10-02-2026, 09:55 PM
Mara stayed silent as the crew worked, taking in everything they were saying and all the responses. There was an intense look in her eyes as she watched the viewscreen.
"On it." Aeryn was straight to work.
"No response yet Sir," Hallowette reported. "I have the hail repeating on their original frequency, and I'm monitoring adjacent bands in case they answer somewhere else." She turned slightly in her chair, teal eyes falling on the center chair, "If they answer, we won't miss it."
“Gotcha,” Mara replied. “Actually, while you’re there, update the log. The planet designated 285-U-2 II is now known as Nalim. That’s wha’ they call it, good enough for me. I’m not repeatin’ a name that reads like a comm frequency when people there are in the shit.”
[Understood, Bridge. I'll see what I can find out for you, Commander. And we have two GR-77 water replicators in Cargo Bay 3, along with eight collapsible cisterns. Engineering can make more of both without too much effort. Plenty of emergency food rations in Cargo Six, and we can turn the replicators on the ship loose to make as many more as we can. I guess it'll depend on the needs of the planet, but I'll get my people organized so we're ready to go as soon as we arrive.]
The reply from Sickbay made Mara nod appreciatively. That was exactly why she’d called on the CMO to help out. There was a pause before Robin continued.
[Mayfair to Bridge. Unfortunately we've got no more information than you have access to. There's no medical info available on the planet. We'll have to wing it. Recommend I join whatever initial away team you organize. I'll need to assess the situation on the ground and take some scans.]
“Thanks. An’ agreed,” Calleja replied. “Havin’ someone view this from a humanitarian standpoint is exactly wha’ we need. Get a team of your own ready in case we need more than just th’ one medic. Will update you when I know more. Bridge out.”
"We might not have any medical information, but I've got plenty regarding the planet," Aeryn reported.
Mara was straight up and walked round to her friend’s station, so she could follow the report. The CSO had plenty of detail, and that same intensity was all too visible in Calleja’s eyes as she took it all in.
“OK,” she said when Miller had finished, walking back round to her chair. “This is fo’ everyone. Can we establish whose colony this is? I really wan’ us down there, boots on th’ ground, helpin’ these people. But. Just ‘cause they knew we were ‘ere an’ they were hailin’ us, don’t mean that th’ Prime Directive ain’t somethin’ we gotta consider. What’s their tech level? Are they ready fo’ us beamin’ down? What about replicators an’ phasers, particularly if we gotta restore order?”
She looked over at Maxas-Darl.
“Keep us on course. I’m hopin’ that this is just another one o’ my paranoid delusions,” Mara said with a faint smile. “Please prove me wrong, an’ show me tha’ Nalim is safe for us to help without havin’ to use kid gloves.”
== Tag all! ==
"On it." Aeryn was straight to work.
"No response yet Sir," Hallowette reported. "I have the hail repeating on their original frequency, and I'm monitoring adjacent bands in case they answer somewhere else." She turned slightly in her chair, teal eyes falling on the center chair, "If they answer, we won't miss it."
“Gotcha,” Mara replied. “Actually, while you’re there, update the log. The planet designated 285-U-2 II is now known as Nalim. That’s wha’ they call it, good enough for me. I’m not repeatin’ a name that reads like a comm frequency when people there are in the shit.”
[Understood, Bridge. I'll see what I can find out for you, Commander. And we have two GR-77 water replicators in Cargo Bay 3, along with eight collapsible cisterns. Engineering can make more of both without too much effort. Plenty of emergency food rations in Cargo Six, and we can turn the replicators on the ship loose to make as many more as we can. I guess it'll depend on the needs of the planet, but I'll get my people organized so we're ready to go as soon as we arrive.]
The reply from Sickbay made Mara nod appreciatively. That was exactly why she’d called on the CMO to help out. There was a pause before Robin continued.
[Mayfair to Bridge. Unfortunately we've got no more information than you have access to. There's no medical info available on the planet. We'll have to wing it. Recommend I join whatever initial away team you organize. I'll need to assess the situation on the ground and take some scans.]
“Thanks. An’ agreed,” Calleja replied. “Havin’ someone view this from a humanitarian standpoint is exactly wha’ we need. Get a team of your own ready in case we need more than just th’ one medic. Will update you when I know more. Bridge out.”
"We might not have any medical information, but I've got plenty regarding the planet," Aeryn reported.
Mara was straight up and walked round to her friend’s station, so she could follow the report. The CSO had plenty of detail, and that same intensity was all too visible in Calleja’s eyes as she took it all in.
“OK,” she said when Miller had finished, walking back round to her chair. “This is fo’ everyone. Can we establish whose colony this is? I really wan’ us down there, boots on th’ ground, helpin’ these people. But. Just ‘cause they knew we were ‘ere an’ they were hailin’ us, don’t mean that th’ Prime Directive ain’t somethin’ we gotta consider. What’s their tech level? Are they ready fo’ us beamin’ down? What about replicators an’ phasers, particularly if we gotta restore order?”
She looked over at Maxas-Darl.
“Keep us on course. I’m hopin’ that this is just another one o’ my paranoid delusions,” Mara said with a faint smile. “Please prove me wrong, an’ show me tha’ Nalim is safe for us to help without havin’ to use kid gloves.”
== Tag all! ==
