get settled in. We can talk afterwards",

 

"Thank you, Lieutenant Commander, once I have gotten unpacked, I will message you and perhaps meet in the Security office, or at a place of  your choosing Sir. "

 

She nodded in respect, before turning to head to the lift; "Till then Sir."

 

==Tag Jensen==



#16 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 1821 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • USS Philadelphia FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.21 @ 00:39 (12:39 AM)

Approximately three quarters of an hour after departing the bridge; the voice of the new Chief of Security came over the First Officer's comm. badge.

 

[Lieutenant Commander Kurasa to the First Officer. I am proceeding to my office and will be there for quite awhile. If it is convenient, I will be available to meet with you at your convenience, Kurasa out.]


Edited by LCdr Shione Kurasa, Star Date 22205.21 @ 00:42 (12:42 AM).


#17 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.22 @ 20:22 (08:22 PM)

While looking over her department -if you could call four people a “department”- there was also the option to see where everyone was. Maggie didn’t bother with it, since the Philadelphia was currently working off a skeleton crew, and didn’t want to be that “mothering” figure that just had to know where everyone was at every minute. The shot of whiskey still a lingering taste in her mouth, Maggie took her time looking over the ship, its specs, its crew, and its crew specs. It didn’t take her long, as looking at the information frustrated her.
 
Tactical Department count: 4
Engineering Department count: 10
Security Department count: 12
Science Department count: 8
Medical Department count: 6
Support Department count: 11
 
So, for a total of 51 people, not counting Command, we account for… not even ten percent. This is mostly a Security and Support ship… I guess there’s a reason my new roommate is a stuck-up…
 
Piper whined at the closed bedroom door, hearing someone come in and move around in the shared quarters, and Maggie stopped herself from out-right insulting the new Security Department Head, even if it was just in her head. I’m just sour because Jensen had to be an @ss. It had been a while since Maggie had taken her emotions out on people who didn’t deserve it, and she just hadn’t seemed to be able to shake this bad mood ever since finding out she was serving on a ship, and not on Earth. 
 
With a sigh that turned into a groan, Maggie had to admit that Jensen was right. She hadn’t bothered to change out of the uniform she had laid out on her bed earlier in the day, and there had been consequences. While those “consequences” had just been dog hair and an errant pip, they had still been incorrect choices for reporting to the Bridge. It wasn’t Jensen’s fault that he didn't know she had been specially-asked to be here, and was acting like she was doing everyone a personal favor. 
 
It was a request out of respect, Maggie told herself, putting on a freshly-replicated uniform, complete with the correct rank. Now act like you deserve that respect.
 
In the common area, it appeared her roommate had already come and gone, and Maggie replicated Piper a bone to chew on, and then went to brush her teeth and rinse with mouthwash. Chucking the peanut-butter-filled hard bone into the bedroom, Piper chased after it, not caring that Maggie was leaving her so quickly. Heading back to the Bridge, this time to have a better conversation with the First Officer, Maggie did her best to adjust her attitude. 
 
When the doors to the Bridge opened, the attitude took a slight left turn as she saw that the entirety of her department was there. She should have taken the time to see where everyone was, after all. Talking to Jensen will have to wait, she thought ruefully, observing that in the half hour she’d been gone, the ship was still in wide orbit of the same planet they had been for who-knows-how long. 
 
“Tactical Department,” she snapped, using the same commanding tone she’d used when corralling a pack of dogs. “On me!” She had no idea why everyone felt the need to be on the Bridge, especially with the ship operating at ‘skeleton crew’ rotations, and she had no idea where she’d lead them once she pulled them all off the Bridge, but clearly, her department needed The Talk. 
 
 
==Tags to Black… and the rest of us redshirts ;) ==


#18 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22205.23 @ 17:56 (05:56 PM)

Black, Balfour and Rouse were around the helm console. Maz was seated while the other two stood, leaning against it, when a voice from behind them said.

 

“Tactical Department, On me!”

 

Maz spun on her chair and stood up about half a second behind the other two. They'd all been busy going over the ships systems, and any of its little known foibles, so they hadn't heard the doors opening.

 

The Commander stood with a resting face like thunder. Maz had no idea what any of them could have done already to imbue her wrath, but her keen eye spotting a now black pip on the woman's collar gave her a possible inkling as to at least one possible reason.

 

 

== Tag back ==



#19 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.24 @ 17:18 (05:18 PM)

Entering the turbolift with three other people was a tight squeeze, and Maggie realized that her tiny department did not warrant, or have, a space of their own. 
 
Mess Hall? No. Too informal. Holodeck? Ship’s still on Shore Leave. Will have to be one of the Cargo Bays.
 
The moment of silence must have been awkward for the other officers, but Maggie was secretly hoping it kept them on their toes. 
 
“Deck Four.” She spoke, still sharply, but this time, to the computer. She could only hope that no one was using it, and if so, they would just have to deal with it. 
 
“Department meeting.” She told the other three, still staring straight ahead. When the doors opened, she simply instructed, “Cargo Bay Two.”
 
 
>>Cargo Bay thread>>


#20 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22205.24 @ 18:35 (06:35 PM)

Not a word was spoken as the three of them followed the CTO back into the lift.

 

“Deck Four.” Was all she said until they reached their destination...

 

>> Cargo Bay >>



#21 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1401 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22205.26 @ 00:37 (12:37 AM)

==NPC - Cadet Aeyla==

 

There were perks to assisting Lieutenant Sharp, Aeyla thought as she collected reports from the various consoles on the mostly-deserted Bridge; she got to roam the ship, visit with the different departments, and generally be an integral part of the ship in a way that was both understated and yet essential. Yet to declare her Major at the Academy, Aeyla wondered if maybe staying in the Logistics and Support Division and working her way up to Quartermaster, maybe even beyond that rank. If the officious, stuffy, and frankly rather racist Khumalo on the Jupiter could rise to command his own supply ship, so could she. Even if not, she'd be well-placed to someday own her own cargo or passenger business.

 

Just as she was collecting a status report from Petty Officer Amel at the Operations station, she heard an urgent beeping from the Science console. Currently vacant due to not needing a scientist on duty while in orbit, Aeyla glanced around at the other occupants of the Bridge. The helm was occupied by Petty Officer Laate who was running some kind of diagnostic, who glanced up with a puzzled look on her face. The Bolian at Ops glanced back at Laate, and the two shrugged and glanced at Aeyla - who by some twisted quirk of fate was technically senior officer on the Bridge.

 

Placing her PADD on Amel's console, Aeyla slowly moved up to the back of the Bridge and silenced the alert. The signature appearing on the screen was odd; a subspace variance and scattering of tetryon particles; it appeared to be moving towards them at faster-than-light speeds, and since there were no life forms capable of such a feat that Aeyla knew about, she assumed it was some kind of ship. Which was a problem, especially with no officers currently on the Bridge. Swallowing deeply, Aeyla opened a comm. channel to the only person she could think of in this kind of situation.

 

"Aeyla to Captain Braggins, could you come to the Bridge please? There's something on sensors I think you should see..."



#22 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.27 @ 01:03 (01:03 AM)

"Tyra says 'don't do it!'"

 

Jenny tried to be grumpy with her husband, whose words had followed her out of her quarters referred to a good-natured jibe following a famous incident aboard the Artemis during their return journey to the Alpha Quadrant; Tyra had left the Artemis to visit with the Colsos aboard the Luna, and her instructions for Jenny had simply been a PADD with the words "Jenny, No" on the screen. It had been a joke that everyone had laughed at at the time, but Jenny apparently still hadn't been cured of her impetuous (some would say reckless) streak. The words rang especially true today, given that her newest crewmember had disturbed her bath; not something many aboard would consider a move good for one's long-term career prospects. Or survival.

 

Hair still wet and uniform clinging uncomfortably to damp skin in the most unfortunate of places, Jenny entered the Bridge and tried not to fix the Orion Cadet with her most withering of stares. As it turned out, that would be a lot easier than she had first considered, as there were no actual officers on the Bridge. Petty Officers Amel and Laate hurriedly tried to look extra busy as they went about their work, and Aeyla seemed to go a paler shade of green as Jenny's gaze turned upon her. There wasn't time to wonder where the hell the officer of the watch was, and she made a mental note to 'gently remind' Jensen that he couldn't just wander off the Bridge on a whim now that he was First Officer.

 

We were all new once, he's allowed to make a mistake...so long as he doesn't make it again...

 

Moving to the station where Aeyla stood, Jenny frowned as she took in the readings. Subspace distortions and scattered tetryon particles on their own were nothing special when exploring deep space, but combine them, and things started to get sketchy. Combined readings and motion, and you suddenly had a problem on your hands. Though a pilot more than sensor operator or weapons officer by trade, Jenny's PhD had explored the use of sensor masking techniques and their flaws, and she knew there was a distinct possibility she was being faced with a cloaked ship approaching at warp speed.

 

Is the Dreamslayer finally showing herself? Or have we got a new player in town?

 

Jenny didn't like it. The Philadelphia was, by rights, fully functional and ready to go, but was currently trapped in a gravity well which she would need to navigate clear of before taking any action. Then there were the three support craft, none of whom were much use in a fight. Painful as it was to admit, the Philadelphia was the most combat-effective ship in the system, and if this was the Dreamslayer trying to enforce their own claims on the territory...the J'Shashian people would get to watch the Philadelphia dying well before being subjugated by the Klingon Empire.

 

Of course, maybe we'll get lucky. Maybe it's just a bunch of Pakled in a stolen ship that they just lost control of? We can compare hat sizes...

 

Not willing to trust her wish that this would, in fact, be nothing, Jenny descended into the command area and slid into her seat.

 

"Yellow Alert, Shields Up."



#23 LCdr Peter Jensen

LCdr Peter Jensen

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • First Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.27 @ 15:36 (03:36 PM)

Peter had hurried to the bridge, but once more, outside the door, he caught his breath, straightened his uniform, and then opened the door before entering and taking his place in the First Officer's chair.
Once he'd realized what was going on, he nodded solemnly. Likely the Klingons, sure, but he was not overly worried. The Klingons might be annoyed at what they might see as encroaching on Klingon space or snatching a planet within their sphere of influence.

But he very much doubted they'd be willing to go to war over the matter. Not with the renewed Borg threat. Still, Klingons were nothing if not volatile, and it was better to show them that you knew what they were up to, so raising the shields and going to yellow, not red, alert seemed the prudent course of action.

 

Right now the Captain seemed to have thigns in hand, but he was on alert, looking at his console



#24 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 1821 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • USS Philadelphia FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.27 @ 16:20 (04:20 PM)

The First Officer  had arrived ahead of her, but Shione was less than a minute behind.

 

Moving to the standing console the Chief of Security was content to wait for details on why the alert status was initiated.

 

Distracting the Command staff by asking for information would be counter-productive and so in keeping with protocol she simply reported;

 

"Security Officer reporting Captain."

 

And she waited...

 

==Tags?==


Edited by LCdr Shione Kurasa, Star Date 22205.27 @ 16:20 (04:20 PM).


#25 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1401 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22205.30 @ 22:49 (10:49 PM)

As the contacts closed, the emissions grew stronger; other readings indicated that whatever was approaching, its warp field was growing steadily more unstable. The Cadet still operating the science station mumbled to herself as she monitored the sensors and yelped as the unknown sensor contact turned from a series of odd readings into something more tangible as a warp field collapsed and at least one ship was unceremoniously dumped from faster-than-light travel into realspace. A slightly blue flash towards the edge of the system was visible, barely, on visual sensors, and seemed to confirm the initial report of a ship falling out of warp.

 

"Captain," Aeyla began, her voice betraying her concern. "I'm reading two Klingon Birds of Prey on sensors. Both appear to be heavily damaged."

 

At maximum magnification, the ships were still tiny specks in the distance, but the sensor feeds put together a convenient wireframe image of both ships. Both indicated evidence of weapons damage; the first had taken severe damage to her superstructure but very little in the way of serious systems damage, while the other appeared to have taken far more critical damage, with several systems (including her Bridge) registering as red (heavily damaged) or black (destroyed) on the wireframe. 

 

"Captain," this voice came from Amel at Ops. "The lead Bird of Prey appears to be transmitting a distress signal. It's weak, so I doubt any other Klingon ship is within range to hear it. I'm patching it through."

 

[This is HoDHom B'Emir of the IKS Borqu'. We have engaged the traitor vessel Bortas in glorious battle and emerged victorious for the Glory of the True Klingon Empire. Our warp engines are damaged, and we have sustained casualties. The IKS Pe'bIl has suffered critical damage and is unable to continue. We are requesting assistance.]

