Photo

Proposal: Retcon of Site History 2377-2399

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Do we retcon site history to meet canon? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we retcon the "filler" years out to reflect a closer relationship with canon?

1. Yes (30 votes [96.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 96.77%

2. No (1 votes [3.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

Vote

#1 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Philadelphia, FSV-66053
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.21 @ 00:33 (12:33 AM)

Greetings Fellow FedSpacers,

I want to start off by saying that this is not already a foregone conclusion. We genuinely want everyone to have a chance to voice their opinion on this topic. The sky is not falling, it's not yet time to abandon ship, this is simply a proposal

When FAdm (later President) Beckett founded FedSpace in 2000, he did so using the Star Fleet Battles and Starfleet Command games as a base. He created 24 years of "filler" history to get events to his starting point, custom starship classes based around a more militaristic Starfleet, and more conflict than you could shake a stick at.

For the first 12 or so years, this worked: FedSpace was an active RPG with over one hundred members and new recruits joining every day. We've seen that number start to drop off as players grow older and have jobs and families, new novels or series' are released which conflict with site canon and are of greater interest to today's fans. The Play-By Forum RPG is also seemingly in something of a twilight, as gaming shifts towards Virtual Reality and instant gratification, people as a whole simply don't want to wait hours or days for a reply.

The proposal, therefore, is this (and please remember this is a proposal, nothing is set in stone):

We take the "filler history" that is barely referenced anyway, and bin it. FedSpace year 0 (so everything written from day 1 of the site, currently 2400) is now 2377. The site's first written Romulan War plot and Borg invasion fit nicely with the Shinzon Incident (2379). Kwalin stealing the USS Pulsar also would fit really well in this post-Dominion War timeframe.

The second Romulan conflict (current years 2408-2410) would fit in the mid 2380s, which fits with canon as this is about the time the Hobus Supernova is happening, and a Tal Shiar or Military Hardliner attack on the Federation to capture resources to protect themselves is something that fits their MO.

The Krynar Crisis now sits in the late 2380s/early 2390s, a resource-strapped and rebuilding Federation now a prime target for "enlightenment".

You get the gist of where this is going.

To clarify: No piece of actual written FS history will be lost. To do so would be disrespectful to the writers that came before us All we are thinking about is cutting out the fluff to better align with what is happening in more recent shows, in the hope that this attracts fans of Picard, Lower Decks, and to a lesser extent, Prodigy. 

If the majority opinion votes "no", nothing changes and we continue as normal. If the majority opinion favours "yes", the Admins and Creative Team will tirelessly work to make the changes as seamlessly as possible.

NOTE: Please only vote using your PRC account to avoid skewing the numbers!

#2 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.21 @ 20:23 (08:23 PM)

We have 18 votes right now, which represents 39% of the site membership. Keep those votes coming in, folks!

If you have constructive questions or concerns you'd like to voice before you vote, or perhaps you've voted and would like clarification or reassurance, please post here or e-mail me so we can discuss how things might look!

#3 Lt (JG) Cornelius Hoekstra

Lt (JG) Cornelius Hoekstra

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 167 posts
  • Engineering Officer
  • USS Charon, RSV-88003
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.22 @ 03:47 (03:47 AM)

If the timeline is shifted to bring it in line with the new shows, to what extent will new missions on Fed-Space reference events from those shows?

As someone who still hasn't seen any of the new shows, will I need to binge watch them prior to this change in order to have a proper context for new missions, or will there still be some distance between the site and the shows' plot lines?

#4 Lt Zamha

Lt Zamha

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 321 posts

Posted Star Date 22209.22 @ 05:16 (05:16 AM)

To me, the first post isn't nearly informative enough. I don't "get the gist of where this is going".

The events you reference as aligning better with canon are pretty much unknown to me, and the post really doesn't clarify what effect these changes would have on present-day F-S.

#5 Capt Jane Fields

Capt Jane Fields

• Commanding Officers
  • Pip
  • 2000 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • USS Titania, RSV-88002
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.22 @ 15:08 (03:08 PM)

I would also like some detail or examples of what this means in practice.

