Secrets of a Legacy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mid Miles Grant

Mid Miles Grant

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted Star Date 22211.21 @ 13:28 (01:28 PM)

==Subplot Thread for Miles Grant's Transition to Tactical==

Miles didn't know where the message came from. When it originated. Or why his family had not been informed of it before now. Yet, here he was, with a message his father, Commander Orlando Grant, had prepared for Miles before his death in what is now known as the Krynar War.

He had yet to watch the message. He wasn't sure what awaited him. The only thing he knew was to seek out a certain Officer regarding his father. When his father had been recalled for the events that led to his death, he had dealt with many young, promising Officers. One such person served briefly with his father during the events, and Miles had wanted to speak to the man before getting into what his father's message might pertain.

As such, after the events of Utopia Planitia, which he'd rather not think about at this time, and a possible upcoming transfer to the Artemis, if his request to Captain Crawford went through, he found himself at Star Base Alpha, orbiting Earth. He thought briefly that, once this was all said and done, he may have some time to visit Lina.

Making his way to the Office as per the directions he had been given, he stood looking at the name plate by the door.

[Commander Jason Simmons-Strategic Operations and Tactical Liaison]

Filling himself with resolve, he pressed the button to announce his arrival. Hearing a baritone "Enter", he took a breath, as the doors before him opened.

==TBC==

#2 Mid Miles Grant

Mid Miles Grant

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted Star Date 22211.21 @ 21:11 (09:11 PM)

==Temp NRC Commander Jason Simmons-Strategic Operations and Tactical Liaison, Star Base Alpha (Old Bio) Tac-cdr.jpg==

Jason was going over the latest reports he had been assigned to process before his shift was set to end. Pretty basic reports regarding Fleet movements and any notable encounters. Overall, Jason acted a "middle man" of sorts to help filter the reports to the proper personnel and ensuring those that needed immediate review were done so expeditiously. He sighed, as this particular batch didn't have anything of high importance.

He sighed, thinking not for the first time of the events that led him here. He had done what he had dreamed of doing since joining Star Fleet: Having a Command of his own. First, the Ozaki, which had been lost at the Battle of the Borg Megasphere. And then, the Nikola Tesla. A failure right out of the gate. He knew he held full blame for what happened on the last mission, which ended with a Romulan spy getting away with Federation intel. Jason had not been a part of the investigation team, as he had been on board the Tesla trying his best to keep the peace between the Federation and the Romulans that had been present when they attempted to rescue the Nightingale.

Even still, he knew the issues had run deeper than that. In an effort to calm the masses, Star Fleet had tried to put a focus on exploration. Which Jason could understand, and even agree with to a degree. Jason believed the biggest flaw to that came from it was the production of the Merian-class vessels, which focused a little too much on exploration, without the thought of ensuring the ships could protect themselves or others in the case of an emergency.

And the Tesla had been pushed into such a situation with the rescue mission. There was no real threat of force, because Jason knew as well as the Romulans that the Tesla probably wouldn't be a match for what the Romulans brought to the table. They had to rely on Romulan good will, which, from experience, only lasted as long as there was benefit to the Romulans.

He knew he wasn't alone at fault for the events that transpired, but, as Captain, he took all punishment that would have been divvied out to his crew, and became the scapegoat Star Fleet needed (wanted). Luckily, he had only been knocked down a rank and put behind a desk. At the start of it, he had been itching for a way of redemption. To get back out, even if it meant not getting Command again.

And then, he looked at the pictures that dotted his office. Of him and Addi. He had been able to be there for her. Be there for her and their now-two-year-old son, Andrew. A fitting name, as both a namesake for Jason's middle name, as well as the name of Addi's first husband. Jason held no ill will that he was not Addi's first love, and Andrew Donaghue had been a great man, even if Jason had never met him. And, looking at the most recent picture taken about two months ago, to be there for their unborn daughter.

He was brought out of his reverie as the chime to his door went off. He checked the time to notate he was due to meet a Security Midshipman who had wanted to discuss something of importance regarding the Midshipman's father, one Commander Orlando Grant. Jason remembered the Senior Officer during the start of the Krynar War, and that the man had died sometime before Jason's promotion to Lieutenant Commander. He had instilled a lot of good lessons into Jason from their brief time working together, but he was a little curious as to what the man's son could want with Jason.

Whatever it was, Jason was willing to talk to the younger man.

"Enter," he said, his baritone voice carrying through the decent-sized office. He looked to the door expectantly as Miles Grant entered.

==TBC==

#3 Mid Miles Grant

Mid Miles Grant

• Player Account
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted Star Date 22211.23 @ 05:45 (05:45 AM)

As Miles entered the office, he took a look around. Definitely not spacious like an Admiral's Office, but Miles would probably place it as slightly smaller than Commander Sahkt's office back on Utopia Planitia. His eyes quickly made their way to the man sitting behind the only desk in the room.

The man, who Miles noted must be Commander Simmons, stood from his desk and approached Miles with a small smile. He was slightly shorter than Miles, brunette with a crew cut, and a well-maintained goatee. Miles almost immediately after remembering he was in the presence of a Command-level Officer, stood at attention. He did note the other man's smile slightly disappear momentarily, and there was a sad recollection in his eyes. Jason sighed as he addressed Miles.

"At ease, Midshipman," he said. He gave a chuckle. "That reminded me of another Security Officer from my old Command. Anyways, please, have a seat." Jason indicated to one of the seats at the desk. Miles nodded and thanked the older man, as the other offered him something to drink.

"No, thank you, sir," Miles responded as he sat down. Jason nodded as he sat as well. He moved the file he had been working on to the side so he could pay full attention to Miles.

"So," Jason began. "I know you wanted a meeting with me regarding your father. How can I help?"

"I recently found out about a message he had left for me prior to his death," Miles stated. "I haven't taken the opportunity to view it as of yet, but I was told if anyone could give me some insight into him at the end of his life, as well as what the message says, it would be best to seek you or some others out. All with Tactical backgrounds. You were one of the few still reachable, whether due to assignments or deaths, so I thought you would be a good place to start."

Jason listened intently on Miles' words, mulling over why he, among everyone, would have such insight to the older Grant. As Miles finished, Jason sat momentarily, before sighing.

"Well, I'm not sure what exactly I could say that you probably haven't already been told about your father and his last bit of time on duty." Jason paused. "Orlando had such a sound, Tactical mind when he was teaching one of us younger guys something, or on the Bridge of a starship. It was like art. Really helped a lot of us when it came to our own strategies and tactics, especially against an overwhelming enemy such as the Krynar...and the Borg." Another pause as Jason considered the next step.

"I think it best," he continued, "if you played the message. Whether here or alone. Whatever it is, it's meant for you. I don't know what path the message will take you down, but I know it will help."

Miles nodded at Jason's words. With some hesitation, he brought the PADD with the message up. Accessing the file, there was another brief pause before he opened the message.

==TBC==