 

==Captain Braggins, I have DM'ed you the information you would know on the Borqu' and B'Emir from Intelligence briefings.==



#26 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.31 @ 01:20 (01:20 AM)

In the minutes it took for people to arrive on the Bridge, Jenny wondered just how her crew would have reacted had this been a Red Alert. She also planned to have a frank and probably rather abrupt conversation with her Command Staff about protocol; there had been no Officer of the Watch on duty, Jensen had excused himself to God-knows-where, and the only crew manning the Bridge had been a pair of technicians and a Cadet. Had this been any other ship, such a situation would have been unimaginable, but on the other hand not many ships were tasked with the same mission profile while operating grossly-understaffed.

 

There's enough space for another twenty crew aboard, at the very least. Why Star Fleet thought fifty-odd was enough, even with the new automation, is just ridiculous.

 

When Jensen did arrive, Jenny didn't even look up. She was focused on the sensor readings being forwarded to her console, which indicated that there might in fact be two incoming ships. That put Jenny slightly more on-edge, as if the Dreamslayer had brought friends, they definitely weren't paying a social call, and if it wasn't the former-flagship... It was anyone's guess who would be arriving. Jenny doubted the Romulans would be so careless as to let their ships bleed tetryon particles, which opened things to the possibility that this was some unknown race making their entrance to the galactic stage.

 

The doors hissed again and Jenny expected to see someone from her Tactical department arrive, but instead the footsteps ended behind her chair. Annoyance now mixing with a deep dislike of having people immediately behind her, Jenny turned in her chair to look up at the new arrival; tanned complexion, dark eyes, pointed ears betraying Vulcan heritage.

 

Half Betazoid, too... Great...

 

"Security Officer reporting Captain."

 

Jenny simply nodded and turned her attention back to her console, trying to suppress the growing irritation she felt. Aboard the Artemis, the Chief of Security never set foot on the Bridge unless specifically asked, and Jensen had followed a similar rule aboard when Jenny had first taken command. In Jenny's experience, it was simply more convenient for the COS to administer their department from the Security Office where the dispatch board was. If things had been different on the Titania, Jenny didn't know, but she would have felt better about her new COS if she'd stayed in her own domain.

 

"Captain, I'm reading two Klingon Birds of Prey on sensors. Both appear to be heavily damaged."

 

Raising an eyebrow, Jenny shifted slightly in her chair. What were two Klingon frigates doing this far outside of the Empire? The wireframe view from Tactical showed that both had suffered heavy damage, the second vessel apparently being operated from an auxiliary control station since the Bridge module was showing as destroyed. Even in the state the ships were in, Jenny knew they would still be dangerous if they decided to get aggressive; the almost-suicidal path to Sto'vo'kor that the Klingon warrior-caste followed only got more fanatical the closer to death they became. 

 

"Send a message to the other ships, patch in the J'Shashians: warn them to stay in orbit and let us handle this. Helm, lay in a course for their entry point. Full Impulse."

 

As the ship began to move, Jenny heard the distress call being patched through; the translation lagging a little behind the original Klingon. The name B'Emir was familiar from Intelligence briefings on the changes within the Klingon Empire that had been occurring prior to their departure for the Shackleton Expanse, as were the names Borqu' and Pe'bIl. The Commander was the eldest daughter of the House of Ke'vek, a minor House within the Empire known more for its Agricultural holdings than its warrior prowess. The Borqu' and Pe'bIl, Klingon for 'Thunder' and 'Lightning', were the only warships in their inventory, older craft prone to breakdowns but lovingly maintained by their crews. Who the alleged traitors within the Empire were, Jenny did not know, but the Bortas had been an old Vor'cha-class Attack Cruiser and former flagship of the Klingon Empire some fifty-odd years previously.

 

Klingons fighting Klingons isn't anything new, but a True Klingon Empire? A fifty year old flagship? Something isn't adding up, here... I think we're in need of some answers.

 

"Mister Amel, open a channel to the Borqu'. Commander B'Emir, this is Captain Jennifer Braggins aboard the USS Philadelphia; we are responding to your distress call with engineering and medical teams on standby." Jenny glanced at Jensen with a look that strongly suggested he get those teams ready to go. "What is your current status, and that of the Pe'bIl?"



#27 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.31 @ 13:23 (01:23 PM)

After feeling forced into an impromptu meeting with her “department” (how could she call four people, including herself, a department?), the soft yellow klaxon brought Maggie and one of her underlings to the Bridge. Carefully taking in who was on the Bridge, Mags decided to slip quietly into one of the stations, while Balfour pointedly took the helm. 
 
Looks like the Klingons have arrived, she thought ruefully, checking in with the scanners on what she had missed. Neither of them are the ‘Dreamslayer’... interesting. And neither of them seem to have specs even close to what we were expecting, either.
 
“...both appear to be heavily damaged.” A Cadet was speaking to the Captain, which was, in Maggie’s mind, not right for a number of reasons. But things seemed to work differently on this tiny ship. Maggie was still trying to wrap her head around Jenny Braggins herself - it seemed Maggie’s memory was worse than she had thought. Did “pregnancy brain” carry over until well after the fourth trimester? She could have sworn that Captain Paul Braggins’ kid had been a lot younger. Either way, the Philadelphia definitely had more important things to worry about at the moment. 
 
The distress signal was played, and only compounded Maggie’s confusion. 
 
[This is HoDHom B'Emir of the IKS Borqu'. We have engaged the traitor vessel Bortas in glorious battle and emerged victorious for the Glory of the True Klingon Empire. Our warp engines are damaged, and we have sustained casualties. The IKS Pe'bIl has suffered critical damage and is unable to continue. We are requesting assistance.]
 
I have so many questions. Maggie thought, tapping and typing away furiously. Who are the Bortas? Why are these Klingons even here? Wouldn’t the translator have gotten the Klingon word for Tholians? And, no offense Klingons, but I don’t think you’d be a great match for the Tholians. Then she realized. Traitor vessel they said! Okay, so what, another Klingon civil war? How many does that make now in the last ten years?
 
“Send a message to the other ships,” Braggins ordered, “patch in the J'Shashians: warn them to stay in orbit and let us handle this. Helm, lay in a course for their entry point. Full Impulse.”
 
It was still weird for Maggie to think about “Captain Braggins,” and have it not be this cranky, grizzled older man in the seat. 
 
“Mister Amel, open a channel to the Borqu'. Commander B'Emir, this is Captain Jennifer Braggins aboard the USS Philadelphia; we are responding to your distress call with engineering and medical teams on standby. What is your current status, and that of the Pe'bIl?”
 
Maggie would have loved to been able to tell her own team to standby for mobilization, but it seemed this ship favorited brute strength over tactics. 12 to 4, those were still pretty overwhelming numbers no matter how you looked at it. Well, maybe that’s why the Security Chief was on the Bridge. 


#28 LCdr Peter Jensen

LCdr Peter Jensen

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • First Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.01 @ 19:25 (07:25 PM)

Peter managed to keep his groan inside him when he heard Kurasa's voice behind him only a few moments after he'd sat down. What was she doing there? Her place was in the office, juggling all the various balls needed to run Security!
He didn't have much time to consider this, however, before two Klingon birds of prey decloaked. He immediately tensed, but they seemed to be...well, not crippled, but certainly worse for wear

 

Before she answered the hail, Peter looked up quickly: "Captain, if I may point out that, unless you know more than we do, which is likely, we might be jumping into the unknown here. Are these from a rebel faction against the Empire? And would the Klingons see our helping them as aiding the rebel cause, in that case?", he asked.

 

When the answer to the Klingon vessels had been given, and the Captain had non-verbally told him to get his hindquarters in gear, Peter nodded, got up, and headed for the turbolift. In those few moments, before he reached the door to the bridge, he had time to have thoughts racing through his mind. Medical and engineering teams. THeir medical department was ridiculously short-staffed already. Ideally, he'd like a doctor and a nurse on each team. But that would leave the Philadelphia with only two nurses staffing sickbay. This was a dilemma indeed. He made a decision. A head nurse would be good enough for the least-damaged ship. If something there was serious enough, they could transport over a doctor. If.

He tapped his badge: "Jensen to Hurst. Please report to the transporter room for immediate away mission. Bring whatever you need to be prepared for life-threatening injuries. Bring Petty Officer Ouan with you and have her do the same". While waiting for acknowledgment, he tapped his badge again: "Jensen to Hydish. Please get yourself, Lt. Sloane, and two more to the transporter room for immediate away mission deployment. Bring whatever tools you need to fix critical damage to warp engines as well", he instructed, then looked at Kurasa.

"Your place is at the security office, running Security, Leftenant Commander. Have two Security officers report to the transporter room, and send one uphere.", he instructed, before opening the door and heading out. Two engineers, a doctor/trained medical person and a security officer would be heading to each ship. That reminded him. He looked at Kurasa: "Have the people you choose go past the armory and pick up a standard phaser, set to stun", he instructed. He was not beaming on board a Klingon bird of prey in a situation like this, completely without protection, but having the entire team arm themselves might be taken as aggression. He took a deep breath and headed out the door, heading for the transporter room


Edited by LCdr Peter Jensen, Star Date 22206.01 @ 19:34 (07:34 PM).


#29 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 1821 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • USS Philadelphia FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.02 @ 01:13 (01:13 AM)

She could not help but note that both the Captain and the FO seemed uncomfortable with her being here. Frankly that was almost becoming a theme for many of her interactions since arriving aboard the Jupiter.

 

How am I to learn anything about the crew and the ship if I am to stay in Security?

 

The interaction with the Klingons told her that Braggins was quite familiar with either these ships; and or Klingons in general but that would wait for a future time.

 

The FO responded to a look he got from the Captain and headed out summoning his away team and quite efficiently at least until he got to Security.

 

"Your place is at the security office, running Security, Leftenant Commander. Have two Security officers report to the transporter room, and send one up here.", he instructed, before opening the door and heading out and then he added as if the Yellow alert hadn't already specified that; 

 

"Have the people you choose go past the armory and pick up a standard phaser, set to stun" And then he was gone. 

 

My Place! Chained to a desk?

 

She hid her reactions and immediately did as she had been told "Kurasa to Ensign d’Tor’an report to transporter for away team." Switching; she contacted Security next

 

"Kurasa to Chief Kiceld. Please send Crewman Murik to transporter room, and Kiral to bridge to relieve me. Also put Alpha team on alert to be ready when needed. Kurasa out. " She didn't bother with instructions on the phaser settings certain that a Chief Petty Officer would be quite familiar with protocols.

 

She could not help but wonder why she was being held back. Trained in Engineering as well as Security and fluency in Klingon would have made her ideal for the away missions, but she had her orders, and maintained her composure while she waited.

 

==Will substitute for crewman in next post==



#30 LCdr Peter Jensen

LCdr Peter Jensen

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • First Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.02 @ 16:21 (04:21 PM)

A short time later, Peter's voice sounded on the bridge.

 

[Jensen to bridge. Away Teams Alpha and Bravo standing by, Captain. Do we have a go for transport?]



#31 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1401 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22206.04 @ 02:22 (02:22 AM)

For a moment, there was no reply to the communication, possibly indicating the distress call was automated. Then, with a burst of static, the viewscreen flickered to life; the Bridge of the IKS Borqu' was a mess; several consoles were burned out, the Captain's chair had been crushed by a stanchion from above, and tangles of circuitry dangled loosely from the ceiling. The view, however, was dominated not by battle damage but by an attractive and dark-skinned Klingon woman wearing a uniform stained with both blood and sweat.

 

[Federation Starship? Navigator, where are we?]

 

The Klingon woman conversed quickly and brusquely in hushed Klingon, so low the translator did not detect it. At an estimated 5'11", the woman was of average height for a female Klingon and carried herself with the grace of a dancer more than a traditional warrior. Long and wavy black hair fell past her shoulders, and her eyes showed signs of cunning intelligence as they returned to the viewscreen.

 

[Apologies. I am B'Emir of the House of Ke'vek, Commander of the IKS Borqu'. We appear to have drifted off course following an...altercation with a Klingon vessel whose Captain forgot where their loyalties should lie. Your offer of assistance is appreciated, but we have matters well in hand. We simply require to...]

 

A second Klingon, far shorter than the first, encroached on the corner of the screen. Of lighter skin tone than the ship's Commander, the second Klingon wore a long coat festooned with many pockets in; it was almost a parody of a lab coat, indicated by the number of surgical and diagnostic tools jutting out of the visible pockets. The two conversed briefly, the smaller one apparently more than a little agitated and though their audio was muted, it was clear that what she was saying was hardly respectful. B'Emir seemed to take it in her stride however, and she visibly sighed before turning back to the viewscreen.

 

[My Medical Officer reminds me of the casualties sustained across both of our vessels. It would be dishonorable to let our wounded die for the sake of my warrior's pride when there are more battles to be fought. Our sickbay has taken heavy damage and the Pe'bIl has lost their surgeon, I request we transfer our casualties to your ship. We will conduct what repairs we can and be on our way.]



