YE/E02 - SS Lord Franklin
Jenny backed away from the periscope as she heard Arwen retrieving something from the floor and starting to speak. The name was that of the ship, so he'd obviously found her commissioning plaque, but the registry and launch date did not match Jenny's expectations. Moving over to where her Science Officer stood,, Jenny lightly relieved him of the metal plate and let her fingers run over the lettering.

“Strange that this never came up in my research. So it was presumably returned and converted for space travel some time between 2040 and its disappearance in 2155.”

It hadn't come up in Jenny's research either, but it made sense; most DY-series ships had been converted from submarines, mostly while still under construction but more than one had reputably been converted after decommissioning as warfighting vessels. Had the Franklin been one of those? Given her commissioning number, Jenny had to assume so.

"I can't say I'm surprised, we don't have a lot of reliable information about the time surrounding Earth's Third World War. Also look here, Dreadnought-class S-S-B-N; the Franklin was a Ballistic Missile Submarine, at some point she would have carried up to a dozen missiles, each with half a dozen or so nuclear warheads aboard."

Maybe she even fired some of the shots that almost ended mankind...

Standing silently with the commissioning plaque for a moment, Jenny was still aware of Hydish and Kiernan descending into the bowels of the ship and Qi interfacing with the computer. Judging by the tone of his voice, he wasn't particularly pleased by what he had discovered. It was odd, given that's what his theory had been, how many scientists in the universe disliked being proven right? Perhaps Qi was not your average scientist.

“Human separatists after all. I’m tempted to say that they bought the ticket, so they should take the ride. Fortunately for them, the galaxy has evolved beyond that kind of primitive vindictiveness. Now let’s get them out of here before the Cardassians blow us up for trespassing.”

Moving to stand beside him and look at the same records he was viewing, Jenny's eyes narrowed on names and tried to wrack her brain for whether or not she'd ever read about these people; her memory, while enhanced, was still a step short of eidetic (though it was near-enough), and names were a particular weakness. Frowning as she continued to read, Jenny couldn't help but feel like she agreed with Qi's initial assessment; these people had tried to leave the known galaxy behind, who was she to drag them back kicking and screaming? Then again, the ship had broadcast a distress call, which meant she was legally and morally obliged to do just that if the situation called for it.

"I wouldn't be so sure about the primitive vindictiveness; even in Starfleet, when you get that third solid pip, things start to get political and the hatchets start being hidden behind backs. Plus, to be fair to these people, the mid-2150s weren't the best time for Earth; Starfleet had only been exploring deep space for a year, and then the Xindi show up and all but destroyed Florida, promising to finish the job with a bigger weapon. Vulcan extremists blew up Earth's embassy on Vulcan. Then tensions with the Romulans start building. All of this less than a century after the end of the Third World War. If I was living on Earth during this time and wanted to assure the safety of my family, I'd probably consider hijacking a ship and running for the starts as well!"

Messages In This Thread
YE/E02 - SS Lord Franklin - by GM-01 - 08-13-2024, 02:33 PM
RE: YE/E02 - SS Lord Franklin - by Arwen Qi - 08-20-2024, 11:52 PM
RE: YE/E02 - SS Lord Franklin - by GM-01 - 08-26-2024, 01:50 AM
RE: YE/E02 - SS Lord Franklin - by Arwen Qi - 08-30-2024, 06:15 AM
RE: YE/E02 - SS Lord Franklin - by Altairi Hydish - 09-01-2024, 05:35 PM
RE: YE/E02 - SS Lord Franklin - by Jennifer Braggins - 09-02-2024, 06:27 PM
RE: YE/E02 - SS Lord Franklin - by GM-01 - 09-04-2024, 12:56 AM
RE: YE/E02 - SS Lord Franklin - by Arwen Qi - 09-09-2024, 06:41 AM
RE: YE/E02 - SS Lord Franklin - by GM-01 - 09-15-2024, 06:20 PM