I also haven't watched new shows apart from Picard.

#6 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.22 @ 22:56 (10:56 PM)

If the timeline is shifted to bring it in line with the new shows, to what extent will new missions on Fed-Space reference events from those shows?

As someone who still hasn't seen any of the new shows, will I need to binge watch them prior to this change in order to have a proper context for new missions, or will there still be some distance between the site and the shows' plot lines?

I would also like some detail or examples of what this means in practice.

I also haven't watched new shows apart from Picard.

What this means in practice, is that aside from dates, nothing really changes all that much. The plot will continue, ships will go exploring and do Starfleet-y things, and we'll all enjoy being a community together. Missions based on episodes, when and if they occur, will follow policy of only being loosely-linked, and not having seen the shows simply means that your character won't have known what happened; something which is likely anyway and not, in my opinion, a detriment to plot development or enjoyment.

COs will also be getting a greater amount of autonomy when it comes to developing their missions, so if a CO doesn't want to reference the newer shows in their missions, they don't need to.

The "feel" of the site will remain the same, the ideology of the site will stay the same, in fact we won't be in the Federation's darkest timeline with however many wars in 50 years any more, so it might actually feel closer to the Star Trek we all know and love.

To me, the first post isn't nearly informative enough. I don't "get the gist of where this is going".

The events you reference as aligning better with canon are pretty much unknown to me, and the post really doesn't clarify what effect these changes would have on present-day F-S.

Since you're newer to the site, and none of these events happened during your time here, I understand why you don't think this post is informative enough and I apologise if this was a source of frustration.

As mentioned above, the impact this has on present-day FS is very small, aside from Stardates needing to be changed (which we really needed to do anyway to ensure the whole site was using the same system). We might replace the Merian-class (which is an NPC class of ship currently) with something that appears in canon, and missions might reference events in Picard, Lower Decks, or Voyager.

Which will be retconned to have returned home; the technology this yields, such as mobile emitters and regenerative shielding, need to be discussed by the new Creative Team.

#7 RAdm Abigail Taylor

RAdm Abigail Taylor

• Retired Accounts
  • Pip
  • 237 posts

Posted Star Date 22209.22 @ 23:44 (11:44 PM)

As a player that has been around more or less 15 years, this hurts my heart.

No, some of that history that Jon wrote wasn’t played out in game. But it laid the foundation for what the site is today. It might not be obvious to newer players, but it informed many a ship mission over the last two decades. When I would write character histories, they would often contain some of that history and it’s impacts on my character; I know I wasn’t the only one.

I understand the why behind why you would want to implement this change, but I think there’s easier ways to integrate the new canon without erasing so many years of site history.

This feels like ripping out the first few chapters of a book. Sure, you’d still be able to read and enjoy it, but it might always feel like something is missing.

#8 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.23 @ 00:35 (12:35 AM)

As a player that has been around more or less 15 years, this hurts my heart.

No, some of that history that Jon wrote wasn’t played out in game. But it laid the foundation for what the site is today. It might not be obvious to newer players, but it informed many a ship mission over the last two decades. When I would write character histories, they would often contain some of that history and it’s impacts on my character; I know I wasn’t the only one.

I understand the why behind why you would want to implement this change, but I think there’s easier ways to integrate the new canon without erasing so many years of site history.

This feels like ripping out the first few chapters of a book. Sure, you’d still be able to read and enjoy it, but it might always feel like something is missing.

I'm sorry that this hurts you, that was not our intention.

When I first had the spark of the idea, I checked the wiki for bio references to anything that happened pre-2400 to prevent us overwriting anything drastic. While a few bios mention the General War, most if not all of those players have long since left. Few, if any, of the other events are referenced.

I'd like to reiterate that anything that has been written by FS members on the forums will remain part of our history and canon, so rather than ripping out the first few chapters we're just rewriting the prologue. However, if you have alternate ideas, please feel free to e-mail us to discuss them!