#32 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.04 @ 16:05 (04:05 PM)

Jenny frowned at the apparent confusion taking place on the screen in front of her; was B'Emir confused? Had she been more seriously wounded than she thought? It wasn't the first time that a Klingon Captain had refused medical attention and ended up lost or attacking the wrong thing; notably the Dahar Master Kor, while suffering from some form of senility, had thought he was fighting the Federation during the height of the Dominion War. It wasn't something the Klingons spoke of often, not wanting to sully his memory or his heroic sacrifice, but if it could happen to a legend, who was to say what might happen to a relative unknown from a Minor House?

 

[My Medical Officer reminds me of the casualties sustained across both of our vessels. It would be dishonorable to let our wounded die for the sake of my warrior's pride when there are more battles to be fought. Our sickbay has taken heavy damage and the Pe'bIl has lost their surgeon, I request we transfer our casualties to your ship. We will conduct what repairs we can and be on our way.]

 

Jenny leaned forward to conteplate the request; if each Bird of Prey had a crew of eighteen to thirty, and had suffered casualties like was being reported, they could easily take what survivors were left. On the other hand, a wounded Klingon was a most dangerous Klingon, and her Security department wasn't exactly large, and if this was some overly-elaborate ruse, the combined complement of warriors outnumbered her own crew by at least half a dozen. 

 

Fortunately, Klingons aren't known for their ruses. Elaborate or otherwise...

 

"Come alongside and we will take the Pe'bIl under tow while we escort you into Jateran orbit, where you may conduct repairs. You may offload your most severe casualties to the Philadelphia now. I am also making the facilities of the Scott and the Phlox  available, should you need them."

 

Because offering that olive branch might get us some goodwill and trust so we can find out what is going on. Plus, I'm the senior CO, and I can.

 

[Jensen to bridge. Away Teams Alpha and Bravo standing by, Captain. Do we have a go for transport?]

 
Jenny muted the channel for a second and switched to the communication channel that Jensen was using.
 
"Negative. The Klingons do not wish our assistance in conducting repairs, though we are taking their most heavily wounded aboard. Have Ensign D'Tor'an stand guard in Sickbay while our guests are aboard. We are returning to our original plan; have the engineering and science teams finalise their preparations for the excavation on Jateran."


#33 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 1821 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • USS Philadelphia FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.04 @ 16:12 (04:12 PM)

Shione was glad that she had not yet been relieved on the bridge and in the moment between when she closed the comm with Jensen and before she reengaged the Klingon Captain, she took the brief opportunity to speak.

 

"Captain, I offer to escort the Klingons from the Transporter room to Sickbay and remain there in the event they become agitated."

 

==Tag Braggins++



#34 LCdr Peter Jensen

LCdr Peter Jensen

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • First Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.04 @ 17:35 (05:35 PM)

Peter's acknowledgement came only a few moments after the Captain's refusal.

 

[Understood, Captain]

 

About a minute later, Peter came through the doors to the Bridge and resumed the First Officer's seat, looking at the Captain.

 

"Refusing assistance with repairs is not something I'd expect from the Klingons", he pointed out. "They are likely hiding something they don't want us to find, which we likely would if we beamed over. Also, are we sure that these are crews loyal to current government?", he asked again, having received no answer the first time he asked the question before leaving the bridge. "Otherwise, we're siding with rebels", he pointed out.



#35 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.04 @ 21:21 (09:21 PM)

==Two posts in a day, I must be on a roll!==

 

Jenny glanced back at her new Chief of Security as she offered to escort the Klingons; whether the newcomer had forgotten that site-to-site transportation ability would allow the wounded to be transported directly into Sickbay, or she felt she simply needed to make herself useful. Whether she had acted similarly aboard her previous postings, Jenny was not aware as she'd only skimmed her service record, but needing to feel useful wasn't specifically a learned behaviour and had probably been with the hybrid since the Academy, if not earlier.

 

"That won't be necessary."

 

Moments later, Jensen returned and slid back into his seat. He made a valid point about potentially harbouring fugitives from the Empire, but the repetition of his original question was both unnecessary and irksome. As First Officer, it was his job to ask, but as Captain it was Jenny's job to not answer the question she wasn't sure she had an answer to until she had an answer. The dynamic between them would work itself out eventually, but Jensen was no doubt getting something of an education in the vagaries of command on his first official day as First Officer.

 

"I'm not surprised the Klingons won't let us assist; don't forget how proud they are as a race. Those two ships just allegedly defeated a Vor'cha-class Attack Cruiser, but even fifty years on those things still pack a punch; their pride is probably wounded that their damages are so severe. I'm also not entirely worried about their loyalties; when there are no enemies to unite them, the Great Houses often quarrel quite violently. We may simply be seeing a result of one of those quarrels, between a House that supports the current government, and one that does not."

 

For a moment the conversation took a break as operational requirements took priority. As the Philadelphia reversed course and began its journey back to Jateran with the crippled Bird of Prey in tow, Jenny turned back to her First Officer.

 

"We will keep an eye on our guests, and keep the other eye out for anyone who comes looking for them. Until then, it's business as usual, which means you have an excavation to take point on; K'ehley will be taking charge of the scientific side of things, and I want Hydish in charge of any actual drilling or demolitions. You'll oversee and liaise with the J'Shashian representatives. I also want you to take Kurasa with you, just in case any of Nobal's supporters decide to make an appearance."



#36 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.05 @ 02:25 (02:25 AM)

Others on the Bridge already had more insight into what was happening: the First Officer, for example, clearly did not trust the situation. “...we might be jumping into the unknown here. Are these from a rebel faction against the Empire? And would the Klingons see our helping them as aiding the rebel cause, in that case?”
 
Maggie winced in answer to his question, thinking it was better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. After all, wasn’t the Federation’s reputation ‘help first, ask questions later’? Even if the ships had been Ferengi or Pakled, as little respect she had for the people, she still had a sense of duty and honor to help them should they be injured. But things were already moving again on the Bridge, with officers being ordered to prepare for transport, and once again Maggie stood there and felt a bit useless, with all but four officers at her disposal. 
 
However, things went a bit sideways, and luckily in the non-violent way (as things were prone to go when dealing with Klingons). The Klingon on screen, who had but moments ago seemed capable, suddenly seemed confused at the Federation’s identification of themselves. [Federation Starship?] the woman repeated, [Navigator, where are we?] There was a short conference, and Maggie wished she could speak more than four words in Klingonese. 
 
[Your offer of assistance is appreciated, but we have matters well in hand.] The amended answer just made Maggie narrow her eyes, and she was glad she was featured on their viewscreen. That’s not suspicious at all, She thought sarcastically. Instead, the Klingons were now seeking just medical assistance. Guess their engines aren’t as bad as they thought. Or they have no idea what they’re doing. Did they steal this ship? It is a bit old, isn’t it?
 
“Come alongside,” the young Captain Braggins said, “and we will take the Pe'bIl under tow while we escort you into Jateran orbit, where you may conduct repairs.”
 
Mags resisted the urge to fold her arms across her chest, even if it was mainly a contemplative gesture. 
 
“You may offload your most severe casualties to the Philadelphia now. I am also making the facilities of the Scott and the Phlox available, should you need them.”
 
Oh yeah, the Scott and Phlox crews are gonna love that. Maggie thought with full sarcasm again. Although, to be fair, they probably are more capable. It’s not like their time-table isn’t ‘whenever it gets done’.
 
Jenny Braggins ordered the Away Teams to stand down, and for the officers to disperse and instead plan for some Klingon visitors instead. The First Officer returned to the Bridge, and voiced a theory similar to the one Maggie had had - the Klingons seemed like they were hiding something. 
 
“I’m not surprised the Klingons won’t let us assist,” Braggins replied to Jensen, “don’t forget how proud they are as a race.” Their conversation continued for a few minutes, and Maggie tapped her console idly, wondering what she could offer the Captain. She had one officer on the Bridge, herself on the Bridge, and two others doing who-knows-what, especially now that the ship was on Yellow Alert. On a good day, she could have offered help to Security, but the COS seemed content to stay on the Bridge, leaving Maggie feel like she was positively extra. The Philadelphia put the Klingon ship in tow, Maggie at least watched the ship closely for any type of energy emissions. It would be easy for the other ship to send something up the tractor beam directly into their belly. 
 
Conversation turned to the ship’s previous mission, and Maggie did her best to keep one ear open to the conversation. The details of said mission still had not been made open to Starfleet personnel, and now she was willing to bet it had to do with this excavation they were now talking about. She even muted her console so the beeping wouldn’t impede her eavesdropping, which of course made her miss the alert to tell her that her latest sensor readings had been completed. 
 
 
 
==GM tag: What would be the results of a sensor sweep on the Klingon ships, both the one in tow (IKS Pe'bIl) and the one limping alongside (IKS Borqu')? Are we able to ascertain that they are hurt where they say they are hurt? Are there any areas of the ships, especially the one in tow, that we are not able to penetrate? Please be advised Maggie would be running “active” sensor sweeps, as to gain as much information as she could, even though that means the Klingons would be aware she was scanning them. 
 
Also, as a complete aside, please tell me these ship names are pronounced “Pebble” and “Bork”.  :lol:  ==


#37 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 1821 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • USS Philadelphia FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.05 @ 12:47 (12:47 PM)

The plans to assist the Klingons had not gone as planned. Shione wasn't as surprised as perhaps she should have been; but two factors likely contributed to their reluctance to permit Federation personnel aboard

 

Firstly, they were in a position of weakness and no Klingon is ever comfortable with having a possible enemy close enough to bear witness to their inadequacies, but the second reason was likely more impactful. 

With the instability occurring in the Empire the Klingon Captain was not in as certain a position as she would have been and if word that she had allowed the Philadelphia engineers to have access to their technology became known it could make whichever faction she was a part of appear weaker, and that would only serve to strengthen their enemy’s position.

 

Her reverie was interrupted as her relief from Security arrived, "Crewman Kiral reporting as ordered Ma'am" She was pleased to see that he wasn't nervous and took the position smoothly as she stepped aside.

She smiled; "Very good Crewman, it would appear we will be returning to orbit, but we will have some injured Klingons brought aboard, so stay focused, and keep the Captain aware if any issues come to your attention."

 

With that she turned and walked smoothly into the turbolift. "Deck three."

 

>>Security>>



#38 Lt Raven Hurst

Lt Raven Hurst

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 633 posts
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.06 @ 18:00 (06:00 PM)

Raven's voice chimed through the comm  [“Hurst to bridge, would it be possible to find out how many wounded are to come over and how bad they are ? Also with permission I would like to set up a minor medical unit in the cargo bay as sickbay can only hold about eight too nine people less if we have to operate on anyone”]


Edited by Lt Raven Hurst, Star Date 22206.06 @ 18:00 (06:00 PM).


#39 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1401 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22206.09 @ 23:31 (11:31 PM)

==For Murphy==

 

The Klingons didn't seem to be hiding anything, and even if they tried, it would be difficult; whole chunks of hull plating were missing from both ships, in some areas it was possible to see through the hull with the Philadelphia's visual sensors. The Borqu' (or Bork) had suffered heavy damage to her engines, but it was mostly confined to the fuel systems and was fairly simple to repair in a way that would allow the Bird of Prey to continue under her own power. Of the eighteen crew believed to serve aboard a Bird of Prey, there were ten life signs; two of them in critical condition.

 

The Pe'bIl was in far worse shape. Her Bridge module was a shattered wreck, her starboard wing was shorn off at the hydraulic joint with the hull, her impulse array was a burned out mess. She would require a shipyard to be made spaceworthy again, but her value to the Empire at this point would likely simply be in her legend and her scrap value. Of the crew of eighteen, there were three lifesigns remaining. All stable, but locked in the cargo bay which seemed the only area capable of retaining an atmosphere.

 

Despite no doubt being aware of the Philadelphia's scans, the Klingons made no reply. Not that they were really in any position to do so.



#40 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.10 @ 13:03 (01:03 PM)

Scan Results
 
Her screen was blinking, silently, as she had muted notifications. Mostly likely only missing the alert by a handful of seconds, Maggie still felt silly that she had missed it due to eavesdropping. Well, she thought ruefully, It’s not like we had a briefing or anything. No one new here knows what the heck is going on. There was just a hint of resentment in her tone, and she tried not to side-eye look at Captain Jen Braggins. She didn’t remember the girl’s father keeping his crew in the dark. 
 
The Borqu’ suffered heavy damage, which had been reported. Had she been an engineer, she would have winced at the sight of the chunk of hull missing, showing anyone and everyone straight inside the ship. The area directly inside the gaping hole was occasionally showered with sparks, due to the damaged links that were no longer linked. Their mode of transportation was damaged, but they were able to limp home (or more accurately, to Narendra Station).
 
