Captain Brooks Surprise 40th Birthday Party
Once again, Kalli was on her own, but just as she was considering trying to slip away, Cindy approached. "Kalli, I wanted to catch you before you disappeared. I know how you dislike these gatherings."

Kalli shrugged, "I'm getting better with them. It takes practice. It's nice to see you again."

Cindy smiled, "I wanted to tell you that I'm impressed with your progress with DeeDee. It can be a tricky thing, but you seem to be giving the program good exposure to the environment so that the databases it forms will give it good context. Without good references, it is more likely to misunderstand or miscommunicate at a critical moment. I think you've established a solid foundation for it."

Kalli was puzzled, "I haven't shown it to you lately. When did..."

Cindy gave a look of mock embarrassment, "I couldn't access the code itself, but it was connecting to the public network, so we talked. Since you had introduced us, it recognized my protocols and interacted beyond simple observation. You've done well with securing it and using proper encryption. You would be surprised how many people try to poke their noses into things."

Kalli's eyebrows raised, but she continued to listen.

"I like that you're socializing it a bit, so it will develop a smoother interface. People often object to Alex that I'm a synthetic life form and they even get quite upset about it. We find it a flattering testimony to how effective my design is, but it took many years for me to reach this level of comprehensive interaction."

Kalli grinned and nodded understanding, "Yes, Alex and I spoke about that extensively. You're quite convincing. I can see how it wouldn't take much to make that difference. The fact that it comes down to the order of your engrams is enlightening to the point of bordering on paradoxical, it really makes me think hard about the philosophy of what we're doing."

Cindy nodded slowly, "You also see why some things remain secret. Without being tempered by understanding, the raw information becomes too dangerous for someone to just play with randomly. Fortunately, your work is quite utilitarian and is not trying to tread too close to that line. Keep up the good work. I suspect it will save many life's in the future."

Kalli raised her glass and they silently toasted to the idea.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Captain Brooks Surprise 40th Birthday Party - by Kalli Thorn - 06-07-2024, 08:06 PM