AQ/D32-35 - Main Engineering
Kalli was impressed with his knowledge of his coffee making. She was getting a feel for the kind of technical mind he had and how he approached subjects. It was easy for her to appreciate such things about people.

When he commented about the drones, she chuckled, "Oh, I can't take much credit for what I'm currently working on. The drones were an existing technology that has been relatively under used. Commander Talion made some modifications by adapting current technologies in new ways and trying to encourage people to explore the possibilities. Some are as simple as allowing an EMH to be able to function in the field, for emergency purposes. Our conversations mostly revolved around the idea that in small ways, such programs could augment a small Away Team, especially when a qualified crew member is not available, or there might not be room for enough people to fit into a transport vehicle for some mundane task assistance. At the same time...um..."

She hesitated a moment, trying to pick her words carefully, "...well...the Commander has been well known for his less conventional programs. Cindy is a very good example. Even though I understand the difference between a simulated personality and a sentient program, the problem is that not everyone else does. I will spare you the finer points of it, but I deliberately have chosen to create a program that is less able to be mistaken for a person, while still being highly functional and having a favorable interface style. Most people don't have an issue working with an intelligently built and pleasant machine. The problems and confusion enter into things when they aren't sure if it's a person or not. I find people are much more productive and able to make snap decisions when it is clear that the program and device is not something they will anthropomorphize. Much like the use of a tricorder or any other tool, I'm trying to create a version of his drones that help us make those life or death decisions as quickly and accurately as possible, hoping to save more lives as a result."

Kalli paused and looked into her cup of coffee for a moment, before adding in a somewhat sobering tone, "I've...seen lots of bad things happen to people. Most of the time, things go well and we're able to bring peace to places and enjoy the wonders of exploration. However, when things go wrong, they tend to do so very quickly. Add Space and hostile encounters into the mix and you find out how quickly every second counts. That's part of why I specialized in Damage Control and did so well with it in the Academy. I can appreciate how his holographics can be used to imitate life forms and so on, but I mostly only use it to have the drone render itself invisible to the naked eye, so that bystanders are not made nervous by the presence of a drone hovering near them. Instead of using it to engage, it tries not to be a distraction. I do make use of it for simple interface exchanges, but I strive to keep things simple and effective."

She finally looked up and her smile returned, in a shy sort of way, "I would certainly love to take you up on that lab time though. So far I've mostly been making my modifications in my quarters or on holodecks. I would also love to hear your thoughts on the use of such devices."

== Tag Niels ==

Messages In This Thread
AQ/D32-35 - Main Engineering - by Paul - 03-02-2024, 02:35 AM
RE: AQ/D32-35 - Main Engineering - by Kalli Thorn - 06-12-2024, 07:36 AM
RE: AQ/D32-35 - Main Engineering - by Kalli Thorn - 06-12-2024, 05:36 PM
RE: AQ/D32-35 - Main Engineering - by Kalli Thorn - 06-13-2024, 06:25 AM
RE: AQ/D32-35 - Main Engineering - by Kalli Thorn - 06-20-2024, 01:10 AM
RE: AQ/D32-35 - Main Engineering - by Kalli Thorn - 06-22-2024, 12:25 AM
RE: AQ/D32-35 - Main Engineering - by Kalli Thorn - 07-06-2024, 05:47 AM
RE: AQ/D32-35 - Main Engineering - by Kalli Thorn - 07-11-2024, 09:42 PM
RE: AQ/D32-35 - Main Engineering - by Kalli Thorn - 07-18-2024, 12:45 AM
RE: AQ/D32-35 - Main Engineering - by Kalli Thorn - 07-31-2024, 02:28 AM