Meanwhile, the Pe’bll was the one she was more concerned with: either she was afraid it was going to shoot photon torpedoes right up their tractor beam, or it was going to break up in tow. Now that scans were in, Mags wasn’t quite sure it could do the former, and so started worrying about the latter. The ship, as a whole, wasn’t “whole,” and the three life-signs that shone through were weak (not that they’d admit it), and were locked in a cargo hold. Maggie checked against Federation records just to make sure - eighteen Klingons were meant to staff the ships that they were escorting. 
 
The “Bork”... yeah, that’s not being pronounced right… anyway… the Bork… Bor-koo?... has ten people. That’s not bad, considering, but also, that means they lost almost half their crew. Sh!t, that sucks. And only three on the… the… oh, forget it, it’s the damn Pebble. Frickin Klingonese. It’s like reading Hewbrew, honestly. But three people, jeeze… wonder how many of them are gonna end up in Sickbay. They’re definitely not gonna wanna leave their ship unattended. So, ok, doing the math, the Klingon ships have lost an estimated twenty-three people. Damn. Yeah, that’s rough. I guess the Bora-koo doesn’t have tractoring capabilities, otherwise they’d be towing the Pebble themselves.
 
“Ten life-signs on the…” Maggie hesitated, still unsure on how to pronounce the names of the Klingon ships. “...Bore-a-ku, Captain.” 
 
She settled on the pronunciation that sounded what she thought was the best. People could judge her on her poor Klingonese later - all she knew was how to say “Hello” and “Go to hell”, anyway.
 
“Three life-signs on the… Pebble.” She hesitated again, and finished lamely, feeling foolish even though her pronunciation couldn’t be that far off. The Bridge would know what she was talking about, anyway. 
 
[Hurst to Bridge,] That was the Chief Medical Officer, [would it be possible to find out how many wounded are to come over and how bad they are ? Also, with permission, I would like to set up a minor medical unit in the cargo bay, as sickbay can only hold about eight to nine people, less if we have to operate on anyone.]
 
Doesn’t Sickbay only have three beds? Maggie wondered. Of course, she wouldn’t know that personally, having avoided Sickbay. She didn’t have anything against doctors, but if they wanted her, they could find her themselves. She shrugged, looking at the numbers of the Klingons again, thinking that whatever the medical team did was their own business. 
 
She sent a quick memo to Security, appraising them of the numbers on the Klingon ships. No doubt it would help them in their assessment on how many Klingons may beam over to the Federation ship. She stayed quiet, giving the Captain and First Officer room to answer Dr. Hurst, as she was also curious to see how many Klingons would be volun-told to beam over for medical attention.
 
 
==Tags to Braggins and Jensen==


#41 LCdr Peter Jensen

LCdr Peter Jensen

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • First Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.10 @ 14:04 (02:04 PM)

Peter listened as Braggins explained about the internal quarreling of the Klingon houses. The concept of civil war was, of course, not unknown to him, but in his mind those were rare, and huge deals, often the points at which civilizations turned. To have it be a semi-normal state of affairs made Peter wonder how the Empire had survived at all.
So yes, back to normal operations. The excavation. He had a feeling there could be some tensions downthere, so he was decidedly not going down unarmed this time.

 

"Understood", he acknowledged, getting out of his seat again, tapping his badge

 

"Jensen to Kurasa. Get to the Transporter Room; you're accompanying the teams in case any of the previously less than friendly locals return. Bring a standard phaser for each of us and set them to stun", he ordered, as he headed towards the turbolift before tapping it again*

"Jensen to K'ehley and Hydish. If your teams are ready to for work regarding the excavation, then please meet LCdr Kurasa and myself in the Transporter Room"

 

== Next stop: You know where ==



#42 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 1821 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • USS Philadelphia FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.10 @ 18:41 (06:41 PM)

 A short time after the message was sent to Security, Murphy's display showed a reply from the CoS.

 

[Acknowledged Commander, Thank you, I will be on the away team , Petty Officer Blackford will be in charge here and he has his team available should they be needed.]



#43 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.16 @ 01:52 (01:52 AM)

Thirteen out of a probably thirty-six. You could crew both with that, but nobody would be sleeping...

 

For a battle to critically damage two Birds of Prey and reduce their crews to a third of their usual number, the fight would have had to be extraordinarily brutal. The new-build Birds of Prey, what the Klingons were referring to as the Mek'leth-class, were fast and agile and carried heavy firepower for their size, but despite their sturdy construction, they weren't designed to take damage. The Bortas, half-century old or not, was a Battlecruiser - if anything strayed into her sights, it would feel it. That the Borqu' and Peb'll had survived at all was testament to the skill and daring of their captains and crews, which said a lot about their presence in the area.

 

Unfortunately it also says a lot about Star Fleet so-called Intelligence not knowing their *** from their elbow. Three more ships in the area than they expected, and nobody even thought to account for them...

 

The issues becoming present were almost enough to stop Jenny breaking a small smile at Murphy's butchering of the Klingon language; it wasn't a language for the faint-hearted, and though reasonably fluent, Jenny still much preferred to speak to Klingons in Federation Standard (i.e. English) through the Universal Translator rather than risking insult by pronouncing a word wrong or putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable. Drumming her fingers on the armrest of her chair, Jenny watched as the trio of ships slowly lumbered towards Jateran.

 

"Klingon casualties are aboard, Captain."

 

Jenny nodded at the report from Ops and scratched idly at her chin. Ten percent pure terror, ninety percent boredom; that was Star Fleet. 

 

"Bridge to Transporter Room; we are re-entering Jateran orbit. You are go for transport."

 

Maybe they'll have some fun down there, make a few discoveries, maybe a friend or two...

 

Leaning back in her chair, Jenny drummed her fingers a few more times before a thought struck her. Turning slightly in her chair to face her new Tactical Officer, Jenny tapped at her armrest twice more while she considered her options.

 

"Commander Murphy, can you give me a weapons signature analysis on those two ships? I want to know if their story holds up."



#44 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.16 @ 14:10 (02:10 PM)

Security acknowledged her report, and Maggie nodded at the console, dismissing the message. Jensen then sent out the orders for who would be on this Away Team, as the Philly was now approaching the planet Jateran again. He made it a point to order his team to equip phasers, which Maggie did not miss, or take lightly. 
 
So they didn’t take phasers last time they were there? And now they are? Ho-boy, what’d they f**k up up here? She shook her head as she continued tapping at her console, thinking that the next thirty minutes or so would be very interesting. 
 
“Klingon casualties are aboard, Captain.” Braggins nodded in understanding, while Maggie took in a deep breath. Things on the Bridge were starting to settle into place, at least for her. She still would have liked to have a bigger department, but she was starting to get the feeling that the Braggins kid felt the same. 
 
I still think she should be younger, Maggie thought, furrowing her forehead in concentration. What year did I serve with Captain Braggins? Well, it was the ship I came up on, so, two, almost three years… I left, and he was still there… sh!t, it wasn’t that long ago, and his kids were definitely babies. Argh, I guess it’ll flag if I try to open up Jenny Braggins’ file. Something weird’s definitely going on, though. Maybe I’ll ask Griffin to look into it when I talk to him next.
 
There was something to be said for having a husband who was in charge of an entire starbase. 
 
“Commander Murphy, can you give me a weapons signature analysis on those two ships? I want to know if their story holds up.”
 
Maggie smiled in return; she liked investigative work. “Not a problem,” she said, her tone making it sound like she was going to get pleasure out of the results. She tapped away at her console, eased by the fact that the Klingons had already let her do her semi-invasive scans. One was being towed by the Federation ship, after all. Every minute that passed without a photon torpedo coming up their tractor beam was another minute Maggie felt at ease. 
 
While she waited for the scans to come back in, the time in the bottom right hand corner of her screen changed, her personal preferences showing her that a new officer of hers was due on the Bridge within the next fifteen minutes. She clicked the time to make sure she knew who was in the bullpen: “Theresa” Black. The CTO suppressed a sigh; if she accepted when people changed their gender or name for other reasons, what made Maz changing her name so different now? Well, there was the stigma, of course, and the trial that Maggie had let drop from her purview. 
 
If Starfleet cleared her, then Starfleet cleared her. Maggie told herself again. Maybe what I need is just a good sit-down with the woman. She was standing right next to me! I’d even consider us friends! Er… friend-ly, anyway. Ugh, it’s been a couple years ago at this point that she’s returned to Starfleet. I guess me not knowing the whole story doesn’t excuse me for being a b!tch to her… even if I was standing right freaking next to her.
 
Luckily, the scan results came back, preventing Maggie from continuing her endless circle of thoughts. From Baby Braggins to Mazikeen Black, there was a lot for Maggie to process on the ship - and none of it strictly work related. 
 
 
==Tag Black: Please join the party on the Bridge!==
==Tag GM: What do analyzing scans show of the weapons residue on the Klingon ships? Are they Klingon, something else, or perhaps a mix? Any specificities you can give me as to the class of Klingon ship(s)?==


#45 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22206.16 @ 19:53 (07:53 PM)

>> Crew Quarters >>
== 15 minutes later... ==

 

Half an hour ago had anyone seen Maz, she wouldn't have looked as well turned out as she now did. She'd replicated a fresh uniform, and made herself presentable so that she could maintain a professional appearance.

 

At the exact time her shift was set to begin, she set foot back on the bridge for the second time today since Murphy had ordered her and the other two members of the department off of it for her team brief for the brief team.

 

The most obvious difference between her previous visit and now was the Captain herself was present and not the FO, along with Commander Murphy and a few more members of the crew she obviously didn't know.

 

She took a moment, to pause as she entered to nod a non verbal 'Ma'am' to the Captain. Before she walked over to the tactical station where the CTO was.

“Lieutenant Black reporting for duty shift.” She said keeping it as formal as possible so not to seem still riled from their previous meeting.

 

== Tag ==



#46 LCdr Peter Jensen

LCdr Peter Jensen

    Member

  • First Officers
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • First Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.16 @ 20:18 (08:18 PM)

Peter's response came promptly:

 

[Acknowledged, Captain. We're good to go]



#47 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1401 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22206.19 @ 19:23 (07:23 PM)

There was a lot of damage for the sensors to comb through, and in some cases any weapons signatures had been burned away by radiation leaking from within the ship from breached impulse exhausts or deuterium storage units. However, the trace signatures remaining were all of Klingon origin. The levels of radiation suggested the two small craft had fought something Heavy Cruiser scale, or at least mounting Heavy Cruiser-grade weaponry.

 

Given the amount of hits the poor Peb'll had taken, it was fortunate that any amount of the ship had survived at all.

 

What was odd, and seemed to corroborate the Klingon Commander's story, the energy patterns matched standard-issue Disruptors from half a century earlier. They were far less efficient than modern weapons, but what they lacked in finesse they made up for in brute strength. It would be wise, if the Klingon had been mistaken about their victory, for the Philadelphia to avoid such weapons if at all possible.



#48 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.21 @ 16:57 (04:57 PM)

First, Maggie sorted the data by ship. Then, upon seeing the similarities and not wanting to compare them line by line, she merged the data back together again. Sorting again by weapons type and damage type (and then radiation type, as the ships were hemorrhaging radiation) proved to press some interesting buttons for Maggie. 
 
“Lieutenant Black reporting for duty shift.” 
 
Maggie nodded to Black, and then nodded upwards towards where Balfour was sitting. “I’m going to have you relieve Scott,” she said, “But I’d also appreciate it if you could help me sort through these results. Their radiation leaks are obscuring a lot of their battle damage, and…” Maggie paused to bring up what was stymying her, “Does that look like what I think it looks like?”
 
Of course, the computer’s analysis was known to be pretty spot-on, but it was still nice to say to someone else, ‘Are you seeing what I’m seeing?’ There was also the small fact that sometimes, when you were a prideful individual, the best apology was asking the other person for help. 
 
“Dominion War era, right?” She added, just to make her point -and her confusion- clear. That was fifty years ago now, and Federation technology had certainly advanced since then, as had, she thought, Klingon. Mags knew that Klingons were more prone to fixing something old than constructing something new (did the Klingons have their own phrase for ‘If it ain’t broke’?), but weaponry of that era -Klingon, at least- had been dangerous. Weapons first, life support later, she suspected was the way those ships had been built and maintained. 
 
 
==Tags to Black==


#49 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22206.21 @ 20:16 (08:16 PM)

“I’m going to have you relieve Scott,” Said Murphy gesturing over to the other station. “But I’d also appreciate it if you could help me sort through these results. Their radiation leaks are obscuring a lot of their battle damage, and…” Maggie paused to bring up what was stymieing her, “Does that look like what I think it looks like?”

 

Maz peered over the CTO's shoulder at the information on her screen. “Dominion War era, right?”