#9 Lt Zamha

Lt Zamha

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 321 posts

Posted Star Date 22209.23 @ 06:20 (06:20 AM)

As mentioned above, the impact this has on present-day FS is very small, aside from Stardates needing to be changed (which we really needed to do anyway to ensure the whole site was using the same system). We might replace the Merian-class (which is an NPC class of ship currently) with something that appears in canon, and missions might reference events in Picard, Lower Decks, or Voyager.

Which will be retconned to have returned home; the technology this yields, such as mobile emitters and regenerative shielding, need to be discussed by the new Creative Team.

While I'm not at all opposed to bringing back Voyager, that retcon would have a significant effect on my other character, Haka-Ard. I've had to dance around the secrecy surrounding the Delta Quadrant origin of the QSD from writing his background forward.

The timeline adjustment would even have a minor effect on Zamha, as it would mean he was born about the time his planet joined the Federation (which I had previously suggested was a feel-good political move by the Federation following the end of the Dominion war).

So, quite a few more ripples than you may have thought.

#10 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.24 @ 01:29 (01:29 AM)

While I'm not at all opposed to bringing back Voyager, that retcon would have a significant effect on my other character, Haka-Ard. I've had to dance around the secrecy surrounding the Delta Quadrant origin of the QSD from writing his background forward.

The timeline adjustment would even have a minor effect on Zamha, as it would mean he was born about the time his planet joined the Federation (which I had previously suggested was a feel-good political move by the Federation following the end of the Dominion war).

So, quite a few more ripples than you may have thought.

I admit I've not read much of the Titania recently, but there's no mention of QSD in the bio so I'm struggling to see how this was an issue from his background. Of course, this is just my perception of the matter.

As for Zamha, if he is still 22 then that would put his birth in 2380. That allows for 4 years for Selay's admittance to the Federation, and would still fit nicely with your current backstory.

#11 Lt Zamha

Lt Zamha

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 321 posts

Posted Star Date 22209.24 @ 05:26 (05:26 AM)

I admit I've not read much of the Titania recently, but there's no mention of QSD in the bio so I'm struggling to see how this was an issue from his background. Of course, this is just my perception of the matter.

Because I had to write those out while creating the character. It's the character's intent to become a QSD expert; I had included some things in his background that he discovered or inferred because of that focus and study of the available information, but I was told to remove them because, outside of the former Pathfinder project and certain parts of Star Fleet Command and the CoE, no one would have any knowledge of them, not even to make educated guesses.

#12 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.24 @ 19:09 (07:09 PM)

That would still be true anyway. Slipstream is an experimental technology and they're not going to trust Cadets with that - nor are all of Voyager's deeds (and misdeeds) going to be public knowledge...

Becoming an expert is character development, it's not something you should have from the start...unless you're Wesley Crusher and the less said about him, the better...

#13 Lt Xenara Xardeen

Lt Xenara Xardeen

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 848 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • USS Geronimo, CR-75250
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.24 @ 23:35 (11:35 PM)

Yeah being Wesley Crusher is nothing to be BRAGGINS about...

I'll see myself to the nearest airlock...

I kinda have mixed feelings about this. I've been off and on (more on) since the early days (late 2001)so while I kinda agree with Abigail, I do think this site's history needs a slight makeover. 

#14 LCdr Maggie Murphy

LCdr Maggie Murphy

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Chief Tactical Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.25 @ 02:00 (02:00 AM)

The only/main issue[s] I see are with integrating all the "new" stuff with the existing things on the site's wiki. That's gonna be a lot of work. And those of us who haven't watched "Nu" Trek are going to have to now, just to catch up and know what's going on. I think, if this happens, we're going to need to be told reaaaaal specifically what's now/new site canon, so things don't get messed up. I can just see me personally forgetting what's now allowed, and having to check the wiki six thousand times or something.

#15 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.25 @ 02:47 (02:47 AM)

The only/main issue[s] I see are with integrating all the "new" stuff with the existing things on the site's wiki. That's gonna be a lot of work. And those of us who haven't watched "Nu" Trek are going to have to now, just to catch up and know what's going on. I think, if this happens, we're going to need to be told reaaaaal specifically what's now/new site canon, so things don't get messed up. I can just see me personally forgetting what's now allowed, and having to check the wiki six thousand times or something.

