#1 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1908 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.09 @ 22:21 (10:21 PM)

==Smaller than most Engine Rooms in the Fleet, the Philadelphia's Engineering Section is roughly rectangular in shape. The main foyer area has four consoles, two on each wall, to monitor critical systems. A ladder and lift occupy the walls to allow access to the workspaces above and below Main Engineering. At the rear of the section, accessible by steps, is the Warp Core itself. The Core is several decks tall, continuing into the deck above and below, but the main systems are accessible from this area. Another ladder sits behind the Warp Core to allow access to other systems related to the Power Distribution Network.==

#2 Lt Altairi Hydish

Lt Altairi Hydish

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 249 posts
  • Chief Engineer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.10 @ 02:39 (02:39 AM)

"Y'ge-" Altairi stopped himself before he could say anything his mother would have chided him for, suddenly dropping his PADD to tug at the darkened corners of his eyes. It clattered to the floor with a rather violent flurry of noise, drawing a concerned glance from a passing petty officer.

He produced a pained sigh, which quickly became a groan, as he picked the device up. The chief continued his little solo of miserable utterances on his way to the room's lift.

Molten insulation tubes, fractured power lines, and a really angry warp core were only a fraction of the problems it seemed the Philadelphia's mission over Jateran had caused. At the moment, he had people ripping out blocks of machinery by the main deflector and fastening replacement components from the USS Scott, the unfortunate effects of several months of mechanical stress culminating in one final snap. 

And those were just the engineering problems. Altairi and the vast majority of his active staff were still immensely fatigued between attending to deck fires, sensor shortages, Tholians...  

The chief stepped off the elevator platform onto engineering's second platform overlooking the Warp Core, making his way to the rim, slinging the PADD by the side of his utility belt, and placing his hands on the edge of the railing.

Another groan left a pair of tired lungs, taking a nose dive and gliding gently across the floor of the deck below. Altairi's eyes set on the dancing lights of the Warp Core, trying to put his mind at ease with the vibrant blue hues.

In the leaping of colors, however, all he saw was fire.

#3 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1908 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.12 @ 22:51 (10:51 PM)

==After Meeting with Jensen==

It wasn't often that Jenny visited Engineering aboard the Philadelphia; unlike the Artemis, the room was cramped and didn't have much room for visitors, nor did it had the adjoining workshops that she could commandeer from time to time for her own construction projects. This visit, however, was important; it had come to her attention that she was getting a new Engineer who was senior in rank and experience to her current Chief Engineer, this was something she wanted to address with the young Ktarian in person, in a setting he was comfortable with.

And I can order him to get some sleep as well.

Jenny had known that Hydish and his people were burning the candle at both ends, and had so far refrained from ordering the Engineering staff to take some time off and leave the ship in the hands of the Scott's own staff. It would be an affront to Hydish's team, of which many of whom had diligently worked around the clock since the Philadelphia had left the shipyard for her acceptance trials, and to be completely honest Jenny wasn't entirely sure she trusted anyone who she hadn't served with for almost three months. Shoddy workmanship had cost the lives of a Captain and Lieutenant aboard the Charon, not that either was a great loss in the grand scheme of things, and an improperly stress-tested system aboard the Philadelphia had cost the lives of two Enlisted personnel - one of whom had been acting as Jenny's Yeoman and babysitter for her infant daughter.

Quality control at the shipyards has gone downhill in much the same way teaching at the Academy has, it seems.

Jenny found Hydish on the upper floor of Engineering, staring at the warp core. He seemed to be lost in thought, and it was a shame to disturb him, but needs must.

"Mister Hydish, a word?"

When he didn't respond immediately, Jenny frowned in concern and took another step closer. She'd gotten good at reading people, and the young man's eyes seemed haunted, likely by the traumatic events of two weeks previously.

"Lieutenant? Altairi? Are you okay?"