 

“It does look old school.” She concurred after a second. “Those readings are quite high. Heavy cruiser, maybe?” She said. But that's all she could say on the subject with what she knew.

 

She hadn't been briefed on what was happening. She knew that they had gone to yellow alert earlier, and that sickbay had taken on casualties. But no one had actually told her anything about why or who. Now she had this analysis to look at. The signatures looked Klingon, but she also knew they were a long way from Klingon space and their own joint outpost in the region.

 

So she asked the question out right. “Ma'am. What exactly am I looking at here?”

 

== Tag - Murph ==

 



#50 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22206.24 @ 13:00 (01:00 PM)

==Omg, that’s awesome! We should ask the CD if we can add this to the wiki :P ==
 
 
“It does look old school,” Maz  -Theresa-  replied, agreeing, then adding, “Those readings are quite high. Heavy cruiser, maybe?” Maggie nodded, both a confirmation on the facts, and agreeing with Theresa’s educated guess. With the Philadelphia now back in Jateran orbit, and the Away Team beaming down, it was presumably only a matter of minutes before they turned the Klingon ship(s) over to the Scott for preliminary assessment and repairs. Maggie did a quick scan to make sure the ships in the area had not changed, and whether or not they had changed positions, just to make sure she knew where everyone was. 
 
“Ma'am.” Black prompted, “What exactly am I looking at here?”
 
Maggie changed the view on her console to show the Klingon ship in tow, and the other Klingon ship alongside them. “The Borqu'... and the Pe'bIl,” she introduced them, not caring that she was pronouncing them wrong, no matter where she put the em-pha-sis. It was clear even from the far-away views how damaged the ships were. 
 
“We’ve got some of their crew in Sickbay right now,” the CTO added, “Though we’re still fuzzy on the details.” 
 
 
==GM: General area scans: who’s still in the area? Just trying to get a feel for who’s still in the “room,” and where they are, so I get all the logistical data correct. Thanks!==


#51 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22206.24 @ 15:46 (03:46 PM)

“The Bork... and the Pebble,” Said Murphy as she brought up the aft few of the two... ships, that they had in tow. “We’ve got some of their crew in Sickbay right now. Though we’re still fuzzy on the details.”

 

Maz blinked open mouthed at the state of the Pe'bIl. “I think we should, start with what still works on that thing instead of what's,” She pondered what word to use before she settled on, “damaged.”

 

“It'll be a shorter list. Let me... Yeah. Wow.” She said moving over to the other tactical station to relieve Balfour.

 

“I don't think AAA can fix this one...” She muttered quietly to herself.

 

She sat down and began looking over the results from the scans so far. The radiation being produced by the damaged ships systems was quickly burning away what evidence there was. Some of the signatures were so obvious, it was impossible to not recognise it as Klingon weapons fire. But the amount leaking would render any further investigation near impossible.

 

“Computer. Is it possible to interface with... what's left of the Pebble and shut what's left of it down completely?”

 

She had no idea if it was possible, but doing so might help preserve what evidence there was left, and might prevent anything worse from happening like contamination of the local space.

 

 

== GM – Can we turn it off and get better results while protecting the environment? ==

 



#52 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1401 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22206.30 @ 01:29 (01:29 AM)

==Murphy==

 

The Scott, Phlox and Jupiter were still in Jateran orbit. So were several armed ships that seemed to make up the Jateran Navy. Other, smaller ships, seemed to be going to and fro around the system on whatever business the J'Shashians had them going about.

 

==Black==

 

The computer seemed to go silent while it processed the request. Then, with a confirmation beep, the few systems remaining operational aboard the crippled Klingon ship shut down. The radiation leak was slowed to a trickle, but not completely stopped; that would require an engineering team in EVA suits to patch some holes where there shouldn't be any holes.



#53 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22206.30 @ 20:00 (08:00 PM)

After Maz had made her request of the computer, it seemed to pause for a few seconds as if it was struggling to comply. But then the few remaining systems on the Pe'bil that were still active began shutting down one by one until there was nothing than residual radiation sources that could only be stopped now by direct physical repair crews sealing them off. Either way, the effect was tenfold as the ionizing effects lessened and allowed for better scans of the damage.

 

“I've managed to shut down what was left, Ma'am.” She said looking over to Murphy's station. “You should be able to get cleaner scans now of the Pebble, at least.”

 

But it's still going to leak minimal radiation into the local area...

 

“Should I contact engineering and ask them to see if they can send over anyone to contain the residual radiation? Maybe they could have a hands on look at the weapons damage while they're over there?”

 

It wasn't likely, but she would be remiss she thought if she didn't at least offer it.”

 

 

== Tag Murphy ==



#54 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22207.02 @ 20:47 (08:47 PM)

As they returned to Jateran space, Murphy expected the Scott to take over tractoring the Pe'bIl. Of course, that would be the Captain’s call, as Murphy wouldn’t know exactly what to say to the Captains of the other ships. It looked, for all intents and purposes, as if the Philly had just taken a phone call, gone out for a minute, and come back with something they had just trash picked. And not even a good curb-find, either. Looking again at their view of the Klingon ships, Mags wondered what the Jateran navy thought of them. And, for that matter, the local traffic. 
 
Gonna be a 'gaper delay,' I’m sure… Maggie thought. And then, she realized, Is that just a Philadelphian phrase? Definitely applies, though…
 
“I think we should start with what still works on that thing,” Black commented, the state of the Pe’bll something clearly headed for the junkyard, “instead of what’s… damaged.” Maggie could only raise an eyebrow in appreciation of the woman’s choice of vocabulary. They might need that tact later should they have any conversation with one of the Klingon ships’ engineers. 
 
Relieving the helms officer, the Lieutenant set to work filtering out the radiation damage in order to get a better look at the battle damage: the former was really starting to erode the latter. Requesting the Federation computer to interface with the Klingon computer, that hesitant moment may have been for a manual confirmation, which Maggie wasn’t sure they’d get. But she heard the happy beep of confirmation, and raised another eyebrow at how easily the Klingons were letting them take care of them. 
 
Still don’t know whether to be happy or suspicious. She thought, keeping the thought to herself. Younger than her or not, Captain Jenny Braggins probably already knew to be suspicious of the Klingons. 
 
“I've managed to shut down what was left, Ma'am.” Black said, glancing over her right shoulder to look at Murphy. “You should be able to get cleaner scans now of the Pebble, at least.” With the Captain seated just a few feet away from them, Maggie just nodded in acknowledgement. 
 
“Re-running scans.” Maggie announced and replied, deciding after she had initiated them that she was going to re-scan the Borqu' as well. Her reasoning, should the Klingons ask, quite frankly, was ‘why the hell not.’ 
 
“Should I contact engineering and ask them to see if they can send over anyone to contain the residual radiation?” Black asked, after the second set of scans had come in. “Maybe they could have a hands-on look at the weapons damage while they're over there?”
 
“Hell, I wouldn’t mind having a hands-on look at that weapons damage," Maggie quipped. “But I think that’s a question for the Captain.” Now it was her turn to turn her head and look over at the next seat. “Sir?” She prompted. “Are we going into orbit and letting the Scott have the… Pebble? Or…?” She tried hard to not seem too eager to beam over and investigate. They would need the Klingons’ permission, after all. 
 
 
==GM: results of those re-ran scans? Tag to Captain!==


#55 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22207.06 @ 01:02 (01:02 AM)

Jenny sat back and focused her attention on status reports from the rest of the ship as the Philadelphia towed the crippled Peb'Il back to Jateran orbit and her new Tactical Department (or at least half of it) discussed potential ways to discover exactly what had happened to their new 'friends'; Jenny appreciated their lack of blind trust, as she herself was not entirely convinced by their story or by their trustworthiness. The Klingons were technically their allies and she was affording them the respect and assistance that such an alliance required, but that didn't mean she bought their story.

 

Another Klingon civil war won't do the Federation or the Romulans any good, if that's really what happened. This could just be a blood feud, or two captains who got their butts kicked by a freighter.

 

Jenny was brought back from her musings by Murphy's use of the word 'captain'. Murphy and Black had been discussing going over to the ruined Bird-of-Prey to seal the rest of the radiation leaks, which would be required before anyone actually went aboard to start fixing what was left. If anything could be salvaged, that was. Murphy also brought up a good point without knowing it; they couldn't bring the Peb'Il into orbit around Jateran while she was still a radioactive hulk as that would cause yet more damage to the planet's atmosphere; atmosphere that the Federation ships were now trying to fix.

 

"Not yet. Lieutenant Black, bring us to a stop just outside of Jateran orbit; if we need to dispose of the Peb'Il, I don't want any explosions causing any more damage than we have already done."

 

Turning back to Murphy, she continued.

 

"Do you think you can pull the ship's sensor data? Maybe their Captain's logs? I've got no real reason to believe that Commander B'Emir is not telling the truth, but I want to know for certain what actually happened."



#56 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22207.07 @ 20:23 (08:23 PM)

After a few moments of deliberation, the Captain replied that she didn't want an engineering team sent across. It wasn't a problem for Maz. It was just a suggestion after all.

 

“Lieutenant Black, bring us to a stop just outside of Jateran orbit;” The Captain then continued. “If we need to dispose of the Peb'Il, I don't want any explosions causing any more damage than we have already done."

 

As yet, Maz hadn't been briefed on what the previous damage had been or how the Philadelphia had caused it, but she could see on the screen that was facing the planet, the scar on the surface visible from this far away.

 

Must have been some party... She thought.

 

Bringing the Philadelphia into a high orbit, she monitored the tractor stress on the Pe'bil. And once she was happy that it wasn't about to fall apart any further, she disengaged the beam. Now set on course, and with no resistance, the remnant of the Klingon ship would just drift along with them.

 

There wasn't much else she could do now other than monitor the surrounding space and the local traffic.

 

 

== Does Galaga play on these consoles? ==



#57 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22207.11 @ 15:31 (03:31 PM)

“Not yet,” The Captain answered in response to Maggie’s question regarding orbit with the Klingon ship. The CTO was glad to hear it; she wasn’t exactly fond of the idea of dragging the ship around while in orbit. It felt a bit like dragging a still-bleeding, dead body around the floor, in some macabre horror movie of old. 
 
“Lieutenant Black, bring us to a stop just outside of Jateran orbit. If we need to dispose of the Peb'Il, I don't want any explosions causing any more damage than we have already done.”
 
“Than what we’ve already done”? Maggie immediately repeated in her head. What the hell did you guys do out here?! Oh, I’d love to get my hands on even ONE report…
 
“Do you think you can pull the ship's sensor data?” The Captain asked, directing her questions to Murphy. “Maybe their Captain's logs? I've got no real reason to believe that Commander B'Emir is not telling the truth, but I want to know for certain what actually happened.” 
 
“Depends on what systems are hurt, and how bad,” Maggie admitted, already tapping away at her console. “But I can certainly try.”
 
 
 
==GM: How easy/hard is it to access the logs of the Peb'Il? And, friendly bump on that previous tag ;) ==


#58 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1401 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22207.14 @ 15:12 (03:12 PM)

The scans confirmed what they had already known; the Peb'Il had suffered horrendous damage at the end of Klingon weapons. Brute-force weapons, unlike Federation Phasers that could swat a fly from 10,000km away if tuned correctly, the energy transfer from the Klingon Disruptors had shattered much of the little ship's hull and internal structure. This wasn't something you could patch up or buff out, it was going to require a shipyard just to unbend the remaining structural frames.

 

Fortunately the Peb'Il's computer seemed to have survived intact and streams of data appeared on her console. Unfortunately, when the connection was established everything was in Klingon and the Computer seemed unable to automatically translating it for her, likely some kind of anti-spyware programming within the Peb'Il's computer itself.



#59 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22207.14 @ 19:26 (07:26 PM)

With the ship now safely in their orbit, and the Pebble drifting along behind them, Black had little more to do than maintain the orbit and keep an eye on the other vessels in the local vicinity as well as anything else coming in from out system.

 

The Pe'bil's partner in crime, the Borqu' was still moving under it's own power. Maz kept a weather eye on it to make sure it and however many remaining Klingons aboard didn't try crashing into them, any of the other ships in the system, or the planet. Anything was possible after all.

 

She also wondered how the locals would react to arrival of new one and a ships. They'd met the Federation, and apparently had managed to shake off a coup in the process while preventing the birth of a planet killing space-borne entity.

 

What if the Klingons had arrived before they had? She'd briefly seen the J'Shashian four engined beast in orbit, and wondered how long it would last against an fully operational warship. Would the planet below them have still be here afterwards?

 

The Scott and the Jupiter were both in lower orbits than they were giving the Philadelphia something of a grand over-watch position of the planet. She also wondered if the crews of the three Federation ships outnumbered the total number of J'Shashian's who had even been in space.

 

There certainly were a lot of idol thoughts that went through her mind as she monitored the space around them.



