AT/D02 - CO & FO Quarters
“Thanks,” he said as he took the glass gratefully from Ju.

“I’m not sure I’m confident enough to eat messy ribs in front of you just yet…”

That drew a grin from Damian. Despite knowing Ju a bit, he definitely didn’t know her yet. They’d had some correspondence after DS9, but it wasn’t the same as actually sitting down and hanging together one on one, in person. Either way, it told him something not just about Ju, but about them.

“How about a stirfry or .. I’m pretty simple, hamburger and French fries are fine too.”

“Damn girl, you are anything but simple; though I could rock a stir fry yeah,” Damian’s smile widened as he let out a chuckle, flashing his pearly whites at Ju.

“But first,” Ju had said before tapping his glass with hers, “Geonbae!”

“Geonbae!”

Damian had exclaimed the word right back out of reflex, even though he had no clue what it meant, though he easily guessed what it might be. There was also the realization that he had probably butchered the pronunciation of it. Then he threw the contents of his glass into his gullet and swallowed, letting the warmth fill him up. If they were going to be crushing drinks, Damian figured it would probably be smart to get some food into them. The kind of stuff that he kept in his bar was proper alcohol, not the synthehol that other ships might expect. Sure he did keep some enzymes in a couple of hyposprays for situations where a Red Alert came up. Though, in recent history, Damian’s thirst for booze had increased exponentially, and it was taking much more for it to hit him properly.

Once Ju confirmed what Damian had thought ‘geonbae’ meant, he nodded his head. A mental note appeared in his mind, telling him that there might be some homework needed when it came to Ju. Though he’d already done some of that even if it was mostly taste testing things to make sure his palette would be good. What he found is that he loved Korean cuisine, particularly the spicier dishes with gochujang and kimchi.

“Well, I better admit this straight up then, I’ve been doing a little studying,” Damian poured them another, smaller amount of the Igang-ju into their glasses.

“Not language studying mind you. That probably would have been the smarter place to start.”

Damian chuckled then took another sip of his drink, before meandering over to the replicator. Once there he started looking through several menu items that were Korean, or Korean inspired, particularly the ones he favorited. It didn’t take long for him to narrow it down to a few tasty stir frys.

“Some people who immerse themselves into other cultures probably focus on the language, cultural observations, you know, the nuances of it all. Me? Food and drink. Well, most food and drinks; anything that isn’t a marmalade or that has too much fruit pulp in it.”

Once more, Damian couldn’t help but chuckle as he placed his drink down for a moment and started replicating things. First thing he replicated was ice cold water in a big pitcher, which he moved to the larger table near the bar.

“Usually we only ate big dinners every once in a while, and then only if I wasn’t off being stupid,” Damian spoke all throughout getting the food ready and on the table.

Then he got onto the banchan: kimchi, bap, gim-gui, sigeumchi namul, and a kongnamul guk. After that, he set out extra gochujang, some ssamjang, lettuce boats, and some other fillings in case they wanted to eat the stir fry like a wrap.

“Anita, my older sister, she’d make us a banquet whenever my parents were away too long. We had to grow up fast as you might imagine. Somehow I always knew when the big meal was coming up, and so I’d make my way back to where we had quarters on the starbase. That’s when Jessica, my little sister, would bug the hell outta me, getting mad at me for being away for too long. ‘Nita would shush us and tell us to come to the table. Then we’d eat this big ol’ meal. It always looked like way too much for all of us kids to eat, and yet, most of the dishes were gone by the time it was all done.”

Finally, he replicated one of his favorited dishes that he had already tried once, some dak galbi.

“Those were always good times. I’d read Jess a story before bed, and then I’d catch up with Nita on all the goings ons. Usually until late.”

Coleman had purposefully placed the seat settings next to each other, that way they wouldn’t be spaced out the whole length of the table. He also made sure that there was some soju on the table too, along with glasses, cutlery, and linen napkins.

“You’ll have to forgive me if I missed something,” he stood at the table gesturing for Ju to sit down in the seat next to him, and he continued standing until she did sit, “I’m still learning.”

Dutifully, Damian waited for Ju to dish some food up for herself first before helping himself to the food. It was something he had done ever since he was a kid, letting his sisters dish up for him. Ever since, it always stuck. Even if courses were served at a sit down fancy function, he still waited until everyone at the table had their plates.

“So, for the first thing, you gotta a choice of questions you can answer. How are you enjoying the Magnificent Artemis?” he smiled warmly up into his eyes, before a more devious sort of grin altered his expression.

“Or. What did you and Tyra chat about regarding us? And me?”

Messages In This Thread
AT/D02 - CO & FO Quarters - by Tyra Crawford - 08-12-2023, 10:00 PM
RE: AT/D02 - CO & FO Quarters - by Tyra Crawford - 08-19-2023, 12:36 PM
RE: AT/D02 - CO & FO Quarters - by Tyra Crawford - 05-29-2024, 02:35 AM
RE: AT/D02 - CO & FO Quarters - by Damien Coleman - 06-07-2024, 02:13 AM
RE: AT/D02 - CO & FO Quarters - by Eun Ju Han - 06-07-2024, 10:22 PM
RE: AT/D02 - CO & FO Quarters - by Damien Coleman - 06-12-2024, 12:26 AM
RE: AT/D02 - CO & FO Quarters - by Eun Ju Han - 06-14-2024, 01:52 AM
RE: AT/D02 - CO & FO Quarters - by Tyra Crawford - 06-14-2024, 12:04 PM
RE: AT/D02 - CO & FO Quarters - by Tyra Crawford - 06-17-2024, 03:19 PM
RE: AT/D02 - CO & FO Quarters - by Damien Coleman - 06-19-2024, 02:55 AM