#4 Lt Altairi Hydish

Lt Altairi Hydish

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 249 posts
  • Chief Engineer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.13 @ 00:58 (12:58 AM)

Crackling. He remembered that noise all too well...

He remembered the panting of his own breath, the coughs trickling their way up his throat, cutting roughly past smoke-painted flesh, a dry landscape. A familiar feeling of... singeing... leapt across his cheek. Altairi instinctively brought his hand to a faded, blackened mark running down frighteningly paled skin-- apparently the 5-03 fire had done more damage than he thought at first. There was a shiver now, starting first in his fingers, shooting up his spine. The Ktarian drew a long, fatigued breath, trying to mute the sounds of crackling flames that were trying to assert themselves at the moment.

A concerned, faintly authoritative, voice was the sound that finally cut through the cacophony. "Lieutenant? Altairi? Are you okay?"

Altairi spun, blinking, and still not fully absent of that little shiver. Captain Braggins? Why... Why was she here, in Engineering? Did I... Did..? 

"M-ma'am?" The lieutenant snapped to attention, though perhaps a few seconds too late to save any of his dignity. "I'm- I'm fine," he continued, purely by instinct, "Do you- Do you need something?"

Dark bags hung under Hydish's dulled yellow eyes, which themselves hung under frayed, dust-coated hair. An hour-old stain ran across the collar of his uniform, clumsily drawn by a Ktarian coffee analogue in one of the chief's less coherent moments. He looked like a freshly uncovered corpse. Perhaps if he'd been provided with a mirror, Altairi would've fainted and lapsed into a nightmare instantly.

Perhaps a fainting spell would have been a healthier alternative to... well... whatever he was doing.

== Tag ==

#5 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1908 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.13 @ 01:37 (01:37 AM)

Hydish jumped and span when he finally heard her voice, snapping to attention immediately and stammering a reply. Bad sign number one. The bags under his eyes, pale skin, and the generally-unkept uniform replete with coffee stains were the opposite to what she had come to expect from the young Engineer. Bad signs numbers two and three. All signs pointed to the idea that this was most definitely a young man unused to the strain of the position he had been put in. That Jenny had put him in. For a moment she felt a pang of guilt, but Star Fleet wasn't for the fainthearted or the daydreamers; people like Troy or Zhodaar, who were now awaiting transportation back to Starbase Alpha along with ch'Alev and the still-comatose Velaul.

Perhaps promoting him this early was a mistake; he's brilliant, but he wasn't ready.

"I'd like to say I need you and your staff to all take twenty-four hours off and get some sleep, but I have a feeling you'd refuse that order for yourself."

Leaning against the bulkhead, Jenny folded her arms, PADD still clutched in her right hand, and stared at Hydish appraisingly. It didn't take a telepath to know that the man was hurting, and it wasn't the long hours he and his people had been pulling due to being one Engineer down since leaving spacedock. If Jenny had to guess, it was the fire; it had been an accident, independent investigators from the Scott had blamed faulty components and cleared any Philadelphia crewmember of wrongdoing, but the ship was Hydish's responsibility, and he likely blamed himself for the loss of two lives.

They're the first two losses on his conscience. How many do I have on mine now? I remember the names and the faces, but I don't think I can keep count any more...

"Do you want to talk about it? Lieutenant Troy has disembarked already, so we don't have a counsellor aboard, but I've been in the headspace I think you're in right now. Alternatively I can put a communication through to Captain Poulson on the Phlox to arrange an appointment for you with someone on her staff, but counsellors like to make sure they earn their pay, and you'll probably be scheduled for appointments for the next decade or two."

#6 Lt Altairi Hydish

Lt Altairi Hydish

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 249 posts
  • Chief Engineer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.14 @ 00:08 (12:08 AM)

"I'd like to say I need you and your staff to all take twenty-four hours off and get some sleep, but I have a feeling you'd refuse that order for yourself."