#60 Lt Altairi Hydish

Lt Altairi Hydish

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 278 posts
  • Chief Engineer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22207.15 @ 01:50 (01:50 AM)

A line opened up from the Chief Engineer's combadge on the ground.

 

[Hydish to Philadelphia; We're clear to start beaming down excavation equipment. And uh, send a ping to the Scott; we're going to want their antigrav drilling platforms,] the chief asked, quite nervously, but it wasn't as it that were anything new or unusual.

 

== Tag == 



#61 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22207.22 @ 16:22 (04:22 PM)

Maggie’s re-scanning showed mostly information they had already known (and could have gotten just by looking out the window): the Peb’ll was trashed. Opposing forces had smashed it right through, beating it up with pure brute strength. That was kind of the Klingon signature, and there was no reason to doubt the Klingon Warriors’ story, especially with evidence like this. Inside, the internal systems had of course not feared much better, though the computer system itself seemed to be fully accessible. 
 
Except for one very important thing. 
 
Why is it all in Klingonese? Maggie thought, her forehead wrinkling, eyebrows coming together. She pressed the sequence for their translator again and again, but still the information would not switch over to English. Cocking her head, she tried a different approach: translation to Vulcan. Nope. Translation to Human Chinese, Mandarin. Nope. Translation back to Human English again. No go. She threw her hands up from the console, and shook her head. 
 
“What the heck…” The CTO muttered, storing the information for a moment, and going into their own database. She started looking for Klingon members on board, frowning that their only full-blooded Klingon was down on the planet. They had two Klingon-Human hybrids, one in Engineering and one in Security. Shrugging, Maggie put in a note to both departments, requesting their assistance for translation. 
 
“You don’t know any Klingon, do you, Black?” Maggie asked out loud, her tone hopeful and curious. “All I know how to say is “hello” and “Your mother…” well… you know.” 
 
 
==Tags to Black, Bridge as a whole. Will post my translation request to Engineering & Security shortly.==


#62 Lt Altairi Hydish

Lt Altairi Hydish

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 278 posts
  • Chief Engineer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22207.22 @ 22:35 (10:35 PM)

Engineering sent back a reply quickly enough, but the officer left in charge didn't bear particularly great news.

 

Bridge,

Johnson on planet. No others speak Klingonese. 

Apologies.

-Engineering.

 

== Ok, here's a tag ==



#63 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1401 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22207.23 @ 16:15 (04:15 PM)

As Murphy tried to decipher the Klingon script, an alert popped up on her console; long-range sensors had picked up an object moving towards the system at high warp. The energy signature matched no known design, and it was approaching fast. While the Birds of Prey had crashed into the system by accident, whatever this was appeared to be heading directly for Jateran.



#64 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22207.23 @ 20:45 (08:45 PM)

“You don’t know any Klingon, do you, Black?” Asked Murphy suddenly making Maz almost jump as she briefly pondered existence.

 

“Only one I can recall was on Deneb.” She said without thinking and a big smile forming. “That was one hell of an evening...”

 

Then her brain caught up. “I mean... Umm...” She started to turn red as she realised her mistake. But thankfully, a bleep sounded on both hers and Murphy's consoles.

 

“New Contact.” Said Black tapping at her display, now fully focused on the task before her. “In bound unknown warp signature. Course projection puts it on a direct heading for this planet.”

 

The initial computer analysis couldn't identify the incoming signature. So it was either too far away to get a complete scan, or it was a completely new species they would be meeting with.

 

The amount of time it had taken the Philadelphia to get out this far from Federation Space had been months. The transwarp of the Jupiter had been days. And since, as far as she was aware, the Klingons didn't have transwarp. Yet. Whoever this was had either been travelling for a long time, or they were as yet unknown locals.

 

Tapping a few more controls, Black tried to improve the sensor scans to absolute maximum in order to get better focused results than the cursory scans from their passive sweeps.

 

 

== Tag everyone else & GM: What results do we get off the new contact by focusing all the sensors on it? ==



#65 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22207.27 @ 16:08 (04:08 PM)

The replies back to Maggie were not encouraging: Engineering told her that their Klingon was on the surface, and Security didn’t even bother replying. No one else speaks Klingonese? Really? It was a hopeless thought; Maggie knew there was no reason for anyone else to. The Klingons weren’t part of the Federation, and even if they were, the Universal Translator usually handled silly things like this. Maggie just hated feeling useless. 
 
As she waited for Security to get back to her, her console beeped, and long-range sensors let her know that something was coming up quick. 
 
“New contact,” Black announced, saving herself from whatever reminiscent mumbling was happening over in her corner of the Bridge. “In-bound, unknown warp signature. Course projection puts it on a direct heading for this planet.”
 
Maggie took a look at the same thing Black was announcing, as she was announcing it, and frowned. “Recommend raising shields, Captain.” She said when Black was done, her tone warning. A moment later, she hesitantly added, “...and moving to put us in front of the Klingons.” 
 
 
==Tag Captain.==


#66 LCdr Shione Kurasa

LCdr Shione Kurasa

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 1821 posts
  • Chief of Security
  • USS Philadelphia FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22207.27 @ 17:24 (05:24 PM)

The delayed response from Security finally arrived

 

Crewman Icha to Bridge

Sorry for delay I had to check with Chief Kiceld

Only Commander Kurasa and Ensign d'Tor'an speak Klingon



#67 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1401 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22207.27 @ 17:57 (05:57 PM)

==Black & Murphy==

 

Even with full sensors, the results were inconclusive. It seemed as though the sensor readings were being scattered by the approaching vessel, though the subspace wake it was leaving behind it was massive. No starship known to Star Fleet had a subspace wake like that simply because the ship would have to be the size of a small starbase to generate it, and it appeared to be approaching at a speed beyond Warp 10.

 

The communications channel came alive as Commander B'Emir and Captain Khumalo both hailed the Philadelphia at the same time, both having also detected the incoming craft. B'Emir was moving her crippled Bird of Prey to intercept, while Khumalo was advocating for an immediate retreat, and using his status as senior Captain (by dint of promotion date) to add weight behind his order.



#68 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22207.27 @ 18:25 (06:25 PM)

The results of the focused scans made no sense to Black as she tried to understand what she was looking at.

 

The vessel, she assumed it was a vessel. Didn't seem to match anything they had on record. But the two most promenade anomalies she could detect were that it was either super massive. The size of a large starbase or space station, and that it seemed to be travelling at over...

 

She had to double take and recheck the scans again. Over warp ten? Impossible!

 

That's when Captain Grumpy from the Jupiter and the Klingon Commander both contacted the Philadelphia.

 

Sending a text message to Murphy's station, Black relayed the scans she had despite them making no sense.

[It makes no sense. You seen anything like this before?]

== Tag Murph ==

 



#69 Ens Art d'Tor'an {Murphy}

Ens Art d'Tor'an {Murphy}

    Member

  • NRC
  • Pip
  • 410 posts
  • Security Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22207.28 @ 16:33 (04:33 PM)

== NPC: Newton Blackford, Alpha Team - Marksman, Human Male==
 
 
Another memo came in from Security just a few minutes later:
 
Have spoken with Ensign d’Tor’an, who is fluent in Klingonese and able to translate.
Please send the file or files in question, and we will transfer to a PADD.
Ensign is currently standing watch over a couple of our Klingon guests.


#70 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22208.02 @ 16:01 (04:01 PM)

Maggie had a very uneasy feeling about the approaching signature. She had tried to jockey the Philadelphia to position between the approaching ship and the planet, and hopefully between the Klingons as well, but of course nothing went to plan. 
 
Running scans again, there was nothing definite about the readings. Leaving a massive wake of disruption behind it, it was coming up fast, and Maggie didn’t want to jump to conclusions, but it was hard not to. 
 
Communications exploded from both the Klingons and the Jupiter; Maggie wanted to konk them both on the head. Shouts of “me first” came from both Captains, and there was some heavy eye-rolling coming from the CTO in response. Had she been the Captain, her frank response to both of them would have been “Shut up and stand down” - luckily for politics, she was not the Captain. 
 
A soft beep from her console brough Maggie’s view down: Black had messages her privately. 
 
[It makes no sense. You seen anything like this before?]
 
[No…] Maggie typed back slowly, [And I’ve got a bad feeling about this.]
 
“Captain…” she said, in the same careful tone that she was thinking in, “I think this might be… another… Crystalline Entity.” She turned to look at the Captain directly. It was time somebody finally asked the question all the new crew had been wondering. “What exactly did you guys do with that crater down there? I heard it was a baby Entity… did you abort it?”
 
 
==Captain, you have to post at some point ;) ==


#71 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22208.08 @ 16:59 (04:59 PM)

[No…] Came back the response from Murphy. [And I’ve got a bad feeling about this.]

 

Maz tried not to roll her eyes at the use of the ancient quote. Her mind was still trying to understand what she was looking at.

 

Warp ten is... Impossible. It would have arrived before we detected it at that speed. Slipstream bypasses it, but there just isn't enough energy to do it. It must be a sensor echo or subspace cavitation or something.

 

She heard Murphy mention that it could be another crystalline entity.

 

What? Another one?

 

As a tactical officer, her first instinct was to get the ship out of orbit and ready to do... Something. But now it seemed that the Captain of the Jupiter and the Klingon Commander were more interested in posturing than action.

 

But what did she know. She was a lowly Lieutenant with an attitude half a light-year wide. Only here by good grace and luck. If she did anything stupid. She'd stand a better chance of survival against whatever was coming in.

 

Taking a breath. She tried to push back her anxiety while she waited for Braggins to give a clear and concise order.

 

Calm. Relax. Chill. Think happy thoughts...



#72 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22208.10 @ 22:30 (10:30 PM)

As they had previously, things had gone from glacial to light-speed in a matter of moments. There was now apparently another ship incoming, generating such a fuss with its sheer size apparent and technically-impossible velocity of Warp 10; nothing good could come from a vessel of such size, regardless of velocity, and it was only the knowledge that the ship wasn't travelling at Transwarp velocities that reassured Jenny in any way - they weren't about to witness the first (known) Borg incursion into the Shackleton Expanse. Unless they'd found some way to break the laws of physics and travel at "simple" Warp rather than requiring a Transwarp Conduit...

 

The last thing we need now is a Borg Cube showing up...

 

"Murphy, take us back to Yellow Alert and signal the Bor'qu to hold position with the Scott. Signal the other ships and have them prepare for a snap departure but not to leave orbit until ordered. If you need to, remind Captain Khumalo that while his promotion came in before mine, the Philadelphia is the more capable vessel and that puts me in charge."

 

Because even our spitwad against a giant is better than anything the others can throw at it...

 

"Black, plot their arrival point and set a course at Full Impulse."

 

“Captain…I think this might be… another… Crystalline Entity. What exactly did you guys do with that crater down there? I heard it was a baby Entity… did you abort it?”

 

Jenny suppressed a sigh; she knew the topic was bound to come up from one of the new arrivals sometime, and while this was neither the time or place to go into detail, there was no avoiding it.

 

"Something like that, yes... It was necessary to save the planet."

 

If it's another Entity, we've got one shot to save this entire system before we're all turned into a tasty mid-afternoon snack.

 

"Prepare the deflector dish; if this is another Entity, I want concentrated graviton pulses ready to go the moment it drops from warp."



#73 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22208.12 @ 18:09 (06:09 PM)

Like Murphy, she could almost see Black twitching. They were Tactical officers, always itching for something to do in the first place, and now that there was a Great Big Something headed their way -and at top warp, no less- there was the undeniable feeling of want. 
 
“Murphy,” Braggins ordered, “take us back to Yellow Alert and signal the Bor'qu to hold position with the Scott.”
 
Those seemed like pretty obvious orders, ones which Maggie was happy to follow. Whether the Klingons or the Starfleet Captain obliged, of course, would be another matter. 
 
“Signal the other ships, and have them prepare for a snap departure, but not to leave orbit until ordered.”
 
Other ships as in the ones from Jateran? Or just everybody? Maggie weighed her options, and decided, Everybody. Whatever had happened before, it definitely seemed the best option to make sure the people of the planet were safe. There was a dragon headed their way; the villagefolk would be smart to stay safe. 
 
“If you need to,” the Captain added, “remind Captain Khumalo that while his promotion came in before mine, the Philadelphia is the more capable vessel and that puts me in charge.”
 
Mags smirked, mostly because it was clear that Captain CrankyPants appeared to cause the same opinion from everyone. While she was busy running communiqués, Braggins ordered Black to plot the ‘dragon’s’ course and arrival, and for them to intercept. Do that quickly… Maggie thought towards Black, They’re gonna be here in about two seconds…
 
After ordered were issues, Braggins finally answered the question of the house, the elephant in the room, the… for lack of a better metaphor, the Crystalline Entity in the crater. Kind of, anyway.
 
