AT/D08 - Medical Complex
Beka was definitely much more relaxed. “I remember when I came here, I was so hell-bent on trying to make a run at CMO. But the longer I’ve been here, the more I understand why the job has burned out so many people. There’s so much going on under the surface. It’s taken a mind like yours to get it all under control. I’m just happy to do my bit keeping you going. And maybe that involves a few of the conversations in dark corners that you can’t be seen to have, so that you don’t have to let that cynicism show just yet.”

"Thanks," Robin replied. "And yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too. If you need to have those conversations, then what I don't know won't hurt me." Robin grinned. The two had been friends long enough for Beka to understand anything left unstated. Truth was there was almost nothing going on in the Artemis Sickbays that the CMO didn't know about. She just chose to pretend she didn't know. As long as her staff showed up, did their jobs professionally, and didn't screw up or break the law then it was best to let people be. Besides, knowing about them meant she could rein in anything that might become a problem. And for those occasions, well, Beka had the force of will and (now) full authority to step in as well.

“So what do you make of all this noise about our last mission?” the redhead asked. “I know it doesn’t really affect us down here too much. But there’s so much talk of JAG inquiries, and there’s a captain going round asking questions like they’re doing some kind of investigation. I’ve seen her a few times with members of the crew. I’m not as close with Crawford as some of you but I’d hate to see anything happen to her. Or anyone else just because they were senior at the time.”

"Nobody's talked to me. Yet. Which is kinda odd. the whole thing ticks me off. Starfleet gives us an impossible mission, off the books, as part of a major push to drive out the Cardassians... then hangs us out to dry. Elias and Crawford especially. I'm not a paranoid person but I've come to the conclusion that someone in the brass wants Tyra Crawford's scalp, at the very least. They're cutting away pieces of the crew, one by one. Bloody politics."

She shook her head. "Yeah, I'm worried. For her, for me, for all of us. If not for Crawford I'd probably be scrubbing bedpans as an Ensign on Deep Space 12. I haven't seen any sign that my head's on the chopping block, but I know there are eyes on me... and if I screw up then my days will be numbered. I doubt that they'd let an Augment stay on as CMO, especially a nurse."

The nurse sighed. "It is what it is. Whatever happens we'll manage. We always do." Robin hoped her voice sounded more confident than she felt. She doubted it.

== Tag ==

Messages In This Thread
AT/D08 - Medical Complex - by Tyra Crawford - 07-17-2024, 01:29 AM
RE: AT/D08 - Medical Complex - by Robin Mayfair - 07-19-2024, 12:01 PM
RE: AT/D08 - Medical Complex - by Beka Sydesh - 07-20-2024, 12:17 AM
RE: AT/D08 - Medical Complex - by Robin Mayfair - 07-20-2024, 06:16 PM
RE: AT/D08 - Medical Complex - by Beka Sydesh - 07-27-2024, 12:14 AM
RE: AT/D08 - Medical Complex - by Robin Mayfair - 07-27-2024, 01:09 PM
RE: AT/D08 - Medical Complex - by Beka Sydesh - 08-02-2024, 09:37 PM
RE: AT/D08 - Medical Complex - by Robin Mayfair - 08-03-2024, 07:45 PM
RE: AT/D08 - Medical Complex - by Beka Sydesh - 08-11-2024, 12:08 AM
RE: AT/D08 - Medical Complex - by Robin Mayfair - 08-25-2024, 01:15 AM