Altairi looked sadly at the captain, silent save for a brief moment in which his knees began to buckle from exhaustion; he tried to hide the wince that flashed across his face by turning his head and supporting himself on a nearby safety railing. He wasn't sure that he could even get any sleep during the proposed break, knowing that something could erupt into flame at any moment as it had before. Knowing he could be thrust into another crisis, knowing he could freeze up and panic again, knowing that he could- 

He let Braggins continue, unwilling to speak, lest he manage to stutter and cry his way into a psychiatric ward.

Sure enough, the captain did continue. "Do you want to talk about it? Lieutenant Troy has disembarked already, so we don't have a counsellor aboard, but I've been in the headspace I think you're in right now. Alternatively I can put a communication through to Captain Poulson on the Phlox to arrange an appointment for you with someone on her staff, but counsellors like to make sure they earn their pay, and you'll probably be scheduled for appointments for the next decade or two."

"I-If it's convenient for you," he paused, sighing, killing a rising need to yawn, unconsciously tightening his grip on the railing while he did, "I can talk- But I'm not sure that's the reason you c-came here, is it?" Altairi removed a glove, and rather distractedly picked at the dust on his hair. 

What had happened-- between his most adamant childhood aspirations and now? Where did it go wrong-- that he grew to hate the burden of responsibility that came with a chief engineer's position? What had finally killed that bright, young engineer who'd rocketed through the academy onto the deck of the Tesla? Two missions into his career, and Altairi was already wondering if he wanted to hitch a ride for a third.

He blinked and turned nervously back to Captain Braggins, wondering if he'd blanked out and missed something.

== Tag ==

#7 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1908 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.14 @ 02:06 (02:06 AM)

Hydish looked and sounded awful; Jenny could see his knees were slightly trembling, as if he wasn't able to support his own weight using only his own limbs. He also seemed to refuse to meet her eyes, and that was bad sign number four. The way he seemed only barely aware of what was going on around him, the stammering and the random pauses, bad signs number five and six.

Kid's hanging on by a thread.

Jenny leaned on the safety bar next to Hydish and stared at the warp core, the pulsating blue as it idled reminding her of the immense power under her command. The Philadelphia wasn't from the biggest nor the most prestigious class in Star Fleet, she was in fact the smallest independent starship in the fleet, but she had the most heart. Small ships always did; ships like the Voltaire, the first ship she'd been entrusted with command of, despite being tied to the Artemis and not fully able to operate independently.

"One of the benefits of being Captain is that I can go anywhere on the ship without really needing a reason. But no, it isn't..."

Hydish had ceased absentmindedly fiddling with things and was now looking at her again. His eyes looked haunted, and part of her heart broke at the idea that a person so young could be in so much pain. She clamped down on that very quickly, however; she'd been younger and suffered more, and this wasn't going to be the first emergency that would put unfair demands on the Lieutenant's conscience and self-esteem.

"I did actually want to let you know in person how proud I am of you and your team; you saved the ship twice, there are fifty people aboard who owe you their lives."

Even though no official, or even unofficial mention of the aftermath of the situation with the plasma fire had reached her ears, Jenny had a sneaking suspicion that that was where Hydish's thoughts lay. People had died due to defective components that had simply slipped by the quality assurance people, and Hydish had been responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of those components. If he was blaming himself, and if Jenny hadn't already been made aware of her former First Officer's failure to act when notified of the incident, she might have blamed him too, it was no surprise he was beating himself up.

"You know, you're one of the first Star Fleet Officers in the last fifty years not to graduate into a conflict or emergency situation; the Federation Council and Star Fleet Command promised us a return to the old ways, to exploration and diplomacy. Exploring strange new worlds is risky, but people weren't supposed to die in stupid accidents..."

Jenny sighed and shook her head, her ponytail swishing about her shoulders.