“Something like that, yes... It was necessary to save the planet.”
 
Maggie looked up to give the young woman the hairy eyeball. It was the sort of non-answer you would give a question-hungry child, and while Maggie suspected that Mamma had come home to roost, a straight answer at this time might have been pertinent, if not at the very least, useful. 
 
Great, Maggie thought, the sarcasm strong. We’re about to deal with one real pissed-off Crystalline Entity. And mom is gonna kick our butts.
 
“Prepare the deflector dish.” She wasn’t sure who that order was directed to - whoever got to it first, apparently.  “If this is another Entity, I want concentrated graviton pulses ready to go the moment it drops from warp.”
 
Ready the torpedoes… Maggie thought wryly, even though they weren’t actual photon torpedoes. She almost felt like telling Black to brace for impact. ...and hold on to your butts!
 
 
==Scared tags!==


#74 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22208.14 @ 07:14 (07:14 AM)

What felt like hours, but was only seconds in reality. When the Captain finally made her decision and began issuing orders. Black's hands felt suddenly stiff as if they had actually been poised for those hours waiting to input her orders.

 

"Black, plot their arrival point and set a course at Full Impulse."

 

“Aye, aye. Captain.” She replied as her senses returned and her fingers danced over the touch controls with the adept fortitude and poise of a prima-donna ballerina.

 

At the speed whoever or whatever it was, was approaching at, it was clear that they would probably arrive at the same location within milliseconds of each other and if she got her calculations wrong, they could even collide. But risk was part of life.

 

“Heading set, and breaking orbit.” She said as she inputted the final command and pressed the go button and the Philadelphia began moving.

 

In the back of her mind it still marvelled her that such a simple action of stroking a touch screen could begin the process of instantly moving an eighty thousand tonne piece of equipment at speeds of thousands of miles per hour in mere seconds. And it was her doing it. She smiled at the thought.

 

“Approaching coordinates.” She announced a few moments later.

In comparison, while this was going on, she half listened to the orders that Murphy had been given. Juggling is a skill they should teach as standard at the academy. She mused briefly, remembering her own time serving as CTO on the Copernicus.
 


== And a Merry Tag to everyone and all ==



#75 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1401 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22208.15 @ 00:48 (12:48 AM)

As the Philadelphia approached the coordinates, there was a massive subspace surge. The Philadelphia's shields absorbed the energy without issue, and from the center of the surge emerged a vessel.

 

Two kilometers long, it resembled a huge hollowed-out gemstone. The aft section spread out into a collection of glittering solar panels like insect wings that began to rotate slowly around the hull. Though its weapons were offline, even passive scans could detect Tetryon Cannons, Plasma Torpedo Launchers, and other systems that appeared tactical in nature.

 

Though the ship matched nothing in Star Fleet's registry, it was obviously of Tholian design. Braggins and Murphy, in their respective positions, would have read reports from Star Fleet Intelligence about the existence of a new class of Tholian Dreadnought, but nobody had seen one to confirm its existence.

 

Until now.



#76 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22208.16 @ 14:31 (02:31 PM)

Her console was an orchestra of beeps and bloops; messages and replies and requests that Maggie was able to swipe away, as she concentrated on getting as much information as she could before the suspected-Crystalline-Mommy came rushing in to her baby’s defense. 
 
One message was telling her about the Deflector Dish, one message was telling her about Security and their translator, another message was informing her of what Black was doing on her end… it was a lot. Without acknowledging Security, she simply sent a link to the massive file that was the Klingons’ systems, trusting them to just take the information and run with it. The Bridge literally had a bigger issue to deal with at the moment, and it was making the CTO increasingly nervous. 
 
“Heading set, and breaking orbit.” Black confirmed, as the ship moved away from the planet. “Approaching coordinates.” Maggie found herself biting her bottom lip in anticipation, something she hadn’t done in quite a while. 
 
You’ve been base-side too long, She chided herself. Being a ‘Commander’ doesn’t mean much if you don’t have the experience to back it up. It had been more of an administrative title, she knew, but ranking up had made her very happy at the time. Now, Maggie was seeing that she had been more right than she knew to take a rank demotion to be here “as a favor.” Jenny Braggins may have been a kid, but she wasn’t in the Captain’s chair, biting her lip.
 
The Philadelphia got into position just in time - a massive surge in the layer of subspace rocked the ship, shields holding steady. Now standing before them was a ship just over twelve times their size - and luckily (?) not a Crystalline Entity. While they were expecting a crystal snowflake in space, this ship still resembled a gemstone, and its pretty exterior did nothing to lessen the dread that poured over Murphy like radiation. 
 
“Tholians…” Murphy said, low enough to clearly be scared, but loud enough to be heard. She was glad shields were already up, but they were bugs on the windshield to the Tholians. 
 
 
 
==Boo, the GM made me do math!==


#77 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22208.16 @ 20:10 (08:10 PM)

They are few and far between, but there are those moments when you see something for the first time, and your mind just stops as you process what you're seeing and it's both terrifying and beautiful at the same time.

 

This was Black's response to what she now saw.

 

The vessel that dropped out of subspace and came to a stop before them was like something out of a dream. It's shimmering faceted surface reflecting or producing every frequency of light as it glistened on the screen like the finest gemstone ever. The rear fins glistened and glittered as they slowly moved around the hull as if they were about to buzz like the wings of a giant insect. It was absolutely stunning. It took a concerted effort to briefly look away to check the ships passive scans to reveal the bristling armament that it also sported. And that's where the fear came in.

 

It was nothing like Black had ever seen. And she had seen a lot. It certainly didn't match anything in the database. That was for sure.

 

The chill and shudder it initially sent through her, she felt her whole body tense. It was a feeling she hadn't felt in quite a while. It was another second or so before she realised she was holding her breath.

 

Other than the hum of the bridge. You could have heard a pin drop she thought.

 

Then Murphy said; “Tholians…”



#78 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22208.25 @ 00:29 (12:29 AM)

Jenny stared dumbfounded at the screen as the ship hove into view; the giant gemstone that was the Tholian ship dwarfed any ship she had served upon or even seen with the exception of the Borg Megasphere, and struck a new kind of terror in the pit of her stomach. If this was, as she suspected, the new Tholian Dreadnought that Star Fleet Intelligence had speculated about, it only had one purpose; the annihilation of everything in its path. Tholian foreign policy being what it was, a case of if they wanted it they annexed it, a massive warship capable of destroying entire fleets in the same kind of blunt force approach as a Borg Cube made sense. This ship appeared to be alone, which meant that there was no immediate danger of Jateran becoming the next Tholian outpost, but it was still twenty times the size of the Philadelphia and probably outgunned her by a similar ratio.

 

Which meant they were in serious trouble.

 

"Red Alert. I want a full systems scan of that ship; weapons, engines, lifesigns, anything."

 

Settling into her chair and suddenly very cogniscient of the thousands of Star Fleet personnel who would either live or die based on her decision, not to mention the entire J'Shashian species, Jenny was once again reminded of the warning she'd once been given by her father - command wasn't for everyone, and sometimes the decisions a captain made would have galaxy-changing ramifications.

 

"Open a channel."

 

Here we go again...

 

"Tholian vessel, this is Captain Jennifer Braggins of the Federation Starship Philadelphia. You have entered the territory of a Federation ally. Can we be of assistance?"

 

Don't take it as a challenge. Please don't take it as a challenge.



#79 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22208.27 @ 20:30 (08:30 PM)

It took a moment for the command given by the Captain to sink in as Black looked at the massive sparkling object that filled the screen.

 

"Red Alert. I want a full systems scan of that ship; weapons, engines, lifesigns, anything."

 

“Um... On it.” She said eventually. Her fingers flying across the controls.

 

Scan it? It's Tholian? That thing is huge. How the hell did they grow it so big?

 

She'd only seen one other Tholian ship in her career. It was late in her first tour aboard the USS Busan. It was only one of their smaller patrol craft, but it was comparable to the Busan in size. And terrifying all the same. Captain Hauptmann, her commanding officer then, had managed to defuse that situation with what had seemed like practised ease. She was now praying that Captain Braggins could do the same.

 

It took only seconds, but the sensors began returning some results. Whether it was going to be useful, that was another story. Information is only useful if you understand it. And from what she personally knew about Tholian technology. The learning curve ahead of them was going to be on a scale that certainly matched what they were looking at.

 

 

== GM – Scan results please. (Should we just start rolling up new characters now?) ==



#80 GM-18

GM-18

    Member

  • Game Moderators
  • Pip
  • 1401 posts
  • Game Moderator

Posted Star Date 22208.28 @ 17:41 (05:41 PM)

==Always good to have a spare character handy...==

 

The surface of the ship was impenetrable, meaning an accurate lifesign count was impossible. Surface scans, however, showed dozens of weapons banks and torpedo tubes, and at the very prow of the ship was an aperture that appeared to be similar in nature to a Star Fleet deflector dish.

 

Energy emissions from the rear of the ship indicated the presence of a rudimentary Transwarp Drive.

 

The communication system immediately came alive with frenetic squealing and clicking of the Tholian language; whoever was speaking was definitely not happy.

 

[This is Admiral Zerene; we do not treat with deicides and defilers! Surrender your vessel and submit to punishment for your crimes, or face annihilation.]



#81 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.02 @ 16:27 (04:27 PM)

Things had gotten very icy on the Bridge. Everyone had stilled, like a gazelle that knew it was being hunted, or a rabbit that knew it was in its last seconds of life. The giant Tholian ship on screen was like staring down a moose or a bison; they knew how big they were, and they were using this intimidation tactic at ease. 
 
“Red Alert.” Braggins said. The rest of the Bridge, bunnies in the eyes of coyotes, twitched into action. “I want a full systems scan of that ship; weapons, engines, lifesigns, anything.” Both Murphy and Black hopped to all of those orders, Murphy not caring who got to it first, as long as it got done, and as fast as possible. Better for things to get done twice rather than not at all, she figured. Especially -her eyes darted back up to the viewscreen, checking to make sure the wolf was still standing in the door of the hen house- it didn’t hurt to double-check. 
 
It could have been one moment, it could have been three, but the Captain also made another critical decision: “Open a channel.” Black was still furiously pressing buttons, Murphy found herself a half-second behind as Black’s orders to the computer went through first. So it was Murphy who opened the channel, even though pressing the button felt like opening the Philadelphia’s cargo bays while there was a fire-fight outside. 
 
“Tholian vessel, this is Captain Jennifer Braggins of the Federation Starship Philadelphia. You have entered the territory of a Federation ally. Can we be of assistance?”
 
The results from Murphy and Black’s scans were, of course, not encouraging. Lifesigns were inaccurate at best, scans of the hull showed multiple weapons, and residual signatures showed the educated guesses of transwarp technology. 
 
Angry squeaking and shrieking came back to them; the Tholians always sounded ‘not happy,’ but in this case, the Universal Translator did not translate the shrill sounds into anything that might resemble ‘cordial’ anyway. 
 
[This is Admiral Zerene; we do not treat with deicides and defilers! Surrender your vessel and submit to punishment for your crimes, or face annihilation.]
 
Oh, good, Maggie thought, her coping mechanism always set to its default of ‘sarcasm.’ Guess they’re mad? What’s a ‘ deicide’, anyway? Gonna have to look that one up! At least they’re educated.
 
 
 
==Ok, so I’ve been binge-watching Yukon Vet! You can’t tell that easily, can you?! LOL!==


#82 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22209.02 @ 19:18 (07:18 PM)

Fingers flying over the controls, the results of the active scan streamed over the console. Maz made sure that the same results were sent to Murphy and Braggin's screens as quickly as possible.

 

A life sign scan was impossible the computer returned. The hull was just too thick. Somewhere in the back of her head, from something she'd read back in training. Tholians were crystalline in makeup, and so were their ships and technology, it would be almost impossible to tell them apart without probably a scan so powerful, it would probably cause a feedback loop or something that would shatter them or something. And the size of this thing... Yeah. That ain't gonna happen.

 

The other scans however that could make sense of what they could see dozens of weapons banks and torpedo tubes, and at the very prow of the ship was an aperture that appeared to be similar in nature to a Star Fleet deflector dish. Energy emissions from the rear of the ship indicated the presence of a rudimentary Transwarp Drive.

 

The shear amount of weaponry was jaw dropping. And they had Transwarp too it seemed. That put Earth in easy strike range also, providing they had more than one of these 'Shards of Death'.

 

The cold fear that had flashed through her body seconds before it seemed had no intention of leaving any time soon. Especially when the voice of their Admiral Zerene spoke.

 

Black knew she had a squeaky voice. But Zerene's not only sounded like the proverbial fingers on a blackboard, it had the added feeling like it was attuned to shatter teeth.