I get that by making this change we are adding in new content that people might feel they need to engage with, but historically FS has always catered to members with greater or lesser interest in the actual shows. If you're not interested/able to watch the newer stuff coming out, this really doesn't change a whole lot. It's never been a requirement to eat, drink and breathe Star Trek to enjoy the site for what it is - a collaborative writing board, nor will it ever be.

As for the wiki stuff; we're fortunate to have extremely dedicated wiki people to make those changes. Between Memory Alpha for canon research and our own wiki for FS-specifics, even someone who has only a passing interest in Star Trek should be able to enjoy their time here as a productive member of the community.

#16 Mid Victoria Vega

Mid Victoria Vega

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Discord:trekker72405#1915
  • Tactical Officer
  • USS Charon, RSV-88003
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.25 @ 03:22 (03:22 AM)

I wouldn't have ever thought watching the new shows would even be mandatory. A character might have bare-bones basic info about something that happened, but unless they're a 'history buff' about it most stuff is going to be locked behind personal logs and such. At least that's my thought.

#17 Lt Lois Lim

Lt Lois Lim

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 375 posts
  • Discord:Klomak
  • Chief Medical Officer
  • USS Titania, RSV 88002
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.25 @ 09:14 (09:14 AM)

I'm old enough to remember watching the original series on TV, and I've been in and out of Federation Space since 2006. I have had so much fun over those years and I'm really enjoying it again now. Thank you to all those who do the hard work.

I understand, appreciate and respect what RAdm Abigail Taylor has written. If I may quote the Late Queen Elizabeth ll "Grief is the price we pay for love." I love the Federation Space game and what President Beckett establish 22 years age. But I find myself asking would past presidents/owners of the Federation Space game want the game to stick to only The Original Star Trek (TOS) or to change with the new series and developments in Star Trek as it changes and develops. Yes, TOS gave us a legacy, and that legacy has been built on and enriched ever since. (Perhaps an acknowledgement of that legacy in a Prologue  of the proposed new FS history would be appropriate if we don’t have the original history stated.)

I am saddened by Aaron's departure, as I was with the other two presidents and a few Captains and players, but in life, change is constant, we must respect the decisions of others. Federation Space is a game and has gone through many changes, for the enjoyment of the players and like life it also will (must) change with the times and circumstances.  I think that Federation Space and Star Trek itself has moved on from the first chapters of the Star Trek/Federation Space book.

For example, when I develop a new character, I have done that seven or eight times, I always check the Federation Space history and try and incorporate some of that history into my Bio's. Developing a character today I would not look that far back to that bridging history that President Beckett developed when starting the game. Federation Space has moved on, as Star Trek has moved on.

I haven't watched much of the new series, except 1 season of Discovery which I enjoyed and a half season of Picard, which I personally didn't like much. I don't know any of the others mentioned, partly because I don't have the streaming services to do so. I would watch some of them if I did. I didn't think that the changes proposed were game breakers, or would make that much difference to the way we play the Federation Space game. I thought it would allow an expansion for some if not all new series to be considered as canon and therefore make Federation Space more attractive to newer and younger players.

That's why I voted in favour of the changes.

If we can keep President Becketts legacy, good.

The important thing is not what we keep or lose of Federation Space history. (No disrespect intended.) The important thing is having a history that is consistent when all the Star Trek series to be used are married into one history of Federation Space for the benefit of its players and the newer players coming into the game.

Edited by Lt Lois Lim, Star Date 22209.25 @ 09:14 (09:14 AM).

#18 Capt Jennifer Braggins

Capt Jennifer Braggins

Creative Director

• Administrators
  • 1965 posts
  • Commanding Officer
  • Link to BIO

Posted Star Date 22209.26 @ 00:51 (12:51 AM)

Thank you to everyone who voted or voiced their opinion in this matter. The poll is now closed and the Admins will consult on how to implement this change.