"I'm sorry you had to experience that while you were still so young; I made you Chief Engineer because you're a natural mechanic and have got the makings of a phenomenal officer; you just needed the confidence boost and authority to put your own mark on the department. Unfortunately that authority comes with extra responsibilities, and while I wish I could say it gets easier, I'd be lying. What I do know, however, is that you saved the ship and Vani wouldn't have wanted it any other way. As an Andorian, and as a member of Star Fleet, she knew that she might die in service; she accepted the risks and did the job anyway, and she wouldn't want anyone to mourn her loss if it meant others got to live."

#8 Lt Altairi Hydish

Lt Altairi Hydish

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 249 posts
  • Chief Engineer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.14 @ 20:04 (08:04 PM)

He tried to make little nods between every sentence that came out of the Captain's mouth; but, it became difficult at every expression of praise from Braggins. Altairi hadn't saved the ship; he'd helped, he'd coordinated, but he hadn't been the one to finally end the fire; he hadn't been the one to come up with a plan to neutralize the isolytic warhead.

If Asfar hadn't been in main engineering, he wouldn't have been able to reflect on the moment later.

Vani... Altairi hadn't found out about crewman Zh'Norte's death until after the mission. That, like the faulty components that had begun the whole monstrous ordeal, had been another fatal oversight. Perhaps he couldn't possibly have accounted for her leaving her comm badge behind, and... maybe Vani's early death had saved the ship and saved other lives from the fire. But it had been him who'd given the order that killed her. Could anyone have let that fact slide?

"She didn't need to die to save the... I c-could've waited, maybe a mi- And, maybe she wouldn't-" He cut himself short; would a minute really have made a difference? Who else could the fire have killed if he'd delayed himself?

Why would he have delayed himself? Logic dictated that he'd done everything correctly back with the fire, and he still couldn't kill the feeling of guilt. Why? Why couldn't he kill that feeling and finally-?!

The Vulcans had a saying, one repeated an agonizing amount of times in Starfleet's history, and one crewman Vlokar had refused to let the young Ktarian forget. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, whispered the emotionless voice that continued to demand the attention of his ear and mind. Illogical. You're acting illogical, the Vulcan's voice played back in his ear.

He didn't know what he could possible say in response-- what could he possibly think that wouldn't sound illogical or self-pitying?

Altairi reestablished eye contact with the captain, realizing the extent of his mind's wandering. 

He drew another long breath, shaky and yet a tinge bit more confident than he'd managed before. "I..." The Ktarian interrupted himself with a cough, trying to clear an emerging stammer. "I think I need to think about s-something else."

"But... Thank you, ma'am.." Altairi formed a slight smile, briefly forgetting the aching muscles that were causing his knees to buckle and his feet to begin to slip. When he did realize, the smile began a wince, then warped to support a muted groan.

The lieutenant pushed off from the railing, stumbling his way into a seat.

== Tag ==

#9 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1908 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.14 @ 21:16 (09:16 PM)

Hydish continued to stammer his responses, though he was at least managing to show some emotion other than exhausted as he spoke. He was right, she hadn't needed to die, but she had and while it had been his order that had consigned the young Andorian to hard vacuum, it didn't make it his fault. As he grew as a person, he would learn the hard lesson that Jenny had learned following the Battle of Tellar - there was a difference between fault and blame. You can be blamed for something that wasn't your fault, or not be blamed for something that was - Hydish's case was the former, he was blaming himself for something beyond his control.

He'll get it eventually.

Hydish's exhaustion was getting the better of him, Jenny could see his knees were shaking again. Following the young Lieutenant as he staggered to the closest chair, which fortunately was at an auxiliary observation station only a few feet away, Jenny crouched down before him. His request to talk about something different was something she could accommodate easily, as it segued back into her reason for visiting. Was this the right time to spring such a thing? Probably not, but the needs of Star Fleet ultimately outweighed the needs of one overworked and emotionally-exhausted Lieutenant.