 

Maz winced and had to put a finger in her ear and wiggle it about to try to lessen to tingle. Shuddering a little. As she did, she could feel the cold slick sweat which had formed on her neck.

 

Closing her eyes for a second to centre herself, she opened them again and waited for the Captain's response.

 

 

== Tag ==

 



#83 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.18 @ 00:23 (12:23 AM)

[This is Admiral Zerene; we do not treat with deicides and defilers! Surrender your vessel and submit to punishment for your crimes, or face annihilation.]

 

Jenny exhaled slowly; she'd been dreading a repeat confrontation and so had Command, but she'd been follish enough to think that Tholian space was so far away that it would be months before anyone else was in the area. Apparently Tholian propulsion technology was a lot further developed than she'd initially bargained on, and here they were; under-armed and unprepared, guarding three other ships and a planet whose entire arsenal amounted to spitwads in the face of such a juggernaut.

 

And the juggernaut was demanding they surrender.

 

Rock, meet hard place.

 

Straightening in her chair, Jenny glanced back over her shoulder at her Tactical Officer, and knew that there was nothing she could ask of the older woman that could save the situation. Nor could her helm officer get them out of trouble. Even if the Philadelphia herself could get clear of the area, she'd be leaving the other Star Fleet ships and Jateran herself defenceless, not to mention the dozen or so members of her own crew on the surface. It would kill her career as surely as the Tholians would kill her.

 

"Admiral Zerene, this is Captain Braggins. We have reason to believe that the infant Entity is still alive under the surface of Jateran and are investigating methods to extract it without destroying the planet."

 

It wasn't entirely a bluff, she did suspect the Entity had survived, but there was no proof. She just hoped the Tholians were willing to take the bait.



#84 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22209.22 @ 17:59 (05:59 PM)

It felt like a lifetime between the incoming message from the Tholian Admiral to when Braggins responded. Honestly, Black had no idea how the woman seemed to be so calm.

 

But while this was happening. Something shifted in her head. A stray thought about crystals.

 

While growing up, her parents had been deeply into their beliefs of crystal energy. Hell the entire region they'd live in was virtually a Mecca for beatniks and hippies and people who thought that hanging a piece of quartz above their bed or round their chakra point would bring them good health or fortune. It was one of the many reasons on a very long list of reasons that Maz had wanted out of.

 

But the thing was. Some kind of knowledge about such things must have wormed its way into her subconsciously, and it was possibly this that had triggered her thought process.

 

Due to their lattice like structures, they're amazing conductors. Light or sound or energy. Crystals could be used to focus energies in many more ways than just homeopathic mumbo jumbo. She thought.

 

Travelling at warp speeds, Maz wasn't an engineer in any sense, but she knew because she had to, that the matter/anti-matter reactions of the warp core were regulated by Dilithium crystals. And she also knew that their new slipstream drives used Benamite instead.

That was something she had gone out of her way to learn about as no matter what she did, she always felt slightly nauseous every single time she was on a ship that used a slipstream drive. Like she could sense its activation somehow.

 

The thought was pure speculation on her part, but if everything the Tholians had, and were, was made of crystal, surely they could use the resonance of the different crystal structures as a weapon against them?

 

They had little else to go with, so she quickly tapped her idea silently and sent it over to Murphy's station for her to read and see if it made sense.

[Internal scans of that thing are impossible. But different crystal forms resonate at different frequencies. And that's one hell of a crystal. If we know what frequencies would shatter our Benamite crystals in our slipstream drive. They must have something similar as they got here so fast. Maybe we could send a signal that would resonate with their drive and disable it?]

 

== Tag Murphy ==

 



#85 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.25 @ 02:29 (02:29 AM)

Scans for life forms were useless - as much as the Federation understood them, the Tholians’ ships were made out of their own, if not similar, biological material. And with a ship this gigantic, there could easily be a few colonies’ worth of Tholians on board, manning stations that did gods-know-what. The Philly would be dust in two seconds flat should they decide to sneeze in their general direction. 
 
“Admiral Zerene,” the girl straightened her uniform before replying, “this is Captain Braggins. We have reason to believe that the infant Entity is still alive under the surface of Jateran and are investigating methods to extract it without destroying the planet.”
 
We think that?! Maggie thought, glad the opposition couldn’t see her face. She was usually really bad at hiding her emotions. Well, I guess we didn’t send our Engineers down for nothing…
 
Thank goodness there was a beep at her console, and the flashing message overlaid the other windows. An internal message, like passing notes, came from Black to Murphy.
 
[Internal scans of that thing are impossible. But different crystal forms resonate at different frequencies. And that's one hell of a crystal. If we know what frequencies would shatter our Benamite crystals in our slipstream drive... They must have something similar as they got here so fast. Maybe we could send a signal that would resonate with their drive and disable it?]
 
Maggie frowned. 
 
[Any signal sent would probably be seen as an act of aggression.] Murphy typed back quickly. She paused as she thought about what to say next. [Not that I disagree with you. Start looking up what we know about their crystal make-up, and maybe that’ll be enough to present something to the Captain.]
 
She worried about being able to out-smart them, especially since there was no way they were going to out-gun them. Not to say it couldn’t be done: Captain Archer had certainly come across them a couple times, right? And he was as hard-headed as Maggie was. 
 
 
==Taggys==


#86 GM-Creative Director

GM-Creative Director

    Member

  • Game Moderators-Admin
  • Pip
  • 379 posts
  • Sitewide Game Moderator
  • Omnipresent

Posted Star Date 22209.25 @ 02:57 (02:57 AM)

The Tholian Admiral seemed taken aback by Braggins' comment, or it would at least seem that way given the reply from the Dreadnought was delayed. Even passive sensors would have picked up the colossus turning its own sensors planetward, scouring the area the Away Team had been sent to. When the reply came back, it was a series of chitters and squeaks that no longer seemed irritated or angry, but excited.

 

[The ritual begins! The holy site will be purged in preparation. Depart now.]



#87 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22209.26 @ 18:14 (06:14 PM)

[Any signal sent would probably be seen as an act of aggression.] Was Murphy's instant reply. Maz couldn't help but agree with it. That's why she wanted to bounce the idea first.

 

[Not that I disagree with you. Start looking up what we know about their crystal make-up, and maybe that’ll be enough to present something to the Captain.]

 

But before she had a chance to do anything else, the Tholian Admiral responded to Braggins words in an almost excited way. [The ritual begins! The holy site will be purged in preparation. Depart now.]

 

That was surprising to say the least.

 

Without thinking, her hands automatically moved to and hovered above the helm controls ready for the Captains orders. If they were about to move again, either to or away from the planet, seconds were key.

 

Where's an optimistic Klingon with a homily about death when you need one? She asked herself as she waited.



#88 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

    Creative Director

  • Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.30 @ 00:53 (12:53 AM)

[The ritual begins! The holy site will be purged in preparation. Depart now.]
 
Had Jenny not already been on-edge, the Tholian's remark would have sent chills down her spine. Nobody would ever have guessed the Tholians were a theocracy, worshipping beings that devoured thousands if not billions of life forms as it journeyed the galaxy, but it wasn't far off to call them zealots. When they set their mind to something, especially annexing and terraforming worlds for their own purposes, they were remarkably single-minded and didn't much care for anyone who stood in their way. The smart thing to do in this situation, would be to recover her people and immediately make tracks for friendly territory.
 
But that didn't make it the right thing to do.
 
"Helm, put us between the Dreadnought and Jateran. Ops, signal the flotilla; order them to arm weapons and warm up their Slipstream Drives. If the Dreadnought moves so much as an inch closer to the planet, they are to open fire on the excavation site then run like hell."
 
Aware that she was about to provoke a second shooting incident with the Tholians in as many months, Jenny hoped the history books would at least remember that the first time the Philadelphia had not returned fire, and this time they were literally the only thing standing between the J'Shashian people and genocide. 
 
"Admiral Zerene, I have people on that planet trying to ascertain the status of the infant entity. If you purge the site, you will be committing an act of war against the Federation - the second such act perpetrated by the Assembly in recent times. If the entity lives, it is my responsibility to ensure it is born without destroying the planet below or consuming its inhabitants; I will not let you jeopardise my mission, nor will I risk the lives of billions of innocent citizens. You have a choice: we can resolve this my way, with minimum loss of life; or we can do it your way, which will inevitably lead to a long and bloody war between our peoples."
 
Jenny was proud of herself for standing her ground, despite it being entirely against her nature. That said, she was in command of one of the smallest independent vessels in Starfleet, and even the threat of war wasn't likely to sway a Tholian who was set on a single course of action. She needed to back her words up with something punchy, and an unfortunate (and highly classified) memory rushed into her brain that might just make Zerene take heed of her words.
 
"I don't believe I need to remind you what happened to the Krynar when they tested our resolve..."


#89 GM-Creative Director

GM-Creative Director

    Member

  • Game Moderators-Admin
  • Pip
  • 379 posts
  • Sitewide Game Moderator
  • Omnipresent

Posted Star Date 22210.03 @ 01:07 (01:07 AM)

The Tholian Admiral replied only with a series of furious squeals and clicks that the Universal Translator was either unable, or unwilling to translate into English. The Dreadnought, however, remained hanging in space neither moving towards or away from the planet.

 

The Borqu', however, had armed weapons and was beginning to move into intercept position.



#90 Lt Theresa M. Black

Lt Theresa M. Black

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Star Date 22210.04 @ 19:47 (07:47 PM)

I must be psychic. She thought as the Captain gave the order to move the ship a second later than Black had unconsciously had the thought.

 

"Helm, put us between the Dreadnought and Jateran. Ops, signal the flotilla; order them to arm weapons and warm up their Slipstream Drives. If the Dreadnought moves so much as an inch closer to the planet, they are to open fire on the excavation site then run like hell."

 

Maz's fingers danced across the helm controls inputting the commands and engaging them without bothering to wait for confirmation.

 

“Helm answering.” She said even before she'd tapped the final command. “Moving us to position.”

 

On her display, she could see the other Federation vessels beginning to reorientate themselves. The Tholian was remaining stationary. And then there were obviously the smaller Jateran vessels in the orbit along with...

 

Ah, hell...

 

“Ma'am. I'm showing the Klingon ship is powering up her weapons, and moving to intercept...”

 

The Philadelphia was still in transit. Black's orders were to keep the ship between the Tholian and the planet. But at the same time, she knew if the Klingon opened fire on the Tholian, all bets would be off.

 

Her history was full of rash moves that had either gone completely astray and dropped her in so much trouble, she wasn't sure to this day how she was still allowed in Starfleet, or somehow worked. And right now, her first thought was to change heading and put the Philadelphia, between the Tholians and the Klingons.

 

All she knew was, she was older now. And probably still no wiser. Change course without permission and hope, or follow orders and hope...

 

== Tag all ==



#91 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

    Member

  • Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22210.05 @ 01:25 (01:25 AM)

[The ritual begins!] The Tholians chattered. [The holy site will be purged in preparation. Depart now.] 
 
Religious nuts never played well in Maggie’s book. Even as a child, she had raised a skeptical eyebrow towards those who preached the ideas of a patriarchal being that needed their praises. 
 
“Helm,” Braggins commanded, “put us between the Dreadnought and Jateran. Ops, signal the flotilla; order them to arm weapons and warm up their Slipstream Drives. If the Dreadnought moves so much as an inch closer to the planet, they are to open fire on the excavation site then run like hell.”
 
Black had been ready for the orders, and her fingers moved quickly over the console. Maggie lagged just one second behind, her thoughts with the Away Team that stood on the surface of the planet -and “holy site”- in question. Braggins continued talking, most likely to stall the Tholians, as Maggie couldn’t see a path in which they could be swayed. Her proposed ultimatum sounded much like something Maggie’s father used to say to her as a child, when she and her siblings could not bring themselves to stop fighting and egging each other on.
 
It’s my way or the highway.’
 
There was a moment in which Mags was fairly certain the whole Bridge held their breath; the Tholians clicked and chirped, and the Universal Translator did nothing. Alerts came up on the Tactical stations though, warning of a ship in close proximity that was arming its weapons. Maggie didn’t need to click on the notification to know that it was the Klingons. 
 
Aren’t there only like, two or three of them still on that ship? Feisty till they died, that was the Klingon way for certain. 
 
“Ma'am.” It was Black who spoke up, “I'm showing the Klingon ship is powering up her weapons, and moving to intercept…”
 
Maggie didn’t mean to sound quite as annoyed as her tone came out, but it was the tone of an exasperated mother trying to chide her young. “Permission to move between us and the Klingons?” She asked Braggins, ready to make the move herself. Brains dictated that the Borqu’ had roughly a snowball’s chance in hell against the Philadelphia, much less the Tholians, but hard-headedness surely told them to stand up to the bullies all the same. 
 
 
==Tag Captain / Black / GM==