"The J'Shashians have requested we assist them in excavating their Dust Bowl region before we start terraforming; they want to know what is beneath the surface that prevents any life thriving there, and to be sure that the infant Crystalline Entity isn't going to cause any more problems for their planet. I want you leading the Engineering complement on that effort; I know it's not your specialty, but getting some ground under your feet and away from the ship will do you good. That can wait until after you've had a good night's sleep, however, and yes...that is an order. I can't have my Chief Engineer showing up exhausted, and it wouldn't do for you to fall asleep on your first day of the job as a full Lieutenant, would it?"

#10 Lt Altairi Hydish

Lt Altairi Hydish

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 249 posts
  • Chief Engineer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.15 @ 15:23 (03:23 PM)

He didn't know what to say.

Braggins couldn't be serious. Promoting him?! What have I even done to warrant-? Surely the captain was joking, or just trying to make him feel better. No... Altairi blinked, shaking his head slightly. He knew well enough how to read people. If the faint glimmer in Braggins' eyes was any indication of her own intentions, this was genuine. For whatever reason, she saw him fit to bear a lieutenant's pips.

Altairi nodded, silently and slightly-- it was hopefully enough to convey his acknowledgement of the mission ahead and of the captain's unassailable decisions. He bled reluctance as he picked himself up from the auxiliary station and took hold of the nearby railing.

He looked appraisingly at Braggins once approaching the small lift, wondering if and almost hoping she'd decide to double back on her orders. If that was her intent, the captain made no indication of it.

Full lieutenant at the age of 21... Altairi thought as a pair of stout folding doors interlaced at the mouth of the lift. A younger Hydish would have regarded it as a dream-come-true; the tears that were now trickling from his eyes would have been tears of joy, and not of regret, guilt, and confusion. Apparently he'd changed a great deal since then.

He wondered if his parents would still have recognized him if they'd seen him now.

--> Crew Quarters -->

#11 Lt (JG) Asfar Farhat Alturkia {Black}

Lt (JG) Asfar Farhat Alturkia {Black}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 522 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.19 @ 20:18 (08:18 PM)

== NRC – CM Neze Nobir – Trill Engineer ==

In the time between the end of the world and now, Neze had been on light duties. Her burns had been healed, and she had been allowed back to work, but so far she had managed to avoid running into the the chief. That of he had been doing his best to avoid her.

Lieutenant Alturkia had been primarily issuing her orders for the last couple of days, but she knew she was in big trouble, and despite him assuring her that Lieutenant Hydish wasn't going to throw the book at her. The unjoined Trill still couldn't help but dread the time when she'd have to talk to her DH face to face.

All she'd wanted to do was get her friends out of the burning room. And, yes, she'd gone about it in probably the most stupidest way possible. But at least she'd tried, she'd concluded.

But each day was a drag as she moved from one diagnostic to another while they made the ship ready along with the crew from the Jupiter. She actually thought about seeing if she could ask for a posting transfer to the larger vessel, but she'd heard too many stories from the crew that the Captain wasn't exactly the most gracious of men, so she'd reconsidered.

Still, running the never ending diagnostics helped. After all, she wasn't feeling as anxious as she had when she'd been first cleared for duty. And she did still need to send a thank you gift to the Caitian medic, despite being allergic to his fur.

Turning her attention back to the job in hand, Neze started to hum a light tune as she reviewed the scrolling screen before her.

#12 Lt. Emily Sloane

Lt. Emily Sloane

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • U.S.S Philadelphia FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.22 @ 17:14 (05:14 PM)

>> Crew Quarters >>

The turbolift doors opened with a hiss, revealing Main Engineering to the Lieutenant.

Just when I thought this ship couldn't get any more compact.

The main section of engineering was comprised of two consoles either side, mounted on the walls, with steps leading up to the warp core. The core itself, pulsing rhythmically, was situated in the centre of the upper area, around which was a circular rail with consoles mounted on the left and the right. Other than a console at the back in the right corner and some ladders, there was little else. Endeavour's Main Engineering had been larger.

Sloane looked around the small room, taking a brief note of who was there as she stepped out of the turbolift. Only two people were in the room, one was monitoring the warp core, the other was standing by a console, seemingly focused on their work. Neither of these two wore Class B uniforms, so Sloane figured neither were the Chief Engineer. 

"Computer, locate Lieutenant Hydish." She said aloud.

Seconds later the response came back: "Lieutenant Hydish is located on Deck Four."

Dammit! Just missed him...

Sighing to herself, she walked over to one of the wall consoles, and pulled up schematics on the Philadelphia again. Anything to occupy the time until the Lieutenant returned.

#13 Lt (JG) Asfar Farhat Alturkia {Black}

Lt (JG) Asfar Farhat Alturkia {Black}

• NRC
  • Pip
  • 522 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.22 @ 19:18 (07:18 PM)

== NRC – PO3 Neze Nobir – Trill Engineer ==

From Neze's location, she watched the woman walk in and then request the location of Chief Hydish.

She didn't recognise the woman, but then again there had been engineering staff from the Jupiter flitting back and forth for the last few days, the young Trill just assumed she was one of them. Whatever she wanted the chief for, it didn't seem that important as the woman then just moved to the other console a few feet away from her.

Out of manners, Neze continued to conduct her diagnostic, but said to the stranger; “Good morning, Ma'am.” Standing so close, she could see the Lieutenants pips on her collar.

== Tag Sloane. If you wish. ==

#14 Lt Altairi Hydish

Lt Altairi Hydish

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 249 posts
  • Chief Engineer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.22 @ 19:59 (07:59 PM)

The doors slid apart and opened to an eyebrow-raising sight in Main Engineering. 

Altairi stared bewilderedly at a figure in an engineering uniform, then at the shape of Nobir, tapping at a nearby console. That latter sight sent a flicker of anger and relief across his face; he'd gone too long without addressing that little stunt in 5-03. But that would have to wait.

He tucked his hands behind his back in an at-ease stance, carefully appraising the more unfamiliar of the two figures. She looked maybe a few inches taller than him, and some years older. The figure's caramel hair stretched into a bun, adding to an aura of professionalism and strength that he'd come to have expected more from Command personnel than anyone else.

But no, that was an engineering uniform.

Altairi managed to pick up a pair of dots on the other engineer's collar; the gears quickly clicked in his head.

He'd been informed to expect a new crewmember-- a Lieutenant Emily Sloane, if memory served him. If that was the case, he supposed he should...

"Chief Engineer on deck," Altairi felt it helpful to announce. "Lieutenant Sloane, I presume?"

== Tag ==

#15 Lt. Emily Sloane

Lt. Emily Sloane

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • U.S.S Philadelphia FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22205.23 @ 19:12 (07:12 PM)

Sloane was observing the console on the wall, still looking over the schematics of the Philadelphia, when the woman standing next to her spoke: 

“Good morning, Ma'am.” The woman said. She was standing very close by, close enough that Sloane could easily make out the spots on her neck. A Trill.

She took a step backwards to free up some room, not quite comfortable being that close, before saying politely: "Good morning, Petty Officer."

She turned back to the schematics and began reading again, it had impressive weapons for a ship of its size, decent shielding as well, but what really caught her eye was that the ship could land on planets. She probably should have guessed that earlier since it was small in size, but that would come in handy if they needed to get planet-side quickly. She was so caught up looking at the schematics she didn't notice the turbolift open, nor the footsteps behind her.

"Chief Engineer on deck," A voice said from behind.

She spun around to face the person who'd spoken, coming face to face with her boss. Her eyes flicked to the ridges on his head, the only thing that showed he wasn't completely human. Sloane wasn't sure what she'd been expecting but certainly not this. He was young, she could see that already, however he carried himself quite well, putting her more at ease. At least he acted like the other Chief Engineers she'd known. Whether he had the experience was another thing...

"Lieutenant Sloane, I presume?" Hydish said, as she snapped to attention.

"Aye, Sir." She said slowly, "Commander Jensen ordered me to report to you."

==Tags==